Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    Got my Roman Numeral Clockface last week and installed it over the weekend:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tsokol5/clockfaces.htm

Thanks, Scotian !

Man, you save EVERYTHING!

That document is buried somewhere on my computer, but you found it first! I should post it on my web page, along with the Wheelskins "Baseball Stitch" instructions.

I'm finally starting to get some of my pics more organized. Here's my updated car page:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tsokol5/99.htm

• achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    I suppose it depends on what you want it to do. Ageing eyes and handheld screens just don't work for me. The Palm/Magellan and others of that size and type are ok for sitting somewhere and figuring out how to get someplace else or for just knowing where you are. It has very little memory, so you have to choose your maps carefully. High functionality units with voice direction are spendy and, I suspect, will need constant software upgrades to keep the maps current. I can't see putting much effort and money into anything other than a top of the line unit with voice direction if you're really using it to tell you how to get someplace in a fast-moving vehicle. Even in the relatively sedate speed range of my boat - 20 to 40 mph - there's lots of times I just rely on looking around and buy the time to figure out what the chartplotter is telling me. There's a helluva lot less to hit in the waters of SE Alaska than on the freeways you guys are talking about using GPS to get around on. In sum, I see it as a great trip planning and figureing out where you are tool. It isn't a navigation tool in a car unless you go absolutely top of the line. But, I could be wrong!
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I have an internet cellphone from ATT wireless---if I get lost I can go on the internet and get directions from point A to point B---no its not GPS but in an emergency, it comes in handy--no voice , but if I dont have a map it can be lifesaver.. ATT also offers a phone number to a neat service that understands voice commands and can give you street directions, phone numers, sports scores, lottery results, movie times and locations and lots of other neat stuff.

ER
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I was the director of product marketing for the company that provides that service to ATT - Vicinity Corporation. I'm still peeved at the company, but it's some great technology. http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020514/sftu019_1.html

When I left we were working on perfecting the technology that allowed the system to know exactly where you are so you only had to enter the destination address/name.
    Mike
    ..The advantage of using a system like ATT's is that the hosting company maintains all of the map data on their servers. It's extensive, thorough, and constantly updated. It's not always perfect, but it's significantly more current than the information that you get on CDs. Everyone gets their data from the same sources (e.g. GDT, Navtech), and sometimes the CDs can be 6 months or more behind because of production times.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Rogor2K-- Can't find no stinkin number, just the one originally posted. Can you list the new one here?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Sounded good while it lasted-

http://www.auto.com/industry/dcx21_20020521.htm

fastdriver
    Did anyone ever consider pulling over and (gasp!) asking for directions?

:-)
  • achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    Real men don't ask directions!!!!!
  • turtle8081turtle8081 Member Posts: 7
    Any suggestions on a good product that can fix a tear in my leather seat. I have a slight nick in my rear seat about 1/4 inch long. Any advice on how to repair it?

What is the best way to get a hold of Scotian for custom a custom clock face. I tried his posted email but no luck.
  • andy300mandy300m Member Posts: 95
    a point about memory: I have 32MB main memory on my device, and 128 mb CF Card where I store my maps. Right now I have maps of Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wisconsin, New York, Parts of NJ, and BC Canada loaded on my card. These are NavTech maps.

I could have gotten 1GB microdrive for my PPC, like I did for my digital camera if I needed additional storage.
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    What a load of c**p that article was in relation to Canadians not having the money for these cars.It is due to the deflated rate of our dollar versus the US dollar. Our dollar is strong on the world market and as the price of gold went up the US dollar is going down and our dollar this morning is gaining strength. I just wish these so called writers and spokespersons would check their facts before they make comment.If I lived in the US and was looking for a new car, I would be flying up here right now and buying a new DC vehicle and save probably thousands of dollars until DC pulls the plug. Dealers here were having quite a problem of curbers buying PT Cruisers when they were the fashion, and transporting them to Arizona to dealers and making a good profit. It appear now that you have to sign some sort of form that you will not sell the car over the border. I don't know how much that would stand up in court.
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    The number is 313/436-9600. It is listed on the Club site; you maybe needed to "reload" or "refresh" the page.
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    < ...a lot of products in the Finesse-it line...

Right. Just in case anyone wants to try the "factory" stuff, it's 3M Finesse-It Final Finish part # 051144-82877, in a 32 oz squeeze bottle.
    Text on the back includes:
    "Recommended ...for removing buffing swirl marks and haze on OEM paints."
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I agree with achance, You get the best. I still like my Alpine DVD unit. The only drawback is that it takes takes me 15 minuts to change it to another vehicle. I am in the process of getting another antenna for my other vehicle so that it should only take two minuts to do. God bless quick connect fasteners. Just unlug three plugs disconnect two wing nuts and take it to the other vehicle and reverse the process.
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    I found the Z5 works great on my deep slate; however I do have a kazillion coats (probably about 15 of Z5/Z2 combined in the past year and a half)so it does take at least 5 coats of the Z5 to notice a big difference. What I did discover though is that you DO need to use fabric softner on the cotton towels, contrary to what Sal Zaino says. I was starting to find that the towels themselves (after quite a few washings) were making fine scratches. I started using Downey Enhancer (which is a different type of liquid softner then the standard--also eliminates wrinkles in clothes) in the rinse cycle, and no more scratches. The towels seem to be as absorbent as before, but since I use the CA Waterblade, I don't need them too much anyway.

One thing about the Z5 though is it does go on thicker than the Z2; therefore I go through twice as much as that as the Z2.
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Do I assume correctly that the bumper facias and side moldings("soft parts") come pre-painted from the supplier?

That would explain a slight variation in color if the paint mix was a bit off at either plant.
    1. I can't reach my license unless you hold my beer.(OK in Texas)
    2. Sorry, Officer, I didn't realize my radar detector wasn't plugged in.
    3.Aren't you the guy from the Village People?
    4. Hey, you must've been doin' about 125 mph to keep up with me. Good job!
    5. Are You Andy or Barney?
    6. I thought you had to be in relatively good physical condition to be a police officer.
    7. You're not gonna check the trunk, are you?
    8. I pay your salary!
    9. Gee, Officer! That's terrific. The last officer only gave me a warning,too!
    10. Do you know why you pulled me over? Okay, just so one of us does.
    11. I was trying to keep up with traffic. Yes, I know there are no other cars around. That's how far ahead of me they are.
    12. When the Officer says "Gee Son....Your eyes look red, have you been drinking?" You probably shouldn't respond with,"Gee Officer your eyes look
    glazed, have you been eating doughnuts?"
  • andy300mandy300m Member Posts: 95
    well, yes they are the best because you can get an LCD display as large as you want etc. but for the price. My investment was $300 for the GPS add on, which is a good buy for me. I did not want to spend $2K on a Nav system that I would only use from time to time.
    OK, got the refresher course, and the correct number from Rick Stilp. Reservations are made. I plan on getting in on the 15th so I can be sure to get to the Chrysler museum this time. Missed it last year. That will give me Friday to see the auto auctions, and other stuff going on Friday, or, er...maybe seeing my wife's in-laws. Not.
    Otto-- All booked into the Holiday in for the 18th and 19th. Looking forward to the plant tour and a few LaBatt Blues with youse.
    I sure enjoy these sayings it makes my day. This is a true story-sitting in a patrol car at a red light, an old man left a service station lot and drove into the drivers side of our car. (new in service that day) I was passenger and I exited the police car and walked around to the drivers window and the old guy looked at me and said "It didn't take you guys long to get here" There's a million stories out there and some are funnier than others.
    hahahahaha. Was it a case of too many gas fumes, too many whiskeys, or maybe just DWO (driving while old)?
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Looks like we're going to have a great turnout for the August meet. Hampton Inn said they already had 12 rooms taken + me. Those planning on going to Brampton, don't forget your visas or birth certs. Kind of interested to see what kind of security situation we'll run into, especially coming back through.

Of course they could just be in awe of the M's and just wave us through.lol

Rick
  • detroit01mdetroit01m Member Posts: 7
    I'm new to the board.

I bought my M a few months ago and am excited to discover so many people share my love for this car.

I live near the area for the dream cruise, its always a great time.

Since I won't be staying in the hotel with the rest of you. Can you post a time and place where local M owners can meet up with the group? I'd love to get some ideas on mods for my M and join in the M cruise.

Thanks.
    It was definately DWO!!!!!!!!!
  • videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Ok, I've tested my Pharos Pocket PC GPS system www.pharosgps.com for a little while now and am very happy with it. It's basically a kit which contains the GPS unit, necessary cables, and mapping software. It uses Ostia for it's software. Although it doesn't seem quite as robust as Destinator, it does just fine for me. The entire system only cost $199.95 at CompUSA and I had to buy a flash card (I got the 32 meg but could get more) which was $29.00. These prices DON'T include the Compaq iPAQ 3635 Pocket PC which I purchased on EBAY for $275.

The kit comes with 4 CDs. 1 for the application software and 3 with maps. You can choose maps by state and then by cities within the state. The number of maps you can hold in your Pocket PC depends on the size of the flash card you have. I can hold 3 sets of maps with my 32 meg card. You can hold a maximum of 10 maps at one time if you have the storage.

Once the application and maps are installed, you hook up the GPS unit and put it on your dashboard. It will automatically find your position with global satellites which takes about 30-60 seconds. A little animated face goes from a frown to a smile when the GPS is fixed on your position.

You can choose an address by entering a street name, then choose a city with zip code from the list it creates, then choose a street number from the list it creates. (If you don't know the address, you can look up an intersection) It will then ask if it's an Origin or Destination. If you choose Destination, you can choose Create New Route and it will create a route from where you're at to the destination point. I will admit, sometimes it doesn't choose the best route, but a route that will indeed get you to where you're going. What I would do is travel the way I know that will get me going towards my destination and the software will automatically create a new route based on where I'm going. That is so cool. Also, if you go off course, a voice prompt tells you that you are off route, then it will create the new route.

The map has a red arrow (which is you) that animates along the streets as you're driving. (Safety first..don't watch the animation while driving. It could be hazardous to your health.)

There's a voice prompt that tells you that you're coming up to a right or left turn soon. Then a little "ding" sounds when you're at the street to turn on. On the bottom of the iPaq screen, you'll see the distance (how far away) the turns are. When you arrive at your destination, the voice prompt tells you this too.

An extra feature is looking up points of interest such as malls, parks, attractions, colleges, shopping centers, stadiums, zoos, etc. This is nice if you're traveling out of town and need to find any of these items.

Being in the video business, we do a lot of on-location shoots and I think this little gadget will really help me get to where I'm going. Even though most clients give me directions, they usually stink. My GPS system will be a nice backup. And best of all, when my iPAQ is done showing me the way, I can use it for appointments, contacts, accounting, notes, voice recording, etc. etc. etc.

One last thing....

The teleprompter guy who did a shoot with us today could have used one of these systems. He was 45 minutes late because he missed an exit on the highway. In our business, time is money and I think this GPS system is money well spent.
  • lilharryjrlilharryjr Member Posts: 11
    Before another question thanks again to the board on the swirl Q! (ie mike(of course) silver and wire2)
    This next one has me perplexed/ slightly annoyed, slightly aching in the head and may irk me forever...Today was sunny and I had a mid morning appointment about 50mi away, heading east. The glare was unreal...Same thing on the way home (west bound late afternoon), regardless of where the sun was. From what I "saw" today this must be a somewhat common question...What to do about the sun glare? (I had thought about a dark towel on the dash or something...but looks wise?)

ps is there a way to do a search on previous posts? The search feature seems very poor...
    Mike, I think you had found this guy's Intrepid site:

http://www.geocities.com/custom_lh/

Not only has he done the AirCharger and put in Prowler Pro gears in his 3.2L (he's got complete pics of the gear install...) now he is welding in a turbo-charger....!!!! It's fascinating to watch and learn from what he's doing.....

Before another question thanks again to the board on the swirl Q! (ie mike(of course) silver and wire2)
    This next one has me perplexed/ slightly annoyed, slightly aching in the head and may irk me forever...Today was sunny and I had a mid morning appointment about 50mi away, heading east. The glare was unreal...Same thing on the way home (west bound late afternoon), regardless of where the sun was. From what I "saw" today this must be a somewhat common question...What to do about the sun glare? (I had thought about a dark towel on the dash or something...but looks wise?)

ps is there a way to do a search on previous posts? The search feature seems very poor...
    check the www.300mclub.org site, there is a discussion thread re: this. Do you have the camel interior? Seems to be a bigger problem with that color. Also avoid high gloss conditioners/cleaners (i.e. Armora1l) on the dash. I have the agate interior and it's not a problem for me at all.
    Polarized sunglasses!! It'll kill the glare dead.
    Yeah, I've been looking at that site. Lots of information. Thanks!
    Thanks much...again! I'll check the M club site next and buy polarized specs tomorrow (had a great pair for fishing but "don't-do-it-nated" them to Neptune...this will be a good excuse to get some new one's for "driving only", I think I might also have to keep a reel in the new M...
    Blonda: BTW Agate interior...though I've seen the camel and it looks sweet...next M for sure
    planning your next M already <g> ??

Here's a look at my interior:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tsokol5/interior.htm

One of the things I like about the camel interior is at least it matches the headliner....

My wife has agate in her Concorde, but the damn headliner is biege....

.................Celtics Rule!................
    ...................93-86......................

Yes!!---series all tied up....This is the year for Boston Sports teams...

and now back to our topic of discussion........
    dont forget that there is a Chrysler-Dodge day at the Museum of Transportation in Brookline on May 26th--this Sunday---about 40 classic cars ---refreshments on site...$5 admission fee includes entrance to the main museum building as well as the lawn event...

click here for more information about the museum:

http://www.mot.org/index_flash.html

Check out the www.300Mclub.org web site. There are a lot of us that have modded out our M's. I am in the process of updating my site, and hopefully it shoud be up to date (meaning at least within 3 weeks) of showing what I have done. I just got some 300M suff off of Ebay for the M. Always future mods. Sorry Ajpiii, but I needed that piece.
    Aw..c'mon....Don't keep us in suspense...What stuff you get? What mods ya gonna do...?????
    Well, Maybe it's Boston's year....but don't count out the Nets or the Yankees...

NJ-Tom
  • no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    Question: when approaching a freeway exit, does the voice prompt tell you something like "approaching exit on the right (or left) in 1 mile, so you don't have to guess which lane to head for? And what kind of distance warnings for your impending turn does it give? 2 miles? 1 mile?
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Kosh- yup all the fascias ,door handles ,side mouldings and lower cladding are painted by outside manufacture's. So yes it can be off color.

bigmike5 - good to hear ,you will at the cruise and tour. Sorry ,have to pass on the blue. Now if your wanting a good beer , Molson Canadian is the way to go. Because I AM !! (its a Canadian thing)LOL

rstilp- as long as you have a birth certificate or passport , you should have no problems.

Don't forget to stop off at duty free on your way in to Canada and buy cheap beer coming in . When you see 40$ for a 2-4 at our beer stores up here you will be glad you did.
    I got the two fake wood dash pieces, the center radio bezel (mine was destroyed) and the head lamp switch) I am thinking of trying to add guages (If I can not find a pilller pod) in the fake wood strip along with some switches (I love lighted switches). It will allow me to play with colors without messing up my current one. The bezel and will replace my broken one later, and the switch is to see if I can add to it. I also got some H3 bulbs (for the fog lamps) to experiment with.
    If I drive out for the tour will the factory buff out my fine scratches for me? ;)
    How many pieces....large OR small...are sitting in a box in your garage because you have no idea where they went when putting the car back together?
    Long ago I got a Dash Mat for about $30 in black from Autozone. They are custom fitted and they had them in two styles. One has a rug like texture and the other was like velvet. I opted for the rug like style and it cuts glare pretty well; but I think I would go with the velvet style if I had it to do over. But, it does fit the dash very well and has some velcro hold downs to place on the plastic area. It is easy out for vacuuming and it slides right back in and on to the velcro holds.
    Actually I have two boxes of parts, but they are the intake parts I took off, head lights for an 300M. LHS, and Concorde, emblems for 300M, 300F, super bee, and a few others. I have an extra mustange hood scoop, plus one for a 70 dart. Not to mention my old springs, and other parts I took off.
    My 300M is missing only one screw for the side kick panel. Not bad for all the stuff I have done. I just keep the parts in order and organized with working on them (mods).
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Just curious...How do you get the new clock face behind the hands of the clock? Do you set the hands at 12 o'clock and slide a hole in the center over the hands? Very nice personalization. Many of my first time passengers comment on the "nice clock", so that is a good place to add a personal touch.

Silver