Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Axiom

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Isuzu is 49% owned by GM. Luckily it hasn't effected them too much :)

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Glad that wasn't a trivia question in Friday Freeway tonight :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I would've had it!! LOL Who won tonight?
    Well, thanks to your absence, ahem, yours truly is two for two :-). It was actually a pretty close game right down to the bitter end. I haven't seen your name on the leader board for a while paisan .

Steve
    Host
    I figured I'd refrain from getting onto the leaders board, didn't want to show you guys up :) J/K I have been workin late :(

-mike
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    Hope the best for Isuzu because they've got a hard task selling the new Axiom MO. I've got a '99 Trooper which I am pleased with, but I feel Isuzu missed an opportunity to deliver a much improved vehicle with the new Axiom. A hot new SUB should be selling like hotcakes when first introduced (i.. Highlander, Xterra, etc.) Essentially, the Axiom uses the same drive train as a Trooper (15 more HI), but just has a slightly different interior & unibody mounted to the frame (which I think comes only second to the Pontiac Aztec in butt-ugliness. Maybe the design stems from the same guy from Fruitville, CA design studio). The only on-paper advantage I can see is less vehicle curb weight and slightly improved HP which may yield slightly better fuel mileage and performance. This is what the Axiom should have added over a Trooper: independent rear suspension (Montero has this), rear seat option, flip-up tailgate instead of barn doors, V-8, 5 spd automatic, improved A/C with rear vents. Why is Isuzu afraid to offer this - I know they have it in them?
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    I'll have to be more careful with the new spell checker format which changed good spellings into bad.
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    Would add that three of available 6 colors are UGLY, interior color both cloth and leather poor complement IMO and grille looks like an invitation to a body shop. Sorry, I was really prepared to pay out and buy this on first impression (before seeing and driving). Too, seems over priced compared to Trooper which also has 0% financing, nothing on the Axiom. The two largest Toyota dealers in KC last week had a grand total of 2 Highlanders between them last Saturday, can't keep 'em in stock. Of course they're getting top $$$ as well. I expect to see the Axiom discounted big time when they start to run out of space and holdback time frame.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    At my local Isuzu dealer here in Southeastern PA, the Axioms are piling up and they still have the first one they received about a month ago. The colors aren't that bad but they all have the gold/salmon cloth upholstery. Looks like incentive time.
    Just came from the NY Auto-show....

About this time next year we'll see the new Trooper:

V8 Isuzu engine
    3 True Rows of Seats
    Boxy, but a bit curvier.

Hopefully they will retain the 70/30 split doors. We checked out a ton of SUVs there. The new Monty is nice, but pricey, and the Rear door swings the wrong way (toward the curb) and is HUGE compared with the 70% door on the Trooper. Rear seat room was only better in the TLC. Headroom and seating position was far superior than even the TLC, the only one with more headroom than the Trooper was the G-Wagon and Mini-vans and Vans. The Moonroof is also bigger than any other SUV on the market, all the rest seem to have roof vents, not moonroofs.

-mike
    If the Sheep of the US don't buy the Axiom it's their own fault. The Axiom rides like a car. It has a Rodeo chassis + Trooper driveline. It's also 2" lower than the rodeo which gives it much better on-road handling and riding than the Rodeo. The 17" rims also give it a better ride as well as the the ISC rear suspension which gives it excellent on-road capabilities, it may not be IRS, but it gives you the best of both worlds. A solid rear axle provides a higher towing capacity, while the rear ISC and coil springs provide a softer ride. This truck is meant to compete with the Highlander, Escapes, Tributes, and other mid-sized SUVs. And it does it better than the rest for significantly less. If you start adding up things like Low range Trany (not available on Highlander and Escape) skid-plates, and other amenities, you'll see that the other manufacturers nickle and dime you to death, the Axiom fully loaded is easily $5K less than the competition, not to mention the 50K bumper to bumper warranty and 120K powertrain (worth at least $1-$1.5K)

The reason for the small selection of colors and interiors is that Isuzu isn't a mass production shop. If you look at the other manufaturers they can provide tons of colors and layouts because they have the economies of scale, whereas the other manufacturers produce more of each color than Isuzu produces of a whole line. I for one know that I'd take any isuzu product over a Jeep, GM or Ford product. Think about it, last week, Exploder recalled the rear glass, they didn't torque the bolts on the rear hinges enough, so they are loose and they cause the glass to break. The front lower control arms are cracking and causing these vehicles to come apart, and last but not least, the Dodge rams have latches that hold the hood down coroding on 750K+ trucks causing the hoods to fly open! Jeep vehicles have a major recall on their front rotors, and durangos have tranny problems from what I've read on edmunds...

Just another case of the american public not opening their eyes...

-mike
    Paisan: your're probably correct, however, of all the interior colors they could have chosen, they picked about the worst. I honestly think it turns people off to the vehicle. I happen to think the body is a very nice design and the reviews, while mixed, aren't too bad. On the Highlander board, people are complaining about wind noise and other issues and there are numerous complaints about the Escape/Tribute. I think SUV's and these crossover vehicles are simply trade-offs. They can't be perfect in every category.
    In any event, are you writing from Italy or US?
    NYC actually.

-mike

http://isuzu-suvs.com

Thanks Paisan. I had thought that those flags signified the country the message was coming from and I couldn't believe that people in Italy were following the Axiom.
    You can select your country flag by editing "My Profile" (towards the top of the page) and filling in the country box:-)

Steve
    Host
    Isuzu's 2002 Axiom Offers New Type of Sport Utility Vehicle
    Steve
    Host
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Will be gone from the US market if this last gasp of innovation fails to pull people into the showroom. Axiom is a 3/4 step in the right direction. New Trooper is nice, but they need to work on smaller, car wanna-be models if they want to survive. Should go the opposite way and toss aa full-sized pick-up based on the Trooper out there as well.

-beanboy
    They can't do a full-sized pickup. They put the engines in the GMC HD (Duramax Diesel) and GM owns 49% of Isuzu, can't have them cutting into their bread and butter.

-mike
    On Isuzu's website, there is only one color cloth or leather offered on the Axiom. That seems to be the official word. Hopefully, that will change. All we need is a nice grey and my wife would consider it. But with this orange/gold hue, it's out of the question.
    Zeen, for about $300-$600 you can probably get your dealer to have the seats re-covered. There will likely not be an optional interior for a year. You shouldn't let the color of the seats stop you from getting a great truck.

-mike
    Paisan:
    Paisan:Sounds like you work for Isuzu.

I test drove the Axiom today and was very impressed. I might be able to get used to the seats. Unfortunately, there are no lease deals. I have 6 weeks left on my existing lease so hopefully there will be some financing deal coming up.
    The suspension had a great feel, the engine was powerful and quiet and it just felt great.
  • jaymarcjaymarc Member Posts: 15
    Went to my dealer in Richmond, a and test drove a Axiom fully loaded with tan leather, or should I say ugly tan leather, as it appeared that this color was left over from 30 years ago, with the black trim didn't do a thing for me. The ride was sluggish and very poor acceleration, as well as being very noisy underneath which makes the ride very tough. Not sure if "Joe" did his homework on this one, but it sure looks like they definitely missed the boat with the SUV since there are many others out there that perform and look better!
    I don't work for Isuzu. I actually work on wall street.

-mike
    Hmm that's strange, all the reviewers and my seat Dyno tells me it is anything but sluggish..

-mike
    I guess it depends on what you're used to. I drive a '98 Bravada with the 190 hp V-6. The Axiom was substantially more powerful, smooth and quiet than the Bravada. The suspension seemed to smooth out the bumps without feeling too mushy.
    Now, I also drive a BMW 528 and the Axiom doesn't come close to that.
    Record-breaking Isuzu sales.

Steve
    Host
  • schulhofschulhof Member Posts: 71
    Got a look at the Axiom I was interested in today. The XS with leather. I am very impressed.
    I would trade in my '96 Trooper on this if my wife would allow it! She however wants a third
    row of seats before that will happen.

I like both the interior and exterior treatment of the vehicle.

I have noticed they appear to be moving NOT AT ALL at my local dealer. The first one they got
    is still prominantly displayed 5 WEEKS AFTER ARRIVING! In addition to that, here in the
    LA area I have not seen one on the road yet!

I am suprised, I sure like what I see. And it would take alot to pry my Trooper away.....
  • flonyaiflonyai Member Posts: 6
    I read almost every day postings on this site. I really enjoy comments of people who have broad experience on this brand which I don't have, but I like the Isuzu name. I think they represent good quality, a great deal of useful features and functionality and great value. I methodically searched and analyzed all 4WD vehicles and realy I haven't found anything even close in the around $30 thousand range. If you move up to mid 30's or above, than the selection becomes much larger.
    I have been following closely the introduction of Axiom. I have had it for several road tests. I haven't found anything comparable to the Axiom in road handling, ride quality, potential off-road prowess in this price range. Clearly, it's box-section framed truck and that has some drawbacks, but on the other hand multiple benefits as well in off-road capability, longivity and overall structural rigidity.
    Considering all of this, it's very surprising to read about other people's experiences that Axiom doesn't appear to move from the lots. I also read the last posting mentioned about the Lafayette meeting with Joe Isuzu where a dignatary mentioned that Axioms are being snatched from the lots. On the West Coast I don't see any sign of it.
    I am very much interested in an Axiom. But I am not in a hurry. And despite of being not my primary selection, if there is no financing incentive, I will go to the Trooper because it's a tremendous truck and the LS would cost about $5,000 less than a no-financing Axiom. If the difference is as big, people start thinking, including myself, about the value benefits.
    One solution would be to take away the 0% financing of the Trooper or Rodeo, but that would not help the overall sale numbers, or the other solution to offer some financing on the Axiom like 0.9%, 1.9%.

I think the Isuzu brand is way underrated, and as it was mentioned before me, it doesn't fit the Sheep mentality and that may be a contributing factor to poor sales. Pure marketing I don't think will help too much. It wil boil down to numbers.
    Don't expect to find the massive Trooper discounts of the past 2 years on the 2001 models. From what I've seen dealers haven't been ordering them in the bulk as they did in '99 and '00 (I noticed '99 had tons extra, and '00 less so) In the MY03, they will be introducing the new Trooper sometime next spring/summer. That will be about $32K selling price (about $5K more than the current Trooper LS model) and have V8, 3 rows of seats and be slightly curvier than the current Trooper. Once this comes around, the 28K axiom will stand squarely between the Rodeo LS (the LSE model will likely be dropped next year) and the Troopers. I personally would have minded paying $30K for my Trooper, even though I got it for $27K, it's *that* good.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have a 99 Trooper S. One of the reviews about the truck referred to some of the interior as being robbed from a 1970's Datsun parts bin. It is somewhat true, my gray interior and door handles are all hard plastic, much like my Dad's old Datsun B210. However, I am really happy with the durability, the plastic interior handles a lot of junk being stowed in the rear and scraping the sides. I find the Isuzu, well at least my Trooper S's, interior extremely rugged and functional; what I was looking for.
  • schulhofschulhof Member Posts: 71
    I have found it very intersting comparing the
    Trooper board here to two other in particular
    that I consider to be competition, Land Rover and
    M Class.

The LR and MB owners are bitching and whining about their trucks falling apart, while the Trooper owners comment on the quality and value of the vehicles and wonder why no one else is buying them.

My Trooper (1996 with 83.5k) is great, but I really like the Axiom. Seems it is "right sized", for what I need anyways. My Trooper is a big fella'.
  • flonyaiflonyai Member Posts: 6
    It looks like one of the options mentioned yesterday became a reality today. Isuzu no longer offers financing incentives for West Coast (could be across the nation?). I am very interested how it will affect the sale of the brand. Hopefully, they do well, because in reality good competition does well for every one.
    The local dealer here in Eastern PA told me all incentives ended on 4/30. He expected new ones this month. Given the pile up of Axioms on the lots, they should expand the incentives to the whole line.
  • axiomaticaxiomatic Member Posts: 2
    After weeks of checking and hoping for price reductions on the new Axioms, I finally gave in. The dealer took about $1K off the sticker price. Seems some of the Axioms on the lots are already spoken for (possibly an internet purchase). So supply may not be as abundant as it seems. This Anthracite Axiom is extraordinary. Lots of stares and compliments. The lumbar seats are incredibly comfortable. After considering the Tribute, 4 Runner, Montero and Santa Fe, we went with our initial choice. The base model has just about all you could want, but we added the intro package for the moon roof, mud flaps, trailer hitch and chrome side moldings. It feels great driving it and just looking at it. I'll be surprised if it's not a hit; but if it's not I won't care cause I have mine!
    Send me a pic for http://isuzu-suvs.com also check it out for all kinds of info. Check out the Isuzu owner's club and our chats on thurs evenings.

-mike

Been shopping for months and from first info thought Axiom would be perfect. After driving it (and every other mid size) decided that for me a Trooper is a much better buy. (Paisan please see my new post on Isuzu dealers and pricing) If I can get the right deal! Also feel that Pathfinder (from Canada) would make a great vehicle. Dealer said they had not sold ANY new Axioms (in a month) and that nobody else in town had either. He thought people were waiting for 0% to be offered.
    I test drove the Axiom and was quite impressed. I told the dealer to let me know if there are any incentives or lease deals. I got a call the other day. They can't move these vehicles and there are no incentives coming. I suspect you can buy one at close to invoice now with the dealer keeping the holdback. The base model which is pretty much loaded except for leather has an MSRP of $29,000. At the invoice price in the low $27's, it's not a bad deal...as long as you can get used to the color of the cloth.
  • winnyvwinnyv Member Posts: 30
    I wonder if the Axiom will eat oil like other Isuzus eat oil?
    Well so far only about 25% of the people with Isuzus claim to be burning oil. I'd say roughly the same amount will be burning oil on the Axiom since it has the same driveline as the Trooper. If that is the only problem with the vehicles, that is a very good thing. Besides the way I look at it, it's a good excuse to look under the hood @ every 3rd fuel stop.

-mike

You can buy a quart of oil for $1.50. If you have to add a quart every 1000 miles, it's really immaterial relative to other operating costs such as insurance, gas, maintenance etc. Think of how much people pay for a coffee at Starbucks.
    Still shopping Isuzu. Got fairly chummy with out of town but nearby dealer (owners son) and he offered me a base 2wd at invoice plus $200. $25,062 or base 2wd with intro pack at $500 over, $26,779. Note that his invoice cost coincided with KBB info, not Edmunds which is about $1,000 less. Another dealer offered an XS 2wd at $500 over, cost $26,858. This is strange because KBB shows cost as $27,019; Edmunds shows $25,887. There is a similar difference between Edmunds and KBB on Trooper invoice cost, Edmunds almost $1,200 lower
    Chat tonight @ 10pm here on Edmunds! Link in the Owner's Club Area.

-mike

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I test drove an Isuzu Rodeo about a year ago and remember that it kind of quivered when going over speed bumps.

Does Axiom do this?
    Now I see how crappy car makers (Isuzu) stay in business-because people like you accept their lack of quality.
    Ok, I challenge you to put an Isuzu against any other SUV in it's price range and compare quality $ for $. Now if you pull a toyota out of your hat that costs 2x as much, yep, I give, you won... Even Consumer reports who HATES Isuzu rates them as one of the most reliable, highest quality vehicles in their class.

-mike
    Although we don't have "kill files" on Town Hall, it's easy enough to skip messages and continue with the topic at hand. (oops, too late for paisan )

Steve
    Host
    I guess for people who can't afford the "better" suvs,Isuzu is the way to go. Boy am I glad I make a good bit of money.
    If I could afford a TLC I'd get one, but at exactly 2x the price of my Trooper, I'll skip it for now.... Also my trooper has the LARGEST moonroof available on any SUV including MB, TLC, etc. etc. And was the first one in the US to offer power retracting mirrors. It is also the only one that gives you variable heating power seats (there is no setting 1,2,3,4,5) it's truely variable (a heat and a hold setting)

-mike
    Don't steer that Trooper to sharply or you'll also get slung out of that big sunroof when it starts tipping over.
    I've had it at 115mph and it was quite stable. I drive in NYC all the time, and if driven properly you can drive it like a ralley car w/o flipping...

-mike