Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• 300mguy300mguy Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    This site seems to be having troubles. http://www.techauthority.daimlerchrysler.com/

Here is how to program the remote (Google Groups)
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.makers.chrysler/browse_thread/thread/4c- 295f16c91bf5fa/77a5ed212ff2c4b6?lnk=st&q=300m+programming+keyless+entry&rnum=2&h- l=en#77a5ed212ff2c4b6

HTH,
  • almeidaalmeida Member Posts: 2
    Hi HTH

You wrote:
    Here is how to program the remote (Google Groups)
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.autos.makers.chrysler/browse_thread/thread/4c- - 295f16c91bf5fa/77a5ed212ff2c4b6?lnk=st&q=300m+programming+keyless+entry&rnum=2&h- - l=en#77a5ed212ff2c4b6

Apparently the link above is broken; It will lead to a page error. Do you have the correct URL?

Thanks!

Almeida
  • 300mguy300mguy Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

You have to copy and paste the whole link, not just the blue part.

You could also do what I did and do a google search for "300m programming keyless entry". The last link will be the one for google groups.

HTH,
  • tandreitandrei Member Posts: 2
    The dashboard vinyl glares. If you drive facing the sun, you see the road AND the dashboard reflection together.
    How do I reduce reflection, please? :cry:
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Polarized sunlasses!
  • quietflyerquietflyer Member Posts: 33
    I had posted this a while ago but I can copy it here now.
    Here are the basics: Up to four remotes can be programmed into the car. With vehicle in Park, turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
    2) Using a previously programmed remote, press the Unlock button on the remote. Continue to hold the Unlock button, wait at least 4 seconds but no longer than 10 seconds, then press and hold the Panic button for at least 1 second. Release both buttons simultaneously. You will hear a chime to signal that you can proceed with programming the new remote.
    3) Press and release ANY button on each new transmitter to be programmed as well as the previously programmed remote. You will hear a chime when a remote has been successfully programmed. You will have 30 seconds to finish programming all new remotes. A chime will sound when the 30 seconds is over or the ignition switch is turned to the Lock position. Now if you don't have a remote at all (lost all of them!) then you would have to go to a Chrysler dealer to program new ones.
    I hope this is a help.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Just be sure to use a water proof glue, as condensation will effect most glues.
    Glad to see that there are some old timmers still here.
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    Use a FLAT dashboard conditioner, not the glossy kind. There are a lot of brands out there but you do not want the glossy ones on most dashboards from the past 5-10 years or they will reflect. And yes, polarized sunglasses help too.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    reducing glare can be accomplished by getting a dash cover. I got one from Autozone 7 years ago and it still functions good at reducing glare. It was tailored to fit the dash and cost $35. Check that out with your auto parts stores or Ziebart franchise. :shades:
  • dwilleydwilley Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 300m(brougth it new). It has 128,000 still running strong. Today my compass went crazy(whwn heading e to was switching between N and NW with a cal underneath. Since I have misplaced my owners manual can anyone fill me in on what may be going wrong?
  • tandreitandrei Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know what % of MB parts does 300M have, please?
    A guy from the dealership told me transmission comes from Mercedes.
  • uniguyuniguy Member Posts: 39
    I don't know for certain but I sure doubt it. It's only within the last few years that any significant MB parts have been used in Chrysler products.

Bret
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    The compass is off and is trying to recalibrate itself for some reason.
  • bcarterbcarter Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2000 Chrysler 300M. I love the self dimming rearview mirror, but the side view mirrors do not have that feature. They are heated, but not self dimming. I understand that later models came out with that option, but not in 2000. I was wondering if these later models would fit the 2000 or if there is an aftermarket product that would work and where can I find it.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I believe you can recalibrate the compass by moving the car in a tight circle for 3 full revolutions.
    I never heard that the side mirrors would dim. That is a new one on me. Course I have a 99M so it wouldn't have applied anyway. I have never heard anyone mention that feature for the outside mirrors. :shades:
    The '95 Buick Riviera I owned before the 300M had dimming side mirrors. That was a nice feature and I miss it...
    Yes, the newer M's driver side mirror is autodimming. My '02 Special's mirror dims. Not sure which model year they added the feature.
  • exshomanexshoman Member Posts: 109
    Got what may be an odd question.

Have a 2000 300M with 105K miles I've had since new. I was noticing the other day that it seems to be reluctant to shift into 4th gear at very light acceleration. At the very lightest acceleration (or going downhill giving it little to no gas), the 1-2 shift takes place about 8 mph, 2-3 at about 16 mph, and 3-4 about 37. This seems a tad high to me (I was thinking low 30's should be normal). I can do a manual upshift from 3 to 4 at about 27.

The only reason I ask is because reluctance to upshift under light acceleration was the only symptom I had before the tranny on our 94 Dodge van failed (twice).

Other than that, the tranny seems fine - upshifting and downshifting normally. The dealer didn't seem concerned, and said that they see very few failures on this car. I can't say for sure if it's always shifted at 37 mph, or I just noticed it.

Because of the Dodge's failures, I've been quite good about maintaining the tranny on this, getting it serviced every 15-20K. I'm looking to get another 5 years out of this car, hopefully without having to shell out the $3500+ for a new transmission.
  • ctfangctfang Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 99 300M and have a few issues. There is play in the steering of about 1.5 to 2". It always turns over when starting but wont start until second try. Any help?

31k and a new tranny
    When I was polishing my rims this weekend, one of the center caps fell off the prong. This is the second one to go bad, but at least I didn't lose it going down the road. I glued the chrome piece back on the prong with Liquid Nails construction adhesive (I love that stuff) and it seems to be holding so far.

-Bret
  • luisimprluisimpr Member Posts: 5
    I have had 2 problems with starting on my 99 300m. It has 117k miles though. It would try to start and then stop. Then I tried to start and then it would short out. Everything had power, but the ignition system did not. It was a corroded battery cable. The other problem was that it would try to start but it was like there was no gas. AAA took it to the closest mechanic. Which wanted to charge me 1200 dollars. They said the diagnostic said I had to change some parts. When I asked what parts they said the coil packs, spark plugs, cables and the crank sensor. I just had them change the crank sensor which was like 130 dollars and I tune it up myself. No problems since.
    I have a bit of a problem with little dots of surface rust on my 300. I waxed the whole car this weekend, but it did not remove all the rust. Any suggestions on what I could use that won't damage the clear coat? (I'm not comfortable using a buffer).

Thanks,
    Bret
    There are aftermarket one piece plastic chromed center caps available. Unlike the 2 piece oem caps, these will never fall off or corrode as they are one piece. Here's a picture and some info. Check it out.
    center caps
    I doubt it's surface rust. Maybe it's just some tar or road deposits. Try tar and bug remover that you can find in most autoparts stores. I have even used wd-40 with good results.
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I had a similar steering play problem on my 2000 M at about 70K miles. I had to replace the steering rack to fix it. My extended warranty paid for it, but it would have been around $1000 if I had paid for it myself. My car now has over 138K with no recurrence of the problem (knock on wood!!!!)
    Just wanted to alert the Mer's over here that the All Chrysler Nationals will be held at Carlisle Fair Grounds on July 7-9. There will be a large gathering of M's from the club, and anyone from here is also welcome to check out the Carlisle site, get registered [$35 for the show field parking] and join with a good,knowledgeable group who love the M. We have meals planned, and various events for other family members who might accompany you. Although I have hit other events and run Woodward in the past, this will be my first visit to Carlisle. But others who rave about it will be on their 3rd or 4th visit. I know that at least 25 M's and maybe more are already signed up to come. The Dodge Intrepid group will also be joining their LH platform bretheren for this show. Anyway, we would love to have any Mer's who can make it for a day or the weekend to join us. :shades:
  • ctfangctfang Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply. Your estimate is right on. I am replacing the rack and fuel pump- $1,308! After reading over this site it looks like this M has had every common M problem (tranny also) minus the "light show," and window motors. hopefully i'm done with repairs for a while.
    The little speaker in the center of the dash rattles a lot and I plan to replace it. What size is it? 3.5"?

Thanks,
    Bret
  • lebaronerlebaroner Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2000 300M with an OTIS overhead console. I was wondering if it is possible to replace my OTIS with an EPIC console from a 2001-2004 300M. Has anyone ever tried this upgrade with their 300M before and were you successful?
    A lot of folks have done it, and I believe they were all successful. But, IIRC, in order for all the features to work, you have to reprogram (or get a new) your BCM.

BTW, it's EVIC, not EPIC. ;)
  • nats300mnats300m Member Posts: 1
    I am new to the forum here. I bought a 2001 300M in March 2004, during my last semester of college. It has a steel blue exterior with the dark slate gray interior. I had a 1991 Ford Explorer that was falling apart and it was certainly time for a new vehicle. About a year prior to my purchase, I came across the 300M at a car show and I fell in love with it. I decided right there that my next car would be a 300M. I bought it from my local Chrysler dealer and at the time it had 32,000 miles on it and I paid $16,000 for it. I thought that this was quite a bargain, certainly a lot of car for the money. I have now had it for over two years and have about 62,000 miles on it. There was a short period of a few months where my wife took the car after we got married and I got stuck driving her Honda Civic. Needless to say, we traded in the Civic soon after for a Toyota 4Runner for her to drive so I could get back my M.

So far it has been a decent car. I have had to make a few repairs. The stereo went out once, but I was able to have the unit serviced and has worked fine since then. I also had to replace the sway bar links and I just replaced the rack & pinion. I love the styling on the outside and the luxurious interior. My favorite aspect is the instrument panel gauges, especially lit up at night. Some people say that it is an old man's car, but I resent that. I think it is very sporty and it can blow the doors off most the cars the young guys are driving around these days. I was 22 when I bought the car, so I may have set a record for the youngest purchaser.

I am always planning for my next car, so I would say right now I would consider a new 300, but I also really like the Jaguar X-Type. But, I will hopefully have many more good years with the 300M before I have to buy another car!
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    You're right! The 300M is not an old man's car. It won Car & Driver's Car of the year for 1999 because of its performance and agility on the slalom track.

Now the new 300 -- anything below a hemi engine (2.7 or 3.5) is definitely an old man's car. And the 5.7 hemi is a wonderful, powerful engine, but the 300 is heavier than the 300M and doesn't manoeuver well. That being said, I would love to drive the 300C if only for the hemi experience...
    I recently started to hear a whining noise when I make right turns. Any idea what the cause might be?

Thanks,
    Bret
    My guess would be some kind of power steering problem.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    Well, my 300M just turned 145,000 miles and I've decided it's time for a new car. It was a hard decision since I've had very few problems with the M and I still love it, but I know the problems are bound to start soon (or at least that's what I explained to my wife!).
    I'm buying a new Dodge Charger R/T and I love the way it handles and, of course, the Hemi power, but the body styling just doesn't equal the 300M. At least it does look lots better (to me anyway) than the 300C.
    I hope it comes close to being as good a car as the 300M!

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    Oh no! We're losing another foal! :cry:
    Hey Lynn - If styling matters, and the M is still going good, why not wait another year or so, and get the new Challenger. It will be hot and probably hard to get, particularly if they put it on the LX line at Brampton as the fourth model, but man does it look sweet and a 6.1 Hemi just makes it sweeter. It is supposed to be out in late 2007 as a 2008 model.

If I am still around when that baby hits the market I am going to try real hard not to buy it. lol :shades:
  • my300mspecia2my300mspecia2 Member Posts: 2
    HEY, I NEED SOME HELP TO LOCATE THIS ARTICLE!!!!!!
    RECALLS & TSB??????? :)
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    I traded my M for a 300C in Feb, and have never looked back. I really liked the M, but the C is just awesome. Not a single problem to date. Hope you have the same experience with the Charger. When the dealer made me an offer, which was better than I expected, my counter was to accept if they would include the Mopar performance cat back exhaust (made by Borla). It sounds and looks great.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    As part of a generation that grew up driving smaller FWD vehicles, I have to admit that I am somewhat ignorant of the current RWD cars. I notice that all the Chrysler 300 series are now RWD vehicles.

One of the major concerns that I have with a RWD car is that they generally handle miserably on the snow and ice.

To get to my specific question, how does the Chrysler 300 handle in the snow and ice which happens occasionally here in Chicagoland?
    What's the deal on the Mopar cat back exhaust? Is it made for the Hemi engine? How much louder does it make the car?
    I went by the muffler shop that put duals on my 300M yesterday to see what we could do to the Charger and found that they are out of business. I'd like the Charger to "talk" to me a little more, but I don't want to wake the neighbors if I leave early some morning.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    So why wouldn't you not get All Wheel Drive? Granted it's about $1500 more but up north (I am MN with a 300M) methinks that is worth spending 5% more. I might have thought about it with a 300 if offered 30 months ago when we bought the 300M at closeout but would never go with RWD in the woods up north.

Now why doesn't the Charger come with AWD? I see a very few in MN and personally like the looks of it much more than the 300s, almost as well as the 300M. Oh well, not time to trade for another 5-6 years yet and we'll probably be back to 4 cyl econoboxes by then unless we can keep the gas back at $2.18 like it is today ... yah you betcha.
    There are lots of catback options for the Hemi. The one Mopar sells is made by Borla, and the tips have the Borla name on top. It has a nice growl on acceleration, but not much louder than stock at steady speeds. Borla has two versions, and the Mopar is the more quiet of the two. The louder version has 5" tips, which are a little over the top for me. Other forums have a lot of info on Hemi catback choices and other performance mods. There must be 8-10 different versions (Borla, Magnaflo, Corsa, Zoomers, Flowmaster, etc.)
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Actually, for '07 the Charger now does come in an AWD model--some are already on the lots. At first, they didn't think the clientale buying Chargers would really have much of a desire for AWD, with the RWD layout already terrific in terms of general performance and less expensive to build and maintain, but there apparently was enough interest in it that they changed their minds.

It's basically the same as an AWD Magnum, with the same higher stance and same unique wheels.
    Wow, I missed the AWD Charger, neat. Why not, cannot be that different than the 300M AWD or Magnum.
    Now I do not want to get tempted, as I suspect my next trade in a year will be my college bound son buying out my Grand Cherokee, and I will need another SUV like vehicle for hauling stuff and winter time. But a Charger or Magnum would sure be nice, if only I wouldn't have to work another 5 years to pay for it! Thanks for the info.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks longtime loyal Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep buyers who want the company to build a subcompact model or two. Please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, October 20, 2006 with a few relevant comments and your daytime contact info.
  • jgoodsonjgoodson Member Posts: 30
    If I replace the battery without using a memory saver that plugs into the cigarette lighter plug, will I lose any software updates by the dealer? Or will I just lose the memeory for radio, seats, etc? Is a memory device desirable? and, if so, where can I get one?

Thanks!
    There's no memory loss at all during a battery change. Only the clocks are affected.