Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Yuk. I'm glad to say I've never experienced that problem in my M. The good news is that it's pretty easy to get to the changer unit, so the dealer shouldn't mess things up too bad. :)
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    my custom wood dash radio surround back. They had the wood grain going vertical instead of horazonal. They told me to send it back, and would send a corrected one back to me. I should have it in within a week (I hope).
    lol! Well, let's just say that the last time I took my wife to meet people that I met on-line (on the BBS) several of them were gloating about private body parts they had pierced....and this was 10 years ago. It didn't bother me much until one of the guys SHOWED everyone his piercing. I don't think I uncrossed my legs for a week. I've seen your picture. You look like a suit and tie republican compared to these other people. :)

hey, the good news I found out today is that Glenn has ordered the K&N Air Charger. I just might offer to share the cost of having a before/after smog check done to see what the emission readings are before i buy mine. Any one else want to throw a few bucks at it?

Mike
    Glenn installed a Discount Dash carbon fiber kit in his agate interior. I have to say, the fit and look are very, very nice for that interior. Because the material used by Discount Dash is synthetic (even the wood grain) they're able to round the edges for full coverage and a perfect fit.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Hey, from everyone here, I'd like to have a opinion poll on a name for our car. It's just like Christine but all black and posessed. Some days it seems like a piece of crap and other days it's perfect, you hate it one moment and love it the next! What should we call our beast?

On another note, I just don't understand this car or the person that owns it, my mother. For months at a time, she hated it. Then she liked it, then she hated it. Then, she finally thought she "got most of the bugs worked out" but then we had a bit of a crash (2 months, a entirely new back end, and $12,000). This seemed to make her mad again. Then she vowed to never drive a wrecked car and had "bad dreams" about it. We got the car back, and one after another, complaints. "It's too loud, the seats are uncomfortable, it rides and bounces like a buckboard (non-PHP), those rattles will drive me to drink, etc., etc.." The nexy day, she never said another word.

But, then the problems started again. The seat is broken and literally now just spins back and forth, the wipers don't work right, the engine was chattering bad (not the lifter tap) every morning for a week, the defroster sucks, it rattles, blah, blah, blah...

So, we take it in again. They look at it, "order parts", and we make another appointment when they say "all the parts are in". What happens, the fix nothing, other than putting on the steering columm piece and saying that they fixed a loose/cut wire or something to the wipers. As for the seat, "wrong part", and it now is like a carnival ride, a somewhat unsafe and uncomfortable one at that. "They're idiots, I'm GOING to call Chrysler." She said this five minutes after getting home, but then forgot about it. More than once a day, I remind her about calling Chrysler and always slip in the word "ARBITRATION", to which she reponds "Yeah.."

I just don't get it, she's about to kill someone when something else breaks each week, but at the same time, seems to enjoy having to take her $32,000 luxo car in all the time to be fixed? I mean sure, it's a really nice car when it wants to be, but when you have to put up with as much crap as we have, would you not be just a little mad?

Ps, I'm almost about to get my driving permit in a month and have been practicing a little in the M. Sure, it's the only car I've really driven on the street, but it does seem nice. Really smooth, great steering, easy to control, comfy, but the rattles(mainly just the one) were a but distracting. I can now see why this car is so well loved for reasons other than looks.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    beach15-

How about Christine II?? ;-))))

fastdriver
    I just saw the new 300M commercial tonight! You know, they might sell more of these cars if they did something like this more often!

A man is flying around near nighttime in his silver 300M Special. He pulls onto a dirt road and turns the HID's off. Next, you see a barn and he pulls the M in. Before long, you see the man who jumps out is Amish as he rushes to throw a blue sheet over the car and hide it, when his mother (or wife) calls him in for dinner from the house.

Maybe DC, should spend more money like this in their AD depo. They have great commercials when you actually do see one once in a blue moon. It just might help people know more about their cars.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    hey I already posted about this commercial probably 50 posts ago, no one seemed to have noticed...

Anyway - he pulls into his barn and throws a pile of hay onto the car to hide it.

I think this is finally a great commercial for 300M. They should have done it 3 years ago.
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Sure enjoyed meeting you, Mike(2), and Blonda. Well, guess what? My Aircharger was waiting for me by the door when I got home. I read through the instructions and K&N states that it will operate exactly as the stock setup. It has connections for the EGR hoses so I imagine the emissions should be the same. Of course they also say it's for "off-road" use! Go figure! Anyway, if you have a couple of hours free tomorrow let me know and you can come on over and help me install it. (sounds a bit like the Tom Sawyer and the whitewashed fence deal, doesn't it?) Seriously, if you would like to come over, please do!
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    ruski - I first saw the commercial during the Orange Bowl and nearly split a gut!! I liked the commercial too. I meant to post the day after but forgot.
    Hey, I think I'd be getting the best of the deal....experimenting on someone elses car! ;) Check your email tomorrow morning. Once I can coordinate calendars with the wifey I'll know what my day looks like beyond babysitting from 7 til 11 while she plays soccer. I'd love to come over and practice...er...help if I can. ;)
    bluebaron on Yahoo indicates that the HID Xenon lights for the special are now available at the DC parts counters for about $350 each. He says they're a 1 to 1 replacement for our existing lights with no additional hardware or connectors needed. I know many of you were interested in HIDs, and it appears that your ship has come in. :)
    I've posted the pictures of our mini San Diego get together. Thanks again to blonda, mrl859, and glennbp for coming out. Here is Big Red's page. The mini-meet pictures are down one section.

http://www.ritchiefamily.com/300m.htm

• scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Does it connect directly to the throttle body? If so, describe the piece, please.
    lol! I especially like the spray painted racing stripe, the spoiler made of 2x4s, and the NOS bottle sitting on the dash!

scotian - I know for a fact that glenn has a digital camera. Get on him to photograph that thing in-hand, during install, and when done. :)
    Man, I never get tired of looking at 300Ms. All the other cars I've thought were really nice to look at have all lost their luster over time. Not the M!
    I agree! It's funny, there was a gold M with chromies parked in front of office depot when we got there. I've seen it there before, so the person must work there. We laughed about having it towed over to where we were or making an announcement in the store..."will the owner of a gold 300M please report to your car. There are 4 people with Ms that want you to come out and play".
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    A while back you asked about this accessory. I bought one (about $52 if I remember correctly) soon after taking delivery in Dec. '98. I would highly recommend it to everyone.

Its molded to fit the shape of the truck floor, so it slides right in. It has a 2" lip all the way around it, so if some liquid spills, its contained. It has large (about 3/4" diameter) raised dimples that help keep things from sliding around and it seems to be made of a rubberized plastic because its somewhat flexible and has a fairly grippy surface.

I use my M for business travel, so I always have stuff in the trunk. I found a medium size cardboard box that just slides into the shorter portion of the trunk space immediately behind the rear seats. These boxes are sized so that they fit into the cavity behind the seats three across, so there is never any sliding around. I use one for car stuff, one for sales giveaways, and one for golf balls. These boxes stay in the trunk at all times, I just use stuff, then refill them as needed. Then I use the rest of the trunk space for variable stuff like luggage, cooler, golf clubs....still have plenty of space and nothing slides around. Try one, I think it'll solve your problem and you'll consider it money well spent.
    Just bought a Fuji 1400, it should be here on Monday. What are the best settings to keep it on for taking pictures? Also, what format, quality, etc. do you save you pictures on to get them on the web in proper size? I got a package with the camera, an extra 32MB card, a NIMH kit with batteries & recharger, a cheapo case, and a lense cleaning kit.

Thanks,
    beach
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    the tranny described in the MR2 article is nothing like the one in our M's. The MR2 has a true manual that is shifted electro-mechanically.
    So the need to lift momentarily as you would with any manual. Kinda neat actually.....very similar to the transmissions in Formula 1 cars!
    The M's tranny is just an automatic with electronics that allow semi-manual shifting. Lifting during shifts is not necessary.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    The camera has 6 settings, 640x480 and 1280x960, and Basic, Regular and Fine for each. The 1280 in fine mode takes gigantic pictures suitable for printing up to 8x10 size in near professional quality. For web site use a 640x480 setting in "regular" mode (or is it "standard") provides sufficient resolution for great website pictures. Personally, since I use my pictures for printing AND my website, I shoot in 640x480 FINE mode. I can print great pictures up to 5x7 (although 4x6 look better) and I can use them on the website. The files are between 175k and 200k in size, but they can easily be compressed down using something like paintshop pro. The camera even has some image editing tools itself, but I haven't really used them. Your best bet is to experiment. Hope this helps.
    sdmike2-

Thanks for posting the pics. They all looked great, but there was one that really stood out! ;-)) Were they all Zainoed? You should have gone in and paged the owner of the gold 300. I would have.

beach15-

We're going to see pics of Christine II? ;-)) Check your e-mail.

fastdriver
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    My 2001 M has less than 3000 miles on it & the climate control seems to work pefectly but the temp guage never gets higher than less than half way up. Is this normal?

Have Michelin MXV4plus tires. Seem to be very good. Any history on these? Wear,traction, noise etc?

My 5* has been exceptional. Right after delivery noticed an oil leak under the engine. Took it in for service and was advised that the oil cooler lines needed to be replaced & would have to be ordered. Parts came in in 48 htr. After that was advised that oil cooler in radiator was leaking. Another special order. Delivery of part another 48 hrs. In total they had my M 5 days did an excellent repair & supplied with a Dodge van at no charge. President of the dealership told me @ the time of purchase that if their were any serious service problems that they would take care of me. They did! There is a Santa Claus.
    I know that 3 of the cars were Zaino'd, and possibly all 4. We even talked about ordering a case of stuff from Sal for the SoCal meet in March. What was neat was having four very different cars there. Blonda's is a 99 agate/slate, chrome wheels, no sunroof, non-lux, bra (ok, no blonda bra jokes guys), shaved chrysler lettering on the sides and tinting. Mike's steel blue had luxury group and taupe interior, no sunroof and otherwise stock (although I think he had a K&N filter if my memory doesn't fail me). Glenn's was the most tricked out. He had aftermarket wheels and spoiler, a carbon fiber dash kit, basslink (soon to be replaced) bosch/K&N, a flowmaster custom exhaust and applied 300M, bosch and michelin lettering. You know Big Red. It was nice comparing styles and colors.

By the way, I KNOW you're partial to red which is why Big Red "stood out". ;) I paid an extra $180 for that privledge. heh.
    I have read over the install instructions and it looks like it does connect directly to the throttle body. I'll get some pics before, during, and after installation and post them as soon as I can. Once installed, I'll have a much better idea of exactly what went where and how. Stay tuned!
    Awesome! It's nice to read a happy dealer service post after all of the horror or indifference stories in here. Maybe the biggest benefit of the SD mini-meet was finding out that both mlr and glennbp know the service manager at the local 5* personally. Score! ;)

Back to your post. Which temperature gauge? The one in your overhead console? I have the same tires but only 7,000 miles. I'm not a good test of the tires yet. So far I'm very happy with them though.
    I have read over the install instructions and it looks like it does connect directly to the throttle body. I'll get some pics before, during, and after installation and post them as soon as I can. Once installed, I'll have a much better idea of exactly what went where and how. Stay tuned!
    Where did you get your air charger and how much did you pay (if you don't mind me asking). I only found those few places listed on the K&N site. My internet search didn't turn up anything else, and a couple of local speed shops I called said "we don't carry it".

Also, I need your email address so I can contact you later. YOu can send it to me at mritchie@san.rr.com, or at mike@ritchiefamily.com.
    Psst...I just ordered the first round of heavyweight 300M Club sweatshirts. Look for information in the next couple of weeks. :))

Can anyone tell I'm bored babysitting the three kids this morning? They're on auto-pilot for the most part, so it's me, my coffee, and this dumb computer.
    sdmike2-

LOL.... Sometimes this board is like having AOL IM!!

"By the way, I KNOW you're partial to red which is why Big Red "stood out". ;) I paid an extra $180 for that privledge. heh."

LOL... How'd you guess? It certainly was worth the extra $$ for my Candy Apple Red too.

fastdriver
    I got mine from Martel Bros. racing (www.martelbros.com) It only took 4 days to get here from the time I placed the order on-line. Funny thing is it was sent from K&N in Riverside CA right around the corner. Martel is in Katy TX.
    Think we could roadtrip to riverside and work a deal for the club? Sometimes I wish our club had 5000 members. ;)
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Liked the pictures of the meet, loved the Inferno Red, next time you see another M that you want to comandeer, let me know and I will lend you my badge (I don't need no stinkin badge!!)

Where's the snow????? I have not been out to my garage to even look at my car since we got back to this blizzard. Temp is hovering around -10 degrees Faranheit and so far we have had 3 fatals due to road conditions with a couple clinging. It's not fun, but snow has quit for now and they are forcasting a Chinook by mid week. For any of you who do not know what a Chinook wind is. It is warm air crossing the Rockies from the Pacific which can drive the temp up 20-30 degrees in just minutes, but sure makes for sloppy streets, and dirty cars.
    That's it! We can drive around with a fleet of tow trucks and you can have every M you see impounded...to a big parking where we'll have beer and snacks. ;)
  • achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    Put a set of so-called xenon bulbs from midnightmoose on about four months ago. Yesterday the right low beam went out. Anyone with any experience with these bulbs? I like the bright white light, but going to the hassle involved in changing M headlights every 4 months isn't for me. Are the bulbs that short-lived or did this one get touched or something? Any ideas?
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I like it!!! Name the time and place, do you want me to bring a fleet of towtrucks? I do believe that Buster Towing who has the city contract, is sick of this weather too and I can get my old crew from when I was the Sgt. Supervisor of the Alberta Alcohol Check Stop detail and we can tow a decent car for a change. No offence to the other owners of other brands!!!! LOL
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    For the sake of clarification, I do have the moonroof. The car has every accessory except block heater.
    Did the yahoo site list the part numbers for the HID's?
    sorry! didn' mean to slight you on the options. I coudn't remember so I consulted the pictures, which apparently are deceiving. :) The Yahoo site didn't list the part numbers. The person that posted said that it should take the dealer's parts guy only a couple of seconds to look it up so he didn't provide them.
    I just ordered an Aircharger. If it's something you guys are interested in let me know and I'll add yours to the order to save on shipping charges. Also, Mike, where did you get your M? I saw one just like yours at Poway when I was shopping for mine and I didn't get it because it didn't have PHG. I'm happy I ended up with Big Red, but I really like that steel blue and taupe! Unfortunately I DO have the engine block heater. Heaven only knows why a car in San Diego was equipped with one, but it's there....somewhere. Anyone know where this is? Does it come off? Anyone need one? lol
    sdmike2-

LOL...block heater! If you're facing the engine with the hood open, it should be on your left. You'll see the plug. Don't think you can take it off and put it on Ebay! ;-))

fastdriver
  • silverbeesilverbee Member Posts: 22
    Hey nice cars.I still think it is a sin to have a car look that good in winter!!(lol!Anyone have a picture or camera to show what a salt laden vehicle looks like in winter??Just ain't fair!!
    Hey doctor,
    nice talking to you hope that phone bill don't shock you(ha)
    WI BOB
    Well, I just finished installing the aircharger. Took about an hour and all went to place nicely. The one hose clamp that connects the rear molded tract to the throttle body is the only difficult access point. I took pics and will try and get them posted this evening. Looks cool, but I don't know if there is any HP increase as of yet. Time will tell. SDMike, where are you?
    I had a set of Eaglight bulbs from midnightmoose. One burned out prematurely a little while ago so I put the OEMs back in. The "bright white light" is not -- it is blue light, which I'm not partial to, and I think the OEMs illuminate better. If they had 1/3 of the blue on the bulbs, they would have been much better. I still have the Eaglights in my hi-beams, though.
    Uh...at home? I was hoping you'd send me your email address or something so I could contact you and see when you were going to work on it. Your profile doesn't show an email address.
    If I can't take it off I guess I can use it when the temperature drops way down into the 40s! ;) Oh, I went and saw Glenn's new aircharger this afternoon. Nice! I can't believe how much stock junk came out and is now sitting in his garage. I wonder why DC didn't do this in the first place.
    Did you try to work out an discount for 300M club members????? :) They could just throw it out of the plane (I would catch it) to save me shipping charges, LOL. I may be able to install this in addition to the air duct comming from my hood scoop. the I don't know what running two cone filters in series would do though.
    I posted some comparesons between the Xenon, and the Halagen bulbs using a 300M headlamp that I have. I also tested it using a Intrepid, LHS, and an Concorde (don't ask how I came to have all these types of headlamps laying around). I agree with scotian, The standard halagen's give a better (wider dispersal pattern) light then the so called xenon bulbs. By the way all you LHS (projector lamps) owners the pattern is even worse for you, because the projector lamps give a very central hot spot to begin with. The only way they are better is if you drive I5 or I10 on California's (stright) Interstates.
    I've uploaded the installation pics. You can see them at

http://communities.msn.com/Glenns300M/
    There are 2 pages of pics so don't miss any!