Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Axiom

Comments

• Options
    amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    It would get 4x4 of the year... It's ride would be referred to as "spirited".
  • Options
    malsuamalsua Member Posts: 17
    Lol, you're not kidding.

I have a close friend who I work with who has a 98 Durango. He was bitching about his wife driving over speed bumps and how it bungs up a vehicle's shocks. I think he's over-reacting about it..but since my work parking lot has them, I decided to have a bit of fun at his expense.

He was in the back seat so I hit "sport". I decided to hit a speed bump in the lot at 5mph. His head bounced off the ceiling. LOLOL. My question to him "Your Durango that stiff?" Hehe.

He bitched about it for the next 2 hours. heh.
  • Options
    robert122robert122 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone tried to override the volume control on the radio I hate the idea of not being able to turn the volume on the radio at a certain point at 30 and thats it I am sure it could go louder anybody got any ideas.also has anybody had trouble with the garage opener in the ax I have rolling codes on my openers and the ax does not want to program them to the garage door opener i can not get mine to work I have done everything in the book and hit the rolling code button on the garage door opener and it still does not work any help would be great.
  • Options
    reegerreeger Member Posts: 11
    When I bought the Axiom it was a 2002 leftover, brandnew. I traded in my wife's 1994 Mitsubishi Diamante (2k trade-in), so I walked away with a price on the Ax of $20,100. If I were to just try to get the dealer to buy the truck back he offered me $17K (it had 609 miles on it), approximately what the dealer program purchase is for 2003 models, atleast that is what he told me. After some discussions and looking around the lot we had settled on 19K for the truck as long as I took something else off the lot, my payments jumped from $405 a month to nearly $509 (had to toss in the negative equity of approx 3K, plus the additional 6k for the price diff) (more than what I wanted to spend), but also keep in mind the resale values. My bet is overtime the 3K will be recovered via resale vaule, don't get me wrong I think Isuzu's are great, my sister in law has a 96 Trooper with 130K miles and Rancho's at all 4 corners, and it rides great compared to the Ax, and has been super reliable. But I am much happier with the Envoy.

Good luck to all.
  • Options
    sowrsowr Member Posts: 69
    Now I know I'm getting old. Hey, if it sounds clear at 30 it must have a good amp.

I'm one of those Ax owners who has had a perfect trip, no problems at all, the odd easily solved squeak and rattle, but a really good experience, even with my dealer (Sierra, Monrovia). To date (38000 miles)the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned, and I've had them all. Some people think the Ax is wierd, some people think it's awesome. I'm in the latter category.
  • Options
    icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    I actually think the stock stereo and speakers are a decent unit. I have noticed that the loudness can definitely vary based on CD (I know that's obvious but people sometimes over look that aspect). Older CDs I have (late 80's/early 90's) defintely could use a boost, but most of the more recent CD's I own sound pretty good and loud at 30. I am no audio expert (I am sure there is better sound out there), but St. Anger at 30 sounds pretty damn good...even with just the base unit.

I have never driven a Trooper, but now I am curiuos just how much different that ride is than the Ax. I might have to test drive one (I think a dealer near me has a 2002 on still on the lot). I'll bet that truck can be had for next to nothing at this point!!!
  • Options
    blackmadnessblackmadness Member Posts: 9
    I have recently noticed a vibrating squeak, rattle or whatever in my Axiom. It almost sounds like a high pitched bird chirping. It is very annoying and it seems to be coming from the back of the Axiom. I haven't really tried to find it yet, due to time factors. I am ready to start my search though, because it is driving me crazy. Has anybody had a similar problem, if so, where did you notice this noise coming from?

I have recently noticed a good bit more Axioms on the road here in North Carolina. I passed 2 black ones like mine on the same street one day last week. Sales must be better in this area lately.

Thanks for any advice anybody may have on the squeak issue.

John R.
  • Options
    That funny little bird has been chirping in my Ax too...

I'm not sure I have located it yet either...

I know my driver side seat has a bit of a squeak...sometimes I can get it to make the noise by moving side to side in the seat...

I also think there may be a noise coming from the rear...I have read other owners posts that say it's the latch in the back where the rear seat adjustment is (on the side of the car, just below the belt attachment point). I looked into that today...I noticed the metal bracket (visible if you fold the rear seats forward) has some paint scratched off, so there is metal on metal contact there...definitely something that could cause that noise...so as a quick test I put some duct tape around each...I still heard the noise...

I know this much, it only seems to happen when the frame of the vehicle twists...I can get it to happen on demand by backing out of my driveway....

So far it's the only noise I have...I will figure it out eventually, I am determined to get rid of it...
  • Options
    libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    a couple hundred posts ago, I said the same thing.
  • Options
    csangercsanger Member Posts: 12
    I installed Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires on my AX. Better tires than the Goodyears all around. Softer ride, low noise, good handling, way better traction in snow, water, etc.. not rated highly for mud though.

Regarding "spirited ride" I think Isuzu has some real quality control issues regarding the AX suspension. Mine is a real problem yet I've driven one that was a dream. The suspension seems to be worse on some days than others. The dealer says theirs vibrate also. I know they all don't do that. Is it the shocks, assembly of the vehicle? What?

Anyway if they find the problem I'll let you know. Mine rides really bad and I can see why someone would sell. I don't think it's safe this way.
  • Options
    WOW!!! The first negative post about the Axiom since this discussion was created. The world is an amazing place!
  • Options
    dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    Looking to buy an axiom soon (in the next few weeks if not sooner) and was wondering should I hold out and get a new one with the incentives? Or should I just get a used one? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Dennis
  • Options
    You might try a used as you can get them REALLY low; the Axiom has a very low resale value but it is a great SUV. I'm not 100% what a used price is but I would imagine in the teens somewhere for a 2002 as many were sold for around $20K.
  • Options
    I think that your squeak is coming from the rear seats, not only do both upper and lower sections each have a loosely fitting latch (not a quality issue), but also the upper sections are connected together with an axial hinge, and the lower ones each have two hinges, perhaps some grease, or TriFlo at these points may help.

Also you might want to try driving around without your spare (or just throw it in the back). Just as an experiment, that’s the only thing under the rear of the car that should be loose. The other cause may be squeaky suspension bushings, but I don’t think that this is the source of your noise.
  • Options
    sowr...Sorry, I forgot to mention, I followed your (I think you posted them) instructions and removed the rear seat backs and lubricated just about everything I could see. So I don't think it's that. The lower seat latch, however, is something I need to look at a little bit closer...

I checked my spare...it is tight...

Thanks for the feedback...I'll check those lower latches tonight...are those metal to metal connections?
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, what effect does it have on the warrenty,I hear you do not get the full length if you do not buy new.

Dennis
  • Options
    amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    The front seatbelt where it bolts to the seat by the armrest is notorious for squeaking on Rodeos. Century Isuzu fixed my Rodeo by putting a plastic washer under the bolt. When I first heard it I thought it was coming from the back. The only way to tell is to drive without the seatbelt on. My Amigo squeaks as well...

john
  • Options
    Well my first problem cropped up this morning my check engine light came on anyone experienced this yet i have 6500 miles on it so i called this morning for my appt. while they are checking that i will have them change my leaking rear schocks
  • Options
    After checking and taping (yeah, it's not pretty but it works) the "U" brackets the rear seats "latch" to, I have eliminated my squeak!! As I mentioned earlier, I could actually see the silver metal below the paint on these brackets, so I am fairly sure that type of "wearing" had to be the result of movement and that it had to be the reason for the noise...at least I hope so...I am tired of removing my kids car seats to work on this issue!!!!

I used duct tape (silver)...but I think I will remove it and replace it with black cloth tape (hockey tape).

Thanks for the pointers to everyone who responded...

BTW...I still have a squeak in the drivers seat, but I have to bounce around like an idiot to get it to happen (even more bouncing than our sometimes questionable suspension will create!!!)...eventually I will remove the seat and lubricate the visible metal surfaces to see if that will help...
  • Options
    axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    Do any of you experience increased drivetrain noise the longer you drive on a particular trip? I have had my Axiom 7 times at the dealer for that problem now and I have a feeling the dealer does not hear it or does not want to hear it. I have now made an appointment with a regional Isuzu rep to listen to the drivetrain noise. Over the phone the rep says that Isuzu's drivetrain can be heard when working, but I doubt that what I am experiencing is normal for any vehicle (my passengers can hear it too). The longer I drive on a particular trip, the louder the noise, which resembles motorcycle chain in motion.

If you cruise the highway do any of you hear anything other than the engine, wind and tires? It drives me NUTS and I would really appreciate your help.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I go on vacation and somehow the Envoy is gonna beat an Axiom offroad? I think not, the Envoy is the least offroadable truck based SUV out there.

It's sprung and shocked exactly for what you want, a station wagon w/o the stigma... Glad you are out of the Isuzu family, these are purpose built for offroad, not grocery getting!

-mike
  • Options
    Right on.
  • Options
    if it weren't for the Axiom's dreamy exterior styling. Gosh, it was like love at first sight for me, LOL! I love every angle of the Axiom's exterior. I actually do dream of exploring Northwestern Canadian dirt roads so an Isuzu might come in handy. :) I just want to drive on Northwest Territories', Yukon's, and British Columbia's dirt roads not to mention Alberta's. Someday I will get an Axiom and do this. So maybe Isuzus are built for me. :)
  • Options
    What you drive now? I gotta update my webpage soon. Soooo busy :(

-mike
  • Options
  • Options
    At least it's AWD :)

-mike
  • Options
    road with two minature towns along the way in a wagon not made for off-roading. One road I want to take goes from Enterprise, NT to Ft. Liard, NT to Ft. Nelson, BC. It is, I believe, 758 kilometers of gravel road. I also think there are 6 rest areas without rest rooms (LOL, really), a campground, and one small (and I mean small) town (Ft. Liard) on this road.
  • Options
    On paper, it looks VERY scenic. I wonder how I could find out if it really is worth the risk.
  • Options
    Why do you have three Subarus and a Trooper, yet you seem to be a huge fan of off-roading. Why do you like Subarus so much? Why don't you just have the Trooper?
  • Options
    That is the most outrageous post I have ever seen. A GMC kicking the socks off of an Isuzu off-road. Somebody knows VERY little about SUVs (hint; reeger). Believe me, you will return the Envoy complaining about its ride. There is NO truck-based SUV with a ride to fit YOUR criteria. I feel so bad for your Isuzu dealer.
  • Options
    My automotive enjoyments is well diversed. Not only do I enjoy offroading with the Trooper and the Isuzu guys down in the Pine Barrens and Uwharrie National Forest, pics at http://Isuzu-suvs.com but I also enjoy racing: Auto-x and Road Courses. Hence I have 2 subies for that and for sprited driving. The '92 SVX has been retired from the road course after 6 track days, it is now my daily driver. I recently picked up a '96 impreza L that i'm converting to a track/auto-x only car which I tow on a flatbed trailer to events. Pics of my racing and other subie activites can be found on my other web pages at http://TeamIAC.com and http://AZPInstalls.com Here is a pic of the Impreza and Troopa.

-mike
  • Options
    reegerreeger Member Posts: 11
    Neither you or paisan have either owned or driven an Axiom it seems. I have owned an Axiom and also driven many times a Trooper. The guys who designed the trooper must have been on vacation when Isuzu had the clowns come in and engineer the Axiom. The Trooper, which rides great and is a truck is fantastic. If the Ax rode like that then no problem.

Also leave the judgements to people with pratical knowledge and keep your childish insults to yourself.

Also, I drive a Ford F-350 4x4 for work, and guess what, it drives alot better than that Axiom. And you know what else. At more that 12 inches of clearance, I am absolutely sure it would run over the Axiom. Now if Ford can figure out how to make a 3 ton pick up ride fairly descent, why cant isuzu make a truck that they want to compete against, ehem the Kia Sorenta / Hyundia Santa Fe (which my friend has and its great) - thats why they moved it down market with pricing.

It's unfortunate that Izusu did spend a little more time engineering this truck, beacuse they would have had a huge winner on their hands.

Oh, I also recently noticed that the Envoy was good enough to for Isuzu to put its name on it as the Ascender.
  • Options
    GM owns Isuzu, hence they forced the Envoy on them.

I've driven plenty of Axioms. I've logged at least 3-5K miles on them.

12" of clearance on an F350 won't help you when you high-center man, another clue that you are clueless about offroading.

-mike
  • Options
    I have driven the Axiom FYI. Isuzu made the Ascender because they were desperate for sales. I have driven an F350 and it rides WAY worse than the Axiom. Maybe you drove your Axiom in sport mode all the time.
  • Options
    cb70cb70 Member Posts: 226
    heated seats, 6 disc changer with 22,000 miles for $18,500. Does this sound like an OK price? Also is the 7year 75 k warranty fully transferrable to the 2nd owner? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    I know Suzuki's warrenty is but never heard Isuzu mention this. That seems like an excellent price to me.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if the warranty is transferrable...
    I have read conflicting posts.

My '02 has a 10 year 120K mile warranty - they reduced it to 7 years 75K miles with the '03 models I believe.
  • Options
    axaholicaxaholic Member Posts: 8
    Re check engine light.
    It happened to me and I was very concerned since some cars are about ready to overheat and die by the time it comes on. Turns out it was just because the gas cap was not put on tight so nothing is wrong. I heard this is common on newer cars.

I only have 6500 miles and I think my anti lock brakes do not work. The tires lock up and slide at slow or high speeds with even moderate braking. I haven't seen it discussed as a problem so I guess it just needs fixed.

I saw another message about the garage door opener would not program and that is the way mine is. I get the lights blinking at the right time but it doesn't open the door.
  • Options
    I was re-reading old posts and you once said the Axiom is ugly. Has it grown on you or do you still dislike it? I think it is THE best styled vehicle on the planet; if it weren't for its styling, I wouldn't have ever visited this discussion. I actually LOVE the Aztek's styling but it is closer to number 10 on my list of best styled cars (Ram, V70, Montero, and Taurus/Sonata (tie) round out my top five).
  • Options
    They are ok, but it's not astetic to me personally, but looks are about number 100 on my list of 100 items that are important on my list. If a car performs well (for what it is designed to do or for my needs) then it's what I want.

-mike
  • Options
    The link didn't work.
  • Options
    Okay, here's the article:

"The Isuzu Axiom was the award winner in its class, Most Significant Sport Utility Vehicle at the NAIAS.

The 2002 Isuzu Axiom has a strong, solid look, that is highlighted by its large wheels and tires. The body side theme is simple and straightforward, with large wheel arches that extend from the body.

The long wheelbase and high beltline, coupled with slim side glass, give the lower part of the vehicle a large look that overpowers the cabin. The windshield sweeps into the roof and the result is an almost coupe-like proportion with a stationwagon profile. The short and wide rear pillar finishes off the roof very nicely and gives the upper body a structural look.

The front view proportions are also handled very well. With a very wide tread, the tall front is composed of very large and dramatic lower air intakes and the slim wide headlamps accentuate the lower bumper. The rear is also innovative, with unique tailamps that are mounted high on the body. On the interior, the size of the center consol and instrument panel is minimized through the use of two tone.

Overall, the Axiom is very well executed and the Isuzu designers did an excellent job of managing the proportion, skillfully creating a vehicle that looks strong and safe and at the same time stylish and robust. For its size, the Axiom has a larger than life look, a reflection of the Isuzu heritage."

Courtesy of cardesignnews.com.
  • Options
    I agree.
  • Options
    eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    I know you like Cadillacs... the Axiom has that same ultra-cool sharp edged look. IMO it is the best looking mid-sized SUV out there and also has one of the most upscale interiors.

I could see one parked next to a CTS in my driveway.

About the ride - the one I drove was rather bouncy in sport mode, but quite plush in comfort, which I preferred. Needless to say, it was a major upgrade over the 1990 Montero I drive now.

The Ax is also a raging bargain, new or used.... it matches up in price with baby SUV's that aren't even close to it in features.
  • Options
    If I buy a used Axiom (a great deal IMHO) can I buy an isuzu warrenty for it (even though I bought it from a different dealer)? Sort of like Honda and others have for there cars. Also what is the warrenty on a used 2002 Axiom for the second owner?
    Thanks
    Dennis
  • Options
    I totally agree. If they had the same price, would you prefer a DeVille or CTS? For me, a DeVille, but I also like CTSs.
  • Options
    eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    I'd take the CTS. I prefer sport sedans, but my wife drives an SLS.

As much as I like the SRX, I'm still not really sold on cars as SUV's.... as good as they are, they're still glorifed station wagons.

I still prefer to specialize - a sports sedan (with ultra-high performance summer tires) when I need a car and a rugged truck based SUV like the Axiom for its utility and winter capabilities.
  • Options
    Hey Axaholic-come come to find out it was my gas cap that caused my check engine light to come on also my garage door opener still does not work it just blinks when programed. did you get yours to work yet also had my leaking schocks replaced does anyone have a problem with the rear seat latches they rattle a lot and they can not seam to stay tight when i have the dealer tighten them i thing the brakes are excellent no problems with the ant-locks
  • Options
    If you buy a used one the std warranty on the Bumper to bumper portion stays the same. The power train warranty drops in half or equal to the bumper to bumper whichever is greater.

-mike
  • Options
    k2rmk2rm Member Posts: 205
    I thought Axioms were solely sold in the US, so I was shocked when reading an Air Tahiti Magazine (on an inter-island flight in Tahiti) I saw an add (in french) for the Axiom. Sure enough, the address for the Isuzu dealership for the Add was located in Papeete Tahiti. I didn't see any on the roads, but I would say Isuzu does very well in Tahiti. Practically all trucks (that weren't Peugeots) were diesel Isuzu quad-cab trucks (pretty cool looking). There were many Rodeos as well but I didn't see any Troopers.