Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Which Hatchback?

Comments

• muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Wow, I am glad I don't own a Rio or an Accent - horrible, I will summarize:

G = good
    A = acceptable
    M = marginal
    P = poor

Car - Front/Side/Rear
    Versa - G/G/G (SAB)
    Yaris - G/G/M (SAB)
    Fit - G/G/P (SAB)
    Mini - G/A/M (SAB)
    Aveo - A/M/P (SAB)
    xB - G/P/M (no SAB)
    Yaris - G/P/M (no SAB)
    Accent - A/P/P (SAB)
    Rio - A/P/P (SAB)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, that moves the Versa way up on my list, along with the Fit (although I am hoping an all-new Fit with better rear crash protection and seating position is available before I have to buy one). Very good showing for the Yaris with SABs also, although there are other reasons it's not high on my list. And it takes the Accent off my list, which is unfortunate because otherwise I like the car.
  • canuck785canuck785 Member Posts: 160
    it is probably a dumb question, but considering that english is NOT my 1st language...(french is)
    is SAB standing for safety air bags?????
    or side air bags?
    wow, i am really disppointed about the accent! :(
    according to those tests, the versa would be the " best" choice huh?
    but in CR dec. 06 issue, they were saying that the versa had the worse braking distance they had seen in a long time...(without ABS- apparently difficult to find on that car)...
    i am really confused now... :confuse:
    which car am I gonna get???!!!! :mad:
    SAB = side air bag.

The Versa with ABS would be a good choice for safety, but as you noted, ABS is hard to find right now. So other good choices are the Yaris sedan (note that the hatchback wasn't tested), if you can get it with the optional ABS, or the Fit. Another good hatchback for safety would be the Rabbit, and you can even get it with electronic stability control--another good safety feature.
    about the rabbit...i just receive the brochure yesterday... comes with a CD and the brochure is pretty nice too. i have been looking for prices around here and they are all 20,000$ and more!! (yeah the rabbit, not the golf...)so i dont think that is gonna happen! :)
    i just dont like the FIT, the inside is great but the outside is just not to my taste.
    I wish i could find a versa to test drive, who knows i might like it better than the accent.
    after seeing my posts on other forums, you must know by now that i would never buy a sedan! :surprise:
  • germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    Not sure where you live but there are plent of $15.5K 2-DR Rabbits around me. Also, VW just announced their $199/mo lease deal on Jetta's if interested.
    thanks for the info, but i'll stick with hatchbacks ;)

i did re-check today on autotrader, and in a 100 miles radius,(i am in kansas) and the lowest i have seen was 15.620$...as i said before, most of them are really more like 19-20k and that's is without any fees...a little above my budget.
    besides, where i am from,(quebec, canada) volks are really everywhere (most cabs/taxis are jettas!) and i can't say that the cars have change enough over the yrs for me to be really enthusiastic about them.
    Not a lot of VW dealers in Kansas I'll bet. To get a good selection of the base 3-door Rabbits, you may have to go to a big city. To get an idea of how they drive, you could drive a 5-door with as few options as you can find, then if you like it you could search for the 3-door.

Fits and Versas (with ABS) are pretty hard to find also.
    you are right, not a lot of car dealers, PERIOD! :mad:
    i am actually in rural kansas..the closest "city",(5000 ppl) is 30 miles away!
    there are 3 chevy dealers that are pretty close, than all the other ones are in lawrence (which we test drove the scion xa, accent and yaris) and then kansas city where you can get any make.
    Looks like a "test drive extravaganza" weekend in KC might be just the thing! :) I know folks from outstate Minnesota and Wisconsin who come to the Twin Cities to do that all the time--much better deals and selection possible than in the smaller towns.
    LOL!!!
    well, KC is about 60-90 minutes away, not all that far, but with the heavy traffic, I am not sure i would enjoy testing a car! ;) plus, the service tends to be different in "the big city" than in a smaller town :)
    Topeka is about the same distance and offers pretty much all the makes too. I have noticed that a lot of ppl around here buy their car over there, more so than in KC.
    One factor we were considering was that even if we get a better deal, it is still far to drive to get the car checked if something goes wrong.
    so far it is looking really good for the Accent, :shades: which is 45 minutes away (not bad) plus the salesmen were very pleasant to deal with when we took it for a drive.
    I can say the same thing about the toyota/scion ppl, very nice too. the guy at Honda was really the typical car salesman and to be honest, we found him pretty annoying and really pushy, enough to avoid that dealership.
  • germancarfan1germancarfan1 Member Posts: 221
    I wouldn't buy a car or not buy a car based solely on the salesman. If the salesman is bad, ask for another one. You are the customer afterall.
    i totally agree with you, a salesman doesn't "make" the dealership, but when you are only TEST DRIVING a car and you already told the guy that you are NOT ready to buy but comparing cars at that point and yet he goes back and forth to his boss to evaluate your present car (that he saw in their parking lot) and tries to get ALL your personal infos + credit rating in a really pushy way. that ANNOYS ME! and obviously, a sales tactic that is approuved by that particular dealership.
    the car we test drove was too expensive for us, we made sure to tell him that BEFORE we drove it and mentioned that we would be interestd in an older model...did he hear us?
    i don't think so because he kept trying to sell us a car that we could not afford!
    anyways, i did not like the car that much (an element)
    I understand that they all have a job to do (cars to sell) but ticking off potential client is not a good way to go IMO.
    If you must get an Accent, you might want to wait until next month. I have a feeling that rebates will be returning on that car soon.

Also keep in mind you can have your car serviced anywhere. So even if you buy it in KC because of better selection or price, you can have it serviced at the dealer nearest you (or by some other mechanic, or even yourself if you are up to it).
    that could be a possibilty too.
    we just dont like to go to KC unless we really have to.
    the purchase has been now postponed to at least mid feb. :mad: :cry:
    the way it is going, I might be able to enjoy spring rebate :P
    as i just posted on the yaris vs accent discussion,
    i got some insurances quotes yesterday and i was in for a shock!!

yaris : 54$/mth
    versa: 63$/mth
    aveo: 68$/mth
    accent : 81$/mth

with all these new infos (insurances plus the latest crash test results) i am starting to change my mind in favor of the yaris, even if i was NOT impress after the test drive.
    wow, it has been really quiet here!!!

so I guess I can reply to my own post :P
    I bought my "new" car this w/e

finally decided to go back to my 1st love and got myself another JEEP cherokee limited.(my 3rd Jeep)
    i coudn't be happier with it :)

thanks for all the great infos I got on this forum!!!
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    finally decided to go back to my 1st love and got myself another JEEP cherokee limited

Wow! :surprise: From considering a Yaris 4 cylinder to a 4460 lb. Jeep Cherokee Ltd. 8 cyl! Did you not say that you were concerned about gas prices? The Cherokee is rated at 15 city / 20 highway.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "finally decided to go back to my 1st love and got myself another JEEP cherokee limited.(my 3rd Jeep)
    i coudn't be happier with it"

Congrats, I assume you mean the Jeep Grand Cherokee, since the Cherokee has been out of production for a number of years. ;)
    Looks like a new Elantra hatchback is on its way...

ukraguy, "2007 Hyundai Elantra" #1378, 21 Feb 2007 11:49 pm
    You should get your facts straight...
    the CHEROKEE never was made in 8 cylinders, the GRAND Cherokee was.(also in 6 cylinders) and I never said it was a 2007 i said "new" which is true because it is new to me, it is a 2001 (which was the last year the Cherokees were made) limited edition with low mileage . I am getting 19-20 mpg so far with a 6 cylinder 4.0 liters which is not that bad but I agree it is not 35+ mpg
    My way of looking at it is that I paid half the price for the Jeep that I would of for a Yaris and yes I pay more for gas but at the end of the month, my car expenses(loan plus gas+ins.) are still pretty much the same.
    I did change my mind, I admit that, and last time I look, it was still permitted. :surprise:
    I did like most of the small cars I looked at but finally decided that I wanted a Jeep again for the room and the 4x4 so I could bring my familly and both my bigs dogs in the same vehicule.
    in my opinion, it is still important to do some homeworks and try many options, in my case I just decided to stay with another Jeep since I was extremly satisfied with the 2 other ones I had before. At least now I know I made an "informed" choice because I did try other cars out there and did not buy another Jeep "just because".
    I am very happy with my decision.

on an ending note: why in the world would I be looking at 10k cars for almost a year and then go buy a Grand Cherokee that retails at more than 25k???? :confuse:
    thank you! :)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "You should get your facts straight...
    the CHEROKEE never was made in 8 cylinders, the GRAND Cherokee was.(also in 6 cylinders) and I never said it was a 2007 i said "new" which is true because it is new to me, it is a 2001 (which was the last year the Cherokees were made) limited edition with low mileage"

Actually, your post didn't say "new" either. Sorry for the mis-understanding, I think most people assume we are talking about new vehicles unless one says "used".
    why in the world would I be looking at 10k cars for almost a year and then go buy a Grand Cherokee that retails at more than 25k????

Good question! I didn't mean to offend, I was just astonished at how your search ended. But, now I understand that you meant a used Jeep, which as you say was new to you. It's all in the eye of the beholder!

p.s. what kind of dogs? I've got two myself and this also affected my choice of car; mind you I wish there were dog-proof covers one could attach to car seats.
    I apologize in advance for being "off topic" but i would like to answer this post. :)

well, you'd be surprised that I have been asked twice in the past 2 weeks
    "is jeep making those cherokees again??"
    my truck looks new, inside and out and because of the color, slate blue, which is not that common versus red, white or black. for ppl that are not familliar with the fact that the production ended in 2001, they could easily think it is VERY recent. :shades:

one car that is known to be dog lover's favorite is the honda element. rubber floor, removable seats and tons of room!

I have a 100 something lbs black lab and a "regular" size blonde lab.lol with an insane love of water, clear water or muddy water, it doesn't matter to them! ;)

look this seat cover up:
    http://www.collectionsetc.com/Item76095.aspx

if link doesn't work try this
    www.collectionetc.com
    Pet Car Seat Saver - item #76095

i think it would work, without spending a fortune!! let me know!

hope this helps! :)
    Pet Car Seat Saver - item #76095 ... i think it would work, without spending a fortune!! let me know!

What a terrific idea! I've used towels and bedsheets to cover the back seats but still find dog hair (and believe me two Shetland sheepdogs have lots of hair) on the back of the driver and passenger seats. This item should reduce that problem. Thanks fellow canuck!
    see, Jeep owners aren't that bad!!!! :P
    I checked out several small hatchbacks at my local auto show today, including the Astra, Caliber, Fit, Rabbit, Spectra5, SX4, Versa, and Yaris. The Fit, Rabbit, and Versa continue to impress: the Fit with its efficient packaging and origami seats, the Rabbit with its quality and safety features for the money, and the Versa for its incredible amount of rear-seat space and available high-end features like Bluetooth.

I thought the Caliber has quite a nice driving position, and some clever storage nooks. Otherwise I really don't like that car--its cheap interior bits and its chunky styling are the main reasons. The Spectra5 has a few tweaks for 2007, with the biggest perhaps being improved crash protection, but otherwise I see it as overpriced for what you get (from what I've seen of the new Elantra hatch, there won't be any reason for me to look twice at the Spectra5). I sat in a base SX4 and it seemed a good value for the money ($15.5k) since it has AWD, but it also seemed very spartan compared to others in the class. (For that same money, I'd take something like a 3-door Rabbit, Versa SL, or Elantra SE orany day.) The Yaris had 3 gloveboxes and the rear seat had commendable leg and headroom for such a small car. But it shouted "CHEAP LITTLE CAR!" and, when equipped with necessities (for me) such as stereo, ABS, side bags/curtains, and a 60/40 rear seat, it costs about the same as some much nicer cars like the base Fit, Versa S, or Elantra GLS.

I was really impressed by the new Astra. There was a red 3-door and silver 5-door at the show. Both were locked, but I got a good look at the inside of the 5-door and it looked very sharp--very European (well, it is an Opel). The 3-door is a looker, and the 5-door is reminicent of the Versa but better rendered IMO. On paper, the Astra looks good too: standard (?) OnStar, side bags/curtains, ABS, ESC, 1.8L 140 hp engine, and other goodies. If the car drives as good as it looks in person and on paper, and Saturn can keep the price reasonable, I think they have a winner in the Astra. In fact, of all the automakers at the show, I was most impressed overall with Saturn's offerings--Astra, Aura, Outlook, Sky, and the new VUE all looked strong against the competition.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Backy, the Astras, did you see cupholders in them?
    No, but I didn't look for them and the viewing angle was such that if they were in the center console, I wouldn't have been able to see them. I'll bet the folks at Saturn realize cupholders are a requirement for cars in the U.S. today.
    There is no center console either, is there?
    There was this black thing sticking up from between the front seats; it looked suspiciously like a "center console". The parking brake lever was sticking out of it. If you had told me beforehand that it was really important to you to see what the cup holders and center console look like on the Astra, I might have looked more closely. Maybe someone else who sees the Astra at an auto show can tell you more.
    I didn't see any when they were first unveiled to the US market. I just wanted to confirm, as I thought what I saw were both pre-production.

At any rate, it looks like no cupholders/center console. I know I am being some picky but I really prefer those features ;)

Thanks!!
    Here's a photo that shows the center console on the car pretty well:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-saturn-astra-1/153913/

And here's a photo that shows three cupholders. The question is, are there additional cupholders for the front, e.g. in the recess in the center console--that recess is not very visible in any photo I've seen?

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2008-saturn-astra-1/153923/

I'll bet you want to run right out and put your order in on an Astra now! ;)
    is coming soon--the all-new Impreza hatchback. There are several photos here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/gallery.aspx?section_id=31&article_id=12768&gallery_- id=6098&window_id=1&seq=4&section_prefix=autoshows&cnt=4

Looks like Subaru is ditching the "wagon" label this time, and the car clearly looks like a hatchback vs. a wagon. In profile, it looks very much like the new Elantra hatchback, but the front and rear are distinctive. Notice how the frameless glass, a Subaru hallmark, is absent.
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    The back looks fine; too bad the front is just butt ugly.
    At least Subaru axed the hideous tri-grills; those were really ugly.
  • chicagogitonchicagogiton Member Posts: 18
    I looked at a Yaris again, then a Rabbit. The VW dealer didn't have a manual Rabbit to test, so just going by initial impressions. To get the Yaris anywhere comparable to the Rabbit option wise, the Yaris would be $14620, according to Carsdirect.com.
    The Rabbit is $15630 for a base model. At least from sitting in the Rabbit, its MUCH nicer than the Yaris. No flimsy bins, full instruments, etc.
    Against the Rabbit, much worse gas mileage, VW's spotty reliability record, poor customer service record, worse resale value.
    The Yaris has a funky charm, but for 1 grand, a much nicer car, but worse mileage and quetions with reliability. Once again on the fence...
    If you are buying a car to drive it, buy the Rabbit. If you are buying a car to save money on gas, to have a lower probability of needing to take it into the dealer to have something fixed, and to sell it in a couple of years, get the Yaris.

Keep in mind also that even maxed out, the Yaris hatch does not have comparable equipment to the Rabbit.
  • allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    you've probably purchaced the car by now, but how about the toyota martrix?
    The Matrix is not a bad choice...but I have a bit of an unusual requirement for a car, it neesd to be SHORT in length for easier parking in the city. The Yaris is 150 inches long, the only thing shorter to my knowledge is the Mini at 145 inches. Then the Accent at 160 inches, and the Matrix is 171 inches, getting a bit large for tight urban parking.
    For most areas of the US car length isn't much of a concern but here (Chicago) it makes the difference on whether you find parking fast or circle around for an hour, following people walking with shopping bags in the hopes that they will get in a car and free up a parking spot.
    Maybe I should wait for the Smart, which is truly tiny... :)
    an unusual requirement for a car, it neesd to be SHORT in length for easier parking

Agreed. I think this should be an important selling feature of cars (and so it is in Europe) but here in North America the tendency is to go big so unfortunately this is overlooked. The Nissan Versa is an excellent choice for size, utility and parking. A curious fact: a hatchback is often shorter than its sedan version. Case in point: my Protege5 hatchback which is shorter than its sedan cousin.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "but I have a bit of an unusual requirement for a car, it neesd to be SHORT in length for easier parking in the city."

Considered a 1st generation Scion xB? Overall length of 155".

The new Scion xB is quite a bit larger at 167". However, a current 2-door Rabbit is 166" so no real difference for parking considerations (probably mirror placement and turning radius would be bigger considerations).
    I test drove both back to back, Versa then Rabbit.
    The Versa reminded me style wise of modern French cars, which is no surprise, it has Renaul relations...I liked to goofy triangular windows just behind the windshield, cabin much more upscale than Yaris or Fit. Good visibility. Drove...OK, nothing special.
    Then the Rabbit. I felt like I was in a much higher price category. So many details differentiate it from the other cars in its price range, incredible heavy duty door hinges, hydraulic struts propping up the hood, most upscale interior, great interior lightinig. Love the VW Emblem hatch with a little electric assist opening the hatch.
    Firm controlled ride, better multi link suspension, torquey at low speeds, but not much gusto after 40mph.
    A nice upscale small city car.
    Its a car you really want rather than tick off reasons for practicality. The 5 speed action felt just like my friend's MINI, it may be the same manual tranny in both. Oddly, the nicest manual of all the cars I checked out lately, Yaris, Civic, Corolla, Rabbit, Versa, Fit, Accent was...the Yaris!
    So, fully aware of possible reliability issues, and inferior gas mileage, I am initiating a purchase of a Rabbit. Its the only car in this category that made want the car, rather than just justify the car as a practical choice.
    My only small gripe is the drab color choices for the Rabbit. Its supposed to be VW's youth model, why not make it in bright candy colors? Like the Renault Twingo, for example...

I wish they would sell the Fox
    and the Polo
    here in the U.S.

I live within bus rides of 2 VW dealers and there are private VW mechanics near, benefit of being in a large city. So reliability be damned! :sick:
    The Polo is a neat little hatchback. If VW brought it over here, they could position the Rabbit vs. the higher-end compact hatches like the Mazda3 and leave the Polo to duke it out at the low end vs. the Yaris, Fit, Accent etc. And the Polo could have a small engine for excellent fuel economy, vs. the big I5 in the Rabbit.
    The Yaris seems like it should be called "Rabbit", its light, cheap, cutesy.
    The boxy artist formerly known as Golf just doesn't seem bunny like. Its austure all black interior lends it more to names like " VW Vault" or how about a Wagner reference, the "VW Walkure"? Pissed off immortal war goddesses seem to go with the car more than furry woodland creatures. :shades:
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    [The Rabbit is] a car you really want rather than tick off reasons for practicality.

That's exactly why I *didn't* buy a Rabbit/Golf. At that price point, there are just too many good solid cars that are every bit as good and sell for less. A neat car, a classic hatchback, but too expensive.

I regularly see a Polo near my home (in Fort Worth, Texas, some 300-400 miles from the Mexican border) with Mexican plates. I don't see it frequently, maybe every few months. And every time I do a double take, try to figure out what it is, see the plates and go, "Oh, that car..."
    One of the other considerations in buying any car is insurance costs. I live in Chicago, downtown, and insurance is extremely high and differences between insuring different models is exaggerated here. I can't figure out why, but Hyundais of any stripe are wildly expensive to insure here. I ran quotes via Geico, my provider, and State Farm. In both cases it was MORE to insure an Elantra that a VW GTI! Also, an Accent was much more to insure than a Rabbit. Doesn't make any sense to me... :confuse:
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    It's likey the buyers and not the car. Insurance companies profile...and the system works for them.
    It's likey the buyers and not the car. Insurance companies profile...and the system works for them.

Do you mean driver profiles?

My understanding is that insurance rates are based on statistics including cost to repair following accidents, incidents of theft, and popularity. One of the costliest cars to insure is the Subaru WRX, partially because it is frequently a target for theft. I wonder if the Accent rates poorly because of its lack of ABS as standard equipment.