Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Owners-Meet the Members

13»

Comments

• ritzolaritzola Member Posts: 1
    Can some let me know on the new Odyssey, if you slide the two second row sets together, can you get three kids cars seats on them? If not how do you get three kids car seats in without having the third row of seats up and losing all that cargo space? Thanks in advance. Rgds.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    No you cannot fit 3 car seats when the 2 rows are together - there are only 2 seatbelts/latch attachments.

We have friends who pulled out one middle seat and have their infant on the remaining one and on the rear seat they have 1 in a car seat and 1 in a booster.
  • buddyzunigabuddyzuniga Member Posts: 63
    I would like to know how to respond to a specific message that has been posted, so that I can possibly help someone in need of an answer. Sorry, I'm knew. Thanks for the help.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The Town Hall discussions are in linear format, so the only way to reply specifically to a particular member is to enter their screenname in the title of your message.
  • cpswaterboycpswaterboy Member Posts: 4
    Just bought my first Honda. Didn't get the Honda extended warranty. Any clues on which direction to go?
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    There is plenty of opportunity to buy it (from any dealer in the USA, up thru 3yrs/36kmiles), so you need not rush or worry. I found a great deal on-line about a year after buying my '02 Ody.

Steve
  • salsasalsa Member Posts: 20
    Hello, I own a 2003 Infiniti. I love the way it looks and drives, but I only drive about 2,000 miles per year. I spend much more time as a passenger in my wife's 1996 Odyssey. The Odyssey is much more comfortable than the Infiniti for the passenger.

Now, I'm thinking of getting her a 2005 Odyssey Touring. Really, she's still happy with the 1996, but I would like more comfort, luxury, and gadgets. I'll make a post for suggestions on how to dress it up a bit inside and out. Even after paying $40,000 for the Ody, I'll still have another $10,000-20,000 to "pimp my ride." I plan to post my question in Honda Odyssey Owners- Accessories & Modifications, unless there is a better place.
  • jguarfnjguarfn Member Posts: 5
    We came here to research our 1st Ody and yesterday we upgraded from an LX to EX. All the new bells and whistles were simply irresistible. Our 2000 LX had few problems. Thumping under the floorboard while turning the steering wheel, armrests coming loose after reinstalling them over seat covers, simple stuff. Installed a hitch and brake controller for a trailer that worked well. Now gotta do that again. I like where they moved the shifter and the controls in the EX are very accessible if a little confusing. Never got extended warranty, the reliability of Honda stands on it's own. My 1977 Civic held up for 13 years and 1 boot replacement, Honda and Toyota are the greenest car companies, they use the technology to keep consumption low and won't go along with the others who don't. Support companies who work to balance safety with economy, they deserve it.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    On December 28th we purchased this terrific vehicle our second minivan, the first was a 1991 Mazda MPV which had no power and awful mpg. The Odyssey color is Ocean Mist with black leather interior, does not have Nav. I have driving it once and is great ,by the way it belongs to my wife and she love it , easy access ,comfortable seats , huge cargo. I drive a 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser and this minivan drives just as good , for a lot less money . Some of the option we got are : F&R mudflaps , moonroof air deflector , wheel locks. It drives so smooth and better mpg. , I am thinking selling my wheels and getting another Odyssey.

Lou
  • minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    I purchased a 2005 Odyssey Touring on 12/31/05. I love the van so far. I like playing with all the gizmos & gadgets.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...congratulations! Did you post your purchase experience in Odyssey Prices Paid?
  • minivmamaminivmama Member Posts: 2
    Have owned my 2005 Odyssey EXL for two days and am loving it. It is my third mini van with the first two being Chrysler's Town & Country. My last minivan was top of the line for 2000 and I can't believe how luxurious my new Honda is compared to the T&C. This is my last mini van too as my oldest is a HS freshman and when I am down to 2 at home I'm going to an SUV. We are really enjoying the rear entertainment and the sunroof. Whoever invented wireless headphones deserves a medal! My kids feel they have a lot more seating room in it compared to my last van . I even hauled home a desk yesterday in the rear by just folding in the back seats - super easy.

I'll check out the other forums, enjoy your vans! Linda
  • glasschimeglasschime Member Posts: 13
    Do you need a new tranny to go with that oil change?
    Odyssey owner is not alone in her quest for quality repairs
    Sunday, May 29, 2005

Christopher Jensen
    Plain Dealer Columnist

Once upon a time, Diane Green believed in Honda quality. No more.

Green has had the transmission on her 2001 Honda Odyssey replaced four times. That is not often enough to be confused with scheduled oil changes, but it is impressive.

A Honda spokesman used words like "rare" and "unfortunate" to describe Green's experience. However, rummaging around on several Web sites indicates Green is not alone when it comes to having more than her fair share of transmissions.

"This is the second transmission with this van," wrote a Milford, Conn., man in a complaint to the Center for Auto Safety (www.autosafety.org). He, too, owns a 2001 Odyssey.

A man from Chino Hills, Calif., who also owns a 2001 Odyssey, wrote: "This is the third transmission. The second one was replaced at 41,000 miles."

Read the rest of the story at this link.
    http://www.cleveland.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/business/1117272771306010.xml&coll=2
  • daedae Member Posts: 143
    You forgot another quote from the article:

In fairness to Honda, her transmissions have been replaced without charge, although Honda has been using remanufactured transmissions, not new ones, for all its replacements.

While she has been greatly inconvenienced, I can think of other automakers (like Chrysler with its sludged-up 2.7-liter V-6s and Ford with its head-gasket-busting 3.8-liter V-6s) that have been guilty of major mechanical sins and then refused to stand behind their work, forcing people who trusted them to pay thousands of dollars.

And long-term reliability studies from companies such as J.D. Power and Associates and Consumer Reports magazine show that overall, Honda is a quality manufacturer.
    ...although Honda has been using remanufactured transmissions, not new ones, for all its replacements.

And they fail to note that remanufactured means that Honda reuses only the transmission housing - a big hunk of cast metal. All mechanical parts inside are replaced.
  • bush5bush5 Member Posts: 2
    Whenever I shift from reverse to drive (and visa versa), there is a clicking noise which appears to be coming from behind the left front driver side wheel in my 2002 Honda Odessey. Does anyone know what this could be? Thanks!
  • wrightman1wrightman1 Member Posts: 3
    Can someone help me out? Just bought a 2005 touring ody and am having trouble figuring out the doors. Can you open/close the side power doors with the key in the ignition? All i get is beeping!! I have tried hitting the unlock button in the car, but it doesnt seem to help
    Yes - the doors must be unlocked and the transmission in park.
  • krish1krish1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought Odyssey EL/NAV/RES OCT -05. NAV. It started giving me problems now. I cannot use NAV anymore need to take it to the dealer. I am afraid that they will mess up with original wiring; you know what I am talking about.

Problems:

1. Navigation system does not show the right location, current position icon is not correct.
    2. It takes minutes to show up the initial screen
    3. When I punch in street addresses to map new address, each letter takes 3 minutes before it accepts my touch.
    4. Even after going through this, it takes hours to calculate the distance.
    Ex: From Nashville to Atlanta, 5 hours drive. I entered my direction in Nashville. It took 4 hours to calculate the distance and direction. I almost reached the I-285 by this time. I have frustration with my navigation system
    5. When I backup, camera takes more than a minute to show. After changing the gear to move forward, camera still on.

PS: I followed the instruction manuals but it did not help. I disconnected the battery power, reset it, still have same issue.

Anyone having similar issue?
  • mazedavemazedave Member Posts: 3
    I knew I was not alone. How about this one: 2002 EX 1st tranny at 41k, 2nd tranny at recall 92k, now what do you know another tranny at 127k. I commend Honda for the first two (paid all costs) The 3rd one they will pay the parts but want $800 for labor.
    I went round and round with customer service and they feel it is not unreasonable.
    Bottom line, I NOW SEE WE HAVE AN AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR COMPANY.
    Still better than Crysler but so dissapointing. We have had Honda's for over the last 25 yrs. Time to get a Toyota.
  • mazedavemazedave Member Posts: 3
    I know this is an old note, we have a 02 Granite Green w/125k miles for sale.
  • mrs242mrs242 Member Posts: 5
    Hello I have a Honda Odyssey EX W/Leater and the Rear Entertainment System. I am new to the boards, even though I found a few items interesting I went ahead and posted. I apologize if this was inappropriate. I am wanting to see if anyone is having problems with the Rear Entertainment System. We have replaced the Drop down screen once and getting ready to do it again. And we don't watch movies that often!!!!! In fact, on our first road trip to Florida the RES didn't work properly and I called the Service people on my cell phone. They have been awesome trying to help. But I am wondering since this isa new model for Honda if there are other problems out there with the screen. There is sound but no picture. :confuse:
  • vanman12vanman12 Member Posts: 4
    I am in Canda and looking at buying a new 2005 Ody in US (new or Ebay with remaining warranty) Does anyone know if Honda dealer in Canada will do warranty for vehicles purchased in US. One guy in Canada said you have to pay for warranty work out of pocket and then submit bills to Honda US. Perhaps some US owners have bought in Canada and know how it works ?
    If one were to buy a Canadian spec Odyssey and register it in the US without first registering it in Canada, Honda America will not warranty it. It is considered a grey market vehicle.

I would presume it would be the same for a US spec unit in Canada.

Now if you move between the countries and have registered it in the country for which it was made, then you are covered.
  • vanman12vanman12 Member Posts: 4
    that's very helpful... thank you so it would be grey market if i bot new from a US dealer and just drove it back but would the situation be different if I found one that is slightly used ( say on ebay) that would have a few US miles on it and is registered and then I buy it and register it here. Sounds like that would work. Would buying an extended warranty for the new US vehicle here once I got it back into Canada cover me or is that only for the extended period of time after the basic factory warranty ends in 3/5 years.
  • daywooddaywood Member Posts: 2
    You must have the car in park prior to opening and or closing doors.
  • daywooddaywood Member Posts: 2
    We have '05 ODY EX and have intermittent noise coming from the front when we stop (brakes)? I thought it might be the anti lock mechanism but that seems very unlikely. Any thoughts on what it might be. We only have 2300 miles on it.
  • breindersbreinders Member Posts: 23
    mrs242 - Hope this is more helpful than insulting. When you say that you get sound did you mean through the car speakers or through the headphones? If you meant through the car speakers then you should verify that you get sound through the headphones. If you do not get sound through the headphones than ensure that the RES power button on the top left portion of the head unit (radio) is pushed on. I believe that the DVD will still play and sound will come through the car speakers even if the RES is not powered which may give the impression that the screen is not working.
  • norbtucnorbtuc Member Posts: 5
  • norbtucnorbtuc Member Posts: 5
    Just bought an 05 Odyssey Touring. Didn't notice this when test driving but when driving in daylight even with brightness of display turned all the way up, I can hardly see the KPH scale in the center of the speedometer and all the "tic" marks in the speedometer, fuel guage etc. dim out to almost unreadable. When wearing sunglasses these are just about invisible. The display is perfect at night.

Anyone else having this problem? My dealer say this is "vehicle design".
  • mich_chowmich_chow Member Posts: 58
    Hi, this is very strange - you may want to have it checked by the dealer. Also, you may want to post this in the problems... forum to see if others having similar problem or not. Good luck.
  • farokhfarokh Member Posts: 2
    I have your reverse case and I am running into problems.

I bought Honda Odyssy 2001 which was built in Canada, now it is giving me transmission problems in US.

I have called Honda in US and they say the VIN is invalid in US, I have to call Honda Canada, I called Honda Canada and they tell me that since I am in US, the 100,000 Mile/160000 kilometer extended warrantee would not apply to me. I have to have the car in Canada, registered and insured. So there you go.

My advise to you is call Honda of America, 1-800-999-1009 and ask!
  • eamomeamom Member Posts: 2
    Hi I just bought a Honda Odyssey EX 2006. I read many messages in the forums before buying and wanted to try to help others shopping so I will post my buying experience in the appropriate place. It is my first van and we only got it yesterday - so nothing else of interest to report at this time.
  • vinnybvinnyb Member Posts: 2
    My '99 Odyssey EX has 42,000 miles. The driver's side sliding door closes to within 1/8 inch of full closure. It then has to be pushed (hip-checked) closed. Is there a simple adjustment to correct this? Thanks.
  • fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    Is this only with all of the other doors and windows closed. If so, open a window and see if it helps.
  • dcbuyerdcbuyer Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 06 Odyssey with Navigation. Does anybody know how to turn the navigation off once it's on (short of
    re-starting the engine and not pressing on OK)? Also, I am a seat-belt kind of person, is there anyway to turn off the annoying reminder chime (my workaround consists of clicking the seat belt by routing it behind the driver seat).
    Many thanks.
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    I have a '99 Ody with 77k miles and no indication of tranny problems yet. After reading about all the trans problems, what are the max milages these transmitions have endured? ...anyone have 300k+ ???

Chris.
  • checkin2checkin2 Member Posts: 6
    Is that really you? :surprise: Yea!!! You are the best (that's why I'm so surprised to see you still here!) I'm so happy you are...I was getting frightened by some; thinking all may be lost. My '99 Ody must be running like a champ to take this long to get back here! I was hoping to look up the old school...Marjoe dear? :blush:
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Folks, please don't post your email addresses in any public forum -- doing so is an invitation to spambots and anyone else who wants to misuse the information.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• hypercorehypercore Member Posts: 16
    Hello All,

Like almost all others on this forum, I am a new owner of an Odyssey ('06 EX), and like many others, it was a toll up between the Sienna and the Odyssey. I know both are excellent vehicles.

I went from one end of the spectrum to the other, as far as vehicles are concerned. I traded in a sports car for the Odyssey. It was a painful separation, and I'm still going through spearation-anxiety.

We had worked out the deal earlier last week (First week of August) from the place we eventually bought the vehicle, but for the rest of the week, we considered the Sienna (test drove it) and went to another Honda dealership (slimy scum-bags). We eventually came back to the original dealership we had gotten a quote from. No one else came close to the price.

We bought the EX $1000 below invoice (pretty happy about that). Did not have to haggle that much, since I knew people were buying it anywhere from 1000 to $1200 below invoice. I told the sales manager what the vehicle was going for. The "deal" itself took less than 15 minutes to hash out.

The dealership we bought from is 5 minutes from our house, and am very impressed (so far) with the cordial behavior form the various sales people we've spoken to over the last 4 weeks as well as the sales manager (who we eventually dealt with regarding the final pricing).

Although I am sad to let the sports car go, I am also "into" the Odyssey. I like whatever it is I drive.

I am looking to put on a hood-bra? Is this a common item to put on. It saves the paint. On my sports car, I had a clear bra put on. Saves the paint from rocks/pebbles hitting the front of the car. It is an expensive thing to get put on, but its worth it for the car I had.

I am also looking to buy a portable DVD player to use in the van. Something economical. I have heard/read about too many problems with the dvd system that comes with the van. I would rather buy a small portable system that can be used anywhere. That's not for everyone, but it does work for me and how I want to use it.

BTW - I go by the name "hypercore".

- Hypercore
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, Hypercore, and welcome! There are quite a few discussions in this group, so be sure to track the whole group so that you don't miss anything. One that you might be interested in is Honda Odyssey - Audio & Video Ideas.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• hypercorehypercore Member Posts: 16
    Chris,

What is the date of the article in the Plain Dealer? Should be an interesting read.

-Hypercore
  • k7jwmk7jwm Member Posts: 3
    Hi! My wife and I just bought an '06 EX-L model. She wanted a Civic EX with the Nav, but the factory turned our order down three times. So, looking at what the dealer had in stock, we settled on the Ody, but a Ridgeline was a very close second. We haven't been sad at all with it, other than running over "alligators" on the highway! See the section on grilles and condensers to read about those adventures.

Oh, BTW, the wife's son works at the local dealer, so we did get it with a very good discount. Plus, getting the accessories at almost cost doesn't hurt, either. Now, if he can just get the time to come by and install those accessories......

I'm looking forward to some very interesting reading!
  • skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I have been reading all the forums pertaining to vans for several months. Today I took delivery of a 2006 Ody EXL with an auto dim mirror and splash guards. I am a senior retired citizen and my wife and I spend our winters in Florida. It was getting too difficult to take everything in a passenger car. I got a very good deal. I live in RI and this van was a courtesy vehicle that one of the lady pro golfers drove when their US Open (sponsored by Honda)was conducted in Newport. It has just barely a thousand miles on it. I look forward to being an active participant in this forum.
  • whynotbefitwhynotbefit Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2007 Odyessy EX, and would like to have a rod in back for hanging clothes while traveling. I thought about tying a rod onto the two grab handles on the 3rd row of seats (which we could fold down most of the time). Any other suggestions on how to do this?
  • otis13otis13 Member Posts: 1
    WhyNotBeFit:
    I'm also trying to find the best way to hang a clothes rod. What did you end up doing?

otis13
  • whynotbefitwhynotbefit Member Posts: 3
    I swapped the center clothes hooks and the rear clothes hooks in my Odyssey so that the rear two have the fold down handles, and then ordered a clothes rod from spacesavers.com. The rod hooks over the fold down handles, and has rubber along the bar to keep the clothes from sliding around. Works great and costs about $15.
This discussion has been closed.