Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    The Sienna will run fine with 87 octane, it will just generate a bit less power
  • dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    In normal driving, we've noticed no performance difference between regular gas and premium gas. Per haps there's a difference in high altitudes or when towing, but we haven't been in those situations.
  • guitarzan1guitarzan1 Member Posts: 13
    We've mostly been running 87 Octane since we got the van. I tried two tanks of 93 Octane, and could not feel any difference - neither could my wife. We're not screaming around town running as fast as we can from every stoplight, though. :-) Perhaps if our van ever saw 5k RPM we might notice a difference - but our van rarely sees above 3k RPM. For "normal" driving, 87 Octane should be fine.
  • m10411m10411 Member Posts: 2
    Thank You all for your inputs. Now that I am more confident that 87 Octane is fine and will not ruin the engine and I drive in normal conditions. I will start putting in 87 Octane instead of 91 Octane and save at least $.20 per gallon. Thanks again for your input.
  • dspringsdsprings Member Posts: 1
    I received an "Err-3" message from the radio this morning after selecting the CD player. When I start the car, the CD makes sounds like it is trying to switch trays even with the radio off. When you turn on the radio and select the CD, it makes the tray switching sound and then goes to the FM radio. I can't load or unload CD's. The owner's manual says to unload the cartridge and/or contact your dealer. Does anyone have any advice from similar experience?

Can you access the multi-disk cartridge?
  • briantengbrianteng Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys. I just got a Sienna Symphony.
    I found everytime even after a very short drive,
    the hood is very hot. The temperature gauge didn't show anything wrong.

Is this normal? My Honda Accord's hood is just warm after driving.

Thanks in advance.
  • greg121greg121 Member Posts: 6
    We just had ours on a 2K mile trip going from sea level to 8400+ feet. No problems burning lowest octane available which decreased as we gained altitude, down a point or 2 at 1/2 mile and then another point or two at 1 mile.......pretty good load, about 500 lbs between 4 people and whatever associated luggage for a two week vacation amounted to.
  • bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    What are the benefits of using Synthetic Oil for a Sienna? Will the car last longer? Can I reduce the number of oil changes and still stay within warranty?
  • mbridgemanmbridgeman Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Sienna (of the variety with the T/C problem that has been corrected). We have had to have the passenger side window switch replaced twice so far in the 13k miles we have owned it. The last time was 3 days ago where they again replaced the switch. The service dept mentioned that they had seen this quite a bit recently.

Anyway, my wife was driving the van the next day and when she applied the brakes the battery light came on and when she accelerated the light went off. That evening when I got in the van and attempted to turn it on there was nothing except a series of clicks and it would not turn over.

The dealership recommended that we have it towed to the dealership, which we had to do at our expense. Today the dealership said that they have charged the battery and run the diagnostics and find nothing wrong with the van and recommend that if it happens again bring it in so that they can see what is happening. Has anyone else had this happen? Needless to say I am reluctant to simply go get the van and wait until it breaks again; (of course the fact that this is the same dealership that told me my torque converter problem was related to the gas cap does little to make me feel confident that they are correct this time!!) Thanks.
  • jlewellingjlewelling Member Posts: 14
    Sounds like your battery cable was loose. Shouldn't continue to be a problem.

The Sienna's a good car, but I don't know about your dealer. Keep the former and get rid of the latter.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    If you use 87 octane gas its a good idea to get a fuel injector cleaner put in your gas every 2nd oil change this will clean out the carbon that forms from using low octane gas. It comes in like a pint and cost about .75-1.50 its good cheap preventive maintance. Keeps your injectors nice and clean.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    The gauge is more accurate than the hand - I think it's normal.
    Picked up the van yesterday and was assured again that there was no problem with the electrical system and it should be fine. Went out to the driveway tonight and the van is dead again. Between the door switches, torque converter problems and all of the little odds and ends that have occurred with this van I am fed up. The only saving grace in all this is that I was smart enough to only lease this pig and it will be someone else's headache at some point! This was my first, and sure to be last, experience with Toyota; so much for paying extra for reliability
  • bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    Does it make any sense to buy the extended warranty? If the dealer is making money on the warranty, my first impression is that it would not be a good deal.
    Oddly enough, I think you should get the extended warranty. Given the amount of time my Sienna is in the shop they couldn't extend my warranty far enough.
  • tbpjrtbpjr Member Posts: 2
    Passenger side power sliding door sticks in the open position and has to be closed manually. Dealer says that they have seen a few of these problems and it can be fixed with a new sliding door computer. I am their first out-of-warranty job ..... $775. Out-of-warranty by just 6 months.

Anyone else had this prob.
    Was it fixed? Did it stay fixed?
    Ours started with intermittant pauses half open. Now it is constant. If you experience these intermittant pauses, take it to a dealer before warranty runs out.

I also have the "button sticking" problem on the driver side sliding door. Any ideas what that will set me back?

I've been a Toyota owner for 20 years and am saddened by this turn of events. I ran a celica and camry into dust without spending a penny. Looks like Toyota's rein as king of quality is a thing of the past.

I really DISLIKE Honda dealers. Anyone heard about cheap little Hyundai. Do they stand behind their vehicles - instead of hiding behind them?
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I suggest power rear sliding doors are about as useful as motorized pop-up head lamps. They are a cute, kinda George Jetson, novelty just waiting to be an expensive problem. I bought an XLE last fall and could not find one withoout at least one. I rarely use it, and my passengers find it confusing. It is unworthy of Toyota to join in these mini-van wars seeing who can gee-gaw their vans up most. I really don't understand why minivans have to have rear sliders. The hinged door has worked perfectly well for 100 years.
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    We did not get an extended warranty and don't feel we need one. Our '00 Sienna LE has had some typical minor issues (like with any vehicle); all fixed by our dealer efficiently and with a smile. We are not expecting any major issues after warranty time that would of made an extended warranty a good investment.
    I like sliders and attempt to park next to another van in parking lots as I've been "door dinged" too many times by others swing out doors.
    Twice I have had to put my Sienna in reverse quickly. This means stopping my forward movement by braking relatively hard, quickly shifting to reverse and then backing. Both times the car performed fine, but I felt and heard a couple of thumbs from the car. Could have been in the tranny or the brakes. To be honest, I was shifting quickly and counld have been moving from forward to reverse too fast. I've never felt bumps like this in another car though.

Is this a problem?
  • tbpjrtbpjr Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the slam dardson. Sorry I didn't know any better -- gee-gaw!!!!!

Anyone have some real knowledge -- like fighting "just-out-of-warranty claims?

Anyone know how to find listings of Toyota Tech sheets?

How 'bout this, gee-gaw!!! Anyone other than the grannies looking to boost their frail egos by slamming anything and everything people seek help on -- know of a REAL site where Toyota lovers actually help one another?

The world is full of know-it-alls who know nothing, flap their jaws and tell you how stupid you are. That's why people come to sites like this -- to look for answers instead of listen to hot air that's about as beneficial as a one cent stamp..

People who know nothing talk loudest to hide their ignorance.

Thank you for the warm reception ... I'll get off the soap box now and go elsewhere ... thank you very much.
  • sgergensgergen Member Posts: 155
    Thanks for that blaring message.
  • 5spd5spd Member Posts: 38
    Hot hood is normal. The V6 engine together with 5 quat of engine oil and ? liter of coolant means a great heat capacity value. Takes a while to cool down after you parked. My wife's Sienna takes a whole night to cool down if we park it inside the garage !
  • 5spd5spd Member Posts: 38
    I bet the sound you heard was the self adjuster of the rear drum brake working. Nothing to worry about.
    {Thanks for the slam dardson. Sorry I didn't know any better -- gee-gaw!!!!!}
    Please explain exactly how you interpreted my post a slam! I was offering an opinion to the readers in general (and responding to your post in particular) about power sliding doors. It is based on my experience since I happen to own an '01 Sienna with one of the "gee-gaw" sliding doors. I am certainly sorry you took it as a slam and did not intend it as such.
  • igoppigopp Member Posts: 3
    It seems such a fate has struck me. I mean my van, sorry. Does anybody know if extraction of dead animals from ventilation ducts is covered by manufacturer's warranty? What about repairing any damage that may have occurred when said animal came in contact with the moving parts (damage to said parts, not to the animal, I mean)?
    Here's why I believe there's a mouse in my air pipe: We spent last weekend out camping. The first time started the car the morning after that, the fan started making banging noises and vibrating. The first hints of an unpleasant smell came the next day, and it has been increasing ever since. Now it's to the point where entering the van is virtually impossible. Let's not even talk about turning on the AC.
    The van is still under warranty, so I am planning to have it checked out by the dealer. Has anybody ever had a similar misfortune, or does anybody know if I have a hope of warranty coverage? I believe it a design flaw that the AC system is not mouseproof.
    By the way, this is not a joke, and any advice is appreciated.
    Unless the animal was factory-installed, I don't think it will be covered under the warranty. You probably have a valid insurance claim though.

Current commercial codes would not require A/C systems to be mouse-proof or provide consumers with the expectation of mouse-proof air conditioners.

That is tough luck, but asking Toyota to be responsible for it may backfire and you could end up with a higher bill. Best bet is to hope for sympathy and an easy carcass extraction. Very likely this will not cost too much, but if it does, you're insurance company should pay for it.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Warranties cover factory defects. A mouse in the AC would fall under the catch all "...and other environmental conditions" exclusion.

Bummer.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    Vehicles should be mouse proof (rat, snake, bird, etc). They put screens on the air intake near the windshield to keep insects out. Maybe there is NO dead animal, and the foul odor that comes from most air conditioners after the vehicle gets older has appeared more quickly and stronger in your Sienna for some unknown reason.
    BTW, I agree with dardson. Too many options now appearing on vehicles are not necessary and are very likely to cause reliability problems. I do NOT want power sliding doors, power liftgate, etc.
    I will re-state my observation: Toyota has the best reliability of any brand. Some people have posted their reliability problems with their Toyota but I do NOT personally know of one Toyota owner who has had problems with a Toyota.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    dardson1 I read your post and I completely agree with you, on both counts. I didn't see your post as a slam, and I too, after having owned a Sienna with a power sliding door, would opt for a standard door, and I've not had any problems with it.

Passengers do find it confusing,always pulling against it and making it reverse. I always have to give that R/R passenger a 'sliding door' exercise before going anywhere.

I can sympathize with tbpjr, though. I had a 31" TV picture tube go out 30 days after the warranty had expired. That was almost the cost of a new TV to have it replaced. Fortunately, RCA was very understanding and replaced it for nothing.

I can only suggest that if the dealership isn't willing to cover it that tbpjr contact Toyota and find out is something can be worked out.
    My '01 XLE listed for just over $32k. I call that a fairly high dollar car. I like many things about it but when I drive over a rough patch of road it sounds like I've got a box of loose tools in the rear end. If Toyota is going to ask that kinda money for a car, the interior needs to have the high dollar quiet of a luxury car. I came out of a Tahoe into an Expedition and out of a that into the Sienna. I can tell you the Chevy and the Ford were both quiet drivers....no rattles. My Sienna sounds like a low dollar car by comparison. Funny, the Sienna (long term) may be the superior car, but the rattle-prone interior gives the impression of a cheap car.
  • zman21zman21 Member Posts: 46
    i have to agree with dardson1. i have the same van model, same price and the same annoying rattles (or as you said "a box of loose tools") i wouldn't get any other van but i do hope toyota will notify us and fix this. are you reading toyota???
  • sgergensgergen Member Posts: 155
    I have a 2000 XLE, no rattles or squeaks.

Have you brought this issue up with your dealer?

Scott
  • john1966john1966 Member Posts: 1
    I've got a '99 Sienna CE. The scheduled maintenance manual suggests changing the differential fluid at, I think, 35000 miles. I've got a copy of the factory repair manual and can't find any mention of changing the differential fluid.

Anyone done this before? How do you change it?

Thanks,

John
    I find the problem systemic, meaning the whole interior is rather loose and well below what I think of as state-of-the-art tolerances or up to the level of other $30k+ cars. My wife drives a Lexus. That darn thing is screwed down! I don't care where you drive, what kind of nasty road you encounter, there is not a groan or rattle. My Sienna cost very nearly as much but the cars are light years apart. My point, is Toyota needs to do their homework if they're going to offer cars in the $30k+ range. The Sienna is a very well done $22k minivan that has the heart and soul of a mid-priced vehicle. It's outta it's league when it pretends to be a luxury car.
    the Sienna is a great value in the CE and possibly the LE series. The very best stuff about a Sienna is available on a bottom of the line CE, that being the engine/power-train. The engine/transmission is quiet, smooth, and right up there with the best. If I had to do it again I'd buy a CE (instead of an XLE) with the CE Value Package (which adds the essentials), and I'd have all the good things about the car for something like 8k less.
  • dpandeydpandey Member Posts: 2
    The left middle row seat belt in my 2000 sienna got stuck recently. The dealer says that the seat belt will have to be replaced ($310) and it would not be covered under warranty. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.
  • lamm9733lamm9733 Member Posts: 37
    Unless you are over the mileage for the warranty, I would ask the dealer to very clearly explain why this would not be covered under warranty. I find it unusual that this would not be covered (although I do not know for a fact....maybe Cliffy could shed some light). I would find another dealer and/or take it up with a regional rep.
  • anthony921anthony921 Member Posts: 40
    ...that this forum even exists. I just sold my 1998 Sienna (got a very good price for it) to get a Highlander. The Sienna was one of the most trouble free vehicles I have ever owned. Only two problems: Three radio buttons fell off (radio replaced under warranty), and the CD player skipped in cold weather (also replaced under warranty).
  • john_bryjohn_bry Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 98 sienna with 35k miles on it. Took it on its first road trip. Everything is excellent except the air conditioning seems a little wimpy. This had dual air conditioning controls, by the way.

It eventually cools the car fine, and admittedly it's in the 100s outside. But my Ford Windstar seemed to do a better job.

Does the car need to be checked or is this endemic to the early Siennas?

Thanks,
    /john
  • yamanyaman Member Posts: 113
    We have a 2000 xle and i think the air conditioning is wimpy also.once it gets going it cools the car fine but it seems to take forever
  • jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    I have a concern recently with my AC, too.

I have had the misfortune of owning previous vehicles that had frequent AC problems so I know the symptoms of one going bad and I have noticed these symptoms on my Sienna for the past few weeks. I can actually see a mist or vapor emitting from the AC and notice a freon smell. I took the van to the dealer last week for an oil change and service and asked them to check on the AC. They said that they tested it and they didn't detect any problems. I am a little worried about this because it doesn't explain the mist and smell and also, they did not even print anything on my receipt about checking the AC at all. I am wondering if I should get a second opinion from another mechanic. Has anyone had any major AC problems with their Sienna's?

By the way, two vehicles ago I had a Ford Taurus. Even though the AC broke every three years (I owned it for 10), it really was great for cooling. Next I owned a Dodge Grand Caravan and noticed a signifcant difference in the ability to cool compared to the Ford. The Sienna is about the same as the Caravan - Seems to take a while to get things cooled off, but once it is cool it is quite comfortable and even too cold at times.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    I know there's been much discussion about tires, but has anyone experienced severe wear on the outside edges of the factory Dunlops (mine is a '99 XLE)? At first, I thought I went 10,000 miles with underinflated tires, but since have been very dilligent with pressure checks.

There used to be a channel in the outermost treads on each side of the tire. They're completely gone on all four now after almost 45K miles. In other words, the tire used to have 5 channels in the tread, now have only 3. I was going to wait till winter to replace, but I'm concerned about loss of traction in turns and hydroplaning. maybe these tires are just at life's end and I should replace them now...but the outer tread still wore way too fast.

Lots of folks here have gone to Michelins - has anyone tried Yokohoma? They get a good review from Tirerack.com and only cost $45-50 each...
  • keithlcakeithlca Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone having problem with their transmission oil pan seeping oil? I have a '99 XLE with 31k miles that seems to seep a little oil as I look under the van when I rotate the tire myself. My brother's '98 ES300 with 9k miles is even worst with oil dripping from the same spot.
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    I have a '99 XLE and the air is working fine. I keep it on recirculate until it's cool inside, then open the vent. Make sure that you turn on the rear air if you have it. I also found that my passengers kept closing the rear vents because they were cold. I always check to see that they are open.

Refrigerant, like R-134a, evaporates immediately upon exposure to the air. The 'mist' that you are seeing is actually condensation evaporating. Kind of like when you open a freezer door into a warm muggy room. Very normal. My car does it, my old Oldsmobile did it, I've seen it on several airplanes. The muggier it is the more it does that.

If the mechanic tested the pressure and the pressure is normal, then the system is OK. There is a lot of very hot air inside a van, and it takes a while to cool all of it. Here are some things I do to make mine cool faster.

Open the rear door for a few seconds. If you have the power sliding door, open it from the key fob. This unloads a LOT of hot air.

Buy some sun shades for the front window. These do make a difference.

Park in the shade whenever possible.

Remember to close the sun roof slide.

If it's 100 outside, imagine how hot that air inside the van must be.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    The Sienna CE is a very attractively priced vehicle and unlike some brands, Toyota has the top of the line engine/transmission in all trim levels of the Sienna. Unfortunately, the Tachometer and 2nd row Captain Chairs are not available on the CE. I never missed having a Tach until our current 99 vehicle has one. Necessary? No...but a nice little item to have.
  • tcwongtcwong Member Posts: 9
    I recently replaced my original Firestone tires with Yokohoma Avid T4. They are very quiet on the road and handle very well around turns. The ride is about the same as before. I am very happy with these new tires so far with about 3K miles.
  • jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    Replaced the Firestones supplied on my '01 XLE with Goodyear Aquatreads upon delivery of the van. Now have 8500 KM on them, and am very pleased. They are a bit noisy but handle the rain very well. Superb wet traction, great raod handlng. Do recommend them. Can't wait to try them in the snow this winter.

I find the A/C is excellent in my van. Use a sun shade and close the sunroof cover when not in use. Try opening the rear vent windows when you first start the car and for a few minutes thereafter. I have the climate control set to a specific temperature and leave the rear air to auto. Van cools off well in no time. The "steam" you see is condensation. We don't have that much up here, but was on a small plane in Jamica once and it scared the crap out of unknowing passengers. All thought the plane was on fire until the Pilot assured them is was normal. A bit freaky, even so.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    I was thinking of the Yokohama Avid Touring, the model just below the T-4 (Same but lower speed rating). Tirerack has it for $45, and about $52 for the T-4 I think. Called Sears, and they'll sell the T-4 for $83. They alignment, mounting, and lifetime rotation and balancing for about $500. What kind of lettuce did you pay for your tires?
  • jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    Since I live in Florida, the mist most likely is condensation, like you have suggested. I am probably overly worried because of past experiences with major AC repairs on other vehicles. One thing I have noticed is that it seems to be happening when I am using outside air (i.e., not recirculating) which I usually do when I first get in the car and don't want to recirculate 120+ degree inside air. Since I would expect the outside Florida air to have more moisture, the condensation theory makes sense.

My low air pressure indicator light is coming on after just having tires rotated and the reset button isn't working, so I will be back to Toyota tomorrow to see what is going on. They put nothing on my invoice regarding checking the AC, so I will see if they can make me feel better by noting it.
  • truckdudetruckdude Member Posts: 55
    squeak, creak...clang, bang...oh what a piece of junk!

This is our 6th Toyota...and last. Drivetrain is excellent. The size is perfect. But I can't live with the squeaks and rattles and lack of concern from the service center. Hope I get a good trade-in for it...