Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Has anyone installed Intrax or other aftermarket springs to lower their 300M? I would like to do this but I have heard that there is pretty bad vibration on hard acceleration as well as camber adjustment problems after lowering the 300M. I am running 18" wheels with 235/50x18 Michelin Pilot Sports tires.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Based on what I've seen of the prototypes in person, that drawing looks nothing like the 300N and special planned for production in '04. It looks much more like the Dodge Super8 prototype/concept car.
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    Congratulations on your new arrivals. I know how you feel as my "Beast" is only one month old.
    These cars are just a joy to drive. As for running out of the house just to take a look at every half hour or so; I sure this will wear off. I'vd has mine since Nov. 8 and am still doing it. My wife thought I had a bottle stashed in the garage until she caught me outside just staring at the "M"
    Can't wait till I can get some of that Zaino on it but it's going to wait at least another three months until the tulips come up again. I took a look at Arby's pictures on Yahoo. Cool!!!
    Kosh, time for you to get pictures posted.One thing I found funny is that the special only comes in three colours while the standard "M" has about 10 colour options.I guess that this has something to do with the lower cladding on the special. Guys, enjoy your Christmas and your "M"s)
  • hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    I thought the Dodge Super 8 Hemi looks like this:

"http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b011001.htm"

So now I am of course wondering what you saw. The drawings from the link from the earlier post did show up in the reputable German car magazine "auto, motor und sport" and they claimed this to be a drawing of a 300N. But then I have no idea where those drawings really come from and they might very well be false.

• 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I have the springs (intrax), but have not mounted them yet. Most of the probems I have heard of is on the Standard suspension (which I have) and not the PHP. I plan to change the struts to the PHP one in hopes this corrects the problems.
    Where is the Yahoo site for the pictures? Addresses please!
  • mbrown15mbrown15 Member Posts: 10
    If you try to get to the Yahoo site from the link on the 300m Enthusiast's club site you may not see the left menu frame.

Try this link: http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/chrysler300mownersassocation

You should see a menu to the left with a "Photos" link.

Make sure you log in first.

Hope this helps.

The 300N prototypes that I saw were similar in style to that car (super8). It had a grill on front similar in size (giant) to the dodge but more like what you see on the Chronos. The sides were similar (3/4 height retro windows) but without the stupid looking greenish accents. It had giant wheels...19s or 20s...with nice 7 spoke chrome rims. The "special" version, which had a 300N badge on it, had the V8 Hemi 5.7 under the hood. The one just labeled "300" came stock with a 2.7, with the 3.5 optional. My guess is that the one labeled "300" was the N, and the other was a "special" of some sort. The rear of the car looked very much like the current M, and the interior was very very retro and different. Not luxury at all. At some point I'll write the whole thing up again.
  • sleepymwsleepymw Member Posts: 65
    with envy!!!!! the new special... LOL

congrats on the new car, arby...

rest of ya, happy holi's....

stay safe!
    Hey, you ever get those Mastercrafts replaced?
  • 300mmm300mmm Member Posts: 27
    I should be taking delivery of my M in mid-January (not exactly sunroof weather in New England). Any suggestions on the best way to protect it from Winter's worst? Front end cover? Do they do more harm than good?

Also, what's the word on waxing or polishing? How long should you wait?
    my friend said to drive it for one week and if it still is rough then we can talk about changing it.
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Well as fate would have it, the rain here turned to snow while I was at the dealer taking delivery.

It was a white knuckler getting my baby home to a safe dry garage. BELIEVE the warning label about the tires, Arby. The Pilots provide ZERO traction on snow and ice. I immediately placed an order with the Tire Rack for a set of winter wheels and tires (Michelin Pilot Alpins on stock LH steel wheels). She's staying parked until they get here, to dangerous driving it otherwise. :b NUTS!

I'm also ordering a hood cover to protect the hood from chips and junk. Once the paint has had a few months to cure I'm going to apply Invicta shield to the front end to protect the finish from road shrapnel, headlights and all. I'm also going to buy some of it in bulk and apply it to the cladding behind the wheels to protect from stuff tossed up by the tires. It doesn't look like DC is going to provide molded splash guards for the car, just their flat $12 ones are shown on the website.

300mmm: My experience with the full nose cover on my Intrepid was that they do put fine scratches in the finish towards the back edge. The scratches polish out easily by hand but...
    As you saw above I will invest in a hood cover but that's it. The 3M clear protector material is a much better alternative in my mind.

I'll try and get some pictures posted soon. I have to borrow a digital camera from work. (Yeah, I'm still livin in the past with a 35mm camera).
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Your friend is hoping you get used to the noise and roughness. Its not going to change in a week. See if he can get the Yokohama Avids T-rated made in the stock size for our M's. They sell at tirerack for $88 a piece. If you want to spend a little more go for the Dunlop SportA60--sell for about $122 ea at tirerack. This is rated as a very quiet great handling all season tire. Of course, at tirerack you have to add shipping.

And to all---Happy Quanza!
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    You will be pleased with the Arctic Alpin winter tires. I had 2 Buffalo winters on a set, and they performed very well.
    Good luck with your Special!
  • lasrerlasrer Member Posts: 9
    hi,

I have a 2002 sebring and i found a really cool hood protection.

check out magnetbra.com

It really looks great, like someone painted a black vinyl stripe across my hood.

he also sells them on ebay usually for about $25.

I have no affiliation whatsoever.

happy holidays to all newsgroupies.

ed
  • psterpster Member Posts: 293
    If anyone knows what may be causing the driver's window on my 1999 300M to make a fairly loud creaking sound, I sure would appreciate any advice. As I raise the window, it makes a creaking noise as it "seats" itself. I have cleaned teh glass thoroughly as well as the rubber seals the window seats into. I had the window repaired about 2 years ago as it was making some noises, but very different from this sound. Window seems to be working fine, but the noise is becoming annoying.
    Thanks for confirming my choice of tires! I've heard what Buffalo winters are like (way deeper snow than MN) so if you're satisfied then I made the right choice.

Arby, I saw your pictures! Our cars are twins, man. So for all you folks out there, seeing his Special is seeing mine. The sun is now out so hopefully I'll get a chance to snap a few pics of mine as well and post them. It's just that the background on mine will be much whiter than Arby's.
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    My window was doing that ealier in the year. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the window regulator needing adjustment. They adjusted it and replaced all the window motors, since I was also complaining about the seals sticking to the glass. Some people here have had the regulator replaced for this noise. After several months my window is still quiet.
    As the seals dry out the windows will squeak more and more as they slide into them. Often, because of the friction and resistance, you might also get a creaking noise from in the window gears (not good). The usual fix by a dealer is to apply a lubricant to the seals that the windows slide into, thus reducing the friction and the problem. I'm not sure exactly what stuff they use or where to get it, but you might check the local auto parts store.
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I too saw the warning in the 300M Special brochure that stared the tires were no good at all in ice or snow (I know Winter tires are always better than "all season" rubber but I still thought it was unusual for such a warning in a new car brochure!) Look's like kosh's New England experience bears out the warning...

Just before reading kosh's post I was going to ask: Exactly what type of tires come on the Special?

And arby, I live just a few miles south of you at the Jesey Shore....as you know, NJ Winters down here are a real crapshoot...some years no snow at all, others just like Minnesota...and most years vary from week to week...ya just never know! Do you plan on getting a new set of snowies for your special? Or just hoping for a "mild" winter??
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    My driver's window started creaking at the end of its closing travel. Dealer tried adjusting it a couple times, but that didn't help, at least not for long. They finally replaced the regulator, which took care of it. It was a real annoying, stuttering creak. I don't think it had anything to do with the seals sticking. I think the window travel was greater than it should have been.
  • psterpster Member Posts: 293
    Thanks for the good responses on the creaking noise. THe regulator was replaced two year ago when I had the first repair on it done. I'll take it into the dealer after the holidays.

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful holiday!

Phil
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    anyone here find a solution to the sticking window problem besides the temporary solution of using silicone spray? Is there a TSB for this? Did anyone here have the dealer offer a cure for it such as new rubber window seals?

Hope you all got your M's washed and shined up for the holidays. Happy Holidays to all my fellow M'ers.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    To all the 300M owners and enthusiasts, happy holidays, and best wishes for a safe and peaceful New Year.

Tom (99 Intrepid)
    Toms99,

The tires on the Special are Michelin Pilot Sport unidirectional high performance tires, P245/45ZR18's. Winter tires they ain't. ;)

If you go to the Tire Rack website and check out that tire, it has an N/A under snow traction rating.

They are meant to put max rubber on dry roads and the tread is primarily for channeling water away in the wet.

Actually, I'm in Minnesota, not New England. But just on merit I'd put winter tires on the car to keep from having the sand and salt they use on the road eat on the wheels. Those wheels are high performance items too, using stick on balancing weights instead of the kind that clip on the lip of the rim. The appearance is 100% clean and mean on the "doughnuts".
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    300mmm, regarding covering the hood, bras sometimes result in faded paint, scratches, and there is maintenance involved w/cleaning it. There is a thread here on Edmunds discussing them. I am also winterizing mine, and I'm going to use xpel on it (www.xpel.com). It's fairly invisible beyond a certain range, and I used to use it on my skis so as to preserve the graphics despite lift line edges. I think you definitely should do something since you live in New England.

Regarding polishing, I imagine there are a lot of opinions. My particular opinion, for a balance between laziness and keeping it good looking is to use Zymol cleaner wax once monthly, and 3M cleaner wax if it is unusually dirty. I guess if you're more serious about the polish, they say that zaino works great. As I have to leave mine ungaraged at times, I'm also buying a car cover (covercraft.com or autoanytning.store.com?) for those periods when I leave it out.

Good luck with it--hope you enjoy a long happy relationship with your new car.

Regarding the Pilots, it's interesting to find out that the Pilots are that awful in the snow. I have them on my 'M, so I guess I'll use my Urban Assault Vehicle (i.e. 1990 Buick) when it snows. I like switching back and forth between the two cars, as the Buick is a torque monster with great outward visibility for maneuvering in traffic, while the 'M has more high end power and style and cruises with the best of them on the open road.
    There are several flavors of the "Pilot" line of Michelin tires. They also make all season and snow and ice tires in that line as well. So not all Michelin Pilot tires are bad on snow and ice. Just their pure performance Pilots like the Special has.

If you have a regular M, you probably have the all season Pilots on it.
  • arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    I'm just not going to drive the car once the snow starts. I have a 94 Explorer the wife can drive when it snows. I'll feel much better with her driving a 4x4 instead of the 300M in the snow. Those tires on the Special look like traction is optional.

This winter so far has been outstanding weather-wise. I surf fish and this screwy weather will have me fishing for maybe 2 or 3 more weeks.
    I have V-rated all season pilots. How do they handle in the snow? I have NO idea whatsoever! I live in San Diego for cripes sake. :P
  • nmifr300mnmifr300m Member Posts: 28
    Hi All,

Evidently NMIFR300M got the rear bumper taped by someone. I noticed a white line on both the right and left side of the licience plate in the top part of the indention. Upon looking closer I see that there is a crack running about 2.5 feet across the licence plate area and around the licence plate light. Is there a simple way I can seal this crack,(glue, heat gun, soldering iron...??). If I could get it sealed again and run touch up paint over the repair I think it would look like new, again the crack is in the indention. I hate to go to the insurance company. Does anyone know what it cost to get a new back facia in the right color (Inferno Red)?

On a happier note MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!
  • sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    Once again I am having problems with my OEM Goodyears. After making a 450 mile roundtrip journey to Michigan yesterday I arrived to loss of pressure in both front tires (a problem I've had before). My 2000 M has only 8000 miles. I reinflated as usual and proceeded home. I began to notice a very bad wobble. Has anybody had simular problems or had a hernia in their tires? I am going to Goodyear (hopefully they are open on this Christmas Eve). Happy Holidays folks!
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    Happy Holidays to All My 300M/LHS Friends!

http://members.home.net/tsokol5/happyholidays.htm

arby: I live in Barnegat and work in Stafford...if I see a Special cruz'in down Rt. 9, Rt. 72 or the GSP, I'll know it's you!! Good fishin'!!

Michelin Pilots: Well the Pilot XGT Z4's I bought in June have at least a modest snow and ice rating. I'll guess I'll find out myself soon enough! I just know thaey are about 100 times better in wet weather than the BadYears.

arby again: WOW! you boght the Special for your wife?? You da man! I bought my wife a 2001 Concorde for Christmas last week. I love my wife, but if I bought a Special, IT WOULD BE MINE!! I'd just give her my 99LHS to compensate :-)

Struts: have any of you NON-PHG guys tried replacing your stock struts with the PHG struts? What was the result? I realize you won't get a PHP ride, but I'm wondering if it made any difference at all.....

Tom

99LHS

01Concorde

• hataxhatax Member Posts: 56
    Kosh, now that I know you live in MN, I might have to see if I can convince you to take me out for a ride in your shiny new special! Hehe, I live in MN too and I believe that Scotian does as well.. Just wondering what dealership you got it from, as if they get one in to see I may drive by for a drool or two.
  • guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    To all my 300m friends...

Merry Grinchmas and a Happy Who Year!!!

http://communities.msn.com/racefan9s2000chrysler300m

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    To all! Even non-300M owners!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Just wanted to wish all of you Happy Holidays. May 2002 be a great year for us all.
    With the springs (intrax) and the struts I am expecting a PHP type ride. although I do like the softer suspension, but want tighter handling, plus lowering the car somewhat. Will let you know when it gets done.
    I had problems with the install of my digital sound processor. All I get is full 405 watts of sound (no volume control) so I have to start to find out which wire is wrong.
    Overhead TV screen works great, although it was not as advertised but worked out a good deal for it, so I will keep it.
    I was very tempted to get that throttle body on ebay, but since I bid against you last time I thought I would not do it this time. Good luck with it. Although I noticed Apjiii did. You got a smoken deal.
    CHRISTMAS!!!!

everyone, keep safe and keep warm here in the east coast... guess bing crosby's been singing white christmas all day today here in buffalo... someone need to hush him up.. i can't send my kids out there much longer to shovel the driveway without bribing them or resort to blackmail.

have a good one...

sleeps
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Yup 300Mike I got smoked by one of our own... lol

I had 70mm dreamz that were shattered when I read the "You have been Outbid" email ...

Oh well... It was a good deal though... How much do those throttle bodies cost from a dealer anyway ?

Have fun with it OneWheel...

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night...
    Ya know, one true advantage of a traditional christmas is having your kids leave a big plate of cookies and a cold glass of milk for Santa before they go to bed. I almost feel guilty that at the store today I told my kids (6 and 4) "Hey, I hear that Santa REALLY likes these cookies here". heh.

I hope everyone has a wonderful rest of the year. We've all been through a lot emotionally over the last few months, so hopefully this holiday season we can get to enjoy all that is good with the world. Be good, drive safe, and enjoy the company of your loved ones.

Mike

Oh yeah..I know it's not in the christmas spirit, but If I see any more gingerbread I think I'm gonna scream. lol
    I live in Owatonna.

The dealer isn't optimistic that they'll be able to get another one. In fact, he has had a problem getting regular 300M's for stock and keeps selling them as fast as they come in.

They run a best price operation where all the cars have the dealers price on the vehicle. So there's no hassle buying a car there. So far they're on track to sell over 2000 vehicles this year, a record for them. I really like doing business there.

If you're looking to find one you might try Walser Chrysler/Mazda in Burnsville. They appear to like stocking PHP M's so chances are really good they have a couple Specials on order.

Sure, I'd be happy to meet fellow club members and give you guys a ride. But, I'd like to wait until the snow melts and I have the stock rubber back on for full effect ;) I don't think it would be as much fun on snow and ice tires.
  • on1wheelon1wheel Member Posts: 68
    just wanted to wish everyone a merry christmas!,also thanks to 300micheal,and ajpiii, for not making me have to pay out more $$ for the throttle body.now i just got to figure out what to do with this thing! i guess next purchase will be a K&N filtercharger,and some springs.
    its snowing here,so i guess i`ll be changing back to the 16" badyears tomarrow. ;(
    oh,hope everyone got what they wished for from santa!
    once again,Merry Christmas to all!
    I already have what I wanted. Family, friends and of course my modded out 300M. Of course an air suspension kit would have been nice:) 1wheel, you are welcome, I figured you needed it more then I did. Get your grinding tools out. Did some one say Dremel moto tool?
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Well, as one famous person once said, "The long national nightmare is over." Not Watergate or Filegate or Interngate, no--the 3 year nightmare of driving Badyear Eagle LS tires on my 99M. I had the car in the shop for a service and had them recheck the alignment. The tech drove the car, and I rode. Within 50 yards he said "You've got at least two bad or twisted belts in these four tires. Geez, what a surprise. He checked the alignment and said one front wheel was slightly off, so I had that corrected, but the low speed wobble didn't change, so I took it to the tire shop. Finally, I had had enough. I had them put on Dayton [owned by Firestone/Bridgestone] Daytonas [which the head guy recommended to me on a previous visit [at $117 per] in 245-45ZR-17 size. They had to do one wheel to be sure the 245s would work on the 7" rim width. It did, and I am now on a 30 day test ride. If they don't feel right, then he has Bridgestone Potenzas that I will try next. So far--280 mile roundtrip to Nashville at 70-80mph they ran pretty good although the Z rating makes them a little stiffer. They supposedly put in 34 psi, where I used 31 psi on the Badyears. Noise level was slightly less than Badyears, and the wider stance definitely makes the car handle nice. So far--no sign of the low speed wobble. I have not changed out my full size spare yet, as I want to be sure these tires are the ones I want to stay with. So far so good on their performance.I am going to check the Miata site that someone posted to try to figure out just how fast I was going when the speedo read 70mph. One TN cruiser tailgated me for about a mile before losing interest and moving on. Maybe he was admiring the racing stripe!!
    On the changing of differential fluid issue I raised some time ago, I raised it again at the time of this service on the car. This time the tech told the customer rep that he would change it now if it hasn't been changed. And no, they do not necessarily change it with a tranny service. Only 180 degrees from what I was told last time. Great, so I had them do it at 38K. They used 90 weight grear oil I was told. I hope that was right. Too bad this was not mentioned in the 99M maintenance schedule [A] for the kind of driving I do. Anyway, that got done.

On the noisy window. If you had them tinted check the area inside the sill when the window is all the way down. After I had mine done I found one of the plastic molding pieces had gotten folded over and was running against the direction that the glass went up instead of lying flush against it. It made kind of a scraping sound. A little careful work with the back of a butter knife got the plastic molding flipped back over and the window has been quiet since. I also apply an instant dry silicone spray to the edges of the windows and insides of the moldings, and that has worked well. The stuff is amazing and really dries almost instantly with no greasy residue. Watch out for the spray-on wax from car wash efforts because this can get under the molding and then it dries like glue. It takes a well placed fist at several spots to break the window loose. I try to open the windows and wipe them clean along the edges after every car wash where I get the spray on wax.

Well, everyone have a great "Festivus" holiday.
    by the look of the family room and the toys all over the place, is xmas reallly over? LOL

my kids put out marshmellows and their handmade peanut butter and jelly sandwich along with a few nerds candy for santa, and half a cup of milk to wash all that down... i told my 14 y/o he can eat that just to put a few bite marks on the sandwich, he said "no way, there's hair and all sorts of things on that sandwich!" 5 year olds... gotta love them!

since the snow i haven't took Mary out of the garage!

happy new years to come everyone!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sleepmw-

Yep- it's over! Can you believe it? By next week the stores will have the Valentine's Day stuff out and the following week, the Easter stuff! LOL... WHY do they rush things?

Gather that you are buried in that Buffalo snow? HOW do you survive with all that white stuff? I could never do it. Winter in CT is bad enough for me. Give me Palm trees and blue water anytime! ;-)

Looks like Mary will be in the garage for a while if it doesn't stop snowing! Good thing you work at home.

Hope you had a good holiday. Have a Happy, Healthy and Peaceful New Year.

fastdriver
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I will take you up on your offer, after the snow melts!