Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• lulu9lulu9 Member Posts: 154
    May I clarify? Did you hit the deer? Did you drive through the deer--as in into it--or through--as in--past it? Nevertheless, that must have been terrifying.

I-95 in Fairfield County is the most sadistic stretch of highway. I can't tell you how many times I popped on just to go a few exits--only to sit in traffic due to construction or an accident. It's maddening.

The Merritt Parkway--at its best--is a pretty drive. As you experienced first-hand, deer is a major problem. The other major problem is idiots who can't get with the program in terms of getting on and getting off.
    Wait a second! Did I read this correctly or is that a typo?? Are you really 6'6"? How the heck do you fit into the Prelude? Can the seat go that far back? What about head room? Now that's amazing.

My male "friend" of many years (ex-beau...way long story) drove my Prelude back for me from Long Island while I followed. He's 6', and he barely had enough headroom--or so it seemed to me. He had to put the seat way back, and it seemed like a tight fit. He's a Mercedes/BMW/Audi man all the way yet has nothing but accolades for certain Hondas. After his so-called test drive back from Long Island, he can't say enough positive things about my/our Prelude. He thinks it's an awesome piece of automobile engineering and loves the car. He had no idea what I was buying because I didn't want his (very) strong opinions on cars to sway me--you car boys know how you are. :P So he didn't see it until we picked it up. One of the nice things about flying solo is that you can do what you want without checking in with anyone! :)
  • timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    Yes I'm 6'6"! I guess my height is more from my legs than my torso. Anyway, in ALL of my honda's my legs come to the bottom of the steering wheel. People laugh at me when they get in and see that. I've been doing it for so long I guess I'm just used to it. I can't heel and toe because of it, but I have my own little rendition of it ;)
    Of course my seat is all the way back and my head is just BARELY shy of touching the ceiling. The only time I get uncomfortable is on long trips where the console restricts my right leg. Other than that, I'm pretty good. Here is a link to me standing by my beauty. link title
    Have you ever wondered about the demographics that have led Honda in its current boring direction? I have. I think a lot of it has to do with designing cars that appeal to women--not men. (You know that any woman who reads this will come down on me!) When I look at my female friends and the cars they have selected over the years, it had everything to do with (perceived) reliability, comfort, and safety. And these are women without children, women who can buy anything their budget allows. So...this isn't even taking into consideration women WITH children who want family-friendly cars. Out of all my female friends, I have only one who shares my taste in cars--and she's a rarity. Plus, the current demographics in general is aging. Also, Americans are, by and large (pardon the pun), fat. So they must take into consideration the fact that Americans are wider than they once were.

One of my close friends bought a Rav-4 last year, after shopping around and test driving all the cars in her price range. She kept coming back to the Rav-4. She absolutely loves that car. Loves it! To me, anytime I ride with her, I feel like we're going to tip over. Yet, she feels safe, loves being high up (???), and can haul her stuff around. And she has expressed zero interest in my Prelude...the whole concept completely escapes her. She's not yet said to me, "Let's take your car." What does that tell me?

The TL is a very nice car for a sedan in that price range.

The RSX Type S was one of the cars that made it to my "short list" of top five. But then the Prelude kept coming back to haunt me, and I realized that I absolutely had to get a Prelude before it was too late.
    The bottom line is Americans are LAZY. We don't want to do anything for ourselves now. We don't want to shift, we don't want to parallel park anymore (LEXUS), don't want to reach over and turn the radio station or sound. For the majority of Americans cars are appliances that get us from point A to point B. That's it. There aren't many of us "car types" left.
    Timothy: You are one tall dude! :) Wow!

I am astounded that you are able to fit yourself into the cockpit of our car--and drive comfortably (except on long trips). Jeez...I really can't get over this...I'm amazed.

You must be so accustomed to being contorted/restricted to some degree that you don't even notice or feel it anymore. It must be a sight to see!
    P.S. Kudos to your black beauty!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    WOW! You're a big dude timothy! I'm 5'10" and fit snugly into the Prelude. I need to recline the seat back a few degrees (lean back, lean back)so my head doesn't hit the roof.

Lulu: No I did not hit the deer. I actually drove between them. If the Prelude was and inch or 2 bigger on either side, I might not have been so lucky.

So I smelled buring oil on my way to work this morning. I parked the car in the garage. At lunch I came out to check my oil. I pull the dipstick out and there is maybe 1/4" of oil on it. YIKES! So I call my dealer and he tells me to add a quart and see what happens. He says with the mileage on my car (over 79K) it is normal for a high revving engine to burn about a quart every few thousand miles. I tell him I need an oil change anyway and ask when he can accomodate me. He puts me on hold and tells me to bring the car in tonight! He's got a loaner can that wasn't signed out! So I bring the car in and he smells the oil... We'll see what's going on tomorrow.

I got a Pilot as a Loaner car. It is HUGE! It still has some Honda-esq qualities. Pretty decent steering, not like my Dad's Sport Package equipped X5, but surprising. It doesn't feeel like you're driving such a mammoth beast. All controls are typical Honda...intuitive. It even has the fuel management system that shuts down 3 cylinders to save gas while you're cruising.

I sat in an S2000 at the dealership. That is a real car! That is how cars should be made ;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

to folding myself into small cars for years :P I actually like the small cabins, it makes me feel one with the car and closer to the road. I love that road feel!
    Like I mentioned before, I sat in a S2000 at the dealership once and liked it a lot, but not enough leg room.
    One car that had plenty of room for me was the Fit. Lots of headroom, it's a pretty spacious car. That car would be good for commuting to work sometimes. Notice I said sometimes, I would still need to romp on the Prelude as well.
    Ok, so the burning smell from my car wasn't oil (well, it was at one stage of its life), it was a plastic bag stuck to my exhaust that was burning....YUK! I had the oil changed. My service advisor told me that it is normal for a car with the miles I have burn almost a full quart of oil every 1000 miles! YIKES! I'll have to keep a close watch on things!

Why Id NEVER buy that Pilot. It has a shifter on the COLUMN! I HATE THAT!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Well that's good news. Plastic bag eh, that's a relief on your part I bet. I have heard that the H22A does burn oil, but I didn't think it was that much.
    Yeah I hate automatics period, but I didn't think the Pilot would have one of the column. That is weird nowadays for the most part.
    A plastic bag stuck to your exhaust--as in garbage?? :confuse: Oh brother! Well, that is great news--that it's nothing mechanical. If it's not deer in CT getting stuck to your car, it's trash in NYC...pick your poison! It's fortuitous that the burning smell got your attention to check your oil and have your car brought in ASAP. Jeez...that's a lot of oil to burn! Can you/will you consider doing your own oil changes?

Why I'd never buy a Pilot: It's big! It's a car that would drive me--I wouldn't drive it.
    First, I read that 6'6" Timothy can actually FIT into Honda's FIT.

Then, he opines that cars have become appliances to us lazy-[non-permissible content removed] Americans. What a riot!

To quote: "The bottom line is Americans are LAZY. We don't want to do anything for ourselves now. We don't want to shift, we don't want to parallel park anymore (LEXUS), don't want to reach over and turn the radio station or sound. For the majority of Americans cars are appliances that get us from point A to point B. That's it. There aren't many of us 'car types' left."

OMG...that is so true, and so pathetically funny.

Then I read that NYC gets a Pilot (of all cars) loaner car :P after having brought in his prelude for a burning smell caused by a piece of garbage (go figure). I'm actually laughing as I type this. This cracks me up!
    Hmmm. Shifter on the column? That's surprising. Do you think that's a deliberate attempt to be retro? That's very 50's/60's.
    NO, it is very AMERICAN. I turned the stupid wipers on before I shifted out of park.

It is great to have the Prelude back!

Lulu9: I'd like to thank-you for injecting some life into this Prelude board here. Keep posting!

--6'6" Timothy fitting into his Prelude
    --Nyccarguy driving between not one but two deer on the Merritt Parkway!
    --Maintaining ego while driving Honda Pilot loaner car
    --Surviving sudden blizzard conditions on Merritt Parkway at 75 mph while snowshoeing on Potenza RE92's
    --Avoiding inferno while NYC trash takes up residence in Nyccarguy's exhaust
    --Negotiating GARGANTUAN potholes in which car can disapper (new to the list--as of 3/2)

Have a great weekend guys! :)

Had fun this week!
  • unixtamerunixtamer Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone. I have been reading posts here for years
    and have been very impressed with the candor, excitement
    and wealth of information.

I have a Silver 1992 Prelude Si purchased near new
    (bought it as a 3k mile demo car in early 93).

It currently has 148k miles and
    these 14 years of ownership have been very pleasurable.
    The car is still very fun to drive and I still get
    compliments on the styling.
    I think the seats rival anything I see today.
    I am 6'4" and fit in quite comfortably.

At this time, I need new struts.
    I know its long past overdue :-(
    This is the third/FUN car for my wife and I.
    My question to the group is what shocks would you recommend?
    I have scoured the net for reviews.
    The major contenders are: KYB, Koni, Tokico

I am leaning towards KYB due to reapeated findings of
    questionable reliability of Tokicos.

Does anybody have or know of unusual experiences with
    aftermarket struts?
    I don't want to lower the car at all. As we all know, the Prelude handles soo well.
    I have Mille Miglia 16" wheels and stock springs.

Thanks for any information.
    Yes it's all a laugh isn't it? All very true but sad :mad: I second NYC on your adding your viewpoints from a woman's side of things. It is very refreshing. We all enjoy your posts.
    You mentioned earlier how someone asked about your Prelude. I still get that sometimes myself. They think it's newer than an 01. A lot of Honda's cars from time to time seem to fly under the radar. Like the del sol. I've seen a rash of those cars appearing on the roads around here lately. Just one of those things I notice.
    As mentioned, I think our cars' styling is very clean in that its lines are contemporary (forward thinking) yet classic. I mean classic from the standpoint of "good design" because "good design" never goes out of style--never appears or feels "dated."

As such, there is no denying that our car has "presence." That's why our cars continue to get compliments 10 years after its last redesign! I just recall the harsh criticism that the Prelude received from the car world after its last redesign--that it was boring, dated, too conservative, etc. And I totally disagreed.

Brad Pitt and Halle Berry in their prime are never going to look "dated." A hundred years from now, no one will look at their photos and say, "Oh, but nowadays they wouldn't make the cut for attractiveness." Good design (form) actually reminds us of what attractive is! No one in the fashion industry would look at Coco Chanel's dresses from way back when and say, "Oh, look at those awful dresses. Look how dated and hideous those designs are compared to what we have available today. Actually, quite the opposite. Her designs are still considered timeless, masterful pieces.

Anyhow, here's to great design!
    I totally agree with our car as a "classic design", timeless. Actually the NSX is an automobile that fits that same criteria . That car came out in 91 and it STILL turns heads to this day.
    Oh yeah, totally. The design of the NSX does not leave one with the impression of a dated, has-been performance car. You take one look at that car and there's an emotional response. You know without a doubt that there's a wild beast lurking underneath that hood...that you're in for an exhilarating driving experience. Who needs a test drive when one look at that car tells you everything you need to know: kudos for great design.

What I find interesting is the appeal of the Jaguars. For such expensive cars, to me, they are downright ugly--a sight for sore eyes! I don't care how impressively they're engineered or built from the enthusiasts' standpoint. All I ever see is a butt-ugly car! I suppose that's why Jaguar owners are an odd lot (I know because I used to work for a guy who belonged to an owners' club)!

Great design is emotionally pleasing to look at, never goes out of style, and always feels fresh and modern--i.e., "in the moment," whether it's a car, a dress, a building, or a human being!!
    Welcome unixtamer. I am relatively new here myself--about a month or so. I am the proud owner of a 2001 'lude SH. Just to warn you: I seem to be the sole chick on this board and pretty much serve as entertainment for Nyccarguy and Timothy! :) So, unfortunately, I am not in a position to offer you much-needed advice on which struts to get for your car. But I look forward to reading any advice that comes forth as I'm here to learn.
  • hemanthhhemanthh Member Posts: 40
    Hi all,

My priginal tires lasted a few years and then seems like Im replacing them too often. Boston roads are unforgiving of course!

Right now, my front left tire is seeping air every couple of days or so and my dealer says the tires are worn and suggests replacing all four. The tread on the top of all tires are good, but they seem worn on the edges.

SHould I believe my dealer and replace all four? I would raher just replace the front two if I have to. Cant I fix just the one that is leaking air???

Thanks for your help and suggestions..
    What year is your Prelude? How many miles are on it? If your tire tread is worn on the edges, then your car needs an alignment or the tire isn't mounted correctly on the bead.

Whatever you do, don't buy tires from the dealer and don't buy the same OEM crummy Bridgestone Potenza RE92.

Give Tire Rack a call and tell them what you're looking for as far as a tire goes...All Season, Performance, Snow Tire... and they'll guide you the right way.

I run a Set of Z rated high performance Yokohama AVS ES100 tires on my Prelude for 9 months out of the year and Michelin Pilot Arctic Alpin Tires in the winter months!

Speaking of the OEM Bridgestone Potenza tires...

OMG! Another light snow fall (it's snowing as I'm writing this) and another scary (no exaggeration) 3-mile trek to work on mostly terciary and secondary roads. These tires are useless in fresh snow! And I hate the pressure from the SUVs that accumulate behind me and tailgate because I'm driving so slow.

Understandably, it's hard to justify the expense of new tires (NYC's great recommendation) when these are in perfectly good condition--but they suck. I'm thinking of biting the bullet come spring with the Yokohama's. NYC says that these OEM Potenzas are just as bad in the rain. :cry: I now see this as a safety issue. In other words, the cost of the tires is less than my collision deductible! I'm just wondering what these OEM tires are good for, and why Honda would put such sucky tires on our beautiful car!
    Hemanthh...I've been on this forum for only a month or so, and I have found Nyccarguy's Prelude advice and sensibility invaluable. I even print his recommendations! Also, some of my questions he has covered in prior posts so it pays to go back in time.
    Its 1997 standard. I also have a big dent on my left driver side where the wheel is. So, when I turn the whel all the wa, I hear some kinda scraping noise. I wonder if that contributed to the wear of the tire and its losing air now??

So is it possible to fix the leak, and if not, Id rather just replace the front two tires. IS that bad? Should I replace all four? I dont want to invest too much in this car anymore. I know I have to spend a grand or two to fix the dent, and there will be other issues in the next year Im sure.
    Couple of weeks ago when he sow turned into ice after the first storm, it was nightmare to get my car to slide off the ice onto the road.

If I have to get new tires (because of the leak not because of the snow since winter is almost over), I was thinking of getting the Kumho ECSTA (420 tire treadware grade). They are about $100 each..

But, if the tread on the top is great and the tire is worn on the edges, is it time to replace them is what Im struggling with....
    be of some help! I feel like a contributing member of society.

Speaking of help. While I was getting gas on the way home from a friend's house. This very young looking girl pulled in with a Jeep Wrangler that had a major flat tire. She was hysterical. I changed the tire for her and sent her on her way. It didn't seem like 15 degrees out when I was changing the tire.

My Yokohamas were $80 each from tire rack.

Speaking of tires, you must have had tires on the brain yesterday...because you attracted another tire "situation." Coincidence?? That was wonderful that you helped the young girl out. :) (Plus, you got some exercise!) She was probably beside herself with that awful feeling of helplessness. (Gee...now that I think of it, cars and men have a lot in common :P )

It may be difficult for guys to get this, but car probems can easily push the "waterworks" button in women and can cause a major meltdown/freak-out. The only difference between this young girl and me in terms of her reaction is that I've learned to suck it up. Even then, it's not easy!

When I was in my early 20's, I lived in Calfornia. We were taking a road trip from San Diego to San Francisco in our little orange Honda Civic wagon, and the clutch burned out in a tiny little town in the middle of nowhere called Santa Maria. Talk about waterworks! I was absolutely beside myself hysterical. The dealership had to order parts for the car so we had to spend the night. I was still sobbing/wimpering by the time we got to one of the only places in town to stay, a Holiday Inn. The hotel manager felt so sorry for me (God I was pathetic!) that he gave us a free room, one of the nicest rooms they had available, thinking that that would help calm me down! Even though I was embarrassed by the hysterics, I just couldn't help myself!

And that's just one episode of crying over a car...there are many others ;)

P.S. Yes, NYC, you can consider your advice a form of community service
  • trewquistrewquis Member Posts: 30
    So I brought my '98 Prelude into a Honda dealership to have the timing belt replaced. Prior to that, the car was running fine. Within 10 miles the alternator dies and the dealership (Curtis-Ryan Honda, Shelton, CT) refuses to take responsibility for it, and was pretty nasty about it.

When the car was running again, I noticed a smell that I thought was just due to sloppy work, spilling some oil on the engine (I had the oil changed at the same time). After ~200 miles, I'm down two quarts of oil, I fill the oil back up and in another 15 miles I'm down about half a quart and I start to see some smoke coming from the engine, though it seems to be running OK.

I'd really appreciate any help with what could be causing this (the smoke and oil burning) and how screwing up changing the timing belt can cause all of these problems.
    So I can contribute something of value to this board--other than my non-mechanical quips, I ran this by my ex-beau, who's the best do-it-yourself backyard mechanic you'll ever meet. Although he's used to dealing with German cars (and is also German by the way), he feels your pain. This is exactly what he said verbatam.

"When they have to change the timing belt--if they don't get the timing belt on exactly the way its supposed to be--that means that your valve timing is off. This could cause all kinds of prolems that are hard to diagnose. With the timing belt, everything has to be right on the numbers, and this job in particular needs an extremly competent mechanic to do this work. Because they have to remove a lot of parts to get to the valve cover, etc., you're probably looking at sloppy mechanical work, i.e, improper tightening of bolts, etc.

Because the car was fine before the change of belt, whatever happened happened since you took the car in because of improper workmanship. But to define improper workmanship in a situation like this and hold people responsible is not an esay thng to do.

I took a car in once just to have brake pads changed, and the brakes didn't work at all...they got grease on the disks.

My suggestion is to go directly to the manufatuer...Honda: State your problem, and they will point you in the right direction. Because you're not going to get any satisfaction from the dealer directly...they will deny all responsibility period.

It's unfortunate, but this happens all the time. When you take your car in and get incompetent mechanics, it causes so much trouble that is hard to diagnose."
    My own 2-cents, for what it's worth, is this:

If I were in your shoes, I'd be so disgusted (after shedding my requisite amount of tears over the situation--see my post from Friday about crying over cars), that I'd bring my car back to the dealership and tell them that I want the job done right. I'd be in my indignant, "Are you kidding me?...This is completely unacceptable!" mode. "Look at all the problems this poor workmanship has created for me!" Considering the expense of a timing belt replacement (I think we've all been there), you should expect to have the work done right! I'd be beyond pissed. I'd be livid. And one of the things I've learned over the years is that it's the squeaky wheel that gets the oil.

The risk of taking a car to a dealership (my own opinion) as opposed to a great mechanic that you trust is that you never know who's working on your car. So there's no specific individual to hold accountable.

As soon as I read your post to my friend, he just "knew" the job was screwed up. In other words, that was his instinct.

And I just learned something about timing belts!
    Sorry for all the typos and misspellings in this response! Talk about sloppy workmanship--considering what I do for a living! But I was literally taking dictation over the phone as I was typing this. When I said "verbatim," I really meant: straight from the horse's mouth.
    Thanks everyone.

Over the rest of the weekend I figured out that the smoke was coming from oil leaking onto the exhaust manifold. I also found a very useful resource - http://www.spoonhonda.com/index_ie.htm
    which has the service manual for almost every Honda.

First the alternator. Well the #$!@% at the dealership, said NFW, they don't even touch it when they do the timing belt. I knew this was nonsense, since there is a cable that runs from the alternator to the timing belt cover. So the service manual explicitly states that the alternator must be disconnected and the wire harness that runs to the cylinder head removed. So they presumably shorted this out when doing the job.

About the oil - with some time to calm down, I called Honda customer service first thing this morning. We opened a case number and their suggestion was to go to another dealership to determine the source of the leak and if it was related to the previous service I would be reimbursed. This dealership determined that the leak was due to a faulty seal on the oil cooler adjacent to the oil filter; they also found a faulty pcv valve. The other dealer also changed the oil filter, so who knows if that was their fault. In any event, I'm on the hook for another $200.

I called my credit card company before the oil problem surfaced and stopped payment on the timing belt service for the amount I paid to have the car towed and the alternator repaired. I probably should have voided the whole thing considering the day and a half of work I missed and all the stress.

Hopefully, the car is fine now.
    You're dealing with a problem now a days called "inept tradesmen." It's a sad story, but that's how it is.

According to my friend, after reading your follow-up posting to him, the bottom line is that you had a sloppy mechanic the first time around.

Good luck with everything!

Lulu
    That's really a bummer dude. I wish I could do something to help. You seem to be taking the right steps to resolve the situation.

I would NEVER go back to that dealer again! Shelton is all the way up in Northern Fairfield county, right? I'm not sure how far Manchester Honda is from you, but they have a great parts department (and I can assume a good service department). The dealer where I service my car (Honda of Nanuet) has an excellent service department (but it might be a bit far for you. The speed shop where I have work done on my car is great too (they are in White Plains). They actually did the timing belt service, not the dealer. If you need a second opinion, they'd be glad to help.

Keep us posted!

Shelton is about 10 miles northwest of New Haven. I went there because they were willing to do the job for ~$150 less than anyone else, but you get what you pay for. I have no intention of ever going back there.

I had been going to Brandfon Honda where I bought the car, but they screwed up flushing the radiator once and they moved to a less convenient location. They are civil, honest and treat you with respect though. They were falling all over themselves trying to help me out with the radiator, while Curtis-Ryan's reaction was to immediately blame me.
    I'm located in lower Fairfield County but have certainly heard of Curtis-Ryan. My friend's husband bought his Accord from them but always had major gripes about their service dept. He had a lot of problems with his Accord (I didn't know that was posssible--of all cars!), but come to find out (from them), that his was the first year that Hondas were manufactured in USA. (I can't believe he didn't know that, but he didn't.) Anyway, he basically saw his car as a lemon, but the people at Curtis didn't help the situation!

I am just amazed by their level of defensiveness by blaming you. Wow! What rotten customer service! As my friend said yesterday, a botched timing belt service can wreak all kinds of havoc, and that is one job that needs to be right.

You seem to be handling it well--much better than I would be! :cry::cry::cry:

I sincerely wish you a happy ending in all of this!
    Got my car washed for the first time in months (this is the reason I wouldn't be good with a black car even though I love the way they look)! It was nice to see the Milano Red paint gleam once again as the layers of caked on salt which were eating away at my car's beautiful clearcoat were whisked away by the car wash's foamy bubbles! I almost forgot it was red. I'll wait maybe another week to take my winter wheels/tires off.

I'm surprised to see so many neighbors on the board.

I've had some time to calm down, believe me I was upset.

I was also amazed when C-R wouldn't help out with the alternator - shocked. The thing died within 10 minutes of when I picked up the car, how could it not be their fault? They are more interested in squeezing every penny out of you, than keeping you as a long-term customer. I would never even consider buying my next car there after this.

Hopefully this is over now.
    So what is the status now? Is the car still in the shop?

Trewquis...Your awful experience with having your timing belt changed is upsetting to me--and I don't even know you!!

Using my writer's research skills, I found this on the Internet. It's a mechanical website dedicated to NSX owners, but this is what he said about timing belts. Perhaps this can this be applicable to the Prelude??? (That's the "don't laugh"...part).

On the one hand, what's done is done, and you need solutions to move forward. On the other, C-R emphatically told you that the alternator was not touched, right?

"What Else Should Be Changed With The Belt?
    It is normal to replace the water pump and other engine belts (alternator and compressor) at the same time. They should not charge you labor for replacing AC and alternator belt because they have to remove that for the timing belt anyway.

The parts costs on the other belts is minimal, but the labor to get to them is substantial (mostly the same labor as replacing the timing belt). So it makes a lot of sense to change all the belts at the same time and only pay for the labor once.

The water pump is almost always replaced, but on a well-maintained (fresh coolant) car it's not really clear how long they will actually last. A few have been disassembled and inspected after being replaced, and they looked almost new inside on low-mile cars that were having the timing belt changed based on time instead of miles. But, again, the water pump parts cost (about $200) is less than the labor to replace it, so most owners replace it during the timing belt change as suggested."

NYC asked a great question. So...what's going on with this?
    They did replace the belts and water pump. There are also lots of seals they are supposed to check and replace if need be when they do the job. They did not replace any of these and there is no way of knowing if they need replacing without basically doing the job over.

In any event, the car is now running again and seems OK. Honda is passing on my dissatisfaction to C-R. I've filed a dispute with my credit card company about the towing and alternator charges and they are investigating.

I have to go to Massachusetts this weekend, hopefully that will not be an adventure.
    It's me again.

After posting that blurb last night about the NSX's timing belt, I thought to myself, "How silly...I should just call my "real" mechanic (the guy who takes care of me by doing the 'big jobs') and talk to him." He's excellent, top-notch (but not cheap) so between my friend diagnosing my problems/concerns and my mechanic fixing/maintaining things, my cars have been very well taken care of (definitely an area in life not to take for granted :) )!

Another lesson I learned in life (the hard way...like you) is to align yourself with a great/skilled/talented mechanic because these guys are not easy to come by--not by a longshot. As in any occupation, not too many can legitimately separate themselves from the pack--from their peer group. In other words, "outstanding" is hard to come by. So I called him first thing this morning and read both your posts to him.

(As NYC recommended his people to you--and there's nothing like a personal recommendation for mechanics--I did not want to confuse matters by offering you mine. Plus, I got the sense that you wanted to stay local--understandable.)

He had the same reaction my friend did. He said that there is no coincidence going on here with the multiple problems you experienced: Your car has not been serviced correctly, that the alternator absolutely had to be involved in some way to get to the timing belt, that the valve cover was not replaced correctly, which caused the leaking oil onto the manifold. He said that it's obvious that an inexperienced mechanic did your work...that a mechanic needs to do about 75 to 100 timing belt jobs before they can be considered competent. After that, you should be able to do them in your sleep.

He's in Norwalk. He offered that you call him if you need follow-up advice or help. His name is Rick at G&H repair, and his number is 847-3846. He is the shop owner and runs the show. Just tell him that your the guy with the botched Prelude timing belt job.

He also gave me the American Honda Customer Relations number: 800-999-1009.

He said that most people really have no idea what goes on at their dealerships--the high level of turnover they have with mechanics and the level of inexperience so many of them have. He said it's really all a crapshoot because you have no idea who's working on your car (gee, that's something my friend said too). He said you always want to know who's doing the work on your car.

Whew! That's all for now!
    I recall reading that you placed a stop payment on the check to C-R. If I were in your shoes, I would refuse to pay for the labor, and take my car somewhere else to have the job redone--from stratch--at some point in the near future. I know that sounds extreme and hardcore, but I can't be driving around wondering what else they neglected to do (seals, etc.) and what's going to happen next.

Clearly, you're on "the case" with your complaints and disputing the fees. Good for you!!

Hopefully, your follow-up posts will be happy ones! :) Like NYC getting his car washed! :)
    Hey - that's great that you got your car washed :) and that it looks wonderful again! As you can imagine, mine is abolutely filthy, being black. It's painful to look at. Ugh! If you were to see my car today, you would think it's not loved.

The only reason why mine's not washed yet is because I haven't been able to get to a hand wash place over the weekends--the lines were way too long everywhere I went! Ugh! (I just don't have the patience to wait in lines.) So I promised I'd get it done during the week--as in today!

BTW, what do you mean by your "clearcoat." Please enlighten me. Is this a form of wax? :confuse:
    I've been keeping up on my car washes, as soon as the snow stops and the streets dry up somewhat I'm there! I don't mind it getting dirty a little bit shortly afterwards, I just want that salt off ASAP. Since my car is black, I absolutely hate seeing my baby like that. I try to get it taken care of in a timely manner.
    Clearcoat is just as it suggests. It is a layer (or a few actually) of "clear" paint that goes over the paint to protect it and give it a shine. Most modern cars since as far back as I can remember have a clearcoat.

Duh! Well, I really did not know that. I also wasn't aware that a car needs to go on a lift to have an oil change! Just found that out too.

Thinking of oil changes, I am actually forbidden to go to those quick lube oil change places (Expressway in particular) because, evidentally, I suffer from the "clipboard syndrome"...ya know, when the technician comes out with his all-important clipboard in hand to review all the various fluids and flushes that your car needs at X number of miles--over and above a basic oil change? Apparently, I'm a sucker. They tell me what my car needs...or, rather, they "recommend," and I say "yes...go ahead." It's just that simple! In the blink of an eye, a $30 oil change service turned into $160 - $180 on multiple occasions!

Yes, I have gotten the, "How can you possibly let that happen, woman? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!" and the "If you're going to waste your money, I'd rather you waste it with me" (from mechanic). I just hated "bothering" people for oil changes that's all.

My only defense, which is a good one because it's sincere, is that if someone tells me my car needs that all-too- Critical Fluid or Flush, who am I to deprive my car of the basic medical care it so desperately needs, which could become life threatening if neglected?

This is why I can no longer venture into those places. I don't have the backbone or whatever it takes to get through the process with a simple oil change.

Actually, the last time I went, I promised myself that I would say no, no, no! I even rehearsed the clipboard scene on my way over so I would be fully prepared emotionally to withstand the onslaught of their "upselling." Well, the guy came out and told me that it was time for the radiator to be flushed. Guess what? I said yes! Damn!

So there's my confession. I never told anyone about that last episode because I didn't want to get yelled at (again) :blush::blush:!