Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• sienna01sienna01 Member Posts: 12
    rward99, I need to look at my manual. Is there a way to turn the power off to the power sliding door? I have not tried another dealer yet. I may check with another dealer. thanks
  • dbarnettdbarnett Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. Are you pleased with the van? Any complaints?
  • greg121greg121 Member Posts: 6
    Gullo in Conroe internet dept treated us ok. Sorry can't remember what we paid but it was reasonable (trade-in was another story tho - usual car sales song and dance). They didn't have desired vehicle in stock but were able to locate one - unlike my local dealership.

Greg
  • gowenlockgowenlock Member Posts: 11
    We love the new van. The kids couldn't stay out of it the first few days. So far our max passenger load has been 6 and everyone was comfortable. The kids think the power door is so "cool". I could have lived without it seeing that it could likely fail (I always think worst case scenario) although others report no problems with it. Only flaw is the passenger seatbelt which was installed twisted (didn't notice on the test drive) and the pin striping which is not tacked well at the ends. Other than that, it drives smooth with no noticeable shifting and is so quiet you can hear the person in the third seat with no problem. I love the stereo. We convinced ourselves that since we planned to keep it for at least 10 years that we should get some features to make it enjoyable. I do worry about the light interior since we don't have leather. On previously posted advice, we put carpet runners down to protect the carpet and I am looking for seat covers now. Our big test will be traveling to CA from TX this Christmas with a pit stop at the Grand Canyon. But right now the best thing is that our 8 and 12 year old girls don't have to sit next to each other!
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Here's a new one. Was rotating my tires and wanted to remove the rear drums to clean and adjust my brakes. I tapped the drum to loosen it and the counter weight that is tack welded on fell off. One dealer says you don't need it (which I don't buy) and the second dealer will look at it next week. My options, if Toyota does not replace it under warranty, is to have the weight tack welded back on or buy a new one (or two). Anyone have this problem? Thanks in advance.

Greg
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    I don't think there is a way to turn off the power feature, unless you remove the drive belt. On the dash you can turn off the power by pressing the lock out. This will keep it from opening other than by forcing it. I've done this with no ill effects, but I've been told that this can damage the unit. I haven't forced it since then.

I'd recommend that you take it to the dealership. You may have to visit more than one to get it fixed.

The manual will tell you how to manually reset the door. I've not done it so I can't be of any help there.
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    is it just me or do you guys notice this too? sometimes, i can swear that my sienna runs better (faster) when the weather is cold! on other occasion, i could feel like the van is so heavy and slow. i have felt this with other cars as well - but i'm not sure if i'm imagining things or what!

i have a feeling that it's got to do with the air/fuel mixture.

any comments? thanks.
  • pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    Your instincts are correct; it very likely has a lot to do with fuel/air mixture.
    Warm and humid air is less "dense" than cool dry air. That is to say,the former contains a greater concentration of water vapor, and this a moisture displaces air. The latter has less water vapor, and thus more air per given volume of atmosphere. Cool dry air is said to be more "dense".
    This will affect engine performance, because the "ideal" fuel/ air ratio of 15:1 is modified somewhat by the presence of moisture.
    This is particularly noticeable in piston engine aircraft, where takeoff and climb performance is significantly reduced by hot, humid conditions. Altitude of an airport is another factor which affects performance, because the higher you go, the less atmosphere there is.
    In aircraft, these conditions not only affect engine performance, but "lift" over aerodynamic surfaces of the aircraft is reduced as well.
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    the AC compressor runs little if any in cold weather (unless the defroster is on)...an AC compressor definately takes a toll on performance....and yes, I would agree....at times the Sienna feels distinctly quicker than at others. I have always attributed it to whether the AC was running or not.
    well thank you much for all that air/fuel mixture goodies! :)

yes, when the a/c is on it will take away some power from your car. cars with v8 engines dont notice this as much as 4cyl. or 6 cyl.

well, at least now i now i'm not imagining things! :)
  • trials1trials1 Member Posts: 1
    In response to message 1234; dumping a Sienna transmission is not uncommon. Mine went a less than 24K.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Anyone have this Toyota option. Mine went out picture wise yesterday. Wondering if that is common. Warranty will fix but always the pain getting that done.
    Also, Sienna trannys were bad for the 2000 model year as I remember.
    INKY
  • klukenkluken Member Posts: 4
    ACtually I have had a few cars that the A/C smeels on. Seems in todays more efficient A/C units the coils are tighter and any moisture that gets trapped can quickly get moldy or mildew, I have had similar problme in my home AC at end of winter due to humidifeir. It seems to be a bigger problme in the East and SE areas where humidity is high, probably Texas too. My I35 on occasion smells mildew like as well, my Toyota's '97 Avalon was probably worst of the imports I have had.
  • bthibodeaubthibodeau Member Posts: 5
    Need some help. I have a 2001 sienna with 13k miles. I have found in the last 2500 miles that I am hearing a lot of knocking and ping (valve noise), crunching, not during hard acceleration but just when I am loafing along at around 30-35 miles per hour then hit the gas lightly to maintain speed. My first thoughts were to increase the octane of the gasoline I use. That seemed to solve the problem initially. Now I am using 93 octane and can still here the problem. I have not taken it to the dealership yet. Can any one shed any light on this problem??
    sounds strange. sienna have a sensor to prevent this pinging/knocking problem. they are supposed to be ok to run on regular unleaded.

for myself, i use 91 octane or higher for my sienna - since day 1. in the owners manual, it says ok to run on regular but i believe it says that 91 or higher is better (recommended). i can't remember the exact wording on the manual.

i always advice my friends to get 91 or higher. if you can afford to shell out over $20,000 for a new car - don't cheap-out on the type of fuel! this is my personal opinion.
    I've had many cars that would ping under load but never just crusing down the road. I, too, have an 01 Sienna....use premium, and have never heard a ping (10k miles). Although I know what it does I've no idea what a knock sensor is (perhaps a little black box that can break?) whatever ....maybe it's not working? Sounds like you need to visit the service department.
  • infidelinfidel Member Posts: 9
    I've got a 2001 Sienna with about 4,000 miles. I noticed a problem shortly after buying it. Theres air coming into the van through the dashboard vents even though I've got the fan switch off. It blows in harder the faster the van travels. Is there a switch which closes the air intake? Thank you.
    what you described is completely normal! it's called you got ventilation/circulation! u can turn this off by switching to "re-circulate" from "fresh air". when u switch to "re-circulate", you are basically re-circulating the air inside your van and not drawing in fresh air which you may find stuffy sometimes. doing this will also result in fogging up your windows in cold weather.

the lever to switch from fresh to re-circulate is above your fan controls. u slide it left and right. if you are unsure, instructions are in your owners manual.

normally, i find leaving it on fresh air is the best except when i'm using my a/c.
  • infidelinfidel Member Posts: 9
    Like, take off! To the Great White North!HaHa!

Seriously, thanks for the advise. Although I dont know if it'll work. I dont have a manual switch. I have a pushbutton set up which I believe is for the A.C. only. However, I'll try it in the morning!
    if you have the push button type, you should still have one for fresh air and one for recirculate.

i have not seen one japanese vehicle with no fresh and recirculate lever or button. on american cars, some have an actual lever for you at the vents to manually close them

if everything fails, duct-tape your air vents!! :)
    many of today's cars have a button to "turn on" recirculate. This way after you shut the car off, it will automatically go to "Fresh air" next time. This is probably for those that don't understand that you need fresh air to help with fogged windows. Usually a button with a sideways "U".

Greg
    ok, i really don't know where to ask or post this so i'm doing it here. about 2 months ago, i started to notice i have these white dust particle things on my van every morning! i only see them in the morning! at first i thought they were just dust or some powder crap. when i looked closer, i can see these white particles move! yes, they move! i'm not kidding!

no matter how many times i wash the van, next morning i would see them on the roof of my van! i look up on the ceiling of my garage and i can see no such thing so i'm really puzzled what these things are and where are they coming from.

both cars in the garage have these pesky white things that moves! i know they are not ants or termites. u will only see them moving when u look up close. i look everywhere in my garage and i dont see them. they only appear on the cars!

anyone seen this or heard of this?
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    What you have there are actually millions of tiny alien spacecraft surveying your Sienna. One day, when the mother ship comes down, you may enter your garage and find your Sienna gone. I won't even tell you the horrible things those aliens do to our cars when they abduct them!!
    haha... funny.
    not laughing here. i just wanna get rid of these pesky white things.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like a variety of aphid to me, even though they usually fall out of trees, not garage rafters. Do you guys have anything like our our county extension agents? - they usually have a "bug guy" on staff. Maybe you could order some lady bugs from a garden supply place and release them in the garage.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

thanks for the suggestions. i dont have a clue about county extension agents! lady bugs? i kinda dont feel comfortable releasing any bugs anywhere in my house!

these aphids you mentioned. are they dangerous or anything like that? do you know where they come from?
    well, i just searched for aphids and i think this is what i have! i saw some pictures and looks very similar. they are white in color and really small! it says that these aphids normally are found on plants or trees.

really dont get this, my van and car are both inside a garage, no trees or plants but these pesky things keeps coming back even after i wash the vehicles!
    They aren't dangerous (neither are lady bugs - they're pretty cute). Aphids love birch trees and they leave "nectar" all over everything. Turns your car black over a few days if you park under them. Why you have them in your garage I have no clue. Your search prolly turned up some ways to kill them off (Sevin maybe?). If you heat your garage, wait till a really cold snap, and turn the heat off - maybe you can freeze 'em out. Any entomologists out there who can clue us in?

Steve
    Host

• dbarnettdbarnett Member Posts: 8
    How small are they? It may be a few Japanese assembly line workers who are putting the finishing touches on your Sienna. They aren't very big people you know.
    very strange problem alright! i read that they dont do as well in cold weather so i'm hoping they will go away on their own. seems like the very next day i wash the van, i will see these white pesky things all over the roof and the sides!

it's funny and frustrating at the same time coz everytime i wax the van - following day, i would see these bloody white stuff on the van!
    Maybe that's your problem - these are carnauba eating aphids and they're eating the new wax right off your van.

Hey, it could happen :-)

Steve
    Host

hmmm... you may have something there! carnauba eating aphids!

i'll stop waxing my van and see what happens
  • tcauthentcauthen Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a '98 Sienna from another person. When backing out of our driveway, we noticed the back brakes grinding to a halt. We had our mechanic replace the pads on the back with ceramic pads. Now when we put the van in reverse and apply the brakes, we hear a loud "thud" coming from the passenger-side rear wheel area. Has anyone else had a similar situation?
    "grinding to a halt". can you elaborate on this?
    when you say "thud", is more like a click?

reason i ask is because sienna's are known to have this certain sound when you apply your brakes when backing up. you will only hear this sound the first time u apply your brakes when backing up. when u back-up, the apply the brakes - you will hear this sound. back-up more and apply brakes, sound dont appear anymore! this is normal on sienna's.

i suspect you are heard the same sound.
  • tcauthentcauthen Member Posts: 2
    Thank you jeprox for the response. The "thud" sounds like you have just hit another car or a concrete post. It is very loud and much more than a "click". As mentioned, it sounds like it is coming from the passenger-side wheel area. I have backed out of my driveway 10+ times in a row and the same "thud" occurs. We have checked the underside of the car (as I thought maybe something not related to the brakes was shifting around) and have found nothing. It is a very frightening sound especially when you have small children around.
    hmmm, if it's that loud then it's not normal! i wonder if it's from your parking brake. you didn't mention if you use your parking brake or not.

if your parking brake cable is rusted or not lubricated well enough and you may hear this loud thud. when u release the parking brake, the shoes may still be engaged so when u move your vehicle - the brake shoes will release causing a loud "thud"!

i've seen this happen on other cars with rusted parking brake cable or rusted springs/parts inside the drum.
    you can also try jacking up your rear wheels, support it with jack stands. rotate the wheels and hit the brakes and see if you get the same results.

good luck.
    Are you sure the thud is not coming from the front? I have a thud caused by the disc brakes in the front shifting when I back up and then when going forward. This is the caliber shifting within it's cradle and is normal. If you back up and hit your brakes (thud sounds) and then back up again without going forward, does it thud again (it shouldn't)?

Greg
    My automatic sliding door warning buzzer has appeared to stop working. This is the buzzer that sounds when the door is open and you place the shift in D or R. Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks,
    Greg
  • mayerofrfmayerofrf Member Posts: 33
    1) What is it recommended to run only 5W30 weight oil? Wouldn't this cause the engine to run a little warmer? Are the oil passages really that easy to clog? Living in a climate that get's up to 120 degrees in the summer, that seems a little too thin to me.

2) Are there any differences in the older Sienna engines, compared to the 2001's? How about the rest of the drivetrain?

3) What is the advantage of having the Sienna with the towing package if there is no hitch and no external transmission cooler other than the standard one in the radiator?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
    A thinner oil will transport heat better. Usually it is a breakdown issue. Again here synthetic is better than dino. I would ask Toyota/local dealer their recommendations for you temperature.
    As for the tow package - it consists of a tranny cooler and modified cooling fan logic which will keep the fluid cooler thus helping with tranny life.

Greg
    1998-2000 sienna engines are 3.0L v6.
    2001-2002 are also 3.0L v6 but with VVT-i
    I have switched over to the synthetic. Didn't want to take any chances there. I didn't happen to notice any kind of tranny cooler. Just the usual tubes running to the bottom of the radiator. Is there supposed to be an external cooler mounted in front of the A/C condensor with this towing package?
    just wondering if any of you have this sharp squeal coming from the drive belt/pulley area when you start up the van first thing in the morning. as the engine warms up, the sound goes away completely.

our weather is starting to get colder and this sound just started about 2 weeks ago. if the weather is warm, there's no sound. it only happens when it's parked overnight and i start it in the morning.

i suspect it's the belt, maybe needs to be tighten a bit.
    To tell the truth, I quickly looked once but never really investigated this. Hmmm, well I just bought more Mobil 1 and will be doing an oil change tonight. I will check to see where my tranny lines go.

Jeprox - that's what it sounds like to me (no pun). Check the belt tension, but don't overtighten as this will cause premature bearing wear on your alternator. They also sell belt dressing in sprays that help with squealing belts.

Greg
    Keep me posted on your findings. I want to make sure that I didn't get taken by my no-nothing dealer. If there's supposed to be an external cooler, then I'm taking it right back to get it installed......along with getting the power window switches fixed.
  • headers8headers8 Member Posts: 23
    Last month, I installed an alarm system in my new Sienna CE and in the process removed the negative battery cable for about 1/2 hour.
    Just noticed in the Toyota manual now that there is notice in the SRS section saying "Do not disconnect battery cables before contacting your Toyota dealer".
    Does anyone know what the significance of this is? I am worried that I have done some damage to my SRS (though I do not get any related warning)
  • neusslneussl Member Posts: 28
    1998 to 2000 3.0 Litre engine made in Japan; standard valve timing; less complexity.

2001 to 2002 3.0 Litre engine made in USA; Variable valve timing; more complexity.

Where would you rather have your engine made?
    I thought the additional 20hp with slighlty better gas milage was due to the valiable valve timing.
    If you take a look at the Honda OYD problems thread, you'll feel much better about your Sienna. There's a ton of posts with complaints about anything and everything....brakes, a/c problems, poor milage, transmission issues, drive-train bumps and thumps, power door troubles, and shimmy above 65mph are common. I see very little of that on this thread.
    Did the oil change this weekend. Sure enough, the tranny cooler lines connect to the bottom of the radiator. Sounds like your all set.

Headers8 - sure hope there is no impact to SRS. I disconnected the battery terminals last week to clean for the winter. I can't imagine there being a problem since disconnecting the terminals is needed for maintenance or replacing the battery. Hmm, don't recall seeing that note in my manual - I'll need to check it out.

Greg