Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• sleepymwsleepymw Member Posts: 65
    to the folx out there.. just catching up on the hundreds of so posts since the last time i've lurked in here.

noticed that people are having flags. now, those of you know that i am in new york. but i am originally from taiwan so taiwan flag is on my profile.

waiting for a warm day to do the car properly. with winter, and 5 kids .. one can only imagine what Mary is looking and feeling like.....

dawn, clay, wash, wax .. glaze.. vaccum, detail detail detail... augh
  • sleepymwsleepymw Member Posts: 65
    i guess edmunds don't have a flag for taiwan cuz i cannot see it in my posts.. oh well... i guess i'm the only one here without a flag... :(
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Thanks for all the advice and complements on my wood trim.

Here's the web site for the kit I ordered. It's not for 1999 so the shifter trim won't match, hence the need to upgrade (but I wanted to do that anyway). This was one of the few that replaces the existing factory trim and covers the entire clock/vent section (some just cover the vents.)

http://www.autodash.com/details.lasso?sn=2328&pn=ch-300mc00ca

Sorry this is not a hyperlink. How do you do that anyway?

This kit installs over the trim. You clean it with alcohol, rub on an adhesive promoter and stick on the molded plastic overlays. They have lots of strips of 3M pressure sensitive tape. I installed 7 pieces in less than an hour.

I agree scotian, it looks good now, without the pieces around the radio/shifter. I'm disappointed in the flat pieces, that they don't cover all the base trim. They let the black or agate show.

The flat oval pieces for the outside driver and passenger vents are the worst.

The one for the passenger door window switch looks like someone stuck something on top of the switch as you can the the side edge of the trim.

I've decided that the only flat pieces I might use would be the radio and shifter cover.

IMHO anyway.

Hey I think I stumbled on how to make the hyperlink afterall. Let's check...

The woodtrim again.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1539430&a=12245146&f=0&vt=mp

After you make a profile change to your Country. It takes a little while before the flag actually changes. Post again and see if your Taiwan flag appears.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Hi guys ,just wanted to say I'm back . When they changed over to the new posting software I rarely checked in . I have gotten used to it . Well things at the plant are slow , we will be losing the third shift come may 17. About 1300 people will be out of work. Sad, but most of us new that it was not something that would go on forever. Guess three years was not to bad . We are going to be closed next week April 1 for a week , for what they call inventory adjustment (slow sales). This week we started to build Dodge Intrepid with a new Motor sports Package, to celebrate our return to NASCAR. The plant was also renamed to the BRAMPTON DaimlerChrysler plant ,it used to be called BRAMALEA plant . Well not much else new. Just wanted to say HI ............ OTTO.
  • race9fanrace9fan Member Posts: 53
    what do you mean "motor sports package" i knew they were adding an appearance package like the grand prix. is this some kind of engine mod we'll be able to do??? nice to see you back!!!

Race
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Just noticed it this week. AT 40-50mph I get this woosh, woosh, type of sound from the rear of the car. Sounds like when you have something on the tire, & then drive, it makes a thump sound every time the wheel rotates. Don't know if you guys know what I mean, but anyway, it only happens beteen 40-50mph, & gets louder at 45mph. After 50 it's gone. It's not the tires, wheel balance or alighment. It happend with the stock tires, & I just switched back to the 18"s with dunlops this weekend(pics up Monday:) and it still happens. Brakes seem ok. Everything is tight. Does this sound like a wheel bearing?? I know someone else had a problem with the wheel bearings, but not sure if it was front, or rear. This is only on the rear.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I was cleaning the car today (y2k slate on agate) and noticed that the weatherstripping on the body of the car has shrunk in the upper corners around the b-pillar. I happened on both sides, front and back. I noticed that this strip hung down a little before but now it has moved down about an inch on the outcide against the paint and about a half and inch against the inside plastic panel. On the connected interior hard strip there is some funny "crinkle" lines on the area that make it really appear to have shrunk. I've read this is very common and weatherstripping is always on back-order at the dealer for 300M's. It was really warm today, about 70, did the temperature cause it? I felt around the strip and it was loose but just enough so that I couldn't see daylight coming through.

Anyway, today's warm weather made me regret getting the colors that I did. The deep slate pearl and agate look nice but the interior was like a 120 degrees after sitting in the sun for a little while and the steamy seats had my backside sweating and wet. I should have got what I originally wanted: stone white & lt. pearl beige or stone white & lt. taupe. Well, too late now!

How many people have had the weatherstripping shrink on their M's and is it a recurring problem?
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Just two days ago I noticed that on my passenger side, I can see daylight between the strip and the body when the passenger door is open. Driver's side is ok. No wind gets through. I'll have to examine it further. Is this a warranty thing?
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    My dealer replaced my weatherstripping under warranty on all four doors. They said it is fairly common (they had to back order replacements). I don't know if mine shrunk, or if they were that way when I got the car and I just didn't notice it for a while. I haven't had any recurrence, but it's only been a couple of months or so.
    Hey Race, , the package is only an appearance package . No mods to any of the powertrain. Beach the door weatherstripping has a problem with shrinking on 99 and 00 cars, they have added bigger and stronger ones for the 2001 cars...................OTTO
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Go to www.car-truck.com for a few details.

Hey Otto....are you also "Brampton Mole"?
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Well, my "no star" dealer called me and fed me a pile about how they couldn't get me the car I ordered unless I paid more money. I read about this kind of cr** but didn't expect it. I told them to shove the car up their tailpipe. I'm kind of glad though...I think I can get a better deal given what I read at www.carbuyingtips.com.

Here is my question. Anyone know what the current factory to dealer and factory to consumer incentives are currently on the 2001 300M? A local ad shows a $2,000 rebate, but the Chrysler site says the rebate is $1,000. Carsdirect lists a $2,000 "incentive" (not sure if rebate of factory to dealer), edmunds doesn't list anything, and another site lists a $1,000 rebate PLUS $2,000 - $3,000 factory to dealer incentive. GOOD GRIEF!

Any insight or link to a reliable source for the information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Mike
    Whereis this shrinkage? On the door, the car? I looked everywhere on my 300M. I could not see any daylight between the door & body. I do have alot of wind noise on the outside of the car at 70mph & above. I think it's from the wind deflectors I have on the windows though.
    Here's how I spotted it on my 2000: Sitting in the driver's seat, with the front passenger door OPEN, I saw daylight between the trim strip and the upper back corner of the door frame (the top of the B pillar). That interior trim strip is connected to the weather stripping, so they both were separated away from the corner of the door frame. I then checked and saw that the trim had pulled away from the top corner of the B pillar on three of my four doors (my dealer replaced it on all four doors). Open a door and take a look at how the rubber weather strip connects to the flat plastic interior trim strip that runs all the way around the door frame (except the sill). If that interior trim strip fits tight against the door frame in all the corners, you're probably OK.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    A few questions:
    1. What might be behind the instrument cluster/gauges that would be causing an almost constant rattle on any type of road?

2. What kind of insulation is used in the 2000 model? I pulled away the carpet in the trunk and saw what looked to be black plastic filled with stuffing inside a body cavity. What else is used.

3. What kinds of changes/improvements were made to the 2001 model? Some have said that they feel quieter or smoother and that the fit and finish is better with nicer materials--they seem to be of higher quality. Are the 2001's any better than the 2000's in any way other than new features?

4. I've seen a few 2001 300M's that had the chrome razorstars from the factory. Since they are an option on the LHS, can they not be ordered on a 2001 300M from the factory?

5. I've heard that a 300M can be special ordered with the original black trim around the windows instead of the new silver anodized stuff? Is this true?

6. Finally, can a 300M be special ordered in a color other than what is normally available? Say, the Sebring coupe's satin white?

I know I already have an M, but if I decide to replace my current rattly one with a nice, new one I'd like to know these things.

I'm going to look at the weatherstripping again. I don't think I can see daylight coming through but I'm not absolutely sure. The interior trim strip that is connected to the weatherstripping is about 1/4 to 1/2 inches away from the inside corner of the b-pillar. The wide space where the strip is hanging down is very visible when in the car. I should probably get it fixed.
    Incentives are nice for us, but with so many, no wonder Chrysler is losing money. Hmmmm
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    ottowrkr-

Welcome back! I have only recently returned here also. Well, Christine is going sooner then I thought! Could be as early as next Wednesday- my birthday! LOL.... I was NOT planning on buying anything today, but.............. I did! It's NOT what I thought I was going to get either. This was totally unexpected! I have so much to do between now and next Wednesday. I have to put one last coat of Zaino on her before she goes. I think you'll be surprised. I'll take pics as soon as I get to the dealer and post them for all to see. Until then, you'll just have to wait and see what I did now! I know racefan might be happy about my choice- maybe!

fastdriver
    oh the suspense is killin me!!! i guess we deserve it after all we've put you through over the last few years. i hope this means you won't have to leave us...guess i'll just have to wait and see.

Race
  • tom_tom_ Member Posts: 25
    I am not sure what causes your rattling in the instrument panel. But try setting your steering wheel to a different height & see if it still rattles.

I have done that to mine & it seemed to work. I am assuming then the noise is coming from somewhere inside the steering wheel assembly, not the instrument panel.
    As much complaining as you've done about everything imaginable on your M, I can't believe you would even think about buying another one. How about a nice Acura?
  • frankbluefrankblue Member Posts: 4
    Hi, everyone this is my first post on this site can't wait to purchase a new 300m. I did alot of research and read all of the posts. I've decided on a drk saph. blue with sandstone or light taupe interior(I think it makes the car seem even bigger). My options list is: non php with hole in roof,luxury package, upgraded stereo, 17 inch chrome rims with matching spare, side air bags,(crashed 00 inferno red concorde into tree,and walked away with scratches).Love safety options the more the better! So far my best price is 99 dollars over invoice from a local so cal dealer.To answer sdmike2 incentive question. I too have came across the same descrepency in rebate info, but according to my five star dealer the rebate is 2000 as of march 18, 2001. Carsdirect indicates the offer will expire 4-30-01, so be sure to buy your 300m before then.
  • funroadsfunroads Member Posts: 49
    To frankblue:
    If you're not already using it... Be sure to check out the spreadheet available in "Chaper Four" at www.carbuyingtips.com. With the current rebate you should be well under invoice. (The Saphire Blue is gorgeous. It's my choice as well)

To sdmike2:
    Please publish anything further you find about rebates and incentives. I will too. And what site listed "$1,000 rebate PLUS $2,000 - $3,000 factory to dealer incentive"?
    Wow ,a few questions .Lets see if I can help you.

1-the rattle behind the I.P COULD be a loose cross-car beam screw, directly under the gauges there is a screw that goes from the steering column bracket and goes up into a metal clip attached to the plastic I.P. As the whole I.P has no real rigid structure this screw pulls down the I.P just under the gauges and stops it from vibrating. If the screw is loose or has worked loose this could be the rattle. But again its one of those things you have to take things apart to find.

2-Basically that's it,plastic bags with insulation in them. They did install some sound deadener mats around the rear wheel wells later in 2000 . They also spray expanding foam into a lot of the body cavities along the front A-post section and rocker panels. This has really made these cars quieter.

3- Sure every year the cars get better, new design improvements are implemented , parts redesigned and improved but is a 2000 better than a 2001 some say yes ,some say no change. We did not do any major changes at the plant , but we are always improving our quality on a daily basis . The more you build the better you get . Practice makes perfect , and yes I think a 2001 is better than a 2000 . A 2002 will be better than a 2001 . .

4- I remember a while back seeing some 2001 300 with the old rim ,but I think this was done because of a shortage of the new rims . At one time the factory that made the new rim was having a labour problem and could not get us enough rims to keep up with production . So I think they used some Razerstars from the LHS to make up .I do not think you are able to factory order them . But I bet some dealer would gladly change you a set from an LHS for the new style if you like the Razorstars better . Personally I love the new style much better. Bet they would look great on an LHS also.

5- I have never heard this? As far as I have seen (and I do not work on the door line) all 300 have the chrome trim . I will try to check on this Monday.But I will say no, only chrome.

6-NO only the paint colours we use in the plant are available As certain parts like front and rear fascias are painted by our suppliers outside the plant this would be a big task for just one car to be a different colour . I guess if you were going to buy a few hundred 300's and supplied the paint DC might make an exception for you .

Hope this answers your questions , I am always glad to help a 300 owner or any LH owner. A happy customer is a repeat customer . .............OTTO
    Now that would be telling ;-)................otto
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    race9fan-

I FINALLY have you in suspense! LOL... You ARE going to be surprised! I was! I had NO clue this was going to happen. It was just a weird set of circumstances that got me to this dealer in the first place. Saw the car in person and drove it. It's not 4 doors. Has DUAL exhausts and only ONE option available from the factory!

Curious? Stay tuned. Have to go outside now and give Christine ONE LAST coat of Zaino. Not sure how that's going to happen because I think it's freezing out, but the sun is shining here in So. CT!

fastdriver
  • rklassrklass Member Posts: 133
    Acura 3.2TL Type S
    good guess but thats not a 2 door car, lets keep guessing, i don't think we'll win anything but it could be fun nonetheless.

my first guess would be a GTP 2 door with moonroof. just from knowing he has a lot of GM points to redeem but i think this new car may have made him forget all about that....hmmmmm
  • lalarrylalarry Member Posts: 56
    Could it possibly be an Acura CL? I think the only available option would be the Navagation System. Anyhow, it gets my vote. And I also think Gladiator will win the Oscar for Best Picture. Let's see how right I am on both! One way to find out would be to check the posts to see where he's been nosing around...
    good guess too, you're correct only one option available from the factory and dual exhaust, but he knows how i feel about Acuras and he knows i wouldn't be happy about that...don't want to bore anyone here but Fastdriver has been here longer than any of us and we really don't want him to leave :( he's left no trails on all the boards i've checked he has never mentioned acura although he has mentioned toyota and lexus. then again he said this was totally unexpected. i'm stumped!!!

but is hanks up for his third???
    roberts for her first???
    Goto:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1280600&a=9485515

Hit show all. It's the last few at the bottom. Also have a pic of that wheelskinz cover fot the steering wheel. Sorry no 1/4 times yet for the car. I've been too busy this weekend.

Would like to thank you for all the info. I'm sure Beach15 will be alot more happy if he can get rid of his noises. I have another question.

Can the 2000 300M's computer be prgrammed to refelect some of the changes for the 2001 model. Like unlocking all doors with 1 press of the buttom, makeing the light flash/horn chip when the car is unlocked etc?????

Beach15, also have a suggestion on the dash rattle. With a flashlight, & the seat all the way back, look under the dash from the bottom. See if anything is loose. When I installed the Jet Module, I noticed there were a few trim screws that came a little loose. I did not have rattles, but I tightened these anyway.
  • jkjohnson6jkjohnson6 Member Posts: 2
    I recently attended the callas Auto show where I saw a 300m-hemmi 2dr Convertible. There were no Chrysler people around however a Dodge Salesman said that Chrysler had decided not to make this car. This Car was Beautiful! In my view it clearly was a hit for the show. Funny, a Jaguar Rep. said that it clearly out shined the their AK series Convertible.

Does Anyone have any information on the 300m 2dr Convertible?
    You can find links to the latest info on the home page of the Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club:
    http://www.300mclub.org
    Here is what I have found regarding current dealer and consumer incentives for the 2001 300M. I have NOT (unfortunately) been able to find the information on the factory-to-dealer incentive of $1,000-$3,000 again.

local chryser ads (San Diego) - $2,000 rebate
    carpoint - $1,000 rebate
    carsdirect - $2,000 "discount" (probably rebate) through 4/30
    chrysler - $1,000 rebate
    cars.com - no incentives
    edmunds - $1,000 - $2,000 rebate
    autoweb - $1,000 - $2,000 rebate through 4/30
    1stopauto.com - no incentives
    autosite.com - same as autoweb
    carclub - no incentives
    autopedia - $1,000 rebate
    carinvoices.com - $1,000 rebate

I'm tending to believe there is a $2,000 rebate, otherwise carsdirect wouldn't quote it. It's also not inconsistent with the others listed here. Just FYI, my local 5* is advertising $4,500 off MSRP on a 300M (one at this price..ahem), and a local non-star is advertising $5,000 off. When I look at the numbers, you can get a $33,500 loaded M for around $29,000 from the 5*. That car would have a dealer's invoice of about $31,000, and if you subtract the rebate of $2,000 and their $1,000 (3%) holdback their "cost" for the car appears to be around $28,000. Selling the car for $29,000 would give them a $1,000 profit...about 3.5%. This would be a fair deal for both parties, and it's what I'm shooting for.

-M
    saw your flag...what part of antarctica are you in? we might be neighbors. ;)
    The guy I got the fake HID lights on ebay is back. He has some more. Goto ebay, & search 300M, you'll find them.
    Fuzzy. Like the lights? Did you notice any brightness difference? How was installation?

-M
  • malyelmalyel Member Posts: 46
    Sdmike,
    When I bought my '01 300m I had the same problem finding out what incentives were being offered. I ended up finding 7 websites that listed the "current" incentives. Many of the same sites you checked including JDPowers.com and I think consumer reports web site. I printed out the exact URL's for the dealer incentives and printed that sheet out and took it to the dealership to back up my claim that there was a $1,000 dealer incentive being offered. Remember The dealership keeps that money if they can make you believe that there are no incentives being offered. When I gave the price I wanted the car for, the dealer was surprised at how low the offer was.($28,800 for a car $34,310 not including a factory installed mopar spoiler that was not on the invoice) I then explained how I came up with this price and the salesperson explained I was wrong about the dealer incentive. This is where I pulled out the list of 7 websites that mentioned the incentives. He was surprised by the list and he even asked if he could look at the list. I told him he could make a copy if he wanted and he did. He took my offer to the manager and they came back with their counter offer $29,000. This was still $200 more than my carbuyingtips.com 3% target price. I told him why I thought my offer was fair but decided to offer to split the difference since my target price did not include the cost of the spoiler. They agreed to split the diference and I paid $28,900.
    I also was confused by what rebate was being offered by DC so I found a 800 Rebate info phone # and called and asked them what I qualified for. At the time the DC website only mentioned a $1000 rebate but I kept on hearing there was a $2000 rebate being offered. The lady at the info # explained that I qualified for a "Northeast region rebate" I think that's what it was called. She was very nice and answered up all the rebate questions I had. I hope this info helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
  • lalarrylalarry Member Posts: 56
    How similar in color to say, the Lexus or Acura are the fake HID lights? Are they easy to install? I just don't want them to look like the phony looking ones I've seen on Integras, Civics and the like where these young kids are changing out their headlights as well as taillights for whatever look they're going for...
    the wheels- now that's what i'm talkin' bout!!! do you notice any difference in ride? which dunlaps you runnin!!! its gonna be hard to keep up with my twin bro on that one...$$$'s. they are smooth. does that roof deflector work or is it just for looks, does it stick on the paint?

Race
  • malyelmalyel Member Posts: 46
    Fuzzy, Those wheels look very nice on your car. Are those the O.Z. Antares? If not who are they made by? Are they 18x8 or 18x7? What size tire are you using with them? If anyone else is looking to upgrade their wheels here is a link to the wheels available from the Tire Rack. http://www.tirerack.com/mycar/baseframeset.jsp?model=300M&make=Chrysler&year=2001
    here they are i've been thinking about them ever since Fuzzy posted the first pic, now that they are on the car WOW!!! 245-45-18 is recommended on the 18x8 rims tires are around $250 each ouch i can get the best for $100 each on my 16" chrome medallions also known as the mini-van wheels, but that was what the php was designed with.

http://www.victoriatire.com

Mas Italy Shadow

Race

Race, the Mas Italy Shadow rims on http://www.victoraitire.com are displayed with rivets at the end of each spoke. Fuzzy's rims don't have those (see large photo at post #998). There are a lot of aftermarket rims out there that don't look all that great, IMHO, but these are classy wheels on a classy car. NICE!
  • brianw300brianw300 Member Posts: 30
    I just got my 200 M with 800 miles about 2 months ago and I noticed the shrinking trim pretty much within the first week of owning it. I think in some cases the trim comes pre-shrunk. It only took the dealer 4 weeks to get the trim in. Even though it looked bad on only two doors the service manager ordered it up for all the doors.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Lately I've been hearing creaking noises from the M, especially when sitting still--the sunroof area creaks, the right and left armrest creaks, something in the rear area creaks. I think its just expansion and contraction of the plastic pieces as its been cold around here lately. Probably something that I just have to live with. Anyone else besides Beach notice this.

Lolita goes to the doctor on Friday for her implants--new throttle body for the hiss noise, and new dash wood trim to replace her disfigured one. Also having her driver window checked for clicking noise on raising or lowering and rumbling noise from belt area on slow acceleration.
  • brianw300brianw300 Member Posts: 30
    Nice pics the 18s look great. The whole car looks great. I am thinking about the Window Vent shades. Are those from Chryseler or ar the the VentVisor brand? Also I see your splash gaurds are the same color as the car. Are those some other aftermarket or are they the Chrysler molded type painted the same color? The reason I asked is becuase the parts guys said they couldn't be painted. He said they were to rubbery. Everything looks sharp!
    Fuzzy . I do think you can change the horn and lights that go off when you activate the theft alarm. The door lock one not sure. Your best bet would be to look in the owners manual in the glove box. If any changes could be made this is the place to find it. I do know that a different body controller is used on the 2001 model ,it has four more wire harness plugs going into it. hope this helps.
    Went to Midway Chrysler Plymouth in San Diego today and looked at Ms. They have about 8 of them, including a beautiful dark green with taupe interior and a inferno red with a sandstone interior. Both are fully loaded...and I mean FULLY. Someone want to tell me why a dealer in San Diego has cars with the "cold weather group" on them? sheesh. Anyway, this dealer is working at $5,000 off MSRP on these loaded cars. If I use the spreadsheet at www.carbuyingtips.com I come up with a target price of about $30,400 (giving the dealer a $1,000 profit). With $5,000 off MSRP their price is about $29,500, which means they're either selling at cost or there is a factory-to-dealer incentive we can't dig up. I'm going to some other dealers tomorrow to see if I can get a similar deal on a less loaded car. Don't need all the stuff :) I'm also going to line up financing prior to going in to see the finance officer. Best to have options. :)

I'll keep you posted on my progress.