Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• denisefromca1denisefromca1 Member Posts: 22
    Guess they want to drain the market for as much money as they can get. Isn't that the way of the world? Every year, getting a little bit better, never giving you everything you want until they run out of ways to improve. First Batteries, then Lightbulbs now they are messing with my ride..........AUUUGGGGG! Thanks for the info. I'm disappointed but better informed.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    The Brochures back in 98=99 were some of the best I have ever seen, they had transparancys in them for the interior and exterior. I have one for each year and, I too have noticed the downsizing of them.
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >300michael - for some reason the email I sent you was returned to me.

Mike, your profile still shows ...hotmail.net rather than .com
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    More of the Dodge "Magnum", now with a front view pic. Looks a little strange from the front, but that's just me:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5577&sid=178&n=158

• ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    but I love the look of the Magnum , big and bold. Not like everything else out there , it says DODGE in your face.
    Any of you guys going to the Detroit Auto show this Jan ? We are laid-off for the first two weeks of Jan , so a bunch of us work will be going down to see the show and the LX concept car.
    I am starting to miss cab forward already. They looked like the future not the past. If they are going to do the past make PT Cruisers.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    is that the Dodge version of the Pacifica---isnt the Pacifica coming out sometime in 2003? I like the styling from the side of both the Magnum and Pacifica--both definitely Macho vehicles..
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Yesterday I was letting my car warm up outside while I was in the house... I walked by the window and saw smoke comming from the engine ! Ran outside and turned it off, looked at the temp guage and it was way above normal. Opened the hood and the radiator overflow was spewing coolant all over the engine... Anyone have any ideas what could make this happen ? Im heading to the 5* tomorrow... :(

I dont think the fans on the radiator ever came on, wonder what could cause this ?
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Well, based upon my starter episode, I ran Wyckoff's data base, and there are two relays involved in the cooling system, and both are less than $10. Also a waterpump is $85, and there are a couple of other parts like the thermostat that are pretty cheap, but don't know what the labor would be to install. Unless the problem is clear to them when they look at it I would start with the two relays, and move on to the thermostat, and then...gulp, the pump, which may be real labor intensive to repair if I recall what Otto told me last summer at the Cruise.
  • dean58dean58 Member Posts: 14
    I had the problem with steam coming from under the hood yesterday after driving about 20 miles and then stopping and shutting the engine off. I have a 2002 with only 450 miles on it. When I opened the hood it sounded like the coolant was boiling in the tank but the heat gauge was in mid-range. The cap was loose on the tank so when it cooled off enough I tightened it hoping that it just never had been tightened properly. It seems to be fine now after another 30 or so miles but I'm leaving on Sat for a 3000 mile trip so I hope the problem is solved!!
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    came on for the first time yesterday at 99,250. Owner's manual says--engine, emissions or transmission problem. Anyone know anything more specific?
    could be anything---you could read the code yourself --not sure of procedure--it depends what year it is---then you could look up at allpar.com what the code stands for--then proceed to either repair it or bring it to a mechanic.. The "other" board has a discussion about this.

EZ
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    easyrider is right....could be anything. In my past experiences it was just a sensor gone bad. Sometimes they will clear themselves out the next time you start the car, and never come back. However, if it doesn't go out(engine light), then take it in ASAP. I had a sensor go bad, and within 2 days the car was inoperable. I believe it was an oxygen sensor.
    Dont worry, its only a rental... I gave the dealer a nice big list of repairs I want taken care of, lets see how many they "cannot duplicate"... Glad I have the Extended Waranty, the dealer told me about a guy who paid $5500 in
    repairs yesterday... bet he wished he had the waranty...

I didnt know how spoiled I am driving the M... This Ford Focus is a POS.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    My only incident with this light occurred when my tranny speed sensor went bad. Tranny went into "limp mode" (2nd gear only) and the check engine light came on. Fixed under warranty. 42,000+ miles and all continues to be well.

Nice to hear an M reaching just shy of 100,000 miles. I hope the engine light is nothing major for you.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I posted a message about a crack on my dash along the passenger air bag seam a while ago... I know someone else here was interested it what happend with that... Well here's the story, I just got a call from my service advisor offering to replace the entire dash for a total of $200... He said Chrysler knows they have a problem with that happening and is offering to offset the cost of fixing it... Not bad considering my added care waranty doesnt cover it, and the retail price on the dash is around $800, then you would have add the labor to take everything apart and put it back together...
    Turned out to be the "Cooling Fan Module", new part is on order and covered under added care...

I love my extended waranty... It has already paid for itself...
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Thanks for the feedback. The light came on Sunday just as I was leaving town for a 300 mile roundtrip. It was running fine, so I just kept going without incident. The engine and trans seem fine, so I'm leaning towards the emission system, maybe like Cmyers says, an O2 sensor or something. I hope it doesn't become disabling because I can't get it in until Friday AM. Will do a 30,000 mile maintenance cycle and my first tune-up in four years!!!! Simply amazing for those of us raised on points and distributors.

LD-the (almost) 100K has been a joy. The styling of this car remains remarkably fresh in my eyes. I've been following some of the comments here regarding the next gen 300 and I have to agree, the M is classic, the N (or whatever it ends up being called) seems to be heading towards something less. As I have noted numerous times in this forum, my maintenance/reliablity record is not typical due to all the highway miles I drive on business. But I can't help but brag about the brilliant compromise between performance and economy achieved by this vehicle. Plenty of power and great mileage coupled with lots of room, awesome styling and relatively low maintenance costs. I have this persistent thought that maybe I should buy one of the last of the M's and just stash it because its been such a great car.

Came within 20 feet of getting a new M this a.m. Missed a really large doe by a lucky and quick reflex action on the brake pedal. She was crossing a four lane highway through a commercially developed section of town at full speed, and that is also what saved her life as I was just accelerating thru 50 mph in the travel lane when I saw a brown blur after she ran thru the passing lane, and there I was. The guy behind me in the BMW must have wet his shorts when I stomped the brake. He missed my rear end by about 15 feet. I am really careful and drive below posted speed limits near wooded areas, but this babe must have been visiting some residential or commercial properties. Whew.
  • muskateer3muskateer3 Member Posts: 103
    I recently replaced my front brake pads with Chrysler's "value-line" pads ($43).

When I opened the package, I noticed that the design of the "anti-rattle" clips has been revised from the double S shape that had to be friction fit between the pads and caliper bracket to a flat plate that simply rides on the caliper bracket. These were condiderably easier to install than the prior incarnation.

Also, whereas the prior pads seemed to carve grooves into my rotors almost immediately after installation, these have been on the car for almost three months and the rotors still have a polished mirror-like finish. The bite of these pads is also improved over the prior Chrysler pads, while the operation is silky smooth and silent.

After three years of griping about my one problem area with this car, I feel the issue has finally been addressed properly. Took them awhile, but they got it!
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    So you like the Value Line pads better? I'm planning on getting the carbon metallic pads that I currenly have on my M (I hate them) replaced with OEMs and I thought I would have to pay the $120+ Chrysler charges for the stock pads. But if you're saying the Value Lines are better...maybe I'll go that route. I wonder if they will last as long as the stock.
  • muskateer3muskateer3 Member Posts: 103
    They look very well made. Teflon shims all the way across the back, chamfered edges, smooth machined finish on the backing plates themselves.

I was and continue to be VERY impressed. Even if they don't last as long, with this kind of performance vs. price, I am not concerned.
    The Pinnacle carbon metallics I put on a few months ago have broken in very well. It took a little time buth they have quieted down to what the OEMs were like. No dust to speak of and good braking action on the new Advanced Rotor Technolgy channeled rotors. I take it that your C-M pads didn't work out.
    I've had the CM pads since March and don't like them at all. I don't know what brand they are (had a local brake place install them when they resurfaced my rotors). They squeal like crazy almost ever time I stop (embarrassing sometimes), still have a lot of brake dust, and don't feel like they grip too well. I definitely don't feel as comfortable with them as I did the OEMs.
    I have CM pads mounted on the fronts (performance friction brand) with new Raybestos rotors. No complaints here. Nearly silent, great stopping distance, no fading, no warping yet of the new rotors (1000 miles)etc. Very slight barely perceptible grinding noise but no squealing. And only $35 for the front set at Autozone. I paid $69 to have them mounted with the new rotors (50 each at Pepboys).

Blonda: why dont you ask the shop that mounted them what brand they used---Maybe they gave you semimetallic (bait and switch) instead. You may be able to tell by looking at the pads when they remove them and compare them to actual CM. What brand rotors are you using?
  • kinchbobkinchbob Member Posts: 4
    Is there any way to search the archives on this site? My wife's 2000 just had the front door lock go out last month (not covered under the extended warranty - $200 at the stealer), and now the rear lock is going out. Is this common? Is it an easy do-it-yourself fix? Should the dealer cover it?

Other than this, the car has been fantastic - over 50,000 trouble free miles.
    Still have the stock rotors -- just had them resurfaced. I probably should ask the shop about the brand -- I actually should have really taken the car back after a couple months but got too busy.
    Go to the Club site and find a thread where SDMike has entered a response. He has a personal site and one of the pages is a listing of all the 300M Tech Support Bulletins, and there maybe one for this problem. This is a well known defective part. I had one go at 29K miles on my 99 so it was covered by my warranty.

If you decide to do it yourself, try Wyckoff Chrysler on the net for part prices. As far as getting into the door, Rogor2k posted some nice directions for the front door when he was putting in Muth directional mirrors, but I don't know about the back door area. Maybe Otto or SDMike have a manual that would help.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Yesterday I got a fleeting glance at an M in downtown Dallas. It was very shiny white with a wing, custom chrome wheels and a nifty chrome billet grille. Overall effect was beautiful.

Silver
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    regarding doolock problem....my drivers side door lock--upon autolocking at 15mph sometimes will sound a musical chime tone when it locks!..of course, -7* dealer could not 'duplicate' the problem. Am now going to DODGE dealer who is bending over backwards to corret the 'light show' problem. With help from wire2 and others I'm hoping that they solve this annoying problem.
    They have ordered another light switch (NOT the one on the dash, but somewhere inside the dash in the hopes that it will correct the problem.
    Sorry I missed the chatroom Wednesday nite, but job search is taking up more and more of my time. I'm hoping 2003 will be a better year for me...anyone hear from Dustin lately?...

regards,
    Downsized--but definitely NOT out,
    Doc
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    It wouldn't break my heart to see the merger undone and the Chrysler Corporation return.

Seeing BOTH Eaton and Schrempp on the hot seat brings a tear to my eyes - trying to stifle the laughter. :)
  • psterpster Member Posts: 293
    Well, here it goes again. For the THIRD TIME in three years, my driver side window is making a loud cccccrrrreeekkk noise as it seats into the frame. This sound is NOT coming from the weather stripping. It occurs as the window is slightly pushed out just as it seats. This happens EXACTLY one year after each fix so it's not covered by the dealers repair warranty. ARRRGH!!! This is ^#@%*@$( aggravating! I have a near luxury car that everyone in it says is fantastic....until I roll the window up and down. Chrysler needs to fix this thing NOW - they're losing potential buyers!! The window works, it just makes this load noise. Has anyone experienced this (1999, PHP, 50K miles) Phil
    My 99's passenger front window has done this off and on since I had it. It will do it for a few months at a time, then stop. Seems to happen most after the car has been parked all day and window not used for awhile -- after the initial groan it will be okay until next time it sits for awhile. (I agree though...it can be embarrassing). I never bothered to even have this checked since it's intermittent and window works fine. btw - I have never had any window motors fail yet (knock on wood) --they all work great. Only the driver's side regulator has failed (auto window down function)and replaced on warranty.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    The dead starting problem I had three weeks ago has returned solid. I had replaced the battery because of the intermittant fail to start. Today it failed for good. You can hear the starter solenoid clank in, but no starter noise. Called DC roadside assistance and was called back with a one hour estimate for tow truck arrival. Two and a half hours later they arrived and hauled off the silver bullet to the 5*. I'm glad I was waiting at home, not on the side of the road. All covered under warranty.

Happy holidays,

Silver

• donna1119donna1119 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I've just found this message board and am the happy owner of a 2000 300M-no problems until just a couple weeks ago (I've put on 51,000 miles). My interior panel and compass module lights are flickering when the headlights are on. This happens mostly when the lights are on auto, but also happens when turned on manually. I can't seem to find the original post about the "light show" but wonder if this is what it is. It is annoying but doesn't happen enough to want to put major money into fixing it unless absolutely necessary. Any advice?
    Thanks!
  • topcuttopcut Member Posts: 54
    I have a stell Blue 2002 300.......it is without a doubt one of the best cars if not the best car I have ever owned....I cannot believe I put up with GM's horrible built quality for that long..How they sell so many cars is beyond me......Maybe all those rednecks that swear by Chevy cause their daddys did will wise up.....:):)..Looking forward to the new 300C coming out in 05.....
    if you don't know it by now all you Chrysler fans can keep up to date on all of Chrysler's actives by visiting......www.car-truck.com....Is a great page fo read it
    Yeah, just too bad the new drawings we've seen of the 300C are so horribly ugly, when compared to the current 300M. The Dodge has actually been seen on pictures taken while it was out testing, but the Chrysler is yet to be seen.

About GM. A few of their current cars still have quite low quality (read: Cavalier, Sunfire, etc.), but overall are some of the best of the Americans lately. It's just that because of their past, their perceived quality is much lower than their actual quality. I'll just leave it at that....

• rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Mine have groaned ever since I installed my WeatherTech visors which fit inside the channels. I just figured it was a tight fit. No big deal. The noise doesn't bother my that much. Just turn the radio up. Maybe a little silicone on the top of the glass?
    Geezer300M
    Donna,as for the light show turn down the dimmer from maximum brightness a little, on some this seems to help. Two causes for this are bad light switch or Body control Computer. I hope it is the first one (a lot cheaper).
  • pcolemanpcoleman Member Posts: 1
    I have read the messages concerning the tires and the alignment and the shivering of the steering wheel. I still have the original Eagle LS tires with approx. 55,000 miles. I have determined I need new tires. I want some that should eliminate the rough ride and provide better handling. Any suggestions?
    One with great reviews, smooth ride, sharp handling, and that's very quiet is the Dunlop SP Sport A2. The closest size to the M's is 235/55/17, but that fits just fine. They're priced nice too.

Another choice that many have chosen are either of the Yokohoma's. There's the H-rated (up to 110 or 120mph, not sure which) H4. And then there's the V-rated (higher speed) YK420 from Discount Tire. Both are quite good in terms of ride, handling, grip, and quietness.

There are also some mighty fine Michelins, such as the MXH4 (or is it the HXM4?) Pilot, and the superb Pilot A/S. Both are a little pricy, but well worth the price.

Hope this helps!

I am an ole timer Beach15.....have owned every Make of GM....Only decent one was my first new car ever,,a 62 Chevy Impala 4 door,,,327 ,,was a good car,,,had olds, buicks, pontiacs, etc , etc.....trouble with everyone of them,,serious things,,,,Pontic,,,3K mile 3 sensors out,,,,,3500 miles head gaskets blow,,oil all over my garage floor.....buld quality was terrible ,,sqeeks, rattles galore...my 2002 M no sqeeks rattle anywhere...No leaks,runs and drives perfect with 20 thousand miles on it,,,I see where you now own a Avalanch.?? that is about as ugly as that Aztek thing Pontiac makes or the Buick Rendveous or whatever it is....:)
    Has anyone here installed an Alpine Nav system in their M ?? I was wondering how hard the install was, and where you located the Nav Unit itself... I need to buy the M something for Christmas, and a Nav system is on its list...
    If you have not allready,,Might want to check with your Chrysler dealer on the Nav system.....I have inquired about it..and Chrysler does offer a dealer installed nav system,,,,not sure what kind it is tho...I know they will be coming with a factory installed one shortly too....
  • teddtedd Member Posts: 19
    I've noticed a lot of brake dust (I think that's what it is) on the spokes of my new 2002 Special. I mean the spokes turn almost black in a short period of time! Chrysler service guy tells me it's normal. I don't think so! Any suggestions would be most welcolmed. Thanks.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Glad to hear you like your M .

Topcut to beach -
    'I see where you now own a Avalanch.?? that is about as ugly as that Aztek thing Pontiac makes or the Buick Rendveous or whatever it is"

LOL , looks like someone has a dislike for the Avalanche
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    topcut-

WOW! You sure had your run of bad luck with GM. Can't say that I ever encountered anything like you with any of my GM cars. Were these GM cars top of the line ones or the puddle jumper variety?

Hope you have better luck with Chrysler. Do you like the Accords/Acuras?

fastdriver