Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• taffy2taffy2 Member Posts: 7
    yes guys we are being discussed in the Intrepid forum.It seems the search for covers for the yellow safety stickers on the visors amuses them,and Mr Emale in particular seems to think we're zaino ceazy.
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    It just goes to show we are way cooler than them and care more for our cars. Can anyone say "jealous"? I knew that you could!
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Ordered the silver sticker covers for the ugly visor label since I just got the chrome shift handle, which I will try to put on this weekend. Figured since I had chrome in the cabin I should stay with silver instead of black.

Also ordered some hood insulator retainers from Wyckoff to use when I replace the insulator that rotted from windshield fluid leaking. Tried my local 4* but 1) they said they didn't have any; and 2) they would cost $2.59 each and they come in a packet of 14. [Only need 10] Wyckoff had them for $1.60 each. Almost a buck a piece ripoff by my local parts dealer. Give me a break. That is why I never buy from them unless its an emergency. Their mark-up must be incredible if this is an example, and of course we all know that Wyckoff is still making a profit on what they sell.

Car goes in on Tuesday for the intermittent non-functioning window repair on the driver side. It was sticking once a week now that I have to open it every day to show ID to get on base, and I got sick of it. My warranty plan is picking it up, but I kinda wish I'd done it on the factory warranty since it has occurred every so often while still in warranty. Once I mentioned the TSB the service/parts manager was all over it, and is changing out the motor and some other part that DC recommended. My advice, in hindsight, if a window sticks go to the dealer while under warranty and cite the TSB. It doesn't have to replicate for him because the TSB even says it is an intermittent problem.

Have a good weekend all M'ers.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    My wife gave the blessing for me to go play on the 18th. I think the fact that I told her that I would pick up her parents from the airport as part of the plan made it ok. :) You guys figure out when you want to go. I'm thinking around 3 or 3:30 so I can do the show and have some dinner before 8:30. Blonda and mrl859...wanna join us?
  • psterpster Member Posts: 293
    I haven't posted in some time but thought I would update all on what I now believe to be a more or less "permanent defect" in the 300M (at least the 1999 first edition). I have 40,000 miles and reported last Dec on the creaking noise being made by my driver's side window as it seats itself into the window frame. This is not a case of hardened window gasket rubber, although the service manager tried to pull that one on me. As it was a year and half ago, it was yet another faulty regulator (second one for this window). I noticed the regulators are even being sold on E-bay now! I argued till I was blue that this should be a silent warranty item. I still like the car very, very much but was not at all happy with Chrysler sticking us with this "known problem". Now if I can just get all the [non-permissible content removed] off the window from their attempts to lubricate the window seals.........
    The rear driver's door of my '01 also rattles. I noticed that when under motor load (window motor) it stops. I can also get it to stop if I crack the window just right. My guess is that it's either the regulator or something in the window motor assembly that loosens and rattles when relaxed. That and the infamous moving seat are my only complaints.
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    Re:We're being dissed in the Dodge Intrepid discussion! :-)
    That's cause they have a great big green envy color on their faces:_)
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Last night the wife called me on her mobile. She reported that "the instrument lights were flashing on and off and should she stop the car?"
    I started laughing and told her about the "light show" some of you have experienced, cured I believe by replacing the body control module. I had her run the brightness control up and down and the problem went away. Needless to say, the problem has not returned while I have been in the car. It was a good thing I read about those similar problems on this board, or I would have thought she was losing it. ;>)

Only 5 more days till we leave for the Olympics! Getting excited here.

Silver
    Wow! That's a once in a lifetime experience. Have a great time, expect long security lines, and be careful. Don't put Livasnaps or kibble in your luggage. Don't want to get the bomb sniffing dogs excited. :)
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    ruski-

GS-A tires? Are you sure? I could have sworn that mine were LS.

12,300+ miles since 3/28/01. I don't have a 30 mile commute to work. More like 3 miles! ;-))

I did like those pics of the GP. 280HP?? Could be using those GM credit card points next time around. :-))

The only thing I miss about Christine are the looks and the color for sure. I have sdmike's pics to look at. His looks great with that dual exhaust and trimmed lettering. I NEVER get tired of looking at his pics.

fastdriver
    3 sounds fine; we can caravan it down there or we can meet at the Hemi C display. I'll be the guy drooling uncontrollably all over the paint!
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    Wooo! These guys are testy. Below are a couple of there posts that I copied

"well, you'd think "zaino" was the name of some superstar if you spent too much time in the 300m topic...! "

From Uxca-And his point is? I guess if he wants to use Turtle wax or some other polish that is fine with me and I guess it will shine up his Intrepid. If he wants to get the real none wax lasting shine then check up on Zaino like the rest of us did and look at the photo's available.

And another.

There has been quite a lot of talk on the 300M board about plaques that go over the airbag information labels on the
    sun visors. Some company makes "Chrysler" plaques that cover these bright orange labels over. Has anyone seen
    them for either "Dodge" or "Intrepid"? It is not that big a deal, although to read the 300M board, you would think this has become a cause celeb.

From Uxca- This guy wants them then gives us doo-doo talk for us wanting them! Duuuh!

From Uxca- I think I'll log on to their board and say that there is a kit that will make the Intrepid
    rear end look like a 300M for $500.00. Wonder how many queries I'd get :)

Just kidding. The Intrepid group are as dedicated to there cars as we are but it does seem that some of them seem to vent their anger a little more than us "sedate" 300M users do.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via the Talk to the Press discussion or at jfallon@edmunds.com with your thoughts and contact information.

Thanks as always,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director, Edmunds.com
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    My '99 just turned 40K yesterday. I had the window creaking on the passenger front for about a year and a half (it was actually there when I bought it, but wasn't annoying enough to take it in). It seemed sometimes that when the car sat for awhile (like during the day at work) it would creak horribly when I would open the window. After the first creak it wouldn't do it again until it sat for several hours again. But not always. Last October before I hit the 36K mark I took it to the dealer to get some minor stuff fixed/checked, etc. and wouldn't you know...it didn't creak when I had it there and hasn't done it since. It seems to have gone away on it's own. Windows otherwise work great. I had to replace one window regulator (during my 36K visit) on the drivers side because the auto window down function would only work intermittently.
    Any progress on getting that faulty window trim fixed?
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I will be changing my Turn/Marker lights to LEDs. It will be a race to get them done before the Meet, do to 4 week shipping UGGG! The plan is for a 4" bar and use the current lights for corning lights. I will be testing to see if the current lights can handle a H3 halagen bulb without adverse circumstances(fingers crossed).
    Your side marker lights, or your turn signals?
    Are just like us except not as crazy about there cars. After all we put down an extra 4 grand for our cars, so we want them to have that Zanioed Look. Lurkers and Intrepid owner don't knock it until you tried it.
    The front corner Side marker turn lights (under the Headlamps above the Fog lamps)
    The Carlsbad meet would be a good place to not only discuss mods but possibly make minor ones as well! It would take about 45 minutes to install an Aircharger, about 30 seconds to install a K&N filter, 15 minutes for a custom clock face, and about 45 minutes to remove the chrysler lettering (although the dealer might run out and whack us!). Sooooo...if you plan to attend the event and there is some modification that you want assistance with, contact me and we'll see if we have a resident expert that can provide some help!

Heck, the KOM (King of Mods) will be there, so maybe 300michael can help you install a fridge in your trunk! ;)

Mike
    Ooooohhhh, that was cold. (you get it) Pun intended.
    Are you going to have a sign up board. May be we could use the shop bays. Hope, hope.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    went to get my speakers replaced today.

Results--buzzing is even worse on heavy bass beats---I think its probably the mounting of the speakers or door panel-grill vibrating---

I also mentioned AGAIN that my right window switch is black and all other switches on the car are chrome--I mentioned that others on this board and a plant worker stated that it should be chrome ---they finally agreed and ordered the switch---on my last visit they stated that they ALL are like that

I just dropped them another notch and they are now a negative 3* dealer--

the only good thing I have to say is that I got to abuse another Cheep Cherokee that they supply as a courtesy---

I almost tipped it over on a sharp curve that was very sandy---almost lost control of the Cheep--the M never would have had trouble on that curve--

At least they washed the M for me--it had major salt accumulation and was way overdue---

I'm sure they again will forget to send me a rating card as they know how I would respond.

Love the car--hate the service

Easyrider300M
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I am currently watching the Olympics live on CBC, and you people are in for a treat, it is fantastic, so get your popcorn out and ENJOY! I can't understand why you have to watch a tape delay in the US. Yes I love my M, to keep the watching eyes happy, I also saw my twin this afternoon a 01 Inferno Red with a beautiful blonde driving it. I pulled up along side and gave her that look, not sure her boyfriend or husband was impressed, but what the heck!!!!!!
    No on the shop. The service and parts departments are closed, and I can guarantee you they wouldn't let you or I muck around in there. In fact, they probably lock the sales manager out too! lol.
    US TV is 100% about ad revenue. I've seen sports scores on the Internet before the game aired because they want to put in on at a "better time". Well, IMO, the right time is LIVE time. I guess since NBC paid a quadrillion dollars for the right to broadcast the olympics they need to broadcast it when the most eyes are awake and glued to the TV.

I tell you though, I really loved it when the "major" station showed the taped highlights of the Norway olympics at prime time, but another cable TV showed them live in the middle of the night. Being a night owl I was in heaven.
    I know what you mean, they just finished the parade of nations and it was terrific and now the half time show, with people like Sting etc. I will not spoil your view by posting who is the official torch bearer, some things are sacred. Please watch it everyone, it is teriffic. It was great here in Calgary in 88, lots of good memories. ENJOY everyone.By the way, our broadcast is commercial free, you can't beat that.
    The thing that really chaps my hide about how the "major" stations here handle the olympics is that out of every hour there is about 15 minutes of sport, 15 minutes of commercials, 15 minutes of interviews and studio "talking heads", and 15 minutes of deep and compelling (yawn) special interest stories. My G*D, if I wanted to watch the biography channel I'd subscribe to it!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    My Riv definitely had GS-A tires. Mine was '96 Supercharged. Yours was '96 too, right?
    Sounds like a scene out of American Grafitti when Richard Dryfuss spies Susanne Sommers in that white T-bird. You sure you weren't in San Diego? I have your twin M, my wife is blonde, and I would have given your a dirty look if YOU would have given my wife "the look" driving my car. lol

Oh..interesting here. It's 10pm and they just started the "halftime ceremony" as you called it at the olympic opening ceremony. The whole indian tribe thing. We're obviously hours behind when you saw it, but on the screen it says (prominently, I might add) "LIVE". Sheesh.

Mike
    How'd the tint turn out for ya? Was the owner's wife working the counter? You'll know it if the answer was yes. :)

3 sounds good for the show. I'm sure I'll see you before then, but if by chance I don't, I'll leave my house around 3 and meet you at your place. You're actually on the way for me. :)
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Gack!
  • achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    Just another joy of living on the Left Coast, I guess. The ability to suspend credulity is a survival skill.
    You coming down for the meet and to visit your kin at college?
    Found this after someone on the Yahoo board mentioned it. AEM makes cold air intake systems for various cars (only chrysler is the '01 sebring V6)...mostly ricers...but they have in interesting valve that prevents large amounts of water getting into the intake. There was a recall in the item but that was back in the summer of '01 so they must have redesigned the Air Bypass Valve. Anyone know if this would fit the Aircharger, Franken-intake or other systems? Seems that if I was to cut the intake tube and installed this in-line it might have the same effect in the Aircharger. I'm also not sure if it prevents small amounts of water from entering the system, or just does the pressure-sensitive shut-down in the event your filter is submerged.

http://www.aempower.com/induction.htm

Oh..fastdriver..they make a system for the CL-S. :)

• achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    I'd like to, but I have a hearing I haven't figured out how to get out of. If I can justify abusing one of my subordinates by giving them some more work, I'll come down. I could use some WARM; sick of cold and dark!
    We, the members of the Edmunds 300M Board and/or the 300M Enthusiasts Club, hereby authorize you to abuse your subordinates. There...that help? lol
    The tint looks great! I don't think the cops should get upset. I chose dark (20% light trans) on the rear 3 windows and medium (30% light trans) on the front side windows. Then I did 10% on the windhield. Just kidding; wanted to see if you were paying attention! LOL No, there wasn't a female in sight at Tint Devil, but from your "tongue-in-cheek" comment, I'm sorry I missed her. I did see the silver Mercedes though. Someone has got a lot of $ in that! The autoshow at 3 is a no-no. Something else has come up that day. Would you consider Saturday or Sunday? Let me know.
    Put a small can attached to the bottom of the intake pipe. Put a hole in the bottom of the tube so that any water will flow down into the can. You can put a flapper valve or some filter medium in the bottom of the can so that water can escape. Or purchase one of those little breather filters.
    Live simply means that the taping was done using live people. LOL.
    The Autotint that did mine 3 years ago was a husban and wife team. They did excellent work. They have been doing it for the last 12 years.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sdmike2-

Wish I was closer because I'd come to the meet just to see a group of Z'd 300M's! Maybe someone will have one in CT some day.

"Oh..fastdriver..they make a system for the CL-S. :)"

Nah.....my intake tubes are fine! My CL-S is fast enough for me with a nice "roar" from those duals when I step on it. Thanks anyway. ;-))

fastdriver

PS How's the "one-armed bandit" doing?
    So that was your wife I saw was it? Please tell her the M will move if you step on it, and also you did not look too pleased slumped down in the passengers seat, and please put on your seatbelt, it is the law and does save lives. LOL I did watch part of the Olympics on NBC and also noted that it said "live". Does not say much about the credibiity of NBC. We are having live broadcasts of the 15 KM womans cross country and an Italian woman won and were they fast The womans moguls are on now, we are lucky because CBC is very good about doing it live rather than tape delay, especially things like hockey and speed skating.
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    ajpiii, did you get the engine/trans spacers installed that you got from H&R?
    300michael - why a can with a hole? Why not just a small hole in the intake tube for drainage? I must be mssing something.

fastdriver - he's doing great. Hasn't killed anyone or anything with it yet. We were lucky that he didn't have to imombilize his elbow (normally it's one joint above too). The pain is bathing..can't get it wet. Thanks for asking!

glenn - Not sure about Saturday or Sunday. I'll have to check with my dear wife and get back to you. Hey, you play golf?

mikeyjohn - Don't worry...my wife knows how to drive my M fast. She has actually stolen it for the weekend. She's taking an accelerated cellular biology class (completing her massage therapist training) and she's gone from 8am until 5pm Friday through Monday. I'm Mr. Mom. If me and the kids survive the 4 days it will be a miracle. :)

All in CA - The lotto is up to 90 million. Don't bother playing...it's mine. :)
    I used to love golf. Gave it up about 8 years ago after blowing a disc in my back. Figured there wasn't any sense in tempting fate. Fortunately, there isn't a lot of back strain pushing hard on the accelerator pedal!
    A hole would suck in dirty air. a small can filter would let water flow out (at low idel speeds(I know your M doesn't do much of that)) and would allow for a fiter medium to filter incomeing air.
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    can only occur if the air intake path begins at the bottom of the car just above the street. Usually it is an air filter hanging off the bottom of the car. In deep enough water, the entire air intake can get saturated with water (and the cone filter might fall off), which then gets sucked into the engine.

With Aircharger, Franken-Intake, stock airbox, etc., the filter is far too high for this to be a concern; you'd have to drive your M into a lake for it to matter, and then you'd have other things to worry about.
  • lee1nyclee1nyc Member Posts: 60
    My original post on the Intrepid board "there has been quite a lot of talk on the 300M board about plaques that go over the airbag information labels on the sun visors. Some company makes "Chrysler" plaques that cover these bright orange labels over. Has anyone seen them for either "Dodge" or "Intrepid"? It is not that big a deal, although to read the 300M board, you would think this has become a cause celeb.

From Uxca- This guy wants them then gives us doo-doo talk for us wanting them! Duuuh!

My post about the plaques for the sun visor was totally misunderstood by you. Cause celeb (cause celebre) means something that has widespread interest. PT owners have had these plaques available for quite a while, and my original interest was generated over on the intrepid.net discussion board.

Truth of the matter is that I have always been a contributor to questions and solutions for Intrepid and 300M owners since purchasing my '98 ES almost immediately upon its debut. I was active on the AOL Auto Boards until they deteriorated into petty comments and infighting.

So before you go quoting someone and adding insulting commentary, it would be helpful if you understood the jist of the topic to begin with.
  • km99cobrakm99cobra Member Posts: 46
    Does anyone know if the 300M Special will be made beyond the 2002 model year? I sent a request for information on Chrysler's website and they told me they have no information and to keep in touch with my dealer, LOL. I have 6 more months to go on a 1999 300M lease and really like the look of the Special, but I'm afraid there won't be any around when I'm ready to buy later this year.