Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• herrmdoggherrmdogg Member Posts: 69
    Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't been around much, I've been busy getting my girlfriend (who just moved back up here from Texas) and I moved in and buying new stuff for the new place ... when you live with a girl, they money tends to go other places than into your car. It's cool though, cuz I've been able to customize the rooms and buy some SWEET contemporary wierd looking furniture and that 65" TV I've been wanting all while killing 2 birds with 1 stone ... I'm buying cool "guy stuff" that I want while at the same time it's "home stuff" so that keeps her happy too. =) I'll be getting back to the G-RIDE when the snow hits though. Well that is my public apology for not posting ... hope you all accept it and BLAME MY GIRLFRIEND !!! LOL !!! =)

http://members.cardomain.com/herrmdogg

HerrmDogg

• scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I can hear the chicken littles now, after a car with chameleon paint is used as a getaway car after a bank robbery: "A car whose color changes? Only a criminal would need that. Ban it!"
  • phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    if you can imagine i get many emails from ppl seeing my web site. anyway, can soemone give me the links to the sites that show the clock face installaions (scot) and side markers (rog)? also rogor, you got any more of those?

thanks in advance,

phases78

http://phases78.homestead.com/300m.html

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    the Hollywood Chrysler service manager said "you mean transmission fluid?" when I asked for differential fluid to be changed at 15K miles.

I guess they are all the same. I mean, not the fluids, but the service managers.

I just let them do what they knew how to do and did not force them to go into unchartered territories.
    I need a 14" length of 1/2" engine breather hose. Does anyone know where to get it?
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Over the past couple of weeks there has a lot of local coverage on the former West Covina Chrysler dealership (California). On a Monday morning, employees arrived to find security and locked premises. The dealership is facing 22 lawsuits from customers who were cheated in various ways. Some of them traded in vehicles and the dealership was supposed to pay off the trade-in loan. Didn't happen. Others found they were paying more than they agreed to over longer lease periods, etc. Others who purchased have not received their pink slips, etc. There have been over 60 complaints to the Better Business Bureau. The DMV is actively requesting anyone that feels they have been cheated to contact them.

The dealership was given $500,000 by the city to locate in West Covina about 5 years ago. Then the City of Azusa offered them $1,200,000 a year later to locate there, which they accepted. Lawsuits ensued and they relocated to West Covina.

They wanted West Covina to give them $500,000 to get out of their current mess, but the city refused. I think they've applied for bankruptcy (the dealership, not the City).

I had a bad experience with this dealership. About a year and a half ago, my wife called them about a loss leader ad for a 300M, which ran every week with the same VIN. I had called other times and was told the vehicle had just been sold. When she inquired about the vehicle, they said they couldn't find it, so she asked them to look. They said she had to come down. She said she would come down if the vehicle was available. The salesman said that if she wanted a car at that price she had to come down and look for it. She told him if they were advertising a car at that price, they had to have the car available or document its sale. The salesman then said "Let me introduce you to Mr. Click" and hung up.

My wife was furious, called back and demanded to speak to the Manager and raised hell with someone who identified himself as the Manager. He apologized profusedly and told her she could have any base 300M at the loss leader price, if she came down. He also agreed to allow us $15,000 on her 98 Dodge Avenger.

We went down, asked for the Manager, but he wasn't in. However, they would honor any offer he had made. We actually went so far as to choose a vehicle for sale and when the paperwork was presented, the numbers didn't come out. They were charging full MRSP on the 300M and adding $2,000 to the price because the Avenger because it was "worth only $13,000, not $15,000". And they denied offering the loss leader pricing on the phone! When we gave them the name of the Manager, they said they had no one there by that name. That is how they cheated people -- some got confused and signed the papers. I told them they were crooks, I would never do business with them, and walked. I really should have called the BBB.

From what I hear, DC is being pressured to repay all these people if there is no money to pay the lawsuits...
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    What is the part number for the K&N filter people are recommending here? (or if someone could let me know how to search the board better ;)

And do you need to modify anything to use it or is it just a straight swap?

Thanks much!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    easyrider300m-

Oh no- don't even kid about the "Christine Syndrome" with everything going on in the news. Funny thing is, I never had any vibrations, no light shows, no limp mode, no bad window motors, no rattles etc. and mine was an early- built April 98- model.

guesswho1-

When I got my CL-S, I was looking for the wheel weights! Then I realized that I had those stick on weights. How nice. NO scratches on the wheels. WHY don't more alignment places use them? It's better than scratching those beautiful, shiny, aluminum wheels. Hope your back is better.

fuzzywuzzy and ruski-

This weekend, when I was in Keene, NH, I stopped by the Nissan dealer to check out the new Altima with that big engine and duals. Nice looking car. I think it's bigger than the Maxima. The guy wanted me to drive it, but I didn't want to waste his time because I'm not in the market yet! LOL.... I think I now have 9,200, trouble-free miles with 2 dealer visits for oil/filter changes and a tire rotation. So different then Christine.

intrepidspirit-

I THOUGHT the "5-STAR" dealers that I went to in the 33 months that I had Christine were bad, but this guy beat them all!! How's the paint holding up? Are you using Zaino?

Phew- just read the 112 messages that I missed on this long weekend! Still never caught up with the thousands of messages I missed when I was in FL this summer! ;-))

fastdriver
    bummer. I wish you had test driven that Altima, we could compare notes. I need a second opinion on my choice.
    ruski-

If I get a chance soon, I'll see if I can get to a dealer around here and drive one. Anything special to look for- road noise, wind noise, sloppy shifting, sticky windows? Just kidding!

I'll let you know. I think I have your e-mail address.

fastdriver
  • sel714sel714 Member Posts: 35
    We now have over 63,000 on our 300m. Purchased 12/99. We love the car and plan on keeping it for several more years. We also have a 1997 Ford F150 ext cab we purchase new also. It is my daily driver a I like it a lot. I wouldn't be without out a truck have always had one they come in handy. But we have been thinking about getting a new car then I won't he driving my truck everyday.
    The wife will get the new car and I will take the M. I think I can handle that. I showed her the new Altima as we were passing the Nissan dealer Sunday. We would have stopped for a test drive but the car dealers are closed on Sundays. Well yesterday I got my November Road & Track. On the cover 10 hot cars for under $25000. One of the things I really love about the M is the lack of any noticeable Torque steer. Well 5 out of 10 of the test drivers for Road & Track said it has Major Torque steer. If any of you guys test drive one let me not what you think about Torque steer compared to the M .
    sel714
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    It's true that MOST FWD cars do not have a differential. Many people are used to thinking that only exist on a RWD car. This is because MOST FWD cars have the engine TRANSVERSE mounted (sideways) so it is not required. The 300M is a 90 Deg configuration like most RWD cars, so the output shaft of the engine is perpendicular to the axis of the wheels. Therefore a differential is required or typically used to change the direction of the drive output accordingly. It is unusual, but if they would look at how the engine is mounted in our cars, they should understand a differential should be in the car.

Ask them if they remember the Oldsmobile Toronado? It had a differential from 1966 to aprox 1991. They've bound to have serviced one of those before. Although, my dad had one in 1982 and sold it in 1995 with over 200,000 miles and never replaced the gear lube in the differential.

A lot of people don't change the lube in RWD diffs either over the life of the car. It winds up getting replaced when a pinion seal leaks and requires repair. I've always put in some Amsoil synthetic and left it alone for life. Why does Chrysler suggest we change it every 15K and NOT USE synthetic? Today, wouldn't they have a synthetic lube installed from the factory? Otto, do you know the answer to either question?
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Splatt - The K&N is #33-2136. No mods are needed. Just take out the old filter and drop the new one in. Also, here is a link to my "interesting stuff" page, which includes a document showing popular stock and replacement part numbers.

http://www.ritchiefamily.com/links.htm

Phases - Here are my "how to" pages, including spoiler, letter removal, clock face (a different way from how Scott does it), etc.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1620463

thanks!
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Av-- I think that the best hue changing color I have seen is the PPG Harlequin in a gold to silver change over. It was really sharp looking, but at $60 an ounce was too steep for me, even for a racing stripe, hence, I opted for the vinyl stripe.

All--Saw an info video on Dura Lube the other day. Has anyone used their products/additivies for the oil, gas, etc. They supposedly really reduce friction and clean, etc. and they had lots of demos of the products and testimonials in the video. They were not cheap either. Any input?

Special--Got a chuckle out of the ad verbage on the shift knob for the Special from the Canadian web site. Strange, it looks like the exact shift knob on the 99M, that went to the chrome-wood and then back again. And what does "waterfall" leather seats mean? Looked like the normal pattern to me. I don't think I can wait til model year 2004 1/2 for the N. Crossfire may be out before then, and if the interior appearance is improved [after SDMike's input],and it comes with 275hp, I may be tempted if the Chronus is not available or the Caddy Evoq exec. cars hold their inital price too long.

Fuzzy--The Lexus 300 ES just came out, and the ads in our local papers make it look pretty sharp. And its the only thing lately that is close to the M in front end appearance. Looks a lot less like a Buick than the previous models. Never rode in one but for $32K+ or -, you can probably find one. But I don't think the Lexus people negotiate on sticker very much.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Seems some of you are suggesting the ES 300, I'm sorry to say I will never get that. If I get a Lexus I will only get a GS400/GS430. Just like if I ever got a MB, I would only get an E55. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, for a name,(come on that is why they cost so much) I want the car of that name to be better then the lowest priced models. Just my thinking.
    One big difference is that 300M has STANDARD traction control while on the Altima it is optional. It turned out that the Altima that I test drove did not have TC. It did feela bit wild when taking turn and accelerating hard. My impression was that it was missing the lane a bit.
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    sdmike2 - Thanks! I've bookmarked them pages and will prolly get the filter soon. Already looking to order the drl module since it's an easy swap, and may go for the side marker lights, still debating on the work involved.

Can't do a dual exhaust - leased car (that and too pricey for the wife ;)

As for the Altima - I test drove one with my wife when she was looking for a car. I was not impressed. It had that low quality interior feel - was not nearly the standard of the M. For slightly more it is a much better car. She really wanted something just a little more refined. All in all a good value - but if you're looking that price/model check out the Accords - you can get an EX for just a hair over $20k - about 3K more for the 6 cyl, but the vtec 4cyl is a nice engine. The only problem with the 6 is it doesn't come with manual trans - only auto. The manual vtec is faster...
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    I am turning in my 99 300M in a few months so I kinda let it go, i.e., it was dirty inside and out. Since it has been so good to me, I decided to give it one more wash and wax.

Wow. I forgot how beautiful the car is. After 50,000 miles, it still looks and drives like new.
    It has been a pleasure to own.

Ed

PS: the leasing deals on the 300M right now are excellent.
    In the LHS discussion you wrote:

"The difference in H.P between the two motors is the low output 3.5 does not have the manifold tuning valve on the intake plenum that the 3.5 HO uses , also I'm sure the engine computer software is different . If you look at the front of the black intake plenum (look were the top rad hose comes off the motor) of the low output motor you will see were the valve has been removed."

Does any of this apply to a 2000 300M, i.e., do I have this valve? If so, do I want to keep it if I were going to replace the air intake system?
    My 2000 has it.
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    yea mike i'm really loving the PPG paint. they make good stuff. i like the laquer based that they use in House of Kolors tho too. dupont...still have to see them up close yet..

the alero we did was purple to orange to blue. insane. it was off the hook..but..i'm looking for something more aggressive. purple is outta the question for me ;) the orange was phat but maybe a little much. anyway HERM BACK ME up on this, he knows more than this on me right now, but like a pint, like what you used to drink chocolate milk in school, used to be $768, and now you can buy a whole quart, 4 PINTS, for $524! this is dupont btw. a friend painted his car himself, a tiny 89 crx, used like 3 pints of paint, not a good job but still looks badass...it only cost him $400!! $400 for chameleon paint job..wow
    You would never have mistaken this dealership for a 5*...If I had bought a car from them, it would NEVER have gone back there for anything! Of course, the same is true for the dealership I did lease my M from and they were 5* -- I would never go back there...the only difference was the 5* had an air of credibility -- even if it wasn't true! I think most of their training is in how to tell the customer no while appearing to try to help him. LOL...

My paint is holding up very well -- no fading, no discolorization, everything matches (except bumpers, which I think is normal with all Chryslers after a year or so). I have to admit they did have the paint done right after several coats and rejects by me, but they should have swapped the car instead of keeping it for a month and giving me something less than a "new" car. All is forgotten but not forgiven...you know how that goes!

I have 6 coats of Zaino on my Inferno Red M and you KNOW how that shines! I have 5 coats on my wife's 2001 Cinammon Glaze -- looks great, but nothing shines like Inferno Red! I took pictures, but so far haven't figured out how to post them...I'm just not into photography!

From what I hear, you are very happy with your Acura...I'm really glad to hear that!
    This look familiar? Different house, same color and shine! ;)

My house in my car
    Ok, I have another 300M rental in San Jose. Interesting that I had reserved an intrepid (full size) and I declined an offer to upgrade for $10 per day. When I got to my space it was an M. I checked my rental agreement, it said M at the Intrepid price. The lady wasn't even nice at the counter. Strange...

Anyway, it still sickens me what people do to rental cars. This is probably a gorgeous Steel Blue with Taupe interior M (which was my second choice behind what I got), but it's filthy! The seats are all yucked up with lord knows what kind of ick, it's dirty and dusty inside, and there are all kinds of blemishes on the interior...including a football size patch of some adhesive from where something had been stuck to the passenger side door, and even white paint spots on the hood! Yuk!

Again, I appreciate all of the extras I got in my M. The basic stereo is a huge step backwards from the upgraded system (especially with the basslink), and the wood trim that comes with the luxury group is so much nicer. Anyway, enough of my rant. It was still very nice to be able to drive a car that I'm familiar with. I have half a mind to go clean this thing up real good.
    Exactly! However, I prefer the "no-bra" look... :)
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Av-- A pint is 16 ounces, and 2 equal a quart [32oz.] and 4 quarts in a gallon. A pint is not much tho. Milk cartons from school are 1/2 pints.
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    from windy and smokey New York. Thanks, denverm for the nice complements on the website and logo design stuff....'twas nice of you to say. And thanks to easyrider300m for his complements, too.
    Still have strong police presence downtown, considering George W's weekend activities I can certainly understand why. The daily trek in and back home to Jersey is really a pain in the tukus, but I'm glad I can still make it given what happened. I'm always thankful for small favors. My S.O. on the other hand is extremely upset. Given the fact that the WTC is no longer target, that moves my place higher up on the list. There is a ferry-which she has strongly suggested I take-- that runs from Hoboken (fuzzywuzzy knows about that...) to downtown by the South Street Seaport, it will add about another 1/2 hour to my fun-filled commute. Ah to be able to drive eMily into the city, but alas and alack---no parking except for garages and I don't trust them to care for my eM like I do!
    Spent Sunday washing and polishing eMily (sorry, no Zaino for drpixel....used Raindance, GASP!) and even got my 36" arms in to clean the windows! Nice to be able to see clearly outthe windshield. Too bad we had a frost last night-as I left my house there was a nice coating of ice all over eM.
    Has anyone heard from Dustin? I remember that friday was birthing day for him and his misses. Hope all is well with y'all,
    Doc
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    I tried to rotate my tires last weekend and I could not get the wheels off the hubs. It appears that the wheels and the center of the axle hub are prone to extreme corrosion to a point where the wheels don't come off (I live in Chicago where a lot of salt is used). This is not a good thing if you have a flat. I finally got them off one by one (drive with the lugs a little loose) cleaned the hubs and applied bearing grease to the contact surfaces. I then torqued the wheels to 95 ft lbs and the car now runs a smooth as silk. Even the slightly steering jiggle when the brakes are applied is gone. Just a tip for you 300Mers who live in the snow belt.
    which car rental company gave you a filthy M to use? I would still compain and get a replacement, even if it was a free upgrade...
    Dollar. They're the only ones, I think, that specialize in DC products. I *DID* pull up and have the inside windshield cleaned...I could hardly see out of it...but asking for a more thorough cleaning of the inside and out would have delayed me 30 minutes or more. I've done it. The others looked just as bad. :/ The problem with the inside was usage grime on the seats and floor. Not something they could just vacuum or wipe up. The apes that clean these cars couldn't care less. They use dirty water to wash the outside and don't dry the car. They get a disgusting film all over the car and windows. NOBODY seems to clean the inside windshields! That really chaps my hide.

I think the best kept cars are at Hertz..by far. Two of the worst are Alamo and Budget. I might put Dollar with them.
  • drive_a_300mdrive_a_300m Member Posts: 11
    A friend was telling me today that one of the 5* dealers was going to sell him a 300M from Canada that came with a factory 4.9L V8. I assured him that this was a mistake.. However, he wants to wager some $$ on it.. Can someone who can provide "HARD PROOF" please assist me in this matter? Perhaps a link to OPTIONS avail on 300M from Canada, etc?? Thanks in advance!!
    Really? I have always used Budget, & there always clean. Although I have always rented from Newark Airport in NJ. So maybe that's why.
    Take the bet. Better yet ask the sales to knock off $2K on a 2002 model if he's wrong. There's no such thing. You can build your own 300M on thier website, in US, or import form. Never saw an option like that. The import version doesn't even get the 3.5 V6.
    Make the bet. No such thing from the factory. In fact, I don't think DC even makes an engine that size. They have a 4.7 mopar V8 that they use in Dodge trucks and Jeeps, but it's only about 230hp (although has a lot of torque). They don't put this in the M. In fact, it wouldn't fit. If you look under the hood of an M you'll see that the biggest thing you could fit in there is the 3.5 V6. For more, here's Chrysler Canada's options page.
  • aj_tomasiaj_tomasi Member Posts: 38
    It's been an extreamly long time since my last post. So the reason why is becuase about two weeks ago I traded in my 2000 M with 35,900 miles in for a 2002 Pontiac Trans Am.

I'm a young guy, 22, so I felt I needed something to feed my urges. The world of performance has just passed the 300m by. It's really sad too, becuase I would have really enjoyed a HighPo 300m. I don't even seem to miss my M, but I still love to look at them on the road and in parking lots.

I hope you guys keep up the good work, you already make every 300m owner proud!

~albert~
    OK, he was talking about the black intake manifold, not the black plenum. Of course! Good -- nothing to worry about.
  • guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    so you bought the last year model, you have a collectors item take good care of it. i wonder why GM is doing away with them, do they have something better to take there place now that they hired the DC design guy?
    Yeah but I'm sure it doesn't have the 300M interior feel, or luxury. & i'm sure it's loud & noisy.
    I heard they just can't compete with the Mustangs anymore. Also heard they couldn't make the new EPA regulations that are supposed to be for 2004. Same thing happend with the 94-96 Impala.
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    It,s been a while since I've felt comfortable in sending a post after the 11 Sept. I have also been ashamed of my governments response or non-response to this tragedy. We will be working to change government in the next election, but enough of that as I do not want Pat to kick me off.

Sdmike, ugly house LOL!! My bra looks the same as yours with the wrinkles being in about the same spot. I wonder if they screwed up when they took the original measurements, as others look the same.

Drive a 300M, it sounds like you may be talking about that dealer in the US which is facing criminal action, that was posted on this site a couple of days ago. I would take the bet.

I also read the Chrysler Canada website in regards to the Special. Why would anyone buy it. I suggest that any one interested, should talk to Av. and have him do the mods that he does rather than waste money on this product, and why would anyone want to use premium gas because of 2 HP. Save your money!!!!!

My dealer does not or has not ordered any 2002 cars other than trucks for the oil patch, as he still has loads of 2001's and sales are really slow since the 11th. I did see two 02's at another dealership in late August and I went over there this week-end looking for prices on the turn signal mirrors and both cars are still there along with several new 01's. They do not have a price list on any 02 products.

Stay safe everyone. Mike
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    As I drove home this afternoon the check engine light went on and the transmission was stuck in 2nd gear. I left the car at the dealer. Has this happened to anyone else?
    yes, your about the sixth or seventh person that i know of that thats happened too. its some sensor... MAP or Speed sensor or something of that nature... dealer can fix it in a couple hours i believe... anyone this has happened to is sure to post right after me with more/better details..

http://phases78.homestead.com/300m.html

phases78

Phases got it. The people that experienced that in here (about 5 of them) found it to be the speed sensor. The good news is that the tranny is fine. It simply went into "limp home" mode because of the sensor failure.
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Albert-

Hope you enjoy your Trans Am. I would be very interested in your honest comparisons of the TA and your previous M. I know the 2 cars are aimed at 2 different markets, but I still have a bit of an urge to buy one of those last GM muscle cars.
    engine speed sensor. Easy fix at the dealership. Don't worry about the tranny. Happened to me twice, within a month of each other. I think the first time it was engine speed input sensor, the second time - the output sensor.
    intrepidspirit-

I hear you. Glad the paint job held up okay. That's still my favorite color! I love to see sdmike2's pics. Especially like the one of the car in front of his house. I TRIED to cut out his car and put mine in the same scene, but it was a horrible attempt! I don't have the software to do this properly.

"I think most of their training is in how to tell the customer no while appearing to try to help him. LOL..."

I think you are absolutely right! My "5-STAR" dealers were all nice, as was I, but they NEVER (rarely) got it right or even cared to get it right. I can find better places to spend my time. A "5-STAR" dealer isn't one of them. ;-)

Thought I only had 8,300 miles on my car, but I looked tonight- 8,400+!! It just adds up! It doesn't take much for me to get in and go!

fastdriver