Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    For those who use it, carandtrucknews is back online. Probably a victim of excite or home.com
  • mbrown15mbrown15 Member Posts: 10
    Has anyone done the install of the Basslink sub with the 300m's upgraded stereo (infinity amp)? I just purchased one and am wondering if the install is pretty simple or if I should have it installed by a shop.

SDMike, did you do your own or have someone do it?
  • rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    We are a non-profit organization. Cost is $14.95/year. Here are some of the benefits.

http://www.300mclub.org/benefits.htm

We'll be having several meets again next summer, probably one near you. Also check out the great prices we have on embroidered logo shirts and caps.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Glad to see you are still alive & well!
    You didn't say if you are going to replace all 4 tires... probably a good idea if winter ever arrives in Bufalo!
    Try tires.com or tirerack.com for a good deal on proper replacement tires. I don't recall you having PHP on your car, so you should be able to get a good all-season replacement at a reasonable cost.
    Good luck!
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Count me in...it's almost next door for me! I was about 10 minutes from the LH plant 2 weeks ago.
    I will probably do Dream Cruise again this year, it was such a blast last year. Maybe we can wangle a visit by Dr. Zetsche.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I had a shop install mine. They charged me about $70, but then added $15 to the bill to install a power sensor so the unit would turn off when the car was shut down. They, and I, didn't realize that there is a several minute delay in shut-down when the power is cut off. Several people in here have installed their own, I believe. The instructions that come with the unit are pretty straight forward. There is one set of connections to use if you want to connect it directly to the low-power connections from the amp, and another set to handle the high power output from the amp. You can hook into either (not both) depending on your needs. Mine is connected after the amp, I believe. I'm not sure they connected it exactly right (there are connectors for left/right/front/rear) because when I turn my fader to my rear speaker only I don't get any sub-woofer bass. I only get it from the front inputs. My guess is that they only connected one pair of wires after the amp. I might take it back and have them fix it, but I never listen to it that way anyway so it's not a big deal.

The biggest reason that I had someone else install it is because I didn't want to fight with getting the power wire run through the firewall. I remember some postings saying it was a "female dog".

Good luck! You'll love it!

-M
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Some interesting pics I saw on another 300m forum

http://custommopar.homestead.com/Special.html

• kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Well, after looking at those pictures we can see the answer of how dual exhaust is on the Special. Twin pipes all the way back to the transverse muffler. Too bad we can't see how they connect to the muffler.

Is that flex pipe I see from the muffler to the resonators????

Otto, correct me if I'm wrong, but based on the description you gave of the assembly process these pics must have been taken just before the body is mated to the drive train in the Sanyo machine.
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    At 40k on orig. tires, I'd almost go for a full set myself. You'll save money on the set, since there's usually a discount in places. Costco is a great place to go (at least mine is). Easy to deal with, and pretty quick. They've got the MVX4 plus (H rated I believe) 225/55/17 for about $145 installed. Plus, Michellin has been running a $50 rebate on a set (or poss. more, I forget). Also Costco is very safety consious. They will not put a single new tire on the front, has to go on the back. They will only match the tires when installing. They hand torque it (I like that). Nice place

The Key FOB - Someone has to know how to program a Key FOB transmitter to work on the car... I used to know, but can't find the directions... Someone?? :)
  • sleepymwsleepymw Member Posts: 65
    FastDriver, yep, kids have been keeping me busy and spending alot of weekends out in middle of the creek trout fishing LOL... probably where i wind up with the flat! From what i understood was that the thruway is restricted since it is under the "jurisdiction" of Thruway authorities. I dunno... it was 4:30am and i was frantic, to say the least!

Russ, yep, still alive and kicking. when this car gets cleaned (if it sees that day again soon) would love to take you up on that cup of coffee i missed out on last year. *waves a raincheck in the air* you are still local right?

Lastly, TOUR... WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, AND HOW? :) my eye sight isn't as good as it was before when i start to scroll back and back... and back......
  • arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    Where did you get a picture of my baby without her clothes on?

Kosh and otto ... My dealer thinks my Special may be delivered today. I may get it tomorrow. woo hoo!!
  • mboomgardenmboomgarden Member Posts: 39
    Has anyone seen any tests of the Special in car mags or elsewhere? I'm curious about how much of a difference the performance enhancements make in the 300M's performance.
    Uh...I meant to say in my post above that the Basslink can connect either to the low power outputs of the HEAD UNIT or the high power outputs of the amp. Duh. Either way it's easy to get at the speaker wires from the trunk (right side) where they come in (low power) and out (high power) of the amp mounted there.

M
    Those are WAY cool! I love the look of the exhaust. Reminds me of how the Vettes and Z28s are done. Wide pipes from the cat to a transverse collector in the center/rear, and then back to dual mufflers. Not a "true" pass-through dual system, but lots and lots of airflow because the intermediate "pipe" consists of two 2 1/2 inch+ pipes compared to the single one on the stock M (and the Hugo design that I use)
    We're planning a long weekend of 300M Club fun in August. Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit on Saturday August 17th (ask Russ about this year's cruise) then caravan to Brampton Ontario Canada on Sunday and tour the Chrysler LH assembly plant on Monday August 19th.

More details later, but mark it on your calendar.
  • hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    One question about getting new tires: Is it also a good idea to get an alignment? I like the Costco tire places, too, but have noticed that they don't do alignments (at least not around here). I was wondering how necessary you guys think that is.
  • mboomgardenmboomgarden Member Posts: 39
    I'd get an alignment. Think about it this way: you're spending hundreds of dollars for new tires. You can totally screw up a tire (or tires) in a couple thousand miles if your suspension is out of alignment. So, for a relatively small amount of money, an expert alignment can potentially prolong your tire life considerably, while enhancing the handling of your car.
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I found the link to the pics from another Brampton employee that chats on another forum (Yahoo groups 300m club). I hope he can get more pics.
    Using the working remote fob with the ignition switch on, press and hold the unlock button for 4-10 seconds,within the 4-10 seconds push the panic button. The Body control module (BCM) will chime. Then press any button on the new remote, the BCM will chime as each fob is learned. To be safe also puh any button on the working one too. You will hear a second chime. Turn of ignition or wait 32 seconds the BCM will chime again. Remotes use 2 Panasonic CR 2016 batteries stacked on one another, and last about two years. Info is from 99 service manual.
    Be careful when programming the new remote.If it has only three buttons(no separate trunk release button) the panic feature will not work. The panic feature will open the trunk. I have a 96 Minivan and a 99 Intrepid and have programmed the Intrepid fob to work on both cars, as carring two fobs was a little much.
    If your dealer is right, that was one heck of a fast trip by rail from near upstate NY to where you're at. Which reminds me, where ARE you located? I've looked back through your posts but didn't see a home town mentioned.

I took a tour through the dealers lot today just in case, but nothin yet. I'm thinking Thursday at the earliest. I'll check with the dealer tomorrow and see what their status report shows.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Yup ,those are some good pics. Yes this is just before decking in the Sanyo .That is the pallet they are sitting on.I wonder who took the pics?.
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    The Basslink install is an easy DIY job, even for a 46 year old guy like me!

Install Instructions: (Courtesy of Racefan)

The stock amp on the upgraded stereo is located inside the trunk on the right hand side behind the carpet, there is one tab holding the carpet.
    using speaker level inputs tap into the wires coming out of the amp:

white/black = - left rear

white/red = + left rear

tan/black = - right rear

tan/red = + right rear

dark green/red = turn on lead

after you hook up the speaker level inputs, connect the ground to a spot under the trunk carpet, and run a power wire to the battery.

You do NOT have to go through the firewall for the power lead. Connect a heavey guage red power wire from the Positive "jumper" cable junction, and run it along the pass. fender inside edge and out by the pass. door hinge area (there is some gray foam piece you have to remove, then replace.) Then just push the wire through the moon-roof drain grommet to the inside pass. leg well area, remove the little trim peice, then snake it to the back under the rocker trim.

Tom
    99LHS
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I have 36K miles on my 99LHS. The ride has always been a bit "softer" than the PHP-300M, but I just recently bought my wife a new (leftover) 2001 Concorde and driving it I could really feel the difference. It was a pretty firm ride compared to my 3 1/2 year old LHS. It was like I remembered when my LHS was new, but I guess the ride gets softer so slowly over time you really don't notice it until you ride a brandy new car and feel the difference.

My question is: What kind of mileage have you guys been getting out of your suspensions? Any of you replace the struts yet??

Tom
    99LHS
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Just to let you guys know, we will be getting the 300M back tomorrow afternoon. It has been at the body shop since October 24. We stopped in last Monday to see it, and it was "reconstructed" but had no back window, back seat, trunklid, or paint, etc. but did have tailights and a back bumper. Then, yesterday, we happened to be coming back from a doctor's appointment and while we were stopped at the light in front of the shop, we watched the garage door open and saw a dark-colored car with blue tape and paper on it. Someone moved the car sitting outside in front of the door and guess what pulled out? Our 300M came out covered in paper and tape in different areas and then it reversed and the door closed. We went in and they said it was just being painted but everything else was done. Today they were going to let the paint cure a little more and clean the car up. We should have it by tomorrow afternoon. I wonder what it'll be like now...??

Gotta go!!!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    beach15-

At least that nightmare is over! I have NEVER heard of such a crazy insurance story! I hate insurance companies with a passion, because I don't like their tactics, but you have to be protected so you don't have much choice. You should never have been treated that way!

fastdriver
    I saw my new Special tonight. I'm paying for it tomorrow. She was dirty from the trip but she'll be cleaned and ready when I pick her up tomorrow night. I emailed Ottowrkr already with the news.

Kosh, you are gonna LOVE your car! The dealer here in Toms River, NJ stood and gawked at it along with me. The headlights are cool. The Tires and wheels are the thing you notice first. They are big.

We started her up and she purrs like a Tiger from the dual exhaust. Not as loud as I thought but much louder than the Stock 300M. Inside the interior is just like the brochure. Beautiful. I didn't try the stereo yet but the 300+ watts should sound freaking fantastic!
    Ah NJ, that explains why you got it so quickly, not very far to travel. Mine will be a few days out yet, but it is making good progress. Otto informed me that it had reached MI last Friday morning so it should be getting close at this point.

Now I KNOW I have to give the dealer a call today and see where it's at. After your report I'm really anxious to see it.

I expect an initial drive impressions report from you sometime before the weekend, IF you can pull yourself away from it long enough to do that! ;) Enjoy it Arby!
    changed her oil and used royal purple.. can ya believe it? purple oil!!!!!!!!! LOL

anyone tried this ?
  • on1wheelon1wheel Member Posts: 68
    hi everyone,
    i have friends who use it in motorcycle racing applications and they swear by it! to last in an engine that turns 15,000+ rpms and holdup,it has to be good.
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    in Noo Yawk! Congrats, Arby from a fellow Jerseyite, drpixel (Glenn in Union, NJ..) on the imminent delivery of your Special!
    ATTENTION, Sandra D. from PA and Daron A. from CA: the package is in the mail...I repeat the package is in the mail...( toms99: thanks for the cool animated card with greetings from your whole family!
    sleepymw: looked for your website, but could not find it--thought I saw a link somewhere in theses postings, but....have you submitted a 'mugshot' for our rogues Gallery on OUR club web site?
    ASIDE to Rick S. regarding Mugshots...: I know there seems to be a link to a page 2, but time--and responsibilities--AND Chrsitmas shopping wait for for no man. If mugshots are supplied, I will build the page...
    dubson300m...: whereever you are....your clingy will be going out in da mail tomorrow morning. Look for a disk mailer (don't want you to get a bent clingy...) in the next couple of days...
    General..my schweetie has received the news that she will be undergoing rotator cuff surgery on January 15th. To say the least, she's a tad on the freaked out side. She goes for physical therapy for her recently operated on knee, and others there who have had rotator cuff surgery have been telling her horror stories: one guy has to have his wife help dres him in the morning; another has trouble, ummm...cleansing himself after a visit to the porcelain collection, etc., etc.
    I myself have FINALLY gotten approval from the Workman's Compensation Board for surgery on MY left knee. Only took them 1 1/2 years due to an 'oversight' on the part of the insurance company's rep to supply MY lawyer with ONE document that determined a 'causal relationship' regarding the knee injury. And I thought the new year was going to start better than last.....
    Will be off and outta da Fed from Friday on....emails sent to my work email address will go UN-READ until I return in 2002, so....

thas all 4 now, my fellow M-nuts......
    L8R,
    Doc
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Thanks!! I have a fob from a 98 concorde and it's exactly the same. Forgot to turn it in with the trade - oops ;) Figure, it can't hurt to program it.
    yeah, i sent in a pix for the mugshot to roger... he must not think it's appropriate LOL....

i'll send one to you for you to add in there... :)

uhm... can i have a package too? :P
    I lived in Union for 10 years before we bought a house in Springfield. I still own the house but have moved down to the Jersey Shore 4 years ago. I commute to my job in Brooklyn 5 days a week. My Corolla is my daily driver for that trip.

I just talked to the dealer. My "Special" is getting prepped as we speak. Tonight I sign the papers and she comes home. "Extremely" happy does not do justice to the way I feel right now.
    on the 300m club board someone posted on the new computer update chip for the transmission, for those of us who have been living with this shift annoyance...

i called the service dpt, and they told me that there's no TSB for "My" car and therefore, there's no computer chip for it...

what do i have to do to get these ppl to upgrade the chip so that the downshift is smoother? oh, and that torque converter problem at 45-50 .. remember the grumbling? is still there.. is this something we'll have to live with for the duration of our live with our babies?
    the website i have had up was www.sleepy.net/300m

should still work
    I thought the fix was an update of the software, not a new "chip" for it. I didn't have it done, but someone in here posted that it took care of the "bump shifting" that many of us experience.

Hey, today is my last day at work. I guess I'll finally have time to take Big Red in to get her moving seat and discolored pillars fixed.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Just got an e-mail from Wyckoff Chrysler parts on line and they are having a big sale on Borla exhaust products. They had a dual system for those who are interested at a substantial reduction off list price. For those considering the move.
    Not sure if that's cool. It's a members only product.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    arby-congratulations, sir. You are the first poster to take delivery of a very zoot ride. You may provide us with a new appreciation of the term "peer envy". LOL! Enjoy and send pics, please.

Purple oil-I had a '71 Datsun 240-Z when I lived in Honolulu. Arco had a test marketing campaign for a motor oil with carbon suspended in it. The concept was that the carbon would embed itself in the microscopic pits and cracks in cylinder walls and cut friction in the entire engine. It seemed to work fine, but after returning to regular motor oil, the residual carbon always made the oil look very dirty. I miss that car, my original Silver Bullet.

Silver Bullet
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    I want to wish everyone on the 300M board, including our host, Pat a wonderful Christmas and/or Hannikah. My family is leaving for New England for a short ski trip at Killington and Christmas with family in Warwick, RI. I haven't been to visit my wife's family for a number of years and am looking forward to it.

The snow has just started in Vermont-I almost cancelled, but the weather gods relented.

I will have a lot of posts to catch up on when I return the 27th. Hope everyone has safe travel.

Peace on Earth,

Silver
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    We were just approaching the body shop at about 4:10 this afternoon and guess what was parked perfectly outside the garage all spiffed up? Our 300M! It was shining perfectly, the tires had been treated, and the inside was completely and entirely detailed. Matter of fact, that's one thing I didn't like, I'm pretty sure that they used Amorall on just about everything, including the leather which feels weird and greasy. Oh well.

So, what about the work? It is IMPECCABLE! To look at and even examine the car, you can't tell it from a new car. There's no visible work lines and the Deep Slate paint is matched perfectly. It's all just as it was before except that it now has the 2001-02 chrome-tipped muffler! Actually, they put a completely new exhaust system from the engine back.

What does it drive like? Exactly as it did before, actually. Except it feels like they put too much air in the tires and the ride feels stiff. Not to mention, I couldn't believe how noisy this car was after living w/o it for 2 months and having the Buick. All that Goodyear roar is still horrible and the car feels kind of skittish because of the high air pressure. Squeaks, rattles, and the like? No!! Other than the gauge cluster like before even though it's worse now and on each side of the dash it sounds like there's some kind of foam rubbing up against plastic. Matter of fact, what do you think mother said about the noises? "I can't stand those stupid rattles! They're gonna drive me to drink!" To me, it's just like it was before, including being too loud.

So, are we keeping it? Who the heck knows. One minute she refuses to drive it and wants an SUV. Then she wanted a LeSabre and probably still does. Then, once about 3 miles from the garage, she said this,"If I keep it, I'm buying new tires." Well, that didn't last very long. "This car rides like a buckboard. I hate the brakes, they suck compared to the Buick. These seats are uncomfortable, my neck hurts. I hate these rattles!"-these all followed. Also, she said "I miss the Buick" about 10 times!

We got a full 6-page parts and labor receipt with a grand total of $11,564.25 Wow, that's a lot!

Well, have to go! I'll give more details later!

P.S., I still really like the car but miss the smooth and quiet of the Buick and the room!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Hahahaha that's something new!
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    http://www.300mclub.org click on chat link, wait for applet to load, choose a name and join the fun---
    You are selling items (300M Enthusiasts Club logo shirts) that are covered under copyright agreements we have with DaimlerChrysler and are authorized for sale to 300M Enthusiasts Club members only. I would ask you to please remove these items from EBay before you jeopardize our agreements with DaimlerChrysler.
    I may possibly be the first owner of a 300M Special in the State of New Jersey. I paid for it tonight and it's sitting in the driveway outside.
    I can't stop from keeping myself from running out to stare at her!!! :^)
  • guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    congrats...now how bout staring at her through the lens of a camera, we want pics lots and lots of pics :)
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    please go quickly drive it easily for 500 miles.

Then stomp on it and tell us if it is much quicker than the non-Special 300M.
  • sel714sel714 Member Posts: 35
    I am the proud owner of a Champagne pearl metallic 99 300. Its 3 years old this month. Purchased her new now have 66600 mi. I was looking at my original window sticker and noticed the city hwy mileage of 18 city 27 hwy. I remember when at the dealer I have noticed the 2001 and 2002 model 300 have 18 city and 26 hwy. I was wondering if the lower gear ratio on the special makes your gas mileage lower.
    I am not sure why their's one mpg difference higher on my 99. I don't think they changed the gearing any? I regularly get 23 to 24 mpg on mixed city hwy driving. And have gotten as high as 31.6 on interstate driving at 65 mpg.
    Would be very interested in what kind of mileage you get after the break in period.
    sel 714