Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• cblake2cblake2 Member Posts: 53
    I have noted now an increasing amount of corrosion around the clamps that hold the battery in the engine compartment. One of the metal brackets is eaten away now and the greenish powder residue is VERY close to the battery cables themselves. The other side has an equal amount of this powder residue. What's going on with this? I have seen corrosion on very old vehicles. Is the battery acid somehow leaking?? Please help.

cblake@erols.com
  • akroegerakroeger Member Posts: 16
    How would you arrange the Honda seating in order to accomodate 5 people in their own seats, a large dog on its bed and luggage?

I suppose you could put the dog on the rear seat with one of the passengers (no longer his own seat) or put luggage on the rear seat, or stack the dog on top of the luggage in the rear luggage well.

With an 'all or nothing' 3rd row bench seat, your options are more limited.
  • grinder3grinder3 Member Posts: 5
    Folks:
    Does anyone know anecdotally or from any information that the Toyota Sienna TC problems were only in the May - Aug vehicles and that the 2001 Sept., onwards vehicles are good. Has anyone with a 2001 Sept made vehicle had a problem with check engine light? Would appreciate this information very much. Have been reading all the posts on this board and waiting in the wings, for just this information to buy. Thanks
  • grinder3grinder3 Member Posts: 5
    Rigstar:
    Hope you are getting some decent response from your dealer with your tranny problems in your 2001 XLE. Was your 2001 built in Aug or Sept? All the best. Thanks
  • gb9gb9 Member Posts: 16
    I have owned nine cars in my post-University adult life (12 years). I have yet to have encountered sludge... What *is* it exactly and how does it affect an engine?

My 1971 VW used to have a sticky carburator on particularly cold New York winter mornings, which sometimes resulted in gasoline overflowing into the oil. The gasoline contamination would raise the level of oil in the tank and foul two or more spark plugs (I'd be running on 2 cylinders -- an interesting experience unless you're driving one of those cool Citroën 2CV's).

On such occasions I would just drain the oil, clean the plugs, refill the oil and drive on... What finally killed that VW was a head-on collision with an early 80's Buick.

Is the sludge issue specifically messing with the fuel injector system, or what?

I don't anticipate any problem, as I am a fanatic about routine maintenance and I keep all computer-printout receipts.

Just would like further info...

Thanks

George B
  • dardsondardson Member Posts: 21
    in spite of my apprehension based on reading this site, I bought an XLE w/leather. I posted earlier that I really liked the car but felt it was "mighty plain" for a 31k car, and a little disturbed by the complaints on this site. Still think Chrysler is better at making interiors that make you feel you've got a luxury car. That said, I love my Toyota. It's very quick (210hp with a relative light weight)and smooth as butter. I decided to trust history (not to mention Consumer Reports). Toyota has consistently built cars that that never seem to break, in spite of what I read here. Thanks for the comments, folks.
  • lleesllees Member Posts: 7
    What is the production date of your XLE? No check engine light coming on yet? After reading all about this TC problem, I wonder if I should stop this process now and wait for a 10/00 production vehicle.
  • rjsforjsfo Member Posts: 13
    A few weeks ago you posted an update regarding the Toyota Customer Assistance Center giving you a Platinum extended warranty for having to replace your torque converter. Can you provide more details on who you talked to and your Toyota case number? I just got a rejection on my request for a warranty extension from the Toyota dealers Customer Relations Manager. Thanks, rjsfo
  • lshtlsht Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2000 Sienna LE 5 weeks ago. Got the check engine light at 800 miles and sure enough need a TC. What is the long hold-up on getting this fixed? It has been over 3 weeks and the part is still not available, the dealer tells me Toyota is overwhelmed by the problem. I'm a little disappointed in Toyota, with all the problems Ford has had they did manage to get me a rebuilt engine in one weeks time for my old Windstar. First the Ford experience, now this. I'm having transmission nightmares...........
  • anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    After many service visits and discussions I got my regional rep. involved. after several visits with information learned here I talked toyota into replacing the computer. WA-LA 4000 miles and 3 months later ,NO door problems. In love with my Sienna again.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You would think that since this is such a problem of getting new TC's to the customers that Toyota would take the honorable way out and shut down the lines like Ford did for the Firestone tires in order to take care of their future repeat customers.
  • gasmizergasmizer Member Posts: 6
    Congrats on your purchase! We have a 2000 LE, bought it in April, and have 9,000 trouble-free miles on it. We love our van, and you have more goodies to enjoy. As a bonus, we got ~26-27 MPG on a 1500 mile trip recently.

Too bad about some of the TC problems I read about here; I'm grateful my Sienna has been flawless. I have nothing to complain about so I guess I'm off-topic!

I strongly recommend the Sienna!
  • siennadriversiennadriver Member Posts: 3
    We've had our 2001 XLE for about one month and already I see that the leather on the driver's seat is starting to crack!! I had a Chrysler Town and Country for 6 years and the leather was indestructible. The Toyota leather seemed fragile when I first bought the van, and sure enough, it seems to be wearing out. Is anyone else having this problem? By the way, I'm normal weight, and don't wear sandpaper jeans or anything.
    since my dealer didn't have exactly what I wanted, he kinda (sorta) ordered me one (not from scratch, but found me an XLE to be here next week.) In the mean time I'm driving his demo...so when I say I love my Toyota, I should say I love my dealers demo....it's a CE but the same powertrain. I find the car everything I want. After a '93 Ford Explorer, '94 Jeep GC, '96 Chevy Tahoe, and a '98 Ford Expedition, it's absolutely the best of both worlds (SUV vs. everything else). I've been stuck on SUV's because of their space and (until lately) their great resale. This Sienna has a quiet, sedan like ride, a quick and nearly silent engine, and and more cubic feet inside than my Expedition. You can get in and out without a step stool, and 19mpg to boot. I never tow or drive off-road and only want the space for my job. Is it a car, a spacious cargo hauler, or an ultra smooth riding luxomobile? Yes! Is it as bullet-proof as the press claims. We'll see. But they made this darn thing for me.
    We finally picked up our 2001 XLE last night (it took us 4 hours - $40 just in babysitting fees!). And so far we just LOVE it. We took a drive in it today with the kids - and with 60 miles now, still no check engine light (keeping my fingers crossed).

The dealer still owes us 2 keys and the remote entry beeper things (it was a dealer trade-in and they did not receive everything) so we have to go back tomorrow. Hopefully it will not break down on the way back to the dealer.

Sorry people, but spending too much time in the Sienna Problem forum is making me paranoid and really taking away my undistracted enjoyment of this new vehicle.

Dardson... hope you get your real car soon. The CE might drive the same, but I am sure it doesn't "feel" anything close in luxury. Bet you can't wait.
  • crosby2crosby2 Member Posts: 1
    we bought a 00 sienna had the engine light go on dealer ordered the part it took 8 days to get and one day to put in and i was given a rental car my van was detailed and so far so good fingers crossed
  • murphy20murphy20 Member Posts: 3
    At the end of July, I took delivery of a 2000 XLE, mfg in 6/2000. Next day got the engine light and the engine code identified the t/c problem. Of course, as we were early in to the failing t/c problem it took a number of calls and sharing info from this site and others to convince the service dept to investigate the matter further. I previously posted my early experiences on this site and vented a bit about my disappointment. A t/c was ordered, arrived 6-7 weeks later, installed in one day. Our salesman's demo was loaned to us for the day. It has been two months since and no problems, shimmies, misalignment or other problems have occurred.
    I opened a file with Toyota customer service during the time I was pointing out the likely problem, and getting no action. I checked periodically with my service mgr and the customer service rep. While waiting for my new t/c. I often expressed my frustration and disappointment with Toyota over having to watch the engine light and wonder if it was the t/c, something else or a safety hazard. After the part was installed, I contacted the customer service rep. and discussed ways in which they might attempt to repair their damaged reputation. Bottom Line: I was offered an extended warranty or cash. In my case, the extended warranty had no value to me as I am leasing the vehicle so we negotiated 2 months worth of lease payments, approx. $640. This was not a settlement, but a good will gesture on Toyota's part, i.e, I did not waive any rights or sign a release. I have noted that others have gotten a lot less for their trouble, some may have gotten more, I don't know. I was mad when it happened for all of the obvious reasons, but perhaps there can be a happy ending for some of you. I think Toyota has gone a long way to revive its reputation with me. If you need to protect yourself with the "lemon laws", by all means do so, but give the dealer and the service rep. every chance to make it right first. Best of luck to the rest of you.
  • rjsforjsfo Member Posts: 13
    When you were given the option for an extended warranty or cash, was this through the dealer or the Toyota Customer Assistance Center? If it was the dealer, would you mind sharing the name? Any details on getting to that point would be helpful too.
    Thanks, rjsfo
  • idahomomidahomom Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 XLE with 800 miles. In the last week or so I've begun to hear and feel a brief "scraping" noise under the accelerator. This occurs after ignition is started, van is put into drive and accelerator is depressed. It occurs about 1 1/2 to 2 seconds after I start pushing the accelerator. It does not appear to occur if the van hasn't just been started. In other words, if I put my van in park with the engine running and then put it in drive, I do not have the noise. The dealer says it is a normal function relating to the antilock breaks or transmission. Does this sound serious?
  • murphy20murphy20 Member Posts: 3
    The cash or extended warranty offer was made by the Toyota Customer Assistance Center, however, the check actually came from the dealership. I only spoke with the dealer about car specific items and how we could work together on how to accelerate the t/c repair process. My experience suggests that the customer service rep. follows up with the dealer/service mgr. to check my story and other relevant facts. I also let the service manager know when I spoke to the customer assistance rep to give him a heads up and so he didn't feel that the complaint was personal to him. My conversations with the customer service rep were always direct, but polite. At some point, I probably asked whether Toyota would take some steps to redeem its good will which lead to our negotiated resolution. Good Luck.
  • enriquezenriquez Member Posts: 1
    Sorry for the ignorance but what does TC stand for with this TC problem in the Toyota Sienna?
    Thanks
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    TC = Torque converter

Click on "see all responses" near the top of this page to read the previous messages on this issue.

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
    I've watched lots of the Town Hall sites over the last few years on various cars that interest me. By contrast, the Toyota sites are full of helpful information from very consciencious buyers discussing valuable experiences. This is not my experience at other sites. As a group Toyota buyers expect very close to perfection and are determined to get it at the absolute bottom dollar(the toughest of customers I suspect.) It may be a mixed blessing to be a car company that manufactures no-nonsense cars considered the world's standard for reliability.
  • siennadriversiennadriver Member Posts: 3
    Your dealer is right. I get the same noise, and would have worried except I had already read somewhere (in fact I think it may have been the car manual) that the sound is the anti-lock brakes activating.
    Thanks for your reassuring remarks. The service guy officially said it was the "ABS motor pack energizing."
    As I said before, spending so much time in this very informative forum is making me paranoid and taking away from my enjoyment of my 3-day old 2001 XLE. I keep looking for the engine light.

Last night, I thought I heard a minor rattling noise coming from inside the driver side passenger door - and even called my friend to see if they had the same problem. Today, driving on a bumpy road for 10 minutes, the rattling got worse and was definitely not my imagination. I even stopped the car to check the door - and opened and reclosed the door. Still I hear this rattling and now I am seriously concerned. When my husband got home, I made him come with us to drive the car on the same road so that I could "investigate".

To my major relief, the rattling came from under one of the captain's chair - and it was a headrest I had removed (to fit the carseat properly) and stored underneath the seat. One of the metal bars on the headrest was banging against the seat rail.

So my whole day had been ruined (worrying about this problem) simply because I was going crazy....
    I would like any information on the clunk noise heard upon backing up in the Sienna. When I back up and barely touch the brakes, I hear this loud clunking each time now. What exactly is causing such a thing?

Also, my van pulls significantly to the left now after new Michelin tires and several tire rotations. The pull is so strong that it startles me at times. I am constantly countering this tendency. It is unfortunate that such a nice van has such horrendous steering!

I have read that the pulling problem is secondary to an alignment problem. I also heard that this alignment problem does not have a permanent fix for it.

What is the latest on this very frustrating problem? I remember reading all the past posts and seeing that it is a *common* problem. I have created a flier for those interested in disseminating information about this issue (and others). Please e-mail me for the attachment.

cblake@erols.com
  • leslieldfleslieldf Member Posts: 32
    I have a friend in CA who's a Sienna owner for a year now and she told me that the clunking noise while backing up is perfectly normal and is due to the ABS system (which seems to provide lots of fun noises). Did you check with the serv. dept. about this?
    I took the headrest and turned it around so the booster seat would fit better. Just pull it all the way out and put it in backwards. It looks a little funny but it doesn't have to be stored.
  • minimom4minimom4 Member Posts: 4
    I picked up my 2001 XLE on Friday night with 140 miles on it (driven from another dealership.)
    On Monday morning, with 240 miles on it, "check engine" comes on! The dealership I bought from was 50 miles away. I checked with one of 2 local dealerships and they were very gracious and got me right in to look at it. They said it didn't matter that I didn't buy from them (what a shock!) It was a code P0733, which is in the transmission, but they weren't sure exactly what.
    They had to take the dash off to get at the on-board computer and probe voltages. All they came up with is a voltage surge from one of the speed sensors. Anyone else experienced this??
    They put it back together, cleared the code and said it's fine to drive. I have this feeling that the light is going to come back on in another 50 miles.
    The dealership I bought from has been following up on everything that has been happening, so I must admit I have been impressed with the level of customer service. I'm less than impressed with the manufacturer. When you spend that kind of money, you don't expect to be in the shop at 250 miles!
  • gasmizergasmizer Member Posts: 6
    Relax! Sounds like serious after-purchase paranoia. I can relate. But take your own advice - enjoy your new (excellent) van. Mine has over 9k now (bought it in April) and have had zero problems. Good dealership, great product!

Good luck & enjoy!
    Sounds like the now famious T/C problem. Nothing to worry about. They just tear apart half your vehicle and drop the transmission and install a new torque converter. A couple months to order the part and a couple days to install, but you can drive the van in the mean time. Toyota says it won't hurt it.
  • jmsimsjmsims Member Posts: 14
    A check engine light can be due to a lot of different things. It means there is a problem, and the only way to find out more is to have the dealership hook up an OBD-II code scanner to read the diagnostic trouble codes. In the case of #353, a P0733 means 'Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio', which means the speed ratio between the input and output shafts of the transmission did not track properly at some point while in 3rd gear. I would guess that it could be due to a bad speed sensor or poor sensor connection, but the dealership will have to figure that one out. It's probably not related to the infamous torque converter problem. That one caused a P0770 which was due to an excessive lockup time in the TC clutch.

No, I'm not a professional mechanic. But I have a Sienna service manual and some personal experience rebuilding a few automatics in my garage.
  • broker2broker2 Member Posts: 2
    Note that sometimes the check engine light came on was due to the gas cap needs to be turned for about 5 clicks to be sure it is pressure tight.

broker2
    Sorry got my numbers mixed up. Bet you can guess, I ain't no mechinac either. Or English teacher either. :-)
  • abcdefg6abcdefg6 Member Posts: 1
    We bought our Sienna in 1998. It currently has 27,00 miles on it. True, the oil changes didn't get done as often as they should have, but they got done. A few days ago smoke came out of the van after it was started but quickly cleared. It was a cool morning, so we thought it was from the coolness of the air. It happened again the next day. Checked the oil and the dipstick had no oil on it. Towed it to the dealership to check it out. They took a full week to get back to us to say that the short block needed to be replaced and it was going to cost us $6100. Toyota said they would make a goodwill gesture of $1000, but the remaining $6100 we had to cover ( total cost $7100). I have never heard of an engine going bad this early on, no matter what. Our dealership says Toyota does not cover damage from sludge. What do you think?? We are so disgusted about this, we want to trade the thing for a different make altogether.
    Hey thanks for the suggestions!! I will go that!
    I actually looked at the headrest and thought about doing that, but noticed that one side of the bar has notches and did not think it would even fit. Great idea.
  • readytobuy4readytobuy4 Member Posts: 24
    I have read several postings on the "engine sludge" problem with the Sienna's, most recently from cblake and abcdefg6. I'm no mechanic, but wonder why, if this is a TRUE Sienna flaw, that more people have not experienced this same problem?

In #359, the owner clearly admits to not having the oil changed regularly and that there was no oil on the dipstick. Does this mean changing the oil every 5,000 miles instead of 3,000, or simply skipping an oil change every so often? The fact that there was no oil on the dipstick meant that it was at least 1 - 1 1/2 quarts low-not a good sign. But where did that oil go? If it was on the floor of the garage or driveway, then it was leaking through the oil pan and should have been noticed. If it was burning up (visible smoke), than I believe that means the rings are bad, which could have been caused by not changing the oil regularly. I'm also curious as to why it was towed, did the engine actully sieze?

The bottom line is that oil will break down, regular oil quicker than synthetics or blends. If you value your vehicle, no matter what make or model, have the oil changed every 3,000-5,000 miles and check it every 2nd fill-up. Next to gas, oil is the most vital fluid in your engine.
  • mrfong1mrfong1 Member Posts: 16
    Was your "Low oil light on"? If it was and you neglected it for awhile perhaps the fault is yours. If it did not turn on then perhaps you could claim that this malfunction prevented you from realizing that your oil was too low. Also, as readytobuy4 inquires, what was the cause of your Sienna to loose over 1.5 quarts of oil!? If that was due to malfunction, perhaps Toyota would be responsible. Since they already tore your engine apart it is unlikely that you would find this out now.

I change oil ever 3500 miles and notice that there is no measurable loss in the oil level.
  • jmsimsjmsims Member Posts: 14
    Keep in mind that the oil light in the Sienna indicates low oil pressure, not oil level. When the pressure is low enough to turn on the oil light, it's usually too late. The damage may have already been done. It's better to do a visual inspection of oil level.

Several years ago, my father had his oil pressure light start flickering ON in his 1984 Camry. When I checked his oil dipstick, there was no oil! I asked him who had worked on the car last. He said the timing belt and oil had just been changed. Looks like somebody drained the oil, changed the timing belt, and then forgot to fill it up with new oil. Nice going! It still ran OK till he traded it in, but sounded a little funny after that incident. I would recommend that everyone check their oil level regularly and especially after any oil change. Don't wait for the oil light to come on.
  • mrfong1mrfong1 Member Posts: 16
    so basically there is no function in a "low oil pressure gauge" since if it comes on it is probably too late. They should change that because as far as I am concerned it is a waste of $ to put it in.
    My follow up to "leslieldf" would be to say that I am very in-tune to ABS noises. I had major ABS failure in a Dodge Caravan (along with thousands of other owners), and the van would constantly "buzz" like a bee.

Why? The ABS pump would have to run nearly constantly to make up for depleted pressure in the hydraulic assembly of the ABS. The noises were said to be "normal" by all Chrysler dealerships (data accumulated over two years). In fact, the noise was a real sign that the ABS was not working properly. The "buzz" should have been very intermittent.

Many owners had brake failure (I don't want to hear that it was just the assist because many accidents occurred, nonetheless.). It was a situation that was *grossly minimized* by the manufacturer. NOTHING was admitted until hundreds of owners banded together on-line and in a class action lawsuit. The NHTSA was *partially* helpful but mostly in the manufacturer's "back pocket" on the problem (as it continues to be today, IMO).

So, it is *not* the ABS that I hear. It is a metallic clunk clearly. But, thank you for your input.

cblake@erols.com
    Thank you for posting, "abcdefg6." Before you trade in that van and take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for this problem *before* knowing if it is an inherent problem, would you mind sending me your details in an e-mail message? I have been keeping tabs on the trends I see because many of the vans affected are the '99 van, which I currently own. Your information could help add to the growing database on this matter.

Please, do not go silently away without documenting fully. Contact the Center for Auto Safety and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in writing and describe the problem details. The details you have given sound very similar to others who have had the same problem. Many have changed the oil more often than you but they have still had the problem.

"Readytobuy4," it seems that you are "readytoblame" the owner without further evidence. As "mrfong1" points out, the check oil light did not come on. This has been noticed in the other cases, too. One owner is very upset that his warning system was not effective in preventing a low oil situation. What if an owner DID change the oil every 3,000 miles, but the light did not work when abnormal oil consumption began? I have seen that other owners complain that the Sienna began to burn oil prematurely. I'd like to know also what causes this.

I have begun to see white smoke, too. I am now attributing it to the cool air as "abcdefg6" did. I will check my dipstick to make sure. I think this owner did the right thing by towing. Wouldn't you blame him if he drove the van knowing it had no oil?? Sure you would. Why would you question why he had it towed?

There are still many questions to be asked about the sludge issue. No one is going to convince me that these cases were preventable with every 3,000 mile oil changes UNTIL THE ROOT CAUSE is found.

My guess is that Toyota will NEVER say a word.....well, unless FORCED to do so by a lot of angry owners. Let Toyota PROVE that the owner caused the sludge problem. I'd like to see the scientific proof, especially since Toyota has rejected PROOF from owners with sludge that it was NOT their fault.

Owners report that Toyota isn't interested in doing any testing beyond the independent testing done by the owners. Toyota's stand is that it is the OWNER'S FAULT....no proof necessary. It says sludge is NOT COVERED....REGARDLESS of the root cause. Easier to say it is infrequent oil changes IN ALL CASES.

Can you really blame Toyota? Why would it want to open that can of worms???? In the words of Martha Stewart, "Too much testing is a bad thing." It can be quite incriminating for a manufacturer! Too many damaging documents might be generated....

Well, I suspect time will tell "readytobuy4." Many of the '99 vans are just now approaching the infamous 25,000 miles+ when the sludge is often seen. There are tons of these vans around where I live....time to start looking for the white smoke and making inquiries. If this is truly a NON-problem as some are implying, then I won't find out much from such inquiries.

cblake@erols.com
  • lamm9733lamm9733 Member Posts: 37
    I believe the noise you hear when backing up and applying the brakes are the front brake pads "moving" in their "holders". If I remember correctly pads for disc brakes are not rigidly mounted in their holders. They sort of "float" in a pocket on each caliper. By float I mean they are able to move back and forth (front to back) a bit. My guess is that the pads are normally in a forward position. When backing and up and the brakes applied the pads move to rear position and the clunk is heard. My van also makes this noise. My Nissan Maxima does also, but it much quieter...you have to be outside of the car to hear it. In my opinion, this noise is a non-issue. If you are concerned about the noise, take it to a brake professional. I sure they will tell you the same thing. I would say take it to your Toyota dealer, but from previous posts I do not believe you would value their opinion.
  • readytobuy4readytobuy4 Member Posts: 24
    I have to say, after having read postings related to Toyota Sienna in the past 5 months I have yet to see anyone other than cblake have as many problems with their past and current vehicles. Just remember, paranoia will destroy you!

As far as being "readytoblame" abcdefg6, try reading my posting again. Merely asking questions does not equate to laying blame. I sympathize with abcdefg6 if indeed the vehicle was maintained and the repairs are due to a flaw in the Sienna's design. It just seems odd that a vehicle with only 27k miles would consume 1.5 quarts of oil if properly maintained. Also, asking whether the engine siezed would let us know if the engine had lost even more than 1.5 quarts of oil-or was it towed as a precaution.

If you are keeping track of those Sienna owners who have had sludge problems, I'd be curious to know how many have responded to you. And of those, how many can PROVE that their vehicle was maintained properly? It seems odd that so many people spoken out about their torque converter problems, as I have, yet so few have said anything about sludge with their Sienna???
  • akroegerakroeger Member Posts: 16
    Take a look at Charlene Blake's (cblake)topic # 1564, Sludge in the Engine Problem: Sienna, Camry, & Avalon. No Sienna sludge problems listed, except for Charlene.
  • my381catnipmy381catnip Member Posts: 3
    We are considering purchasing a new Sienna and a
    key issue in deciding between the LE and the XLE is
    the standard body side cladding vs. the painted
    body side cladding.

Can anyone comment on their experience with the
    durability of the painted body side cladding. Our
    past experience with the type of material used in
    molding and body cladding -- often a flexible
    plastic/rubber composite -- was that paint did not
    stick and was subject to peeling off over time.
    This has happened with our 1987 Audi Coupe GT where
    Audi decided to make the very last batch a
    "special edition" and paint things like the side
    mirrors, the bumper protection, etc. The cars
    looked great at first and luckily we wanted a black
    car (the other choices were fire engine read and
    milk white). Since the paint and the painted
    material were both black, the peeling paint has not
    been too bad of a problem for us, but the red and
    white models look horrible.

So that is the reason for our concern.

Do you know if the XLE body side cladding is the
    exact same material as is used on the LE, but just
    painted. Or is it possibly a different material
    that may hold paint better, but not necessarily
    flex as well when hit with rocks, car doors, etc.

And finally, can anyone comment on the durability
    of the LE body side cladding -- does it hold it's
    color or does it tend to develope that whiteish,
    faded, dull look that a lot of plastic/rubber
    composites tend to pick up as they age.

Thank you for any feedback on this subject.
  • ny25champsny25champs Member Posts: 6
    purchased a 2001 LE about 3 weeks ago. Had 73 miles on it from transport to the dealer. after a couple of days, we heard a noise from the engine. first we were told it was bad valve springs(s). they were replaced but the dealer wasn't happy with it. they got the ok from Toyota to replace the lower engine block! at the time it had only 143 miles on it! we feel we no longer own a new van but a van with a rebuilt engine and we'll forever be listening for noises. we complained to Totota customer relations that we wanted a new van. we were told that it was being fixed under the warranty. we are now going to take them to arbitration to try for a new van. has anyone else had this engine problem?
  • rms63rms63 Member Posts: 4
    Leslieldf: (# 343)
    My problem sound identical to yours...especially the lack of customer service. I would like to know how you got a copy of the Toyota Technical Service bulletin I would like to get the same. My check engine light went on at appx 100 mile mark and when I went back to dealer to have it checked, while also there for other paperwork they only reset the light and didn't bother to tell me the problem, in fact they told me they would hook the van to computer to dx problem and when they gave it back to me they said everything was OK. Check engine light back on 1 week later then finally dx'd with TC problem. The dealership denies any technical service bulletin regarding this problem...another lie I am sure. I am scheduled to have the repair Monday but after all the lies I don't know that I will ever trust the vehicle again... Your explanation of the problem is reassuring and hopefully once the TC is replaced things will be AOK. Please let me know more info re Technical Service Bulletin . Thank You
  • elsethelseth Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 Sienna with 41K miles and the rear brakes squeal. Have tried for 2 years to get them fixed. Toyota claims it is normal. Anybody else have this problem? More importantly, anybody get it fixed?