Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I drove from Manchester NH to Lebanon NH (I93 and I89 for 90 miles) and back again with no Ms. Then I went from Manchester to Boston (I93) in a shuttle bus, and then to/from Logan in a cab...no Ms. They must have been hiding. :)
  • Options
    after sitting at the airport for 4 days Big Red is now Big Brownish Red
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    I've had a few bad return flights from Logan in my DEC days. If you have driven in Boston--If you know about Boston cabbies--then you would hide your M, too. I will always remember the urban terrorists surrounding me as the five lanes approaching the tunnel leaving Logan narrow down to two (or one)lanes and NOBODY is making eye contact! My rental has been scraped and tapped more than once.

Silver
  • Options
    I guess I can take solice in the fact that my cab rides were at 10pm Friday and 5:30 am Saturday. Not much traffic so no bumping, but surely a driving event that I don't want to repeat too many times. I also found it strange that there was still a work crew out at 10 jackhammering the roads. Oh, on the van I took from manchester to boston the driver decided to try to miss a lot of the I93 city traffic by getting off early and driving east on the north side of the bay to slip into the back side of the airport. Now THAT part of town was an adventure!
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    I've taken my M in to the dealer at 7,500 and 15,000 miles and let them change the oil and rotate the tires. In between those intervals I change the oil using Castrol oil.
  • Options
    ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Those urban terrorists up in Boston give us Mass Drivers a bad rep... I think thats why some people decided to refer to us as Massholes... :(

I stay away from Boston & Logan at all costs, too much of a hassle... and I love my M too much to subject it to that kind of environment... :)
  • Options
    ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Does anyone have the link to the sign up page for the Wall event ? Im not sure what I put for the # of guests and wanted to double check it...

Who else is going ? Come on you East Coast guys !
  • Options
    intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Now that you're back in good old sunny Southern Cakifornia, you may have noticed (or not!) that a L.A. dealer has $6500 off all remaining M's (including rebate)...
  • Options
    memphis300mmemphis300m Member Posts: 8
    Used only Mobil 1 since the first 1000 mile change. Now change oil and filter at 3200 mile increments which is about 6 months with our driving. Of interest, the new vettes use Mobil 1 with a 15,000/1 year change schedule.
    Memphis 300m
  • Options
    the filter is more important than the oil, IMO. The reason many of us are using the Mobil 1 filter isn't because it "matches" the oil, but because it's a highly rated synthetic film filter. Check out the oil filter study at http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html ... and stay away from FRAM
  • Options
    No, I haven't seen that. However, I'm in San Diego and not LA. Those 100 miles might as well be the atlantic ocean for how different the two cities and cultures are. Sounds like a HECK of a deal though. I believe it's under dealer cost.
  • Options
    techsantechsan Member Posts: 6
    I am picking up my K&N air filter in the morning and plan on installing it after work. I had read on another board that for everything to work properly you should unhook your battery and reset the computer in order for the computer to recognize that there is new air flow (?). What's the deal? Can I just drop the K&N in there and drive on or do I have to mess with the battery etc? Thanks for the help!

Todd M.
    Tulsa, OK
  • Options
    spyboyspyboy Member Posts: 22
    Hey Mike,
    I BOUGHT my '01 in Manchester, NH! Dealer had
    6-7 to select. All different ones (except the inferno red package I
    wouldv'e bought - but... a significantly better deal then in New York!)
    I have quite a few accounts in NE, I'm up there all the time and see
    LOTS of M's. Yeah, driving down south on I93 is treacherous but
    wait till you go 128 North OR South during rush hour! Hooweeeeeeee!
    That's a state-sponsored demolition derby track!

On the oil issue: I was raised in my Dad's service station changing
    tires and servicing all types of cars. I bleed 10W-30 when cut (along
    with Jet green ;-)

Wanna simple rule for engine longevity? EVERY 3K w/filter!
  • Options
    I have installed a K&N, Bosch plugs and dual exhaust without resetting the computer. Everything works fine. I might not be getting the gas mileage I should, and maybe resetting will help (comments anyone?), but don't worry about the car not running great if you don't reset it.

-M
  • Options
    phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    is only a big deal with duals, and even then it doesnt hurt not to do it. but it surely doesnt hurt to do it either
  • Options
    Mobil 1 says every 10,000 miles and the M user manual says 5,000 or 7,500 I think. So, given the various guidelines I thought I'd go with the middle one. lol
  • Options
    With the mods that I have done you'd suggest disconnecting?
  • Options
    yeah, i would. you'd be suprised (how suprised? depends on how your dual setup is). some people would say to disconnect it over night, but really a couple hours will do. thats all i did.

well guys i suppose i could update my web page today. its not updated with the tint, removed trunk and door logos, or basslink. i wonder.. should i get off my lazy butt and wash the car and grab my digcam??......
  • Options
    Get up and clean that car! I have to do the same. I have 4 days of airport parking lot dirt on it.

So, how do I disconnect the battery? Both connectors? One? which? Where the heck is it? lol
  • Options
    j3studioj3studio Member Posts: 27
    Folks,

Need some advice here...my long-suffering significant other has told me that I can replace the original 'minivan' 16-inch wheels on my 1999 300M PHP. I'd like to replace them with P225/55R17#95V BSW Michelins and the 17-inch Aluminum-Sparkle Silver wheels that are standard with the 2001 PHP. Will this work? Is this stupid? Anybody have any better suggestions in this vein?

Thanks for your advice,

John Mulhern III
  • Options
    that will work great.
  • Options
    john, do it, it'll be great!

sdmike, just disconnect one of the wires off the jump connections. i used the one thats closest too you (when the hoods popped, and your in front of the car). just disconnect one and move it to the side, lean it against something (perferably not metal) wait a couple hours, put it back. real easy.

im gonna jump into my ride and run it down the the touchless car wash place, its a dark cloudy day and im waiting for the rain any minute now, so im going for the quick fix. take a couple pics, and i'll let you guys know when the page is done, should'nt be too long....
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    I have read several posts over the last few months in regards to the interior trim of our M's and some were critical. I never had a problem with mine until yesterday. I decided to wash and clean inside and out and probably spent a little over 2 hrs with washing and chamoising. I was cleaning the inside of my rear window and was attempting to get into the corner of the window when I came against the plastic piece that comes down from the roof and it started rattling. I first thought that it had slipped out of it's bracket or clip, I then checked the other side and it did the same. It appears that this trim piece is just held in place by the rear window deck. I am not very happy and my dealer will hear about it when I get my first service done next week. If any of you hear a rattling coming from this rear area, I think you should know what it might be.I'm not sure at what level this piece was put in but I believe that a small amount of adhesive would eliminate this problem. Just my .02.
  • Options
    sometimes trim pieces are secured by little push snaps. Did you give it a forceful push? I haven't gone out to see what mine looks like yet. My little rattle problem is the overhead computer console. If I tap on the front of it (facing the hood of the car) where the screw goes in it rattles pretty good. I assumed it was the screw, but I was disappointed when I found it tight. My guess now is that something inside is beating on the plastic housing. I'll have to go take it apart.

-M
  • Options
    got my page updated now (tint, removed trunk/door logos, basslink, tinted lisense plate cover) check it out and tell me what you think! be sure to check all three pages, they've all been updated :)

http://phases78.homestead.com/300m.html

phases

• Options
    I hardly touched it when it started rattling. I don't believe mine has any clips on it. I have had the overhead console out of my car and it is a snap, I watched my dealer do it. I had my console replaced by Prince Johnson Controls the maker of the home link as I had a range problem They sent me a new modified console, but it did not help the range. Is it posible that the wiring harness is loose and causing the rattle?
  • Options
    That's what I'm thinking. I'm hoping it's just a wiring harness or something. Is there anything more to removal beyond removing that screw?
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Not a problem at all. That's what I did! My 00 PHP had the 16's. I swaped to the 17's with Michelins, Now I have 18's on. Only regret is I didn't switch to the 18's the first time. For the price & a few $100 more I could have got the 18's the first time.
  • Options
    Dude, how long are you going to need tires??
  • Options
    I finally got around to doing this. I guess due to the HOT FL sun, I didn't even need a hairdryer. Looks smoother now with out the lettering. I took it off the sides, & the trunk. I'll leave the 300M logo on though. You huys were right, it left no paint difference, & the lettering came off in pieces. I mean LOTS of little pieces. Looks good :)
  • Options
    It only took the guy about 2-3 mins to take it out and snap in the new one, so I don't think it is a major job.
  • Options
    jedi_knightjedi_knight Member Posts: 89
    Got the new KMC tramps and pilot sports put on yesterday. Sure some will not like these wheels but thats ok, I drive it. image
  • Options
    Also finally fixed this too(busy this weekend :)
    Turned out to be the windshield after all. Not the whole thing just on the drivers side. The sealent pushed it's way out of the channel a little under the cowl. Water was seeping in through there only where it was high pressure(like HEAVY FL rain) I had the glass company who replaced the windshield fix it. Now it doesn't leak YEAH :)
  • Options
    I like! Nice.
  • Options
    Yay! Now you just need to get that 'wet dog' smell out of your M. lol!
  • Options
    got pics?
  • Options
    travmntravmn Member Posts: 30
    turns out that guy still has some of those chrome shifters. thanks for the help!
  • Options
    tucsongiltucsongil Member Posts: 116
    Hello Gang!!!!!

I flew out to Disneyland over the last few days with the family and friends and just returned. "California Adventure" theme park was was to my liking! I love rollercoasters and the California Screeming coaster that I rode three time was great!

I stayed at the new Crown Plaza Resort. There I saw two 2001 300M's in the parking lot with California plates. One was Deep Garnett and the other was White. I do not if they were rentals or not.

It is good to be back home and get upto date with all these posts!
  • Options
    OK, I live in the city, haven't seen a preying mantis in a long time. This is what greeted me yesterday morning when I walked out. This sucker was huge! image

phases78 you can see more pics of the new wheels here

• Options
    guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    i like, are those 18's how did the ride and handling change?
  • Options
    Yes they are 18's, the ride is a little more firm but oh in the corners she is soo sweet! A bit more road noise now too, oh well thats the price for performance I guess.
  • Options
    man, those rims are awesome! (im gonna get some soon, ive been looking around for a few months now, just kinda, shopping)
  • Options
    I have just replaced my Badyears with the Michelin Pilot XGT Z4's in 225/17/55 and I love them and you will too! Great grip and strong sidewall that helps to lead to very little body roll!

I got them at Discount Tire for $180 each for two and two others pro-rated because of two defective Goodyears LS.

Discount Tire put 38lbs psi in them. I think I will drop them down to 36lbs psi because the ride is a little rougher now. LMK what tire pressure you get in yours.

BTW, if I remember right the Pilot XGT Z4 had a higher tread ware rateing than the Pilot MXM V. Tirerack's website had it a 300(XGT) to 240(MXM).
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Nice wheels! I like 'em.
  • Options
    I have just replaced my Badyears with the Michelin Pilot XGT Z4's in 225/17/55 and I love them and you will too! Great grip and strong sidewall that helps to lead to very little body roll!

I got them at Discount Tire for $180 each for two and two others pro-rated because of two defective Goodyears LS.

Discount Tire put 38lbs psi in them. I think I will drop them down to 36lbs psi because the ride is a little rougher now. LMK what tire pressure you get in yours.

BTW, if I remember right the Pilot XGT Z4 had a higher tread ware rateing than the Pilot MXM V. Tirerack's website had it a 300(XGT) to 240(MXM).
  • Options
    Nice wheels! It looks classy!

BTW, all you have to please is yourself!

These are the wheels I put on:

Zen Racing "Race"

Others that looking for wheels go to the www.superbuytires.com website. Great site! I love the new Zenetti "Mystic" wheels! I love rivets on wheels!

• Options
    I never did disconected my battery after I did the duals. Maybe I should!
  • Options
    kupper25kupper25 Member Posts: 30
    Phases,I noticed on your website that you have a backup alarm listed as one of the mods you still want to do. Haven't heard much about this mod on this board, although rear visibility on the M could make it a good thing to have.

I have an interest in this for my 2001 M (tight driveway), and I did a little research on the web. Mostly what I found were the units that mount around the rear license plate frame. The good news is that these look like a fairly simple mod. On the other hand, I am concerned that they will have a narrow "field of view" and won't "see" the corners of the rear bumpers.

I would be interested to hear what work you have done on this or any experience that you or anyone else on this board has with this mod.
  • Options
    got a pic with em on the car????