Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    no , if you want to get the 2 extra HP , you have to use the high octane fuel.
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    So if I run 91 Octane in any 300M, I can achieve the extra 2 hp (255 total)?
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    could the somewhat lesser handling ability be due to thicker tread seeing its a brand new tire---maybe as it wears it will improve in handling characteristics---all I know is I paid $85 ea plus shipping and moutning ( I havent mounted them yet) and feel I got the best deal for a v-rated tire. I have a non-php so cornering , although important, is not a prime concern. High speed cornering just wears out your tires faster so I take them at a reasonable speed--thus the name easyrider.

The quiet ride and the ride over rough roads is important to me as well as is the fact that its a good all season tire that will go in the snow. And the handling is acceptable. The Yokos fit my driving demands.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    laurasdada-

LOL... I did respond the last time you posted, but my message was deleted because I mentioned something that is not supposed to be mentioned here because some people take offense and write to the host to complain and then I get in 'trouble". PHEW. Talk about a run-on sentence! Get it?

Glad to hear the 300 is treating you well. Fewer "5-STAR" visits = less aggravation/stress! ;-)))

fastdriver
  • dustyrdsdustyrds Member Posts: 3
    Now I know where half of my posts went. I was just being a passionate M owner.
    FYI-my ride-
    2000 White-
    Replaced the Goodyears at 50k(probably should have tried Yoko's)
    The only problem in the past 30 months, which just recently surfaced- Overhead console lights flash on and off once or twice a month for no apparent reason. Must be trolls in the electrics. hehehe.
    Hey Denverm-nice pic..
    You will only get the max HP in your M if you use the 91 octane and have the dual exhaust that the special has.
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    I've had mine on (YK420s) for about 6k and love 'em. 2000 non- php. For $ 427.00 and a V rated tire its quite a deal. I'm running 32# and love everything about them. Cut the noise level in half and my new duals drown out the other half.lol Sure did eliminate the vibrations. Due for 6k rotation.
    Geezer
  • ski1002ski1002 Member Posts: 5
    I am having a problem with my radio reception, both on am and fm stations. I think that this has just started recently. I have a 2000 300m with the antenna in the rear window. My wife's car is a new camry and does not experience any reception problems that I have.

Any suggestions? Is there a TSB dealing with this?
  • dukeofdallasdukeofdallas Member Posts: 52
    My '99 M turned 70,000 this week. To celebrate it went into limp-mode on the way to work. I limped on into my 5-star and told them the problem. They said they had to do the $80 diagnosis anyway. It gets credited to the repair so no biggie. I think the tranny sensors run about $15, what can I expect the labor charge to be?

I've had my M since 40K and prior to this my only problems have been a stuck A/C vent (which didn't let air into the cockpit) and a worn idler pulley (or something like that) which caused a loud whining noise. With the road noise and squeks and rattles, it's much louder than my previous car (Millenia) but much more fun to drive.
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    This problem has surfaced for several people and I believe there is a TSB on it. Before going to the dealer you might want to verify that all leads to the antenna amp are secure. It's fastened on the inside of the passenger "C" post, (beside the rear window). You'll have to remove the inside trim to get to it.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Hey Jeff-- What color are the ground effects on the Graphite Special? I would think that they would be a charcoal color, but I haven't seen a picture of a Graphite Special up close to figure it out yet. Still musing about getting an 03 as the 04 design does nothing for me, and the Crossfire is just too under powered for my taste.
    The date for the Woodward Dream Cruise in 2003 is Saturday, August 16. I am putting this info out now so that vacations can be planned and work schedules adjusted. No excuses next year for non-attendance. Mark your calendars and start saving your leave days.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Telling them to move it to a little more convient spot wouldn't hurt eather. Say somewhere in the central USA (Kansas) for example. Plus Detroit is not known for being the best city.
    I too have an Non PHP (in name only) and except for the brakes I is as good or better then the PHP. I tend to have better tires (Z rated) I think tires are one of the most important things on a vehicle and I want my tires to handle anything I throw at them. If my car ever gets in trouble it will be because of my driving skills not because something the vehicle couldn't do for me.
    Imagine if Chrysler put at least the Yoko's on the car, it would have recieved much better ratings then the old goodyears.
    Okay, Chrysler didn't get to my car today. Somebody posted instructions on replacing the sensors a while back which made it sound like a simple procedure. If someone can point me to this post I'm considering doing it myself this weekend. I also need the part #s for the sensors. Thanks.
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    99300mricva has posted how he changed the sensors -- here's a link to his posts on the 300mclub forum that will answer some of your questions. Couldn't find the one with detailed instructions but maybe he'll chime in.....

http://makeashorterlink.com/?G1D921CE1

As for the dealer, people have been charged different amounts for the repairs. I had mine replaced a few months ago and they only charged me $49 and did it in an hour. Other people have been charged over $100 for the fix so depends on if they feel like ripping you off I guess....

How's things in good ole KY. The ground effect is the same colour as last year , like a charcoal colour. It looks good on a Graphite car. You know I think the 2004.5 car will be worth waiting for .I have not seen it and the guys who have say those picks on the web are not it . From what they tell me they say its one nice car, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    I may down in your area next week . A bunch of us are driving down to Talladega for the Nascar race(long drive) . I think we pass near your town on the way down . I will let you know.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Well, the pics are out, and the specs do sound quite nice. In the GTP model, 250hp and 280lb/ft of torque, plus an optional Competition Package on top of that with a 142mph upgraded tires, and an "Autostick" of sorts called TAPshift.

Any takers? Ruski? Take a look:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5356

• kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    The interior needs a gut and refit. Typically overdone GM. Exterior is ho hum. Looks like a Bonneville without the cladding - big whoop!

Nothing exciting over at the Avalanche bored (sic)?
  • psterpster Member Posts: 293
    Just replaced Yoko's on my Camry. They are very quiet, run smooth and WEAR OUT EXTREMELY FAST! I think I got 30,000 miles, max. Very poor wearing tire in my opinion. Just replaced them with Dunlop SP A4 Sports. Looking to replace the incredible fantastic OEM Michelin's (PHP) on my 300M. Probably get same tire. They are wonderful. 47M miles and still not to wear strip.
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Here's some more sensor install detail:

http://pub88.ezboard.com/f300menthusiastsclubfrm23.showMessage?topicID=1.topic

The sensors are on the drivers side of the tranny just above where the cooling lines connect. Put the car on Rhino Ramps or equivalent and slide under the car from the front for best access.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Yeah I have been checking out the 2004 Grand Prix news all day.

It seems nice overall but I don't like dash and steering wheel.

The front reminds me of 300M. But not as stylish as 300M.

I am pretty sure it hauls major bootie though.
  • reybeastreybeast Member Posts: 35
    The description was this tsb solved the problem with the seats sliding fore and aft when driving.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I had this problem also and it was fixed by my dealer TODAY! I had been trying to find a dealer who would take the time and look up the tsb and actually fix the problem. The 4th dealer got it right. What happens in my car atleast is if I have to brake hard or accelarate fast the seat would shift slightly. Back when accelarating and forward when breaking. there are replacement bolts which solve the problem. I believe a couple people here did the fix themselves.
    ski1002-

Check under the rear seat too. I believe that one time when the "5-STAR" had my car apart, he said he found some grounding wires NOT attached. Don't know if this would help with the reception, but it couldn't hurt to check it out.

fastdriver
    Jeff- Thanks for the info on the ground effects. I could wait til 2004.5 since my 99 will be paid off before then, but a better idea of what is coming would help in deciding. If it is the Hemi C no problem, although I would rather get it in a coupe, [and such mods usually take a year of two to get into production like the PT convertible] --never been a rag top guy, and in KY we usually have one day in spring and one in fall when top down is cool. Otherwise, too hot and humid, or too cool. Anyway, maybe I'll wait awhile. Did see a Graphite Special on a dealer inventory in nearby Indiana but it had a moon roof which I would never use so I was musing about getting a dealer estimate on one without.

On Talladega. If you are on I-65 to and from Alabama then you pass about 5 miles from my house. There are 2 exits that are relatively close. You can get off I-65 at exit 94[?] at Elizabethtown, or exit at Route 313 [a little further from us], and my house is easy to find on the Pine Valley golf course a few miles away. Would love to see you guys stop off if it is convenient, or if you need a rest stop. Let me know and I'll send you directions that will lead you right to a couple of cold ones.
    300Michael--Can't do much about the date or location. It's always the 3rd Saturday in August and it starts in Ferndale. Actually, the location of the Cruise, is thru the suburbs near Detroit, and many of them are fairly affluent. Its a good distance from the inner city. Have not seen any problems at all in the last 2 years.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Ask anyone who has been there...no problems!
    Detroit is not my favorite city, but for the car nut it's a great place.
    Visit the homes of the auto barons, the Walter P. Chrysler Museum, or the Henry Ford Museum/Greenfield Village.(the Shithsonioan of the midwest)
    In January, Detroit hosts the North American International Auto Show, the BEST auto show in the country.
    How come they can build this-

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/carkeys/

and not this-

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/concept/300hemic.htm

I know which one most of us could afford!

Look what Cadillac is building-
    http://www.motortrend.com/aug02/cadillac/cadillac_f.html

fastdriver

• denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Not sure I could afford either one, but I'd sure like to see some Hemi C's cruising down the street. Don't tell us you'd consider buying another Chrysler?!?!?! Maybe if DC doesn't want to build it, Acura could buy the rights and build it . . . .
    denverm-

"Don't tell us you'd consider buying another Chrysler?!?!?!"

LOL....NEVER!! Once was enough for me!! I'm not that forgiving. I wouldn't mind looking at them on the road.

"Maybe if DC doesn't want to build it, Acura could buy the rights and build it . . . ."

Ah.... now, you're talking! ;-)) THEN, there would be one in my garage for sure!!

fastdriver
    I posted a couple days ago about getting Yokohama YK420's on my 2000 PHG M. After a couple days of being disappointed in how the car handled compared to the stock Michelins, I called Discount Tire, and they readily let me trade up to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. They cost an extra $400, which I really didn't want to spend, but now I feel like I've got my M back.

I don't mean to knock the Yokos. Their price for a V-rated tire is great and they may be a big step up from the Goodyears that came on the non-PHG M's, but this driver really felt they were a significant step down in performance from the Michelins. If driving enjoyment and passion weren't important to me, I'd be driving a used Honda. I just couldn't handle the prospect of driving my M for the next 65K miles (the Yoko tread warranty) feeling like I had given up the car's true abilities. So, if the Pilots last 40K miles, it's an extra penny a mile. It's worth it to me; may not be to others.
    I totally agree with you. That is why I went with a Max Performance tire. The bridgestones (pole position S-03's won't win any long distance awards, but where I point them in rain or shine they go with no complantes. The added benifit is that they are quiet.
    I hope Honda doesn't build the Hemi C. They would destroy the looks entirely. The new SUV I have seen from them looks like it was make from childrens wooden blocks. At least I know where the Aztec designers went to, after leaving GM. But am sure the car cover companies would love them. As long as they have clear vinal for the windows so people could drive with the covers on. LOL
    If MB sells one of the 55amg's it would be like selling 4 of the Hemi C's. Much more mark up. So far I haven't seen a 300? design that beats the 300M. The Hemi's rear looks a little better, but I like the M's front better. The Hemi front looks "mad", I would rather have "even".
    I just saw a magazine pic of that Honda SUV while waiting for my tires to be put on, and I agree with you. The U.S. has a "gas guzzler tax"; I think there should be an "ugly tax" too. We all have to look at the Aztecs, etc., on the road; they should have to pay an extra tax to buy those things!
  • peters300mpeters300m Member Posts: 11
    I went in this morning to flush my radiator fluid. Just by curiosity I asked if it was possible to have them to reprogram my PCM to remove the speed limiter and get the newest software because I just bought new Z rated tires. The dealer said yes and it only costed $30. After I picked my car up, I was very anxious to give it a spin. I noticed right away that my acceleration is alot faster. Then I took it to the highway. I dropped it to 3rd, and floored it. I approached 200km/h in no time. I was still in 3rd gear with my rpm's at about 5800. Then I upshifted to 4th because I was a little hesitant in redlining my engine. I had to slow down because there was traffic ahead of me. So this was the best $30 I ever spent.
    300michael -

"I hope Honda doesn't build the Hemi C. They would destroy the looks entirely."

At least I know the quality would improve!

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder! You think the Pacifica looks good?

fastdriver
    Actually, for what it is, I think it looks pretty good.
    Read this..it's all over the net. Dealer tech joyrides in a 03 Cobra while it's at the shop to get fixed. He posts on a message board about how he beat it. The owner sees the message and.....

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=19809&perpage=25&pagenumber=1
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    >> Actually, for what it is, I think it looks pretty good.

Especially if you compare it to this:

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/48583/page029.html

ottowrkr-

LOL.... We all know that would NEVER happen at a "5-STAR" because they never road test them. They just read their well documented statements when you go to pick up your car. I know because I always wrote down the mileage. It was always the same as when I dropped it off! Hope that lady goes after that guy big time!! Shows you what kind of respect some grease monkeys have for other people's property. Also shows you his IQ level for posting in a public board!

lonestarsled-

There's no accounting for taste. It's no worse looking then some of the DC pics I've seen lately.

fastdriver
    OUCH! Talk about your "train wrecks".

Just goes to prove the old saying: An ignorant person can be educated but stupid goes to the bone.

Hehehe, ya just gots to luv the Internet! :)
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    denverM: I agree with your decision on tires. I run Goodrich GForce T/A tires (245/45ZR-17's) on my M, and even though they only last about 20K miles, I love 'em. I'm on my 2nd set. The turn-in, cornering and wet weather handling are just phenomenal. I could never go back to lesser tires!

fastdriver: I'm sorry you had so much trouble with your M and with Chrysler dealers in general, but my M has been by far the best car I've ever owned (and I'm 63 tomorrow, I've owned lots of cars in my life). Virtually trouble free and I've gotten great service from my local dealer. I have no complaints (only praise) for either my M or my dealer.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I finally made the leap and had duals put on my M a couple of weeks ago. I used a Hujo type setup with Dynomax mufflers for both the front collector and the rear muffler. I like the tone.... it reminds me of the kinda smooth "howl" of a Jag E-type. But I think I'd like to get just a little more volume. The all Dynomax set up is a little too quiet. I don't want it to be TOO loud, just a little louder. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should change to increase the volume just a LITTLE?
    Thanks,

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    Drove throught the dealer lot today and they had 3 03 M's sitting there. One had the Infinity system so I took a peek.

Not only had the CD changer sprouted two more buttons but the radio has lost one slider - no more midrange control. The sticker still claims 11 speakers in 9 locations but the website says 9 and 9 so I'm not sure which to believe.

All three had the "new" aluminum and chromed plastic wheels and they didn't look bad, but not as good as last years wheels either. So it goes.

I have a commute mate now. For the last few mornings and afternoons I've meet a black Special heading the other way to and from work. Haven't seen him soon enough to wave yet but we have seen each other.
    I think what you're seeing is the "standard" stereo system specs. In that case, there are 9 speakers in 9 locations, along with a cassette and single CD player. However, as its always been since 99', the upgrade system has had 11 speakers in 9 locations.

No discrepancy, just different option levels.
    Here's a Deep Sapphire Blue M with Dark Slate leather and the new chrome-clad wheels:

http://www.manassaschrysler.com/Chrysler/290013.html

Beautiful color and the wheels look great on the M, but I wish they were still chrome aluminum wheels. That, and a Light Taupe interior and PHP and you'd have yourself one heck of a car!

Well I changed my tranny sensors today and all is well. Painless, but now I need to how to reset the computer to get the "check engine" light to go off. Thanks in advance for your help.

Lynn Flowers, I picked up my sensors in your town. McKinney Dodge is the Chrysler parts dealer for www.oem-car-parts.com. You probably already knew that though.
    You could use some black electral tape it always works. lol Until the dealer can trun if off.