Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Also M45's roof is not as flat as this 300N in the spy photo.

Hey, one could play ping-pong on it, that's not bad. Bubba Gump's 300N :)
  • ceikostceikost Member Posts: 30
    Go to RECALLS & TSB. Click on #78.

Not a big problem, just a pain in the A**.
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    There is that I am enjoying driving my new Toyota(honda, whatever) and whizzing by all the Chryslers with their hood up again. Interesting. I live on Long Island, NY which must have one of the highest densities of cars in the country. I almost never see any car with its hood up, Chrysler or any brand.

My 2002 T&C van is my eighth Chrysler vehicle in the last 25 years. My two "hoods up" experiences were a} my '78 Horizon. The alternator drive belt kept breaking. Turned out there was a burr on the drive pulley which was cutting the belt. I bought a replacement at an alternator rebuilder for $2 and replaced it myself. End of problem. b} my '85 LeBaron GTS stopped running a few times. Turned out a mechanic put in a defective fuel pump.

Final thought, a while back my friend was saying how wonderful his 91 Camry was, not a single problem. Then he let drop a few months later that one day in the pouring rain it just stopped running almost getting him killed. It had to be towed.
  • beespecialbeespecial Member Posts: 69
    I think I saw something about the switch to synthetic oil somewhere on this post but I can't find it now. Does switching from fossil to synthetic require any kind of a flush to keep from contaminating the synthetic with the fossil oil?
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >Does switching from fossil to synthetic require any kind of a flush...?

Don't think so. You can buy a blend of 50/50 dino-synthetic so they get along just fine.
  • gary_berggary_berg Member Posts: 28
    My only such experience was with a '84 Chrysler Laser. Blew the engine. I was just cruising along at 55 down a 2-lane road when the engine just stopped and the car coasted to a stop. I got it towed. At least one cylinder has seized. It eventually had a short block and a new water pump installed, all under warranty.
  • drivequalslovedrivequalslove Member Posts: 11
    Thinking of putting Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP on the stock 17" chrome rims (8" wide). Car = 2000 300M, NON-PHP.

OEM Goodyear LS's are 9" wide. Firehawk is 10.

Upper control arm clearance might be tight. Diameter of Firehawk is technically 0.6" smaller, and has 798 Rotations Per Mile (Goodyear = 781).

So, again, the magic question: Will 255-45-17 tires work? If not, will a wheel spacer work? If so, how thick?

If no to all above, will 245-50-17 work?
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    drivequalslove-- The best way to be sure they will fit is to have the tire store mount one for you, and then see how it works in the wheel well. Most tire places would probably do that as a routine when you are plussing up in size, but I would insist and ask to see the wheel turned for clearance once they get it on the car. I don't think anyone, save maybe one person, and I am not even sure of that one, has reported running 255's in the four years I have been monitoring this board. Most of us stopped at 245's. I have Goodrich Comp TA 245/50-17's on my 17 x 7" rims that came with the 99M. You may want to check the Club site to see if there is more on the tire page there.
    Thanks for the reply bigmike5. If tirerack.com is accurate, when it comes to high-performance summer tires in the size 245-50-17 there is only ->one<- tire listed in that size - Pirelli PZero System Asimmetrico. And guess what - that tire is listed as having a 10" section width! No diff than the 255-45-17 Firehawk!

If I drop down the performance ladder one step lower I have ->one<- additional choice: the BFGoodrich Scorcher T/A. And guess what - that tire's section width is 9.8"!

Further down the performance ladder is the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical and BFGoodrich Comp T/A HR4-2 (both also 10" wide).

The '99 300M came with 17" rims that are 7" wide (!). I didn't know that. When you say "check out the club pages" - what do you mean? The other message boards here on edmunds related to the 300?
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I also have a 2000 M. Mine came with 7.5" wheels if I remember correctly. I bought 17" x 8" aftermarket wheels and went to 245-45ZR-17 Goodrich GForce CompTA KDW tires. I was told that the largest tire recommended for the stock rims was 245-50-17. I really wanted to try the GForce tires and they were not available in the 245-50-17 size (and besides, I didn't care for the chrome Razorstars my car came with anyway), so I went to the wheel size recommended for the 245-45-17's I wanted.
    I love these tires, by the way. I'm now on my second set. They only last about 20K miles, but the handling is unbelievable, wet or dry (they are NOT recommended for icy conditions however, Goodrich has another version called the KDWS if you live in snow country).
    Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    lflowers wrote:

> 2000 M. Mine came with 7.5" wheels

Um, I've done my best to measure the OEM chrome 17" rims on my 2000, and it really really looks like 8". Does anyone have definitive info on this?

> 245-45ZR-17 Goodrich GForce CompTA KDW

I can't seem to find a g-Force tire with both "KDW" and "CompTA" in the name. When I look at the T/A KDW (245-45-17) I see that the section width is 9.6" and it *can* be used on a 7.5" rim. But more importantly the RPM is 810 and the diameter is about an inch smaller than the stock 225-55-17. That is a very undersized tire for the 300M. Your speedometer will be off by about 4% (your speed will say 65 when you're really going 62).

>I love these tires, by the way. I'm now on my >second set. They only last about 20K miles, but

20k miles sounds right, given a UTQG rating of 300.
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    I don't think 245/55/17's will fit. I have 235/55/17's and they barely clear (about 1/4 between tire and spring). Even though they are same measurements as stock (55), because of the greater width, they are actually taller tires (They fill up the wheel well real nice). 245/50/17 is almost an identical height as stock and your speedeo would barely be off. Certain brands will work on the 7.5" Razorstars and some won't (I had 245/45's on mine previously). Check the specs on Tirerack.com for the min. width of the tire you are considering.
    Blonda sez:

>I have 235/55/17's and they barely clear
    >(about 1/4 between tire and spring).

Well, I don't know why you're looking for a taller tire. And even though the profile is 55, it doesn't end up being the same side-wall height as the 225-55-17. And I wasn't talking about 245-55-17 (I know those are going to be too tall).

In fact, I don't think anyone makes a 245-55-17 anyways.

So, the question(s) continue to be:

Has anyone put a 255-45-17 tire on their stock chrome 8" rims? (or a 255-50-17)?

If not, has anyone put a 245-45-17 or 245-50-17 on their stock chrome 8" rims?
    sorry - I must have had a dyslexic moment and misread your post. As I mentioned, I DID have 245/45/17s on the stock razorstars and didn't like the hugh gap in the wheelwell it created, but they do work.

I originally tried to replace them with 245/50/17's but Michelin was back ordered about 3 months (Pilot sport A/S) so I decided to try the 235/55's (and they look and ride great -- so taller isn't all that bad).
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I haven't followed this forum for a while but I am still enjoying my Concorde LTD quite a bit. I still get a lot of compliments on the car, and still enjoy the driving experience and terrific cockpit. I just passed 9000 miles and haven't had any significant problems...until today

While stopped at a traffic light today, the engine simply quit. When I tried to start it again, it would crank, idle for a split second, and then die again.

After several attempts to restart the car, I decided to start over. I pulled out the key, opened the driver door, closed the driver door, and locked the car with the fob (as though I had just parked). Then I unlocked the car with the fob, opened and closed the door, and started the car...and it worked. The check engine light stayed on through four or five starting cylcles but then, it extinguished too.

The dealer has it now but I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    fedlawman-

WHATEVER made you think to take out the key, open the door, close the door, lock the door and then reverse the procedure?

I would have just called I-800- Chrysler Cares!

fastdriver
    The current 300M special comes with 18" wheels and 245-45-18 tires (not sure of the brand).

My observations on a dozen 245-45-18 tires is that (1) they are all remarkably identical in over-all diameter to the stock 225-55-17 tires, and (2) the average section width is 9.7 to 9.8 inches.

So, unless the wheels on the Special has a different offset, or the suspension clearance on the special is different in order to handle the 18" rim and tire, then perhaps the 300M (any vintage, PHP, NON-PHP, Special, etc) can handle tires as wide as 9.8".

Anyone with a 300M special know how much clearance there is between the tire and the upper control arm???
  • firebird69firebird69 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a set of 4 Mich. Pilot Sport A/S tires a month ago and they appear to lose air constantly. My badyears never lost air pressure. I had two valve stems replaced and they still Leak. If you have these tires, do you have a problem with them leaking? I'm wondering if they don't seal right on the 17inch Razorstar rims? As far as i can tell the rims are not dented. thx
  • firebird69firebird69 Member Posts: 8
    I notice a humming noise behind the center of my dash. Even after i've parked the car and came back a few hours later it still hums. Sometimes starting the cars stops the humming but other times i can hear the humming when i'm driving. Is there a motor or something in the dash that makes this noise? Is this common on other people's cars? Should i have it looked at?
    It just seemed like a "computer glitch" to me so I thought if I pretended to get out of the car and get back in, the computer might reset.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz03/b032503.htm

its small but you get the idea
  • scottjohnsonscottjohnson Member Posts: 61
    One thing I've found interesting is to check out the "revs per mile" column in the tire specs on TireRack. I started looking at this when thinking about something other than stock 225/55-17s. Now you'd think that this number should vary only slightly, but for that size specs are quite varied. Anywhere from 764 for Pilot Sport AS to 781 for Goodyear Eagle LS. The Michelin Energy MXV4 states 784 vs. 774 for V vs. H rating. That's a 2% variation in size for the same size from a single manufacturer.
    looks like some kind of Rolls Royce
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    That's the ambient temperature sensor. When you open a door it starts a tiny fan to pull air across a sensor to supply an input signal for the ATC. If you get in, close the door and wait, it will stop after a minute or so. It will continue to run if the engine is on.
    I have had the exact opposite experience with my Michelin PS A/S. I never loose air. Last week I checked the pressure and I assumed I would be running low since I had been negligent for a couple months -- nope -- still dead on. I'm very impresed (I have even been running with a nail of some sort in one of my rear tires for 3 months -- no loss in that one either). My previous set of tires (Kumho Ecsta Supra's) lost about 2lbs a month as did the Goodyears. I think I remember someone mentioning that some rusting on the inside rim edge can cause pressure loss. I'm in So Cal so no problems with rust here.
    I have been told by the tire dealer that losing air on the bigger tires is not unusual. I lose about 3-4 pounds in 2 weeks in one of my 245-50-17's on the 17 x 7" Razorstars [1999]. I think that the true problem is corrosion along the bead area where the seal is supposed to be. I had this problem with my spare and they took the tire off and sanded the inside edge of the wheel until it was nice and smooth again, and that tire has been fine since. I am going to get this troublesome one changed out at the next rotation and have them take it off the rim and sand the edge. The corrosion is caused by the moisture that get pumped into the tires when they are inflated or adjusted. Unless there is a catch on the hose, moisture from the tank just get injected in with the air. Next time you are going to air the tires at a gas station or such, push in the pin on the hose fixture with a key and just see how much water/moisture gets on you hand and the air comes out. If you pump that into the tire and it gets on the edge inside I can see corrosion forming very easily. That can make sealing the new tire a problem unless the edge is smoothed out again.

The humming noise is affiliated with an air temp. sensor and brings air to the sensor. Ottowrkr says that its humming along when the car is not is normal, and not to worry about it.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    I don't have an "M" (and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn either), but my LS has 17X7.5" wheels. I (as do other of our club members) have 255/45/17 tires on the wheels. That is the fattest tire that will fit on the 7.5" wheel. Hope that sheds a little light.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Manufactures specs say that 245/45 17 is too wide of a tire for the 17 by 7 wheels. It is at the limit of 7.5" wheels.
  • psterpster Member Posts: 293
    I noticed that apparently Car & Truck News is shutting down? What gives? Chrysler's marketing department finally got tired of them pre-emting their new vehicle roll outs?

P.S. God bless the 3rd Mech and Marine EF!!!! Get some!
    Dealer said there was no fault code in the computer and they couldn't duplicate the problem. The service writer suggested that it might be the security chip in the key not maintaining commo with the chip in the ignition.

I've heard about this happening to people who hang a lot of weight on their key ring, so maybe it's possible.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    From my experience, a 245-45-17, will fit on the stock rims. However it depends what tire you use. Some tires will work, others will not. Dunlop SP 9000's won't. No clearence problems, but vibration, & pulling might happen. This is what happend on the Dunlops I had. Also, a 255-45-17, will just barely fit. It looks like it rubs the control arm, but it doesn't. Just enough room to stock a piece of paper between them. Way too close for me though. Now a 245-45-18, & 255-45-18 are the same, cause they are the same rolling diameter as stock tires. Also note the special is lowered an inch too.
    All 300M lovers and those who just love great old cars. The 2003 Woodward Dream Cruise site is finally coming up on the net now. Great pictures of last few years event, and a really good time. It is August 16, 2003, in the burbs just north of Detroit. 16 miles of great cruising and cars. Check it out. Hope to see all you M'ers there.
  • bb_lhs_2kbb_lhs_2k Member Posts: 94
    Anybody try the Ceramic Brake Pads yet. I was told that they don't make any noise or dust at all. I'd like to know how they perform and your suggestions if you've used them. Thanks.
    I don't know what the OEM pads are, but I went to Pinnacle Carbon Metallics and upgraded channeled rotors for better stopping power. After about a year, my assessment is that the carbon metallics get quiet OK after a break-in period of a few weeks, and are good, but maybe not better than the OEM product; but I have also noticed that they are not the best at stopping the car when they are wet--car wash, rain storm, slush, puddles, etc. I am really cautious after any of those type of incidents. I pump them hard at the first sign of a need for braking to be sure that they have enough time to dry off fast and grab effectively. Someone else on this board went with the ceramics and found them to be excellent performers and quiet.
    Interesting, Thanks...
    I believe the OEM pads are ceramic. I tried carbon metallic for about 9 months and hated them so switched back to OEMs. They stop great and seem to last a long time. Not cheap though. Pads and install at the dealer cost me $208. There is a Value Line OEM pad that is about $49 a pair but I can't vouch for quality of those.
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    Your LHS should have come equipped with ceramic pads in the front. You can get Raybestos ceramic pads from places like Pep Boys, Car Quest, etc. P/N is PGD730QS, priced from $60 - $70. Ceramics are for use only on the fronts.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    My brake and tire guy told me the OEM pads were ceramic and replaced with Raybestos for a $50 upcharge over his normal charge of $89/axle (includes turning rotors). Out the door for under $150. About 13,000 miles on these replacement pads and no problems.
    Thank you everyone for your help. I guess ceramic it is! I didn't know that the OEM pads were ceramic, I really like them, especially how quiet and clean they are.

Do you think that any aftermarket ceramic pads would be as good as the OEMs?

My wife just bought a new Volvo, and the brakes are much more sensitive and responsive than the LHS, but you won't believe the mess they make. It's ridiculous, in a couple of days of light driving, you can't see the wheel anymore, it gets full of black dust. And their lifespan is about 15K miles only. I can't wait to replace them with less dusty pads.
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    The OEM pads are supposedly Wagner Thermo Quiet. They are a bit hard to find, but I bought a set last summer from autopartsgiant.com for about $35. Also replaced the rotors with the top line NAPA rotor. As far as I can tell, performance (noise, stopping power) is identical to OEM at a lot lower price.
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    I have always found that quality aftermarket parts are typically superior to OEM parts. Raybestos and Wagner are typical suppliers for OEM applications and sell under their own name as well. Aftermarket parts are typically more consist quality through the years. Where as you may not even get the same quality pads from your dealer, because the auto manufacturer is constantly looking for a cheaper source for parts.

I like the fact that the brakes (at least on the LHS) are not very sensitive, but have plenty of stopping power. I have a truck that has extremely sensitive brakes and it is very annoying.
    Thats exactly what I always believed too, that aftermarket products are better than OEM. But, what worried me about Raybestos, was reading all the negative experiences with it on the 300M Enthusiast message board. A lot of people claimed increased squealing which really surprised me. One person even tried the Raybestos Quiet Stop with no luck, and wrote "Do Not Use Raybestos Products on a 300M". What do you think?
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Have you guys seen the new 2004 Pontiac Grand Prixs showing up on dealer lots? These cars are very much changed and much better than ever before, especially the interior which can't even be compared to the old. That, and the new Comp-G package is much like the 300M Special with the PHG package, with performance bits all-around.

Something quite familiar? Take a look at the interior of this new black GTP Comp-G and tell me what the colors have you thinking (hint: something "Special"):
    http://www.starcars.com/Pontiac/4P101_4.html
    as a former Grand Prix GTP owner I am pretty excited about this new Grand Prix. Although I am not 100% sure about the new style.

I always wished for a car that could combine the best features of a GTP and a 300M.

This one comes close to that wish.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Looks like a combination of a 300M and an Intrepid from the front
  • psterpster Member Posts: 293
    Looks like another butt ugly to me. Maybe the Accord designer jumped over to Pontiac? Overall, vastly improved style from the plastic cladded Power Ranger editions of old.....but someone forgot to fix the butt.
  • mr23mr23 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 non PHP with Goodyear's (225/55/17). 38K miles. Any concenus of the best replacement tires? I live in So.Calif with no snow and very little rain, so all-weather performance not that much of an issue. I do mostly freeway driving. Thanks.
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    Am interested in your experience with 235/55/17 tires. What brand do you have? How to they compare with stock for handling,ride & noise? Have 2003 with the goofy new type wheels.