Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Glad to hear it worked so well. I still need to do the rear transmission mount (longer bolts).
  • ducati52ducati52 Member Posts: 12
    >>Hey Dr--If they are going to use a general anesthesia...er...put you to sleep for a while, make sure they mark the correct knee before they put you under.<<

I had my left knee 'scoped about a month ago. After shaving it, the nurse handed me a permanent marker and asked me to write my initials just above the correct knee. As long as they operate on the one with the owner's initials, I guess they're covered liability-wise. ;-)

No personalized plates on my 300M, but I have a '59 Triumph TR-3 that reads "TRIFIC" and a red Ducati street bike that reads "RSTME" (a takeoff on the term "Arrest-me red", not an taunt to the local constabulary.)
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    for a successful procedure and a speedy recovery. We'll have you out jogging in da Park in no time. I had my annual checkup today. My doc is bugging me to get the "old guy" procedure (which suffice to say will not be described here to protect our gentle posters' sensibilities.)

Regards, Silver
  • videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    I've been wanting to do this for quite a few weeks and it will finally happen tomorrow. It seems like every time I get a few extra bucks in my pocket, some event or bill takes it away. Well, it looks like I finally got caught up and will be one of the many with the added wood trim.

I'll be ordering it from Joshua Tree because of the many recommendations here. I think I'm gonna order the 17 piece kit for $199. The only things missing will be the LHS console trims and the two door trims. No big deal for me. Certainly not worth the extra $50 for those peices.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Let us know how it goes. Just remember....dry fit everything, and attach it carefully. Once stuck it's almost impossible to get unstuck.
  • videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Thanks for the warning Mike. I just hope everything fits fine and nothing has to be returned.

Also, aside from the future dual exhaust, I'm looking at a rear wing/spolier. I saw this on ebay. Has anyone heard of this guy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1832322756&r=0&t=0

• bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Got mine from Dawn Enterprises on the net. Similar to the one on the E-bay auction. No 3rd light. I always caution the guys rotating tires, etc. to be careful lowering the trunk lid because it does not need to be slammed. I let it go from about a foot and it falls and closes by itself. It opens about the same as before, and staying up is not a problem because of the way they angled the lid. Installation took my Ziebart guy about 20 minutes. He buys exclusively from Dawn because he has found that the paint match is exact and always well done. Had mine 2+ years and real happy with the style and appearance.
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    That picture is lifted from the Sportwing website - identical to what they offer.

http://www.sportwing.com/spoilers/

But the price so far is slightly better than what Sportwing is selling it for.

• toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    Make sure all the pieces are nice and warm....leave them all spread out on your dash in the hot sun...mine took just 5-10 minutes to heat up...the pieces get real flexible. This is important to the install. Here's some pics of my install:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tsokol5/wood_trim.htm

• drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Silver: 'old guy' precedure? I'm ONLY 53! Do you mean colonoscopy?....ewwwwwww! My schweetie (NOT my 300m, i300Mike..) has been pushing me to have THAT done. I have a real problem with a rubber hose being...well, y'all git the pitcha, dontcha?

To ALL...thanks (sniff...) from the bottom of the (HONK) ol' Doc's heart for all of you kind wishes and thoughts. Each time I go under the knife, it spooks the dalights out of me. You never know if you're actually going to wake up these days. While this will be my 5th surgery since 1995, I'm not to thrilled about having to have it done, but whats the Doc to do, right?

AJPIII: watch the mail for a diskette mailer, NOT an envelope. I thought the cardboard mailer would be a little more durable. Sent Roger a package with some pre-printed blank certificates, extra certificate paper, clibgys, etc, etc, etc. Sent it out Saturday morning and he saisd he hadn't gotten it yet. Since I had to print out some more stuff for him, I was only able to get it in the mail on saturday. He'll be taking over membership package production while I'm laid up and away from my, uh...er....Bank supplied 'toys'. From last week-when I ceased production of membership packages, we've gotten 8 new members-two of which are of the fairer (and according to my schweetie...SMARTER) sex.
    I wanted to get a vanity plate once : IMA-DV8
    but they wouldn't let me....wonder why......
    maybe DRPIXEL?!...
    Wife wanted to get NDSPOT (end spot..) cause thats where we always look to park!

type to youse later,
    Doc
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    I had bought some Kvr cross drilled rotors and went to have them put on yesterday but my mechanic told that the front rotors were too small... I ordered the 282mm size because I believe I have a non-php car... verified by the top speed limiter almost daily... Does anyone know the rotor size for a php car ? I thought it was 297mm which is only around a half inch difference... my mechanic said he put the old and new rotors next to each other and saw an inch to an inch and a half difference... Yikes !! What rotors do I have on my car ???????

Oh yeah I measured the new rotors and they were definately 282mm...
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I used to drive my 300M (as well as Grand Prix GTP, and Buick Riviera) in NYC a lot. I parked it on the street and in the parking garages. Never had any problems, did not even get any dents. Although I always worried about it. You just need to know where the bumps and the potholes are and adjust your path. :)

I think the only dent I got on my 300M was in Yonkers, in a grocery store parking lot.

I used to ride the subway all the time and it was fine. The only time I hated it was when I had to take #4 or #5 to Brooklyn - too many loonies talking to themselves.

Although I always preferred walking to taking the subway (or a smelly cab for that matter) - used to walk almost every day from Grand Central to Park Avenue South and 23rd.

And also I do think that NJ drivers are crazy. Maybe because they are so scared of NY that they go nutz.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Sorry, a little late on this one. The spoiler on my '01 does seems to prevent my trunk from raising up on its own. I have to help it raise up, but it does stay up. Which is a small price to pay since it makes the car look better.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    (Late on this one too)...I can't believe an Expedition had RACEME on them! That's like putting them on a tank. I'm sure that driver has been creamed many times, that Triton engine still isn't fast, just heavier.
    I got lucky on my personal plates, but I tried for creative. I got my first request...AUS M PWR.
    (the 'M' has double meaning)I've got a lot of good comments on them, and a few races at the stop lights.
    According to this DC specification guide... http://us.media.daimlerchrysler.com/special/2001carryover/Chry_300M_SP.pdf the front rotors are 297 x 26 (11.7 x 1.02 in inches)...the same as the PHG rotors. The rears are 270 x 12 on both PHG and non-PHG.
    Did you have to be so graphic? LOL
    I did not mean to imply that you are in any way old, but you do seem to be a high mileage model based on the wear and tear on your body. ;>)

Silver
    I'm a 1961 model year, but I suffer from excessive wear and tear due to faulty materials and workmanship. I've been driven a bit too hard too. ;)
    I noticed that the red LED no longer blinks after setting the car alarm. It was working before the 5* replaced the BCM. The service advisor ignored my first two messages, so I called another SA and he said they could program that function in if I will come back. I love this car, but the dealer service is still a question mark. There is a very good 5* in Plano, but that is a long way to go, and no coffee shop within miles.

Silver
  • km99cobrakm99cobra Member Posts: 46
    I think you said you have the Bright Silver. What color interior? I have the silver with dark slate gray interior, which I like except the gray "carbon fiber" looks a little lame to me the more I look at it. It doesn't even seem to be a typical carbon fiber style appearance. What does yours look like, any pics? May have to do a brushed aluminum or other replacement carbon fiber style, any thoughts along those lines?
    can you exchange them for the 297 size? It could also be they sent you the wrong ones to begin with.
    Discount Dash sells molded kits that will cover everything. Glennbp installed a carbon fiber one in his silver/slate '01 and it looks great.
    more like "excessive tire wear"
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Same thing happened to eMily when they replaced the BCM (thats Body Control Module, not Bowel Control Movement..--though based on the -2* dealer, well..nuff said..). You'd a thunk that they would know to do that...sheesh.
    I gues you would think I'm a high mileage model based the number of repairs I've had. allow me to explain--briefly?...1995: while exiting the men's room, a worker in the building helping out with the DEstruction of the floor came barrela**ing IN through the door as I reached for the door handle. This resulted in hyperextension of my left wrist. Unbeknownst to me, I had broken 2 bones and tore several ligaments. SURGERY #1
    1996: While returning BACK to the Bank, I fell on Nassau Street (some of you may know this street), RE-breaking my wrist and fracturing my ankleSUGERY #2 on wrist..removal of 1/2 inch bone--wide open surgery, brace on ankle
    199* something: After limping due to massive pain in ankle/foot, surgery on left foot to repair destroyed tendons in foot: SURGERY #3
    199* something-later...Ultrasound of left foot revealed a massive ganglion cyst-result of damage not discovered during first SURGERY #4
    2002-tomorrow...As a rsult of limping for 1 1/2 years, left knee cartilage/menial miniscus damaged SURGERY # 5

Sad, isn't it? I sometimes feel like the $60,000 man--we can re-build him..My lawyer neighbor says 'if this had happened OUTSIDE the Bank, ' could retire a rich man', but since its a Workmans comp case, who knows WHAT, if ANYTHING I'll wind up with. Workman's Comp lookas at your body like a piece of meat: the little finger is worth say $1K if you loose it, the thumb say $5K, but loose the whole hand, and the total sum may be worth $20K. Doesn't matter if you're a brain sturgeon operating on people's cranial matter , or whether you're a guy making sandwiches at Subway.
    (I'll now get down off of my soapbox--we return to our regularly scheduled Forum postings...)

the Doc
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    I am the worst painter in the world. I flunked finger painting in kindergarten and haven't gotten any better over the years. I have tried twice now with every method I could think of and I don't like the results. I may be the first "idiot" to spend the bucks on the engine plenum dress up kit from the Prowler guys at Autotronics. If I do, I'll take pics and let you all know.
  • bb_lhs_2kbb_lhs_2k Member Posts: 94
    The spoiler on ebay as well as many out there specified for the "LHS" are actually "Universal" spoilers that fit the car, but not 100%.

The one I found that was designed for the LHS specifically and has a third brake light, also matches the contour of the car perfectly is this one:

http://www.spoilerdepot.com/Catalog.asp?A=20&S=15122.jpg&idProduct=140&idB=

Hey Doc--Better hope the surgeon has a legitimate 5* rating.
    does anyone know if this is the part number for the php struts

FRONT RIGHT: 0478778AA
    FRONT LEFT : 04782779AA
    REAR :04782781AA

Thanks for any info...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major daily newspaper is writing a story about collision damage insurance, and is looking to talk with drivers who have run into deer or moose. "In most states, such an encounter is not covered by comp. or collision damage insurance; you need special coverage. I want to talk to people who have had these collisions and learn how they handled them. Likewise, I'd also like to hear from people who were involved in some other sort of incident involving their auto and found out that insurance they thought they had was not there." Please respond no later than Monday, June 3 to paudel2001@msn.com and/or jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks as always!

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

sdmike, do you know if this could have changed between the 99 and 01 ... I remember seeing somewhere that there were two sizes... I'm going to measure the ones on the car later today... Solve this once and for all...
    I can only find the specification guides for the 2000 and 2001 model years, so I don't know for sure about the size on the 99's. Sorry.
    Part numbers (from 300Michael)

Isolator - 4581182AB
    Rear strut - 4895001AE
    R/F strut - 4782110AD
    L/F strut - 4782111AF
    Bump stop - 4782112
    Rear springs - 4581215AD
    Front springs - 4782085AB
    Yeah, I'd like to know that size definitively too. I have some new rotors and brakes coming from Applied Rotor Technology ---channeled but not cross-drilled, and I pray that the company got the right size for my non-php car before they got then cryogenically treated and plated with gold coloring. They should be in in about a week or so and then the tale will be told.
    Well, I never hit a deer, but once a deer darted across the road and hit me - right in the driver's door (that was in my Plymouth days, not the LHS.)

My insurance company said that they would pay IF *I* had hit the deer, but would NOT pay because the deer hit me!! I guess the deer wasn't insured!
    Thanks for the link! I have bookmarked it. It looks good....I definitely need one with the brake light.....
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Go away for a few days and come back to 150+ messages! Just caught up.

phases78-

WELCOME BACK!! Thanks for helping to keep us free here. Too bad you didn't come across that #$%%^^&*& and shoot him with a rocket launcher right where the sun don't shine! Enjoy your time off.

sdmike2-

I THINK you were having a discussion about the front license plate bracket with someone here. It would be quite easy for Chrysler to make a plate holder with a bracket on the bottom that screws into the BOTTOM of the bumper. That way NO HOLES! Acura makes the bracket like that for the CL. CT is a 2 plate state also, but I haven't had a front plate on in years.

blonda-

LOL... Nope- Christine was built on April 17(Wed.), 1998. Mmmm..... maybe that was right after the Easter holidays that year? ;-)) I don't think it would have made any difference what day she was built.

drpixel-

Hope you see this before your hospital visit. Good luck. I'll be thinking of you. As someone said- you survived 9/11- physically, but I know the emotional scars are still there. I have seen it in your messages pre 9/11 and post 9/11. Ask the DR. if he can give you something to erase that day from your mind. Take care and hurry back here. Think of all the time you'll have now to come here! ;-))

mikeyjohn-

DON'T GO!! So many of us have been "reprimanded" at one time or another. Just roll with the punches. I think I missed your post too because I don't remember reading anything that was "out of line". I've been here since 1998. They, nor anyone else, has chased me away yet. The only time I left for several months was when they switched to this "new and improved" software! UGH! NOTHING worked right then! You needed more than the patience of a saint at that time. With Christine and work, I didn't need to come here and get aggravated too. Hang in there.

fastdriver
  • kimieskimies Member Posts: 22
    Hey..was able to get a really good look at your car the other day (memorial day monday)in the Target parking lot at 7th Street and Bell...NICE!!!!! It made my M shiver.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Well we built a 2003 Special today. In graphite metallic, same as the pro-am cars. Looked good. No other changes I could see to the Special. As for the 2003 M , its losing the chrome exhaust tips . Also the 4 disc indash cd changer will go to 6 disc. Looks like nothing new for the last year of the LH cars.Oh yeah the Intrepid R/T will not be offered in 2003 , only the SXT .
    Next time get me I would have shown you more of it, plus I would have loved to have seen your M.
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    Otto,

Will the 6 disc CD changer be a compatible upgrade to the 4 disc changer?

Thanks for the great info you always give us!!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    thanks Chrysler! :(

what are they going to do next? replace 17" rims with 14"?
    The numbers for the struts don't go with any numbers I can find. So they are not the standard LHS, Intrepid struts, or the non or PHP 300M struts.
    I do not have the numbers for the Special or any of the other non LH sedan struts.
    The numbers Sdmike gave are correct except for the endings which are AD 99 and the AE is 00 model (this only goes for the front struts).
    They must be cost cutting measures. Like leaving off the front shield, in front of the radiator.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    ruski-

Wonder how much that will save them?

Hey, did you see the crash ratings for your car? Pretty good.

fastdriver
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    did you at least take that deer home and cook it up for dinner--or at least you could have sold it to the local chinese restaurant---

so how much damage did that deer cost ya?
    Well I borrowed some calipers from work, and sure enough my non-php car has 297mm front rotors ! Guess I should have measured them b4 ordering... Hope I can return the 282mm rotors...
    Make sure not to paint those. Work will be upset. ;)
  • lee1nyclee1nyc Member Posts: 60
    I have a '98 Intrepid ES with Auto Temp Control. I hear an intermittent hiss coming from behind the center a/c vents. It seems to cycle every 30 seconds or so. It also seems to hiss after an acceleration, once you back off the gas.

Dodge replaced the throttle body, and then installed a straightening tube in the evaporator hose. Neither has solved the problem.

Any advice on where to look next would be appreciated.
    Ottowrkr--Holy cow. I thought they were only going to build 7,500 Specials? Now they are going to come out with a 2003 Special? ... and with the Graphite paint color that I wanted. Egad...It is going to be hard to resist going for a new M if the Graphite becomes an offered color on the 2003's as my 99 will be paid for within a year. Well, let's see...if I keep the 99 as my "tuner" car, the wife's Eldo could sit in the driveway so the new Special would also be in the garage. Nah...unlikely I would be alive to enjoy the Special if I tried that. Eh?
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Yeah, I'll want to know if the 6 disc changer will work on mine too.

It should, since the changer controls on the head are simple forward/backward commands to the changer. Only the changer will care how many discs it can hold in the magazine.

I never assumed there would be only 8500 (?) Specials ever built. I figured they meant for the model year and if it was successful they'd build another run of them in 03.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    A graphite Special? Wow, would that be a nice looking car! Hey bigmike, having any really strong temptations...?

On another note, why in the world would they take the chrome tips off the exhaust after making a point to have them for 2 years? A 6 disc changer seems nice though, even though 4 worked well for us before, I think room for another 2 would have been even better. So, nothing at all else new?

You start building them in July, right? Then, how long will the 03' model year last? Last I had read, the 300N (if you'll be building it) wasn't coming until the 05' year. Now, that was from Allpar.com, but there really hasn't been any little snippet in the way of news yet. Usually, if a new vehicle is a year away, there's at least something leaked out.