Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    lilharryjrlilharryjr Member Posts: 11
    What a great response! Thank you all very much. I'm getting that nervous kind of excitement as I become more and more conviced an M will be in my future. I'll have to drive one again though and check out the front height/ vision thing and make sure it is something that will not annoy me later.

I've checked out some of the warranty sites etc and I'd probably go with one of the Chrysler factory plans or warrantydirect.com (thanks sdmike2 seems like a great deal) This will be a big seller with the wife...

To answer some Q's about the M with the door misaligning:

No, I do not think the car was hit, I have a pretty good eye for panels and know where to look for overspray and feel for tape marks, but you never know.

Also, I did ask the dealer to warranty/ guarantee the work on the door, but when pressed to put it in writing and have a specified time period, they started getting nervous.

This M had apparently been on the lot for some time and they had it reduced to 17k and change but would not move much from this. The price seemed lower than comprable M's I had seen (this was a 99 with 32k). So that in itself made me leary.

I have a close friend whom is a SM at a Dodge/ Chryler shop and belive it or not he is a great guy, he'll get first crack at finding my M. I left the other dealer and have not been back...I wonder if it sold and how they made out.

Thanks again for all the responses I will keep you posted on how I make out
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    The M you drove -- did you check to see the seat was in the lowest position? the 8-position seats have the ability to adjust pretty high up (for the little old ladies), which might be why you were sitting so high. I can't vouce for others as I'm a woman only 5'6", but the most common comment from people regarding the roominess of this car is that is accommodates large/tall people very comfortably.
  • Options
    svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    Not only is there a 300M, but also several other Chryslers. In fact, every car in the "foreground" is a Chrysler product (although there are some other makes in the background). I think there is a Sebring Convertible, a Durango, an Intrepid, and maybe a Ram? I wonder if Chrysler paid for this?
  • Options
    muskateer3muskateer3 Member Posts: 103
    I have never been able to get the CD changer to play CDR's...period!
    I either see ERROR on the display, or they skip so badly it's unbearable.

Since you have, any pointers or recording them? What brand media are you using? Are you recording at low speed?

Thanks for any info
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Sitting at a yield sign waiting for traffic to clear, when I see a GMC 1500 pick-up coming up fast in my rearview, attempted to accelerate but no such luck, the guy hit me (had to take a few deep breathes as I am a retired police officer) the guy admitted to going too fast. I see a slight indentation on the rear bumper, but because of the wet rainy roads I will not know the extent of the damage if any. The way he hit me I anticipate a new bumper. I am also feeling the old neck thing, as I think I tensed up just before he hit me. I am always so careful with any of my cars. I was going to have my second service done on my car, now the dealer bodyshop will be getting some business.The guys who I know at the police district office were having a field day with me, wanted to put me on the breathalyzer.I used to be in charge of the breathalyzers.

God I hate GM's !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your fender bender. At least you're okay. It must be one of those days, I came pretty close to getting rear ended this morning on the freeway. Fridays are usually a little lighter than usual and we were all crusing along about 85 mph when my lane of traffic came to a dead stop. I stopped no problem but looked back to see a brand new Ford Expedition coming at me and it didn't look like he was going to stop in time. I was able to quickly edge forward as much as I could and it helped as he stopped just inches short (whew!) -- darn those SUV's and trucks!!!
  • Options
    seefiveseefive Member Posts: 7
    Did anyone catch the M Special on motorweek this morning? How were the reviews?
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Yikes! That's what it was like for us last October, but rather than see it coming, we heard tires squealing as the guy in the Volvo wagon tried to stop from about 55mph! Just enough to have our heads turned halfway, and SMASH!, a big Dodge Ram van's grill is in place of the back window! Then the smell of gasoline, a guy yelling for us to get out quickly, running to the side of the road, and then seeing how bad the damage was as gas continued to pour out and smoke came from the other car's engines! To this day, my mother and I are still a little leary on the road.

It's good that your damage doesn't seem to be all that bad, but with the rain, it might not all be visible. Such a shame it had to be a GM truck that hit you, knowing that you hate them and all(!). I hope you get it all fixed as soon as possible!

Blonda- I love our big beast, but there's a reason why I want a mid-size sedan or coupe as a first car--it's too darn big for me to drive! Not bad at all, I just like being in something smaller and easier to control.
  • Options
    Isn't on here until tomorrow at 5pm, but I'll be taping it. I really want to see the review, more so, here the exhaust in the acceleration test!

I'll check back in after I see it!
  • Options
    This is a little off topic but it deserves a comment. Last March a double murderer escaped from the Drumheller Prison here in Alberta and it made Americas Most Wanted show. He was just picked up and where? Inside the same prison he was supposed to have escaped from. He had lost 40 lbs. and had shaved off his beard. I can see an Academy Award film here. LOL
  • Options
    lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    toms99 - I can see problem areas on your front fascia. Looks like some typical sloppy dealer reassembly. Can you email those pics directly to me. I will mark the problem areas and resend them back to you. I could get them off your website but they may become too fuzzy after multiple saves.

What was the purpose of the headlight welt TSB, were you getting water in the headlamp assemblies?

ss-396@swbell.net
  • Options
    toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    I think you mentioned you need to drive clients around. If you like the 99M you may want to at least consider a 99-00 LHS. It's basically the same car (minus the PHP option and "Auto-Stick"...The feeling I get from this board is some folks like the PHP ride and some don't. Ditto with the AutoStick...some use it all the time, some forget it's there.....)

Here's something for certain...The LHS definitely has more rear leg room AND more trunk room. So if you are driving clients around, that may be more of an important factor than the PHP and AutoStick. (My "clients" are 2 kids, and the extra room is definitely a plus!)

Other than that, the cars are virtually the same, and you can do the same fun mods the M'ers do on this board. I have a 99LHS and have been having fun doing the M mods. The only problem I have had was the window motor, corrected promptly under warranty. Not bad for a 99! My original Goodyears did not vibrate, but were terrible on wet pavement. I waited until 30K miles and then bought a decent set of Michelin Pilot ZR tires.

Oh....BTW...last December my wife and I shopped around for a new car for her. We checked out the Impala and Malibu and we were unimpressed (other than the standard ABS.) The interiors "look" good, but once you start turning knobs and opening and closing stuff it has a definite cheap feel. I also checked out the Altima, but the interior felt cramped. We settled on a 2001 Concorde (with ABS and Pwr Seat) and she absolutely LOVES the car.

Think about an LHS....you won't regret it!
  • Options
    The TSB was for the "welt" or piece of rubber that surrounds the headlamp assembly. It doesn't allow water seepage, it just started coming off the lamp (unglued.) Interestingly enough I noticed parts are becoming unglued again, so a return to the dealer is in order. I will e-mail you the pics in hi-res. Your help may convince the dealer to put the facia back on correctly.
  • Options
    km99cobrakm99cobra Member Posts: 46
    The dealing is over, thank God. It's been a few days, but they ended up finding another one since they knew I was not thrilled with the first one that had the bad PCM. Overall, pretty happy with the Bright Silver beauty. My '99 300M didn't have the PHG and it had the Badyears, so this has been a real thrill carving around in the Special. Wow, does it handle better. Haven't pushed it too hard during "break-in", but seems plenty responsive and quick. Not real happy with the sound system, seems to be a little "buzzier" than my '99 during songs with a lot of deep bass. Also, the '99 had Infinity speakers which this doesn't seem to have. Did they change speakers after 1999?

Well, since I have stayed in the 300M family, I'll be sticking around here. It is a good group, even beach ;-).
  • Options
    no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    So since the prison's count must have been accurate accounting for the escape, and the "escapee" apparently never left the facility, I wonder who REALLY must have escaped?
  • Options
    Are you a closet 300M fan? If you're old enough, why don't you at least rent a brand new 300M from Dollar from time to time & see if you are plagued by problems still? I've had great times w/rentals to tide me over until I get my new wheels. Maybe take it for a weekend jaunt on the open highway to a nearby tourist trap?
  • Options
    I did like the rental Magellan... when I first saw it in the LS8s I thought "what is THIS supposed to be"? It was mounted on the side of the cd/radio like it was in a squad car or something. I had to immediately return the first rental LS (inoperative cd player) & was so frustrated I didn't attempt to figure out the Nav until my pit stop in Kingman. The Magellan saved me a lot of hassles as far as finding restaurants, antique & furniture stores by entering addresses... I never realized it could be so convenient. I didn't have to waste time looking at hard-to-see street names & addresses. It still paid to know the general route: like on the Carefree Hwy heading toward the 17 the system tried to steer me to small streets first even though I selected the mostly freeway option. It also couldn't locate the desert museum on Kinney Rd... no Kinney Rd. available. But Hertz's system was also hooked up to AAA Tour Book, and it led me there under Attractions. The diamond ratings for AAA Tour Book restaurants helped too. How come all you Phoenicians don't open up a Phoenix branch... why let sdmike/blonda/glennbp have all the fun in San Diego? :)
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Cobra---how much did Beach pay you to say that;-)-Beach-not sure if you should get another M as then the complaints may start all over again---you sure you wouldnt like a nice used Aztek a little better? I hear they are very dependable--I think its just your style---

Mikeyjohn: very funny story---I guess like a pet cat that wanted OUT, he scooted out the door and when he got hungry (like 40 pounds lighter) he came back to his home---maybe they'll go light on him for sneaking back in--

Mikey: Off topic--got a speeding ticket in the M--25 mph zone with no traffic and limited housing (obvious speed trap scenario)--got bagged doin 45--the cop thought he was being nice by writing me up for 35mph but now the surcharges kick in---any hints on a good alibi to give the judge if I decide to fight this---you have any friends in MA who can use a nice gift--;-) Doesnt hurt to ask, does it?

My M now has 34 K on the dial---one more trip to the dealer for my long list of warranty related items---small stuff but time to get them into their computers!
  • Options
    Only recently discovered the joys of Navs, so I didn't try one on my test drive (I wouldn't have appreciated it, not having any use on the test drive). I don't want to try it out until it's time to buy the M or the G35 sedan/coupe. I'm not that fond of sedans, the 300M being the notable exception. I'd like to at least feel/see the G35 coupe before I commit.
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Sorry your San Diego opportunity fell through. TRW is about 10 minutes from me, and about 2 minutes from where Blonda works. I actually went to their site today and checked the job listings. The San Diego location seems to only want rocket scientists though. :) I'm sure you'll like Petaluma. Nice area. Hey..you can always make the 7 hour drive to the south if you get REAL bored. ;)

Mike
  • Options
    I have an '01 with the CD changer. I'm not sure what you're using. There are two things that can improve the chance of CDRs working: good media, and slow burn rate. Having said that, I use crappy generic CDRs and burn at 12x and I'm still ok. lol! Are you making sure you close out the CD? The players won't read multi-session disks or CD-RWs formatted for re-write. Other than that, it just might be the player. I have a Samsung DVD player that has problems with 1/4 of the DVDs I own and rent. My Pioneer will read and play a tupperware lid if you put it in!

Mike
  • Options
    I need one for my mountain bike, not my car. ;)
  • Options
    alta_300malta_300m Member Posts: 54
    I don't know if you are aware of the GPS navigation systems that are available for the Palm and Pocket PC PDA's, but I think they are a better alternative than buying a navigation system specifically for the car.

I purchased recently through my company a Compaq IPAQ 3850 (64 MB memory, color display, 128 MB SD Card, 206 Mhz processor) and have been playing around with it a lot the past week. Its a terrific unit.

PHAROS makes PDA-based GPS navigation products for all types of PDA's including the Palm, Compaq, HP Jornada, Handspring, Casio, etc. Most of their products are also voice activated. Besides using them for your car you can also use them on business trips and even walking around town. Their website is:

www.pharosgps.com/

These products IMHO are more practical than buying a specific Navigation system just for your car, especially if you already have a PDA. My IPAQ cost approx $800 CDN and is almost top of the line for a PDA, with the addition of a GPS navigation system it could serve many other uses too and can be easily mounted in my 300m.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I agree with you on the old Goodyears. They handled like Crap. (is it OK to say that?) I changed mine out and it quickly took off .6 off the skid pad test. Not bad for a non php. I have to retest now that I have the lowering springs installed. I looking to improve to .88 hopefully. If the springs will give me another .3 off. It should tide me over until the "N" comes out.
    From what I have heard the AMP on the 01-02's on are not as good as the 99-00's. That could be the reason for the poorer sound quality.
  • Options
    My '01 has Infinity speakers, so they didn't "discontinue" them after the 99. Also, the different amp apparently started in the '02 model year. If you look at the amp in the trunk (passenger side wall) you'll see a model number that includes the letters AB or AC. The AB unit, used at least until mid '01 (and probably all of it) doesn't get much complaints. I have mated mine with a basslink and my car rocks just fine. However, there have been a TON of complaints about the sound quality in the 02s and the Special which appear to all use the AC amp. I was present when the driver of an '02 switched his AC unit for an AB unit, and the difference was significant. Of course your dealer will swear the amps are the same and they've never had a complaint. Well, if they're the same they wouldn't have changed the model letters. ;) See if they have a pre-02 on the lot and take your favorite CD in. Prove it to them that it's different and see if what they can do about it. Unfortunatly the easiest fix would be for you to go spend a couple hundred on a good amp, sell the AC amp on eBay, and maybe be out $150 or so. Sucks, but might be the best solution.

I'm not sure if this applies to only the 360 watt Infinity II system or the stock system as well.

Mike
  • Options
    achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    Was up in Anchorage this week and saw my first Special; silver, I don't know the right color name. I'll admit I was stareing, but I don't think I deserved the flip-off from the none-too-pretty woman driving it. She wasn't interesting, the car was! Duals are pretty, but it still sounded like an old man with emphysema - I'll take my Borla.
    My baby needs a bath and some TLC, but the weather is pretty and the king salmon are running. I'm off to slay fish in the morning!!!
  • Options
    lee1nyclee1nyc Member Posts: 60
    Motorweek has a segment on the 300M airing all this week. Check to see if the program airs in your area with this link.

http://www.pbs.org/mpt/motorweek/stationlist.shtml

• Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    anyone in MA do the dual exhaust mod? If so, where did you have the work done? I would like to do them soon and it would be easier to bring it someplace where they are familar with the mod.
  • Options
    kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    FYI, the speakers on the Special don't have the "Infinity" logo on them like past years. The wing speakers just have "premium sound" molded into them in small lettering.

The sound of the system on my car is fine as far as I'm concerned but the bass IS definitely lacking INSIDE. I was washing the car one day and had the stereo going. What I noticed is that all the bass sounds like it's going OUTSIDE the vehicle. Makes me wonder if that AC rev amp has some sort of phase error in it. That can account for weak bass inside because the speakers are moving out of phase and canceling out the bass.
  • Options
    Actually, in a word, yes! I'm still not thrilled with the experience we had with our 2000, but would love to have a new one, especially a black Special! With some mods, of course!

Hmm...wonder what kind of a deal can be a had on a used 99' or 00' late this fall...
  • Options
    I too get the "error" message about half the time. Usually if I eject the disk and then slide it in again it's OK. I have noticed changes in the weather (temperature) seem to make the player more finicky. I would recommend buyng a variety of media (imation, fuji, philips, etc.) just in small packs of 3 just to try. I found that the Philips (the ones that say "designed especially for audio) work best.

Interestingly, I have a Pioneer 12 Disk changer in the trunk. If a CD-R is real stubborn and absolutely won't play in the stock head-unit player I can always throw it in the changer and it works like a charm!
  • Options
    That sure is odd that some of you can play them in your M and some can't. To tell you the truth, I'm somewhat of a computer whiz and still haven't even burned a music CD myself, mainly because this POS Compaq PC doesn't work. I'd sure like to be able to do it though.
  • Options
    There count was correct as they had him as an escapee, now they are going to charge him with attempted escape. That should go over like a lead balloon. Apparently AMW is going to do a long segment in the near future as they have never heard of such a thing. Some red faces at the prison.

Easy, I have one solution, plead insanity, it might help. It didn't work for me when photo radar got me but give it a chance. LOL. If you ever plan on coming to my neck of the woods, they are now looking at upping traffic fines and points. As an example, red light is $50.00 to be $500.00,same for passing a vehicle stopped for a pedestrian in a crosswalk. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how much speeding tickets will cost. It goes through the roof. No insurance has been $2600.00 for about 2 years and when I was a rookie it was around $100.00. The poor government needs money.
  • Options
    ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Any of you guys with the AC amp and want an AB amp there is one on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1829000435

• Options
    I really don't have anything against SUV's and trucks. I actually own a SUV ('89 Isuzu Trooper with hugh tires) and my father is a die hard 4x4 GM truck owner. He keeps his trucks for years and meticuously maintains them -- never has had a single major problem with any of them. He actually got rear ended in his 89 4x4 step side Chevy by some kids going about 70mph. Blew the window out and he had cuts on his face. No other major problems and the truck was fixed like new (he also got a pretty hefty settlement from their insurance company too). When I first started driving the Trooper the best thing about it was how high you sit and the visibility -- but then again it has it's downside. You can look down into other cars and I've seen some things I'd rather not see (guess people get bored in stop and go traffic!) I will occasionally drive the Trooper when I need to haul something or on rare occasions I let my hubby take the M. It's still fun to drive in it's own way....but I much prefer the M!
  • Options
    Usual (at least in the US) several physical counts are held every day to make sure no one has escaped or died. If X facility has a population of 100 inmates but one escaped, they would count 99 physical bodies (+ 1 escapee who was no longer there = 100). If a clever inmate changed his appearance but never left the facility, there would still be 100 inmates there, and a picture/ID card check should immediately reveal who was out of place. OTOH if there were supposed to be 100 on the count but only 99 were there (and the assumed escapee switched places with another inmate by changing his appearance) it still sounds like 1 inmate is missing, just a different one. I'd love to see that special.
  • Options
    Well it may seem quick but I know I really wanted one and my buddy Ed at Bell Dodge/ Chrysler HOOKED me up nice. I went to their web site www.bellauto.com and found it:

99' 300m 38k, PHG, Infinity Group (sweet sound), Slate Black...$16,500.00.

My wife loves it, I do to...This car is CLEAN to. Looks brand new. I'm excited. Thanks again everyone...

Any other suggestions for a new owner or comments on the price let me know
  • Options
    I have a 90 Trooper w/234,000+ miles on it. No intention of unloading it in the foreseeable future; I love its truck like ride & the superior view when going to places like Death Valley. The only downside (beside the lack of safety features) is that I had the a/c system converted to the new stuff years ago when I was told about repair costs. The a/c system is just miserable in this desert sun in the summer.
  • Options
    Well the ac is the one thing that doesn't work anymore. A couple years ago it started putting out warm air. We went for the standard AC service and they told us it couldn't be fixed and wanted $500 to replace it. We decided, since we didn't use the air that much anyway to just go without (never really was that efficient...I agree). It is a drag though sometimes as one of our favorite places to go is San Felipe in baja. Temps can get to over 100 (we don't go in summer when it's ever hotter) which isn't a problem until you have to sit idling for a couple hours going back through the border -- we are getting used to just sweating it out. We have about 130k on ours (the odometer/speedometer switch actually burned out a few years ago and we didn't replace it for at least a year and a half -- got some "free" miles on that one). Only thing we don't like about it is the clutch has a tendancy to wear out easily. We have had to replace it twice already and it's not a cheap repair -- mechanics always comment on how expensive the parts are.
  • Options
    Congrats on your purchase. My 99 is also a deep slate and it's a beautiful color (and discontinued too). You got to get yourself some Z5 amd Z2 Zaino -- you won't believe how much better it will look. If the windows aren't tinted yet, adding that will make it look even better. Enjoy!
  • Options
    Well it may seem quick but I know I really wanted one and my buddy Ed at Bell Dodge/ Chrysler HOOKED me up nice. I went to their web site www.bellauto.com and found it:

99' 300m 38k, PHG, Infinity Group (sweet sound), Slate Black...$16,500.00.

My wife loves it, I do to...This car is CLEAN to. Looks brand new. I'm excited. Thanks again everyone...

Any other suggestions for a new owner or comments on the price let me know
  • Options
    please do not buy a 300M
  • Options
    Let the mods begin!! First thing you'll want to do is get some Zaino car polish (in my opinion). It'll make that black beauty shine like a mirror. I have some pictures of my Inferno Red '01 treated with Zaino here: http://community.webshots.com/album/38199629wAYLCV

Congrats on getting the PHP too. You'll appreciate it in the curves, and you'll appreciate the fact that you dont' have the goodyear tires. There are lots of mods you can make to your car. Here are just some of them... http://community.webshots.com/user/bigred300m

Mike
  • Options
    I have a feeling this guy was going to lose lots of weight and completely change his appearance to maybe that of a guard and just walk out the place. He was found hiding in the heating ducts with a package of cookies and a bottle of tums.If you watch the segment on AMW you will see how he had already changed his appearance. I want to be his agent, this appears to be a winner. I can see an M commercial in the works with the barn and hay!!!!!!!
    I think they should check the heating ducts at Alcatraz for those guys from the 60's I wonder if their cookies and tums are stale? LOL
  • Options
    Any idea when the AMW segment is expected to air?
  • Options
    Good job! A slate 99' with PHP is a very nice car, indeed. Our 2000 was slate and we very much liked it, even though it was the typical black hot & hard to maintain. But, absolutely gorgeous when sparkling!

Have you driven this one yet? What kind of a price did you get?

Good luck!
  • Options
    Oh, don't fret it too much! I had been thinking about it for quite some time, but there are still many other cars out there that I like even more, yet can get a better price on. Boy, you'd just love if I got an M though! Who knows, maybe it'd be absolutely perfect to compensate for the first bad one we had?!

Matter of fact, I don't have the slightest clue as to what I'll get. I still need to work and save a little more this summer, then I'll start looking sometime this fall hopefully. Most likely used and 2 or 3 years old, but other than that, it's all up in the air!

Tires- Hey, I remember some time ago, you had mentioned ordering/buying some new stuff for your tires because Zaino didn't seem to last very long. I've been going through a few different products with my little car detailing venture, but still haven't found one that lasts that long or at least keeps the tires black very long. What do you use?
  • Options
    I just read it in the paper this morning so I have no idea when it will air. I think they will send out a film crew, so sometime in the future. They may say something about it to-night. I bet this gets more coverage than just AMW.
  • Options
    Just went to the dealer website and took a look! Beautiful car! Looks immaculate and with 38k miles, $17,900 doesn't seem all that bad. Good luck!
  • Options
    I use the Zaino wheel dressing and I'm real happy with it. I only use one coat now, as putting two on makes it a bit too glossy for me. I've never had a problem with the wheels throwing the dressing onto the paint, unlike poor Dr. Pixel with the stuff he used.

M