Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra's w 8100/Allison

Comments

• minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Mirror covers are flash chromed plastic. Painted mine with Duplicolor bed spray (sand w/180 grit and wipe down with thinner first) Matches the color and texture of the mirror body and hasn't shown any damage since I did it last fall.
    -- Don
  • loyalgmcguyloyalgmcguy Member Posts: 64
    Eric,
    Thanks for the tip.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    got mine for $26 a pair from a local place

Ryan
  • 4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    That's a good idea, I'll have to keep that in mind if/when the damage starts on the side mirrors...

Thanks,
    Bob
  • trampertramper Member Posts: 12
    Iv' Had the clunk a few times, but not consistently. I think it's the trans. engaging 1st gear with enough force to take up the slack in the drive line. Recently pulled my 5th wheel[approx. 7000# loaded] over CA. hi way 88 [Carson Pass], a winding twisting road with many steep grades. It's 8650Ft. at the summit. The truck performed like a champ. The 8.1 had plenty of pulling power and the allison performed flawlessly. No heat problems. A/C worked fine although the out side temp. was in the low 80's. Filled with gas in Minden Nev.-6.6mpg [ouch] but I had my foot in it most of way. the rest of the trip, 430 mi. total, almost all mountain driving Averaged 7.5. Changed oil at 1600mi. used about a pint. I'v got no complaints so far. Good luck guys.
  • woolybackwoolyback Member Posts: 45
    does anyone know where the temp. sensor is located for the Electromatic rear view mirror that has the compass and temp. guage built in.
    I didn't order one for my truck due to a foul up with fleet manager so I'm thinking of having one put in. I'm getting nothing but negative comments from the service dept., they say it will cost a bunch to install if they have to put in the sensor but they can't tell me if it was already installed at the factory.
    Does anyone out there have the wiring diagram for the new trucks or know of a way I can find out how to locate the sensor. Really need some help on this guys my wife wants that mirror bad.
  • dogman4x4dogman4x4 Member Posts: 16
    Hello All,
    A while back I put the aforementioned tires on my HD and immediately noticed a shimmy. I went back and had the tires rebalanced but the shimmy was still there. The tire guy checked it out and said that two of the tires were out of round and that no ammount of balancing would fix it. He ordered two moretires and both of them were also out of round. I want to switch to a different brand of tire, but would like to hear what tires some of you guys are running. I am running the factory wheels with the 285s and need a tire that will not make too much noise on the highway, but will provide good traction off road and on the beach. The Goodyears were about $200 each so I'm looking for something in that price range.

Thanks, Scott
    my vote is for BFG all terrain TA ko's $156 a tire.
  • n75v111n75v111 Member Posts: 243
    Just in case the compass/temp. mirror idea gets too expensive (or impossible to add) and you need an alternative -- if its the outside air temp. she is most interested in --Radio Shack has an inexpensive LCD unit where you could thread the prob wire thru the firewall and mount the prob in clear, shaded fresh air in the grill (did that in my previous truck).

BTW - Radio Shack has a SUPER Velcro -check it out- which I used to mount the brake control under the dash and also a CB radio vertically to the center console by the right knee (so no bracket or drilled holes to deal with).

Guess you probably have an LS so FYI the LT Electromatic rear view mirror also has the OnStar electronics in it.

In addition to the Temp. prob there may be a separate directional sensor for the compass that would be tricky to locate and function properly.

Good luck, Maybe ordering and '02 would be the 2nd alternative -- (:-)

75v
  • 1i2cu1i2cu Member Posts: 32
    Instead of dumping the tires, have the tire shop true the tires. Thats where they bolt your wheel with tire to a machine, like a lathe. The wheel spins and a blade shaves the high spots on the tire. I had that done to a set of tires. Took me some time to find a tire shop that trued tires. The cost was about $5 - $10 a tire and took about 45 minutes to do all four.
  • owenm1owenm1 Member Posts: 29
    front 60, rear 80psi...Sound right?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    empty, no.
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...fronts..50.
    Rears:

Empty - 40
    Loaded - Up to 80

..even 40 seems too much based on the tires markings...(outside not touching as good as it could)...but I don't want to go too low?

several rotations has avoided any wear problems or patterns.

- Tim
  • rhwoodpeckerrhwoodpecker Member Posts: 26
    I noticed a bunch of A/C problems above. I sold a Ford F-250 Crew last fall and bought a regular cab C3500. This Chevy will also keep meat. The Ford struggled to keep up like the above mentioned problems. Is it possible that the units are built for regular cabs and don't handle the volume of an Ext. cab or Crew cab very well?
  • eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    My crew-cab will also store meat, I have the climate control, but that shouldn't make a difference. I also have the buckets with center console, so there are a/c ducts running to the back seats. The only complaints have been "it's too cold".

Tim: I'm running 45 all around, seems like the best of both worlds unloaded. When are you gonna step up to a HD? LOL
    -Eric
    ..will be selling mine very soon??..and then order a CC HD?....

I want to drive my other car some also in between...or I'd order it right now.

- Tim
    excuses excuses

he will be driving an explorer sporttrac before an HD
    Took a trip back up to Gunnison this weekend, got about 10.5 mi/gal pulling my 3,000lb boat. One thing I did enjoy was going up Monarch pass (6% grade) at 55 mph with quarter throttle (except around the sharp curves of course), my 97 half ton could only do 45 mph floored. That's not too bad, same trip unloaded I got 13 and change going up there. But hey only got 1600 miles on the truck and no problems so far, still has ice cold A/C to!

By the way I am running 45 psi at all 4 corners.

Bob
    into the bed of a 3500LB? Would DRW be required?
    ...but we may just have to find out!

....keep talking Ryan....you are still stuck in 6400 GVW Land!...you have 2 steps just to get to my level Pal!..(7200 , 8600)

LOL

Usually I order and sell at the same time. But we have so much going on this year...I really don't care about cars right now...honestly. Could care less either way.

Probably be an HD CC...but other thoughts have been going thru the noggin' as well.

Sport Trac Ryan mentioned is for the Mustang replacement for the wife....which we have to get up for sale soon as well...

Time...time.......not enough of it!

- Tim
  • nc2500hdnc2500hd Member Posts: 1
    Sorry if this has already been discussed, but does anybody have any favorites where bedliners are concerned? I've heard good things about spray in types, and the two that know of are Line-x and Rhyno liners. Anybody have any experiences with any of them?
    Want to look at it?....get a spray in.

Want to use it?...get a drop in.

- Tim
    3500 only comes in LB DRW now, so it isn't a weight issue. Better off getting tap with nitrogen set-up & the special kegs. No more cans with the gas balls.

But as for the total # of 15 packs, I think this could be tested at the truck bash, no?
    -Eric
    was that I didn't want too much side to side motion and the DRW is a stabler platform. Otherwise, I'd opt for the cheaper 2500HD.....

Bedliner...dropin works best for day to day. Gonna put some pallets or rock...rent a truck. I got some gouges in mine but don't really care cause the installer patches them. Remember I had a commercial stove in the back of the truck, when pulling it out, the gas line left a 20" long x 3/4" wide x 1/4" deep gouge....was a brand new silverado....thankfully, it wasn't mine.
    I have the correct Flow tap with the screens...the 75/25 Nitrogen /CO2 mix...the proper keg tap and all the lines....

But I'm a-scared at how fast I'd drink it if I set it up!

LOL

Last batch of Porter I got....a 5 gallon keg was gone in 6 days....Monday to Saturday....and nobody came over.....DOHHH

2nd one was a little better.....then I got the 15.5 Gallon keg and decided to uhh....what's that word?...oh yeah..PACE myself!

LOL

- Tim
  • sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    Had a Line-X sprayed in UTR couple a weks ago. so far so good. Line-X seemed to me to be a little less "rubbery" feeling than a rhino. Things seem to stay put better on this liner and not slide around as bad as they did on the drop in I had on the last truck. My .02
  • trampertramper Member Posts: 12
    Iv'e got a Line-x in my '01 Chev. and no complaints so far. I think sprayed liners really enhance the looks of the truck.I really didn't have a preference between Line-x or Rhino. The Line-x dealer was 30 mi. closer to home so that was the deciding factor.
    Had a dropin in my previous truck, an '89, it had a ribbed bottom which made it difficult to mount the 5th wheel hitch. Some people cut out the bottom around the hitch mounting plates I dropped in round steel rods in the groves under the mounts and it made a strong base to mount the hitch on. It worked out fine, but you avoid those problems with the sprayin. The sprayins can also be repaired if damaged. Good luck with yours which ever way you go.
    I went with a Line-X as it looked more uniform than the Rhino, but that could have also been the installer. To me the way the Rhino was going on looked glopy (I guess that's a word) and uneven. The Line-X looks really good and is a uniform texture all the way. By the way it didn't cost more to go OTR at the installer I went with....$385 plus tax...
    It has held up to shovel "attacks" very well so far, had a load of mulch dumped in there a few weeks ago and it didn't gouge or peel when shoveled.
    Later,

Bob
    What do you mean the tap isn't set up? Wouldn't that be akin to buying the HD w/ the 8100 and letting it sit in the garage? What a waste! Send it over & I'll test drive it for you. LOL
    -Eric
    Timmy likes beer tooooo much on tap....and kinda gets carried away...LOL

..and it's a bummer keeping track of how many....wife will ask how many ya had....ya look at the glass mug you have been filling up and say.."same one all day!"

LOL

Tap systems are kinda a hobby of mine also..I have about 6 different kinds of keg fittings for just about any keg in the world...several regulators..lines....faucets..and tons of tap handles. For partys I set up the beer fridge with 3 kegs on tap...it's always a hit!...Usually I have a 1/2 BBL of some kind of local Porter or Stout....but am kegless right now. Just about 7 kinds of bottled...that's all. haha

I bought the special keg tap....flow tap (Guinness is served at about 60 PSI and dispensed thru a special tap with a tiny screen the beer goes thru...producing the creamy head. The 75/25 Mix of gas does wonders). But I don't have one set up right now. Several local brewerys have special brews that are seasonal and I have been indulging in them.

I may have to have a keg of Guinness and a keg of New castle set up for when Mike comes though?

Good luck on this one now!

- Tim
    Get a bigger glass and you can tell her you are drinking fewer glasses than before.
    -Eric
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    You do keep those lines flushed and sanitized to USDA standards, don't you? Wouldn't want your tote-boy or cabinet expert getting some unhealthy brew induced bacteria while the project unfolds!
    Come to think of it, this could be your recurring illness this spring?
    Tom
    I have all the cleaners and sanitizers for the job...

Tote boy?...LOL

I don't think old Totie will be even coming....his girl won't let him I guess?

as for the illness....been feeling great...so shhhhhhh

...I never did install that air filter though...and probably won't before I sell it....and a CC filter is different....dohhh!

- Tim
    CC being Climate control....as they said it was different

- Tim
  • woolybackwoolyback Member Posts: 45
    Man am I peed at this damned forum setup, I just spent the last 10 minutes writing this monolog and made the mistake of going back a page to check on a message and when I came back my whole message was gone. So I'm starting all over again..........

Hey mgdvhman you wouldn't be a limey by any chance would you. The Broon is my favourite beer I didn't know you yanks had developed a taste for real beer.You will be drinking tea next :=).
    Didn't know you could get Newcastle in a keg, will have to check into that. I know Costco is selling it by the 24 case now.

Well I haven't had any problems with the AC but that's probably because I haven't had to overwork it. Didn't get any response to question about the number of times you have to return the truck to the dealer to get the same thing fixed before it qualifies for the lemon law......

Thanks n75v111 for the suggestion for a temperature monitor from Radio Shack I will check it out also check out the velcro. If it is as good as you say it would certainly save a lot of drilling. I have a lead on an aftermarket mirror that might do the trick will let you know what I find out.

I am going to be retiring my old Tekonsha trailer brake control. It's getting overly sensitive in it's old age just like me. Can anyone recommend a good replacement. I can try out that velcro when I get around to getting the new controller.
    I haven't checked yet...but it should come in a keg?....Mentioned it cuz Mike likes it. Too light for me. Tea?..nahh..coffee for me.

Most people I know don't have a real taste for the good suds....but I sure do

- Tim
    Most of my friends even drink.... GASP..... Bud. I hate even mentioning it! Even sounds like warm urine when said correctly.
    We are hear to discuss trucks not beer (hehe)
    I forgot not all of us are of the legal drinking age. hehe

Yea, I know the truth is your GF won't let you have any. LOL

Back to the big blocks!
    -Eric
    I know its the GF factor!!!
    Was only kidding about the young age (jealous really)
    ..supposed to be award winning.....must be some messed up judges?

Bud is horrible..Bud light is a little better...Michelob is not too bad..elephant red was good...

I can drink busch light or Guinness....but you will only find the good stuff at my place. now hunting camp....try to explain a widget and using Nitrogen to a bunch of local farmers with guns..LOL

I try to fit in and don't cause no stink....they work hard and I'm going to insult their beer. But a few of them get to talking about how they like a dark beer with dinner..and I just may try to sneak some in this year?

LOL

- Tim
  • 1i2cu1i2cu Member Posts: 32
    Do they have any MICHELOB DRY in your neck of the woods ? They use to sell it in SOCAL till about 4 or 5 years ago.
  • 45mike145mike1 Member Posts: 1
    Does the 8100 take regular gas or premium? I like the idea of extendable mirrors but have
    been told the mirrors are not electric. Can anyone confirm that?

I hope to order 2500HD 4x4 crew cab soon.
    .....no wait..that was bud dry..

I buy and sell beer taps and have a bunch of Mich.dry...I think they had it here?....but can't be positive.

- Tim
    I run 87 octane in my 8.1, no pinging or hesitation, just raw power!!
    13.5 mi/gal has been my best mileage on a break in road trip up to Gunnison. 9.something when I helped my self to the power in town after the break in... :-0
    Generally I am getting 10-11 mi/gal in town...

Later
    Bob
  • owenm1owenm1 Member Posts: 29
    So how is the "average" buyer supposed to know that the Cold pressures listed on the door are for maximum weights?
    My owner's manual refers me to the door which states, 60 front, 80 rear. Says noting about maximum weights, nor does it list a pressure for no load.
    I am running 45psi in all four when not loaded. Seems to be a good amount with decent ride & footprint on the road. The door listings are for GVWR, where the rear is supporting most of the load.

Bob: I'm jealous, I am still only getting 9 around town.

Mike: was mentioned the 2002 model camper mirrors (extendable) were going to be electric like the Ford's. Only hear-say, so don't qoute me on it.

-Eric
    reading this in the owners manual. Been reading up on the Allison transmission at their website and apparently we are required to change the external filter at the first 5,000 miles. I don't remember reading that in the Chevy manual.......

Here's the link:

http://www.allisontransmission.com/documents/product/10-TR-99,%20Rev%20A.pdf

Also their seems to be a deeper pan for the tranny that holds an additional 3.2 qts of fluid!!

Enjoy...

Bob

• dspendspen Member Posts: 1
    Recently bought first truck so don't know crap. It's chevy 3/4 ton crew with 8100 and Allison tran. So far like the truck EXCEPT for transmission whine at low speed. Sounds kinda like jet turbine. Salesman says this is normal for Allison trans. Is this true???
This discussion has been closed.