Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    should be an easy fix. I bet it's the engine speed sensor.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    doing some warranty stuff tomorrow--I was thinking of mentioning that "bump" problem with the M trannyy---does it bump when its accelerating or decelerating---I think I noticed a slight bump from 3rd to 2nd on deceleration--is that what others have noticed--also what year does the TSB on this problem apply to--also what is the TSB number on this.

Scotian: that bulb shouldnt have burned out that quickly--are the Xenon's like the halogens in that maybe you shouldnt handle them with fingers as the oils can cause a premature burnout

I saw the crossfire at the auto show a couple of months ago--as I remember it, it was fairly big for a sporty car--probably heavy too---also saw the Charger--another beautiful car almost as nice as the 300N convertible--sure hope Chrylser survives this downturn and makes these concepts into reality!
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Some have reported this to be a problem with the Input Speed Sensor part # 4800878 (Sensor TR 8037155), and have said it's roughly $100 parts and labor to fix, if not under warranty. I have no personal knowledge about it.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Scotian the bins are to be put on the upper B post. The reason ,the headliner on non sunroof cars does not meet head protection standards ,adding these bins does! But they look stupid.
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Do you know why the 99's are not included in the recall?
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I think I got a letter about this and I have a 99 with a sunroof. I believe it said it was for non sunroof cars so I think I ignored it. It sounds ridiculous. I too would like to know how a bin solves head protection problem and how much storage you get in a B pillar. Pics are definately required. Otto?
    http://public.fotki.com/lhbuilder/lh/recall.html check here for a pic. the bins act as a cushion in the event that you hit your head in an accident . I guess this bin was easier to do than to put more padding under the headliner. IMOP this was a bad move ,nobody wants these eyesores in there cars. DC would have been better to recall the cars and put more padding under were you would not see it.
  • tictac3tictac3 Member Posts: 78
    FYI -- For those of you looking for on-line storage of your electronic images, Fujifilm.net provides this service free of charge.

I just got my first digital camera (Fuji 6800 with an effective 6 million pixels of resolution). All of you digital experts out there, be prepared for some rather stupid questions from me from time to time.
  • 300mmm300mmm Member Posts: 27
    Does this affect 2002's? or did DC add padding or something to avoid the need?
    padding was added, no bins needed
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Not that I want any "bins", but I have two non-sunroof 300M's (2000 & 2001) and have not received a safety recall notification for either car...
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Ditto here, I got no bin recall for my 99M but it could be because I am considered "hard headed."
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    does the recall affect '01 Ms? We don't need no stinkin ugly storage bins!
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    THIS dr is not in the 300m repair business; so please do NOT send your 300m's to drpixel.....(what?.....oh, a Chrysler 300m DOCTOR....): oops, sorry!

Hope you all have a good weekend.....there was an explosion downtown here in Noo Yawk up on/near Broadway. Seems some ConEd manhole covers (..the story that hear, anyway...) blew, and took out a jewelry store windows right up da block from da Fed. The cops seem to be allowing pedestrians through, but I ain't going anywhere near Broadway!

Regards to all my 300m friends and fellow car nuts!
    drpixel/Glenn
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Sheesh, those bins look like fugitives from a Hoover vacuum. :)

As an aside, UPS has struck again. Anyone care to take a stab at explaining how they could lose a 47 lb mounted wheel and tire? Ah, but they did. I get home yesterday and there are my snow tires & wheels - all three of them.

When I check the tracking it shows that the tire & wheel was scanned and loaded on the truck for delivery. But somewhere between the UPS station and my house it magically disappeared, and now they show it as lost. Tire Rack was great about it. They took one look at the tracking info and said they'd ship a replacement out today.

Luckily the weather is warming up and the snow will be melting, not falling here for the next week or so.
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    on1wheel

I had the same problem with the tranny. Its proably the speed sensor. They may do it under warranty even if your warranty is expired.

Ed
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Mykem- The extra key has a Chrysler emblem on it, so I believe it was one that came with the car (I bought it used). Worst case, I can always use it to unlock the door if I lock my primary set inside the car. (Yes, I have done that more than once)

lflowers- Well, I usually let the seats warm up a couple of minutes along with the engine before starting out in cold weather. The SO hates to be cold, so it's worth the extra gas to do a short warmup. My little guy gets stuck with the frigid rear seat. Too bad it's not heated as well.

Sometimes when I have a backache from weekend gardening I will use the heated seat for the therapeutic value. "What a d-r-a-g it is getting o-l-d"

Silver
    Here's a picture of Bigmike's SS badge on his M. He'll tell you more about it. :)

http://www.ritchiefamily.com/car/ss_image.jpg

Follow the UPS driver home and see what snow tires he has on his car. ;)
    Those bins themselves could be a safety hazard, unless all you store is tissues -- whatever you "store" in them could fall and hit in you on the head.

I'm going to the dealer today to finally get the other 2 window bezels replaced (driver's side). It took a month and a half to finally get the right parts. After 4 weeks I called because I hadn't gotten the standard letter telling me they were in. When I did call the parts department had not record so I left a message for the service manager that had ordered them. He called me back and of course, there was a problem with one of the parts and they would reorder (first 2 trys, one wrong year, other bent). Then I got a letter a couple days later telling me my "hand parking brake" was in. My what? Anyway, I called and confirmed they are both in and I'm taking the car in right now. I'll let you know the outcome. One thing for sure, I'll try another dealer next time I have a problem. They are nice and accommodating at this dealership, but they can't seem to get it right with the parts.
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Mentioned to a buddy who is a regular Woodward Dream Cruise participant (Prowler Club) that I would probably go this year as the 300M Enthus. Club was trying to put together a side trip for a plant tour in Brampton. He said that there probably won't be much happening at that time of the year as far as production.
    I would like to see a sizeable group go if there is some interest and some action at the plant. Wha do you think?
    Rick/Geezer300M
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    SDMike was nice enuf to post the pic just above. Sorry it isn't better by I was in the garage. I decided I liked the SS badge showing up on the Chevy Dale Earnhart limited edition Monte Carlo, so I got some off the net and painted them silver [using the wife's Eldo sterling touch up paint which is brighter than the Platinum M color] and added them just under the front fender badge. They originally came in red but I did not like it on Platinum as much as I did on the black Monte Carlo. The bright silver sets-off better against the Platinum. Anyway, several Chevy drivers have swerved off in disbelief when viewing the M with SS badging blowing by them. Well, if you can't afford a "Special" right now, at least you can make your own M special. Have a good weekend all. Dr.-- Take care in New Yawk will ya.
    What a suprise. I get to the dealer, they take my car and, thankfully, the shuttle driver was not back from a run yet so I waited. 10 minutes later the Svc Mgr tells me he's awfully sorry, but there still was one bezel not yet in. The girl I spoke with on the phone who checked was wrong (because she thought I needed that "hand brake"). He promised to check the parts personally when they arrive next week and to call me personally to make an appointment. I just wasted an hour of my time. Oh well. One surprising thing though...they didn't have one single M on the lot (come to think of it I didn't see any Intrepids nor LSH/Concords either).

On a side note, you gotta love that Zaino. Yesterday I put on I think the 12th coat (Z5 tihis time) in just a little over a year. As I was walking to my car from a store today I saw a middle aged couple admiring my car and overhead him saying "it's brand new." Didn't have the heart to tell him it's 3 years old. I frequently get a lot of teenage boy admirers working the fast food drive throughs. They always say..."Nice car, is it new?" -- no just Zaino.

It's a beautiful sunny day in the 70's here....think I'm gonna go drink a Corona.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I have a question for anyone here who this may pertain to. Who was it here has put Dunlop SP Sport A2's on their 300M or LHS? From what I have read and seen these appear to be very high quality and have a very low noise level. My question is, who here has them and how do you like them? Are they really as quiet as they seem? What's the difference in highway travel (60-75mph) from your old tires (mainly the nasty crapyears)?

Also, for anyone here who uses Zaino, I have a question or two. If you want to put a second, third, fourth, etc. coat on after the first, how long do you really have to wait? Also, how long on average did it take you to do it the first time? How many coats did you use? We have Deep Slate and I want to get the best, longest lasting shine available.

The reason for these questions is that they may be helpful this spring-summer, hopefully. Our 300M still only has 16,200 miles but we're all about at our breaking point with the absolutely horrible noise and droning, variable shakes and vibrations, and lack of grip and control on the road provided by you guessed it, the Eagle LS's! Matter of fact, just took a 2 hour each way trip today and the car was a bit tiring to ride in to say the least. It's been freezing around here lately, hitting abut 40 in the afternoon and the teens at night. Because of the snow yesterday, the car that was perfectly smooth, shiny, and beautiful on Wednesday now looks like complete crap. It's like the car has been through a war, the paint turned white and brown by the slush, snow, and salt. Yuck! That brings up the other question about the Zaino. I hope to get some better cleaning products this spring and really get the car lookin' new again. Zaino seems like the perfect answer.

Hopefully too, we can get a nice little insurance settlement from the accident and improve our 300M. But I wouldn't bet on it. Well, maybe just the tires and Zaino will be enough (if we ever get around to that even!)

Thanks again!
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Could we insert the 02 padding into our 99-01 300M's? It should work and do the job with out looking bad.
    Or do we have to put body side molding to protect our heads? Then of course there is always expansion foam (my favorite).
    Thanks,
    Are very quiet. Did you check the tire rack site they list how quiet the tires are. Of course you also have to decide the wet/dry handling, and traction considerations of each tire too. I really like my Pole positions (Bridestone) S-03's They are almost as quiet as the Dunlops, but the handling is better on them. Plus they have the 225/55 17 size tires. All the tech manuals from the manufactors list 245/45 17 as too wide for the 7" rim. I believe Tire Rack, and Discount tire list the, tire to rim requirements on there web sites.
    Is there a such thing as a universal remote for the car stereos? I have a remote for the rear TV, Stereo/Head unit, Navigation System, and DVD Changer. Having just one remote would be nice.
  • svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    kosh_2258 thanks for the reply, but I determined that the noise (a high pitched squeak) is coming not from the doors, but the hard plastic that covers the A and C pillars on the driver's side. When I jiggle these pieces they seem to be rubbing something and make an extremely annoying sound. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark
    vaseline? heh. Just kidding. If you can get under them you might try a little silicon spray. I think most rattles/squeaks in today's cars are plastic-on-plastic rubbing (except for Beach15 who has a poltergeist :)) Try it on an out-of-the-way piece first to make sure it doesn't discolor the plastic.
    I don't know about you other unemployed guys, but I'm shooting for a "project per day" to keep me feeling productive and to keep me sane. Today I cleaned out my home office desk. Oh my gosh. Two plastic garbage bags, three storage boxes and 15 new eBay auctions later I finally got it done. lol! On another positive note, both of my boys today decided that the training wheels were coming off. It's about time for my 7 year old! As soon as they came off he was riding like a pro! Just a safety net I guess. My 4 year old still needs some practice on starts and stops, but he did great! I sure am pooped from chasing him around though! lol

Hey Blonda - I think the general IQ of the guys at Poway Chrysler is about 50 points higher than what you're describing. I've had great luck with them and John Hine Dodge down in Mission Valley when it comes to my wife's van. You take yours to Escondido, don't you?? Have you tried the guys over in Carlsbad? I hate paying for their ocean view, but most dealers that I've had interaction with over there have been pretty decent.
    Any of you guys that have been lamenting the fact that super discounter Fry's Electronics didn't have a web site, your wait is over. They bought outpost.com apparently. Looks like most of their insane 2 day only deals (e.g. 256MB of SDRAM for $27) don't make it to the site, but they still have good prices. Blonda, I think they're also building a new store up in San Marcos.
    rstilp- ??? why not we build cars in Aug. Our summer shutdown is in July. Lots to see and do,and if all else fails the beer store is just down the street. ;-)).I hope to see lots of you guys in Detroit and Brampton. Cant wait!!!

Guys , not sure if the 01's are affected, I just know what the problem is. Could you put more padding in sure .Just pull off the B post cover and jam some padding or foam up between the roof and headliner. Maybe we should all wear helmets when we drive.
    I found a great site if you want to order custom stripes in all shapes and sizes--and they also do signs and web pages---

this has to be one of the neatest flash sites around-- a friend of mine ordered side stripes and said they look better than he expected:

here is the site: http://intricatelines.com/
  • sel714sel714 Member Posts: 35
    Maybe you can help. I have a 99 m 3 years old now. Started getting a wet spot on the drivers side floor board a couple months ago. The spot seems to be about the size of a grapefruit right about where your right heel would rest. My 5* dealer took the car and gave me a loaner which was nice. They put a new gasket on the driver side door and also sealed some body seems? I did notice some pieces of foam material between the door and the front fenders on both sides of the car. Is this what they mean by body seems? I let the car dry out a couple of weeks. The SO and I both felt the carpet and it felt dry. So i put the matt back in last week. Well Monday i felt under the matt and it feels wet again. Last night I noticed something strange. This has happened 3 or 4 times in the last couple of months. It was completely dry outside no rain in over a week.
    I took a buddy from work for a spin. I did some fast driving had it up to 90mph. He took me for a ride in his Corvette last week so I wanted to impress him. Right after I did this I noticed water running down my back window. We stopped under a street light and the car was a little dusty and you could see where water had came out at the back middle of the sunroof. There is a place where the seem comes together. There was water all over the rear window. I now recall this happening only since my water leek in the car.
    My question is where does the sunroof drains drain at and is it possible they could be clogged up and causing my wet floorboard.
    Sorry for the long post but I have another appt with my 5* next week and i hoped to have some idea's in case they don't.
    sel714
    Hey sel714 , there are 4 drains on this sunroof. The front drain tubes are routed down the front A posts on either side and exit out between the top and bottom front door hinges. Look for a fairly large round rubber grommet with a short piece of plastic hose sticking out( it should stick out about 1/2 an inch) .The back drains run down the C post and if you open your trunk you will notice two small rubber grommets just under the back window. If you say your getting water on the drivers side floor ,check to see that the plastic hose on the front left side has not been pushed back into the grommet. Also the drain hose may have been touching something under the trim panels and sprung a leak ,so just because the hose is through the grommet don't think all is OK. Also look up top around the sunroof area , check to make sure that no debris have accumulated in the sunroof itself. That foam between the door and the fender is not a body seam, it is a sound deadener. A body seam is were to two pieces of metal are joined and a filler compound is used to seal the gap. This filler will and can crack over time and cause a water leak. Water leaks are one of the hardest things to trace. All it takes is a small hole or bad body seam , and water will find its way in. Good luck.
  • arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    Well, the wife's initial impressions of, "You bought a Man's Car for me!" has been changed to, "I'll be back". She absolutely loves the car and is up to over 1500 miles already. I hardly get to drive it now. But when I do.... :^)
    Just a off handed guess is that the rubber door seals are probably rubbing against the plastic. If you look, you'll notice that the door seals also double as the interior trim around the door openings. The inner rubber lip overlaps the the trim.

I'd still suggest the same treatment. Lift up the edge of the rubber trim and spray the silicone lube under it. Sometimes popping and re-seating the plastic trim will help too. The trim is held in place by spring clips and comes off pretty easily if you work a finger under the top edge and pull firmly (don't yank) on it.

The other thing I've found works is to go to a hardware store and buy several feet of self adhesive velcro strip. If you can identify where the squeek is, you can apply a strip of the fuzzy half of the velcro to the backside of the trim and reseat it. The velcro takes up the slack and provides a soft surface to rub against to kill the squeek.
    Yeah, I'm starting to rack up miles on mine too, but only up to 250 so far (but most of it during the last week). The roads are dry enough now that I've been taking it to work. A nice 30 mile round trip every day on the freeway so she's getting broken in with highway miles.

The wife hasn't driven it yet. She likes her Jeep and is content to drive that. Who am I to argue? :)

Arby, how's your fuel consumption doing? I notice that mine's a little thristy compared to the Intrepid, but I've chalked that up to still being stiff. The different final drive is very noticable as are the 30 extra horses. I can hit the freeway running without having to floor the car like I did the Intrepid.

The Infinity II sounds great but is light on bass compared to the system in the Intrepid. I'll probably be installing an Infinity Basslink in the trunk when the weather warms up. Should be easy to install since I can tap it right off the amp.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    New Year's DAy is my traditional, "Clean out the home office" day. Bags of shredded documents, recycle old mutual fund prospectus', purge, purge, purge! What fun! Enjoy your projects and good luck with the job search, when it begins. I was "right-sized" five years ago (anniversary of that joyful event is at the end of this month). After a bit of soul searching, I changed careers and, for once in my life, I had pretty good timing. It has worked out well, as I'm sure your next opportunity will for you.

Wife actually let me drive her new RX300 today. Very nice, but I'm still a car guy. My next car is probably going to be smaller then my 300M, but you never know.

Happy New Year, all. So far it is, stock market-wise at least. Now if we can just attain that peace on earth thing...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    I use mine constantly on my '99 even in winter and I've never had a problem. Do you know of any routine maintenance tips to keep it in A-1 working order? I'm thinking maybe it should be lubricated on occasion. If so where with what type of grease? I.e., a little white lithium on the tracks?
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    They say that the production crossfire has 300M-like headlights.

I think they look like Pontiac Aztek headlights, almost identical.

I liked the concept Crossfire's lights much better.
  • hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    Happy New Year to everyone!

laurasdada - I know what you mean when you say that you are still a car guy. SUVs are very practical but to me they are still more like light trucks..

Just got the new Car&Driver where they tested 7 sports sedans. BMW 330i won again. CTS made number 4. 300M was not included since these were all cars with manual gearboxes. If you are a hard-core driver, I am sure something like an A4 or 330i is a killer machine. But price as tested for the BMW was $38900. Ouch. I don't get people who buy these kind of cars with an automatic as an interstate cruiser. Why not pay thousands less and have a much more comfortable car like a 300M or an Acura TL. Beats me...
    Has anyone here put bike racks on their M? I'm debating whether to put DC roof racks, after market roof racks (e.g. Thule, Yakima) or a trailer hitch for a rear-mounted bike holder. I've heard that the hitch hides mostly behind the rear bumper and isn't too bad looking, but I'd like to see it first. Anyone rack their car yet and have pictures? opinions?
  • sel714sel714 Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the info on the sunroof drains. I hope it is just something as easy as the hose not sticking out of the grommet. If not what trim panels should need to be removed to check? The kick panel down by the parking brake? The wet spot seems to be right between the gas pedal and the brake pedal about where the heel of my right foot rests on the floor. If the sunroof drain is not the problem where are the body seams that would be the most likely to cause a leek in this area. I really love this car but I am concerned about the leek because I am already noticing a musty smell when get down to look at it.
    Thanks again sel714
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Here's a link to pics of both the new Crossfire and the 2004 Pacifica Hybird/SUV/Minivan thing. It's not that great looking but not bad. As for the Crossfire, I actually liked some of the concepts lines better, particularly the front--those headlights are ugly.

Well, here's the link:

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com/chrysler/chrysler.html

• greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    The drivers out side mirror on my 300M is not the auto dimming type. Is there any way to convert to an auto dimming unit?
    Should we go t the beer store before or after the plant tour? :^)
    Should we go t the beer store before or after the plant tour? :^)
    Geezer300M
    and get some of that there LaBatts, eh? :)
    Anyone know the price point of the Crossfire. Interesting looking car and a 5 speed to boot.

I saw the Chronos at the auto show and that was one nice vehicle. Wonder if it will make it to production. Any inside info, Ottoworker?

Went to my negative 2* on Friday. They replaced the window regulator, steering wheel, 2 door lock acutators and staighted out a twisted seat belt on the driver seat. They didnt have time to install my new front door speakers. Window is now creak free and no more door lock buzzing. Steering wheel has a rougher texture but is not as slippery as before and I think it will be more wear resistant. I think the steering wheel wear problem is related to the original being analine dyed as opposed to drum dyed. Analine dyed is almost like paint which can wear off. I believe the new wheel is drum dyed where the color gets deeper into the leather. Time will tell.

Hey Ottoworker: Do they sell Sam Adams and India Pale Ale in Canada? If not, I'll have to bring my own liquid refreshment if I make the Canadian club meet. When is this meet taking place?

Easyrider300M