Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Good question. I actually use the hook for sunglasses (hung by the nose piece), and the little slider pocket for a small packet of kleenex. I have no idea what they're really for. lol!
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    at least I'm not the only one :D I actually have the same pack of tissues in mine, and use the clip to hold the wire from my cell charger. I keep that in place with a pen. Which is useful (I leave the phone in the armrest to charge overnight. I like the feature to leave the cig adaptor on all the time ;)
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I would like to share your optimism and I really hope you are right. I am not a "mopar or no car" man as I never owned a Chrysler product until 1998. I got caught up with the redesigned LH cars -- particularly the Intrepid and 300M. I felt they were truly inspired and innovative, so my loyalties are very recent.

If Daimler can produce cars that retain that innovative flair, increase the quality and hold the prices down (not by producing cloth interior M's with 2.7 litre engines), then we truly will have the best of both worlds. But so far, they have let go most of the people responsible for Chrysler's innovative designs and announced the phasing out of the cab forward design...so we'll see.

By the way, I believe the design of PT Cruiser was well under underway before the merger, but at least Daimler didn't kill it.
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Kleenex and a pen.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    sdmike is right. The larger piece holds a travel pack of tissues. The small clip holds a ballpoint pen. I find them very handy, in comparison to stretching over and rummaging through the glove compartment. If you've got a big sneeze coming you can get that tissue in 3 seconds flat. LOL

Silver
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    e55 amg sure has a soul if you ask me, fuzzy back me up. the s class, there not too shabby either. daimler taking away the soul from chrysler? OR Daimler building a car with Chrysler that someone can actually keep for more than a year with no problems.
  • mboomgardenmboomgarden Member Posts: 39
    Be careful what you wish for--like taking your Chrysler to a Mercedes dealer for service. I've owned two Benzes and I know. While the service department at my 5* (does this have any real meaning, by the way?) is strictly proletarian, I don't get the feeling of being violated every time I take my car in for service, as I do with my Mercedes dealer(s).

Their philosophy is consistently to take the most expensive approach to repairs. For example, when I recently had a wobbly brake rotor on my wife's Mercedes, they suggested replacing all four. And, no, they would not machine my existing rotors. So, I went to a local shop where I now have all my Mercedes work done and got it straightened out for one-fourth the cost. Similarly--and I feel this may be some sort of scam--I never--repeat, never--took either my 300E or my C280 in for service without the dealer (I've dealt with two of them) "discovering" a bad gasket or seal of some sort. As long as the factory was paying for this, I didn't question it, but since then I've wised up and fond that their leaky gaskets were apparently illusory.

There are good and bad dealers representing any brand. But, overall, it's kind of nice to deal with a service department that doesn't give me the feeling that they're scoping me out to see if I have gold fillings.
    I hear you loud and clear. I agree, there are good and bad at all levels. Maybe incompetance will be replaced with thievery? Not sure which is worse! lol. I had the best situation when I lived in Sacramento. A good friend of mine that I played soccer with had a 10 bay shop (still does) specializing in alphas and subarus. He'd work on anything though. He was super honest, reasonably priced, and trustworthy...even for people not his friends. I took my cars there for years. I always knew what he was telling me wasn't BS. If he told me I needed $1,000 worth of work on a car I would know 1) it did and 2) it would cost me double anywhere else. It was a great piece of mind. Now I have to worry about the motives of everyone I deal with. Some thief at Brake Depot told me that my wife's van not only needed brake pads, but also NEW rotors and CALIPERS (for heaven's sake). I told them to put it back together and thanks for the "free inspection". I took it to the overpriced Dodge dealer and all they did was turn the rotors and replace the pads and all was well. Too bad their labor rate was twice what a local garage would charge.

Sorry for the rambling, but sometimes I think there would be peace in the world if everyone could just find an honest, competant and inexpensive car repair shop...camel repair shop..whatever..
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    My poor 01M just got sideswiped BAD on the way to work this AM. Some dude decided he wanted his car to be where my M was. No injuries, which I am very grateful for because I was bumped over into the lanes of oncoming traffic. Spent the entire morning in the cold 40 degree rain with the police, tow truck, and body shop. Fortunately, the other fellow was nice about everything and had decent insurance. The cop (a beautiful blonde Indianapolis officer!) said it was clearly not my fault & stayed with me (to 'protect me' in a questionable neighborhood) until my tow arrived. My 5*'s body shop got the M back into drivable condition (both passenger side doors were hit hard & would not latch and the front tire/wheel were damaged)- This was great service because they could have just left the car sitting there- and they had no rentals immediately available. Now I'm getting depressed realizing I have to hassle with the insurance goons-and the body shop says I will be without my M for 10-14 business days. Yes I know things could be much worse, but my formerly beautiful M is busted up & I am not psyched for driving a Cavalier rental for 2+ weeks : (
    Say it isn't so! Is this our second "comes in threes" set of M crashes on this board? About 2 months ago I think we had about 5. Stop the insanity!

Seriously though, I'm glad you're ok and nothing was hurt except a pretty car. They can be fixed. Not so easy straightening out the doors and wheels on a person. Good luck, and insist on factory parts.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    how about 80-100mph all the time?
    I personally have the performance handling group and think it's the best $500 you can spend for spirited driving. However, it does make the ride a bit stiffer and transfer more of the road to your hands. I'm not sure if I'd get it if all I was doing was dancing down the highway at 75/80. Some of the longer term owners here will have to comment on the longevity of the drive train at constant high speeds..I have an '01 with only 5k miles on it. I do know, however, that this car LOVES to drive at 75-100 mph. Oh, if you're inclined to exceed 118mph you'll need the performance handling group to get the speed limiter removed.
    If it was the other drivers fault, make sure you get the insurance info (will be on the police report) and contact the rep who is handling the service. Find out what a reasonable replacement rental would be (like an intrepid or 300M) Tell them (don't ask - TELL) that they will be paing for a rental car for you for the time your car is out of business. They will offer you like $15-20/day at first, then tell them that they will either deliver a 300M rental to your doorstep tomorrow, since they are the reason you are without it, or they can pay whatever the rate you come up with when you looked and you can handle it yourself. Tell them it's their choice ;)

I was hit and did the same thing. They took out my 94 caravan. They offered me $20/day which won't even pay for a car. I said you can either deliver another or pay me whatever the rental cost (I got a Cirrus) for the time. They took the latter :)

Good luck!
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I hate it when a car has a cheap interior. I just do. I basically hate most GM cars, especially Pontiacs and Chevys for cheap F%&^%%&% interiors. I thought the 2000 Grand Prix GT I rented this summer, when my M was in the body shop, drove well and looked good on the outside. I just couldn't stand that interior. Yuck! :(

So, DC, Don't "cheapen" the interior. This is where many people "live" many hours of the week driving to work and such. Great looks, superior workmanship, high quality leather, innovative nostalgic instrumentation are key things to design into the next 300 letter car. Much of that in the current M, except for some low grade leather in a few places (ex. Steering Wheel!)

If people need cloth and low grade ugly plastic, there are plenty of cars like that at GM and Ford, or maybe a base Dodge. Don't cheapen the Chryslers, please don't.
    Why get rid of cab forward? Can't we have RWD and cab forward designs? What would we have if we didn't have cab forward, poor aerodynamics and handling of the past? I don't understand this..
    Hey I'm gettin close to the 40K mark and thinking I need to invest in tires and brakes soon. I think I've seen every tire available recommended by someone here, except Goodyear and perhaps Bridgestone/Firestone.

I'm clear on don't buy Goodyear. I've had good luck with Michelins on a couple of vehicles, so I'm leaning towards the Pilot ZX tires. Can someone give us a compelling reason to choose something else.

Brakes, hmmm what to do. Do I:

1) Get the dealer to install the Chrysler stuff..worked pretty good for the first 40K (no warped rotors).

2) Go to local brake place and get NAPA premium brakes installed. Machine or replace with NAPA rotors as necessary.

3) Buy EBC, Performance Friction, etc and Cross drilled rotors and install myself.

What is everyone doing? What's the consensus?

Thanks in advance.
  • phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    dr: hell i dont know, thats what they told me lol, im sure the intrepids, or the concordes would work fine though, 75 bucks (if i remember correctly) seems high to me, tills someone else trys it and gives a good report lol

jona: again, NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you could just do what i did, and get a new one. j/k.

anyway, good luck with everything, i know dealing with insurance sucks.. and i hope you get a decent rental!!
    If it was the other drivers fault, make sure you get the insurance info (will be on the police report) and contact the rep who is handling the service. Find out what a reasonable replacement rental would be (like an intrepid or 300M) Tell them (don't ask - TELL) that they will be paing for a rental car for you for the time your car is out of business. They will offer you like $15-20/day at first, then tell them that they will either deliver a 300M rental to your doorstep tomorrow, since they are the reason you are without it, or they can pay whatever the rate you come up with when you looked and you can handle it yourself. Tell them it's their choice ;)

I was hit and did the same thing. They took out my 94 caravan. They offered me $20/day which won't even pay for a car. I said you can either deliver another or pay me whatever the rental cost (I got a Cirrus) for the time. They took the latter :)

Good luck!
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Tire recommendations from drpixel--.01 star mechanic: Get round ones!..chuckle, giggle, snort...sometimes I KILL myself!.....but seriously, seems a lotta folkes here favor Michelins, some like Yokohama....I figured I'd jump in and offer my .000002 cents worth!

jona57:ouch...ooch....I feel your pain...though eMily's damage was done for free by my .25 star Dealer and will cost $600 to fix, it pales in comparison to your M's wounds.....

phases78: Ya know, I just might try this Tornado thing....seems the local PeP Boys/Strauss Auto /etc. might carry it. If I buy it and it does nothing then they should take it back. It'd be my way of being some kind of mechanical-type of test dummy. The info implies UP TO 20 more HP, and mileage is supposed to improve. The mileage thing I can figure out (miles divided by gallons re-purchased..), but how would I figure out additional horsepower? ...
    inquiring wine-soaked brains want to know......

D (hic..)oc
  • yositoyosito Member Posts: 55
    Raybestos are the best brake pads, there are new ones,(DUST FREE)! and the heavy duty ones are also very good.
    Try PEP BOYS.
    if you find it locally I'd be interested to know as well. I was looking at their site and not only is it easy to install, if it really does what they say, why not? As for measuring in your car, I think you'd need some specific equipment to measue hp/torque. Still, all in all, sounds doable. Especially if I get the gas mileage increase. I'm driving 70m/day and that would pay off big time...
    I don't drive at all during the week...commute into Noo Yawk, but it couldn't hoit to get better gas mileage I agree. In theory, it looks like it will do what is says it will do......hmmmm.think the CLub would foot the bill for an $80 piece of metal?.....(wink).....
    Doc
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    You don't say how long you plan to keep the car, but here goes:

Tires: Unless you have PHP/PHG you don't need V-rated tires.

They will wear out much faster than OE tires. I had Michelin XGT V-4 tires on my '99 and was very pleased with them. DO get them properly balanced on a Hunter GSP9700...here's the link:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Brakes: If you were happy with the original brakes, why not stay with the Chrysler replacements?
    I've seen those infomercials as well. They say that creating a votex allows air to flow through your intake faster. The dyno that they showed the HP gain on went from 200 to about 220...which is a 10% gain. They didn't, however, show what they did to the engine to achieve this. ;)

Here's my question...if the air is flowing in a circle caused by these fins, it seems to me that it would have to travel further. If it has to travel further it seems that it would get to the engine slower, not faster. I must be missing some law of physics. Also, in their informercial they show a clear tube with a "propeller" in it and put an air source on top of the tube. The propeller doesn't spin. Then they put one of these $75 pieces of tin between the air source and the tube and the propeller starts turning. Well gentlemen, wouldn't a propeller turn when air is blown across its surface normally? I give you the example of a pinwheel, a beanie cap, a windmill, a ceiling fan, a propeller, etc.. Why did this one stay still while air flowed over it then spin when the air "vortex" was applied. Easy, the sumbitch must have been FLAT! So, it makes a flat propeller spin by spinning the air. So??

Maybe if I get a Tornado, those fuel line magnets, and an under-dash swamp cooler I'll be able to get 300hp and 50mpg! Better yet, I'll run premium gas in it and apply vaseline to make my plenum smoother and become INVISIBLE!!!
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Thanks all for your advice and sympathies. I spoke with the other guy's insurance firm this afternoon & they are apparently accepting fault. Their adjuster is to get with me tomorrow to get things started. In reality, I am totally grateful that no one was injured and all involved (inc. the other driver, police officer, body shop, & insurance people) have been upstanding and very cooperative.
    On a lighter note, I was joking with my wife this evening about today's whole episode 'cause yesterday she was giving me grief about who would get the first stone chip or door ding on the shiny new M. I started BS'ing about the female officer who responded to the accident scene-playing up the cute, blonde, divorced, "wouldn't leave me alone" thing- how she thought I was handsome, how she would find an excuse to call, etc, etc.. My wife's pretty cool & thought this whole bit was funny as hell. During this bull session after dinner, the phone rings & as sure as Daimler bought Chrysler --it's the same female officer asking to speak with me! Seems she needed a bit of follow-up info for her report, but my wife starts cracking up to the point I can hardly keep from laughing on the phone with this piece (er- I mean peace!) officer.
    Crass & politically incorrect story for sure, but it broke-up the tension on an otherwise sh**tty day.
    Nissan redesigned Altima for 2002 and made it look like 300M. AND they brag that it is cab forward and that why it is so roomy.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I made one a while back to test the theory, and no pain, no gain was the answer. Think of it this way the vines cause the air to create a vortex in the intake tube, OK I can buy that. As the air goes on its marry way making it's way through the bends on it way to the Throttle body. Suddenly it hit the TB butterfly valve and, that so called vortexed air slames into it. If there was a vortex created it is now stopped. Grab a tuna can and make you own to try it, it ould probably be better then the bought one.
    The tissue (rear) is not in question as to it's purpoise. The Clip (mine is gone (broken off to fit my Navigation Remote))can hold check books, (sun)glasses, and even you dayplanners.
    Nice job, Scotian. I am working on having my filter (cone type) located where the Plemun was. Which will fit in a 6X6X10 inch box. I am going to try (although I love the look of the lexan) stainless steel firstThat way the air from my hood scoop has a much shorter distance to travel. I plan to use a sheet of alumimun for a heat shield near the cats. The side benfit is that I gain all that space where the old air box was for some of my electronics, and compressors. If I need to I can install a second battery there also.
    Keep up the good work.
    Boy was that a pretty car. Very M-like front end, especially the headlights. The cars look like they were separated at birth, with the ES leaning a bit more to the luxury side and the M to the performance side. Maybe that's why they're both "300s". ;)

Problem is the price. The base car with cloth seats is already 31k. There are two option packages, a 3k package that upgrades to leather seats, CD Changer and HIDs, and a 7k package that has everything the 3k package does plus a premium audio system, heated seats and navigation system. So to compare to my 300M that I paid $28k+ for (with a 34k+ sticker) the ES would cost at least $6k and possibly $9k more.
    Very funny! Now if you can just give that female officer a reason to call back AGAIN. That ought to have you guys shooting root beer out your noses. ;)
    Yes, a hood scoop is always best.
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    mine will be for sale soon :)

it will already be functional, meaning there will be a tract under the hood that leads to the airbox from the scoop.
    Just watched the full infomercial, and i'm still not convinced. However, they DID show a shop test of HP on a dyno before and after installation. I just went to their web site and there is one for the M. It's part number KI-75. it's $69 plus $11shipping (inflated shipping charges also chap my hide). The site is http://www.tornadofuelsaver.com . It also has a link to view the video on-line.
    Can you send me a pic of the underside of your hood so I can see where exactly this tract goes?
    sdmike, no please, tell us how you really feel! :D Well, I looked at the infomercial as well. I don't know. Sure, I'm always leary of anything that has to have an infomercial (not a good sign ;) but... I drive a lot of miles, and if it really did save on gas mileage, then it would be worth it to me just for that. But would it?

inquiring minds......

as for the armrest - boy am I dissapointed! With what was going on under there I imagined it to be much more of a useful contraption than a pack of tissues and a pen :D
    Not having the tool/mechanical gene DNA strand, I can't help myself sometimes..I see something with a blinking LEd light, or some new gizmo (informercial food slicer....flip-down paint edging tool...Didee-7 spot remover, etc...) I get this urge to buy it/them!

I too saw the dyno test, etc. sdmike2 said"...They didn't, however, show what they did to the engine to achieve this. ;"..., I can only go on what I saw on the infomercial. can basically understand the facts he so eloquently stated/reamed me out with (!), but even if it gave me a couple more miles to the gallon wouldn't it be worth it just for that?

I looked for a 300m version, but did not see it listed...but thanks for the part number. The website also stated it could be purchased at auto specialty stores--PepBoys, R&S Strauss. If they do have it, I think I'm gonna give it a shot. I will utilize the lastest technology for anaylsis of gas mileage (calculator...) and report back to y'all.

Now, what'd I do with that DiDee-7 spot remover?.....

See youse in the chatroom tonight!

Doc
    drpixel at tornadofuelsaver.com they have it listed for the 300M, at tornadoair.com they don't (looks to be same exact site, just different layout/pics). However, at the tornadoair it's the same part that is lited for the concorde/lhs (6cyl/3.5). I imagine that is it, though I would like to see it at a local pepboys first - especially because if I don't like it I can return it ;)
    so what if it shapes the air stream into the whirl? Very soon the air passes through a whole bunch of pipes that will make it all turbulent again.
    I have NEVER seen anything that was worth buying on an infomercial...the purpose of the infomercial is to get the word out on a product that would already be known by word of mouth IF the product was any good.

I generally give infomercials the same credibility as a story in the National Enquirer...
  • grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    Have you calculated the payback using different mpg increases? If you get 2mpg savings, it'll take you about 12k miles to get the payback. You're looking for about a 10% savings, though, which seems pretty high. With a 3% savings your payback is more like 36k miles.

Here's an alternate suggestion: make a slight change in your driving habits and save the 3% without any out of pocket costs. This saves you the $80 and you get better mileage.

Igor
    Splatt....thanks for the info....the regular website contains a small banner in yellow that says :

Work gloves must be worn when handling and installing the unit.
    KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN

I would guess this little sucker is probably has some sharp edges. I called the local PepBoys hear me..they said they hadn't gotten them in-yet. Don't know if they ARE or aren't getting them, but I try again another time. Why pay $7.95-$8.95 S & H if I could get it locally, and be able to return the dee-vice.... I'm also going to try the local Strauss Auto store and the site says its available at Tire Centers...

ruski Crap?...maybe, but suppose it DOES do what it says it will? As long as I could return it to the store, it would be worth a shot in the air intake tube, ay?

Again, I'm obviously NOT mechanically inclined, but I think I could handle this; and I think its at least worth the effort. Maybe its all smoke and mirrors, but...

Doc
    hmmmm...were you poking fun at me? If I remember correctly, the 'propeller' that is on the ifomercial was shaped something like a bow tie-- X, and was not flat like a beanie propeller -----.
    I would guess that any air passing through/around a propeller/whatever should have moved.
    In any case, I think its worth a shot.
    My driving habits--which for me means not jumping on the gas when the light turns green-- really wouldn't figure into the equation. I have yet to get eMily over 80 mph. I'm just trying to see if I can improve my gas mileage a bit. I think the tests they ran and posted on their site would be verifiable, or else why would they post them, right?
    'Crap', maybe, but I'm willing to try.....
    just my .000002 ¢ worth!
    Master Mechanic Doc
    I wasn't poking fun at you...just the infomercial. :) Maybe you can take advantage of the Club's offer for a test car and have them pick up the cost of some real dyno testing for this thing. That would answer the question once and for all...for the M at least.
    My dome light kept going on last night as I was driving, and I'm pretty sure I figured out what's wrong.

In my aftermarket car alarm/mess of wires, I have a closed loop sensor unit attached to the V1. If the V1 is yanked out, a ground is disconnected, which causes a second wire to ground, which causes the alarm to be triggered. I also have this second ground/trigger signal connected to the driver door ajar signal to set the OEM alarm off. This also turns on the dome light, of course, as well as the red dash light, which also happened as I drove.

I'll have to get a new closed loop sensor, which consists of resistors and transistors. This one (DEI 502T) lasted over a year. The first one I bought from Autotoys.com was awful-- it randomly grounded the trigger wire.
    Sounds like you have it figured out! Before you buy a new closed loop sensor, you may want to verify that it is not a light switch problem. I had a 98 Intrepid that periodically turned on the dome light. It took me a while to discover that the dash light switch had some play and would sometimes complete a circuit without being touched. I believe others have had the same problem with the 300M...
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Loved the cop story...sorry about the accident!
    boy you've got a lot going on there :) I have my V1 direct connected, but don't have a thrid party alarm (btw, what's the advantage over the standard one?) It was easy to install - I put the V1 right over the rear-view mirror, and left enough slack to move it around some if I wanted. Ran the cord under the roof trim, and down the door trim to the fuse box. Voila! Don't have the remote piece, but don't really need it. You can't see the detector from outside the car. It took so little time I was surprised :D

Also, that eram looks neat, except it sounds pretty loud from the vid clip...

drpixel I got an email back from the tornado people in regards to the version for the M.

"Absolutely! The TORNADO for your vehicle is a part ki-75. For additional
    information and a free brochure please provide your full name and address."

If you get one let me know how it goes.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Seems Dodge is indeed makeing the Intrepid RT a cop car. Seen it on the news pages of car and driver, & road & track. I must have seen a prototype a few months ago pull over a car.

The 300M seems to be the fastest car at high speeds them most of it's competers. In my seach for another car, I see alot of them have better 0-60 numbers, but onwners complain about a lack of punch at high speed. After 70 it takes forever to get past 100. This includes the CL/TL-S, Maxima, LS, & GTP. Intresting. The 300M's high speed ability always impressed me. It is a great car for crusing HW's.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    JUNK!!! PERIOD!!!