Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Yes, I took readings before and after. I have purchased a R/S digital meeter for this purpous. The Before readings were 86db and after 78db. I chose this road because of was really noisy.
    A couple of factors can change the readings.
    Every streach of road is different, and thus you will get different readings.
    second is tire pressure. Running the GY's at 30 made it quieter then running them at 37 pounds. Getting rid of the G/Y's helped alot too.
    I did the trunk because of the rear wheel wells, and the suspension attach points. The main areas are the wheel wells the front floor board/firewall is next. The doors is another area that can use it. Things that increased noise was the intake and dual exhaust I added, but I like the sound of them.
    I have to get one of those stickers for my rear view monitor. LOL
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    I just installed these weather reflectors on the front windows and I'm happy to report they work brilliantly. They look very unobtrusive and go on without any adhesive in seconds. (They fit perfectly in the existing window channel.) Here's a surprise I wasn't expecting; they cut down on wind noise dramatically especially at higher speeds! That alone makes them worthwhile in my book. Chalk up another one for German craftsmanship!
    SDMike-Sorry to hear of Big Red's injury. If you don't have any luck getting that scratch out, I have something called GS27 that works wonders. It is actually a very fine polishing compound specifically for clear coat finishes. I have used it on a few minor marks with great results.
    sounds like a GS27 clinic for the Meet, LOL. One some it seemes to work very well, on others I doesn't for some reason. The games afoot Dr. Watson.
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I haven't paid much attention to this board about the weatherflectors, but you just got my attention. What are they good for (other than noise) and what do they cost, and where do you get them?
    Their primary purpose is to allow you to keep the window open a little and not have water from rain, heavy dew, etc. drip into the car. For this purpose, they work beautifully. The wind noise reduction was a fringe benefit. You can get them from a number of automotive supply houses or, like me, I ordered them directly from MacNeil at http://www.macneil.com

They cost $53.95 for the pair including shipping.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    where can I get that stuff---I need it for a long scratch caused by branches on the side of the road after a wind storm--long scratch on passenger side door --dont think it hit the primer--help!
  • 300mike300mike Member Posts: 20
    Can you take a quick photo of these on your M? I'd like to see what they look like. I've been thinking about getting something like that.

Mike
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I've been reading your forum for a couple of weeks now and have enjoyed your conversations. You truly are an enthusiastic and pleasant group of people.

I work for the federal government and drive a take home company car for work. Well, last December, my assigned car (1995 Firebird Formula) died and I was given the go-ahead to choose a replacement from the GSA list.

After much agonizing and prioritizing, I finally chose a 2002 Chrysler Concorde Limited. I wanted a 300M as my first choice but, my bosses bosses boss drives one and I felt that it might cause me some grief! Most of the management don't really know cars too well so I figured I could get basically the same car in a package that they wouldn't recognize. I hope I'm right!

With the price cap I was given, I pretty much had to choose between the Chrysler cars (Concorde, Sebring, Intrepid) and the GM sedans (LeSabre, Regal, Bonneville). I could have also picked a Ford Escape or Mustang, but I quickly dismissed them. After driving the Firebird, I was ready for something big and comfortable, but not ponderous and boring.

The Chryslers have a lot going for them. Horsepower, leather, power everything, style, etc. so I went with the Concorde. I especially wanted remote door locks, traction control, and a good CD stereo, options not available on most of the other cars on the list.

I should take delivery in May or June. In the meantime, I'm driving a 1996 Intrepid 3.5L DOHC that was assigned to someone who recently retired. It was actually the performance and dynamics of this car that steered me towards the LH cars.

So far, I have found the Intrepid to be surprisingly quick and nimble for such a big car, but it is noisy (common complaint, yes?) and cheap inside (hard plastic and lots of rattles). Also, the steering rack/front suspension groans and cluncks in the morning when it's cold outside. I'm hoping there have been a few improvements over the years and I expect the 2002 to be significantly improved.

In checking out road tests and owner comments, it seems that the Concorde Limited has a lot in common with the 300M, although I guess it's truly not a member of the club. Also, since I won't actually own it, I won't be customizing and tweaking it like I normally would.

Here's a little about me. I'm 36 and married with two kids (5 and 2). I just bought a Buick Rendezvous last July for hauling the kids and in-laws around, and it is great. The best car I've ever owned! Having come from a sports car background, I really resisted family cars for a long time but finally conceded that we needed something big (seats seven), safe (side airbags, AWD, ABS, etc.) and comfortable (leather, moonroof, power everything, heated seats, driver seat/mirror memory, etc.).

BTW, I listen to a lot of the new age and classic rock music you've discussed. I'm also a big Alan Parsons Project fan and I'm partial to Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck too. For cruising, have any of you sampled "Yello", "Green Day", or "Black Box" to name a few?

Regards,

Brian
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    It's the feds!! ;)

Welcome Brian. Nothing like a little "Jungle Bill" cranked up to push your car over the speed limit. :) I too like Yello and Green Day, especially "Basket Case". Now I'm dating myself too. I first had I Robot on 8 track. I can still hear in my head where the track had to change about 2/3 of the way though "Some Other Time". :)

It's a shame that you had to "save face" and elect the Intrepid over the M. You're really missing out. Too late to change your mind? ;) Either way, welcome!

Mike
    I've been negligent in mentioning one of the great "30 mph over the speed limit" bands...Faith No More. You guys that like to...uh...test drive music via MP3 files get ahold of "Midlife Crisis", "Woodpecker From Mars", "Zombie Eaters", and if you want an immediate speeding ticket "From Out of Nowhere".

Oh..also go get "Spybreak" from the Matrix soundtrack. It's the music playing when they blast their way into the building to rescue Morpheus. Glenn...you are forbidden from playing that in your car. lol
    Let me know what days you're playing hooky. I'd like to see you deflectors and try the scratch stuff. Big Red got Zaino'd today and is looking purty. So purty that I felt guilty and cleaned my wife's Grand Caravan (garbage can on wheels).
    ...and MRL & Blonda too.

This weekend is ok for me to hit the show. Saturday late afternoon/evening or Sunday work well. The show is open until 10pm both days I think. Won't be able to use the $2 off coupons (bad thing) but I get to spend some time away from my in-laws (good thing).
    Thanks Glenn the video of the delectors was great, I would like to see pics of an M install. Also welcome lawman, it's probably not too late to change to an M. Just my opinion!!!!
    Gosh, I've had the GS27 for several years now and I have no idea where I got it. I would try the major auto parts stores like PepBoys and see if they have heard of it.
    I will try and get some pics of the weatherflectors tomorrow and get them posted for all to see.
    SDMike-Come on over anytime, I'm off this Thursday and Friday, and yes Sunday is probably the best day as traffic will be lighter (hopefully) and Monday is a holiday for me (Yea!)
    Well, I'm almost done! I replaced all the factory speakers with Fanatic "Q" components and bypassed the factory amp in lieu of a 600.4. I'm installing a pair of SAS amplified Bazookas in the trunk (one in each corner). The total wattage of the system peaks at about 1200. The system is now completely noise free thanks to a pair of Audiolink line converters and needless to say my neighbors can hear me coming about a block away! I don't know what it is about car stereo. My wife says it's a male gene of some sort. She can't stand any music above volume 2!!! I'll get some pics posted in the near future. I mounted the amp and crossovers on the back of the rear seat. I tied the 2 back seats together with a metal brace as some of the wires cross the divide and I don't want anyone inadvertantly trying to put down only one of the seatbacks and tearing out the wires. It all worked out fine and looks pretty cool! Now I just need to add a little neon and I'm all set!
    Fess up. Since you're not allowed to smoke in the house, making mods to your M is just an excuse to spend hours and hours outside! By this time next year the only thing stock on your M will a couple of pieces of sheet metal! :) Sunday's show hours are 10 to 10. If the weather is nice I'll probably ride in the morning, so maybe we can go after lunch someting?

Oh, for those that asked, the winds out here finally calmed down and I think they have the Fallbrook fire under control. Today was in the 70s and gorgeous. I felt bad for Glenn because he can't roll down his windows for another week or so because of the new tint.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately the order is already in and it's too late for me to change my mind, and even if I could, I wouldn't risk it.

I can just imagine someone with more seniority seeing my brand new 300M and deciding "a young wippersnapper like him doesn't need a fancy car like that, in fact, there's nothing wrong with the 1996 Intrepid he's already driving!"

No, I'll stick with the Concorde LTD and be happy I'm getting basically the same car and nobody will be the wiser.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...Lyle Lovett rocks! His music is awesome and his albums have very high production values. They really show off a good sound system.
    I was one of them, but this guy wants too much for them ($7 more then most other places) even more then the dealers. go figure.
    The last couple of days we seem to be averaging about 50 posts a day. I haven't seen that since Sept. 11th. We are starting to leave the BMW 3 series in the dust.
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Spring must be approaching...
    Given that I don't want to spend much over $400 for a new digital camera, and given I can get some sort of good deal through my gf (who works at Best Buy), which of these would be a good deal?

http://www.bestbuy.com/PhotoImaging/DigitalCameras/Cameras.asp

• bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    Are the replacement door pannels getting any better? This will be my third. They seem to last about a year and crack.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    I got it at Walgreens. One caveat - if the scratches are very deep, GS27 won't get rid of them. If they're surface scratches, it works pretty well.
  • mboomgardenmboomgarden Member Posts: 39
    The Chicago Sun-Times recently had an article in which Robert Lutz, formerly of Chrysler and now with G.M., was interviewed. One quote from Lutz that caught my eye was this:

"It was widely reported that Mercedes-Benz would bring quality to Chrysler when it bought Chrysler a few years ago. But the funny thing was that internal industry surveys showed Chrysler actually had higher quality than Mercedes at that time. Those surveys weren't released to the media or the public, but everyone in the industry knew it."

While I'm the first to whine when I have a problem with my 300M (or any vehicle), this information actually confirms pretty much what I've experienced as an owner of Mercedes and Chrysler vehicles. The Mercedes cars I've had have an extremely solid feel and perform well even after thousands of miles, but I've experienced a similar array of defects and component failures. One significant difference, however, is that Mercedes parts are very expensive.
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    If you want to be able to make large prints (8X10) or greater, I'd go with a 3 megapixel camera (if your girlfriend's discount will get one into your price range). Here's a great site with detailed reviews on many cameras: http://www.steves-digicams.com/ Also, plan on spending more money for NMHD rechargeable batteries and extra memory card(s). Most cameras come with one small memory card and, at most, one set of rechargeable batteries.
    Third? The way you position yourself in your car will keep causing this, I assume. Rather than sit differently, take out the panel and epoxy on a thick piece of plastic on the bottom of the part that cracks. This is best done on a new panel, but should work fine on a cracked one.

I ended up getting a second new panel myself, but it was because the dealership sliced it up by the power window switchplate when they jammed that part in.
  • bobhex40bobhex40 Member Posts: 63
    All I do is rest my elbo on it while I drive. Can the armwrest be pulled without taking the whole door pannel off?
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/daily_dpotd.html

would make a great wallpaper or screensaver
    I use a 1.3 megapixel camera and it's great for pictures up to 5x7. Over that it starts to look grainy. Like Denverm said, go with 2 or 3 megapixel if what you're shooting for is the ability to print photo-quality 8x10s. Because of computer monitor display limitations you'll never need more than a 1.3 (and not even that) if you're just going for web site pictures or pictures you can archive on the computer for viewing (like us). We print very few. For $250 I think my camera does a fine job. My father bought the 2 megapixel version of my camera and didn't pay much more. So, it IS possible to get a real nice camera for under $400.

Here is another good site for camera reviews. http://www.megapixel.net. Click on ENGLISH and then on the review area on the upper right (will have a featured review). There you will find a drop-down with hundreds of cameras listed. Megapixel provides thorough reviews of all of them.

Mike

• silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Mike, sorry to hear about your scratch. (No Valentine's candy for you, wifey!)
    I finally got a chance to wash the bullet and found there is more damage than I thought from the encounter with the basketball goal post that I backed into while still half asleep. There is a crease about 8 inches long on the front door and a dent in the rear door. The rub strips are both crushed in. Clay bars are good, but not that good. Now I have to worry about paint matching (bright silver). I can get a few other places touched up at the same time. All three of my dings occured while backing up. Maybe a sonar backup sensor would be a wise investment! LOL

Leaving for SLC and Olympics tomorrow! That means I will have about 250 posts to catch up at the current rate.

Silver
    Make sure to go to the bathroom before you get on the plane. They arrested a guy for using the plane's bathroom within the 30 minute time window before the plane landed...a violation of olympic FAA rules. Sheesh.
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I heard this story second hand so take it for what it's worth:

I was aware of the lower than thought MB quality issue back when the sale happened. We had an ex auto industry engineering manager where I used to work and he clued me in to this fact.

Apparently MB's destined for the U.S. spent quite some time in the repair bays after coming off the line to fix all the visible build flaws before they were sent over here. This was attributed to be part of the reason why MB's were so much more expensive here than overseas. So in essence, the quality went in AFTER the name went on so to speak.
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I had my silver M's body and paint work (after my bike rack fell on it) done at El Dorado Chrysler in McKinney. They did a fine looking job. The paint matches well and I have had no complaints.
    And they had it done 24 hours earlier than they quoted!

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Martin K.: email address supplied to me bounced back an error message :250 OK. I don't know if this means the email address supplied to me does not exist or some other reason.
    George C.: error message bounced back tome " stating the user's mail folder is over the allowed qutoa (size)". I'm assuming your folder is full. You can reach me at my home email address from the Club's home page.

The message I was sending you was information about your soon to delivered membership packages, how to acces the chatroom on Wednesday nights, and assorted other information.

Regards,
    drpixel/Glenn Beye, VP of the Chrysler 300m Enthusiasts Club and assembler/Creator of membership packages
    Make sure to pass new member information on to me so I can make sure they're invited to the meet where appropriate.

Thanks
    For all of you that want to see what these look like, go here

http://communities.msn.com/Glenns300M/my300mphotos.msnw

They are on the 3rd page. They were hard to photograph as they are about the same tint as my window tint, but you'll definitely get the idea.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Well guys, someone in Indianapolis has us all beat as far as mileage on an M. The 99' Platinum M is on Ebay and it has, take a breath, 151,000 miles!! Here's one of the quotes:

"if you didnt see the miles on the speedo, you would never believe it had them, period.its still new."

Take a good long look!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1804565847&r=0&t=0

I wonder if it rattles much after 151,000 miles?!

Those look nice, especially since they match your tint. Tint looks great too!
    I envy you that you are going to the Olympics. I have been involved in both summer and winter and the experience is great. Get into the pin trading, it's fun. The last I heard is that the ABC media pin from 1988 is hot. I have two of them in my collection. Mike is right about the plane ride, and I hear the guys name was Bizzaro (how bizzaro is that?) If you get the chance do me a favour and find out what the problem is with the judges in the figure skating, we wuz robbed, but I guess they are going to have an inquiry. It is unfortunate that politics have to enter into these games, it sure takes the credibility out of what should be fair to all athletes, no matter where they come from. To keep this on topic, how bout a slalom course involving an M? I volunteer Sdmikes car with the Zaino shine. Any comments!!!!!!!
    I agree, you was robbed yesterday! Clearly a better performance. I guess your PM pissed off the French at some point. ;) Hey, I'd rather point Big Red down that straight desert road! On second thought, I think my wife drives the car like it's in a slalom race, so maybe my car IS a good candidate. :)
    I agree with the desert road, I'm still waiting to hear if you arranged the airflight for my M to the meet. I can hardly wait. The weather here to-day was great and I was able to open the sun roof, and all I wanted to do was a spring cleaning, but they are forcasting a snow storm for to-morrow. Go figure!! Our PM is somewhere in Russia right now, maybe he's paying off the Russian judges, but who cares. We know who won and so does the rest of the world. I see it also pays as they have been on more talkshows, than you can shake a stick at. Apparently Leno to-night.
    Do you have a reverse photo taken from the oppisit direction. (I smell an Hiway Patrol behind those weeds). Looks like AZ except for the clouds).
  • 300mmm300mmm Member Posts: 27
    4 weeks and around 1300 miles on the Steel Blue ' 02 and I'm luvin' this car. Dealer changing the 4cd tomorrow (jammed) but other than that, which I really don't count against it, this is a great and fun to drive big sedan. The perfect blend of what I wanted and what I needed. I'm old enough to have owned and driven several late 60's muscle cars when they were still pretty spry and I have to admit it's been a while since I've stood on the pedal of something and had to let go as it got a little too scary for the road I was on! If only it were rear wheel drive and could go sideways, man then we'd have something! Can't wait for Spring in Connecticut!

By the way, I went with the MagnetBra and it worked out very well. Good fit and good looking too.
    Can you take pictures of the magnet bra? There's a guy on ebay selling them. Where did you get yours and what did you pay?
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Got my new issue of Outside magazine today, and it had a two-page ad on the Special. Here's a scan of the relevant part of the graphic: http://www.btjdesign.com/300m/300mspecial.jpg Kinda sums up how I feel about my (special, but not Special) M.
    That's great. Kind of along the drive=love theme...but more like "driving on a deserted road without cops = love" :)
    Before I list it on eBay, is there anyone interested in buying my Basslink? I just finished upgrading my sound system and added 2 10" amplified RS Bazookas. I will not be using the Basslink. It's only a few months old and mint! They're going for about $200.00 to $250.00 on eBay, but I'll sell mine to a fellow M owner for $150.00. Great deal, just don't tell any non-M people. ;)
    Just stay the hell out of my neighborhood. ;)

Oh, you guys may find this amusing. We had custom cabinets installed in our family room today. As a rule I try to curb my urges and stay the heck out of people's hair when they do their job. Anyway, the ceiling is 96 inches tall and the unit is to be 94 inches, with the final two being facia to deal with any irregularities in the ceiling height. Store that away...TWO inches. The cabinets are 20 inches deep. You can start drawing this on a napkin if you want. SooooOOO...the guy starts assembling the panels and stuff in the middle of the room. Two hours later he has the whole framework done, and I stroll in for my first visit. I almost had a heart attack. Here is this 94 inch tall, 74 inch wide assembly (with top, bottom, verticle supports, shelves, etc.) laying face down on the floor....and the installer plans to *AHEM* stand this thing up in the 96 inch tall room. Anyone else see the problem here??? Needless to say the poor guy almost shot himself when he realized that he couldn't get it any higher than a 45 degree angle. lol. The installation didn't get much better from there. He has to come back and install the facia, a couple of doors that got made the wrong height, and the glass shelves that were cut 6 inches too long! What a bunch of rocket scientists...from the designer, to the factory, to the installer...and they all blame each other, of course.

Oh...here are a couple of pictures of what was there before (now on eBay) and the partially finished unit:

http://www.ritchiefamily.com/ebay/wall_side.jpg

http://www.ritchiefamily.com/ebay/wall_new.jpg

Now, how does this relate to the M? Well, ya knew I'd get there. This custom unit for MY WIFE cost about $3k. I've only done about $1k of mods to Big Red. See the leverage? :)