Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    Were you the original owner of the 2000 Sienna and if so how often did you changee your oil.Also how could the Honda salesman tell that your car had a sludge problem?

We have 82k on our 2000 Sienna and I am hoping it lasts til my youngest gets thru college (7 years away!)
  • hylynerhylyner Member Posts: 216
    The sludge story was blown totally out of proportion when it was first discussed. It received much undeserved publicity in the early 2000s, so much so that Toyota issued a SPA (special policy announcement) in 2002 providing free repairs up to 8 years--provided there was proof of at least one oil change per year.
    Toyota also made a minor change to the PCV system in those engines back in 02 which made them more tolerant of poor maintenance. This helped to minimize the issue even more.
    History has now shown beyond any doubt the vast majority of sludged engines occurred in vehicles which were not well maintained. Owners weren't changing oil at all, or going well beyond recommended intervals.
    A number of other makes were plagued with the same undeserved publicity, for the same reason.
    The so called "sludge prone" engines made by Toyota are reliable as they come--given reasonable maintenance. This requirement isn't any different for other manufacturer's engines.
    Simply put, after all that past furor about it, sludge is no longer an issue.
    It hasn't affected resale values at all for Toyota any more than all those failed Honda transmissions which happened at the same time. The salesman was blowing smoke.
  • jojjoj Member Posts: 6
    Yes, I am the original owner. The oil was always changed at around 5,000 miles, give or take a couple hundred. All my serving was done at Toyota so they could see I followed the manual on oil changes and fixed it for free in 2002 at around 40,000 miles, when it started smoking from the tail pipe and using a couple of quarts of oil a day. It was fixed under the extended 8 year warranty for sludge.

The Honda salesguy did not know my van had the sludge before and I didn't tell him. He was just saying they couldn't offer much for it because it was one of the ones that could get sludge. I didn't feel like getting in a argument with him. I am still shopping around and haven't gotten to a bottom line yet. It just hadn't occured to me that it could lower my resale.

I am not wanting to keep mine any longer. After the sludge, the dealer said I should change the oil every 3000 miles to maintain the warranty, but they were never clear whether they would fix another sludge engine. I don't want to chance it. Other than the sludge and going through tires like crazy, it has been an ok van and has served its purpose. I am ready to move on when my youngest starts driving later this year and I don't need a van for carpooling any more yea!
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    i also have a 00 sienna and change the oil every 4k kms or 4 months which ever comes first. i also have a avalon (same engine) and change it on a similar schedule. The avalon has 160k kms and runs like it was bought yesterday. cheap insurance against engine damage . ofcourse the salesman is going to low ball you so that when he turns around and sells it he can make a bigger profit.
  • jprocjproc Member Posts: 135
    We follow the same maintenance as you ie Oil changes every 5k miles.Maybe I'll switch to synthetic oil next change.I really don't want to buy another car.I'll be paying 2 college tuition bills for 4 of the next 7 years and 1 for the other 3.Don't have the dough to buy a car on top of that so I need this Sienna to last
  • ned671ned671 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Toyota Sienna LE, Symphony Edition with 43K miles. I have had a couple of minor annoying issues with it that I have seen mentioned on this board (squeaky stering wheel; a rattle on the driver side rear door; slow shifts when cold), but nothing major, until perhaps now.

A couple of months back I noticed an "extra noise" under the hood - sort of a thrashy, slurry sound. This is especially noticeable when the engine is cold and I am accelerating at a decent clip. It is harder to notice at higher speeds when the road and wind noise mask the sounds + the RPMs fluctuate less when on the gas. I have taken it to 2 different Toyota dealers and neither seems to be able to find anything wrong with it. At each dealer they claim to hear it - one technician even said it didn't sound that different from other Siennas he had driven. It doesn't sound like the buttery smooth Sienna I paid $25K for!

Just last night and again today I heard a new noise - last night there were two loud "clunk" sounds from under the hood. This happened under acceleration. Today at about 35 MPH and again under acceleration there was a single clunk sound.

The thrashy sound made me think that it could be an issue with the beginning of the exhaust system. The clunk sounds more like a universal joint/transmission issue. I am about ready to take it to a "good ole boy" mechanic, because I have little faith in the Toyota dealers.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Any advice? Thanks!
    dont worry about the engine noise when cold. cold metal is supposed to make a bigger noise than when warmed up.
    the tranny is designed in a way to delay shifting till the collant warms up. so you have nothing to worry about. dont floor the van till the engine warms up.

Jproc,
    if youre doing regular oil changes i wouldnt bother spending the extra bucks for synthetic. my 2 cents.
  • bowmanfamilybowmanfamily Member Posts: 1
    My gas milage has decreased, and I do not know why!

Background
    I purchased a 2001 Sienna in Nov 05 (its now Jan 06). I had decent gas milage (aprox 22 mpg) at first. After getting the 60K tuneup, which includes spark plugs, new air filter, and I had the fuel injector cleaning service done. In addition, I have had 3 emisions sensors replaced, and the valves adjusted (under waranty).

After all the above was done, I expected BETTER fuel economy. Any suggestions?
    its cold out there and usually fuel economy suffers. idling the car for extended periods.
  • lunarmistlunarmist Member Posts: 41
    We have a 2002 Sienna LE, non-power driver's side door with the same "rattle" when going over bumps. I even had the dealer install the rubber edging found on the passenger side power door in hopes of making the "dull, thumping" sound go away. No luck. I think the hinges that have the roller are spring loaded, always wondered if they become loose.

Has anyone had this issue resolved ?

Otherwise, at 45,000 miles we are very happy with Toyota quality.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    You are 100% correct about the so-called sludge problem.
  • mcastillomcastillo Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Sienna CE with 25k mile, I have the check engine light on and went to AutoZone and they mentioned the code was realted to a Purge Valve. Has anyone had this problem? I was reading that a gas cap not being properly seated could be the cause or it could this part that controls the pressure in your gas tank. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
  • osheakjosheakj Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Sienna Symphony is doing the same thing. The fueling nozzle just shuts off after about a gallon if the fuel is going in at a normal flow. It seems to be getting worse over the past 6 months. The repair shop could find nothing wrong, yet the problem continues. Did you have any luck with repairing the problem?
  • mcastillomcastillo Member Posts: 2
    Have you taken it to the dealer?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    not an expert, but that sounds like you are not removing air as the fuel enters the tank. there may be a fuel vent valve as part of the gas tank / fuel system. see if you can't find a diagram of these parts, and point this out to your tech.
  • sienna2002sienna2002 Member Posts: 1
    I am having this issue with my 2002 Sienna. The pump shuts off after about a gallon of gas. I can pump if I pull the nozzle outside the tube and watch it, the gas bubbles up and out if I fill it too fast. HELP.
  • pspolidoropspolidoro Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 Symphony and I was driving it to Vegas and the driver side windshield weatherstip decides to peel back from the channel it is in and is flapping in the wind. I duct taped it down and went on my way.

When I got home I brought the vehicle to Kearny Mesa Toyota and they tell me this is not a warranty item. I asked them for a refund for the Platinum warranty I purchased since it is essentially useless then. Of course I was told no and I had to pay to repair what is obviously a Toyota Defect.

I called Toyota and asked them to cover it under warranty and they refused. I asked the CSR why should I purchase another Toyota when it is obvious that they will not stand behind the quality of their vehicles. All I heard was the static of the telephone line.

Needless to say, Toyota has just sold another vehicle for Honda. Wheres the Quality, Toyota?????
    i'm sorry i can't be of more help.

it's possible that either your fuel filler tube (goes from the place you remove the cap and stick the fuel pump nozzle into to the tank) is crimped, or perhaps there is a problem with a fuel tank vent hose (or solenoid if there is one).

i cannot seem to find a fuel system diagram on the web for a sienna, but i suspect one or the other.

gee the service people don't seem to be trying too hard to locate your problem. maybe the tubes are difficult to get to. i don't know.

good luck.
  • billj4billj4 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2002 Sienna LE (50K miles) and been having check lamp light for past 1000 miles. I thought one of the lamp is not functioning. Recently at the time of oil change at Firestone, they told me that they have to check the engine to find the fault. Thinking of going to Toyota dealer ASAP.
    Pl. keep me updated.
    BILLJ
  • meyerwebmeyerweb Member Posts: 15
    I've got a '99 XLE, which has taillight lenses with amber plastic for the turn signals. At some point in the model run, Toyota changed to clear plastic with amber bulbs. Does anyone remember what year the taillights changed?

(My teenager busted out the right taillight today, so I'm going to try to find a replacement from a junkyard, and want to know what years I can use.)

He also busted the right sliding door handle to pieces. Ah, the joys of teenage drivers. Anyone know a good list of online junkyard parts sources?

Thanks,

Bob
    2001 MY onwards

they definitely look better.
  • paul6paul6 Member Posts: 14
    Which to install? Ceramic or non-ceramic brake pads and shoes?

Did the 2000LE come with or without ceramics?
  • gbtwgbtw Member Posts: 4
    I also have numerous scratches on my 2005 Limited Sienna. I first noticed them about 6 weeks after I purchased it and they have progressively gotten worse. There is some connection between them and the wipers. I have seen very few windshield scratches in my previous 38 years of driving. What I see now is unbelievable. In some lights you can not see any of them and when my friends see them in other light they are shocked. The dealer, Toyota of Nashua, said I must have subjected the windshield to some kind of environmental conditions to cause that and therefore will not warranty it. Wow! What is he smoking?
    Maybe the New High Solar Energy-Absorbing (HSEA) glass is the root of the problem?
  • junpingjunping Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Sienna, 53,000 miles on it. The brake light started to come on/off recently. It lit more often when turing right. Brake pad/fluids are all original and in good shape. Any thoughts?
    What should I do?
    Thanks
    because it comes when turning it look slike your fluids are on the low side. chk it fluids. when was the brake shoes/pads changed. maybe thats why the fluid is low.
    Thanks. I check the brake fluid. It was right on the mark (dashed line between the max/min). The brake pad seems OK too. IT does not make any noise yet. Sometimes it seems better. Do you think that I should try to add a little more brake fluid to just try to see what happens?
    Any thoughts?
    if the fluid is at the proper level, sounds like it could be a level sensor / wiring issue. Is the sensor plugged in properly? Has the sensor incurred any mechanical damage?
    no harm in adding a few drops as long as it doesnt go over the max line. make sure you add the correct type. Better get it at Toyota. my avalon exhibited the same behaviour when the temp gets below 10C and it was just below the halfway line. when i went for an oil change the guy added some fluid and havent seen the light.
    it worked. Thanks. I just added a little brake fluid (Dot 3). The light has not come back ever since.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    If it was repaired by Toyota tell the sales person to screw off. Start using syntetic to avoid any future problems. Sell the van on your own if they try to nickle and dime you. Ask them for proof that it has sludge. Worse case drive the thing till it dies. SInce they sound like they wont give you much why give it away.
    I put ceramics on my 2001 camry and never looked back. If you do the job yourself its under 100.00 for the front end that included new rotors. Although I could have used the old ones they were so cheap to put new ones on about 25 each. The same should be possible with the van. When I asked Toyota how much it would cost to put ceramics on they told me they werent available.

Yet the after market folks had many available for my car.
    My 2001 also has many scratches on the front windshield. Toyota blames sand. But I've been driving for 20 years never had this problem. It appears to me that the windshield wasn't properly tempered. Also I have a scratched driver side window. It appears every Sienna that model year has these scratches. When I brought it up to Toyota during the 36,000 warrenty they blamed sand. We all know better now. Defective glass. One reason I will probally not buy another Toyota. They act like they never seen these problems before. I'm amazed they havent fixed the problem in the 2005's. It astounds me.
    Tell me the scratches in the drivers door glass are at eye level, about 1/4 the way in from the latch side. And are about 7" tall and 2 1/2" wide. I've seen this on a few Siennas.

Our 2000LE came with a defect in the door frame that has caused the weatherstripping to bind tightly against the glass. This has caused grit to accumulate, rather than be brushed off by design, and scratch the glass.

Toyota dealer in Wellesley MA denied this possibility since day one. They did replace the glass and weatherstripping under warranty when new, but the probem persists because of the improperly made door frame.
    Backed into the river last year without disconnecting trailer lights, and since then the rectangular box that converts the cars wiring to the trailer wiring hasn't carried a signal for the brake lights. Other lighting functions work fine.

Can't buy just the converter box, and the wiring assembly is kinda expensive.

Does anyone know what the box does electronically? Is it possible to jumper the brake light wires and, if so, what kind of inline protection should I be adding?
  • dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    Any update for this dash bulb?
    My 99 has the same bulb out.
    I also noticed the muffler has many small rusting spots after I noticed the rusting drops on my garage floor. I complained to toyota about it. They ignored me. It had less than 50,000 miles on it when I noticed it. I went to auto zone and bought some heat-resistant paint. I tried to clean it with sand paper and then painted with this ceramic heat-resistant paint. These small holes/spots have not busted yet at this time. I am just wondering anyone has noticed the same problem.
  • bpendergastbpendergast Member Posts: 8
    Have had to have both front arm suspension units replaced on our 2002 Sienna (88000 kms)Minivan due to the rubber bushes breaking away from the metal component arm. The dealer claims its due to driving over rough terrian but this has not happened. ANybody had experience with a problem like this? Seems like it could be a faulty part??

Photos of units at
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/barrypendergast/sienna/sienna_problem.html
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Now that's timely.

Oh yeah I have experience with this.
    Took my hitherto flawless '03 Sienna to a trusted independent shop to do a "k" service. It's at 46k miles -- 74,000 km -- so I figured we'd do the 30k "severe" schedule and all inspections.

Sure enough, I need new lower control arms left and right, for $144 each (dealer item), because the $10 rubber bushings have failed. They aren't available separately, of course.

My control arms aren't removed yet, but they appear to have failed in exactly the same way yours have; the mechanic showed me how you can push the arm up and down and the metal sleeve moves around the piece of rubber. Pretty stupid design.

I think the dealer is right on with his diagnosis; the part is not strong enough to withstand use in a 4,000+ lb minivan. I don't think you ruined the suspension over rough roads, 'cuz I know we didn't. It used to be my car before the wife took it over, and neither one of us particularly beats up on cars.

I'm gonna keep the old parts.
    As a friend of mine said, "it's a Toyota, so you know there are 150,000 minivans driving around with the exact same problem. It's a car chassis trying to do a truck's job."
    I think he's right; I think it's not the end of the world; I think that in a year or three, there will be a way to rebuild these because more and more will fail.
    If I hadn't asked to check out a weird noise my wife mentioned, I doubt they would have found it. I bet someone will come up with a way to fix 'em cheaper, and then I'll have my original ones redone.

Thanks for your information and commiseration,
    -Mathias
    Thanks Mathias - You are the first to have the same problem I've seen -where are you located? So your dealer admitted it was a design problem?
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm in MI.
    Dealer? I took it to an indy I've been going to for years. And there's nothing to "admit", the darned things aren't supposed to fail... if it's a lousy design, they're all going to go bad early... if it's just a lousy part, it's just yours and mine.

Don't forget that minivans often don't get serviced all that well... mommy's too busy and all that. This failure isn't going to be found on a cursory inspection.

As far as "admitting" anything... admit hell -- the darned thing's out of warranty, it's on my nickel, lousy design or no.

I don't like it, but I accept it, and I certainly won't try to get any money out of either Toyota or the local dealership... I don't trust the mechanics there, so I never go and have no rapport.

The fact that my ATF was black after only 46k bothers me more than the stupid bushings. Maybe I should sell it; at least resale is stellar on these things.

-Mathias
    I see online that replacing these sensors is common for the Sienna, and other Toyota models as well.

Have they been covered under an emmissions or goodwill program yet? At $300+ a pop, these are becoming an expensive item to maintain on our 2000LE.

We've replaced the two sensors on the engine manifolds already, and now need to replace one again.
    Same here brought to dealer prior to 36,000 and he looked confused. I knew that it was something wrong mechanically. All he told me was that sand got down there and scratched the glass in the exact same place as others said.

Denied the fact that this happened too all of the siennas I've seen. They never replaced my weather stripping or window. Just blew the sand out with air. The front wind shield also of low quality glass and scratches very easily. Also the passenger window motor died right after warrenty was up. I've seen this on other Siennas.

This an a few other things, will force me not to purchase another Toyota product.
    We had the scratched glass too - window was replaced - fortunately covered under warranty
  • dmendez1dmendez1 Member Posts: 2
    I bough a 2004 Sienna on June, 2003. Today my unit has 49500 miles. Last week my unit turns on the check engine light. When I went to the dealer, they told me that the computer was registering codes P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305 but the unit does not show any signal of malfunction. They reset the signal light, but 2 days after the signal turns on again. I return the unit to the dealer and after 5 days with the vehicle in the dealer they gave me back the van saying that they don’t found any malfunctioning. Today (two days after) the light turns on again. Do you have any idea?
    maybe there is a TSB on it, for example i found this:
    http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Toyota/1081753200000_1082530800000_EG005-04/51.html

there may be another more recently issued TSB.

see if the VIN is in the expected range for this TSB.

even if not, this suggests the manufacturer had a problem with the coil packs produced and installed in a number of vehicles. your codes indicate misfiring (in every one but one cylinder? you sure you didn't omit code 0306?).

sounds like all they are doing for you is resetting the CEL (check engine light). are they going through all the diagnostic steps to deduce misfiring?

you could have an intermittent wiring problem to/from the coil pack or defective coil pack. then again, it might be something they aren't seeing because perhaps it is occuring when it is raining outside with moisture being kicked up into the engine compartment? ask if there is something they might do to rule out something that occurs as a result of excessive mosture (spray bottle test).

print out the TSB (all the pages of it), and bring it back to them.

hope it helps.
  • dmendez1dmendez1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot. I hope that this information may help me.
    If any 2001/2202 Sienna owners get a chance to inspect the rubber bushings in their suspension assembly (as seen on attached photos) in their Siennas it would be appreciated. Bear in mind we did not have any warning that there was a problem - no vibrations or bumps. It was only found when the dealer was dealing with the front brake pads at 88000 kms. A previous maintenance inspection at 72000 kms did not reveal any problems. We were told this was potentially dangerous to drive with this condition.

Photos of units at
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/barrypendergast/sienna/sienna_problem.html
  • chacagochacago Member Posts: 4
    Need some responses from 2003/02 sienna owners who have pulled boats. I'm going to be pulling between 2500-3000 lbs. Yes I know I should have an SUV but I have a van please only replies from expierences, help would be appreciated.
  • surfhawaiisurfhawaii Member Posts: 2
    Deepan,
    I just found your post.
    we have the same thing on our 2000 sienna since new.
    i think that this causes the van to wander and other things.

what did you do to fix the problem?
    Wayne
  • hwolfehwolfe Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

I've recently bought a used 2002 Sienna, and I have 2 questions on noises:

1. There's an intermittent noise coming from my steering column that occurs occasionally when I steer in either direction. It sounds a little like a spring winding or some wires moving around. Anyone else experience this? Know what it is? Is it something to worry about?

2. Both power windows make noises - but different ones. The driver side makes a buzzing sound going down, but is quiet going up. The passenger makes a similar noise going up but not down, plus on one occasion (when it was raining) made an alarming scraping noise, as thought the glass was getting scratched. Both windows operate at just about the same speed going up and down. Anyone else experience this? Something to worry about? Anything to do about it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hank