Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• wasruskiwasruski Member Posts: 2
    what happened to the Townhall logons? I can't log in as Ruski anymore and was forced to create a new account and screen name.
  • russonatorrussonator Member Posts: 2
    wassup widdis?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    wasruski & russonator-

"We've moved to a new registration system. Members should sign on using their lowercase e-mail address and password, rather than their Town Hall username and password. Read more about the changes in the Our Software... discussion or Contact Us with your username if you need help logging in.
    For all other questions, please Ask the Hosts."

Hope this helps.

fastdriver
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No, all you need to do is either email me, or use the contact links in the gray box at the top of the page. These discussions are not monitored in real time, so if you post here, you just end up waiting for me to come by on my regular rounds.

Anyway, I sent you an email at the address listed in your current profile - hope that helps.
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Someone in the club paid $ .29 each for T25 Torx at their dealer so I checked at my dealer and they wanted $ 1.58 each. I'll never go back.
    Geezer300M
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    It is time to replace the tires on my wife's 2001 300M. She got 36,000 miles out of the original Michelins, rotated every 3000 miles. Still some tread on them, but uneven wear on two of them has brought the tread on one side of the tires to the wear bar. Michelin replacements are $140 each on tirerack.com.

In looking for other replacements, I saw that the Continental Touring Contact CV95's were on special for $95 each, although we don't need V-rated tires. They are actually rated just above the Michelins in the tirerack consumer survey.

Has anyone any experience with these tires? The $180 price difference (Michelins are 47% higher) make them attractive.

By the way, I previously endorsed the Yokahama Avid T-4s on the basis of the performance and feel. However, they were close to the wear bar at less than 20,000 miles and I was lucky I didn't have to replace them before turning in my 2000 300M on lease.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    If you liked the Yokahama Avid T4 for ride and handling, try looking up the Avid Touring.
    Ratings are T4 Traction A Temperature B Treadwear 420. Tourings are A, B, Treadwear 620. They should last longer.
    Thanks for the info. For some reason, tirerack won't let me pull up the Avid Touring for the 300M...
    hayneldan-

ONE good thing about all the new changes around here is the elimination of the URL limits! That's a plus so that you don't have to go to Make a Shorter Link.com and "fool" the software here. ;-))

intrepidspirit-

One way to solve the tire problem is to trade in the car BEFORE they wear out! That's what I've done all along. LOL.....

fastdriver
    hayneldan...

I wasn't able to pull up the 17" Yokahama equivalent (my size). Maybe it's not available in 17"...

fastdriver...

"One way to solve the tire problem is to trade in the car BEFORE they wear out! That's what I've done all along. LOL....."

But with cars like Christine, you've had another reason to turn them in early! We've been lucky so far and expect to keep our M's for many years...
    intrepidspirit-

True, but it wasn't just with Christine. After 3-4 years, I get tired of a car and change it. I've always been like that. Guess I was spoiled from day one.

I hate paying for repairs to cars especially with the prices they charge and some of the ding-a-lings you have to deal with out there. Years ago, it was easy to find a good mechanic who could FIX things. Now we're in the throw away era because you CAN'T fix it.

fastdriver
  • quietflyerquietflyer Member Posts: 33
    I put the Continental ContiTouringContact CV-95's, size 225/55-17, on my '99 300M last year. So far I have 22,000 miles on them and have been very satisfied with them. They have been very good in rain and I have even driven successfully on ice with them recently (NOT recommended, but possible!!) They are much quieter than the Goodyears that were on the car when I bought it. I paid $122 each for them last May, it looks like you can get a better price now. I drive about 80 miles a day on the interstate and want the tires to last awhile. I hope this is of some use.
    Thanks!

As you could probably tell, I was leaning toward the Continental ContiTouringContact CV-95's and I am happy to get positive feedback to reinforce my decision.

However, I still have to convince my wife... :)
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Rstilp, what is a T25 Torx? Is that a tongue twister? Anyway, like you, I've noticed a bad markup at dealers also. One dealer, when I called a couple of times on parts, gave me different prices each time within a short period of time. Once, I got one price over the phone, and when I went to get it later dressed in my greasy work clothes, maybe I looked poor as they charged me a good bit less. My point is that they don't even keep the prices consistent, and when I call them on it they give a big line of BS. This happened recently, after which I thanked the man and left without buying his parts. He who laughs last laughs best.

Tires; If you buy a $25 online subscription to Consumer Reports, the best combo tire (performance all season) in the 300M's size is the Falken (I think it's W rated for speed in the 225/55 17 size). They're sold at Sears, which includes free rotations for the life of any tires you buy there (not sure if you have to buy 4 to get that). They are rated quite a bit higher than the Yoko Avids that CR tested, although CR tested an Avid other than the T4. I think the Falcons have a more complex compound to best combine performance w/grip and all season capability, which I don't think the T4s have based on my reading on their web site. I bought T4 recently and am not impressed with their handling, although are good in snow (although only average on ice by my estimation on North East roads). I think the Michelins are great tires, but too expensive. My next tires will probably be the Falcons, and some people have spoken well of the Hydro Edges they've bpurchased at Costco. But I don't think the HydroEdge is that performance oriennted; I guess it depends what your priorities are.

Pardon my wordiness but I've read way more about tires and care more about them than anybody should. They are an important interface for that sleek vehicle you've got in your garage/driveway so get a good set and enjoy them!

Let me comment on Contis; they make some great tire in my opinion but I have read on one or more models where when the car sits for a few days the tires take a "set"; that is, they get slightly out of round (a flat spot where they were parked) which can cause a vibration sometimes when driving. But if you're driving the car everyday it shouldn't be a problem. Good Luck. You'll be limited in selection if you want the M's exact size. I insist on the exact size as I don't want the odometer and speedometer to be "off".
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    The Michelin MXRV-4's on the wife's 96 Aurora were also dead at 38K irrespective of careful rotation and balancing, etc. [Sold the car when it was time to change the tires.] Goodrich made [don't know if they are still available] two tires that would go on the 17 x 7" rims. The Scorcher [they have the red, yellow or blue colored band in the vertical tread and a weird tread pattern anyway- John Wyche had them on his M] and the Comp TA's, which I put on my 99M at 40K. They are 245/50-17's and they have performed well, and show virtually no wear after 25K miles. I do about 26 miles a day to and from work, most 55 mph. I am running them at 35 psi per dealer recommendation. I think there was a follow-on Goodrich tire for the Comp TA and somebody who used to be in Dallas but moved to CA had them. K-force or something, can't recall the model number?
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I'm the fellow who was running Goodrich GForce KDW tires (245/45-17, Z rated) on my 2000 M. I liked them a lot (wore out 2 sets!), but recently replaced them with Pirelli PZero Nero's (also in 245/45-17 size w/Z rating). The Pirellis are very nearly as good as the Goodrich tires on dry pavement, better on wet, and supposed to be better in snow (haven't had that pleasure yet).
    The Pirellis are quieter than the Goodrichs, which were already quieter than the original Goodyears.
    By the way, I completed my assignment in California and now have a new contract job back in Dallas.
    Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    Right Lynn, now I remember it was you. God has the time gone that fast, it seems lkike yesterday you were going out there. Did you get near SDMike while there?
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I worked quite near SDMike's home and we talked on the phone about getting together, but we never actually managed to see each other.

Lynn
    Thanks everyone for the tire input!

Since I didn't hear anything bad about the Continental Touring Contact CV95's, I decided to go with them. AT $95 each, we will save $45 per tire, or $180 less than the O/E Michelins.

With no negative feedback on the Continental's, I couldn't pass up the bargain price. I'm not sure my wife was convinced (they're for her), but I told her I'd swap with her if she didn't like them...
  • wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    It could be interpreted as a vote of confidence, but the new 300's and Magnums are fitted with 18" self sealing Continentals.
    On availability, the 225/55-17 size stock on 300M's are not readily available in some manufacturer's lines, so there's a limit on choices.
    wire2-

I thought the self-sealing tires on the new 300C were optional and that a compact spare came as standard?

fastdriver
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,724
    Just a little depressing to see no activity on the once very active 300M board, so I thought I'd throw a post on here.

My '99 Platinum M turned 57,000 miles today, not much to report, all continues to be well. Getting 21+mpg in local driving. I was considering looking for new, but I still really enjoy my M, so I think I'll hold on for another year (barring some major failure!).

New AutoWeek has write up on the new 300(C). Not quite as ugly as earlier pix made it out to be. I still think they should tighten up the gaping grille up front, though. I'm sure I will at least give it a look, along with Acura TL, BMW 3, Infiniti G/FX35 and Saab 9-3.

Hope everybody is well. So far, 2004 has not been the best year for me personally. Hopefully things will get better. At least we got a couple of inches of beautiful snow here yesterday...!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I agree the board has been rather quiet of late. My 99M rolled through 66K miles last week and I celebrated by paying off the final couple of thou. on it. So now I own it. No desire to sell it but I am still looking hard at the 04 Vettes, the RX-8, and soon the Crossfire SRT-6, if pricing ever gets out on that model. I read the article in Autoweek on the 300C and looking at the pictures of that car I keeping seeing a renovated Buick like appearance, not anywhere as upbeat and stylish as the 300M. One of the plant guys says that he got a test ride in it and it is "scary fast" with the Hemi, but how could I put racing stripes, etc. on that chassis? A too old and stodgy "brougham" look for me. I still love the M.
  • alg528alg528 Member Posts: 18
    I've mostly been lurking here ever since getting my 2001 Inferno Red 300M in July '01. I have loved this car from the beginning and have never had any problems, except for some annoying vibrations in the dash area. I now have over 53,000 miles on the original Michelins with plenty of tread life left. Although I still have over a year left on my lease, I must admit I'm starting to keep an eye out for my next car. While I'm intrigued by the new 300, rear wheel drive is just not a good option in New England winters. I don't know what these car companies are thinking going back to RW drive. I guess they don't want to sell many new cars in the northeast. Anyway, I do like the Pacifica, even though I've never been a fan of trucks or SUV's.

I've enjoyed this board, and I'm a little sorry to see how few new posts there are here. Also feeling a little guilty for not posting more often, but I'm just very happy with my M.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Article from Detroit Free Press
    Rear or front drive, drivers can decide
    QUESTION: Is rear-wheel drive safe on snow and ice? ANSWER: Yes. A rear-wheel-drive car with traction control and an electronic stability program (ESP) is as safe or safer than a front-wheel-drive car on snow and ice. Q: How do the systems work? A: Traction control senses when the rear wheels begin to spin and applies the brakes or reduces engine power until the tires grip
  • alg528alg528 Member Posts: 18
    I can only speak from my own experience. My wife has an Infiniti G35 coupe (RWD), which I drive on occasion. There is no comparison between how the G35 handles in the snow (it doesn't) and my 300M.
  • jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    Alg, I understand your apprehension with a RWD vehicle - even based on your personal, recent driving experiences. The new 300 line will have some serious technology built into it (i.e. ESP, All-Speed Traction Control, ABS with Panic Brake Assist). These items, combined with a wider track, longer wheelbase, almost 50/50 weight distribution, and newer tire technology will make it a different vehicle than your wife's G35 (no offence to Infinity). A training video showing all of these things in action just hit the dealerships. If you have a good relationship with your salesperson, ask to see it - its very interesting (less than 10 minutes).
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    For those of you who don't like the looks of the 300C, Chrysler has announced that the Dodge Charger will be produced and available early next year as a 2006 model. If it looks anything like the concept, that's great news.
    I, too, have driven FWD w/all season tires all my life as a New Englander and skiier without the need for snow tires. I do believe that with snow tires and all the electronic assists, RWD would be do-able in the winter here. But, of course, one would have to buy snows (& wheels), store them and do the 2x yearly changeover. Not a big deal, but FWD makes life a little easier. AWD adds weight which hurts performance and MPG. And adds more complexity. I don't rule it out, but for me FWD has always been the way to go.

Many people decry the handling characteristics of FWD, but honestly, how many people drive in a manner where RWD would really make a big difference?

I doubt very much if I will buy a RWD car as long as I live in New England. Which shall be for a very long time because I love it here. It is home...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

great story...about 8 sensors in the vehicle monitor the actions of the vehicle and the driver over 140 times per second to give her that feeling
    Sorry, I had to remove that article.

We can't copy and paste like that. A link would be great - with or without a short quote - but not the whole article. Thanks.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I, too, am surprised and very disappointed at how quickly the 300M loyalty has disappeared around here. You guys must be pretty fickle. As soon as another girl with a pretty face shows up, you're hot on her trail.

Unfortunately, in this case, it's not even a pretty face. The 300M is worlds more attractive than the new 300! Remember the old saying... "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." I just can't see me turning my back on my Special for the "replacement"; and I use that term very loosely. It's gonna take a lot more than a Hemi to make me like that thing more than my M!

Come to think of it, with a more efficient transmission, the 300M would probably be just as fast as the 300C! And I'd like to see the rundown of standard features compared to the 300M's.
    tayl0rd-

"I, too, am surprised and very disappointed at how quickly the 300M loyalty has disappeared around here."

I'm surprised that you'd say that. The 300M loyalty hasn't disappeared, just the loyal 300M posters have disappeared. They love their M's as much as ever.

fastdriver
    If the owners are so loyal, why aren't they posting anymore? It seems like they've given up on the M as much as Chrysler has. Have you noticed that any official print from DCX about the new 300 NEVER mentions the M; not even a comparison of some sort or other?? They will talk about the previous Letter Cars, but never the M.

That makes me VERY nervous about the kind of support I can expect when my Special is a little older and out of warranty. Will I even be able to get Mopar parts for it anymore?? Will I get any reasonable service or will I just get some botched up patch job because it's out of production?? What do I do should something happen to my headlight assemblies? It's not like I can walk into AutoZone and pick one of these units up.
    Love my 300M. Enjoy posting and reading here. Unfortunately oftentimes life outside the Edmunds boards doesn't allow time to do either.

Hello, fastdriver and Dr. Pixel, wherever you are...

I've been wondering about Dr. Pixel also ...
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    Well, it seems like the majority still posting are enjoying their 'Ms. Include me in that group, as my '99 is closing in on the 84K mark. Car is over 5 years old and still on the original battery, which I'm not replacing as an experiment to see how long it can run. After 5 years of age, the interior is in excellent condition and the paint still gleams when I polish it. I plan on keeping her for another 5 years to get my moneys worth. Was driving mother's '03 accord w/4 cylinder and it reminded me of how much fun a smaller car is though. The 'M handles excellently for a larger car IMO, but it's not the fun that a smaller lighter model is. BTW, that 4 cylinder in the Accord really provides strong acceleration & great fuel mileage. I'm hoping that the upcoming Pontiac G6 will be the same type of car. BTW, the board will not seem so quiet if you check in once or twice a week instead of every day--that's my new strategy and I had a slew of posts to read. Good luck to everyone with your beautiful cars!
    bluesky999-

Glad to hear that your 300M is holding up so well. Guess you got a good one.

"...the board will not seem so quiet if you check in once or twice a week instead of every day--that's my new strategy and I had a slew of posts to read."

A SLEW???? LOL... How many? SEVEN? In the good old days, you would have had hundreds! ;-))

fastdriver
    I also noted the downward trend in posting, and think some of it relates to the new sign in procedures for this board, and an up-turn in the economy?? People are busier doing other things--like work. I check the Crossfire, Corvette and RX-8 sites periodically and there postings are all down also. Only one going up is the 300 [300C site] where people are anxious to get their new cars and are trying to figure out when they are going to get them. [April 21 looks like the release date.]

Others may be posting on the Club site. I can't do so from my work computer [considered "chat"] so I post here.

Haven't heard from Dr Pixel in a while but he was still looking for a full time job instead of just consulting last time we e-mailed. He is still active with the Club and did a great 300M poster for the Woodward Dream Cruise last year.

Read the Toronto Star column/review on the new 300C and sent a comment to the writer. He responded and I sent him another note.

RWD, AWD, FWD doesn't matter as far as I am concerned, it is the nut behind the wheel that matters. I grew up in Mass. and never had a front wheel drive til about 10 years ago. I found that the best car I ever drove in snow and ice was a 64 Corvair, with the pancake engine over the rear wheels it would go through anything up to mid-door. Having said that, my M has gone well also, but I plan my route ahead of time and keep the speed where it should be to be able to make hills, and to have sufficent momentum but still be able to stop when I need to. Planning and anticpation are the key to winter driving. Unfortunately, I live in KY where many people don't do either, and don't have the good sense to stay off the roads when they have no idea how to deal with snow and ice, so it is a crap shoot when I get on a snowy highway here. Rear wheel drive will work if the nut behind the wheel knows how to drive.
    I am extremely loyal to the 300M. I guess that's obvious to anyone that passes my house and sees a 2001 and a 2003 300M in the driveway!

Last April, after seeing the 300C, I decided to buy a 300M rather than wait for the 300C to become available. It just didn't appeal to me.

The 300C is seldom, if ever compared to the 300M because they are not really comparable. The 300M was an advancement on the old 300's of the 60's and 70's. Instead of a large, heavy vehicle with great staightaway power and little handling prowess, the 300M offered great handling as well as decent power in a somewhat smaller vehicle. So it was somewhat of a departure from the original 300 concept.

The new 300C is actually truer to the original 300's -- heavy, great power (with the Hemi), but with improved handling as developed in the automotive industry over the years. I'm not sure what the relationship of the base 300 with the 2.7L engine is -- other than it looks like the 300C!

As far as parts for the 300M -- I believe DC is required by law to retain replacement parts for a number of years after a model is discontinued...failing that, it's off to the junkyard for spare parts!
    Maybe I can give you some info that will help clear up some of your questions. You're right, the 300M and new 300C aren't ever really really compared because they aren't parallel models. I am sure you realize that the Concorde and 300M have been discontinued from the Chrysler line-up. Here is how they replace each other (with old/new curb weights in case you are interested.
    Concorde Lx (3495) - 300 Base (3721)---
    ConcordeLxi/Limited (3570) - 300 Touring (3767) ---
    300M (3591) - 300 Limited (3767) ---
    300M Special (3650) - 300C HEMI (4046)
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, I knew they were discontinuing production of all the LH cars last summer.
    My wife's car has 35,000 + miles and less than 30 days warranty left. We took it in re 4 items to our 5* dodge dealer.

The items were:
    1. buzzing speaker
    2. worn leather on the steering wheel
    3. paint worn on inside of passenger mirror
    4. broken passenger air vent cover/control

I told her not to be disappointed if they claimed that some of this was 3 years wear and tear. However, they replaced the steering wheel, passenger mirror and the defective speaker. They ordered a vent control/cover, but it was the wrong color. When they get a new one from Detroit they will simply snap it in when we bring the car back.

I was very happy and a little surprised that everything was done with no questions asked. We didn't even get the old standby "couldn't duplicate problem" on the speaker!

Kudos to Chrysler, and particularly to my 5* Dodge dealer!
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Yep, I'm one of those guys that doesn't post here much anymore because of the inconvenience of using a password every time & it seems to take forever.
    I still check here a couple times a week but, since I'm a board member in the club (3rd year) I spend a lot of time there.
    After recently getting my new Chrysler Mag. I was truely disappointed that DC has completely ignored the M. I feel like a red headed stepchild that has been abandoned.
    I'll drive this car 'til the wheels fall off.
    Almost 80K and it is still the best car I've ever owned (appearance, performance, reliability).
    I keep waiting for problems but so far, zip!
    Maybe we just need to plan a reunion on this site. I'll put a post on the club message board to get some people back over here.

Rick Stilp/Geezer300M
    It would be nice if fellow M'ers would continue posting here. I can't read the club message board at work because it's categorized as "chat" and when I get home, my girlfriend is ridin' me all night (and not in the good way ;-) )! She just loves to talk!! But it's good that they're posting more over there, I guess. Maybe I can start back frequenting that one.

You don't have to enter your password everytime you come here. When you log in, just click the box that says "remember my login" and you're all set. At least, that's what works for me. Now if you have your computer set to clear your cache and delete your cookies everytime you reboot, then, yeah, you'd have to enter your password everytime.
    I don't post here very often, but it is not because I've abandoned the site. I just don't always have the time to add something to the chat. My '99 300M has 63,500 miles on it now (it had 38,800 miles when I bought it last April) and I still enjoy driving it. I'm getting 25 to 26 MPG consistently (mostly interstate driving). I have had very few problems, especially compared to some of the posts I have seen here. The new 300C is interesting and sounds like it will be a good car, but is too expensive for me now. I put a lot of miles on a car and depreciation on a new one driven like that is awful. I may look at one in four or five years when I will need to replace my current one (not looking forward to that!) I still look at the 300M site to see what is going on. I also look at the new 300 site
    quietflyer-

"I'm getting 25 to 26 MPG consistently (mostly interstate driving)."

At what speed usually? Do you calculate it the old-fashion way with paper and pencil(calculator) or do you use the car's readout?

fastdriver
    I'm usually cruising about 70 to 73 MPH. I do use a calculator to figure gas mileage, my trip computer tends to be optimistic (usually 26 to 27 MPG). I keep a record of all gas fill ups and any maintenance I do (oil changes, tire rotations, etc.). My overall average is about 24.4 MPG including any in town driving I do on the weekend. I drive about 80 miles on the interstate to work and back each day. I have been using regular unleaded gas the last few months to save money and have not noticed any difference from mid-grade. That may change as the weather gets hotter.