Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    DR.; Its great to hear from you again. Hope the search is becoming fruitful. I've had the lightshow a couple of times but, its usually been when the sensor was confused by dusk or borderline darkness. Hasn't happened during total darkness.
    I did back off the rotary dial, no big deal, and not that big of a difference in brightness. Just trying to avoid the 5*.
    Again, good to hear from you; keep on pluggin'.
    Rick/Geezer300M
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Doc, I hope everything works out ok for you and your wife. I need a job, too.

The BCM may cost $1,000, but the dealer will replace most with a "refurbished" BCM (one that was returned for some reason). That's what happened with mine, only the tech didn't program in all the features of the original, ie, the seat doesn't move back when exiting, and the alarm led doesn't flash slowly after the alarm is set. Next time I go to the dealer for something they can program it properly.

Good luck!

Silver
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Mine is going in next week for the new bcm---I dont think its the bcm but thats what they want to do. I think its also that rotary light switch cause when I back it off a little I never have the problem---so after they replace the bcm, I will test and if still bad they can replace the switch too.

I didnt realize the bcm's go for $1000 a whack. Does it affect the climate control.. My climate control seems out of adjustment. If its 45 outside and I set it to 70, it blows cold air--I only get heat if I set it to 76 or above---below 35 it works better . Wonder if the bcm will help this problem.

Doc: why dont you set those things like the seat etc. yourself and save a trip to the dealer.
  • lightningcladlightningclad Member Posts: 1
    Just kidding. Hello all...I'm relatively new to the Chrysler world (I'll be purchasing a 300M late November)...

Just have one question regarding the ProAm edition...how come so many 2002 models are left? Any technical reason, or just consumer preference (or lack thereof)? They're making some serious deals on 'em (the 2002 models)....anything I should know about, assuming I like the colors, etc.?

Thanks!
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    My guess is that maybe people are preferring to purchase the Specials rather than the standard M -- so maybe why so many. I think the Graphite is an awesome color (only available on the Pro Am edition for '02 models) and I also like the aluminum trim. This color is now available on the 03 Specials (but doesn't look right with the aluminum wheels IMO).
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    easyrider300m - yes the BCM does affect the climate control system, but there are also many sensors external to the BCM that send information to the BCM as well as parts that are controlled by the BCM. Point is anything in the loop can be causing this problem.
    I am trying to find the "winged" analog clock trim that was installed in the '99 LHS (agate color). Went to the dealer and ordered the correct part number but was sent the current part instead. Any assistance in finding this part would be greatly appreciated!!
  • teddtedd Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for your input on tire pressure and rotation for Michelin Pilots. Much appreciated.
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    I live in metro-Denver and have discovered that there isn't a Ziebart dealer within 150 miles (at least according to the Ziebart website and my local Yellow Pages). I'd like to get some sound deadening work done on our '99 300M, but I'm not sure where to look for an Applicator now. Anybody know of acceptable competitors to Ziebart that I could look for locally?
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    My 2000 M has Zeibart sound deadening. My dealer brought the car in from another dealer who had already installed it (no charge to me). I'd say it would be a waste of money, whatever it costs.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    The reason that there are so many 02's around is the brilliant marketing team that DC assembled for the M. Last August they didn't/couldn't even have a rep appear at the plant tour to speak with "rubber-meets-road" owners of the cars. On the other hand,if they didn't do such a "great job" there would probably be no savings off the sticker price. They are giving $6K off the stickers here for the 02's including the Specials.

Ziebart sound deadening. I had it done on my 99 when I first got it. Cost $159. The Ziebart brochure shows a chart with DBs compared and the improvement appears modest. I think I recall a number like a reduction of 7 Decibels. They also have two levels of their treatment. I got the full treatment and noted a modest improvement. My dealer just started doing Rhino spray-on coverings, like they use in truck beds, and apparently it can be used elsewhere too. I am going to talk to them about spraying the inside of the wheel wells with that stuff which lays on about 1/8" thick. I'm not sure what it costs or if it will help lower the noise more, or if it will impact the wheel well space with my larger tires and wheels, but I am gonna check it out.
  • psterpster Member Posts: 293
    I now have 50,000 miles and 3.5-4.0 years on my 1999 300M. Although the battery starts the car fine, I am concerned that it will die over the course of this winter. My past experience has been that after 3-4 years they generally go kaput, especially OEMs. I have collected the past posts by ottowkr on removing the battery from the top (let's make sure otto stays in good health, we need him!!). Can anyone recommend a good replacement battery? Thanks all, Phil (P.S. a/c still working fine after sealant application and 24 oz recharge).
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    I just did the same thing with my 99... The old one worked fine, but thought it probably didnt have alot of life left in her... I replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top Battery... They are supposed to be really good batteries... I guess I will find out... No problems yet... It was nice and easy to change, just turn the wheel and slide the battery out of the wheel well...
    Actually, I am going to remove it from the top after removing the air intake box as per previous posts. Removing that panel in the wheel well is a pain in the %@$#!@#*.

Can you tell me where you purchased the Optima? I have seen that name.....thanks. Phil
  • latinman2latinman2 Member Posts: 4
    Brenda:

Speak spanish and your email adress???

Thanks.
  • 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    I too have had poor luck with Mopar batteries. My trucks went kuput in 2 years, our Jeep in 3 yrs, so when I hit the 3yr 50K mark, I replaced it even though things seemed fine. The two other Mopar batteries were fine and then all of a sudden you get in, turn the key, and nothing, all lights out etc. Had like 2 Volts or less at the battery posts. It's like the battery plates inside just separated, shorted or whatever. Fortunately I was in front of a Walmart/K-mart both times and just walked in a bought a replacement, installed in the parking lot and drove home.

This time I got it before it got me. I replaced mine with an Interstate Megatron MT-34.
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    I bought mine off ebay... They had free shipping and a good price... You dont need to remove the panel in the wheel well to replace the battery, just push it out of the way... I think its 1 screw, and 2 of those fasteners...
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    spalatt- just found another Evic that guy is selling on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=1873159377&rd=1

pster- all is good. Yeah remove it from the top , much easier.

We are laid off again next week , 1 week only. Also we just heard its official that we will be getting 2 weeks off after our 2 week Xmas holiday. 1 month off , how do they (DC) expect me to pay off my Xmas bills ????LOL !!

• drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    I attmpted to access chat room and was unable to get in. Errot code came up stating unable to find chatroom.class. I went to QuickChat forum and found the fix and corrected the problem. Apparently this has been happening to others also. The room is active NOW (11:32pm EST/EDT...). Also found an additional "0" (zero) in a line of the code that made the chatroom HEIGHT 4000 pixels high, which pushed the logon area way, way, WAY down on the page.
    Sorry for the problem, though it wasn't anything I did....

Doc
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    I have done all my tire/brake business at a local, family owned Big O Tire franchise. They always give the extra service that you never get from a non-entreprenurial store....capitalism lives. Anyway, regarding lug tightening, their SOP is an initial light tightening with pneumatic wrenches followed by a final torquing with a hand torque wrench. They follow this procedure EVERY time they replace a wheel on any car. I have them rotate and balance every 6,000 miles and got such good smooth mileage out of the stock LS's that I replaced with same. As far as brakes go, I recently had the fronts reworked for the first time. The pads still had some lining left but the rotors were finally getting warped to the point that the pulsing in the brake pedal was annoying. So, they turned the rotors, installed ceramic Raybestos pads for $150 and they work great. I've never heard of a request to re-torque lugs after 25 miles. My experience has been that if its done right (as above), its not an issue. I now have 99,000 miles on my '99 non-PHP (lots of hwy miles so my service intervals are not typical).
    Whatever happened to the tune that the Sears "Diehard" was the best battery? I am coming up on 4 1/2 years with the OEM battery, and although there have been no problems yet, I figured maybe it was time to change before the winter weather gets real cold. Never heard of the Optima brand til it got mentioned here previously. Have heard of Interstate but know nothing about their rep.

On Scotian--I emailed him and he is alive and well and working too hard. Hopes to be back and posting in the near future.
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    The OEM battery in my T-bird and Windstar up and died just at the 3 year mark.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    You're fortunate to have found a professional brake shop. I go to Sears because I know they will make it right two or three years later while an independent often goes out of business (especially in this city). Thanks for the info about the torquing technique. I still have a little shimmy when coasting from 60 mph with hands off the wheel. I am worried about the tie rods now.

Silver
  • splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Dang, that is awesome! I wish I had the cash lying around, that has to be a good deal. I know the tire sensor units themselves are about $60 each ($55 for the sensor, $3 or so for the caps). Even if the evic was $325 like the other auctions, it's still $125 for the magnet and sensors.

Wish I had the cash ;)
    Can you tell me where you purchased this battery? I have one in my Camry and it has been good. Thanks, Phil
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    beach15-

UGH!

fastdriver
    I picked up that Interstate Battery at a local tire store. Around here different shops and repair places carry interstate batteries and you have to look for them. No auto parts store I know of carries them, for most of them have their own brands. If they carry a name brand it tends to be Champion or Delco.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Now that I've looked at the picture for an hour, it doesn't stand out as much as it first did. Guess I just got caught up in the moment...you know, bizarre things happen. It really, really, looks like a new Mercedes and I think that's why I like it. The Chrysler name throws it off a little though...
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I copied the picture to my desktop and then blew it up. It got fuzzy, but it also became apparent that the front end isn't nearly as flat and slab like as the small picture leads you to believe.

I wasn't fond of the 300M when if first came out, thought the Intrepid looked better. But the M grew on me and I think this new car might do the same. No question that it's a big change from the wedge shape the LH's have had for the last 6 years.
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    bigmike5 - Sears still are the best batteries. Came out on top again in Consumer Reports tests this year. Their 5 year batteries last 5 years, or more.

Is it just me or did something about batteries change during the '90s? It seems like you used to know when a battery was starting to die. Hard starts or needing a jump on a cold day. Not now! Last summer I jumped in my old S-10 Blazer, hit the key, and nothing. The night before it fired the beast right up. Put it on the charger for the night, nothing. Jump started it from the 300M and headed for Sears. 3 miles from the house in the middle of a main street in morning rush hour, it quit and I rolled to a stop. I was half a block from an auto electrical shop so I had them check everything out. Only thing wrong was a dead battery. Guy at the shop said the batteries of past 10 years were like that. No warning.

ottowrkr - Regarding that AutoWeek photo, no offense, but to me it looked like a hearse for "low-riders". Mind you, I loved the look of the 300M the first time I same it, but that thing is going to have very limited appeal.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Hey I checked out your photo web shots. I like the HID's. Where did you come up with the XENON's? I thought the only ones available were the Eaglite's? I was one of the few that wants to do the HID upgrade. I'd love to do it soon, but I was kinda waiting to see how you liked yours. How long did it take to install yours?? I kinda trust the Xenon name over the Eaglite's, which I believe you thought the same. Any problems with oncoming cars flashing their brights at you??? Me, I think I would just put up with it. HID's are awesome.
    Too bad you live in Arizona or I would check out your ride in person. What part do you live? I have family in Phoenix and Glendale. I live in Ohio and the weather is gettin cold, I should pay Arizona a visit!!
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Actually they are 9006 base HID lamps, that I had to convert (remove the "L" part of the base) to 9006XS lamps. The conversion took about 30minuets for the first one and about 15 for the second one (I had to learn from the first one). I made them fit the stock lamp base and they use the locking/retainer ring just like the stock bulbs. They do have a slightly different light pattern and the only problem is they flar up on the sides a little, but have not been flashed yet.
    I can say I like the light out put and the road sings and lines really stand out now. I got the 5200K temp bulbs as they have a whiteer light and more out up 3200Lums The blue bulbs that you normally see are more in the 6000K slighty blue tint and have an out put of 3000Lums Halagens put out about 1400Lums.
    Pluses are I got to keep the stock lamp assembly (which I like much better then the Specials, and the light out put. Drawbacks are because of the reflector assembly the light pattern is not consistant, and the price. I will take some additional photos once I get to feeling better. So far it looks like not even ten are interested so I think the group buy is out. They did distroy my plans on incorperating my turn signals into the headlamps (the HIDs were just too bright).
    The Eaglelight uses Osram ballists which are not as good as the Hella ones plus they would not tell me the maker of the bulbs. For the couple of dollars I would rather have better parts.
    Most people are soo busy working that they can not spend the money they earn, or they have no money and all the time in the world.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    for the info! I haven't decided what I'm going to do about the lights yet. I don't really want to go modifying anything(light bulb bases). I like plug-n-play type things. I would have to say putting in my Billet grill was by far the most difficult thing to date, since I did it without removing the front bumper cover.

This week I ordered a K&N Aircharger kit (xmas present to me!) I finally gave up on the Treptech product. I ordered it in June and have never received it. Oh well. I just can't wait any longer, I need more POWER! I figure, coupled to my Borla I should feel the difference, right?
    Will you ever be telling us who this mystery supplier is for the the HID kits. I have an LHS and the 90 degree base would be a plug and play situation for me. The non-group purchase price that you quoted of about $380 is the cheapest price I have ever seen for HID kits. I would really like to know the source, do they have a website?
    I will post it at the club site.
    I ran into the same thing Wednesday night tried for half hour.
    Top this one: I was doing 70 in the left lane of the elevated section of I64/40 in St. Louis when the OEM battery in my Camry decided to deep six 3 years ago. I mean the thing just went deader than a door nail in heavy traffic and the car shut down 100% - no steering, no brakes, nada. It was a miracle that I was able to muscle the car over three lanes onto an exit ramp. Fortuneately, a Motorist Assistance truck was behind me and saw what happened. He swore I had a bad alternator. Turns out the alternator was fine, just a dead battery. First time I ever had a battary fail while I was moving.....strange. I can only imagine it couldn't hold any charge from the alternator whatsoever.
  • scottjohnsonscottjohnson Member Posts: 61
    OK. My past experience has been that once you got the car running, you didn't really need the battery since the alternator keeps the car going. A dead battery wasn't a big deal if you could get a jump start. It is starting to sound as if there are new rules in play. Has something else changed in the design of cars in the last few years?
    Scott, that is exactly whay I thought and the reason the Motorist Assist guy said my alternator had to be bad. I actually had the car towed to a Toyota dealer in a rainstorm. The dealer called the next morning and said the only thing wrong with the car was adead battery. I specifically asked them to test the alternator and he said it was in perfect order with good output. New battery and car has run fine since. I still can't figure out why the car just went blink dead at 70 mph. It scared the ^@%$@ out of me.
    Did I see the wrong picture on that web page? What I saw was another butt ugly cross between an Aztek [of Waste Management Trash truck fame] and a "Family Queen Truckster" of Vacation, the movie, fame. Or maybe it just looks like the old Taurus station wagons of a few years back. I was hoping to see a 300N in the flesh. Did I get the wrong picture? Another DC dog. Well, it made me "woof."
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    No, that's the sports tourer wagon of the LX-platform, that we've all read about, in addition to the 300N and the Concorde & Intrepid replacements. It's low, muscular, and powerful looking, and has very clean, uncluttered, smooth-flowing lines. And, this is a picture of just the wagon, from far away, and in steel blue. The 300N has a different front and rear, and is a sedan too boot. It's still to bad no one snapped a view of a new "N" though...

I must say, the main appeal of the new LX's to me, is the Hemi V8. We were never impressed by our M's sluggish V6, but these last 7 months with a big, honking V8 have been nothing short of marvelous. It puts you back in the seat, and still gets very good gas mileage for it's size and performance. A highly styled, luxurious sedan, with terrific ride & handling (read: crisp & firm), a much stiffer structure (MB vaultlike), and that Hemi under the hood, and you have a winner. Now, if they only give it great performance, refinement (cut the road & wind noise), and don't strangle the Hemi's grunt (like the M's trans does to the 3.5)....
    Actually the Stock (plane Jane) M is faster then most of the Chevy truck until you get over the 6L size V8's. If you are talking about the special then you will need to go to the big block Z71 to give it a run. Not bad for a 3.5L six with a less then steller transmission. Not to mention haveing to spend over 6K additional clams to do it.
    My other Chrysler, a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan did the same thing. Only two years old, it just quit while my wife was driving it. She was able to get it restarted and limped home. Rather than pay to tow it, I went out and bought a $50 battery at the local discount parts store and dropped it in. Fired right up. It was due for a major maintenance cycle anyway so I drove it to the dealer and had them check the electrical system along with other work. They found nothing. It has run perfectly ever since.
    You see Mopar batteries really are junk. All these batteries just all of a sudden quiting to function is rediculous. Change your battery before you get stranded. I had a similar experience with a Dodge Ram and Jeep Grand Cherokee. I changed the battery in the M to avoid a third experience.
  • rrmanrrman Member Posts: 21
    I had a five year Diehard die in six months in my New Yorker. Inconvenient, but totally "free" replacement.
    Another device that can give you the shutdown in traffic thrill is the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Around 110K my old New Yorker taught me that one. It usually restarted in nuetral. And would restart after "cooling" off. But I got it towed after waiting 15 minutes the last time. Started right up at the repair shop the next day but the trouble code told the tale. I wonder how common that is!
  • samdukesamduke Member Posts: 2
    Help!!
    I have a 1999 300M with 40K. Both headlite lens have a fog on the outside, resembles overspray and some areas are still clear. I tried cleaning with tar remover and lacquer thinner in a small spot. It feels rough to the touch.
    I still have the OEM in my 300M after 4 years and nearly 100,000 miles. Go figure. Hey Otto, you know anything about the wide variance in the performance of these OEM batteries?