Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    I hope you're right about 150K, but that means those parts will last until the car is 9 or 10 years old. If that's right, I'll be very pleased, but it seems too long to me. But I guess I will wait a while as you advise. As for the water pump and timing chain, I agree they need to be changed before long. I think the manual says around 100K, give or take 5K. I think I'll wait until I hit about 110K for those, as I'm not beating the car. Thx for the reply.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Only in Mass. can you find people rocketing down the breakdown lane and actually getting upset that someone is actually broken down in that lane. When I was home last summer I read in the Herald about 3 separate fatalities involving people who got zapped while broken down and waiting for assistance. Instead they got someone else's front bumper. I suspect that what you saw is just another sad example.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    "I hope the new 300 treats you well. I know you'll treat it well. How does it compare to the other 3?"

The interior of the new 300M is more refined than the others because of the upgrades. The tire pressure for each tire on the car is displayed. Yesterday, the overhead displayed a warning that the spare tire pressure was low. I need to figure out how it monitors each tire and what happens when you rotate? This 03 M was an earlier build (7/29/02) than the other M (11/02) and has less decontenting. For example, the front door interior courtesy lights are still in the new car.

Other than that, the handling is much different with the PHG group. I like it and don't find the ride harsh at all over rough roads. Gives it a real sporty feel (not quite like the Crossfire, though!).

Maybe the performance suspension will keep my wife from bottoming out in those road drainage dips...
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Yup. I moved to Mass from CT in late '91. Took me a while to get used to the break down lane becomming active during "rush" hours. Before I knew the rules, I couldn't believe that scores of cars were streaking down the breakdown. Now, of course, I'm one of them...but careful.

fastdriver: I can't believe it's been 5 years either. My M turned 60k miles last night, all is well. This board has been great: fun, informative and, at times, sad. I still feel for you and your "beloved" Christine as I think that the overall majority of 300M ownerships have been positive. Mine has, I'll miss her when she's gone. I haven't been to the "pesky" money place in quite some time. Maybe a little Father's Day gift to myself?!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

"This board has been great: fun, informative and, at times, sad."

Yes, it has been all been all of the above. Also, it has been extremely popular. Since January/01 (when it restarted on the Edmunds system), it has averaged over 600 posts per month (25,480 posts/42 months) or 20 per day!

With all the excitement over the new 300, that board has averaged about 218 posts per month over the past year (it started in June last year). I'm sure this average will increase as new owners share their experience, but these numbers really do show how active and popular this board has been!

It has been a great journey; one that I looked forward to almost every day for the past few years...we may not have had the most popular car of its day, but we had the most passionate owners!
    My M turns 60K on the drive home today. Washed and cleaned her yesterday--waiting for the inevitable rain today. Always happens...lol.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Hi, everybody! I haven't posted in a long time. Since I was making a long drive last week, I thought it would be a good time to do a couple of the due maintenance items. I went to the local 5* Chrysler-Plymouth, then Dodge, back to Chrysler again dealer. (What's up with that?)

I asked the service writer (who should know better) for a differential fluid change, transmission service, and spark plug change. He informed me that front wheel drive cars "don't have differentials." I insisted that he call a mechanic, who set him straight on that. This board alerted me to this particular bit of dealer ignorance. Later on he phoned me to sell me on "de-carbonizing" the intake manifold, another high-priced job of dubious value. I declined. The car is running great with it's new plugs, and I'm ready for another fun 50k. My next chore is replacing the burned out map lights.

regards, Silver
    On the road back to Dallas I was passed by a black 300C with illegally dark windows. Very sinister, indeed.

Silver
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    "I asked the service writer (who should know better) for a differential fluid change, transmission service, and spark plug change. He informed me that front wheel drive cars "don't have differentials."

LOL! Same thing happened with me. Great 5 star dealers! :)
    Born on this date, 1999, what was to become three weeks later my Platinum Bullet! Today my M is 5 and I still enjoy this car very much. Although the styling of the 300c is growing on me (except for the size of the grille), I still don't think it comes close to the handsome 300M.

I did get the "Climate Control Show" (name borrowed from "Light Show") yesterday where suddenly the fan surges and I can't turn off the CC. I pushed a few buttons, but nothing would shut down the fan. Once again, rebooted the car and back to normal. Other than that, 60,145 enjoyable miles. Road noise still bugs me a bit and I'm still surprised (or am I) at the size of the panel gaps on the passenger side, but I think that's about it. Styling (in & out), room, ride, handling, economy and reliability still impress.

I know many here have more miles than my M, but I don't think I'm going to roll the dice too much longer. Unless my personal economics turn for the worse, I'll probably start shopping for a new car end of '04 or 1st Q '05. Acura TL, upgraded '05 Infiniti G35, FX35, new M45, Mercedes E320 all intrigue me (although the MB $$$ and quality rep concern me. But it is a beautiful car and I'm a fool for a pretty face!).

Or maybe not?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• wire2wire2 Member Posts: 188
    >the overhead displayed a warning that the spare tire pressure was low. I need to figure out how it monitors each tire and what happens when you rotate?

Each of the 5 sensors has a unique signal, it knows if the spare is changed with one of the other 4 and will display "spare swap detected".
    After a tire rotation you have to teach all 5 with the magnet or it will report pressures from the old positions
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    How do you reboot the car?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    illini4-

You call Bill Gates in WA and have him "reboot/restart" from there! ;-))

fastdriver
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I find that low mileage 300M's can be found at bargain prices. I remain impressed with that car - my 2000 Intrepid has been a pure joy, and I would be as happy with a 300M as with a C. Tell me, though, what fuel mileage are you seeing, and does it really require mid-grade (89) fuel?
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I have a 2000 M, now closing in on 90,000 happy miles. I get between 20 and 21 mpg consistently in a mix of freeway and surface road driving. I put on a little over 100 miles per day going to work and back home. I do use mid grade fuel, but many of the owners who have posted here over the last few years have reported little if any difference in performance or mileage using regular.
    Good luck with your choice of cars.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    My '99 M with 60,000 miles gets mileage similar to Lynn's. 50 mile/day commute some highway, some local. I use regular unleaded.

Unfortunately for us owners, at least in the Boston area, Ms can be had for a song. But I never really factored resale into my purchase decision ( a car just is not an investment...). Although my '99 has been a faithful servant, I'd look for a year 2000 or later for some of the improvements Chrysler made.

My 99M at 69K miles now, still running only on the low test stuff with no problems at all, and getting 20 mpg around town and 25 mpg on the highway.
    As the owner/lessee of 4 300M's over the past 4 years, I have found gas mileage to be different with each one. The 2000 year 300M had the best -- on a straight line cruise control uninterrupted trip of 200 miles @ 75 MPH, gas mileage (average going and returning) was about 26.2. The same trip in the 2001 was about 25.2. We have not really had the 2003's on the same trip, but I sense they are slightly lower based on other driving. I assume the reason for the lower gas mileage for the newer models may be due to tighter pollution control requirements. Funny thing, though -- the 2000 was rated @ 26 MPG and the later models @ 27 MPG.

The city driving is another story. So much depends on the starts and stops of your drive as this eats up a lot of gas. Of course, I am usually pretty quick off the mark, which doesn't help either. I probably average 15 - 15.5 in the city.

Used values in Southern California are relatively high. My wife recently totaled her 2001 base 300M with 36,840 miles and the insurance settlement (before taxes, etc.) was about $17,500. After refunding us tax and unused registration, the gross settlement was $19,166 (less $500 deductible). We paid $24,888 (new) in 2001, so we were pretty happy with the settlement...
    Cruised up for a conference to the Cincinnati airport area and back last Thursday and Friday. Nice cruise most of the way at just over 70 mph. Averaged a touch over 26 mph on that 300 mile trip. Smiles aplenty til I found that some bonehead had dinged my door at the hotel. On Sunday I decided to try that GL27 scar remover I'd seen on TV, and got some at Walmart. Low and behold it actually did eliminate the scuffed appearance area, so all I have is a tiny little indent.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    That's precisely why I don't even bother trying to get those close, convenient parking spots. The farther away, the better.
  • dustinnewtondustinnewton Member Posts: 242
    My 2000 M (with a custom Magnaflow exhaust system and K&N FIPK intake kit) gets about 21-22 in the city and at 75MPH on the interstate I get 26-28 MPG. Tht's with the cruise control and not my heavy size 15 shoe!! When I am in "drive it like you stole it" mode, I get significantly less. I burn mid-grade gas exclusively because of the reported 15HP increase in power over regular gas (per DC). I received some information today that the Talladega Superspeedway near my home is having fan appreciation day in September and all ticket holders for the fall NASCAR race can run a lap on the track in their personal car!! I am there! I am already going to do the ride-along with the Petty Driving Experience (170 MPH in a specially equipped stock car) but making a lap in the M will be so nice!
    Does anybody have any idea how long this stuff works in the tranny fluid? Does it keep working until the fluid is changed or does it break down over time and lose its effectiveness?
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    Just to comment on our 04 with 1900 mis we are getting absolute best case mileage of 27 with cruise set at 70mph over 50 miles no stops, no wind. In town average of 18. As for door dings, we are parking in far corners of the lots and unbelievably this red 300M attracts people like fly paper ... I watched two guys park near me and admire the car when I was sitting in a restaurant last week, one closer than I wanted. At least they seem to be careful opening doors, but this is nuts, one of the dangers of having a nice looking car.
    Get used to the looks. I can say this with all honesty, I have at five different times in my travels had strangers come up to me at a gas station or convenience store and tell me that my 99 300M in platinum is the best looking car they have ever seen. Course I have a spoiler and racing stripes, etc. on it, so its a little more custom than most, but the facts are the facts. That never happened with any other car I owned. I have a 04 Vette coming in about 10 days, and I wonder if it will command the attention that the 300M does. Probably not.

Given the mileage you are getting now, it looks to me like you will go up a couple of mpg as she breaks in. Mine has improved steadily over the last 6 years. I got almost 27 on the last trip at about 72 mph, and I get 20 around town.
    ...that my '99 Platinum M was out and about. The Platinum (metallic) paint is just stunning in the sunlight. Unfortunately, quite dull when not "under the lights."

Evil wife and I switched cars so I could get hers serviced. She commented how quickly and smoothly the M pulls up to and rides at 70. To which I replied, "And 80, 90 and, ahem, I'm told 100+..."

I agree with bigmike, my mpg seems to have improved by about 10% since day one almost 5 years ago.

Enjoy. As the Mickey Ds slogan goes, "I'm lovin' it!"

• vacman1vacman1 Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2004 M special and use premium (92 or 93). Gas mileage is decent at 23 mpg hwy. Of course why should I worry too much about gas mileage at 75 mph? lol

Man its HARD not to drive that thing fast!
    I wish ya well at the track, but fer god's sake don't lose it! It'd be a challenge explaining the mishap to any insurance company ...
    <i/>if you are looking for an M replacement and can step up a little try the new benz e320 cdi. diesel is about 20-50 cents cheaper and the benz gets 27/37 with most drivers reporting high 30 range in mileage.

Call me nuts, but what's the sense in paying $38-42K for a diesel MB, as opposed to my loaded 2004 M at $29K to save only about $1500 total in fuel costs over 5 years?
  • dustinnewtondustinnewton Member Posts: 242
    That would be an interesting conversation, wouldn't it?!?!

Insurance rep: How fast were you going at the time of the accident?
    Me: 125
    IR: Location of the accident?
    Me: Between turn four and the tri-oval.
    IR: Tri-oval?
    Me: Yep, near the Cup garages.
    IR: Near what intersection?
    Me: Speed and terror?
    IR: Huh?
    Me: Either Kevin Harvick or Matt Kenseth spun me out.
    IR: They spun you?
    Me: That's racin'!

:-))
    I have noticed that my 2k M (PHP) has developed a shimmy in the front end when entering a right hand curve, especially reverse camber. I fear that the tie rod/s are shot. My Geico extended warranty will cover it, but with a $250 deduct. I will post the results after my visit to a local dealer.

I drove two round trips, Dallas to Houston this month. Average speed, 70-75 mph. Using mid-grade gas my mileage was around 26 -28 mpg, depending on wind direction. A new grey/blue GTO passed me. Sweet looking car!
    I had to replace my tie rod ends last fall at around 74K miles. After replacing the tie rod ends, the mechanic also found that my steering rack was bad. You should have him check that while he's at it. You definitely want the rack replaced (if it needs to be) while it's covered by warranty. Mine went out about 500 miles before my extended warranty expired!
    I've been looking at the new GTO, but I think I'll just keep driving my M until it quits. It turned 90K last week.
    I also drove a new 300C. Loved the way it drives, still hate the way it looks.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    Does anybody know if the nav disc for the new RB1 in the 300s will work with the previous RB1 in the 300Ms? I tinkered with the new one in the Magnum R/T and it has some neat features; a couple being the ability to choose color schemes and screen brightness. I always wanted to have a brightness control feature on my RB1. Another thing I miss is the mid-level sound control.

Does anybody out there with an M with RB1 have access to get the disc for the new 300 to try it out?
    Hey, Lynn. Glad you're still enjoying your M-and thanks for the tip on the steering rack. I will have him check it out along with the tie rods. Tuesday AM I will be first in line at the dealer.

Silver
  • mazcarfan1mazcarfan1 Member Posts: 10
    I was test driving a fully loaded 99 300M and was wondering when using the autostick mode.. do you have to take your foot off the gas pedal before up-shifting and down-shifting like on a regular clutch manual transmission?

- Allen, Thanks
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    No.
    Autostick actually shifts more smoothly if you do not lift when shifting.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    The dealer says only the left tie rod bushing is worn. I wanted both replaced, but they told my extended warranty provider that only the left was bad. GEICO says no alignment will be needed, only a toe-in adjustment to be included in the replacement labor charge. Dealer service manager says that's not right. GEICO is sending a third party to evaluate the car's needs. SM says he will argue on my behalf. Grrrr! If only one is replaced, and no alignment is done, the total is less than my deductable. I have two cars, three drivers, four houses insurance with GEICO (at least for now).
    To me and my '99 M. Number 5. Man, time flies. All is well as I approach 61,000 miles.

There's a shiny new black 300C here at work. I'm going to try and park next to it to compare and contrast. A Beauty and the Beast sort of thing...

With interest rates heading up, anybody thinking of running out and buying a new toy sooner than later? I plan to keep my M at least to the end of '04.

I read somewhere that all the Chrysler divisions were higher rated than Mercedes in the latest JDPower long-term (3 years of ownership) survey. I feel that Chrysler began to turn the reliability corner with our generation LH cars, pre-merger.

See y'all in July...

Congratulations!

I assume that the Beauty you refer to is your 99 300M and not the "Black Beauty" parked at work!

With 2 2003 300M's in the stable, I don't plan on any replacements anytime soon.

Interestingly, someone on the 300C board said Chrysler made a good move in ending the production of the "bubble" cars. I agree it may have been time to move on if for no other reason than to distance themselves from the competition, which have been copying the cab forward design over the past few years. The redesigned Nissan Altima could easily have been mistaken for a 7/8 size 300M.

Anyway, whether or not it was a good move for Chrysler, I think they should consider giving their designers something more than an etch-a-sketch to design their new sedans...
    The 300M is the "Beauty."

I do give Chrysler credit for switching gears and taking a chance (as did Caddy with the, imho, overdone thereby making a basically handsome car ugly) CTS. And the 300C has grown on me somewhat, just gotta cut down on the grille and maybe dress up the rear end a bit. But it's not for me as I'm looking to downsize in my next vehicle.

Those "bubble" Chryslers were arguably the most handsome line of cars on the road (still are?).

"Those "bubble" Chryslers were arguably the most handsome line of cars on the road (still are?)."

I agree 100%! A few weeks ago, we were looking for a replacement car for my wife (she totalled hers). There were no deals on 300M's -- probably because the dealers couldn't get enough 300's to sell. I'll admit I considered buying a 300C (my wife would have taken over my 300M because she hates the 300C). However, Chrysler wasn't taking orders and I would not pay over MSRP.

Anyway, a "one only" 2003 300M demonstator was advertised at a great price and we snapped it up.

I may consider the 300C in the future as it looked so much better in person than in pictures. However, I am considering it only because of the hemi. I hope Chrysler finds something nicer to put it in...
    Well, I finally downgraded from my 99 300M to a Chevy. Course this Chevy is a 2004 coupe, Medium Sprial Gray, Targa top, has some crossed flags for an emblem, and goes like hell. Picked it up yesterday. Been looking for a 300C to dust. Big question: How do I tell the wife when she comes back from seeing the Grandchild in Boston??? She will still have to pry the keys to my M from my cold, dead, hands before my baby goes anywhere. lol
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    That is a rare color you got. Medium Sprial Gray. I was looking into a 04 vette too. Wanted a Z06 though. Couldn't find a cheap one.
  • j3studioj3studio Member Posts: 27
    Folks,

Thanks for all the help over the years. This forum (that means you folks!) got us through the first couple interesting months with our 1999 (slate, PHP) and was extraordinarily kind, understanding, and (above all) useful over the years.

We traded in our 300M yesterday, at a little over 86 thousand (hard) miles. Niggling things were starting to happen - the air conditioning compressor was starting to fail for the second time, as was the driver's power window motor. The driver's door was also starting to stick again. We also wanted to have all wheel drive before another winter hits.

In spite of the issues, I believe the 300M aged well, especially considering we had the first year of production. The most important components continue to function as intended - the engine still enjoys full throttle acceleration.

:)

I think the 300M remains one of the finest looking sedans out there. I am one of those who believe that there was a chance to go real wheel drive and go hemi while keeping the same general look. If that had happened, we would have given the 300C serious consideration.

Thanks again!
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Fuzzy, I got a 300C, if you want to come to Canada and I have the track if you wish!!!!! LOL
    Geico sent an independent mechanic to inspect the tierod bushings. He agreed that both should be replaced AND a full alignment paid by the GEICO extended warranty, less the $250 deductible. They paid $190, to my pleasant surprise. Lesson learned? Ask to speak to a supervisor if the first agent you talk to turns you down. Don't take "no" for an answer if you think you are not being treated fairly.
    I knew you were looking for a Z06 from the Vette board. The 04's should be available everywhere [except the Commemorative model] for about $11-12K off the sticker. I got $9K off a $49K sticker on the coupe, plus $1K from my GM card. Out the door at $39K plus tax of course. Once again challenged by the Need for Speed. lol
  • alcatrazt2alcatrazt2 Member Posts: 70
    Congradulations on your new car man...My mom and I were shopping around for another new car (we have a 2002 300M Pro-AM Edition) and we went to the Vette dealer to find out that they were overpriced as hell. A Z06 would cost 54K, and even some regular C5's were priced at around 48K. Anyways, we decided to pass on that car...I want a 300C Bad! "Been looking for a 300C to dust." How can you be saying that MIKE! 300C is another class and a whole notha' story! Yet, I am again a loyal Chrysler fan...LOL...that thinks my 300M and other 300M's can beat even Ferraries...Drive safe...and ENJOY!
  • bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    In the past, when I polish my car (99 candy apple red metallic) the scratches that I have turn out blue or white from the polish residue. Well, I did try the Eagle One NanoWax. I must say it did a great job of hiding the scratches by filling them in. Much less wax residue with that stuff also. I'm just passing this along for anyone with a bright paint job who has the same problem.

Regarding batteries, I made a mistake today that perhaps some of you can avoid. Battery went dead last night; fortunately a nice couple gave me a jump. Went to Pep Boys today and got a new Energizer battery installed. After I got it installed, I realized it was one of those batteries witht the removable plates on top that requires filling it up w/distilled water every so ofter. Big mistake on my part; down in the wheel well I'll never be able to pop it open without major surgery of removing the air cleaner, etc. I know the store also had the no-maintenance type; I just wasn't paying attention. Live and learn.

May everyone have a safe and happy 4th.
  • morselandmorseland Member Posts: 25
        Although we planned to trade our 1999 300M (Steel Blue 2000 color)for our new Dodge Magnum R/T the day before the trade in we were rammed by a Lincoln Navigator while parked in a hotel in Hyannis, Ma. I have a great body man and I am confident the car will look as good as new when he is done. I too am having air conditioning problems and I wonder if I should have it repaired or live with the car without. It has 80,000 miles but still drives and handles like it was new.
         Although the new Magnum is terrific is does drift to the right slightly and hopefully we can have it repaired properly. The 300M still tracks perfectly. I like the style of both cars and although my wife wants me to trade the repaired 300M for a small pick-up I am
    debating keeping the car which is still fun to drive.
         I wonder why the 1999's have had compressor problems and I wonder how many miles I can expect to get from the V-6 before major problems. Of course we have had the window servo problems and transmission sensors replaced, but overall I still feel it has been a great car overall.