Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Axiom

drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
Any info on availability? and any info on road test information?

Thanks.

Comments

• baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    My local "super" dealer says 4-1 first vehicles, they are getting preview and rides in Dallas in March. Good look available at SUV.com. More info on Isuzu New Vehicles forum. This SUV looks really nice if you want a pavement runner instead of a gas guzzling boulder jumper.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    There has been some decent discussion about the Axiom over there. I posted some details of an article I read recently, in which the president of American Isuzu was interviewed and quoted.
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    Check the March 13 issue of Auto World Weekly, they have an extensive write-up of the Axiom. The Engine is a 24-valve, DOHC, 3.5 liter V6 with 230 horsepower @5,400 rpm. They've got the MPG at 16/20. Isuzu hasn't announced prices, but they're estimating a range of 25K to 33K.
  • hottoddyhottoddy Member Posts: 2
    Thought it looked better in person. It was a nice metallic, gold color. The front end is a bit "Robocop," but I like it. Real small headlights. Maybe an early dealer release. Didn't think too much about this suv-car until I saw it in person.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    They haven't even announce pricing on it yet.

-mike
  • tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    I went to the Isuzu dealer today and saw one. Pretty interesting vechicle, the base model came in at about 26K. I really liked the digital information screen which controlls a/c, radio, clock, temp, etc.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Sat in an Axiom today. Who designed this interior?
    Power seats with no up and down adjustment or bottom cushion tilt? That is just plain stupid. Also the was NO room for my right foot (size 12). I could barely fit it inbetween the brake and the accelerator. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Otherwise it was a decent vehicle, but these GLARING shortcomings take it off my list.
    GAM
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I saw the first on the street in my area today, a nice charcoal color, it is sweet.
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    Exterior.
    It is curvy than my '99 Passport, nice one-piece rear hatch, I can live with the front grille, bigger wheels with lower profile tires. Looks more modern than my Passport.

Interior.
    Ride height, seating position and ergonomics are carry-over of my Passport, everything felt very familiar including the lack of thigh support which I made custom cushion to support my thighs, the power seats had no height adjustment (which I believe should be available for a power operated seat). Front cabin has nice curvy arm rests but the space seemed to be smaller than the angular interior of my Passport. Relocated switches are the following; rear wiper and washer, power and winter mode. The fully automatic HVAC is excellent and the information display center is a nice touch, I believe it can be tweaked to receive navigation upgrade. Sound system are better. Rear seating positions and space seemed similar to my Passport. The rear cargo is narrower but longer.

Under the hood.
    Everything is arranged similar to the Passport except that the engine is a little bigger and an additional TOD computer module is located at the place where the clutch master cylinder should have been.

Ride and drive.
    I expected the power, esp on starts from stops to be ample but my Passport felt quicker and more rev-happy (a 2001 Rodeo with ISC that I test drove also felt quicker). It may be that the weight increase could have something to do with it or it could be that the engine has not been broken-in. The ride is nice, same as the Rodeo with ISC, soft on the bumps and dips with controled dives and sways. It has a normal and sport mode. I like the normal mode better, less road harshness but still with good dive and sway control. However, when I got back to my Passport with Monroe-matic plus shocks, I could not really tell if the ISC has a definite advantage over the Monroe shocks.

My Passport felt lighter and quicker in comparison but I never noticed from the Axiom any thumping sound when swifting / stopping / accelerating. Such is a welcome surprise and should be.

Inside "plasticy" soft rattles are about the same to my passport. I never thought that I fixed the interior rattles of my Passport to this level.

I believe it will boil down to driver's taste since the Axiom and Rodeo has price overlaps. However, the TOD may be the tie breaker for those who wants a no-brainer drivetrain (esp. female drivers).

My two cents.
    Drove a base Axiom with intro pack and roof 2 days ago. Thought a little disappointing acceleration from reputed up but could be tight engine. Also a bit over noisy while winding. Overall finish, details, fit were just fine. Drove Anthracite 4x4 base model (didn't personally like color), really want to see AS leather before making a decision. Dealers know nothing except info on delivery invoices. After much digging my best quote to date on AS 2wd @ 26,850, hope to do much better.
    What's the web address for the Isuzu owners club.
    The Edmunds owner's club is easy click above on the "select topic" section and go to "owner's clubs" or http://isuzu-suvs.com has a link for it. isuzu-suvs.com also has a lot of links, FAQs, How-tos, and Aftermarket Parts links.

-mike

Spokesman for Edmund's Isuzu Owner's Club.

• flonyaiflonyai Member Posts: 6
    I had the chance to test drive an Axiom. I am moving into the 4WD fad ( quite a bit late) and I am looking for a vehicle that would give an interesting look (no doubt the Axiom with its SUV-wagon underspinning would qualify for that) and decent off-road capability what it's my main goal.
    My first impressions were very positive. I did a great deal of research at the Isuzu site were recently were posted relatively good technical information and 2 new independent reviews were also posted.(Interestingly enough, no one has a brochure.)
    First the front "cowcatcher" was a bit unusual, but it got friendlier each time I looked at it. The truck (car?) sidelines are eye-catching and Isuzu designers have put a great deal of effort into the rear tailgate. It seams nicely detailed. What was very impressive it's the interior design. Slightly narrower than the similar category, but good architecture made it almost irrelevant. Its hip room is 2" narrower than the JGC, but it felt even "roomier".

The Axiom comes with a lot of features. Even the base model is equipped with accessories than on other models (like JGC, Ford/Mercury) are good for several thousand more on extras, such automatic A/AC, 4-way power seats, I SC, automatic transmission mode selector.

As I mentioned before I would be a first timer for an Isuzu. If some one can share experience about the engine reliability and specially on how efficient is its TOD on off-road and if it the lack of full time 4WD is a disadvantage.
    I have TOD on my Trooper, and I rarely ever take it out of the TOD mode, which does an initial torque split of 85/15 R/F and varies it up to 50/50 if need be. That combined with the rear LSD, provides excellent on and off road traction. I used my Trooper to traverse a 200' long driveway at about a 35-45 degree angle with 1.5'-2' of snow. Funnny thing was I initially tried it using the 4wd Lo mode, and got stuck, switched back to TOD and it worked like a charm. The TOD would fluxuate the power back and forth from front to rear axle as I powered on the gas, and got me up the hill w/o a problem. On road in the rain, snow, sleet and what not the TOD has been excellent for me especially in Upstate NY this past winter. With the reduced ground clearance of the Axiom as compared with my trooper, I wouldn't try driving through the 2'-3.5' snow banks that I did with my trooper, but other than that the Axiom should provide excellent on and off-road capabilities.

So in conclusion, the full-time 4wd of the TOD coupled with the 4wd-Lo range, should provide excellent on and off road handling.

-mike
    Thanks Mike.

If I understood well the TOD can be used as a full time 4WD/AWD even on dry regular surface road without any ill effect on the power train system. That sounds pretty good. What about the V6 engine oil usage? It sounds almost scary that a sophisticated engine as the 3.2/3.5 engine can consume 1 Q/1000 mile. My current car is over 65,000 miles and it goes from one oil change to another without any add-on oil.

Frank
    Yes, in fact the TOD system is always engaged on the Isuzu Vehicross (2 door similar chassis as the Trooper) so leaving the TOD engaged all the time is fine. This gives it a permenat AWD system, with the option of going to 2wd if you want. So far i've used 2wd only on long interstate trips where there is little traffic. i felt the 1mpg hit I took on the gas milage was worth it for the traction of the TOD system.

As for the oil consumtion, it's completely hit or miss. Of all the 3.5l owners I know, about 25% have oil consumption problems. I was burning about 1Q per 1200-1500 miles. After 10K I switched to synthetic and now it goes through a quart every 2500 miles. I just check the oil @ every-other gas fillup and it gives me a good reason to check under the hood. If you fish around the owners area you'll see that most everyone feels that since the other quality attributes of the Isuzus are so great, that the oil consumption isn't really a problem. Compared to say the warped rotors of the JGC and the tranny problems of the Durangos. Most likely you'll get one that doesn't burn oil at all. :)

-mike
    Thanks for all the information. I visited the owners' site and I found a lot of useful information. Is there a discernible difference between the 2 ISC modes? Considering the short test drive, switching between the 2 modes I didn't sense almost any difference and the road surface was kind of uneventful to show the potential differences.

I'll keep posting my impressions on the Axiom.

Frank
    I noticed the sport mode to be harsher/stiffer. Although it made it more stable @ speeds in excess of 90mph. When I ran it w/o the sport setting on ISC, it handled well, but was more confident over 85-90 w/ the sport setting engaged.

-mike
  • sundance_goldsundance_gold Member Posts: 19
    As our family has outgrown our one car, we're buying a second car this month. It has not exactly been an easy process either--since most of the cars and SUVs being offered seem to provide more lessons in compromise instead of a solution to finding the perfect automobile.

I was somewhat hoping to find an SUV that didn't ride like a Ryder truck and cost more than the house I grew up in. However, the two SUV's that I've really liked, the Axiom and the Highlander have one very big limitation: terrible interior color selection. The leather on the Highlander can only be had in a buttery (shows every piece of dirt) beige and the Axiom can only be had (either cloth or leather) in a color that reminds me of cooked carrots.

Isuzu and Toyota should be given a slap on the wrist for this faux pas. The Axiom looks great in dark grey...until you open the door.
    Isuzu doesn't have the economies of scale that Toyota affords. With a small production level (I believe only 25-30K Axioms this year, and 10-15K Troopers sold in the US) Isuzu can only afford to produce with limited options. Personally I'm of the function over form type. So if it's ugly but does what it is meant to do, I'm more than satisfied with it! The value that the Isuzu vehicles give are outstanding so one has to ask if they want value or astetics. Of course the Toyotas are great reliable vehicles, but you are gonna pay for them through the nose. I'm sure that Toyota will sell ever highlander they produce this year, but I'd still go for the Axiom for the towing, frame, and longitudinally format of the engine/drivtrain as well as the TOD/AWD system.

-mike
  • isnipdog1975isnipdog1975 Member Posts: 1
    Mark Peralta or drmp
    I am interested in How you customized the thigh support for your Isuzu seat cushions. I am having the same problem in most foreign cars that I test drive. I am very interested in the Axiom, However I am not going to spend $30000 on a vehicle with the same issue as my current car. Mhenson@garycsc.k12.in.us
  • drmpdrmp Member Posts: 187
    Somebody asked me the same question on another board and I gave my answer here;

http://forums.vmag.com/suvrodeo0300/messages/5250.html

Anyway, I took a test drive on a Pathfinder LE with 8-way power seat and the range of adjustability is perfect for me, it also has very nice car-like ride and with very strong engine.

I read somewhere that the 2001 Passport EX-L has power seat and I plan to take a look on it. Maybe I'll order driver power seat for my '99 Passport.

• zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    I took my wife in to see the Axiom last night. The "blond gray" was like a silver with a hint of gold. It was really nice until we opened the door and saw the sweet potato cloth interior. How could they do this? In any event, the salesman knew nothing about pricing, color selection or for that matter, anything else. I was impressed with the shape, roominess and stature of the vehicle. It should not take much for Isuzu to include some different colors of upholstery. The question is how do we get the message to them? Do they read these postings, I wonder.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I think the new Axiom is just plain cool looking. However, after reading some things, I'm not so sure about the build quality. Do they squeak or rattle? Are they noisy inside? What about the fit and finish?
    The one I test drove had the fit and finish on par with the MDX and Toyotas. Only time will tell how they stand up. They've only been @ the dealer for 3 weeks, so we'll see what happens down the road.

-mike
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    A buddy of mine just bought a new XS 2WD Axiom, and really likes it. The dealer had wanted $2k over sticker, but he was able to get it for $500 under MSRP. I believe the color is the blond gray someone else referred to. The interior leather doesn't match the car very well, IMO, I see people here referring to it as cooked carrots or sweat potato, I was thinking it looked more like a new baseball glove. But it is pretty orange! Is that really the only color you can get it in? How do you people think these things will hold up? My buddy and I both have newer model Troopers and have had great luck with them, although he has a buyer for his. He has a 2000 Landcruiser too, and is hoping to go to the new model Trooper when his lease is up, which is in Dec. 02. Will the new Trooper be out then? If not when is it coming?
    Should be out spring '02 or winter '02-'03 so your buddy should be fine.

It will have:
    V8 Isuzu Engine
    3 Rows of Seats
    TOD

Probably other stuff too.

-mike
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    Mike, do you have any spy shots or anything? How big will it be? More info on that V8? Maybe I should take this to the Trooper thread eh? LOL! Hey, what's your website URL again?
    At least not as of now. I'd guess it's gonna be about 10" longer, maybe a foot. And have at least a 4.7l engine. Hopefully DOHC.

-mike
  • robzielinskirobzielinski Member Posts: 2
    I drove 2WD Axiom Basic model today. From outside it was funny looking. Inside a big and a good surprise.
    It has a good room in front and on the back seat.
    It looks like higher class vehicle, with a some expensive features. I liked the drive as well.
    It was a pleasant first experience with the new kind of SUV. I will drive the 4WD version next and make my decisions.
    Does anybody know if Axiom has the Overdrive system? I couldn't find any switches for it.
    Thanks for your attention. Rob
    All isuzu vehicles have an overdrive system. On all the Isuzu automatic transmissions, it has a 7 position gear selector:

P-R-N-D-3-2-1

When you place the gear shifter in "D" it will be in overdrive mode allowing gear 1-4 to be selected. If you place it in "3" you will only get gear 1-3. Winter mode when engaged will start the car in 3rd gear so as to not cut the wheels loose on take-off from a start on wet or icy pavement, @ 20mph winter mode will kick off. Power mode will move the shift points from about 4500rpms up to close to red-line for perkier shifting, and better acceleration.

-mike
  • robzielinskirobzielinski Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Mike. Rob
  • isuzudave1isuzudave1 Member Posts: 4
    To Zeen - I know Isuzu workers read the board - so keep up the conversations! As for the interior - the cloth is the most 'challanged' - with the leather being more acceptable. I have heard of people who love the Axiom and it's value so much they by the vehicle and go to "Classicsofttrim.com" for a leather pkg to put on the cloth model. I've heard of someone doing a 100% charcoal inside - so don't let the interior sway you - after all the exterior look says you like to be different. Or we would ALL buy a bland Highlander...
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    Well isuzudave, as a Highlander owner and a realist I'll grant you that the Highlander isn't the most exciting design I've ever seen. However, I don't equate wanting to be different with accepting the disgusting front end of the Axiom. The Axiom is a sportier looking vehicle but I just couldn't see past that front end. Looks like somebody got so disgusted with the front end that they threw up on the interior. To each his/her own.
    I thought that there was also a charcoal color interior available for the Axiom, it looks to be that way at www.isuzuaxiom.com. I love the dark gray color with the charcoal interior, especially the XS model.
    My Isuzu dealer said he would call when the brochures came in. No call yet. The Axiom arrival seems way ahead of the marketing folks as far as brochures and educating the salespeople. In any event, if the cloth interior is in fact offered in charcoal, that would be great. I can't imagine that Isuzu couldn't arrange for more than one color cloth. The other alternative is Pep Boys seatcovers for $19.95.
    Axioms on the lot! I have been waiting to see this vehicle for months and took the first test ride in Kansas City, it was still not fully unpacked for demo use. As posted earlier was quoted 26.5 for a 2WD XS. A base 4WD is about the same invoice so should run about the same. Demo dealer salesman called tonight (again). Said vehicles were not selling, he thinks buyers are waiting for 0% financing--he had no insight if this was going to happen. I saw the blue and green colors and to me they're bad. Anthracite is fine, but not for me. White is real nice, again, not for me. Blond grey is fine if available in matching interior. Was not impressed with leather interior, not worth asking price IMHO as part of package along with sun roof. I am also concerned that the aggressive, very exposed nose, grille is going to be subject to easy scratching, damage. Hope an owner with some drive time will share with us.
    I really like the new Axiom, but having an experience with the first generation Honda Passport (My mother's), I can't say that I would be happy if I brought the Axiom, I'll have to wait awhile. The Passport has been nothing but trouble for us since day one, with constant squeaks, rattles, brake problems, and speedometer problems. I will say that that SUV is really fun to drive when you get passed the noises. I really hope that this SUV is an improvement, because I sure like it.
  • bobcatbobbobcatbob Member Posts: 187
    Maybe the vehicles not selling shows that people are a bit fed up with being charged premium prices on new vehicles.

Or, maybe people just really hate the Axiom.
    Well, they are trucks, trucks are gonna rattle and squeek. It's the nature of the beast. Unless you are ready to pony up $58K for a Toyota Land Cruiser, don't expect them to be completey rattle free. My '97 Rodeo went 120K w/o ever visiting the dealer, yes it had some rattles, but it never stopped and it drove like the day I bought it.

The axiom is getting closer to that car-like ride and they filled it with lots of noise deadening material, which will give it that more solid feel, but it also porked it out a bit weight wise.

If I were shopping for a highlander, Escape, Outback, All-road, X-Country, or Min-van, I'd seriously consider the axiom.

-mike
    Well all car manufacturers with a few exceptions are giving discounts now that the economy is in the bathroom currently!

-mike
  • schulhofschulhof Member Posts: 71
    Paisan,
    You may remember me, I sometimes hang out on the Trooper area.

Here is my depressing Axiom tale.

On the way from work I pass my local Isuzu dealer.
    This is back on March 22. What do I spot...the new Axiom. So I park the car and hop out and take a look. Turns out it is the base 2wd model with cloth.A friendly salesman comes to talk to me while I climb all over it as best I could (it was up on ramps and locked). I let him know I was a browser, not a buyer so we made small talk about it and he did not open it for me. It was a very attractive dark blue, and overall I was very impressed with it. I recall back on March 22 I said to him "So do you think it will last the weekend?".....my point is - it was the first one they got, first of a new model, no large dealer markup, and it is still sitting in the same spot today!!!

Oh yeah....and they also have a yellow Vehicross sitting forever with a 0% financing sticker in the window!!!

Why arent people buying these cars? While I admit the Vehicross has limited appeal, it sure should be cool and rare enough for someone to snap up. And I thought the first Axioms would sell immediately.

I am baffled, my '96 Trooper has been PERFECT. Now at 82k miles.

I look at people driving FOrd Explorers like they are lunatics.

FWIW

-Eric
    Eric,

We feel your pain. Maybe it is the Isuzu marketing, or the fact that Americans are generally sheep that follow the pack right to the slaughterhouse! With the Big 3 having a major safety recall on all their trucks last week you'd think that would help!

-mike
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Hi all. I posted this in the Trooper room since there have been a lot of discussions about the Axiom there and I thought I better post it here too. I ran across a site that is giving away an Axiom and thought some of you might want to try your luck.

The website is http://www.winanaxiom.com/

• raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Today on your local PBS station or speedvision at 7:30 and 11:30 EST. for those who don't get speedvision here's a link to your PBS station guide http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/stationlist.shtml
    Check out the CarandDriver.com site for a somewhat negative review of the Axiom
    10pm-11pm EST Isuzu Chat Tonight!.

-mike

http://isuzu-suvs.com

• jglasmannjglasmann Member Posts: 13
    Overall the styling doesn't look bad, however the front end is definitely a turnoff. The Axiom front end styling looks very similar to the front end of the new Old Bravado. It makes me wonder if CM had their hand in the styling of Axiom.
    It's been around for about 4 or 5 years with the front like that. I don't think it's a GM influence.

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I didn't realize that GM was an affiliate of Isuzu:

link

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards