Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Stratus -- RELIABILITY???

knockout99knockout99 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Dodge
I'm looking into buying a 1996 Dodge Stratus, and was currious if anybody out there had info on this. I've heard really good things about the car, but nothing in particular about it's maintenance and reliability. I don't want to put 8 grand into buying this car, if it's going to cost more to keep it running. Any information or stories wanted!!! Thanks to all who help! :)

Comments

• enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    The later years (98-2000) were much better than the earlier ones. If it's a 4-cylinder, chances are it will need a head gasket sometime before 50,000 miles; DaimlerChrysler will sometimes cover the cost, or otherwise, figure on $700 or so.

The 4-speed automatic is DC's trouble-prone 41TE unit; make sure it's been maintained properly or you will have trouble with it. It seems to have caused less trouble with the Stratus than with the heavier minivans, though.

All told - get an extended warranty at least on the powertrain. Chances are good you will need it for one or another known problem.
  • mwaddomwaddo Member Posts: 30
    Unfortunately, I cannot give you any good news based on my experience. I bought a 1996 Stratus ES new, and it gave me problems from the very beginning. At about 3,000 miles it began leaking oil. Dealer took 3 visits to notice the oil pan gasket was leaking (brand new car! engine was clean). I did have the head gasket replaced at 45,000 ($900), and at 62,000 (Dec 2000) the transmission needed to be replaced. At this point, I traded it in for a 2001 Accord (they gave me $3,000 for the trade).

Hope this helps.

Mike
  • tason67tason67 Member Posts: 36
    I purchased a 1996 Dodge Stratus, new, with the 150 hp 2.4 cylinder motor. Since then I have had a power steering hose replaced (warranty) and a head gasket and cam seal replacement at 24,000 miles. After the warranty expired, I had another oil leak and head gasket replacement at 48,000 miles, which I complained about until DaimlierChrysler paid for it. Now, at 55,000 miles, I had to have a new air conditioner compressor ($750) and new tie rods on the left and right front wheels ($400), new belts ($105) plus an alignment ($50) because of the new tie rods. I also need new pads and rotors ($400), after having them replaced at 27,000 miles and an as yet undiagnosed oil leak, which may be another head gasket. My advice? Run, don't walk, away from a 1996 Stratus. I plan to purchase a Honda or Toyota next time. This car has become a money pit.
  • jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    I had a 1998 ES V6 and it was very reliable... I thought... until an old lady ran a stop sign and when I tried to stop, by brakes failed. I hit her broadside at 45mph and NEITHER airbag went off. I'm lucky to be alive. Then 2 weeks after getting the car back from the shop and the "OK" from chrysler that the brakes and airbags were fine, a drunk driver pulled onto the parkway in the wrong direction with NO LIGHTS ON. I came around a corner and again, the brakes failed and head-on. And, Again, NO AIRBAGS. So, at the advice of a friend, I checked out the consumer complaints area of www.NHTSA.gov and there are zillions of complaints about failed brakes and airbags not going off... even in 2000 models. My advice, don't waste your money. And I wouldn't buy a new one until they are crash tested... Chryslers are the worst in that regard.
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    A 45-mph impact would likely have totaled your car - if it was repairable, it's more likely you hit at well under 30 mph (even a 30 mph impact would likely have damaged your car beyond repair).

It's unfortunate the brakes failed, but the airbags may simply have done their job - they're not designed to deploy other than in a very serious frontal collision (one that would likely destroy your car).
  • speck1981speck1981 Member Posts: 3
    I now own a 96 Stratus ES, which I bought used so I don't really know about previous problems. I bought the car with 57,000miles, and now one year later have 74,500 miles on it and have yet to have a problem. I must admit, I have started to feel the transmission slipping, but the dealership claims that there is nothing wrong, I decided that I will drive it till it goes and than complain till I'm blue in the face. At least I was smart and bought a warrenty that covers the powertrain and tranny til about 96,000 miles. I have had 5 cars in the past year and a half, this is the first one that I have had no problems with, I've had this car 1 year. I would advise you to have the car checked out by a mechanic you trust and go from there.
  • agourdonagourdon Member Posts: 3
    I have a 96 Status and had oil leak problems at about 70k miles. Had the front seal, timing belt, etc replaced for about $900. Now at 79k miles, I've had the iginition coil replaced for $300. It left me on the side of the road twice in 2 weeks. Once before the coil was replaced, and once after. They ran diagnostics for 2 days, and can't find the problem. Seems to happen when I go over 30-40 mile trip...Anyone else had this problem? It's missing & then won't run. Like it's not getting fuel...
  • ltrecartinltrecartin Member Posts: 2
    In answer to message posted by agourdon on Feb. 1, 2001 I can understand where you are coming from. I had the same problem with my Stratus but my problems started at 114,000k. After driving for about 10 minutes it would start choking and missing and I would just cross my fingers until I got home. It started out gradually but finally it just quit altogether. I got stuck 3 times. The ran diagnostic for 4 days finding nothing. Then out of the blue they discovered the crank position sensor defective. They repaired it and it has been running smoothly since then. Hope this helps you.
  • rr44rr44 Member Posts: 1
    My 96 Stratus has stayed pretty reliable with no unscheduled mainatainace problems till about a couple of weeks ago -- when the tie rod failed -- almost causing an accident. Since I read another user having this problem -- was wondering if this is common for Dodge Stratus. Is this something that DC should recall the car for -- if could easily cause an accident
  • agourdonagourdon Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Itrecartin for you response to my post.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the approx repair amount? How long ago / mileage wise did you have it done? Are you still satisfied with your Status? With 4 more months to pay on it, I don't want to give it up now.
  • ltrecartinltrecartin Member Posts: 2
    I had the work done on January 8, 2001. The cost was 340.69$ canadian. I have'nt accrued any signficant mileage since then but so far so good. It seems to be running smoothly. I also had tie rod problems, head gasket problems and my brake shoes seem to wear fast. I think I probably have had everything go wrong that could go wrong with it. I bought it second hand and believe me I won`t go that route again.
  • mthor1mthor1 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my share of problems with the 1996 Stratus, too. Power steering hose replacement, new rack and pinion, six inches of water in the spare tire well, two dead batteries due to a trunk light that stayed on, timing belt and pulley replaced and a leaking head gasket. Luckily they were all covered. I now have a new problem-a rattle in the steering wheel when the car is in drive with the brake applied. Anyone else have this problem??
  • loucirrus99loucirrus99 Member Posts: 5
    There is a TSB issued for this problem #19-02-99A and was issued Oct.99 for clunking or rattle in steering wheel or column.There is also a TSB for a popping in front end which is for defective tie rods #02-05-98 issued in May 98. Have the dealer check these out and don't let them tell you these are not problems.

Lou
    I had an earlier post about the shoddy quality of my 1996 Dodge Stratus. In addition to TWO head gasket repairs before 50,000 miles (the first at 24,000 miles!!!!), I also had a power steering hose around 20,000 miles. I had new pads, rotors and new tie rods at 55,000 miles. This was my second set of pads and rotors. The dealer told me my tie rods were so chewed up that I was in danger to drive the car with having them repaired. $395.00 plus $50 for an alignment. If I didn't have but another 6 months to pay on it, it would be history.
    I just read my first post and I already had listed all my problems with my Stratus. I guess spending all that jack on a 1996 has me so P---ed off, that I can complain often enough.
  • plamenplamen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Stratus ES and the mad cow disease
    is about the only thing that hasn't happened to
    it yet. Good thing I had the added care extended
    warranty, but I am usually in for the $100 deductibel once a month. I had the head gasket
    replaced, rotors too - except that this time they
    had me. The first time around they tell me -
    oh we have to resurface your rotors. OK. Next time
    (60K mi) - they tell me: rotors need to be
    resurfaced again, but
    they are below specs so we can't do it - you
    have to replace them. Warranty - nope - not
    covered. I also had power steering pump, exhaust
    manifold, front shocks - all replaced. For the
    power steering hose they said the added care
    extended warranty did not cover it and had me
    pay $700 for it. Do you think I can get some
    of it back by yelling at Chrysler? The steering
    wheel rattles alright and yes, they did tell me
    it's normal.
    It's worth a try. I HAD a 96 Stratus ES, I went though many repair bills also (no extended warranty). When the tranny went at 62K, so did my patience, and I traded it in on a 2001 Accord.

A local, independent mechanic (who was recently putting a new tranny in my Dodge Caravan), told me that Chrysler would pay for all (or at least part) of my head gasket replacement (at 50K miles!). Apparently, they extended the warranty on the head gasket to 100K mikes, but of course, they aren't advertising it (it could make them look bad).

I have just begun my yelling to get this paid for. Has anyone had any experiences with this?

Thanks,

Mike
  • lwaterlwater Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Stratus ES. Over the past six months, I've replaced a tie rod, head gasket, catalytic convertor (which, of course, included the rest of the exhaust), wheel cylinder, drum, and brakes. The car has 62,000 miles!

I did not pay the full amount for the head gasket & catalytic convertor/exhaust (these repairs were performed at the same visit). It is my understanding that emissions parts are to be warranted for 10 years. They did not admit any type of extended warranty for the head gasket--but replaced it and only charged for a scheduled maintenance visit. I hope this info helps somebody!

Did I mention I was car shopping? I wish I came here before I bought this car!
  • imkrzimkrz Member Posts: 1
    I feel lucky I just had to replace my first head gasket at 58000 miles ...what a good run I had.
    Luckily I have the extended warranty to 60000. However, that did not help me on the two complete brake jobs I have had so far. Did somebody say tierods? I thought so/ I have new ones as well. It is nice to have this Stratus support group(not for the car but for the poor souls who own one) so we can vent. I have 2000 miles left and then I will get really nervous. Who can tell me what will go wrong next? Stay strong ...
    If you read my earlier posts, you will see that doing the head gasket at 55,000 miles is pretty good. That's when I had my THIRD done. The dealer has had my car since Feb.12 and said maybe it'll be done on Tuesday. They are replacing my head as well as a new gasket, etc. Cal and write to customer service. Chrysler will pay for it if you shout loud enough. Give them credit, they know that they built a lot of crappy cars and are helping us poor Crapus owners. I am looking at a 2001 Civic or Accord.
  • sleddogpasleddogpa Member Posts: 1
    I own a 96 Stratus. I have 237,000 miles on it. The problems that occurred were: a head gasket blew at 104,000 miles and I had to replace the transmission at 136,000 miles, just replaced the fuel pump at 234,000 miles. Overall, I have been satisfied with the car. I had a tow truck smack into the side of the car at 30,000 miles. I wonder if that might have impacted on other systems.
    It's Feb 20 and the dealer still has my car. Now they said that the "galley plug" was bad and they are putting on a new head. This is the WORST car I have ever had.
  • biglebowskibiglebowski Member Posts: 3
    I know this is a stratus post, but since the breeze is esentially the same thing I thought I'd post it here. I have a 1998 Breeze w/ approx. 53,000 miles on it. It is the 2.4 liter engine and recently I've noticed an oil leak. I've taken it to a mechanic and it wasn't discenable to him what the cause was (I'm assuming the head gasket) There is no coolant in the oil and the leak has coveread a large portion of the underside of the car in oil. The leak is about a quart per 1.5 weeks. It is not the drain plug, oil sensor, or anyhting else immediately visible. Has anyone had an oil leak on a 2.4 that wasn't the head gasket? Also, if it is indeed the head gasket, will Chrysler pony up the $600 or so to have it replaced? Should I just contact them directly by phone? I like the car, no problems ever until this, and I'm glad i caught it in time as my oil was way low when I noticed it. One more thing, does the tie rod problem affect the 98's as well? I'd like to know so i can keep an eye on it. Thanks
  • dunejumperdunejumper Member Posts: 2
    i also have the 96 stratus with the 2.4L. head gasket leaked at 48K. chrysler paid for all but parts. then the o2 censor went out. yesterday i had to have the front right side bearing fixed. my wife for sure wants to sell and get a camry or accord!!!!
  • achaulkachaulk Member Posts: 1
    Had the typical problems with the car most others have had:
    '96, 70K, On my 3rd set of rotors and pads. I've resigned myself to the fact that I have to replace them every 20K or so. Whoever was the genius who designed the Stratus' braking system should be sent to bed without dinner for a month.

Had to replace head gasket like most others here. Car stereo started flipping out about 30K ago and now won't work. No biggee. I'm hoping for another 5 years and 50K out of it.

Would I buy one again? Probably not. It's been an O.K. car with some nice features for the money. If they had solved the head gasket and brake problems, I would have been much happier and virtually problem free.
    My earlier posts contain more info, but the cam seals or valve seals may also be leaking. If it is a head gasket, call Chrysler customer service and complain to the cows come home. Chrysler has padi for all three, that's right, THREE head gaskets on my 96 stratus with 55,000 miles on it. There is a townhall just about Breeze oil leaks that you may want to check also
  • rooba10rooba10 Member Posts: 38
    I owned one with 2.4L. Bought it when it had 56K, and traded it when it had 93K with a private owner of a 96 Toyota Camry XLE V-6 with 43K miles, and paid her $6500.

I loved the Stratus. As some people have said, I also had trouble with head gasket at 63K. It cost $550 at the dealer to replace it. No transmission problem. Had the fluid and filter changed as soon as I bought it at Dodge dealer. They say any fluid but Mopar brand will give the transmission excuse to act up!!!

I changed the rotors and brake pads myself, and it cost $93. Never had rotor or pad problems that some people have been experiencing. the 2.4L is strong, and easily cruises at 75-80. I got 31mpg to 35mpg on highway. The suspension could have been better. The engine is rough and growls a little. There is plenty of leg room in the back seat. MUCH more than Accord or Camry. Very comfortable front seats.

Well kept Startus is a good used car buy.
    Rooba10, I must inquire, what color is the sun on your world? Here on Earth we consider head gasket failure, early wear on pads and rotors, short lived tie rods and bad transmissions reasons to avoid cars. Yes, the Stratus, or Crapus as I like to call it, is a nice looking car with a spacious interior, but the longevity and quality are very suspect. I'm glad you enjoyed your Stratus ownership. I believe that you are one of the lucky few.
  • blackgtpblackgtp Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone have information on any problems starting to surface with the 99 Stratus with a 2.4? My mom has one with about 24,000 trouble free miles and I would like to know what is going wrong with other 99s.
  • rooba10rooba10 Member Posts: 38
    I know a lot people have had problems with Stratus, and have voiced their concerns here. BUT, I feel it is just fair to speak up, if the car has been good. I know I had head gasket problem, but that was it.

I changed the rotors with new ones, since I knew it would have cost me more than $93, if I had gone to Midas for rotor turning and new pads. Changing rotors, and brake pads on Chrysler products is very easy.

We also own a '97 Dodge GC LE. we bought it new, and it now has 73K miles. I have spent about $400 of unexpected repairs ( Leaky Transmission selenoid pack, and belt tensioner.

I feel bad for all the folks here with Chrysler problems. I paid $6900 for it in May 99, and sold it for $6200 in Dec 00. I put 38K miles on the car.
  • readlreadl Member Posts: 1
    My 98 Stratus has 80K miles. Brakes were done at 74K and one head lamp bulb replaced at 70K. That's it other than one new set of tires. It's been a fine car. Then, last week my 4 speed heater fan stopped working except when set to the highest position which is rather noisey. I hesitate to take it to any mechanic without first attempting a fix myself. Where do I start?
  • njsruiznjsruiz Member Posts: 1
    ohhh where do I start

I bought my 96 stratus with 16k on it and had the first problem with the windshield reservior leaking.Immediately I noticed the car burning oil and had no idea the head gasket might be the culprit.
    At 25k the front left rotor was replaced and I realized my car had a healthy appetited for brake pads at every 20k.
    At 45k the threaded o ring seal on my gas tank began to leak and almost blew my wife and kids off the continent. There is a 55k emissions warranty that covered this repair.
    At 50k my fuel pump failed and cost me $300 semolies.
    At 65k the exaust manifold was replaced.
    At 72k I began to have fuel injector problems which the dealership nitwitts misdiagnosed.All it happened to be was the spark plug wires needed replaceing.
    And at 120k I developed an oil leak and found out later at 148k that the head gasket has blown.
    Yea, I think mad cow disease is the only thing that hasn't happened yet.
    P.S. And this doesn't include all the factory recall work thats been done on it.
  • jhu2jhu2 Member Posts: 1
    I own a Dodge Stratus ES Sedan, 4 door. I love the car. My Stratus just hit the 41,000 mile mark. I bought it last year when it had 30,000 miles on it. I have only had to make two very minor repairs to the vehicle. The first being brake pads on the front driver side brakes and the second being a belt that goes around the air conditioning (hey Im a woman, I don't know the fancy terms). I had both of these done at the same time and it cost less than $200.00. Besides that, I have been very happy with the car. Plenty of inside room, comfortable seating, lots of head room. It does cost a little bit to fill up the gas tank, but that's expected. Im not driving a Metro here. I am currently looking at replacing this with a 2001 Stratus ES Coupe, 2 door. They look great, but best of all it still carries the same features as my Stratus. I am very happy with the one I have, but if I can get a newer one close to what I pay now, then great......but if not, hey Im happy to stick with my 98 Stratus...It's never let me down when I have stuck that key in the ignition!!!!!!
    Count your blessings. If this message board is indicative of the quality in a Stratus, you are among the lucky few. Mine has not been so good. Good luck with yours!
  • jetdriverjetdriver Member Posts: 4
    I just received the bad news about my 96 Stratus. I need a new head gasket, head and exhaust manifold on a 55k mile car. Appears to be about average from what I am reading here. Of course this in addition to the brake pads I replaced at 22k miles. Oh, did I mention the slipping transmission? To Tason67 or to anyone who knows, what customer service specifically did to contact to get your three head gaskets paid for? What are the chances of getting that number?
    Call 1-800-992-1997 for the Chrysler Customer Care Center. You should also write them; the address is the back of your owner's manual. Tell your dealer you want it fixed for free because of the high number head gasket failures on the 2.4. They may call DCX on your behalf; beleive me, your Dodge dealer knows and DCX knows about these gaskets. My service manager told me he does these gasket jobs all the time. DCX has redesigned the gasket since 96 model year and the replacement should hold. If you can't hold out for DCX to take action, get it repaired at a Dodge dealership, document EVERYTHING and write and call any and everyone at DCX customer service and marketing and complain. Sooner or later, they should reiumburse( sorry for spelling)you. Good luck!
    I called the number you posted. Long story short, the district manager is suppose to make the call as to whether Chrysler will pay for the repairs or not. So our car sits at the dealership waiting to be fixed. Either way the car needs to be repaired it just comes down to who will pay the bill. I can't really afford to have my car in the shop for too many more days. I will put a letter together immediately and send it off to HQ.

Do you still own your Stratus? I am serious considering jumping ship on Dodge, sounds like this car could nickel and dime me to death.

Thanks again.
  • twill84twill84 Member Posts: 6
    I have a relative with a '98 plymouth breeze, has 110000 on it at present, has had very few problems. I dont denie that many people ahve had problems, but, las t year i followed the voyager /caravan /town and country topics for quite awhile. Most of what I read was bad, however, i know several people with voyagers ranging in age form early 90's to 2000's who have had no problems. I guess my point is that there arn't a whole lot of positive comments in a lot of these Chrysler topics.
    Yes, I still have my 1996 Stratus. It now has 56,600 miles ( I bought it new). Frankly, I would love to get rid of it. However, it will be paid off in August and I don't want to pay another note right now. See if your dealer will comp you a rental; I got one the second time, but on my most recent repair, they refused. I complained loud and hard to customer service and the service manager and he promised me a rental next time I have any repair done. I hope I am through with these major repairs. I bought a new vehicle just to avoid this kind of stuff, or so I thought. Good luck with your car. I am betting that DCX customer service comes through for you.
  • steve261steve261 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering a 2000 Stratus ES. According to the reviews I have read, the 1998 - 2001 have significantly better reliability than earlier models. I wonder if they just haven't had a chance to "perform" yet or if Chrysler actually cahnged the design. I plan to purchase a 100,000 mile extended warranty, but I'd rather not spend my life at the dealer!! Any input??
  • namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    To the person commenting about brake failure and the complaints at NHTSA. My complaint is the 1st one you see. The problem is not brake failure but the design and use of antilock brakes in general in traffic. I have never seen antilock brakes that are useful in the leapfrog type traffic you get here in Silly-Con valley. I have seen and heard of these problems with antilocks regardless of brand. They are great on the open road when a deer runs out in front of you but actually take longer to stop a car in traffic.

Over all my Stratus has been trouble free. I am trading it in but not because of problems. It is simply that because of problems with my legs I can't drive it anymore and need a truck for the upright seating position.

The car has been dependable and has not given me any problems at all. Actually there is one slight one. It is Forest Green and it seems that people can't see it. It has almost been hit too many times. That is why the truck I ordered is bright red. (also a Dodge).
  • dcdureldcdurel Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 99 Demo 2.4L Stratus with 6000 miles on it.
    Now we have 29,000. The rotors needed turning once. The mechanic said the pads were only a little used, so he left them on. Other than that it has been perfect.
    Handles great, takes the bumps lots better than my old Dodge Spirit, comfortable and quiet, except for some road noise on rough roads. My daughter has a 2000 Camry, but I like the handling of the Stratus better. The Camry steering precision seems a little vague compared to the Stratus. The 4 cylinder Stratus has better pickup than the 4 cylinder Camry, but the Camry is quieter and seems to get better gas milage. But the Camry cost 21,000 and we only paid 14,000 for the Stratus. (Of course it was a demo) And the Stratus has more room than the Camry. Even fits me, and I am 6'6". No rattles, smooth, powerful. Great car so far. And some writers rate the 2001 Stratus equal to the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.
    Sorry, but I own a 1992 Camry and a 1996 Stratus, and the Dodge is not even close. I am a DCX employee, but the truth is the truth. i wish you luck with your Stratus. Hopefully, the 99 is an improvement over my 96. Can't be worse.
    I have recently received word from Chrysler that they refuse to pay for any of the work on my car. So unless I can figure out where to go from here I will be stuck paying for the head gasket, head and exhaust manifold out of my own pocket (~$1800). Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

On the issue of the Status s. Carry/Accord. I couldn't agree with you more. My parents are on their second Carry and they are head and shoulders better than the Status. They had 90k+ miles on their 1997 when they traded it in on their 2000. They needed nothing but routine maintenance on it (oil, filters, tires etc.) I have heard the same about the Accord. I am actively looking for either a Carry or an Accord as my Status' days are numbered.
    DCX is WRONG to treat you this way. I don't know what your budget is like, but I would suggest not getting the repairs done, contacting your local Toyota or Honda dealer and explaining your problem. Tell them about the repairs you need and get a trade-in value on the Stratus, then select a new or used car. They will more than happy to have your business. A two to four year old Civic should be affordable and reliable. Even if it strains your budget, I say do it;it's better than sinking $1800 into a car that you don't want. That kind of cash outlay locks you into another year of ownership, at least. I had to bite the bullet and get rid of a 93 Dodge Spirit (POS!) on a 92 Camry. I took a $2000 hit on negative equity, but it was worth it. 6 years and 65,000 miles later (had 41,000 when I bought it), going strong without any problems. Good luck!
  • dnr2dnr2 Member Posts: 3
    it's worth checking whether the fuel tank is "breathing" thru the vacuum lines 'n such to the charcoal cannister.

I once had a new car with such problem - a pinched line. Took a while to find!
    I agree with Tason67 100%. Having owned a 1996 Stratus with numerous problems, I finally taded up to a 2001 Accord EX.

I just wanted to add that even though an Accord or Civic (even a used one) may cost more, it will hold it's resale value WAY better than a Dodge. When I was looking for my Stratus replacement, I found that 1998 & 1999 Accord EX's were on avergae only $1,000-$3,000 less than buying a brand new one! While I was hoping to get a late model used one, these prices both convinced me to buy a new one AND to buy one!

By the way, I got $3,000 for my 96 Stratus ES with 62K. It was ALMOST paid off.

Good luck,

Mike
    Just three days after spending nearly $2000 for the new head gasket, head, exhaust manifold, timing belt and plugs my "check engine" light comes on. Apparently the O2 sensor needs replacing. So out the goodness of their heart, Dodge offered to replace it and charge me only their cost for the part (~$67). Now that is customer service, they are picking up the labor costs, probably only about 15 minutes. Game over, show me the door! I wish we were in a better position to get a different car but I don't think I can afford to keep this P.O.S. either. I will be looking for the near same year (1996-1998) Camry, Accord or Civic. Eventhough I will be sacrificing a small amout of room with the Civic this car is not our primary family car anyway. I have looked at the postings in this forum for these three makes of cars and I haven't found the reoccurring problems that you see with the Stratus. But knowing my luck I can find the lemon of this group too.
This discussion has been closed.