Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >I had an 87 Toro [1st year build just like with the 99M]

????

I had a '73, with 455 ci, FWD,(a novelty in those days), no hump in the middle of the floor. A 6000 lb "boat".
    I believe GM introduced them in "68 or'69
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    have been greatly exagerated.....The Doc still lives, but is not in a good mental frame of mind these days. Received an email from easyrider who mentioned that some folks had been wondering about the Doc's wherabouts....

Since D*-day (downsizing..) life has been an emotional rollercoaster with one up day followed by two bad days..then an up day......you get the idea. I have been going to the Bank-supplied outplacement service. I have a really nice consultant (read here as pschologist, cheerleader, shoulder to lean on, etc...), and have re-written my resume and cover letter.
    Problem is everytime I put on the tv, some othetr firm has laid off (oops, downsized...)10,000 more people. Got a phone call today from my schweetie telling me Novartis (place I sent resume to in Parsippany, NJ regarding a posting in hotjob, monster, whatever...) called about my resume. Called them from the car and spoke to them for a while. We shall see what happens with that.
    Linda (aka the schweetie..) is recovering from 2nd rotator cuff surgery, albeit slowly. Oldest daughter has finally gotten real, honest to God full-time teaching job in Elizabeth, NJ teaching gifted and talented class...am soooooo proud and releived. She had no hospitalization and we were worried sick. Youngest daughter has started college.thank God its a County college so $$$ is a bit less. (ASIDE to PAT: sorry for off topic, but wanted to let folks know whats been going on....Doc)

Because of job hunting pressures and my time not being my own anymore, I notified Roger that I was resigning from 'this thing of ours...'. I did not feel that I could devote the proper amount of time to OUR club and maintaining the club site. Fortunately we have others who have stepped in to carry on while I get my head--and life back together. Everything I read and hear says I shouldn't expect to find something for 6-8 months. I don't know if I can wait that long, folks.... The pressure is tremendous with the Christmas holidays right around the corner....Linda has been great about things, but i know she worries--as I'm sure your S.O's did too. Feel free to get in touch with me via my home email address.

Regards,
    Down, but not out Doc......
  • teddtedd Member Posts: 19
    rstilp: Thanks for the psi info. I think there's only around 32 psi in the tires now. Will jazz them up to 34 psi tomorrow. Thanks for the response.
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Somehow Im rated in the Top 3 of Exterior styling on Cardomain ???? The car is basically stock outside... People just must like the M :)

http://www.cardomain.com/top_rides

Only lasts 24hrs, but I'll take it :)

Was wondering how I got 2500 hits in a day...

• achanceachance Member Posts: 106
    I'm Back! Boat is in the driveway and winterized - sorta. Fish and crab are in the freezer. Time to think about cars again. 'Course it's also time to think about puttin the snow tires on.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I wouldnt call your M stock at all---those wheels, tires, and lowering are far from stock---and all those other upgrades add up to a great ride----
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    The Toranado was born in 1966. The drivetrain was actually pretty similar to the M's. The engine was mounted the long way and a chain drive was used to get power to the differential from the trans.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Nice to hear from you Doc -- hang in there.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Your ride is about as much stock as mine,LOL. Kind of sounds like foreign or domestic. Since I have changed less then 1,000 pieces of my M it is still stock.
    As long as your ticker keeps going you have a chance. Best wishes in finding new imployment, and that your wife heals very quickly.
    I was about to install the new clear turn signal lenses and found you need to remove the front bumber fesha. Too much work for just the lenses to I have put them on hold until I get the HID conversion kits and finish the front turn signal in the headlamp mod. I will see if I can get a few days off to do it.
  • rrmanrrman Member Posts: 21
    Chrysler has a full page 300M ad in this week's Time Magazine. They're trying!
  • CamcruzrCamcruzr Member Posts: 13
    I have 99'300M with PHG.37K miles. Today,(rainy, wet day) while driving,the green LED displays for drive position, radio and temp. control on the dash started flickering from normal to very bright.
    Has anyone else experienced this???
    It could be a loose wire or connection.
    Could it be a signal for potential or actual problems and the computers should be checked for problem messages.
    Does anyone have ideas on this matter?
    Well ok it isnt that stock, Im creeping in on that 1000 mod mark but I still have a ways to go lol :)
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    denverm-

I know. Geez, people are always complaining about their cars. Don't they know it's just a piece of metal and isn't perfect. All these people who think Hondas and Toyotas are so reliable. Don't they know it's just "perceived reliability" and they have as many problems as every other company. It's just that they don't get the press like the US cars.

When I read that DC was heading for Toyota like reliability down the road, I shuddered. Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire. Oh well. Guess it's just human nature.

Thanks for the link. It just goes to show you!

fastdriver
  • gary_berggary_berg Member Posts: 28
    The 99 and 2000 300 M (at least) have some problems with the way the light sensor (for automatic headlights) and the dash brightness dial interact. Was it sort of dim when you were hit by this?

I find that at certain times of the year it will happen for a few weeks while driving to/from work because it's just dim enough to _almost_ cut in the headlights. It is as if the headlights are going on/off and the dash brightness is being adjusted (try this manually to see if it is what you saw).

Try backing off the dash brightness a couple of clicks and I'll bet it won't happen again.
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Hey, it's all a crapshoot. Glad you and I are both happy drivers now!

(p.s. I was really expecting you to make note of the difference in the numbers of complaints listed in our two links . . . . LOL)
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    Good to hear from you again doc. I was good to see you in chat last week too. Keep stopping by if only for a couple of minutes.
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I too have had this light show and both times I had the dimmer switch at full brightness. I rotated the dimmer down a little and the problem went away. I now leave this dimmer a little turned down from full brightness and I haven't had the lightshow since. I think when it's at full brightness and next to that switch that makes the LED displays maximum brightness when lights are on, that bumps in the road etc cause that switch to make a little. Keeping it away from that contact keeps that from happening.
    my dealer claims the light show is caused by a bad body control module---they tried installing one already but it was defective---someone said they actually use rebuilt bcm's when replacing a defective ones--anyone know if this is true?

also where is the bcm located? is it easy to change?

I also suspect that the problem is with the setting of the dimmer switch for the dash light--mine also happens when at the top of the range--
    The auto show is coming to the Bayside Expo Center in Boston from Nov 2-10. I usually go every year. Im curious to see the chrysler display. Also want to see the Nissan 300Z
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    denverm-

"(p.s. I was really expecting you to make note of the difference in the numbers of complaints listed in our two links . . . . LOL)"

LOL... never even read them. There's is nothing happening with my car that I need to see if others are experiencing the same problem. Everything works as expected for a new car. I still think that many TL/CL owners who have problems are the young kids who drive them like racing cars. No car can stand abuse day in and day out without something giving.

Like you said- I'm glad too that we are both happy drivers. I'm REAL happy! ;-))

fastdriver
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    Nice to hear from you, Doc. I think the 300M community owes you a big debt of gratitude for your prior service. Your work certainly has helped me enjoy my M all that much more. Chrysler ought to have someone like you supporting their web services. Best wishes for you and your S.O.!

Jon
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    My 2000 M has entertained me a couple of times with the light show. My wife saw it once when she was driving it. I had my Body Control Module replaced for a door lock problem, and the light show has happened once or twice since then. I have also fiddled with the dimmer control when it occurs and this has stopped the light show each time. Maybe dirt gets on the control slider and moving it cleans the dirt.

Doc Pixel-God bless and good luck.

Silver
  • CamcruzrCamcruzr Member Posts: 13
    Thank you all for your quick response to my inquiry.Will make suggested moves and see if it helps.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Saturday, after visting the wife Caddy/Chevy dealer who was having a big buffet and cocktail party to introduce the 03's [only really got to see the 03 Vette Z06 in black and the CTS which was made in 02 with an 03 production label] I swung by the DC dealer near home around closing time. Holy Moley, there were 2 Specials--an 02 in Silver and an 03 in [hold me back] Graphite. Prior to this the only Specials they ever had were ordered models, so this was a shocker. They offered me $6K off on the Silver, and the dealer invoice price on the Graphite [about $31+K or so on a $33.6K sticker]. Had the sunroof and no side curtain air bags so I told them I would pass right now. I really don't want the roof and I am holding out for 0%/60 financing. They said they would order what I wanted for the same deal. Of note, the Graphite only had 17" wheels and no "Special" designation on the flat wheel discs. One of the two [think it was the 03] was wearing Michelin XMXH or whatever that model is. The 02 I think had MXRV plus tires and did have the "Special" on the wheel discs. I thought the HMXM was discontinued but I guess not. I went back on Sunday for a less hurried/pressured look at the 03 and noted that the ground effects really blend in with the paint as opposed to how they are set off with some of the other colors. Tried to judge if there was much of a ground clearance difference between my 99 and the 03 but couldn't see much there. Of note, they had the 03 parked under a small cherry/crabapple? tree and the hood got covered with bird droppiings, etc. As a courtesy I tried to get some of them off with my hanky, but there was so much I gave up--in tears.... A whole parking lot and they put the best car in a spot where the bird droppings can ruin the paint job. Agggh.. Almost reminds me of the great job DC marketing does with this car. When I got home and was salivating to the wife about the 03, she said, ok on new, but the old must go, and I got to work at least 3 more years. More to mull over here while I wait for 0%/60.
    It is lowered about 3/4" more then your stock M.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    Had it happen twice. If it happens, try turning the light switch from auto to full on, then back to auto. I haven't had it happen for several months now.
  • 300mspecial1300mspecial1 Member Posts: 29
    bigmike5,

Good luck on the '03. I haven't seen a Graphite one yet, so that'd be interesting to look at. I have seen the Silver (which I purchased), the Black, and the Deep Sapphire Blue. IMHO, the Silver is the best of these 3 colors and by far the easiest to maintain. If you go for the 18-inch wheel and tire package, make sure you're satisfied with the ride. The cars with the big wheels have a tendency to shake and vibrate at various speeds. If you look at posts higher up, you'll see alot of conversation around this issue. It's definitely a wheel/tire issue. If you go for it and your car shakes on the test drive, do yourself a favor and stipulate in your P&S that the contract is subject to the wheel/tire problem being resolved. Mine was fixed OK, but it was not the ideal solution.

easyrider300M,

I'll be at the show Saturday afternoon around 2:00pmish. I'd planned to check out the Special display.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Hey guys, been a while since I've written. (though I usually read most of the time) I decided to check back on the Kennebell superchargers website and it's FINALLY up! and guess what......there is a 300M in their test vehicles!!!!!!! That's good news for some of us that would love to boost HP by about 100.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    I see that Treptech website is evolving SLOWLY. I never did get my chrome intake I ordered from them in June. Although within the site it states that they are still in development stages. I basically stopped emailing and calling them. The last time I spoke with anyone I was told I would get the intake when they were ready. Well, since it's been 4 months I'm not too optimistic that they'll ever be ready. Kinda sad since I was really looking forward to getting it. Well, I think I have an open order with them still so who knows, maybe it could come as a Christmas present?? Wishful thinking.........
    I forgot to post this earlier. For those who were at the Dream Cruise dinner and saw the photo checks that I have featuring two different renderings of my 99M, I must sadly report that I have had no success in getting the company to give me any info on how long it is taking to process orders. Their web site no longer opens for me and I have had no responses to my e-mails. You may recall it took almost six months for me to get my order of 200 checks. They looked really great, but I was afraid based on the backlog they showed on their site, that they could not do a job promply enough that I could recommend them to anyone else. [So I won't.] Based upon the slowness of my first order, I was supposed to get the next order free when I needed it. I am not holding my breath on that one. There are a few other check makers who will do photos of your M but most have a sepia tone. The ones I got actually had color and were of nice texture. Oh, well, blame it on 9/11.
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    Am losing it or what. Got into my M Sunday morning and started to change my dash clock to the revised day light saving time when I realized that the dash clock was at the correct time. Now either the computer changed it automatically or I've been running for the last six months with the incorrect time. Does the computer automatically change the time as my home computer does or have I been sniffing too many Zaino fumes?
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    The owner of the local Chrysler dealership is a friend of mine. At the local watering hole today he drove up with a used 2000 slate grey 300M that he had purchased at a Chrysler auction just off lease with 17000 miles on it. Said it ran great but there seemed to be some vibration at certain speeds. I went out to the parking lot to see what tires were on it. Can anyone spell "Goodyear LS" I told him to stay more in touch with his service department.
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    You are smelling too many fumes, you have been driving for 6 months out of snyc. I forgot to change mine and noticed it on my way home to-day. By the way, it was sure fun driving here in Calgary to-day with all the snow. It sure shows who got their drivers licences lately with all the fender benders to-day. I have seen several Specials here in the last year and was wondering how many do not know that they are driving a potential time bomb unless they change their wheels. I doubt the sales people would have warned them, and then how many people read the manuals cover to cover.
    No they don't change. Luckly us Arizonan's don't change our clocks. Except for those self seting atomic ones. I had to change the time zone for it to read correctly.
    I talked to a guy that sells HID conversion kits. These are better then the Eagle light ones. They have Hella ballist/starters (which are considered the best). The base is 9006 (90 deg. bend) instead of 9006XS (stright) so he is checking if it can be modified. If the possibilty is there then I will get a set. The deal is in the pleminary but the cost will be $350 to do the Lo Beams. I will keep in touch on the progress. His limit on a group os 10.
    http://time.gov gives precise time and shows which part of the globe is dark.

For a little interactive patriotism, here's a real cool site: http://doody36.home.attbi.com/liberty.htm

• ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    The Body control module is located under the drivers side instrument panel. It is held on by four screws to the othe side of the fuse panel . its not hard to get to . Just remeber you just cant buy a new BCM and change it, the M comes with a factory alarm and sentry key system . If you do not program these into the new BCM you wont be able to start your car.
  • lapasada2lapasada2 Member Posts: 6
    I purchased my 300M in fall of 99. I have 30K on the car and have had a problem with vibration at 45mph from day one. I have had the tires balanced and rotated numerous times by difference GoodYear Dealers with little success. At 15Ks, the GoodYear People, adjusted and exchanged my tires for new ones. Same size and model. Same problem with an added problem of trouble keeping tires inflated. GoodYear Dealer now tells me it's the problem with the Factory Installed Chrome Rims and not the tires. Chrysler Dealership maintains it's the GoodYear Tires and not the Chrome Rims. Has anybody experienced this problem and of so, how was it resolved.
    I had a similar problem with keeping tires inflated on the chrome 17" Razorstars... I wasnt using the Goodyears at the time, I was using Bridgestone's... Always wondered if the rims were the problem... I solved it by selling both the rims and tires, and buying aftermarket wheels
    LOTS of folks with the Goodyears have had the vibration problem.

I don't think I've heard of the inflation problem before. I haven't had it with the 17" chrome rims on my 2000, always using Michelin tires.

• blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Do yourself a favor and replace the Goodyears with something else. Typical story -- Goodyear blames Chrysler and Chrysler blames Goodyear. Beginning 2001 model year Chrysler stopped using the Goodyears the the M's and guess what....no more problem. I had the shimmy too and dumped the Goodyears and 29K. No problems since. (Didn't have an issue with inflation though -- never heard of that one).
    Lapasada2- I have a 99M. 52K miles. I had the shimmy at low speeds [25-30 mph]. Mucho rotating using the full sized fifth tire to try to identify the problem one, mucho balancing efforts and alignment checks. Rode great at the higher speeds [60-80 mph]. I finally got tired of it one day after the dealer's balancing expert took a test drive and said he thought I had at least 2 tires with bad belts, which expained why I could never isolate the bad one--there were two. I got tired of the hassle at 40K miles and switched to Goodrich Comp TA's. I wanted to go wider and lower. They have ridden better, but I have had a problem keeping the air at the right PSI. One time the shop said that the rim on a tire that seems to always be low had some corrosion along the inside bead area, and that was causing a seal problem and a slow leak. They sanded it and it helped, but I still have to check them about every two weeks. Never had an air pressure problem with the Badyears, but the TA's are a wider tire [225/55-17 vs. 245/50-17] I can understand how the problem can develop, and you can too, if you ever use a gas station air pump. Press the valve on the hose and you will see all sorts of condensation or water spritz out. Must be condensation that forms in the compressor. Anyway, assuming some of that water gets pumped in every time you air the tires corrosion inside seems like a given. If I were you I would go to some new Yoko Avid T4's at about $90 each. Others here have raved about the difference compared to the Badyears. Good luck.
  • scottjohnsonscottjohnson Member Posts: 61
    My hat is off to you for getting the attention you did. I became completely invisible to Goodyear dealers at 12,001 miles. One tire began to pull hard at 13K miles and NOBODY wanted to deal w/ GY. One dealer told me that he usually just eats the cost of a GY tire when a customer needs work under warranty. I've never had any inflation problems w/ my chrome rims.

I'm still on my factory tires at 23K miles. Down to very minor vibration at 45-60 mph. I just can't rotate them any more. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to switch to Yokohamas before winter gets here. I'm also tempted by Pilot Sports, but they are double the cost so I doubt I'll go there.
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Interesting comments in this article from DC's Bernard Robertson re: quality and JD Powers ratings.

http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20021025S0041

• wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    are typically as close to a perfect balance as you can get, since they're machined perfectly round on a lathe after casting. At the plant, we find that the hole for the valve creates a "light"
    spot, and that amounts to a fraction of an ounce.

>GoodYear Dealer now tells me it's the problem with the Factory Installed Chrome Rims and not the tires.

Inflation problems with aluminum rims tend to point to corrosion of the bead surface or porosity in the rim casting, whereas balance issues are usually tire related.
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Many thanks to all (ESPECIALLY you, Pat..) for the kind wishes for both myself and my schweetie Linda. It has not been a good year all around, but hopefully it will get better. I've been plastering my resume at any job search website I can find. This afternoon, I submitted it to Samsung Electronics Corporation for a position as "Web creative Designer", located in NEW JERSEY about 15 minutes from my Mom's house. It was written as though it was specifically for me. I'm hoping that I'll at least get a first interview. Job description:
    ============================================================
    Develop visual creatives to be posted on the company website and external spaces

This position will be responsible for developing visual creatives
    that will be posted on the company website and external
    Internet media spaces. The types of the creatives will span
    from buttons and dialogue boxes to Internet banners of various
    sizes that often involve Flash animation. The position will
    generate ideas to improve the community forums of the
    company website and take part in implementing them. The
    position will contribute to enriching the company's presence on
    the Internet space and promoting the brand. It will also help
    the company reduce the response time of generating creatives
    as well as cut down on the expenses incurred from relying on
    external resources.
    ==================================================
    Was this written for me or what?!....

Light Show revisited, again...
    Was reading about others who have had the light show problem. Called my -234 star dealer who has yet to get back to me about when senior DC Techmaster was coming to the dealership.
    Called local Dodge dealer and spoke to service manager who said 'no problem with bringing in eMily...be GLAD to..". He did agree that it could be the BCM again, but asked specifically if it was replaced with by a Chrysler BCM....(?!). Also said that tech had to re-program the BCM, and some other stuff that escapes me right now. (Today had wisdom tooth yanked, and have, um.. self medicated with Percocet which is kicking in....)....

wine making...
    Was not involved this fall with assisting in the wine-making due to homework from my outsourcing service. I have, however been helping in quality control (tasting...)..its a tough job, ay?

Sorry Pat for the off topic stuff, but its been a while and well, the med's have a way....so....
    tomorrow I go for 3rd shot of Syn-Vesc (think of it as WD40 being injected into your knee) and hopefully it will help the agonizing pain.. If not, the ral Doc said a knee replacement might be needed (YIKES).

To Jona57, buddy thank you so much for your nice comments; but keep in mind there are others who also helped with the website. Denverm in CO has always been there, keyboard and mouse at the ready, as well as David D. in Florida. Its one of the reasons why Roger and others have asked for people to come forward and run for office and to help out in the running of OUR club, which now numbers over 440 members who have joined. Breaks down to
    120 '99 owners
    119 '00 owners
    104 01 owners
    88 02 owners
    and 10 Enthusiasts (intrepid owners, Concordes, etc...)
    Rob, thanks for your nice words too.... got to go eat something, but wanted to say a big thanks to you all.....

Doc
  • dean58dean58 Member Posts: 14
    My tires started losing pressure when the goodyears were still on car [second set] at about 45000 to 50000 miles. '99 with chrome wheels. At 50000 I put on new Michelin Energy and they continue to leak. I now have 65000 on it. The Michelin dealer has taken them off and remounted them and says he can't see a problem. One never loses air at all and the other three go down about 4 to 6 lbs a week. It seems that the problem has to be in the rims.
  • dean58dean58 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone here have one of these graphite PRO-AM's? I have seen some dealers that still have several left on their lots. I wonder how many were made and when they were first available?