Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• surfing19surfing19 Member Posts: 46
    Hey Guys.. I noticed yesterday when I was backing up i heard a wired grinding noise coming from the front. I was backing a tad faster then your normally backup, because I had miss a turn, and I was backing up down a street. Has anyone else noticed or had this problem?
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    RWD, & V8, & Converitable, Can you say EXPENSIVE!! Would rather get a BMW for the price this thig is going to be.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    On the Badyear tires, although you found no problems I doubt that you were running on 17" rims on the vehicles you mentioned. For some reason the Eagle LS and 17" rims just do not work. I also had a lousy set on my 93 Regal GS and even had a piece of gravel push thru one of the grooves and give me a flat tire. A piece of gravel--I couldn't believe it til the repair shop pulled it out an showed it to me. It was shaped like the head of a screw driver. I switched to Goodrich tires shortly thereafter and thought they were better riding and quieter.

Phases78 did you read my earlier message to you about the chroming of the grill. Did you use the same stuff on the lower grill area and how did you do that since the cross-member seem thicker and have wider support struts? How did you handle the cross member under the wings emblem? I ended up with a 1" gap between the two sides. could you post you grill pic again? Sorry about the accident.

300N/Hemi C--Well, if I am still around in 2004/2005, it looks like I will be looking for a used Evoq instead of a new 300. I was hoping they would take the Hemi platform and put a coupe top on it. Don't need a convertible in KY climate. Maybe the Crossfire will get my juices flowing if they bring that car out before the N, but I don't care that much for the XKE hatchback look either.
  • vlisvlis Member Posts: 28
    Received it yesterday and installed it right away in my Sebring LXi sedan. Piece of cake. It fits perfectly and looks gorgeous. Frankly I'm surprised how such a small thing can dress up the interior. Why on earth they discontinued it on the 300M I'll never know.

If you want one, be sure to let TMills3202 know.
  • 300mlover300mlover Member Posts: 132
    My sympathy's! I feel for ya!
  • phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    no sorry i didnt see it, ive been in the field till yesterday, so i jsut skimmed thru the posts....

yeah same stuff on bottom grill, its actually easier to do that the top one. as for hte strip under the wing, i just kept working with it, shaving a bit at a time till i got it where it needed to be...

pics at http://phases78.homestead.com/300m.html

as for the accident. im not happy. im going to nashville today (hopefully today) to meet with a lawyer.

p.s. just got the estimate for the damages. $4,061.05 and thats BEFORE the exhaust work they're gonna have to do since its custom. also, now when u downshift or upshift, theres a sound under the hood, that sounds kinda like the mirrors when they move up and down when in reverse... still drives good though....they're gonna worry about that after all the body work is done. i wont have my car for weeks, once i put in the shop. i cant do that till his insurance company comes down here.....

• tictac3tictac3 Member Posts: 78
    Who was the e-bay seller?
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I don't know who the morons are this time screwing things up at Chrysler, but they need to be fired. When I saw the Hemi Convertible, I was in love with it's gorgeous lines and the Hemi engine. I also thought that when the N sedan was being designed, it would esentially be the convertible, transformed only by a roof, two more doors, and and little more room inside--boy was I wrong!!! Sure, from the drawings the convertible still lokks magnificent but the sedan reminds me of the (GERMAN!!!) Passat and Audi A6--two very ugly cars. Even if they don't change the body much, the could at least graft on the convertible's face and rear end. Despite any of the little problems we have had with our M, the looks are always the one thing that make us love it all over again. With the new sedan, I too want to smack it (or beat it with a hammer for that matter) like sdmike.

What are the email and/or other contacts that we need to use to get this crappy-looking thing obliterated?

phases- My sympathy for you and your M. What was to moron who creamed you driving? Here in Delaware, we're always on the look-out for idiots who like to run red lights and then crash--an even that happens about 2 or 3 times EVERY weekend. But then again, what can you expect from people in the chicken state? Good luck, and I hope your car gets repaired promptly.
  • sugar300msugar300m Member Posts: 61
    phases78 - that sucks & i'm sorry to hear it man & glad you're ok. & i was upset about two door dings some @#$ did in wifes parking lot @ work. Good luck w/ the repairs & other action...If its not too painful, take pictures before & after.

herrmdogg - good luck w/ your ride also. this ain't good, two of the best M's on the block are down. :(
  • traleytraley Member Posts: 64
    Scotian, did you ever get your suspension checked out from when it was making that noise?
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I also like the idea of having a club logo cap, however, I think that we should consider offering them in some lighter color than black. I live in Texas and I know from experience that in our weather a black cap will fry your brain!
    Also, I'm going to need to replace my Goodyears fairly soon (I have had no problems with them, so I don't feel the need to use the Badyear name). I had to have a leaking tire fixed this week and while I was there I did some preliminary tire shopping. Based on that, I'm considering trying Kumho tires. I can get a set of 245/40-17's for about $107 each and they look like a very good high performance tire. The tread resembles a Formula 1 rain tire. My local Discout Tire store guy tells me that they are getting very good reports back from purchasers and have had no complaints or problems with them. They are rated a high performance tire and will probably wear pretty fast, but, at that price, who cares, as long as they provide good handling in wet and dry conditions. If I decide to try them, I'll post a report after I've tried them out for a while.

Lynn
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    sorry to hear about you M. Make sure you take it to an great shop to have it repaired properly. I hope you are driving it around soon.
    I hope they get rid of the head lights and go back to the side by side style. It looks like a streached out TT. May have to try to fit the engine in my M.
    so it looks like I can at least finish that project. Now if the LED's, emblems, and other stuff will only get here. Stephen finally recieved my check talk about snail mail (8 buiness days) is crazy. Should have it by next weekend. Will keep you posted.
  • tnsc_300mtnsc_300m Member Posts: 76
    OH MAN, I'm so SORRY to read about the accident. Man that SUCKS!!!!
    I hope the bonehead that rear ended you is insured. $4K+ ouch. Man, find the best shop around to take care of your baby.
    Keep us updated. Make HIS/HERS insurance pay for a 300M PHP rental, that will ease the pain some.
    Good Luck getting this resolved.
    Later, tnsc_300M
    for you support.. i have taken almost a whole roll of pictures so far, and ill take more.. im having the dealer fix it all, and they're gonna work with the guys that did my exhaust to get it all fixed up.... they said it'll take a couple weeks though.... :(
  • 300mlover300mlover Member Posts: 132
    I bought it from Ebayer insaneaudio
    I received it via UPS 4 days after making payment!
  • tnsc_300mtnsc_300m Member Posts: 76
    Hey folks remember this Sterenbergher guy has been doing these drawings for the factories a long time and what you see on papaer er, pixels is not always what you get.

I'm in agreement on the 300n in the drawing.
    -grill too big,
    -stacked headlights no thank you,
    -rear deck where did the gorgeous [non-permissible content removed] of the M go??? That short square deck was her best feature. now no [non-permissible content removed] to speak of (in pic). looks like a frigging chevy citation, rememeber those YUUCCHHH!!!

DC guys if you're reading this, and you should be if you want to know about the folks who buy your cars and refer more to buy em. See the gorgeous 300C Hemi convertible, OK now put the exisiting roofline on it, make it 4 doors, call it a sedan and viola!! give sedan high HP 300M special motor and Hemi Option and you get, Happy customers.
  • vlisvlis Member Posts: 28
    My sincerest sympathies for you and your M. You seem to be taking it well---I'd still be crying!
    i am crying.

(inside.)
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    tnsc_300m is right--it does look like a Chevy Citation---aaagh!

pahses--What did you mean by taking a lighter to the chrome material--just heating it with a flame like you would a needle before breaking a blister? Do you do it before or after installation and for how long. I have found the glue on the chrome is not holding real well,so maybe some of the notches I cut aren't exactly right, so I may have to shoe goo the ends in place of re-do the cuts. I think I have enought to do the bottom 3 horizontal members, so I'll do that first and see what is left. Can't believe that part was easier tho.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    phases...

Sorry about your accident! I know how I would feel...I've had my 2000 for a year (July 4) and I park away from everything -- no dings, scuffs -- only a few small road chips on the front portions of the car. After all that care, I would be devastated if I got hit!

new 300's...

I agree with the comments here on the N -- it is rather bizarre looking. The front end loses the trademark appeal of the 300M...it just doesn't seem like a natural progression of the 300.

The Hemi Convertible of course is gorgeous but I think the price tag is going to put it out of my reach.

The silver lining to all this -- keep our M's as they are destined to become classics! After all, many of us are members of the 300"M" Enthusiasts' Club...
    lighter after u cut, to where u cut. theres a very thin clear celofane like coat on it, if you dont melt it to the chrome water will get up under. just do it lightly, its all you need, you wont even notice..

no, it doesnt stick well, i used some nameless superglue like adheasive. works well

-----------------------------------------------

i cant even find his insurance co. i think i did, but they said he's not listed, so its most likely listed under the company he's driving for. i wasnt intellegent to get its name.. so i cant even file a claim yet... and i've tried his home phone all day long, nothing. did i just get burned???
  • rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    Ouch Man - that really sucks. Hopefully all the damage is superficial. Don't settle for less than absolute perfection on the repairs. This isn't just your car, this is your M!!
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Did insaneaudio ship any wiring harnesses, or raw materials (wire, connectors, tie wraps)?
    Good luck with the install.
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    blew one away today, there nothing man. i thouht they were all that. old guy in a wife beater, killed it. funy part was we were both going to dealer. i was gonna talk to him about how he likse the car, i got the cold shoulder. lol
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Careful with that size. the 245/40-17 tires have a signficantly smaller diameter than the stock tires. Your speedo reading will be about 7.5% too fast with those tires. Here is a nice tool:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

• scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Monday the dealer said I could bring it in a week later, so I had their "front end guy" take a test drive. He heard the loud thumping over bumps, and a bit of the high & dry squeaking. Of course, today the thumping is all but gone; I'm glad I had the guy test drive it. We'll see what happens. I know these noises will return in a big way!
    I feel your pain, man. Remember, if it can be built, it can be re-built. You'll fall in love all over again when it's done. I'll echo what Roger said, don't accept it unless its perfect.

-M
    Will 255's fit on our 7" chrome rims? If so, a 255/45-17 would look sweet on there

-M
  • sibesibe Member Posts: 102
    After seeing the pics, got no use for a convertible, the sedan looks amorphous so the choice is between an early 60 Stingray (a dream ever since that series Route 66) a Roadrunner (which it doesn't look like DC will ever ressucitate) or a Charger. It's a no brainer...the dream will wait, I'll take the Charger please AS LONG AS IT COMES WITH A MANUAL TRANNY.

Sibe
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    sorry about the accident--Ive had my share --if you have a good shop, you wont be able to tell it was ever in an accident after the repair---when you are sure this guy has insurance, go out and rent a nice replacement vehicle--his company will have to cover it---dont rent a low budget car either--you are entitled to an equivalent vehicle---
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    A few months ago someone on this board was hit within days after buying his new M. In addition to getting it fixed, he obtained a cash payment from the other driver's insurance company for the decreased value of his new car. The theory is that even though repairs have been made, your car's value as repaired will be less than if it had never been hit. I can't recall for sure, but I think that his cash payment was in the range of $2K to $4K. You could try plowing back through the old messages on this board, or maybe someone else can provide more info.
    yes, thats what im going for. but im going for more than that. we'll see what my laywer says when he calls me monday..
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    phases78-

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're okay though. Better the car got hurt then you. With your contacts and resources, I'm sure that M will be just like new again when you get finished with it.

Hope you called the police to the scene.

fastdriver
    there was a policeman there to witness it...

im sure it will be okay, but im seeking more than just the cost of fixing my car, im also going to seek the difference in what my car was worth yesterday, as opposed to what it will be worth after the fix. From what i understand, it'll be difficult, but feasable.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Hey I think the 300N's front end looks very similar to the Crossfire concept.

Someone stated that they liked the Crossfire but hated the 300N. How's that possible?
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Does xenonempire@aol.com have a website? They haven't replied to me yet about bulbs, and a search at www.aol.com of xenonempire came up empty.
  • sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    OK, am I the only one that can't get logged into the members section? Good luck getting an email response from anybody! I am member #119 if anybody knows anything!
    go to www.midnightmoose.com I gave them my xenon business since I thought their website was very well organized and they seemed to know about 300M's (rare).
    i can get in
    As can I. Sirharper, they changed the password a couple of days ago. Check your email.
    My basslink arrived today. Yay! Probably will get it installed on Monday.
    They never told me! I know they have the right email address too. Well maybe one the the folks in charge will see this and decide to actually respond to me.
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    I just emailed the new password to the email address shown for you in the member directory. Sorry if you were somehow not included in the notification email that was sent to all members recently.
  • timbotimbotimbotimbo Member Posts: 15
    Went to my Chrysler dealer tonight and received the following quote:

Loaded 2001 300M

LIst 33395

rebate 2500
    dealer discount 2500

Final cost 28395

This would be the first new car I ever bought so I have no idea what kind of deal this is. I would appreciate any input from you previous buyers.

Thanks,
    Tim
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    go to http://www.carsdirect.com and price a 300M with the options that you want. Then show it to the dealer. When I go to that site, it usually shows something in the neighborhood of $27K
    2002's are coming out in about 2 months or less, no way would you get that sales figure on the 2002 this year. Looks like a decent deal. My 2000 M was stickered at 31995 last year and got it down to 26590 so it looks like a comparable deal.
    They started at list of $1100 for the top tier service contract (5 year/75000 mile) they told of some B.S. "managers special" and rapidly cut in in half to $550. Still not amused I told em $400 they said no but then 2 days later called back and changed their minds as long as I agreed to pay for it separately (they didn't want to redo the financing).