Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GS 27..? Scratch removers under $10?

jaclazjaclaz Member Posts: 37
We're not talking waxes or polishes or cleaners here...I'm curious what you all use to take out scratches? Zainobros, fairly spendy and I'm not familiar with Zymol, is it a wax? They sell GS27 here in the sticks, $9.00, anyone used it before to rid the paint of abrasions?

Sooo..., what inexpensive products will take Purrs abrasions out of the finish on my '00 MitSu Eclipse?

Thanks for posting, Jack

Comments

• pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    I've used it, and if your scratches are minor little surface scratches, it will take them out. So will rubbing compound. If they are deeper scratches then the entire tube of GS27 won't take it off.
  • mike_542mike_542 Member Posts: 128
    I tried it, but was not impressed. Most cheap (under $10) scratch removers such as GS27, Mother's Step 2, or Kit Haze Remover just fill in the scratch. It will come back again.
  • bigfeetzbigfeetz Member Posts: 1
    I sure won't recommend GS27 to anyone I know. The only thing it removed for me was the 10 dollars from my wallet. I've actually gotten equally good results removing minor scratches using cheap white toothpaste like UltraBrite on a damp cloth.
  • rooba10rooba10 Member Posts: 38
    I tried it on my '95 charcoal Geo Prism. It did not work. The best scratch removal I have ever seen is 3M swirl mark remover, part# 39009 ($7.50 for a 16oz. bottle or KIT scratch remover($2.50).

The GS27 did not work and I returned it.
  • jaclazjaclaz Member Posts: 37
    I've seen a few tins which speak to taking out scratches but some mention clear coat safe while others don't, some mention hand use while othes speak to buffers. Anyone try these?

I may even try toothpaste to see if that has any effect, anyone done this?

Thanks for posting, Jack
  • bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    There are a wide variety of products on the market that act as a compound and can do things like remove scratches and oxidation. But care is needed in selecting and using these products. Companies like Meguiars and 3M offer wide product lines for both consumers and pros so check out their web sites first.

Toothpaste is a mild abrasive and will work in some instances. If the scratches are more serious then professional body work may be needed. There's no way anyone can accurately tell you what product or technique to use without seeing the damage firsthand.

I'm not suggesting these items will work for you, but for me I've used 3 different compounds and polishes over the years. For most problems I've had excellent results starting with Meguiars #2 fine cut cleaner followed by #7 show car glaze. If the scratch is more serious I start with a 3M pro product called DRX65 which starts aggressive and mellows out.

3M swirl mark remover is between Meguiars #2 and #7 in aggressiveness and works great with a buffer.

Speaking of buffers, you should use a milder product if you're using a rotary buffer since it will generate plenty of heat and work the product hard. Stay away from wool pads unless you're willing to sacrifice your paint job.
    Works really well!!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Even cigarette ashes!

If it's a deep scratch nothing will help, because the surface has been destroyed.
    First, I used Sensodyne and applied it on a cotton applicator pad and wiped it on. It was very sticky and some cotton came off the towel when I wiped it. So, I sprayed some Quik Detailer and the job was much easier.

The results? No more swirl marks and a well developed bicep. Oh, and yes, a Winterfresh smelling 100% terry cloth towel.
This discussion has been closed.