Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Chrysler sales were off about 10% in 2001. They hope to break even in 2002 but dont sound very certain about meeting that projection. Here is the link to recent news: http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20020106/bs/autos_show_chrysler_dc_3.html

Hope this doesnt delay any new model introductions.

Easyrider300M

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    like I said - headlights are almost identical to Pontiac Aztek.

Also the grille looks quite different.

I guess now that the production car will be made on the MB SLK platform, the hood and the grille resemble the MB.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Chrysler being made in Europe, on an MB platform. I will alway think of it as the baby SLK. Maybe the badge is made in Canada. Also too bad the styling has been "MB" (subdued), I will miss the old (90's) way of daring new designs.
    full page article in this weeks issue--talks about the Crossfire and its use of Mercedes parts---expected to sell for about $35,000. They only expect to sell 20,000 vehicles in its first year.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Well, dropping the HP down to 215 from 275 just cost them one of the guys who might have been included in the 20,000 1st year buyers.
  • ski1001ski1001 Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2k 300m and don't remember if there was a lighted key ignition. Anyone know if it should be lighted or not?

Mine does not light up and I'm not sure if it ever did.
  • 300m_vt300m_vt Member Posts: 32
    Nope. Not on the Y2k's (at least not mine) :)
  • tictac3tictac3 Member Posts: 78
    Went to the 2002 Philly Auto Show yesterday. As soon as you enter the main exhibition hall in the convention center, there, in all of its glory, is the 300 Hemi-C Concept car!!! The pictures that I have seen do not do it justice; it is absolutely gorgeous. My friend's words, when he saw it (and he's a Vette owner) "This is what I would think a four passenger Vette would look." By far, it was the best looking non-exotic there and it seemed to draw one of the larger crowds of gawkers! If you get a chance to go to the auto show (it runs through next Sunday), do so. But, be careful, you may slip on the drool all around the Hemi-C.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    "full page article in this weeks issue--talks about the Crossfire and its use of Mercedes parts---expected to sell for about $35,000. They only expect to sell 20,000 vehicles in its first year."

If that's true, then how much will the new 300's be? They will be higher up the line so they would have to cost more.
    I had the Dunlop SP Sport 9000's on the stock rims for a few months. 245-45-17's. Don't know if the A2's are going to be different, but my experience are that Dunlop's are VERY picky about rim width. I had nothing but pulling, & vibration problems using that size on the stock rims. I called Dunlop & they said it was a rim width issue, & refused to help me. I also found it VERY hard to get it alighned. I put a set of stock tires(michelins) on, & the M was straight, no pulling, no vibrations. Put the dunlop's back on, & these problems returned. However on the 18X8 rims I had these tires in the 245-45-18 size were perfect, & straight.
  • cbwonguscbwongus Member Posts: 40
    Have there been any updates on the progress of the custom grill project that someone had mentioned they were working on?
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Yes, I'm dealing with the Escondido dealer. Unfortunately I need to keep going to them until they finish what they started (especially since my car is no longer under the orig factory warranty). After I get the window trim fixed I'm definitely going to Poway or Carlsbad for any future problems.
    Is there any way to tell if a 300M has the PHP/PHG by the vin number? I cannot look at the car so the vin is all I have.
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    The Dallas newspaper had an article on the Detroit show yesterday. They printed a picture of the Chrysler Pacifica and I am quite impressed with it's looks. The author of the newspaper article said it looks like a cross between a 300M and a BMW X5. It's lower than an SUV and appears more muscular than a station wagon or minivan.
    And as I was typing this message I just saw the Pacifica on the ABC Evening news and I like it's looks even more than I previously thought. I wouldn't give up my M for it though, I'm thinking perhaps that could be my wife's next car. Of course she will have something to say about that, I suppose. She has a congenitally bad back and selects a new car by trying the seats on (she hates the seats in my M).
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    Turned in my 99 300M at the end of the lease. 55000 miles and the body was still solid, no creaks, no groans, like new.

Most interesting was the sales staff at he agency. In the past, I have seen Chrysler agencies where the staff is not too thrilled about the vehicles they were selling. Not now. The young people at this particular dealer really like the products they are selling. This particular dealer, a very small one, had already sold one SPecial and had another on the lot.

Ed
  • toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I didn't notice this through my first 3 winters, but this week I have noticed that my FM reception on even strong stations fades to static when I put the rear defroster on...

Anyone else experience this? The antenna and the defroster are obviously in close proximity...could there be a short somewhere?? I have no clue as to where to start troubleshooting this one...
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    I saw the Pacifica at the Indy auto show but it was on a turnstyle "guarded" by a slinky model in an evening gown. Your description of its appearance is right on. It has an intriguing quality that requires one to study it from several angles before admitting that it does look pretty good. One thing....and I told the model this (as if it would do any good), the name is all wrong. Doesn't match the visceral appeal of the vehicle at all.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    easyrider300m-

10%, 70% loss?

http://detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0201/05/autos-382802.htm

fastdriver
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Any Chrysler dealer can run the VIN and give you a summary of the options.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    I feel sorry for DC. Think I'll go out and buy a 2002 Ram 1500.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    How long will it take Honda to copy this idea?
    The 300M's have no key light. When you open the doors The door, map, and curitesy lights all go on.
    The Crossfire is built in a specialty plant so the cost is much higher then one built in the Americas. And most of it is MB parts, so the cost is higher, even though it is not at the top of the food chain (automotively speaking).
    So what are you going to get now?
    Maybe the name refers to the feeling the driver feels while in the vehicle. You know calm, peaceful, and relaxed (while flying through the curves and speeding down the Hiways). Kind of like how the 300M drives.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I crawled around in one when I did the product review session this summer. I liked the look from the rear wheels forward, but I didn't like how they finished off the side windows towards the rear. I think they tried to make it look more flowing, but I think it just looks hokey. The way the rear seats and gate work are pretty cool though (if they kept the designs that they showed us). The rear seats disappear to provide an amazing amount of room, and the rear gate (again, in the prototype) actually pivoted about 18 inches forward of the back corner, which was hinged before going down the back window. You would lift the handle up, which would cause a pivot at the front and a folding at the hinge. You would essentially fold the rear window up to where it would almost sit on the roof. The amount of room to load cargo was amazing.
    I gave Big Red a bath today and was horrified at the amount and severity of scratches on my drivers rear quarter panel. No dents, just clusters of scratches all over. My guess is that the neighborhood kids use my car for some purpose when they're playing on our street..something like grabbing onto it to stop their scooters or something. The scratches were on the left side of the trunk, the bumper, and all over the outside of the quarter panel, clustered like each set was some "event" that occurred. It made me sick to my stomach. I decided I had two choices...get it repainted or find a product that would hide the scratches. Z5 was no match for the scratches..even after 4 or 5 localized coats. Dejected I went off to Kragen Auto Parts to see if anyone still sold that colored car polish that's supposed to fix faded and scratched paint. I figured if it messed up the car I would have to paint it anyway, right?

I came out with a bright red...kinda pinkish looking...bottle of Turtle Wax Color Cure. It even had a waxy lipstick-like device with it for deeper scratches. Interesting stuff. The guy at the store said he tried their black on his car but it was kind of a charcoal color and didn't match well. Didn't sound good, but what the hell. I used the stick on a couple of deeper scratches where I could see the white of the primer under the scratch. It went on like crayon....and was just as attractive. However, surprise! When I buffed it off after a few minutes it did a pretty good job of filling the scratch and blending. Not perfect, but pretty good considering. A couple more layers made it even better.

Then I tried the Color Cure. Oh my gosh this stuff was nasty. It permanently stained the application rag immediatly, and it took me a while to get the stuff off my hands when I was done. I feared I would have giant fuscia (fuschia?) patches on my quarter panel where I applied the stuff. But, surprise again! It did a darned good job. Three coats made the scratches almost invisible!! I was finally no longer sick to my stomach, and I found a product that was a keeper for me. I finshed it up with a couple coats of Z5 just to give it the zaino touch again and I'll be damned if it doesn't look just super. :)

Another discovery. You guys know I've been asking about terrible discoloration of my A pillars between the front and rear doors...kind of like terrible, blotchy, dulling hard water stains. I even posted a picture. Well, when i was working with the Z5 I decided to give the pillar one more try. This time I scrubbed at it, and amazingly the "stuff" started to come up a bit. It started to look like some kind of residue instead of plastic discoloration. Once I found that out I went to my "residue removal stuff" section of the garage and tried things like lighter fluid, goo gone and a couple other solvents on small areas. Nothing. Whatever it was (is) it doesn't seem to respond to typical solvents....but the Z5 has an effect on it. So I spent the next 15 minutes scrubbing like hell and got the pillars to a tolerable level of shine. Not a bad car day if you ask me. :)

Big Red's Home Page
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Karmann has been in the business of lower volume manufacturing for years and is quite good at it. I'm not sure that the Crossfire will pay a penalty in price for being built by them. Remember the VW Scirocco? Those were ALL built by Karmann for VW and while more expensive than a Rabbit/Golf they weren't significantly higher.

The MB parts will be hard to get used to. But it was probably the availability of those parts that made it possible to get the Crossfire in production so quickly. Chrysler's lack of a RWD car to adapt the parts from probably dictated the use of the MB drivetrain.

I see the Crossfire as a sneak peek at what the LX cars will have in store for us.
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    300michael:

I have on order an AWD Town and Country. I saw a 300M special, but the versatility, comfort and refinement of the T&C made it a simple choice for me.

ed
    I wonder how long that look will last. Is that stuff permanent or will it wash off with a high pressure car wash? I also have a few deep scratches on my silver M. Do they make a silver color as well. Let us know how durable it is. I just might give that stuff a try myself.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    I used the same stuff on my 67 Galaxie XL Convertible, the paint is getting kind of old. I have to say it worked wonderfully on the painted surfaces. I would not used the colored wax on nonpainted surfaces.

I used the regular clear wax on all the chrome, polished alluminum (there is a ton on a 67 Ford). The car's paint looked better.

I found the lipstick stuff kind of hard to use unless it was warmed up a little. But the Galaxie never sees rain, snow, and anything other than a gentle hand wash, so it worked for me.
    Here's a link to an on-line store that sells the stuff. They have silver. I think I paid less than this at Kragen, but at least it confirms its existence in your color. Give it a shot. Even if it only lasts a couple of washes (it seems more resilient than that) I can always re-apply it when I wax Big Red.

http://www.autobarn.net/turwaxcolcur.html

Anyone here try this contraption? Look like a big car squeegie. If it works without scratching I'd be all over it. Big Red collects dew all night and I could use some help getting her dry.
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I have one. I like it.
  • on1wheelon1wheel Member Posts: 68
    just thought i`d mention i visited the 5* yesterday.
    they replaced the input sensor on trans due to the limp mode,fixed problem.cost..100.00
    i had a trans line leaking at cooler.they fixed it too.cost..117.00
    also had a bad lower rad hose from trans leak(rebbing,and deteriated due to fluid,never seen that before,was like hose started to melt and turned gooey!) cost...96.00
    went ahead and done a trans service since it had never been done,and wife wanted it,cost 90.00.
    now i have an anti freeze leak!,guess its going back!
    also my dealer informed me that they do have a transmission software update for the car.cost is 76.00.i will let them do that too when it goes back in.
    i got no warrenty left,so thats almost 550.00 outa the pocket.that hurts!
    o`well,another car repair,another reason to raise our rents! haha
    i`ll post later,the part #`s and trans info

have a wonderful day!

P.S. just watched bush take off from our deck here in Hamilton!Ohio,from the school i graduated from!i can look down onto city from where i live.
    he flew right over my house at about 200 feet!

later all!
    I just bought one last week. Works pretty good, but you still have to go over it with a towel to get the leftovers (saved about 15 minutes of drying time though). My slate clear coat scratches very easy and I didn't notice any marks.(Even those "touchless" car washes will sometimes leave fine scratches across my hood by their drying towels--grrrrr). I also am a daily user of the "California Car Duster" which is a godsend for dark colored cars like mine.

Speaking of scratches on the quarter panel/bumper. I have used that Color Cure with pretty good results also, but I absolutely cannot get off a few paint marks on my rear bumperleft by other inconsiderate drivers in parking lots. Any ideas? Clay bar didn't do a thing.
    Thanks for the info on the water blade. Sounds like I need one. You might try a mildly abrasive car polish like Simonize. Not sure how the plastic bumper will handle it though.
    I thought you guys would get a kick out of this. I had an old zoom camera that quit working and was beyond repair so I took it apart just to see what made it tick. Just for fun I put it on eBay. heh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1319642461

We need to find you a job!
  • mboomgardenmboomgarden Member Posts: 39
    I have a 2001 300M with the upgraded Chrysler/Infinity 11-speaker stereo system. Though I don't really crank my music too high (I'm a 40-something geezer), I'm bothered by the buzziness that I encounter when playing any music with appreciable bass. In playing with the balance and fader, I've figured out that one of the speakers in the front passenger door is shot. However, even taking that into consideration, I'm less than blown away by the low-frequency sound.

I don't want to go the subwoofer route, but I would be interested in hearing your opinions on replacement speakers for the factory units. Would you replace everything (the front center speaker seems like it would be a pain to get to) or could I realize an improvement by replacing just certain speakers? If so, which ones? What brands give quality sound without breaking the bank?

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money, but if there's an approach that would give me an appreciable bump in quality for a couple hundred dollars, I'd go for it. If it's much more than that, I'll likely get the bum speaker replaced and live with the limitations of the factory system.

Thanks for your help.
    Don't worry, I don't plan to make a living $1.99 at a time. heh. Hey, now that I have time we should make plans to meet for coffee or something. If I sell the camera parts I'll treat! :p
    I've found the infinity speakers to be pretty good, in general. neither the head unit or the speakers handle bass real well, so I'm not sure how much of an improvement you'd get by upgrading the speakers. With my last three cars I kept the stock speakers and replaced the head unit (stereo) with something better and the system improved dramatically. If I were you I'd spend that couple of hundred on a basslink and have the bum speaker replaced by the dealer. Just my opinion. :)
    I believe a lot of us have complained about buzzing in front door speakers--I think something is vibrating in the door. I brought my to my negative 2* and complained about blown speakers in the front area and they ordered a new set of door speakers. I'll let you know how it works out. If you want more bass I think the infinity subwoofer for about $200 is a great deal.

SDMike---someone could make a nice collage out of all those small parts---I see someone is willing to give you 95 cents for the parts. Thats more than I would be willing to spend. I have enough junk as is. I guess it would be a good deal for someone in the camera repair business. Good Luck.

Easyrider300M
    saw a really nice M&M racing jacket worn by someone at Dunkin Donuts where I am a frequent customer. Had the piks of the candy on it and big M&M letters. Would be perfect for one of our members who has 2 300M's. Probably could find it in a sports apparel store.
    I dunno..$1.99 isn't going to cut it. A Grande Latte is going to take you back $3.50. Maybe you can sell your empty Zaino bottles. Someone might be willing to cut them open and scrape out enough for one coat.
  • hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    After washing my 300M today I noticed that I have quite a few paint chips on the front of the hood. Guess I should have gotten a bra. Has anyone used touch up paint for those? Or is it not wise to use it on those small chips? I assume waxing won't help on those, or does it?

Thanks,
    Hans
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    rstilp,kosh_2258- hey beer store stop before and after.Forget the Labatts, real Canadians drink Molson Canadian.

sel714 - there are many seams . No way to list them all

DC sure has some nice stuff coming out in the near future. That Pacifica sure is nice if a minivan is just not your style. I like the crossfire also ,and even with its 215 H.P it will be nice. Bet they raise the power the next year. they always do.Lets just hope they can top all this when the new LX cars come out.
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    I have a 2001 M with the Infinity II system also. I thought I had a blown front speaker, but it turned out to be a loose grill cover. Snapped it back in place & no more buzz. Regarding the lack of bass, I think adding a sub like the Basslink may be the only way to go. I think I get a bit better bass by adjusting the fader to favor the rear (the 6x9's) about 1/4 turn on the dial, and putting the equalizer in a "u"-shaped setting (i.e. bass & treble up, midrange down a bit). Those lower bass octive are still just not there without a sub! I'll prob. add a basslink this spring.

Jon
    If anyone in southern california wants to see/hear what a basslink sounds like in an M just let me know. I'll be glad to show ya. Maybe if I can organize a vegas meet....