Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I'm sure I could use the Aircharger's 3" tube with Franken-Intake, although I don't think the few transitions between 3" i.d. nitrile tube and almost 3" i.d. aluminum tube makes any noticeable difference (the aluminum tubes I now use are very thin-walled), and I have other things to spend $230 on.

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/air_intake/plumbing_plenum_tb_bend/ns-40.html

The oily residue that exits the engine breather tube must go directly into the engine. On the stock setup, and on my current setup, the oil collects in the bottom of the plenum. In my setup, there is only a small hole for engine gasses to enter the airstream, on the stock plenum, these gasses intermix a lot.

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/air_intake/plumbing_plenum_tb_bend/ns-7.html

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/air_intake/plumbing_3_5_elbow/ns-15.html

I still feel that it is essential to get as much cold air into the engine as possible, especially in summer, and the Aircharger's partition is far from airtight, but definitely worth getting for those with a stock system.

• alta_300malta_300m Member Posts: 54
    Your Air bag stickers overlays look good. The factory installed "Canadian" Air bag stickers must be larger than the "American" ones as I think the sticker you have used would not be big enough to cover mine. Maybe ottowrkr can comment on this.

I borrowed your truetype '300m' font in case I have to get some custom made.

I do like your choice in radar detectors the Bel 980 is a fantastic unit. I have a Bel 936 and it is mounted using the windshield bracket immediately to the right of the rear view mirror. I have the powercord running into the overhead console. Only approx 1 inch of power cord is visable and you can hardly even see the detector from the outside as it blends into the sun strip at the top of the windshield.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I may use a little insulating foam to fill the gap between the aircharge tube and the heat shield. It's not big (average under 1/2 inch) but since it's now sucking through both the wheel well vents AND the stock intake hole the system can draw plenty of air without resorting to sucking warm air from the engine bay. I did some measurements and it appears that the hood provides a good seal at the top of the unit, thus completing the airbox.
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    The visor air bag stickers on my '00 U.S. M are 2.5 inches X 5 inches.
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Seems to me like it would be pretty hard to measure to confirm the seal between hood and airbox. Here's an idea: run a bead of toothpaste along the top rubber of the airbox, close hood, then open and inspect hood for toothpaste. Your son would probably get a kick out of doing this for you! Both of my kids fractured a forearm when young - around kindergarten age. Seems to be pretty common, and both healed quickly with no problems.
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Has anyone removed the 300M badge off their trunk? Is there a screw or post holding it on? I don't want to rip it off and find a hole in my trunk!
    SDMike-Sorry to hear about the broken wing. The good news is it will be a badge of honor very shortly!
  • 300mike300mike Member Posts: 20
    To sdmike :
    You can put a link from your website to my background, but I would suggest just adding the picture to your server instead. Who knows how long I'll leave it up there. Maybe forever but then again, maybe only a few months. I don't want you to miss out on it.

To everyone:
    Does anyone know where in western Pennsylvania (near Pittsburgh) I can get the dual exhaust added to my M? Do normal shops like Midas do these types of things or do I have to find a custom place? Anyone here near Pittsburgh that can make a shop recommendation? Thanks
    I know that Roger (Rogor) had a Midas shop install his. He bought the mufflers, tips and mandrel bent tubing and took it in to them in a box. You might want ask him about it.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    A Midas shop did mine too. I gave them the parts and they welded it together for me.
    OK, which one of you is trying to get rid of their filter on E-bay???? It seems every time a new system comes out, there is a rash of sell offs.
    Hmmm....that one looks vaguely familiar...
    Thanks sdmike and 300michael,

300michael, where did you get the parts and how much were they? Also, did you have to give Midas instructions on how to do it or can they figure it out for themselves? Did instructions come with the exhaust kit?
    First, I would go in and show them a diagram of what you want and make sure they're comfortable doing it (and get a price). Find someone you trust. A lot of these places will hire raw kids to put mufflers on, but I would suggest someone with some years under their belt. If you're buying the parts and designing the system yourself there will be no instructions. However, these guys do dozens of exhausts per week and shouldn't be stumped. Just make sure you give them specific information on the construction (e.g. use the stock intermediate pipe, how far you want the tips to stick out, if you want them staggered to the shape of the bumper, if you want stainless pipes wherever possible, etc.). Also tell them what you want done with the stock stuff (otherwise they'll throw it away). Make sure that they're either comfortable cutting the hole in the other side of the bumper (unless you use Borla's design) or give it to them already done.
    Thanks Mike,

Does anyone have a photo of the Borla's exhaust system on their M? What does it look like without the right side hole cut out? Seems like it would look strange. Is it hard to cut the hole out? Does it have to be painted? Sorry to ask so many questions but I'd like to get this done and I want to do my homework first :)
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    Doesn't seem that the rest of the group is too interested in covering the air bag stickers except you and me. The guy that makes them has e-mailed me twice today.( one attached )and I will forward the dimensions to him and see what the price is.
    Mike ,
    I can make them in other sizes, Can you send me the dimensions of
    the other labels that you would like to cover.

Thanks,
    Ira]
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    I would love to cover those ugly stickers too!
    Big government run amok AGAIN!
    Let's come up with an attractive 300M sticker to cover them.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    C'mon, Mike, Big Red will have a birthday before you make up your mind!

My luxury Group kit has been installed for a year, and I am well pleased:

http://www.woodtrim.com/catalog_detail.cfm?prod=3860

Besides, if you are not happy with the match, return it to Joshua Tree, they are in San Diego!
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Im in too !
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    PATRIOTS RULE !!
    Count me in too. If they come with something nice, I would love to cover them.
    Go to www.so-calspeedshop.com for pictures of the 300m with the borla system. Their site is down for repairs now.
    If the stickers are nice and not too expensive I'm in.

Congrats all you Patriot fans. Too bad I missed the game. I'll have to turn in my testicles to the "guy governing board" tomorrow.
    I had my muffler guy cut the hole out of the rear bumper because he told me "oh, no problem. I'll do it for you"...and then I noticed he had done the same thing to his PT Cruiser. The bumper is molded plastic in your car's color so there is no painting. Depending on how confident you are in your ability to cut a clean line you may consider using door trim around the edge like I did. It will hid any jagged edges or little "oops" that might occur along the way. Here are some pictures:

Exhaust Diagram ("Hugo Design"): http://www.ritchiefamily.com/misc/exhaust_diagram.jpg

Passenger Cutout Trim: http://www.ritchiefamily.com/misc/pass_tips.jpg

Another: http://www.ritchiefamily.com/misc/pass_tips2.jpg

Showing the tip stagger: http://www.ritchiefamily.com/misc/stagger.jpg

Good idea! I'd use it if I wasn't adverse to putting foreign gunk into my car. lol! I used a level and I think I got a good idea. Thanks though. :)
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Toothpaste -- I used that trick on Franken-Intake.

Borla -- Why would not having the right hole cut out look strange? That's what non-Special M's look like already.

Aircharger -- I would seal as much as possible to keep out hot engine air. It won't "resort" to sucking in air around the openings, it will take air from areas in order of least resistance, which would probably be from the bottom (battery) first, and next probably split evenly between hot engine air from around the edges and cold air from the fender.

Superbowl -- Was that held today?
    Great news - the guy seems very interested and willing to work with us. I measured the air bag stickers on my 2001 CAN 'M' and they are actually 2 3/8" X 4 3/4" with rounded corners.

denverm in a previous post mention his were 2.5 inches X 5 inches on his 2000 US 'M', but I think he was refering to the sticker that he used to cover his up.

Probably the Visor Plagues should be at least 1/8" or 1/4" bigger than the actual 'Air Bag Sticker', but the guy from KG should know what works best. If he charges us the same $16 US plus shipping for ours I would be very happy to pay it. I wonder if he would consider making a custom one (300M badge). At this time I would take anything as the more I think about it the more it bugs me.

A few more people have posted saying they would be interested in purchasing Visor Plagues, so I will leave the ball in your court to followup with him.

Great work!
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Red white and blue are the colors of the Champions! Big Parades and parties in Boston Tuesday. I hear it may be declared a state holiday. The underdog became TOP DOG today! Congrats Pats!
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Visor sticker--On my wife's 96 Aurora, this sticker peeled off with a little careful persistence and some good fingernails. But on looking at the one on the 99M, it looks like it is actually molded into the fabric, if that is possible. I thought about spray painting it with a primer color which would match the grey, or putting some dark window tint material on it to hide the ugliness. I finally put a CD holder over the passenger side visor and just sucked it up on the driver side. But, over on the Lexus site which I was perusing last week after seeing that little sports model on CSI the other night, they were also talking about getting the stickers off the visors. [There weren't a lot of posts there so someone could still find the discussion pretty easily.] Anyway, someone recommended a product but I can't recall the exact name, and they claim it worked and didn't ruin the fabric. I think they got it at Home Depot or one of the hardware stores, and I think it ended in "Goof" or something like that [not "goop"] but am not sure. I am really reluctant to try anything that is a solvent type product on a surface with a cloth backing, but if guys with $65K Lexus' are trying it, there may be something to it. One guy said it dissolved the label very well and did not stain the visor material.

Hemi C pictures. Really gorgeous. Note the wheels on the Hemi C. They have the medallions that many of us have put on the M wheels. What a great car and what a disaster if they don't produce it. I am afraid the underpowered Crossfire [down from 275 hp to 215 hp for the production model] will be DOA, and will scare them off on production of the Hemi C. We've got to buttonhole Deiter and /or Tom Marinnelli at the Dream Cruise this year and set em straight.

300Michael. Thanks for the info on the fasteners. As fate would have it, on my M the area of the insualtion around one of the fasteners down where the spray lines are on the driver side had rotted away from the fastener [so much for my checking under the hood a lot] so I practiced removing the fastener, using a wide flat head screwdriver [no leverage there tho] and then some needlenose pliers. I could get it out a little way with the screwdriver, and then when the little sucker wouldn't budge, I finally noticed the little prongs on the stem. Once I pinched them togerther with the pliers the fastener came right out. This was the type of fastener that looks like a four-leaf clover on top. I notice also that there was another type on other areas of the insulator that was a solid circle, with no leafs, so I am not sure if the stem and prongs will be the same on that, but I hope they will be. I may just try to get a bunch from the dealer's parts department once the insulator arrives. On the shifter, I have located the hex screw on the front of the post, and will wait for the shifter to arrive before I dick around with it. I've got to see if I got a hex wrench to fit it, I think I do.

Well, and finally, after 42 years of watching, I can no longer call them the "Patsies." In a stunning reversal of form, they actually showed some grit and won the Super Bowl when the chips were down. If Bledsoe goes, I would like to see Flutie as the back-up. It is time for Brees in SD, so Flutie would be good back in NE.
    I went back over the Lexus site and the product was called "Goof Off" that supposedly can take such labels off. Comes in a spray can.
    Hi Mike-Well I finally broke out the hair dryer and the dental tape and removed all the "Chrysler" letters. No problem at all. They literally went flying off. A little Goo Gone and some elbow grease took care of the rest. Have you tried to remove your trunk badge? I tried but ran into a large washer or something about half way down. I suppose I could pull the trunk liner off and see if it's bolted on but I figure someone must have done this already. I forgot if yours is on or not.
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Morning, guys..check your respective email accounts...have emailed jpg file with image of 'sticker' that measures 2 1/2 inches x 5 inches (the black rounded area measures 2 1/2 by 5--I put a white rectangle BEHIND the rounded-corner rectangle to give some room to the image). Contains 300m number and m, and the CHRYSLER letters. I had created a 'rubbing' of the Chrysler letters a while ago, then scanned and converted CHRYSLER letters to an Adobe Illustrator file--cleaned THAT image up, and wa-la: Chrylser letters-sort of. I don't have a good enough image of the 'wings', else I'd scan and convert that, but maybe its not needed?
    Can also make corel file available so people can add their own names, or even leave a gray rectangle below the 300m so people can drop their own names into it....whaddaya think?

Doc

Greetings from frosty Noo Yawk,
    Doc
    sent YOU one with area with your name on it......lets see what people think...

Doc
    The good Dr. Pixel developed these sticker prototypes this morning and suggests that we can print them outselves on adhesive paper. Great idea! Thanks Doc...especially for the personalized one! I'm going to get some different kinds of paper today and test printing and sticking. I'll let you know my results.

http://www.ritchiefamily.com/misc/visorsticker.jpg

http://www.ritchiefamily.com/misc/visorsticker2.jpg

• arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    Hi, will you consider doing a "Special"Visor Sticker emblem? Here's a pic of the emblem :

http://i4.yimg.com/4/d1f356d0/g/0/1dbb08f.jpg

Arby,

Does the visor sticker have to include the image of you taking a photo in the background :)
    I get a message that the page isn't accessible from external hosts.
    As I was the orginator of this whole airbag sticker discussion and having done a lot of research into the problem, for the time being I suggest nobody try using 'goof off' or 'goo gone' to try and remove the stickers. Yes other people have managed to take them off their visors, but they also have had VINYL visors and not FABRIC visors as found on the 300m.

Here is a link to instructions for a BMW, note they have vinyl visors!

http://www.bmw330ci.com/DIY_Visors.htm

uxca300m and I are exploring possible getting a Graphics design company that manufactures LASER ETCHED visor plagues for PT Cruisers to custom make some for the 300M. These are not stickers they are hard PLAGUES.

Here is the link as to what they look like.

http://www.ptwarehouse.com/index1.htm Select accesories and then interior.

Great graphics drpixel love the designs, is it easy to switch the colors around (black on silver). The black on silver would go better with the color of the visors and I believe you are limited with what can be done during the laser etching process.

Personaly I would prefer a Plague versus another Sticker and think it would be a little more classy. What do you guys think?

I would like to have hard plaques v. the stickers as well so long as their not too expensive.
  • arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    here's a better link to the Special Badge, and no, you don't pay extra for the image of me snapping the picture in the reflection ;^)

http://server3002.freeyellow.com/colonymotel/300%20badge.jpg

Plus a pic of my baby:

http://server3002.freeyellow.com/colonymotel/300Mext1.jpg

Here is a link to some more pictures of what the Laser Etched Plagues look like installed.

http://www.ptdoityourself.net/ptwvplaqueguide.html

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,722
    NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 20
    ST. LOUIS RAMS 17

YES!!!!

Yeah, I missed the game so that I could watch a very special, "Touched by an Angel." NOT!!!
    Yee Haa!

Did anyone notice the look on Tom Brady's face when he saw that unbelievable monstrosity the Cadillac Escalade EXT! Brady said he'd keep driving his old Dodge Ram...!

On to the Red Sox...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    The dealer tells me the belts on my Good Year Eagle LS's are bad. Thinking of going to the MXV4 Energy Plus.
    Count me in on the plaques like the ones on the PT site if anyone can get the company to make them. I really like the wings emblem and would even go with a 300M one if available. Hope this can come to fruition.
    The dealer tells me the belts on my Good Year Eagle LS's are bad. Thinking of going to the MXV4 Energy Plus.
    My 2001 PHG came with Michelin Pilot MXM4, so far I think they are great. I have had no concerns yet, they handle the winter conditions very well and boy do we have bad winter driving conditions in Alberta, Canada!

I am not sure but I think the MXV4 Energy Plus are an even better tire than the MXM4 Pilot's I have. If you don't mind could you check this out for me and post the approx price difference as one day I know I will have to replace mine.
    Shucks, thanks for the responses to my borderline-creative attempt, guys. Arby, I looked everywhere for the font that Chrysler used for the lettering/numbers, but alas and alack...no font could be found, so...
    I did a 'rubbing' of both the 300 and the CHRYSLER lettering thats on (some) the side of the car. Thunder-scanned the rubbings and converted to Adobe Illustrator files and then cleaned up. I have the 300, the 'm', and the shield as separate files and could create a 'Special' logo, but it will take some time-a commodity I have little of these days. I only used black as a background because someone here mentioned it, but yes I can switch things around, but you'd loose the simulated '3D' effect. The 300m and the Chrysler letters are actually made up of 3 separate blocks of text: a lower dark gray, a middle white and the uppermost block is the simulated chrome.
    Perhaps a medium to light shade of gray would be better? To try and match the actual color of a particular 300m would not be easy, so I leave this decision in (all) your hands. As far as getting this laser-etched, you'd wind up with the text in black on a brushed chrome/metal PLAQUE. I don't think those things come chea..err, reasonable...
    The suggestion to be able to print these out ourselves was just a suggestion, but Brent/denverm sent me two for my eMily and I think they'd hold up fairly well. You could always 'laminate' them with that wide clear tape that used to seal boxes with--just a suggestion.
    what kind of software to you have on your pc--would need something able to read Adobe Illustrator files--even better would be CorelDraw. I think you all (y'all) mean plaques--not plagues, right?
    borderline creative Doc
    If you could shoot a picture 'straight on' at the logo, it would be a little easier woiking my magic. Also, to avoid a reflection of yourself, if you had a piece of dark cloth, you could cut a hole in it big enough for the camera lens and shoot the pic that way--just a suggestion.

Doc, again..
    MXM4 on the PHP cars? I thought all 300M got MXV4 Energy with the PHP cars getting speed rated versions. I looked at Tirerack for the MXM4 but they dont appear to be an allseason tread. MXV4 Energy are less expensive. How are the MXM4s in rain and snow??
  • jj300mjj300m Member Posts: 24
    My non-PHP 300M came with the Goodyears; I retired those last week after 25,000 miles and replaced them with Continental ContiTouring Contact CH95 tires from the tirerack.com for $81 each. My first impression was how much smoother the steering was at speed--but the most dramatic difference has been reduced noise at highway speeds. The car has "new-car" ride and handling again-- no wobble, vibration, or shimmy. My $0.02.