Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I think he's just working now...
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I get 17-18.5 in town. Most of that on a 42 mile commute round trip in Houston traffic. I get about 250 miles to a tank if I'm lucky in my '01. The best I got on a 1500 mi trip I averaged around 23. I love the car but hate the mileage I could get better out of some SUV's I also think the gas tank on the 300 is tiny since it will only hold maybe 14 gallons on a fillup.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,731
    Hello:
    I commute about 40 miles/day, typical stop/go with some (if I'm lucky) short highway cruising. I get ~21mpg. On the highway, I've averaged ~26mpg with speeds averaging ~70mph. I run 87 octane and usually drive with (dare I even say it?) a bit of a light foot. A child of 70's gas crisis'...
    Given its size and power, I've been pleased with my mpg (not thrilled, but pleased). The evil wife's Lexus RX300 is getting about 18mpg in daily commute/errand driving.

Auto show was OK. $12 to park!!! Random thoughts: The HOnda Element is one goofy lookin' vehicle. So ugly, it's cute (unlike the Aztek which is so ugly it's ugly). A lot of interest in the Mini. I think I want one. G35 Coupe looks like a winner, too. The materials on the center stack in the Caddy CTS look cheaper than those of the Hyundais! New Saab 9-3 will be on my list when I'm next looking. It looks like Pontiac is toning down a bit of the pasted on excitement for '03.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    ?
  • doc107doc107 Member Posts: 4
    Beach,

Yes, I knew about the "engine controller." Grammatically, "engine controller" implies that one is going to control the output of the engine - not vice versa. I was stating that I wanted to be sure to have one without the restrictions which is what is on the PHP. Thanks for your feedback.

doc107
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Chrysler Makes three suspensions. the first is firm. The stock 300M's have this. Not to be confused with Lux (standard) suspension, that the LHS has, which is softer for blvd. ride. The next is sport or PHP/PHG. The Special has sport/lowered .5" springs more then the PHP springs. So the ride is firmer due to the less travel.
    Mike, has decieded not to post here very much anymore. He is still active on the club site, and is doing fine. He even made an appearance on the Chat session last night.
    I have ground down the base of the 9006 HID lamps to convert to 9006XS usability for the 300M's socket. I had to grind down more than I had hoped (just started to expose bare wire on the ground side so I stopped), but it worked and just fits into the headlamp socket with no alterations need to it (thank God) I wanted to be able to use the locking ring that secures the bulb. I will apply some silicon to make sure it stays sealed so that water can not enter through the lamp socket into the Head lamp area. To change the bulb I must remove the three torx screws instead of the locking ring, but since the bulbs are susposed to last 2000 hours (and considering the work you need to do just to get at the lamps), I do not consider it a problem. I will post additional pictures tommorrow (I have to leave for work) Because of the work involved It is a little harder to do then removing the rear fesha (for the dual exhausts) because of the care needed because of the glass bulb, and not grinding too much of the base. But for those hand with a moto tool it can be done Just do it slowly. By Saturday I hope to have pictures of the lamps in action.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Jeff- One of the tour guides at the plant, a female, after the tour took down the names and addresses of those who wanted 300M hats but couldn't get them from the shop at the plant because they didn't have enough. She said that we would get them in a month or so. So far nothing. Can you check with her and see if they are going to be available and sent to us? Thanks.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Another glorious fall day in Dallas! After 3 weeks of rain and/or solid gray clouds it was great to get the silver bullet washed. Then I prepared it for winter by putting on a coat of Z1, followed by a coat of Z2, including the silver "sparkle paint" wheels. Every time I wash it this winter I will follow up with a coat of gloss enhancer from Zaino. It really works well on the bright silver color.

I know our more meterologicaly challenged posters are changing tires, freshening up that anti-freeze, and looking for that ice scraper, Eh? ;>)

Regards,

Silver
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Actually, Mike has been spending a lot of time at another board I'm not allowed to mention here...
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    laurasdada-

I have only seen pics of the G35 in red, but I love the looks. If the BOSE is like the one I had in my J-30, it will be a winner. I'm not in the market yet- another 22 months to go! ;-))

Then again, I have almost $3,000 in credit on my GM MasterCard, so I may have to look at the Cadillac CTS with the V-8 when the time comes.

So many cars, so many choices! ;-))

Glad your car has recuperated from it's big yellow bus encounter. Did the "5-STAR" fix it?

fastdriver
  • scouterdonscouterdon Member Posts: 6
    Tom,

On long interstate trips with my '99 300m I was flirting with 30 mpg. If I used regular gas, kept the cruise on at about 65-70 mph and was not in the mountains I could reliably get 28+ mpg. Sadly THAT 300m was totaled by a red light runner on 10/26.

Yesterday I purchased a replacement. I got a 1999 Inferno Red 300m w/PHP. It has 28k on the clock. I drove a special but was not impressed. I drove a Pro-Am but was not impressed. I looked for a 2001 Inferno Red w/ PHP and Lux group but could not find one.

BTW are you the same Ton that came to the Wall Speedway event late? I was the Inferno Red '99 on the track that night.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    I will see what I can do .
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    one benefit Edmunds has over the other board is the Message center---once you log in, you can bookmark messages of importance to you. Then you can go to the message center at a later date to find those special messages. I have bookmarked several posts that had what I felt was important information This is basically one long forum. It is easier to find where you left off last time you were at the board. I myself read both boards and post as I feel I have an answer to someones question or have a question to ask.

Edmunds has some benefits and some drawbacks but its still very useful. No reason both boards can't coexist. Both boards could learn from each other's benefits and drawbacks. I know I have referenced Edmunds on that other board as being a useful site too. Pat has a point of emphasizing the rule to not overpromote another board. But its easy enough to find anything on the internet by doing a search. If someone wants to search for other boards, its easy enought to find them. This is the internet afterall and competition is healthy .
  • nc300mnc300m Member Posts: 24
    I want to replace my stock tires (225/15/17) with 255/50/17. I have read that a lot of M owner use 245/50/17 there is very little difference in the size will it fit my 99 300M. The price for the tire I want is 117.00 for 255/50/17, but the cheapest tire I want in 245/50/17 is about 200.00

Has anyone tired the 255/50/17 if so did you have any problems?

Discount tire only rec. 245/50/17.
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    If Tire Rack carries the tire you are looking at, you can go into the "specs" for the tire and it will tell you if it will fit on a 7" rim -- some brands aren't recommended for that small a width and I haven't heard of anyone squeezing a 55 on the Razorstars.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are probably the $200 ones you are referring to in the 245/50/17 size. I tried to get those but after I was told Michelin couldn't provide them for at least 10 weeks I went with the 235/55's which I'm happy with (a little wider but keeps the wheel wells filled up - and the tires are by far worth the $$). Goodrich Comp TA Scorchers I believe also come in the 245/50 size and they even have a "black" stripe now (so you don't have to get that colored tread). There are at least 1-2 M owners who have those and are happy with them.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,731
    No, my bro-in-law did the work. He's worked in autobody for 20 years, did a real nice job. Now the front half of the car looks brand new, the rear only looks nearly new.

Re: the CTS. When I first saw it before Production release, I thought it was too ugly and would be revised. Nope. At official release, still ugly, mostly the front and rear end. Over time, I've softened my stance a bit, still not my cup o' tea but it's grown (ever so slightly) on me. At the NEI Auto Show I sat in one with a window sticker of $40,000+. The interior needs a serious upgrade, especially at that price point. At $10k less, I find the interior of the M a much classier place. I'm sure that the CL would put the CTS interior to shame, too. This is just the subjective, superficial stuff, I've never driven one. The actual driving may make (imho) this pigs ear into a silk purse...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

That is just outside the remended size. 245/50 17 would be the extent (and not all dealers would even install that size tire on the stock rim.
    I added a few more showing the install and actual HID pattern. http://public.fotki.com/300M/ under exterior electral mods. The last two show the Pattern. It matches the Halagen pattern except for the amount of light. So the placement of the capsul is critical, so that it matches the exact placement of the Halagen filiment.
    Anyone from South California interested in a little experimenting?

Go here: http://knfilters.com/vehicles/needuus.htm

• toms99toms99 Member Posts: 252
    Yes, I'm the guy who showed up at the last minute at Wall Stadium! Made it just in time for the laps around the track!! And yes, I do remember your car.....

First of all, thank goodness your alive and well after being creamed by the light-runner....Shows our cars do offer some crash protection. I'm sure you were sad to see your "baby" totalled, but you have to keep on repeating to yourself, "It's just a car...."

You were lucky to find a 99 with such low mileage....I have a short daily commute and I'm at 44K with my 99.

I've never even seen a Special or Pro-Am at my dealer...What didn't you like about them????

Cheers....
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    300michael - so who is the mystery supplier and what is the cost?
    The cost was 370 dollars. If ten want to purchase the kit then it goes to 350. You do have to alter the base though, but after that is cone will work like an XS bulbe base. You have to be good with a motor tool for it to work though. I will have more on the company later.
  • scouterdonscouterdon Member Posts: 6
    Tom,

I guess I expected more out of the Special. It DID corner like it was on rails and looked great on the outside. However

I did not care for the carbon fiber trim.

I thought the acceleration was no better than my non PHP '99

I thought the seats were very inferior to the seats in the regular 300m.

All 3 Specials that I drove had a very unsettling 1-2 shift for the first cold shift. (This was at two different dealers).

All 3 Specials that I drove had a vibration that was unpleasant.

All 3 Specials had the problematic AC suffix AMP

I could not get it in Inferno Red

I could not get the luxury package

As far as the Pro Am was concerned I was hot for the golf clubs and bag but

I again did not like the dash trim (aluminum this time)

I thought the exterior badge looked hokey.

I thought the upper speakers mounted on the doors looked very cheesy on all the 2002 models.

The absolute best reason for buying the '99 was that when we sat in it we felt like we had come home. Remember that it is Identical to the car that was totaled except for the PHP. It was a very comfortable experience for us. When we sat in it we both seemed to say ahhhh.

Don
    How do you like the matching turn signals to match.
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Is that car flat primer grey?
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    just talked to tony for a little bit on aim, just brought back some great memories.

you guys a hella group of ppl, and is pat still moderating this board? believe it or not, i miss her too. haha just kidding pat you were always my fav :)

fastdriver, otto, tom, bigmike, glen, mike, tony, just to name a few, is jason still on here? ha i remember when i was changing brake pads and i slipped off the stool, smacking the wrench of the caliper, loosened the nut and WHOOSH brake fluid all over the place. try getting your mom to help you bleed the brakes....mad fun.

but anyway im gonna be back daily, and i dont remember, did i show you guys that tailight thing i did?
    scouterdon -

If you have a 99 300M, the color is Candy Apple Red. The Inferno Red came out later- 2000, I think.

AV-

Always looked forward to your pics and mods! I remember that brake story! ;-)) Too bad about the NSX, but that's not a very practical every day driving car for work or school- is it? 20,000 miles and 20 months on my car and no problems! Runs like a top. Everything works and nothing has fallen off or broken YET!! ;-)) Just plain old 'boring".

fastdriver
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Good to have you back, av. :)

(just don't forget where the "picture posting" discussion is! ;->)
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    of course pat, i remember :)

quick question, can i post two pics of my bike up here?

fastdriver the NSX was awesome, purely awesome. i dont think i will drive a better sports car than that. orignal vtec motor, with brakes almost as good as a bike. 6pistion brembo's...drool...

it took off from 120 like you were standing still. mid engine was awesome to work on, tons of room to mount ps2 in the trunk :) but...right now, it just didnt go with me. and the bank loans oh god *puts head down and sobs. just dont ask. but i made a tiny profit off of it so im happy, i'll definitely try to get one later one day perhaps. ok your making me miss it too much.

my new project is a 1990 ford bronco II yessss. it was out of tornado country, oak tree chopped its roof off. so the guy rebuilt it, and then another tree fell on it. pat can i post a pic up here? just one pleeeeeeez. well actually heres a link..

http://home.insightbb.com/~u8/thumbs\index.html

so im gonna be doing some work to that, got it for $400 cant beat that. 100k miles but i wanna put a triton v8, sometimes you just have to love ford :):):) new drivetrain, clutch, brakes, wheels tires maybe some paint. it books for 4900. i just wish it wasnt so butt ugly, but it kinda grows on ya.

I hope you still have your Beauty Shop (for cars) and am looking forward to your (I hope lots)pictures. Just don't put the 300M's front on that BroncoII ;)
  • 300mspecial1300mspecial1 Member Posts: 29
    scouterdon,

I agree with you on the carbon fiber trim and the straight line acceleration. They don't move out any better than any other 300M. I think I would have preferred the look and ambience of wood over the carbon fiber too. The money was obviously spent on the handling. I've had the opportunity to drive several 300M's since 1999 and have always enjoyed them. The Special is a much better handler for a not significant sacrifice in ride quality, assuming you snag one that doesn't vibrate. If you look back a ways in the posts here, you'll find a great discussion on this very issue. It's a wheel/tire balance problem. Mine did the same thing and after a great deal of effort, my dealer was able to fix it. My car now rides as smooth as glass and I enjoy it much more. In all honesty, I'm not impressed that the cars were released with this defect and many dealers try to pass it off as normal due to the 18-inch wheels and low profile Pilot Sports. Naturally, it makes sense that a car riding on stiff low profile performance rubber is going to ride harder and transmit more through to the driver, but this issue is well beyond that and is definitely NOT normal. Don't let anyone try to convince you it's normal.

I traded an '01 Camaro SS with an optional SLP Bilstein suspension package for my Special. I knew I was making a HUGE trade-off in straightline punch and figured I'd be giving up quite a bit in handling and braking too. I've been VERY pleasantly surprised at how well my Special drives. It doesn't move out with the authority of the Camaro of course, but it does well enough for what I need right now. However, it handles every bit as well as my SS did and that's no BS. I've strafed a few of my most favorite decreasing radius highway offramps with this car and it's been every bit as composed and stable as the SS was at the same speeds. The brakes are WAY better than my SS. This car stops with authority NOW. The pedal is firmer, the feel is stronger, and they don't get tired as quickly, even though the Special is a heavier car. I have a good friend with an SS who rags me in jest all the time because I've commented on the Special's handling. I've offered many times to let him drive it, but he hasn't accepted yet. The handling on this car is good enough to surprise alot of people and I think maybe he's afraid I might be right. I wouldn't say if it weren't true.

I also agree with you on the transmission. When in "D", it holds the gears way too long before making the upshifts and it hunts around too much between 35-45 mph. When it's cold, I drive it in autostick mode because I don't like driving it at a sustained 3500-4000 rpms just after it's first been started on a very cold morning. I've noticed in autostick mode that at part throttle operation, the 2-3 upshift is very jarring and you can really feel the drivetrain wobble with the force of the upshift. It also revs too high at highway speeds. Maybe I was spoiled with my 6th gear in the SS. That car was only taching about 1700 rpm at 70mph in 6th. The 300M really needs that 5spd auto. That's really the only gripe I have with the car. I love the exterior styling. I've always loved the look of the 300M. There really isn't anything else quite like it on the road, but I felt it was missing just a little something. The lower cladding is just enough and is tastefully done. The 1/2-inch lowering and big 18-inch wheels and tires fill the wheel-wells just right and give the car the hunkered down look it needs. I saw an '03 Special in Black at the New England Auto Show in Boston last weekend and it had the 17-inch chromies on it and a rear wing. That definitely didn't work IMHO.
  • silverbeesilverbee Member Posts: 22
    Finally got around to looking at your pictures at sd's site(how's he do that)? Car looks great on pictures. Does it look that good close up??I like your duels don't worry I took mine back twice beore I got the sound I was looking for.I see you put on the wind deflectors too I like them look good.Got the right emblem and put it on mine also.Hey I found that list with all the parts listed that you gave us,that would have saved me a little aggra.I also thought about the hats but all the others that were not in her group heard about it and signed up for them also and I just figured no way was she going to get that many.Got almost 30k on my 01 already and if I keep this up I'll be in the same boat as you, buying a new one and working a couple more years.Later
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    What? A 300M with a mesh grille and blue turn signals and none of you guys have any comments? I thought I read several posts from M guy's looking for just that type of grille. Here's your chance the design work is done just flood them with requests.
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Already sent an email asking them if I could buy one of those grills... Id buy the hood too if they would sell it... Then have Av put his scoop on it :) I love the Nitrous bottle in the rear window...

More pics of it can be found here:

http://www.ruhproductions.com/gallery/album24?&page=3

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    ?
    I like the grille, the color and the hood, but I like my headlamps and clear (lens) turn signals much better. My hood is not bad eather.

http://public.fotki.com/300M/
  • hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    A friend of mine bought a top of the line Cooper S today. $26000. Granted it has a navigation system. The dealer asked me if I wanted one, too. I told him for $2500 more I got a real car. The Mini is cute and fun to drive. But that is a lot of money for a "shoebox" on 4 wheels. Amazing how much more car for the buck you get with a 300M (or other 4 doors sports sedan).
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    Any input on shock life for the Non-PHP 300M. Our 1999 seems to be riding rougher than it used to ride. We are just short of 20K miles.
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Your car is great. I have been to you site quite often, so much to see that I always find something new. I agree you clear turns look great especially on your light cypress. Actually I like you hood better. I love hood scoops, especially if their functional like yours.
    Just thought the mesh grille would have gotten more comments.
    Thought the blue turns would look great on steel blue, white, or silver.
    Wow, what a diff those Hid's showed on you garage wall, looks like no alignment problem.
    Not sure on actual life length, but what you're probably feeling is the "new" ride after things have broken in. I remember my grandfather telling me about a 99' 300M that they were putting 4 new struts on in the shop he's at everyday, and the car only had 30k miles.

They're either getting a little more worn, or you're just too used to driving that new 03' Bravada with air ride...!
    Better buy while the buying is good before they disappear!

http://www.detnews.com/2002/insiders/0211/10/d01-6239.htm

fastdriver

• rrmanrrman Member Posts: 21
    The Nov 11 issue of Time magazine includes a full page x250hp ad for the 300M.
    It appears a downhill skier multiplied by 250hp equals a 300M in the twisted math of advertising. Besides driving = Love, the ad claims: "Agile performance multiplied by a High Output 250hp V6 engine equals 300M - the most powerful sports sedan in its class* - with performance-tuned suspension, traction control, and four-wheel ABS"
    *Based on 2002 EPA Large Car Segment equipped with a V6 engine.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    My brother went to his local dealer on the weekend , he's thinking of getting a Special(if he can work out a god price for a 2002) . So he goes in and takes a look at the one in the showroom . Jumps in the drivers seat, grabs the wheel and is shocked at what he sees. Says to the salesman "Hey ,do you see anything wrong with this steering wheel " the sales guy says NOPE.
    Its got a DODGE airbag on it . SAD , very sad. Even the PDI guy missed this .Wait till I tell them at work about this.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I guess that could happen on the assembly line pretty easily since the Intrepid and the 300M are built on the same line--
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    In the immortal words of Homer Simpson: DOH!
    (8-(|)
    ottowrkr-

:-)))) With how they are mixed coming down the line, I'm surprised there isn't more of this. WHY don't they build 300's at one time, then Intrepids and then Concordes? Less chance of the wrong parts being put on the wrong cars. I never understood that.

fastdriver