Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• lcherrinlcherrin Member Posts: 2
    I seem to be leaking fluid on my 2000 at about 28,000 miles. Anybody else had this problem?
  • mrv2mrv2 Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 was leaking tranny fluid two weeks ago with about 24,000 miles. Dealer said a rock probably hit the trans cooler line - but they covered it under warrantee anyway. Are you sure yours is power steering fluid?
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    A few years ago some had this problem. The transmission fluid was being forced out the fill tube. Do you see where it is comming from?
  • sel714sel714 Member Posts: 35
    I am having trouble with the feature that lets you go to a Post by the number. I wanted to go back to post #7879. It was the picture of the speedometer going about 140. I wanted to print it.
    Any one else having trouble with it.
    Thanks
    sel714
    I agree about Chrysler wanting to make the owners of Prowlers feel special by suggestion premium gas. I plan to keep using 87 octane. I wonder if they have the computer set up for a different fuel and air mixture on the Prowler than on the 300M it seems that the horsepower and torque figures would be different. They are exactly the same. This just seems strange to me. It makes me wonder if I get a 300 special if I could run 87 octane like I do now. Or I wonder if Prowler owners could just run 87 octane and save some money. Just something to think about. Also where do you think the shift points are different in the Prowler. Do you think it lets you rev to a higher RPM like 6850? 7000? How high do you think you red line could be if the computer didn't make it up shift at 6450?
    sel714
  • jgoodsonjgoodson Member Posts: 30
    I'm still discovering the gadgets on my 300M and am puzzled by one I discovered today. The lights on the bass/treble slide bars light up when the headlights are on as they should and don't when the headlights are off as they should. I was sitting in the car today waiting on my wife and listening to the radio with the key in the "accessory" position. I happened to notice that the bass/treble lights flicked on and my first thought was the flashing dashboard light problem. Then I noticed that the lights would cycle on and off - on about 15 seconds - off about 40 seconds. I satisfied myself that this was a regular cycle, and therefore was supposed to do that, but my question is why?
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    The problem is that the system doesn't display the ACTUAL message numbers, which counts all of the messages posted, but rather the VISIBLE messages. The difference is the number of messages that have been deleted. If you hold your cursor over the "8505" of your message and look at the link path..usually displayed at the bottom of your browser window...you'll see that what looks like 8505 is really message 8935. A serious pain.
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    each message posted here has an "absolute" number, and a relative number. The relative number changes as other messages are deleted by the poster or by Edmunds, so there is never a gap in numbers. To see the absolute number of a post, hold your mouse cursor over the blue relative number of a post, and then look at the bottom status line of your browser to see the absolute number. For example, your post with relative # 8505 has an absolute number of 8935. The "Go To" feature searches for absolute numbers, not relative numbers. The pic is at absolute # 8294. If you want to print it, I could send you a high-res version . . . .
    Do you like the G-Tech? I saw where they are about $140. Do you think they are worth it? Would you recommend it? I have been thinking about purchasing one. Also can you tell me more about the ABS intake? How much did it help your performance? How much did it cost? How hard is it to install? Wher can you purchase one? My performance upgrades consist of a K&N filter charger, Borla exhaust, and Michelin Pilot XGTZ4s
    sel714
    Thanks for the info. I am not to computer savvy.
    Yes I would like the high resolution version.
    sel714
  • als2als2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I live in Tucson,AZ.
    Thanks for the info.
    sel714
    jgoodson -
    My '01 M with the upgraded infinity system (and basslink) doesn't do what you describe. When I turn my key forward to the accessory position, all of my radio, climate control and overhead computer lights go on. My odometer also illuminates. My bass/mid/treble control lights stay on and don't cycle off.
    This will print an 8x10 at 120 dpi, which is not optimum resolution but should be halfway decent. It's about 200k: http://btjdesign.com/300m/speedo_big.jpg
    Another relatively simple and inexpensive upgrade is to replace your stock plugs with Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. The part number is #4428. They're about $6 each. If you strip those little torx bolts that hold the plug covers on you can get them from your dealer for $.35 each...part number #6505121-AA
    You pushed your M to 140mph with only 18 miles on the odo? Yikes! How the HELL did you take the picture. I'd be holding on for dear life! :)
    The odometer is actually at 18874. I don't know why the last three digits aren't as bright. Same for the autostick numbers in the tach (you can see that the car is in fourth, but those numbers aren't as bright as PRND). Must be some quirk of the angle of the LCD's to the camera lens. I had done some low speed tests to get the camera set up, had it sitting in my lap, and then held it up for as little time as possible to snap a shot. Had to try three times or so before I got one that worked (kinda hard to hold it steady!). And I still think it only looks like 132 or 133.
    You couldn't see the last three digits because you were nearing the speed of light. lol
    I am not sure what happened. I printed the picture but it is to big I only got the tack and about a 1/2 of the speedometer and it took up the whole sheet of paper.
    sel714
    Do the Bosch plugs really make a noticeable difference. I thought the M came with Platinum plugs. My nephew put a set of those in his neon and it caused some kid of problem. I can't remember what he told me. That was over a year ago .But he had to take it to the dealer and they said he should not have used them. The next time I see him I will ask him about it again.
    sel714
    You should right click on the photo and save it to your computer, then open it up in a graphics program if you have one, and then print it. I just opened it in Windows Paint, and somehow that program makes the pic be 12.5" wide, so if you used Paint, that could be the problem. Got another graphics application? Or if you're using Paint, try clicking on "Image" then "Attributes" then change the size to 10" wide by 8" high. Be sure to print in landscape mode. If you still can't get it, send me an email (click on my name for my email address)
    There are a couple of ways to go:
    The least expensive is to go to Home Depot (or any other Hardware store) and pick up some ABS (black) 3" pipe you will need some stright (unfortunly it come in like 8' lenghts) and you will need two 45deg. angle pipes, two rubber connector fittings. Starting from the Throttle body and working toward the air box, you can use the stock bend, that is currently used to connect the Pleumn to the Throttle body(you will need a hose clamp though). connect a piece of stright tube to it then connect a 45deg. bend on the other side (you will have to cut a piece from the 8' piece to do this. Then connect the other 45deg. bend to the first one (this will give you a double rotating joint and you will then be able to angle it for a stright shot to the air box. You may have to cut part of the 45deg. bend off. Next connect a rubber fitting to join the 45deg. bend to another piece of stright pipe that will go to the air box. Now use the second rubber fitting to connect it to the air box. Don't forget to make a hole in the tube for the smog pipe connection. The cost will be about less then $25.
    Steven Lister, on the Intrepid R/T may still boar out your TB and sent you a premade pipe (double insulated) for $140.
    Someone was talking about mass producing them for the club. I think it was Avalanche. No price was given.
    Now for the G-tech question. One it is a lot of money I believe they go for around $140 dollars (unless you buy some BF Goodrich tires) I have used mine a lot (working with my intake and tires and such) so I has been handy. I was lucky and only paid $80 from a friend, so it was not too bad. Not sure I would buy one for the regular price though. It really depends on how much you would use it. I like the idea of hard numbers and not "seat of the pants" to see if something really works.
    As for results, Living in Hell (AKA Phoenix) it was good for about .17 (ave. 6 runs) off the 0-60 times. That is off the standard intake system. If you are using a K&N type filter then it will be less. Alt, and temp. will play a large part.

Sorry for the long post. I can post some pictures if you have any more questions.
    I will try to set up a time next week to reprogram my ECM by Travis. I have him checking into what else can be done at the same time. I will let you know. This holiday week I have seen more police per a mile then I ever have. 8 on a ten mile streach of road. I hope it dies down by the end of next week.
    I noticed a small increase in performance when I put the bosch plugs in, according to my "seat-of-the-pants dyno". I think there are at least a half dozen posters here that installed the plugs and nobody complained of any problems...except a couple stripped the torx screws. I think all reported performance gains. I had my 5* do the work for me. About $70 for the labor. If there was an issue with the plugs they probably wouldn't have been willing to put them in.
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    drpixel! Well, if you haven't already heard; the East Coast Wall Stadium Speedway Rendezvous 2001 was a tremendous success! We had a total of eight 300m's and one LHS (Tom S.) join us in the Neptune, New Jesey parking lot of HomeDepot!
    The weather was absolutely mahvelous, and the day--well it was perfect thanks to George and Jackie Deane, Event Coordinator Extrordinaire! Stay tuned for terrabytes of images courtesy of Robert Powell and many others who were busily snapping away. To all the people who made it to the Event, it was a real pleasure makin' your acqaintances that day and finally getting a face to connect with the email and names! Turns out eMily was the ONLY 300m there with a stripe on the side--most unsual I was told! Now,
    Technical problem--(I know, I'm shocked, too!....)
    Upon returning home the other night, I turned my wheel slightly to the right and shut down eMily's engine. When I got out of the car, I was treated to a light show which included the interior lights, headlights and horn flashing on and off, horn a-beeping, etc.!
    Was I shocked--you ask?......you betcha!
    I got back in, started eMily back up and straightened the whell out--shut down and exited--end of light show!
    Can someone tell me WHAT was that all about?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Doc
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I'm shocked your dealer put them in. Mine wouldn't! In fact if it is not stock for the car, they will not work on it. After I got the bored out TB, The dealer would not put it on. Even if I paid them. Dealers down here are like that.
    Maybe you hit the panic button. When I had the stock alarm enabled I sometimes hit it.
    Just some FYI info on the remote start Viper 550ESP alarm system. For anyone who is/was/maybe thinking about adding one. I have had mine on the 300M since April. Seen the whole summer, 3000 mile road trips, Heat, monsoon rain storms, thunder, etc. And I have not had 1 problem with it. No electrial problems, no problems of any kind. So at least with the Viper 550ESP, it works great, & proves how far these remote start systems have come.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Maybe you accidently set off the alarm (or panic)?

I'm waiting for DC roadside assistance to tow my M (currently in tranny "limp mode") to my nearest 5*. About 7 miles away. I know I could probably drive it, but the SA at the dealer suggested the tow. DC customer assistance has automatically called me twice to check on status of tow truck, which is now late. I'm actually on hold with customer assistance, waiting for a human instead of the autodial machine.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think part of my ranting is due to the Red Sox and anticipating another lousy, no offense Patriot season. Although, the Pats are tied for first and haven't given up a single point yet!
    Still on hold. I wonder if this is a bad sign, being oh hold so long for emergency customer assistance?
    Still on hold, maybe I should just drive it in...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

...should be any minute now...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Thanks for the info, But I think I will just keep my K&N. I may have to have one of those G-Techs.
    What is your fastest 0 to 60 time. And did you do a 0 to 60 when the 300 was stock.
    sel714
    I think I will see if Chrysler will install some Bosch plugs for me. I think they will since they installed my Borla.
    sel714
    Thanks for the info. I will try that when I get home from work.
    sel714
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I believe the elements that make up the speedometer digits flicker on and off at a certain frequency, as opposed to the steady glow of a filament bulb. During the short time the camera was recording an image, only some of the elements were fully on. Take video of a digital clock at night, and you might not be able to tell what time it is.
  • grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    I would agree with denverm on his guess for the speed. 135 tops. Also, I would be surprised if you could get the M to max rpms in 4th. Quite often, a car's top speed is in the 2nd highest gear.

Igor
    third gear, huh? I'll have to try that next time.
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Did you have baffles and a 2" restrictor inside your secondary air intake resonator? I examined mine and found it to be smooth and without restrictor:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1280646&a=9790406&p=50534646&f=0

Since it is smooth, I am wondering if I would gain much from replacing the air tubes like you did.

You are apparently still using the original air box and filter. I plan to modify an air box, or at least its cover, to attach a cone-inside-a-cone air filter:

http://intenseperformance.com/products/cone_filters/cone_filters.html

Currently the 5" filter is on a 3 week backorder. K&N has something similar:

http://www.firstfives.org/kn.html

This is the only place that seems to have these, but according to them, these particular filters are all foam mesh; I want cotton:

http://www.mechasports.com/msr_catalog/cat_engine_components/intake%20_files/maxspeed_cin02.html

http://www.mechasports.com/msr_catalog/cat_engine_components/intake%20_files/maxspeed_cin03.html

K&N has an open top filter that they admit to on their web site, but it's not an inner cone style:

http://www.knfilters.com/X-stream.htm

Anyway, I've found that the large (female) end of a 4-segment metal 90 degree vent pipe will just fit into the airbox tube. If I use only the last or last two segments (slid in from the inside after trimming a few ribs in the cover), I have something to clamp something else to, but it probably couldn't be directly to a cone filter because the angle is sure to be off.

For the intermediate piece I bought a flexible 3" dia. aluminum heater vent (-100 to 450 degree F). Assuming it can withstand the pressure left over after the cone filter gives air to the engine, it should do the job just fine. I might use a piece of metal to act as a support at the top that is clamped down on either end of the flexible vent.

When done, the cone end should be pointing right at the existing air hole.

All I need now is to find a sealant that can withstand the temperatures inside the airbox to seal off everything. Any suggestions? Does anyone know how hot it can get inside there?

I want to use the air box for cool air, of course. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that I can route a secondary tube to get more outside air, unless I cut another hole in the inner fender next to the existing hole, or cut a hole in my hood.

• mboomgarden1mboomgarden1 Member Posts: 49
    Yesterday, a couple of hours after washing my M at a self-serve car wash, I noticed that my outdoor temperature reading was stuck at 68 degrees, despite the fact that it was in the mid- to upper-80s. It stayed there for about 45 minutes, then zipped up to 87. I presume that it did this because the sensor got soaked during the wash. Has anyone else had this problem? If it recurs, is there a fix?

Thanks.
  • grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    When you've gone past 120, did you always do it in autostick? The first two times I tried, I left it in D; it dropped me into 3rd both times, but the family was with me and I never went past about 125.

The fastest I went, I was in autostick with it floored. At 120 I started counting "1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi" up to 10 Mississippi. Hard to say how fast -- 135 or so. But I feel I could have kept accelerating. I just ran out of huevos. Things happen VERY fast at those speeds.

I say "often" max speed is not the highest gear, but that experience is based on 5-speed manuals and don't know how it will translate to our 4-speed autos. I look forward to your results.

Igor
    Igor...120+ with family in the car? Wow! My wife would be writing out her will and divorce papers in the rear seat if I did that. lol! The fastest I've gone is about 120 in a limited access car pool lane in I-15 north of San Diego. I did that with my insane speed junkie neighbor.
    No surprise, my tranny issue was the speed sensor. I rented a Neon for the day while they worked on my M. If anyone thinks their M is loud, drive a Neon. Much engine, road, wind noise. But, pretty peppy and roomy. Disturbingly, very similar radio to the M (sans CD Player). I pick up my M tomorrow and continue the countdown to the end of the warranty...
    I dislike the stock market...

I don't remember well about the RPM's at 151mph I did.( too concerned with the road:) I know the car didn't want to go any faster. They were below redline, but I don't know how much. I have also done 120+ a few times here & there, & have been around 4500 RPM, in 3rd, droping to about 4000 in 4th.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Just was delivered my Motorsport Direct catalog, and found you too can have a Hemi Convertable. Well it's only 1:16 scale and radio controlled, but its under $40.00. #NK-81618-S www.motorsportdirect.com Has anybody else who installed the Bosch platinum + 4's run into any problems? sdmike has none.
    Ok, I'm very upset at how the cruise works on the M. WHY does it stop at 87mph? Otto?? Can it be changed? I was driving last night very late, like 2am, & was following 2 other cars we were doing about 95mph. I could tell there cruise was set to that by how even distance apart they were. Me, my great M, & my tired leg had to stay on the gas & keep up for 60 miles. Does the 2001 stop at 87 too? Even my mom's 1985 Honda will let me set it at 90!
    I had none! But others have stripped the torx screws getting the coil off. I was lucky I guess.
    grunschev - no, the first time I did some high speed runs, I left it in D, and I'd say I got up to about 135 that time (needle pointing between the last two odometer digits). This time I wanted to be in autostick so the gear would be apparent in the photo. Neither time was I able to keep the pedal to the floor long enough to get all the speed out of the car, so I still don't know just how fast it will go.

fuzzy - was your car in D, 3rd, or 4th when you hit 151?

sdmike - my wife was with me the first time and stayed remarkably calm; she was impressed with the car's stability.
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Toay, 2 new Intrepids showed up at my office. Both guys picked them up today. Question: one was a Dodge, the other was a Chrysler. Both were '02s. Both declined to race!!!!! Whats up with the 2 exact cars by different factories?geezer0m
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    chrysler prowlers....plymouth prowlers....no difference....ummmm...duh
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Check the licence plates or the speedo. Intrepids in Canada and I believe outside the US come under the Chrylser badging. I had a 98 Chrylser Intrepid ES.By the way, they come from the same factory in Brampton Ontario. Hope this helps. Also the Canadian cars come standard with daytime running lights.
  • lcherrinlcherrin Member Posts: 2
    I'm pretty sure its power steering fluid because it's shows almost empty, but that's my only indication besides that the noise & rubbing sound while trying to steer.