Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra's w 8100/Allison

Comments

• n75v111n75v111 Member Posts: 243
    Based my decision as follows.

8.1 with 3.73 will get almost the same (and maybe beter) mpg as the 6.0/4.1 and no matter which one gets the better milage its only going to be a mile or two anyway.

I've pulled enough 5th wheel time that the power is way more important than the mpg. (When you have that long grade etc.)

So if all this is a wash than the tie breaker is the ALLISON!!! know too many Chev,Ford or Dodge doing hard pulling where the regular Auto transmission was the week link--

So depends on whats import to you??

75v
  • smart99smart99 Member Posts: 48
    I'm with you. I've spent too much time 5th wheeling to waste my money on a 6.0. The 8.1 was a no brainer for me.
  • blackchevyblackchevy Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone installed the electric brake controler in their HD2500. I am taking the controller out of my old 95 chev 1/2 ton and would like to put it in my new HD2500. The trailer dealer installed the one in my old truck. I understand its suppose to be prewired in the new HD2500 and easily installed. Any help would be appreciated. Also will it make any difference that the new 2500HD is so much higher when I hook up the trailer. My old truck is a 95 1/2 ton silverado with 5.7.
    Just finsihed mounting Reese 5th Whl and my old Tekonsha Voyager # 9030 Brake Controller in the 8.1/Alli HD --

Hopefully you have the Z82 Seven Wire 'Heavy Duty Trailering Special Equipment' Option.

Z82 6 way connector plugs into box on dash floor by your left foot. Has a 40amp large fuse that goes into fuse box under hood (1st slot left side where the other same sized fuses are mounted)

Tekonsha Voyager # 9030 Brake Controller wires up to Z82 wiring as follows--
    Z82 Red to BC Black
    Z82 Drk Blue to BC Blue
    Z82 Black to BC White
    Z82 Lt Blue to BC Red
    Z82 Brown to BC Not Used

75v
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Sure, get the 8.1L for a fifth wheel and Allison. But fuel mileage as good as 6.0L? Not empty. No way. We've seen this debate before...the 6.0L gets nearly as good fuel mileage as 5.3L, 5.3L gets nearly as good as 4.8L etc. Pipe dreams!
    The post i see for the 6.0/4.1 are 12!!

75v
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    10 for the 8.1....and some claim 13!

I get almost 13 with the 6.0/4:10 ex.cab I got....I just can't imagine a 496 getting the same as a 364!

- Tim
  • 1i2cu1i2cu Member Posts: 32
    The truck manager where I ordered my HD stated that the TPW is still set for 04/16/01. I guess there really is an Easter Bunny. That means I should get my long awaited 8.1 by May 11,2001.
    Has anyone tried the 'DRAW-TITE' brake controller ? I was told that this is the state of the art controller to stop your trailer in tow.
    5th tank so far today I got 12.2 mixed driving, first tank 10.3 and its been in between. This engine ain't a bad thang, it's a good thang
    ....I've driven a few and like it lots....drawback is that I will never have a manual in a truck..and I don't need a $1200 option (Allison) on top of the LT charge!

GRRRRRRRRR

..plus it seems GM jumped too quick with that tranny....

we will see

- Tim
    Might as well get used to it Tim, 4L80, LD2500, 3 doors, and iron heads all going the way of the dinosaur.
    But I liked the Dinosaurs!!

LOL

...Tranny ain't going to the way side...(with a 6.0)....iron heads are...and new HD body style I like!

...I just may have to get a 6.0 CC?.....but will probably get the 8.1/Allison......cuz me a fun hog!

- Tim
  • khbushkhbush Member Posts: 19
    8.1 Allis 4.10 vibration

Was out for a ride and noticed a vibration at about 52 mph when it seems the converter is locking up. At first I thought I went across those rumble strips they use to slow you down at an intersection. It only lasts for about a second. I was not in tow/haul mode and only under moderate acceleration. Anyone else experience this?
    Thanks
    k h bush

it's been smooth sailing for me. so far no problems.
  • woolybackwoolyback Member Posts: 45
    Lowering the 2500, 8.1

Hi Guys I'm debating whether to lower my truck to give me more clearance between the bedrails and the nose of the 5th wheel.
    Right now it rides nice and level with about 4 inches of space but I think I'd like to have about 6 inches just to be safe.
    Can anyone tell me if it's possible to lower the truck bed, how far will can it go and how to do it.
    thanks
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    wow im only getting 12 (city) with my 5.3

wonder what an 8.1 would get??? 6?
    Ryan,
    I think there is a technical service bulletin out for your problem.

TSB 00010112
    Problem - Poor fuel economy in 5.3L

Cause: Nut loose behind wheel. Replace nut.
    Good one quad
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Loose nut behind the steering wheel ;)

Tim, just think the 8100 over the 6.0L in the burban is like a 1300 dollar option and it deletes the towing package worth a few hundred. So like 1500 bucks compared to 600 in the trucks. And the fact is the HD is like 6000 less than a burban to start with. Just take your bargain 8100, get the allison 4.10 with LOCKER. And stop your cryin. You only live once and you'll cry if you don't get it.

Hunter
    don't ya know me yet?

8.1/Allison/4:10..OPEN DIFF!

am 34 now......just before 40 I'll get the 2500 Burb with the 8.1

- Tim
    Good one Hunter!!!! (:-)

What's this no Message Header??? Dumb Change!!

Woolyback - Been Eye-Balling my 5th wheel clearance also. Have about the same 4" but I do have some chrome rails that are about 1.5" high so i could remove them. Also because these HD's are so high off the ground, i lowered my Reese 15K hitch platform one bolt row for about 2" when i installed it. Think i'll pull this week end and keep a close eye on it -- GULP!!!!

75v
  • hunter98hunter98 Member Posts: 273
    Yes, I know you, but with all that power, wouldn't it be great to lay 2 black streaks, instead of one. Shoot, I drove a CC 8100 3.73 and it was nearly impossible to not spin with a locker. Without one on wet pavement with lots of power. Try to not spin.

Its $245 bucks well spent timmy!
    Don't go burban on us now. Know a guy with a loaded 97 burban with 100,000 miles. Heard the dealer wanted like over $25,000 to trade for one just like it (Gulp). He is still driving the same one and said no F****** way!

Hunter
    Not yet......about 5 more years or so for Burb....2002 CC HD for me....just don't know when I'm gonna order it.

I drove a 3:73 and a 4:10 8.1/Allison....as well as a 6.0 HD (4:10 obviously).....I'm tryin' to remember which one had the locker though?...GRRRR

- Tim
    ..ohh..and I don't lay black streaks in a truck.....gimme a car for that.

Racing/Hotrodding trucks??...I might as well get me a bug zapper too to watch with my buddys!...aaahhhheeeaaw!

No thanks

LOL

- Tim
    Tim in a burb hahaha

How come i cant picture this?
    already did!

and I gave you about 30 pics of it!...remember?

- Tim
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Figure in 5 years there will be no burbs. The earth will run out of empty beer cans by then...and maybe fossil fuel too....

But you could always buy a used one........
  • foreverwaitingforeverwaiting Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard anything on GM accepting orders for 2001 HD2500SB Silverado CC with LT option and Diesel/Allison transmission? Placed an order w/ a local dealer in Dec. 2000 and dealer is still giving me the same song and dance telling me that they cannot place order through to GM. Supposedly the dealership I went through is a Fleet Dealership, but it doesn't appear to be helping us. I know there's a long wait-but this long (4 months and order isn't even to GM yet). What's up with GM getting their act together on producing these vehicles? A buddy of mine has been waiting since October and his order hasn't been placed yet either. Does anyone think the dealership/GM is playing unethical games with these vehicles so customers have to pay more for 2002 model since they will be probably stopping the line soon to gear up for 2002 models? Forever Waiting....Any info. will be appreciated.
    Forever, I'll bet it's simpler than that. Your dealer probably doesn't have an allocation. If you didn't mind looking around, or maybe accepting a different color, you could find one in stock.
    friend of mine has waited since October as well.....still not ordered....lose the Duramax for a quicker deal

- Tim

...and we got so much fossil fuel..it ain't funny!
    A friend of mine got an 2500 LT CC Duramax/Allison off the lot, in Pewter. That was lucky, no doubt. He's a dentist, so he just writes a check and drives it home, like all the other toys he has, motorcycles, tundra etc.

Interesting, a guy on TheDieselPage.com cited a Motor trend article where they compared the diesels from Ford, DamNearChrysler, and GM, putting them on the dynomometer. The DC put out hp and torque about equal to its rating, 230hp/505 ft/lbs, the the Ford exceeded its rating slightly, 245/560, and the GM did not meet its rating, measuring 240/495, or thereabouts.

Just a warning if its important to you, on diesel engines like everything else, there is no subsitute for cubic inches. And we've seen this underachieving dynomometer performance from GM before. As I discovered on my 5.3L Silverado, if it really had 270 hp, it should put up quarter mile E/T's in the high 15's. For 2000, they up'd the rating to 285. I'd be surprised if they did a thing to change it...
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    Diesel on a Dyno: There was an article posted on the Edmunds site reflecting how different results can be seen with trying to measure engine output with a Dyno. The problem they encountered was getting the auto transmission to lock up so that the results are consitent with the engine output. This article explains why the GM gasser vehicles showed poorly on the dyno and that a manual transmission should be used to validate the engine outputs. I would not be surprised if the MotorTrend article used the same technique for the diesel as they did for the gasser producing a less than the competition results.

In a real world test pulling a load up a 7% grade, the Duramax pulled the load with faster and with less effort than the Power Stroke or the Cummins.
    Could be. Trailer life did some tests with the 8.1L and 6.6L diesel. Tests seem to confirm the axiom, that torque is what gets you going, horsepower is what keeps you going. (For trucks anyway)

http://www.trailerlife.com/test/0010v8.cfm

• gmcgtgmcgt Member Posts: 15
    Ladies and Gents,
    I took delivery of my new GMC 8100/Alli. First tank full netted 12.1 mpg. 50/50 highway/city. Ordered the PU on Sept 21, 2000, TPW was 3/26/01. It was delivered to the Dealer 4/12/01. Has anyone out there ordered the Climate control and the Rear window defogger. We ordered 3 PU's with these options and didnt receive one with them. By the way, the 8100 will smoke a powerstroke in a drag race
    ...4:10 or 3:73?

- Tim
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    Congradulations GMCGT on your new HD! However it does not take much to smoke a power stroke in a drag race! The question is loaded or unloaded?
    Agree. If you're smokin' a power stroke with an 8.1L, you have a really bad oil burnin' problem with the 8.1L.
    TIRE SMOKE............U LUZ
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    Any one know what the Mobil filter number is for the 8.1. And any particular store/chain that carries them? Can't find anything around here.
    4.10, I dont think you can get 3.73's with the 8100/alli combo. I tried!
    I guess I should have stated that I tried to get the 3.73's in a 3500. The 3.73's are available for the 2500HD and 3500 with the Duramax.
  • lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    I thought a dyno measured the useable power a vehicle makes. It seem to me if you cant get the power to show up on a dyno it is not going to appear on the street.
  • sjyokelsjyokel Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know what happens if your 2001 order is not picked up by GM until after they start producing 2002's (the dealer told me orders for 2002's will be accepted in June) If you have paid a deposit will you get a 2002 at your agreed on 2001 price? Or do they refund your $ and you have to order all over again?
  • nelson22nelson22 Member Posts: 3
    Speaking of 2002 models, has anyone heard if there will be any changes/improvements made? From my experience, GM corrects bugs on the second year of a new design.
    ...so I know a 2500HD comes in it..

as for orders....I ordered a 99 2500..got cancelled...had to order a 2000 2500....never put anything down.....so there was no refund....and I guess I paid 2000 prices?...as it all had to be re-entered...as a new order.....couldn't carry it over..

- Tim
  • 1i2cu1i2cu Member Posts: 32
    Should be here by May 11, Hopefully. 8.1 w/allison, 4.1 locker, ext. cab and long bed. More room to put the toys in. Only waited 6 months for it to get here. Paying invoice plus 500.
  • bigred17bigred17 Member Posts: 12
    Every now and then I hear this clunk when I start the 8.1. I talked to the dealer and he told me the clunk comes from the transmission when the clutches engage. Does anyone else have that problem. The trans works great but like I said,it makes a clunk when I start it. It happens right after the truck has started. I am not putting it in gear either when it happens.

By the way, my mileage in the city is 9.8-10.0 and I mean strictly city driving.Three tanks in a row. All stop and go driving.
    I have an 8.1 w a 3.73 two wheel drive.
  • khbushkhbush Member Posts: 19
    Mine is 8.1/Allison 4.10. Never noticed a clunk when starting. Paid particular attention this morning when I started it.

Ken
    yesterday i seen a nice

2500HD CC with 285's in downtown lafayette. It also had the new orange metallic paint. It looked real good especially with the larger tires and it also was the first orange truck i seen.

GET ONE MAN!!!
    You wont regret it

Ryan
This discussion has been closed.