Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Had my M for 6.5 years/73.5K miles. Been on this board almost since its inception, and also the Club board, and never had or heard of anyone having stalling at any speed, or even while idling. Steering has never been a problem whatsoever. Handles like a dream and drives like it is on rails. Don't think you will regret the purchase, it has been my favorite car, and I've been driving for 46 years. I'm still doing mods on her and refused to sell her when I added an 04 Vette to my garage this past summer.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Mike-LOL! I don't know that it is any louder or hissing at other cars. I am not concerned about fumes since the leak is very far to the rear.

Besides, on cold morning starts the underhood thrashing of noisy belts drown out the exhaust noise. I replaced the belts at 45k miles, but it still is noisy until warmup.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I was curious to know if your 99 had any optional equipment (power handling package, upgraded interior, sound system, chromes, moonroof, etc.) If so, that seems like a good price (for southern California, anyway).

My wife and I currently have 2003 300M's. I had a 2000 (turned in on lease) and my wife had a 2001 (totalled when she bottommed out and ripped open the oil pan). This was paid off through our car insurance.

The 2000 was very much like the 1999. There were very few bugs in the 99 (for a first year car) and these were mostly gone by 2000. The main computer on my 2000 died about 2 weeks before lease turn in @ 35,500 miles. I had a left pull that was eliminated when I replaced the OE Goodyear tires. The automatic temperature control did not work properly -- it was always too cold. Dealer could not fix. But the car ran beautifully, got better gas mileage than the later models and I could not find a better car for the price as a replacement.

Neither my wife nor I have had any problems with our 2003's. However, as always with a used car purchase, you do take your chances.

Personally, I feel that both my 300M's (2000 & 2003) have been the best cars I have ever owned. That includes the 2004 Crossfire that my wife and I share.

Hope this helps.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    I had a '99 300M for 5.5 years and enjoyed it very much, a couple of issues under warranty, but none out of warranty. Great car, I can recommend it. However, I might look for a 2000 instead of a '99 as there were a few improvements including more noise suppression, a cd changer and rear cup holders. The '99 can be a bit loud (wind, road noise).

Wonderful car, still a looker. Wherever mine is...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• bigdog7bigdog7 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, this is my first post to this forum. I have spent most of the day reading through about the last 2 years of posts:) I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a simple question. I am the proud new owner of a beautiful '04 Onyx Green M. The car has 14,000 miles on it and is in immaculate condition. This is my second 300M. We had an '01 Silver one which my wife slipped on some ice last winter, ran into a ditch and flipped it over a couple of times. The car protected her very well, but it was totalled. To make a long story short, I have had a couple of cars since then (an Oldsmobile Intrigue which we still have, and an SS Monte Carlo,) but nothing compared to the 300M and I always knew I would have another one. Well, I traded the Monte Carlo last Thursday for my new baby and I couldn't be happier. Now for my question. Is there any way to get the display on the radio to show the time instead of the radio station, CD track/time, etc.? If I hit the time button the clock will be displayed for a few seconds and then it goes back to the radio display. If possible, I would like for the time display to be the default. I realize this is a very minor concern but I could swear my other 300m displayed the time on the radio and would only show the radio station for few seconds after you changed it and then would go back to the clock.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    No, they cut the '03 model year a little short, then started the '04s a little early and made them for another short model year. Then the new LX's came out as '05s.
    Any ideas on the clock question? Does anyone's radio display the time as the default or do you have to hit the time button everytime? Can it be done? Thanks.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    I seem to recall that I was able to keep my digital clock display up on my radio. I can't remember for certain because I've had the factory navigation unit in it for some time now. I never considered the clock display that big of a deal since there's the analog clock right in the center of the dash.

Keep an eye out on Ebay! or Half.com. I will eventually be getting around to listing my original radio. It's the one with the cassette, CD changer controls, 3-band equalizer, and Sirius satellite capable (w/ factory Sirius receiver and necessary cables).
  • alcatrazt2alcatrazt2 Member Posts: 70
    Hey everyone. As always, feels great to check back this forum...as you all know, I switched to a 2005 Audi A4 1.8T. But, I kept my 300M, and now, my mom is the daily driver.

Well, now the car has 16,000 miles and I'm still not having any problems with the vehicle. But, the 300M sure feels different after driving the A4...

I've noticed that for some reason, after the last maintenance done to the car (before 16k) the car has become a lot heavier...normal?

Also, driving a Multitronic tranny on the A4, the AutoStick seems weird...ex. I was on first gear, went to 5,000 r.p.m. and the engine was roaring but it seemed pretty sluggis and i still have 6000+ redline! is this normal?

Other than that, the radio knob seems to be not functioning correctly, when I try to lower the volume really fast, the music gets louder! and sometimes, lowering the volume will simply not lower anything as if the knob is spinning for no cause...

Anyways, I'm planning to get the knob checked up, as of the car feeling a little heavier after the last maintenance and the AutoStick...I'd be very happy if you guys could post a few of your thoughts...

My big hello's to my old pals who've helped me so much, bigmike5, tayl0rd, intrepidspirit, laurasdada, and all the others... :)
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    Well bigdog7 despite my liking the looks of the analog clock and instrument panel overall (I also own a Tag Heuer watch after many years of analog/digital combos) and wondering why they even had a digital clock to mess with on the 300M's radio ... you got my curiosity going here.

We also are in the middle of our 2 day mid winter thaw in MN, roads clear and temp of 41 today after -15 ten days ago. So I just hopped out to the garage and tried to get the radio display to stay on "clock" with the Time switch.

No luck. Nothing in the owners manual even.

FYI if you read earlier posts I have been semi active in this group since I got a 04 red 300M last spring (I should say my wife's M who lets me drive it in the winter so she can drive our 4WD Grand Cherokee). No problems with the car, seems to handle OK in moderate snow but hard to critique compared to a JGC. I am looking forward to spring, pop open the sunroof (41's not quite warm enough for that especially being stuck at work until almost dark).

BTW we have the 6 CD changer radio. No satellite radio (my son works at Best Buy and we got a real deal on XM which I prefer over Sirius anyway) and no Nav screen as I have a built in compass in my head (long story, but I never get lost except for Boston). We did try out an earlier less loaded 300M with single CD that scrolled the name of the songs across the screen which I thought was kinda neat and surprised this radio does not offer it. My 18 year old son wishes it was MP3 compatible, but I'm sure it's a late 90s design before this MP3 craze came on strong. Oh yes, my 01 Grand Cherokee's radio does toggle between radio frequency or clock, and it's a single CD system, but very similar to the 300Ms in operation which is one reason we picked the 300 vs other vehicles ... other than the lights/wipers most other controls are similar to the Jeeps which is kinda nice when you get used to something and the design is pretty good.
    Well, your M feels heavier because it's a bigger, heavier car than your new A4. The Autostick doesn't have as many gears or as close of gear ratios as your A4. You've got a heavy, FWD car with a poorly spaced 4-speed automatic. The gearing is simply not properly matched to the 300M's engine.

But don't worry, she can still scoot along quite nicely. Maybe you and your mom can take both cars out on the freeway. Run the A4 against your M up to, say, 100MPH. Don't want to get too crazy. That will dispell your fear of your M being sluggish as you're watching its taillights get smaller on the horizon. :-)) Despite a nice power band, it still takes just a little longer for the 300M to get into its sweet zone thanks to the transmission. (Now that I think about it, that's probably why they gave us Autostick to begin with. When you punch it on the freeway, I don't think it actually shifts all the way down to second gear if you're doing more than 55MPH. I think the torque convertor does some trickery in third gear to spin up the engine a little more. But that's just my opinion.)

I had a run-in last night in my Special as I was trying to merge onto the freeway. I punched it to get up to speed after hooking through a really sharp onramp (man, this car handles like a slot car!), and there was some person trying to keep me from merging in front of him/her. They probably heard me punch it (had to go under an overpass) and he/she punched it too. From the looks of the headlights, it was a Maxima. It was basically a deadlock. They couldn't gain any ground on me, and I wasn't increasing the space between us (two people in my car); not until about 70MPH when I started to pull away. I got up just enough speed to merge in, then came out of it just before 80MPH. Cops have been patrolling that section of the freeway heavily lately.
  • quietflyerquietflyer Member Posts: 33
    On my 300M, which has the single CD/Cassette AM/FM stereo, pressing the time button once when the station display is on will change to the clock display and stay there. If you change stations the display changes for 3 seconds and then changes back to time. Like some others here I usually leave the display showing the station frequencies and use the analog clock at the top of the panel. Looking back at your post I see you are asking about an '04 model. It could be the display has been changed like some of the other "decontenting" I have heard about on later 300M's.
  • ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    I had the same issue with my 300M (2000). I had the dealer change the computer setting so that the clock is the default. It also bothered me so that's why I looked into it. I have had my 300M for 41/2 years and still very happy with it. I have 50,000 miles and have not had any problems yet. Still orginal brakes, tires...Almost traded car in a couple of weeks ago for a new 300C. Tried it out, had my wife go for a ride but she insisted it was too confining for her. I didn't get it but I don't think my heart really wanted that car and needed an excuse not to buy it. I still think the design is much better than anything else on the road today.
    Something else I miss about my M :-(. A classy touch, I feel. But, other than the tires performance in the snow (terrible, I miss the Eagle LS tires! Can I say Eagles, I'm a Pats fan, natch), my new TL is one smooth, quiet, handsome and powerful ride! The blue instruments are very cool, the sound system fab and I'm enjoying the tidier size and, again, quieter ride. For all the talk of failing trannys, I think the TL tranny makes much better use of the engine than did the 4 speed in my M. And it hasn't failed after over 600 miles!

I think if one had to give up their M, moving to a TL would help ease the pain...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• 02owner02owner Member Posts: 34
    Just wanted to report that my 300M struggled a bit on its Michelin MX4's in the snowy conditions prevailing Saturday and Sunday and on Monday night's black ice, even getting stuck once and having to be shoveled free. I can't help thinking this is a car in search of a tire, because it is beautifully balanced and its power curve is very smooth. All I know is that I either need snows on the front (I've never used 4 snows on twenty years of front-drive cars) or a better (maybe softer) all-season tire.
    I'm with you on the analog clock! I got a custom clockface for my 2000 M that has my name and the 300M logo on it. I made sure I opened up the clock again to remove the clockface and put it in my 2003 M when the 2000 lease was up....

When my wife's 2001 was totalled, I retrieved everything from her car, including her custom clockface. Unfortunately, when she bought her 2003 M, I couldn't find it in the bag of "stuff" I retrieved and I haven't been able to find it since. Too bad, because I think that clockface was part of her decision-making process to buy another M...
    Intrepid: When I traded my M, of course I cleaned it out (including keeping the cargo net for wife's car!). I filled two bags, one from trunk stuff, one from in car stuff. I still haven't completely gone through the in car stuff bag!
    TL has generic digital clock...

Snow: If it makes you feel any better, the OEM Bridgestone's on my '05 Acura TL are terrible in the snow also... So far the TC/VSC/ABS has kept me going.

Thanks for all the replys. I do love the analog clock, I think it looks very classy. I just am not in the habit of looking at it yet. I never realized how often I looked at the clock display on the radio until it wasn't there.
    I got an unpleasant surprise yesterday. My 2003 300M (9,500 miles) got a flat tire at work. I called Chrysler roadside assistance to change the tire (as I have done at least twice before with previous Chrysler/Dodge products). I was told that, beginning with the 2003 vehicles, roadside assistance was no longer available for flat tires!

I would think that probably 50% of vehicle disablements would probably be due to flat tires. So Chrysler saved maybe $25-$30/car for 3 years of coverage by providing such a lame service. I realize they decontented the cars without revealing what they had taken out, but reducing the roadside service without letting you know (until you need it) is the ultimate in cheapness, and in my opinion, stupidity. As the owner/lessee of 3 late model Chryslers, is this how they value my business? Spending millions of $ in advertising to gain new customers and then dismissing them with this penny-ante treatment?

Thanks for nothing, DC!
    Still love my M....just less enamored with it's maker. :)
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    If you need a great all season tire for the M and want a tire that grips well in the snow, look into the BF Goodrich Traction T/A. It'a t-rated tire but it handles great or dry or wet roads. Read the reviews at tirerack.com. And as a bonus, the tire is very inexpensive and comes in the 17in size for our Ms.
    The OM says that H-rated tires should be used whether PHP or not but the only 225/55R17 H-rated tires I know of are the Michelin MXV4, which are awful in the snow, and the Continental EcoContact, which have received mixed reviews on the TireRack website. Would it be a big beal if I mounted a T-rated tire such as the BFG on my M, which is a non-PHP car? I can't help thinking that a T-rated tire might have a smoother ride, and I need better snow traction. Otherwise, Bridgestone Blizzaks may have to be the answer.
    I have had the t-rated tires on the car for about 4k miles. No problems at all. They handle great. I think they're good for 118mph. BF Goodrich doesnt make a proper tire size with an H rating. I was hesitant at first to buy a t-rated tire as previously I was using a v-rated Yokohama 420 tire. But I like these tires better than the Yokos. If you have a non-php 300M, give this tire a try if you want decent handling at a budget price.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I stepped up to the V-rated Yoko's which were cheaper and rode better than the Michelins. I would give them a try.
    Has anybody checked out the 2005 Chicago Auto Show website? Take a look at the 2006 Buick Lucerne and tell me if it isn't heavily influenced by the '99 - '04 300M.
    mmm...maybe from the side. I always felt the Altima redisgn of a few years ago was really a 7/8 scale 300M.

One of the reviews of the 300C went on to say that it replaced athe 300M, but unlike the 300M it had a bold exciting design while the 300M was rather ordinary. Maybe in 2005 it is ordinary looking because the styling has been integrated into many other cars. In 1998, the 1999 was one of those "love it or hate it" cars because of it's bold styling.

We'll see what they have to say about the 300C styling around 2011...I bet it won't seem so exciting any more...
    Well said. It is the prime example of the phrase "How soon they forget..."
  • ski1003ski1003 Member Posts: 41
    Well I am trading in my 2000m this morning. I'm getting 2005 Toyota Avalon. New stye and really think I will like it. Like you, still will miss my 2000m. It's been a great car, 51000 miles and never had a problem. Same tires, brakes, etc. I'm guess I wanted a change but still think I will miss the M. Also, didn't really get what I thought the car was worth for a trade-in but I didn't want the hassle of selling it myself. Whoever buys this car should be extremely happy, as on as it doesn't start having problems now. I also live in Mass so I know how the weather has been but the M never had a problem in the snow. Are you getting use to you Acura by now? Do you still miss your M?
    You might say I am biased, but I believe the 300M has an enduring style and I still think it is the best looking sedan on the road today!

I had the chance last May (when my wife totalled her M) to opt for the 300 (she would have taken over my M). The hemi was tempting, but not readily available at that time. And both my wife and I much preferred to have a 300M with the 3.5L engine than a 300 (touring or limited) with the same engine. In fact, my wife said she would not drive a 300 with any engine...so we got her a 300M demo (fully loaded) @ $10,000 off MSRP.

From what I have seen, I don't know that Chrysler/Dodge is in our future, especially after seeing the disappointing Charger...
    Hi, Ski:

I'm a skier, too if that is what your alias implies. Best thing you can do in winter!

I do still miss my M but I'm enjoying the TL more and more. The quiet ride and great power (at higher RPMs) put a smile on my face. Not to mention, a la the 300M (which is seriously more handsome than the 300C), the excellent style both in and out. Like the M, the TL is a great car and value!

My M was great in the snow, never a problem. The TL (and I blame the tires. They claim "all-season," I believe they're really three season!) not so hot. But it has gotten me there and back, just with extra caution.

67,000 miles with no real problems in the M. A couple of new tires, brakes done around 60,000 miles and windows and tranny module in warranty, but it started every day and was just a pleasure to drive.

I probably could/should have kept it one more year, but I was in the mood and Honda was offering 2.9% financing so I moved on.

I continue to hope it has found a good home.

Good luck with the Avalon. See you on the slopes!?

I think we have chatted on tires on this forum before and I see other posting above. I have now tried my 04 300M with the stock Michelins in a few inches of snow and while "ok" am not overly impressed. I have the Traction T/As on my son's car and just recommended them to my daughter for her Chevy Prizm (Corolla) for next year - I think they are very good all around tires with a good bite for snow (can't talk on wear but they look pretty new after 12k miles and with a low price even if they only go 35-40k miles and have good winter traction, who cares?). I am glad to see they could be an option for my 300M, hopefully still available when I need them in 3-4 years.

But I have a question: has anyone ever done tire siping with a touring tire? I was looking at tires for a grand prix a couple years ago and both Tires Plus and Firestone had recommended siping (maybe I am not spelling it right, but it's adding horizontal grooves to performance tires to get more winter "bite"). I went with the Traction T/As but now with the Michelins, while I know I'd void any warranty, these dealerships would "sipe" them for $20/tire for added winter traction. I just thought I'd see if any forum readers ever tried this as to be honest, I was skeptical but yet with tire shops pushing it seemed like it might be legit.

BTW, I just called the sales manager at our DC dealer to discuss possibly buying the extended warranty as I need to do that in the next month to get his guaranteed special price w/i the first ownership year. It's tough to justify $900 as still NO problems with the car after a year and 8500 miles, superb quality. Or perhaps today I just found my first problem: with lights on automatic turning on the wipers don't switch the lights on. I checked the overhead console and it's programmed correctly ... seems odd as everything else is working. This is a nit, very livable, but maybe unless I goofed something up my first in warranty failure. We still are very pleased with the car; while I have gotten used to the new 05 300 styling my wife would never consider owning one. They are finally starting to show up in the northern states like MN where we live, perhaps some AWD models are arriving as a RWD powerful car just does not cut it in the snow belt. We plan to keep our 300M at least another 6-7 years yet.

Dave in SE Minnesota
    Hi, Dave:

Regarding the lights/wipers, and you may already know and have discounted this, on my '99 M with the lights in "auto" once you turn on the wipers the headlights by design don't come on for 10 seconds. I never had a problem. Once you turn the wipers on, did you check the headlights after 10 sec. had elapsed?

I have an '05 Acura TL w/Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires, avoid them like the plague if you are driving in snow! The BFG Traction T/A seemed to get pretty good reviews on tirerack.com. I may have to switch myself...

Invest the $900 in a conservative investment (CD, Money Market, Savings Bond...). If you need reparis, you've got the money earning (nominal) interest. If you never need out of warranty repairs, well, same deal, you've still got YOUR money! IMHO & YMMV.

My only hang-up is that speed rating. It seems to me that a non-PHP 300M would, most probably, have a suspension similar to the Concorde/LHS/Intrepid, which used 225/60R16 T-rated OEM tires such as the Goodyear Eagle LS or Eagle GA, and use aftermarket T-rated tires such as the old Goodrich Touring T/A, Cooper Lifeliner, Dunlop G/T Qualifier, etc. Yet Chrysler does specify an H-rated tire on the 300M. I'm never gonna drive over 112 MPH, so I'm inclined to just get a T-rated tire this coming summer, but I don't want the suspension to be messed up. In any event, the MX4's are TERRIBLE in snow and ice, at least here in the northeast. I won't buy them again.
    Thanks for the tip but I tried the lights on auto and turned the wipers on but still nothing after 10+ seconds (which is interesting because a similar operation on my 01 Jeep GC puts the lights on right away). I suspect there is some quirk hiding in the manual, it seems odd just that part of the automatic operation would quit, or maybe it never worked (a missing/broken wire?). Thanks again on that and the extended warranty thoughts, I'll have to see what my mood is like next month before my 1 year window expires.
    I know many owners of the 300M that have used t-rated tires with no negative effects. Several have used Yokohama t-rated Avids and are happy with them. Several have tried the BF Goodrich t-rated tires including myself and all have been very happy with them. The feedback on Tirerack by owners of the BF Goodrich traction t/a tires is overwhelmingly positive.
  • kylitokylito Member Posts: 17
    I just wanted to let everyone know the traction T/A's are awesome. I just bought them for my 2000 300m and use them up in Manitoba Canada where we are known for are insane winters. these tires are awesome for traction as well they are quiet. Before this i had the goodyear eagle LS. These tires were not worth the rubber they were put on. They should be discontinued. Terrible road noise, could not be balanced, wore out quickly and I could keep going.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Just be warned. You are suspect to law suites if you put under speed rated tires on a car that requires a higher speed rating. If you cause an accident, you can be held liable.
    I for one would never do that for the simple fact I drive too fast. Never had anything less then Z on my M.
    Fuzzy,

You have the PHP, right? Those of us with the 118 mph limiter would be legal with t's (although my preference is higher-rated).
    Subject to suit if you don't have speed-rated tires and not traveling at a speed anywhere near the rating?
  • quietflyerquietflyer Member Posts: 33
    I've been following the messages about using T-rated tires on the 300M. Our speed rating system is based on a system used in Europe to rate tires for use on their high speed roads. Tire manufacturers and car builders set up the rating system so that tires could be matched to the performance of cars used on the no-speed limit roads. A speed rating is determined for the tires maximum load and pressure. The rating system ensures that a rated tire meets or exceeds the requirements for a particular speed. The speeds used for each rating are converted from kph, that's why the steps seem odd.

Based on what the DOT has published on their web site, the speed rating does not affect or determine the handling characteristics of a tire. The tire manufacturer could make tires that were identical except for the speed rating. Most of the time they make the tires different for other reasons. Usually the rubber compounds and tread patterns are different for better dry or wet traction and tread wear. I imagine if the market wanted it they could make a Z-rated tire that would go 80,000 miles. However, to do that would require compromising handling as the rubber compound would have to be much harder to get the wear characteristics. For most driving we do in our 300M's most any speed rating would do (assuming you stay close to the speed limits!) Any handling differences would be due to what the tire manufacturer determined for a particular tire line not the speed rating.
  • alcatrazt2alcatrazt2 Member Posts: 70
    Hey Guys!
    Today, my mom was comming home (2002 300M) and she was on the freeway on-ramp...accelerating to about 60M.P.H. when she said her top (Dome/Map) lights started giving out a light show...flashing (turning on/off/on/off). She went ahead and manually turned the lights off, so they wouldn't come back on, and after a minute, they did the same. I went ahead and drove the car around, about 10 minutes ago, and nothing came up. Any ideas? Is this a sign of something that shouldn't be happening/will happen in the future? A possible warning?
  • seeburg222seeburg222 Member Posts: 24
    Nothing to worry about, she just experienced the '300M Light Show'. Mine used to do that too when I drove it spiritedly. The computer actually turns on & off all the lights on the car. Sometimes it gets a glitch. Nothing to worry about!
    As Seeburg says, it is nothing to worry about. Over the past 6 years, I estimate at least 50% of 300M owners who posted at Edmunds have experienced this light show.

Don't bother to take it to a dealer. This is an automatic "unable to duplicate problem" for them...
    I, too, occasionally received the "light show." I solved at that moment by adjsuting the light rheostat. Solved it every time.

Missin' the M, lovin' the TL.

• rwhite692rwhite692 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, great info on these forums.

BACKGROUND:

My 2001 300M with the 3.5 engine has given me a trouble-free 118K miles so far. I drive it 65 miles each way to work, 120 miles, every day. It gets regular maintenance done, with oil changes at about 4K intervals, usually. It burns about a quart of oil every 4000 miles, which I guess is about par for the course, considering the mileage.

PROBLEM:

I was wondering if any 300M owners have experienced this problem. Recently it began to have a strange condition, which only happens once in a while, perhaps 2x per week, and only happens when the car has been driven and is up to it's normal operating temperature, is then parked and turned off for a few minutes, and then is re-started. The idle is then extremely rough, (perhaps as if the engine is not getting nearly enough fuel?) Giving it a little throttle while parked, the stumble will gradually go away after about 10 seconds or so, and will smooth out. No check engine light comes on, ever.

I am worried that this may be a prelude to the car quitting entirely, but before I take it to a dealer and get raked over the coals for every kind of maintenance and fix he can dream up, I figured I'd better post here.

I was thinking it may be the fuel filter (has never been changed). I don't know where on this car the fuel filter is hiding. I am capable of replacing it, unless there is some outrageously complicated procedure required to do so. Should I start with that?

Any help / info much appreciated! Thanks! -Rob
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    Sounds like a problem I've had with a couple other fuel injection cars I've owned (including a 98 Intrepid). I believe it's fuel pressure related, but don't remember the specific cause. The fuel filter is inside the fuel tank.
  • trom1trom1 Member Posts: 1
    2002 300m sedan-yokos 4hs tires I love these tires for snow.H rated but I dont drive that fast!Car dives on tilts and jumps on seams.Does anyone know where the best aftermarket struts and stabelizing parts are?I should have bought the Speical!Please Respond-Thank You!
    Is your car equipped with PHP? Otherwise, sounds fairly normal, as base 300M suspension seems fairly oriented to smooth ride.
    When you look at either of these cars, the 300M influence appears very strong, especially in the case of the Lucerne (which IMHO, is a pretty car).

I have sad feelings, though, because either Buick or Pontiac look doomed to extinction.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Well, after 3 years of trouble-free operation in broiling TX summers (and Springs and Falls) my A/C quit cooling the first warm day in March. The dealer replaced the evaporator and coolant for the princely sum of $1,200. I have a $250 deductable on a third party extended warranty. This is exactly why I bought the coverage.

Happy Easter to all!

Silver