Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Man, I wish I was headed to the West Coast meet. Here in the East, yesterday's high was 70 degrees but today's high was 33 degrees. Belive me, 70 is much nicer.

Anyway, sdmike2 was talking about bringing some wood trim samples to the meet and I was wondering if there was any way to get other vendors, not just Chrylser dealers, to participate in 300 Club discounts. Seems like a wood trim vendor, or K&N filter vendor, or even Tire Rack would be possible vendors to offer club members something.

I noticed on the 300M club site that these types of vendors have to be approved first by Roger. Just out of curiosity, what would the requirements of the vendor be?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sdmike2-

Can't wait to see those pics!

While I was going through my Z stuff on Saturday, I came across some Mopar touch-up paint for the Candy Apple Red for Christine. Can anyone use it? I'd be more than happy to send it.

fastdriver
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I saw one in NYC(Staten Island)this weekend. Took it for a test drive. I guess the North East is getting them first. I went to a local FL dealer, & they didn't have 1 in the whole state. It drove just like the 2000 I had with the 18's. I couldn't tell any difference in peformance between the special, & the 300M I had with all the mods. Maybe if I had a stock car I would see the difference. The noise level was alot less though. I liked the way it looks. The black ground effects on the silver color isn't bad in person, but would be better if they matched. The interior was ok. I'm not a fan of metal trim. The seats needed more support. The standard seats are more supportive. Overall, it's not a bad car at all. If it wasn't so big, I might have bought it.

On another note. The 300M's must be selling VERY WELL in the North East. I saw at least 20 of them in NYC, & NJ. There all over the place. I guess it's all the big discounts. I also saw 1 special on the NJ Turnpike.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I haven't had any problems per say with the tranny. I drive it hard, & have done an AEM intake. It does sometimes give a little bump at some low speeds. It's ethier the tranny shifting into 4-5th(remember we have 5 gears) or 5th-4th, or has to do with the climate control going on, & off. So far it hasn't been a problem for me.
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    From an East Coaster, lots of luck and excellent weather to all you West Coaster/SoCal 300m'ers! I look forward to seeing the pictures of my fellow 300m 'nuts'. Hey, mike..if 15 show up, thats great. If 10 show up, thats fine, too. Have decided on just trying to find slip-over 'tips', rather than have a Midas/Meineke guy unweld the existing tips and re-weld a new set.

videoman1: Talks are underway for a Second East Coast/Wall Stadium Speedway (or somewhere else...) sometime mid-August to mid-September this year. There is a link from the Club home page to a message board (Club Message Board) where there is a topic for Meets under "Club business". I've been typing to George Deane-last year's most excellent Event co-ordinator about a second meet. I've asked for input, etc. for this planned second annual event, so give me some input, all you East Coasters. to date, we have about 90-plus east coast members from the following states: NJ, NY, VA, DE, PA, MA, ME, CT, NH, MD , but all members are welcome to attend. You (videoman1, and other east coasters...) are welcome to email me --my email address is available from the "Contact Us" link on the home page. The club site url is http://www.300mclub.org

Regards to all....

drpixel/Glenn

• drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    From an East Coaster, lots of luck and excellent weather to all you West Coaster/SoCal 300m'ers! I look forward to seeing the pictures of my fellow 300m 'nuts'. Hey, mike..if 15 show up, thats great. If 10 show up, thats fine, too. Have decided on just trying to find slip-over 'tips', rather than have a Midas/Meineke guy unweld the existing tips and re-weld a new set.

videoman1: Talks are underway for a Second East Coast/Wall Stadium Speedway (or somewhere else...) sometime mid-August to mid-September this year. There is a link from the Club home page to a message board (Club Message Board) where there is a topic for Meets under "Club business". I've been typing to George Deane-last year's most excellent Event co-ordinator about a second meet. I've asked for input, etc. for this planned second annual event, so give me some input, all you East Coasters. to date, we have about 90-plus east coast members from the following states: NJ, NY, VA, DE, PA, MA, ME, CT, NH, MD , but all members are welcome to attend. You (videoman1, and other east coasters...) are welcome to email me --my email address is available from the "Contact Us" link on the home page. The club site url is http://www.300mclub.org

Regards to all....

drpixel/Glenn

• glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    If you take out the factory 4-disc CD changer, it leaves a gaping hole. There must be a piece that fits in there, like a sunglass storage bin or something, for those that don't have the CD changer to begin with. Does anyone know what this is called and do you have a part#? I have called 2 Chrysler dealerships and they have no clue what I'm talking about!
    Hi Doc,

I'm over here in Pittsburgh, PA and would love to participate in an East Coast meet. I'm not very familiar with much in eastern PA or NY, NJ area, but I'm sure I can find my way.

Which Six Flags Adventure were you talking about? Somewhere in NJ? If you have the meet close to a resort or amusement area, it would make it a much easier sell to my wife and kids :)

BTW, if you notice my username, it's videoman1 (Formally 300Mike but I changed it because of all the Mikes that exist around here along with not being able to get into the chat last Wed.) Why videoman1? Well, I own a video production company of course, and I think it would be fun to tape and edit the get together. Assuming I would make it to the East Coast meet, I'd be more than happy to document the events and send copies to all those who were there.

That's pretty much what I have to offer for those of us on the East Coast. If I can come up with any ideas or if you need anything else from me to help get things rolling, let me know.
    Glennbp,

I have a '99 300M without the CD changer and you're right. It's a storage bin that has a kind of rubbery feel on the bottom...I guess to keep things from moving. It seems almost like a plastic pocket that you would slip into the hole where your CD changer is. Hope this helps.
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Gee SDMike, you really have this thing organized! I'm bummed I will only be able to stay for the first hour (I might try to get there a little early too -- I live about 5 mins. from there). Maybe I can join you guys again at the Holiday Inn.
    Well, I have confirmation that a storage bin is where the CD changer goes if you don't have the CD changer. Is there anyway you guys can get a part# for this storage bin? I took out the CD changer when I upgraded my sound system, but now have this gaping hole in the dash! Thanks in advance!!! (The dealers around here are just nuts!)
    I just wanted to add to your comments about fit and finish. I know exactly what you're talking about with regard to the trim, etc. The fit and finish on my M around the windows was horrible. (which I have had the dealer fix and it is improved by at least 70% now. It was a first model year and they have made improvments to the trim since). But because of this, I had made it a point to observe the fit on other cars. This is what I have found with regard to the Big 3 American Manufacturers: GM is generally the best of the 3. Ford is no better than DC and their Lincolns believe it or not appear worse in some cases. I have seen it on LS's and suprisingly on the Continental. This characteristic of "not perfect" fit and finish I think is very common in American cars -- foreign makers appear to spend a lot of time making sure the fit is precise, but perfect on the outside does NOT mean perfect on the inside (unless you pay the big $$ for it of course).
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >...guys can get a part# for this storage bin?

Not very easily, the instrument panel comes to us fully assembled with a radio and CD deck or open bin already installed. We don't see them as a separate part on the line.
    I will check around to see if I can find a source.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I found what you're looking for at http://www.oem-car-parts.com. Select the 2001 300M and then navigate to collision/instrument panel/storage compart. There are two items listed under there, one is the storage compartment for about $20 and the other is the rubber mat for about $10. If you look at the diagram they provide it appears there might be a bezel (8 on the chart) involved but I'm not sure. It doesn't give the OEM part numbers for you to take to the dealer (although I didn't check if they show it if you add the item to your shopping cart), but my experience with these guys is that things ship pretty quickly.
  • rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    It's not so much that I need to approve a vendor for a discount, but actually recruiting them to give us discounts. I'm not timid about asking, and have been approaching a few vendors as the Club grows in size. A lot of them are deeply discounting their products already and have a hard time cutting into profits any more. We ARE working on it, so look for more things to happen.
    I'm emailing you my cell phone number so you can call when your event is winding down. That way you'll know where we are and if it's worth hooking up with us. I'm sure you can come up with a credible excuse at the shower of why you have to leave after only 20 minutes. lol
    They want $10 for the rubber matt? Are you kidding? It's this thin little textured rubber piece that is glued to the bottom. Glenn, if I were you and you have to buy the matt separately, buy something with a little more grip and put it in yourself. From my personal experience...I use it to keep the case from the current CD I'm listening to in there (since the 99's only had the 1 disk changer). A little too much torque makes the case come flying out. As a matter of fact, since I put on that nice woodtrim this weekend I'm afraid to do that anymore as it will scratch it. btw -- ask your dealer if they have a 99 on the lot. They can look at it to get an idea of what you're talking about.
    Glenn,

Maybe a junk yard would have a fairly decent '99 300M on it's lot and you can get the bin from there. Someone backed into the front of of my brother's Taurus and since it was his word against the person who did it (long story), neither insurance companies covered the accident. So my brother went to a junk yard and they had a Tauras with a perfect front bumper. Needless to say he purchased it from there.
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    1 collector, 1 muffler, 2 resonators with single tips. The intermediate pipes are dual to the end of the tunnel then merge into a single pipe to the muffler inlet. Then an outlet leaves the muffler on each side.

So the difference between the Hujo and Special is dual pipes exit the collector and merge to one pipe in front of the fuel tank. A resonator on each exhaust pipe.

Wing2 has posted pictures of the drivetrain before it gets mated to the chassis showing this arrangement. Maybe he can post the link again.
    I just called Bob Baker (where the meet will be) and asked about the storage bin. The parts guy said "how strange...I've had two calls for this today". hahaha. I guess you already know, Glenn, that the part is number 4698659 and their price is $25.25 plus tax.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Well, got my silver visor placques on the 9th of March. Ira mailed them from PT Warehouse on the 12th of February. Great performance by the Postal Service. Weather was warm on Saturday so I got them right on and they look good compared to the ugly decal.

Dr--On the east coast meet. I recommend either June or Sep/Oct timeframe since a large contingent [hopefully] from all over, including the east coast, will be going to the Aug 17 weekend Dream Cruise in Detroit and the trip to the factory in Brampton. A little spacing might allow some to hit both events.
    ok...here's a question for all of you. I just took my wife's van in this morning to have a leaky axle seal fixed. In January they "repaired" the transmission and supposedly fixed the leak by replacing the seal/gasket but it's continued to leak. That's not my question though. My question is WHY would they insist on my dealing with the original service writer? There are about a dozen of them checking cars in at 7:30 in the morning, and when one of them came to my car he insisted on me waiting for the original person to help me. I don't get it. I just wanted to drop the blasted car off and here I have to wait 20 minutes for the same service writer to check me in when any of them could have done it just as easily. It's like they make a commission or something. Anyone have any idea why they would do this? Just curious (and still a little frustrated). Besides, that service writer is a real...uh...female dog (smile) and I would have welcomed another one.

M
    Thanks for the legwork. The parts at OEM-PARTS.COM are definitely what I was looking for. I signed up with them but I guess their server is down cause I can't get to the checkout to buy the stuff! Oh well; maybe this evening. Yea, the guy at Bob Baker thinks that it's the bin. He wasn't sure and didn't have one in stock anyway and they're not open Saturdays, so, I'll just order from OEM.COM when they're back up. Thanks again though; it was driving me nuts!
    I was able to get to the checkout. Maybe it has something to do with a firewall from your side? If you want me to order it from here shoot me off an email at mritchi1@san.rr.com. No problem on doing some legwork. I'm unemployed, remember? ;)

Oh, I'm trying to get Bob Baker to donate some stuff for the meet raffle. Not sure if it will happen, but maybe we can get them to donate a storage bin and I'll rig the raffle for you. lol!
    Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think the chasis had enough room for twin pipes to run back from the collector. Cool though. It's also interesting that the car can get such a nice rich sound (as described by many) with that many mufflers on the blasted thing. :)
    I called Jack Powell in Escondido and "Gabe" in parts said they could have the part by wednesday. They're open Saturday from 8 to 4 too. The list price is $27.54 but when I told him I could get it on-line for under $20 he said he'd discount it to $19.50 (not including the mat).

M
    I called Gabe at Jack Powell and ordered right over the phone. Both pieces were $29.50, a bargain compared to what this stuff costs! Should be here Wednesday or Thursday. Once again, unemployed or not, thanks for the effort!
    Cool! I just emailed you before I read your message. I called McKinney Dodge in Texas (the guys that handle the chrysler parts for oem-car-parts.com and chrysler-parts.com) and he said they're out of stock. It would take him a few days to get it if you ordered on-line. Powell was the best way to go. Matched the internet price and no shipping cost. :) You can buy me a coffee Saturday. lol
    Did you have mess up your carbon fiber trim as part of this process?
  • cbwonguscbwongus Member Posts: 40
    Anybody ever have to remove 3M dash kit pieces from their M? I'm thinking about removing the wood piece around my shifter but I don't want it to look like crud when it comes off. Can this be done cleanly? Help?
    Question for those who have installed the Joshua Tree wood kit for the 99-00 with the factory match. They claim all their edges are beveled, not straight cut. But the window control pieces on the one I received are all straight cut. So no rounding or smothing of the edges...exactly what they describe their pieces DON'T look like. All the other pieces are okay. Before I call for replacements, are your window control pieces like this?
    Mike, no, the trim panel poppped right off with the carbon fiber trim attached.Then there's an OEM adator to fit the radio. When it's all done, it looks just like it came from the factory (with carbon fiber of course!)

cbwongus - it depends on how long the stuff has been there. If it's been a while you have a chore ahead of you. Heat and lots of patience is the only way to go and even then you will still have some glue remaining. If it's on the factory wood, the cleanup isn't so bad. But if it's on the vinyl, it's almost impossible to get it off cleanly. Some folks have taken theirs off, but replaced it with something else. Yop may wind up doing the same thing if all else fails.
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    10:45 Sat is good. I'll meet you at Starbucks. In reference to your dealership experience, yes they are on commission. The right thing to do would have been for the next available advisor to write it up, take care of the customer, and turn the ticket over to the original advisor (usually you want a "recheck" to go back to the original writer/technician for continuity). Unfortunately, the rest of the customers were probably viewed as potential money makers and you weren't. It's not right, but that's the way it usually works. Obviously the service manager allows it to continue. Maybe try Poway, as I know their service department people and I don't think it would happen there.
    Thanks for the info. I had no idea that they work on commissions. Maybe that's why my service writer was such an...ahem...unhappy person this morning. I guess a "re-do" doesn't fill the coffers like a new service ticket does. I think I'll go to Poway from now on. It's closer and the glow from some of my previous good experiences with John Hine is waning quickly.

See you Saturday!

M
    Mine is beveled as advertised.
    To all-

A turnaround on the way-

http://www.detnews.com/2002/insiders/0203/11/insider-434969.htm

fastdriver
    Ok...how strange can a day get? First I pick up embroidered club hats (will have them for sale at the meet) and the awards and they're PERFECT for the first time (good strange). Then I get a letter from unisys confirming all kinds of retirement information...problem is...I never worked for unisys. I called them and they're really confused as to why my address got associated with one of their employees with the same last name, but not first (odd strange). While I was on the phone with unisys I got a return phone call from the service writer who told me that the transmission pump failed again and that they'd need to keep the van for another day. With a mildly frustrated tone in my voice I asked if I could call her back because I was on the other line. Five minutes later she called again and said, in essence, JUST KIDDING! She says that her tech was "messing with her" and that the car is done and can be picked up before 6pm (strange strange strange). I have no idea if the damned thing is fixed or not. I guess if it keeps leaking once I get it home the answer is no. Sheesh.

M
    sdmike2-

AND.... it's not even Friday the 13th! ;-))

fastdriver
  • dkrhardydkrhardy Member Posts: 134
    I had asked my supplier the same question about removing dash trim pieces and his answer was .... DON'T! If there is some reason that you really need to remove one/some proceed with great caution. He says that 3M is there for life and many people have had chunks of dash material come off still stuck to the 3M tape. Sooooo having said that, be careful and if you have to do it I also would suggest heat be carefully applied. Good luck.
    no kidding! That's the first thing I checked. I wonder if there's a full moon tonight. ;)
    sdmike2-

NOPE! I would have known if there was! ;-))

fastdriver
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I have the "Storage Compartment Cobby Box" with the mat, you are asking about. The Part #4698659. I left an Email for you.
    the hardesst part is making sure you do not bend the pieces too much (Cracking the wood). Using an hair dryer really helped Med or low heat setting. They came off fairly easly. You will need new tape (3M) to reapply them though afterwards. No damage to any of the interior trim.
    I wish the meet was closer I could bring a lot of 300M parts to show, for example the 2002 breakaway mirror, turn/marker light, European side marker lights, window regulators, stock intake system, K/N filter (stock version), throttle body, Headlamps and bulbs, the stock intake system, and a lot more. Come to think of it if the meet was at a nudist camp I could bring it all (no need to pack clothes) LOL The way my family talks I have more parts the the parts department.
    lol! kind of like a show and tell! I could bring my stock intake system with me, and if someone can figure out how to get the engine heater off it's theirs!
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1810518019&r=0&t=0

Could be some extra income for a moon lighting plumber.

hahahah! That's awesome. I just installed three new sinks in my house, so maybe I've just found my new career.
    Hey Mike, have you ever worried about getting the air filter wet from the vents in the wheelwell? Could this pose a problem?
    The general consensus is that the small amount of water that might spray through that vent wouldn't be a problem. It might cause the car to run a little rough if it ingests a significant amount of H2O along with the fuel and air (it will change the flash point of the mixture), but to get hydrolock I would likely have to drive it into a lake. If it's something you're concerned about you could always make a small deflector out of aluminum to sit between the vent and the filter. I don't get enough rain down here to worry about it. In fact, the other day when I was driving in the pouring rain with standing water on the road my car didn't miss a beat.

Now that guy selling the plumbing intake might have though water was a bigger issue! lol
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Yeah, it does seem to defy logic yet the exhaust does have a nice burble to it at idle and a good sound under throttle.

They've gone to a lot of effort to tune it because there is no interior noise from the collector and no resonance noise at any speed I've driven at so far. You hear the exhaust note under throttle but it's definitely coming from behind you.