Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• pointatobpointatob Member Posts: 30
    is there a new prelude enthusiast out there yet? hope everything is going well.

my sis-in-law just had a baby earlier this week, on 9/11 of all days....

aabb
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    His due date is today. We went to the Dr. this AM and the wife is still 2 cm dialated. Anytime between now and next Friday.

Congrats on being an Uncle!

We actually have a very close friend who lost her husband on 9/11 (he was a friend of ours too). We visited them 2 weeks ago. I taught her 16 year old daughter to drive my car. She had just gotten her permit a few days earlier. Took her to a parking lot. She launched the car perfectly on the first shot! She also has another daughter who is becoming a Bat-Mitzvah at the end of the month and twin 9 year old boys.

My wife's cousin's birthday is 9/11. He was also in London the day of the train bombings and returning home from Italy (via London) the day they arrested all those terrorists.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

My son was born September 23, 2006. He's a very healthy 9lbs 4oz & 22" long.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    Let me be the first to send my congraulations! He's a healthy boy alright at 9lbs. Here's to many healthy and lifelong memories. :)
  • cewawiecewawie Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to find a replacement engine for my 99 Honda Prelude SH. This is proving to be impossible. The number on the engine block is as follows: H22A4 3500124.
    If someone knows where I can find an engine please let me know!!!!
    How many miles are on the car? What happened that you need a new engine? I know there are companies that sell JDM H22A motors, just try and google Prelude Engine.

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Congratulations on the big boy, nyccarguy!

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• preludefanpreludefan Member Posts: 17
    Way to go NYCCARGUY. That's one big boy! Enjoy the experience.

-Preludefan
    The car has 84k on it.
    My mechanic found an the same engine with 90k on it just today. Not exactly what I was looking for in miles, however at this point it's acceptable.
    I would like to add that I did a google search and found an engine through All Japanese Engines of Orlando. Or so I thought. I talked to the guy there and purchased this same engine. He sent it, and 3 weeks after the day it was supposed to arrive, I finally got it only to find it was the wrong engine. The guy I was dealing with, Alex, said they didn't know how that happened but after sending him pictures of both engines side by side, he said he didn't have the engine I was looking for. He told me to have it ready the next day to be picked up and 1 1/2 weeks later it still was sitting in the shop. Finally got it picked up a week ago, and my money has yet to be returned. Will NEVER deal with AJEO again.
    So hopefully all will work out with this other engine.
    The wrong engine was sent again. My mechanic got to looking into it, and what he says is that this car came straight from Japan, and it's not going to be possible to find an engine for it here. I'll have to buy one from Japan for $4,000 plus shipping. Does ANYONE have any help they can offer? I'm at wits end here. I'm a 22 yr. old college student working part time. I can't freakin afford this. I am open to any suggestions!
    But if it were my car (yes, even my beloved Prelude), I'd be looking for a different one rather than putting a new engine in the car.

Have you thought of selling your car on ebay (either whole or parts). Myabe you could find a buyer who wants to turn it into a race car or drift car. For instance: The dealer gets $350 for one Prelude OEM rim, even if you sell four rims for $200 a piece, that's a grand in your pocket.

I don't know what to tell you. Even if your car has no engine, it is still worth something. Rims like I said before, headlight casings, suspension parts, seats, steering wheel, air bags, body panels. It might not be easy, but it sounds like you're having a heckuva time finding a new engine.

What happened that you need a new engine anyway? Were you racing or did the timing belt go before you had a chance to replace it? We're definitely not here to scald you, just learn from what happened to your poor Prelude.

• oldludeoldlude Member Posts: 3
    hi everybody im a recent buyer of an older prelude 90 and have a few ?s does anyone no much about them/
    ive owned an old accord 86 is there much that is close to being the same the lude is aws 2.0 si
    well if u no what i mean the engines are nothing alike but the body shape is close i was just wandering if anyone could tell me if i made a good investment got it cheap and replaced the radiator and it runs great havent driven it much yet still checkin it over for potential probs
    Well, I did a really stupid thing. I co-signed for a friend. Life lesson learned. Anyhow, apparently he thought it was a race car. Guess he just drove it like an [non-permissible content removed]. The rod went through the block. When that happened he was on the highway, and instead of calling a tow-truck, he had somebody in a pickup just push the car off the highway. The rear bumper is all jacked up now. Plus as some point the car was air-borne and the front bumper came off as a result, and the undercarriage is all scraped up. The clutch is shot (he got a new one in it 1 month after purchasing the car, and it needs another now), and the calipers are gone as well as the front tires. So yeah, I'm stuck with this now.
    I'm going to see if I can't get out of it as-is at least half of what I owe, but my mechanic said he can try to re-build the engine. I'm hoping he'll be able to do that, and then I can just get rid of the damn thing.
    Checking in today with over 75,400 miles! I just picked the Prelude up from service where I had an oil change & tire rotation done as well as 2 minor problems. I heard a loud buzzing from the passenger door when I would lock the power door locks. This was diagnosed by my dealer as a faulty actuator that needed to be replaced. There has also been an annoying grinding noise coming from underneath my car at around 2700-3100 RPM. Ther dealer found a bad exhaust shield that had rotted and replaced it.

THey had to order the parts, so I got to keep the loaner car they gave me for almost the whole week. an '06 Accord LX. I think it has the same engine as the new CRV. It had some pep to it, drove smoothly, and seemed very well put together.

It was nice to get back into my Prelude with its low driving position, tight steering, Sirius Radio, and oh did I miss my 5 speed!

After a few years of not being too crazy about them, Hondas are really starting to catch my eye again.

The new CRV is really nice. I dig the looks and really liked the interior of the one I sat in at the dealership. Gets decent good mileage and comes loaded to the gills with leather, 4WD, & navigation for $28,000 sticker. Have you checked out what some used CRVs are going for, their resale values are insane!

On the other hand, the Accord I drove really begs the "do I really need an SUV" question. It was roomy, comfortable, had a massive trunk, & you get a 240 horsepower V6 for a similar price as the above mentioned CRV.

If something disastrous were to happen to my beloved Prelude, I'd take a hard look at the Civic Si sedan.

I'd also have to give the '07 ALtima a look. Supposedly they drive much sportier than the Accord.

I think honda needs this next accord to be a "looker" or else they will continue to experience loss of sales. I agree the cars technical abilities and handling etc are still that good ole honda feel. So you like the CRV eh? It seems like they did go upscale with it somewhat. It'll be interesting to see what Honda/Acura will come out with as far as real sporty cars in the next few years. That's what I'm MOST interested in.
    Well the holidays are rolling around once again (Hanukkah comes before Xmas this year) and I've decided to get front and rear sway bars for my Prelude. The only thing that is holding me back is the color of the bars. I like the car to look stock. Even my Apexi World Sport exhaust tip is a little too big for me, but it sounds good. I wanted to sway bars in black. The company that makes them for my car (Type SH) come in GREEN! GREEN! YUCK! I know I won't have to look at it, but come on!

• jm56435jm56435 Member Posts: 2
    I am considering buying a fifth gen Honda Prelude soon. I've read all the Honda tech specs for the car and I know the HP and torque #'s and the weight and such. What I'm looking for is some inside advise. What is the performance potential for the Prelude? Reliability needs to be key as this will be my daily driver. But what can I do? How much HP, can I get a H22A to 250 or 300 and still be reliable. How about turbo's or superchargers. I'm trying to stay away from nitrous. Can the suspension be upgraded to handle occasional autocross events? Are there any problems I should know about like a weak manual tranny or such? Also base model or SH. I know the SH has the ATTS, but many forums I've read say save the weight and go base model, anything will help. I'm 24 so I don't have gobs of cash to throw away, but I plan on keeping the car and slowly upgrading. Thanks for any info.
    Well, I'll try to help you out as much as I can from my own experience. One of the great things about a Prelude is that it is a HONDA first and foremost. I own a 2001 Milano Red Honda Prelude Type SH that I purchased brand new in April of 2002. It currently has a touch over 76,000 miles on it and I drive it back and forth to work 6 days a week. It is fun to fling it around corners and exit ramps when I am by myself and comfortable enough to drive from NYC to South Carolina. During the winter months I run the car with 4 snow tires and have yet to have any problems getting anywhere.

Besides the first year that I only put about 5,900 miles on it, I've racked up a little more than 20,000 miles per year since then. I change the oil every 4,000 miles with full synthetic. My car still has the original brakes on it at 76,000 miles.

I've made a few upgrades to the car. A few cosmetic and a few performance oriented. I've added Honda Fog Lights and a Pioneer Head unit with Sirius Satellite Radio and iPod adapter.

Performance wise, the best thing I've done to the car was get new tires when the stock bridgestone Potenza RE-92s wore out.

I currently run 4 Yokohama AVS ES100 tires for 3 seasons. What a difference in wet and dry traction and handling they make.

I've also added an Apexi World Sport Cat Back Exhaust system (Stainless Steel). The tip is a little big for my tastes, but it is quieter than stock at idle and around town, but sounds so sweet when you open the car up.

I had to replace my clutch at 52,000 miles last year and upgraded top a Centerforce Clutch. Take up feels the same and hopefully ti will last longer than the stock clucth did (No, I don't EVER race).

The motor should easily be capable of 250 - 300 horsepower. I know Jackson Racing makes a supercharger for the Prelude and there are people who will Turbo your H22A, but those are both very expensive (If you live in the NYC area I could recommend someone).

The Prelude is a very capable car from the factory. If you want to upgrade the car for your driving pleasure and maybe to autocross it, start with suspension mods and then add engine power later on. First I would put a good set of Z rated tires on the car (My Yokos were about $80 a piece from tire rack). The I'd get a Quaife Limited Slip Differential. Then I'd get a Rear Sway bar, then a front sway bar. I'm actually getting a front and rear sway bars installed sometime this later this month.

As far as Base vs. Type SH goes. Go with the base (this comes from a Type SH owner). Besides ATTS, our cars have slightly firmer suspension setups. A base model will definitely be less expensive for you to buy. Modifications are much easier to find and will be cheaper to install on a base model.

eg 1: The guy I deal with for performance parts searched ALL over for sway bars for my Type SH Prelude. He found 2 manufacturers. Everybody else and their mother make Sway bars for the base Prelude.

eg 2: I lived in Manhattan for a little over 2 yeasr with my Prelude. Sat in bumper to bumper traffic every night, then had to drive around and look for a parking spot, stopping at every red light because the lights running east/west aren't synchronized. At 52,000 miles I was advised by my dealer that I had to replace the clutch. To replace the clutch on my Type SH Prelude required an extra 5 hours of labor to take out and re-install the ATTS unit.

I love the car and can't say enough good things about it! With 76,000 miles on it, my Prelude is still as tight as the day I bought it. As with any used car, make sure you have it checked out by a mechanic and by CARFAX. Try and find one that has not been modified or slightly modified by the previous owner. Good luck and keep us posted!

• jm56435jm56435 Member Posts: 2
    Thnaks for the info! I'm still a couple of months away from having my current car paid off so I can start looking but I'll keep you posted
  • bellizzi97bellizzi97 Member Posts: 3
    :sick: I notice a strange noise in the front of the my 97 Prelude (base) only when the temp dips below about 40 degrees. It sounds like a loud clunk/thud by the front wheels/suspension when I start off in first gear from a complete stop. If it's cold enough the clunk sounds like the entire axle will come apart, or something like that. Also, if it's cold enough the clunk will occur when shifting to second gear. If it's not cold out, the only noise I ever hear is just squeaking going over speed bumps (like an old rocking chair). I get this car maintained according to recommendations, and everytime I take it to a mechanic, it's just my luck that the weather is never quite cold enough (I live in eastern NC). Obviously, I am not a mechanic, and know little about cars, so if you could--keep that in mind with any suggestions or advise. Thanks!
    To me (and my Prelude). I had Front and Rear Suspension Techniques Sway bars installed in my car on Thursday. WOW! What a difference! I thought the car handled well before....It corners so much sharper now! Turn in is crisper, I'm definitely carrying more speed through corners, there is so much less body roll, and the handling is so much more neutral! If you do ONE modification to your car....Go for Sway Bars! I'm completely in love with my car again!

I've noticed for awhile now this slop or slack in the drivetrain between shifts. I don't think it's my shifting, I shift slowly and precisely. Anyone else notice this or is it just my car? I'll take it to Honda and see what they say.
    I'll have to keep that mod in mind NYC, thanks for the tip.+
    Let me know what Honda says. How many miles do you have now? Is it almost time for an oil change? I definitely can tell by driving that oil change time is coming up soon. I hope it isn't your clutch.

Well I have 30K on it. I don't think it's clutch related. It's just that I feel more "play" than should be there. I'll keep you posted. I won't take it in until next spring.
    What are you crazy? I haven't eevn put my winter wheels/tires on yet the weather here has been so good.

a little bad weather, but I would have to agree it's been incredibly nice so far.I just drive my integra gs-r in the winter.
    What year is your GSR? How many miles are on it? What color is it? You've got 2 great old-school Hondas with the Prelude & the GSR.

I have a 92 teal green GS-R. It has 103k on it. I LOVE that car, it's clean inside and out. I had the clutch recently replaced in it, and the independent honda/acura shop were in awe of the great shape it's in. I know I'm living in the past with these Honda's, but sad to say they don't make em like they used to ;)
    That's the 1st GSR they ever made. Definitely hold on to that car. It isn't just you...I think the same thing.

over 77,000 miles, I still love my Prelude. I plan to keep driving it until the wheels fall off. But as a car nut I'm always thinking; what's next? If something devistating were to happen to my Prelude sometime in the near future (somebody borrows it without asking or a tree falls on it while it is parked), my short list would include:

2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan
    2007 MazdaSPEED 3
    2004-2005 CPO BMW E46 330i w/ Performance Package
    2006 CPO BMW E90 330i w/ Sports Package

If I get a serious influx of disposable income within the next 5 years, I want a Porsche Cayman.

Happy Holidays!

• preludedpreluded Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone,

I've been looking for a Prelude for a while now (in NJ) and have found one I want to buy.

Its a base Honda Prelude 2000 (not SH).
    5 spd (manual)
    Color: Black
    Mileage : 55,000
    Clean carfax
    Single owner.
    There was a slight dent in the hood that seems to have happened from the car having gone under something.

The car arrived at a local dealer's lot on 21st Dec (Thur). I came to know of it through a friend who was looking for a car himself, and the dealer mentioned they'd just got this Prelude (they're a big dealership). I dropped by on Friday without telling them I knew they had this car. I asked if they had ludes and they showed me the car and it looked in good condition. I test drove it on Saturday and it was good.

They say they will have the car spruced up, have that dent removed and have it ready to go this week.

Their price : $12,500
    KBB : $13,625
    nadaguides : $12,750
    edmunds : $11,200 Certified Used : $12,200
    I don't have a trade-in.
    It will be dealer-certified. so thats a 1 month warranty.

On Saturday, I tried to bargain and made him an offer of 11,500. My argument was that it was not in *perfect* condition because it has been in some kind of accident (though its not in the carfax), as is evident from the dent in the hood. He did the "I'll speak to my boss" routine and said they couldn't go any lower than 12,500. His claim was that since they were doing the body work and stuff, they couldn't let it go for any lower. I said "OK. I'll have to think about this" and got up to leave.

Then this happened:

mgr: Jimmy says you want to leave because you're not getting a good price. I'll tell you. This car has got so many people interested, it will be gone once we have it ready.
    me: what?? a stick shift car that is out of production is in demand ?! I'm not buying that story.
    (As great as Preludes are, I know they don't sell fast and are not in demand by the common carbuyer)
    mgr:(laughs) in this area? points to another salesman and asks him "how many called this morning expressing interest in this car"
    other salesman : oh. so many of them
    mgr: see ? you can think about it and come back next week. If the car is still there, we'll see. OK?
    me: OK. tomorrow is Sunday and Mon is Christmas. You're saying the car will be sold in the holidays. yeah. right.
    mgr: no I'm saying that once we have it ready and have the car listed on the web site on Tuesday, it will be gone in no time.
    me: ok. thank you. I'll think about my options. Bye.

The salesman says he'll walk me to my car and repeats what the manager told me "if the car is still there... blah blah".
    I shook hands and left.

Now, my confusion:
    The price they're quoting is reasonable. But the kbb, nada pricings are slightly over 12.5k and edmunds is below that.

Which price do I go by?
    What are my bargaining chips?
    What kind of information can I take to him, to get a better price?
    I've told them I'll want it tested by my mechanic and they're ok with it. I should not skip this step right?
    Any other suggestions on how I handle this?

Dilemma : I really need a car now. I was in CA before, and got by on my motorcycle. Can't do that anymore, since I'm in NJ now. I'm taking the bus to work now. Since its the end of month and the year I thought I'd be able to get a good deal. Will these guys budge because of the end of year pressure? The car just came to their lot, so I'm thinking they may not be desperate to sell it by EOY.
    Should I wait longer (into Jan 2007) to see if the price drops?
    Or should I make a deal for around 12.5 and buy the car before someone else grabs it? I fear the crazy spenders who might just buy this car at the asking price blindly, thinking they're getting an awesome deal.

whew. long mail. Thanks for those who stuck around to the end of my post :)

Happy holidays!
    Sounds like a shady place.

This dealership is trying every shady line in the book on you. I don't care if the car just got on their lot. They can't make any money on it if they don't sell it. $1000 off the asking price of a used car is not that much! For them not to take that offer is just plain GREEDY! They got the car one of 2 ways:

1. They took it in on a trade in which I'm sure they told the guy it isn't worth more than $9000 because it is a stick and a sports car and it is winter time.

2. They bought the car at an auction and probably paid $8000 - $8500 for it.

They need to sell cars by years' end. Sports Coupes don't sell that well in the winter time here in the Tri-State Area (NY/NJ/CT).

The people who are "snapping the Preludes up" are looking for older ones ('97-'99) with lots of miles (over 100K) who are looking to pick up a fun, inexpensive car for $6500 or less.

Check out Cars.com or Autobytel.com. I'm su're you'll get a better idea of the asking prices.

I WOULD NOT GIVE THIS DEALER MY BUSINESS!

Good Luck!

• preludedpreluded Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input nyccarguy. I'll keep that in mind.
    any thoughts from others?
    Yeah, there are other nice preludes out there. Keep looking. You might have to search further out, but it would be worth it for a nice, clean one. Good luck
    of a car with a few miles on it. My '01 Type SH has over 77,000 miles on it and is still as tight as it was the day I took delivery (4/27/2002). The H22A engine dates back to 1993.

• 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    The dealer is playing games with you, but so were you.

If it is the car you want, ask yourself how much time are you willing to spend to save how much money. We sold our base '98, auto with 82k miles last summer for $7600. It was worth more last month. I think they will hold their value (and maybe appreciate) till there is another $10,000 high school kid car.

Also, Preludes have thin hoods; someone may have leaned or sat on the hood.

One negotiating tactic may be to ask if the timing belt has been changed. It is a 90,000 mile or 7 year maintenance item and will run close to $800 if you change the water pump and coolant. Unless they have documentation, assume it has not been changed.

If the car is still there tomorrow and you still want it, offer what you think is reasonable and walk away if they are still adamant. Good Luck.
  • cyndikinscyndikins Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Prelude has 70,000 miles and a burnt #2 piston. What will that due to the value of the car? Having it rebuilt. :sick: Other than that, is in excellent shape.
    Happy New Year everyone! As I filled up (why is gas going back up, $2.79 for super?) I realized that my Prelude is going to be with us for a L O N G time. Since our son was born, we've been taking my wife's Protege everywhere (for obvious reasons) on the weekend.

The only driving I do in the Prelude is back and forth to work 6 days a week. My mileage will be cut down from 20,000 per year to a little ove 12,000.

So I'm thinking of a new car plan. Keep the Protege for another 2 years. Replace it with maybe an Accord EX-L 4cyl w/ NAV. Keep the Prelude unil something catastrophic happens or I have enough money for a car for myself and get a really nice used E46 M3 Coupe :D

That M3 coupe sounds good :)
  • stevehsteveh Member Posts: 7
    Hello bellizi97, I have been experiencing the same issue with my 2001 Prelude (Base 5-spd, Nighthawk Black Pearl) for the last few winters here in northern NJ. No one at the dealership was able to find anything wrong with the suspension, though (and I rarely hear it during the spring and summer). Otherwise, the car has been wonderful and now has more than 92,000 miles. Did you have any luck finding out the cause?

I finally paid it off back in August but I think I'll be holding onto it for awhile. :)

**S**
    92K miles....nice! Did you buy it new? My '01 Type SH (Purchased new in late April '02) has over 77K miles & is still chugging along.

I bought my Prelude new, back in mid-August 2001. For a few years I drove it and a 2000 Accord V6 coupe (which I bought in late 1999 and sold early last year). Aside from a clutch replacement at around 50,000 miles, the Lude has been a delight. :shades:

**S**
    I replaced mine at 52,000 miles. That was actually one time I wished I hadn't opted for the Type SH (ATTS unit had to be removed & re-installed in order for the clutch to be worked on. I didn't want to have the clutch worked on in another 50K after that repair bill, so I went with a Centerforce Clutch.

I'm hoping my current clutch (#2) will survive at least until after the timing belt change. How much did the Centerforce clutch parts cost vs. the ones for the OEM clutch?

I once had a red 1996 Prelude Si (bought it new and traded it in for the Accord coupe a little over three years and 81,000 miles later) and never had any clutch issues. Aside from the AC compressor sometimes not working on hot days, every once in awhile I miss that car. :)

**S**
    I'll have to dig through my receipts, But I want to say around $400 just for the clutch. The Honda dealer where I have my car serviced said they'd only put the aftermarket clutch in if the installed a Genuine Honda Flywheel & Throwout bearing. After parts and labor, it was a rather large expense.

I had my timing belt, timing belt tensioner, H2O Pump, Valve Cover Gasket, Spark Plugs, and a few other things changed as preventitive maintenance at about 72,000 miles (77,7XX currently). I had it done by the Speed/Sound Shop who put my Apexi World Sport Exhaust on, installed my pioneer radio, Sirius Radio Receiver, i-Pod adapter, and of course my favorite Suspension Techniques Sway Bars.

It is January 16, & I still have my Summer Yokohama AVS ES100s on. Maybe there is snow in the forecast next week. When they say snow, I'll switch to my winter wheels/tires.

So you switched from a Prelude to an Accord Coupe? What happened there? :P

• bellizzi97bellizzi97 Member Posts: 3
    I don't know what is causing the noise because we never were able to isolate it. What I do know is that it is a popping noise from the front end when accelerating from a complete stop. The noise occurs when the engine torques back and forth. Sometimes it happens when accelerating around a corner in 2nd gear as well. Any time the engine torques. The hardest thing about tracking down this noise is the fact that once the outside temperature reaches around 40 degrees or higher, it goes away completely. Things we checked that had no problem visually included: motor mounts, ball joints, sway bar and all front end components. What a mechanic saw that he thought might fix it is on the passenger side near the ball joint. There is a place where the subframe meets the chassis. On the driver's side, there was a minor amount of clearance between these two pieces of metal, but on the passenger side they were touching. The guy is convinced the noise is in the body/chassis as opposed to the suspension, so he suggested creating the same amount of clearance on the passenger side as we saw on the driver's side. He did that, but it still made the noise when it was cold enough. So, we're back to the drawing board.