Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Owners: Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• brunobusbrunobus Member Posts: 77
    Don't know if they're that much better, but with the problems that Firestone is having, demand went way down while supply went way high, thus the discounted price. I think the Firestones originally sold for about $150.

Bruno
  • rgnmstrrgnmstr Member Posts: 226
    My 2002 has the communication systen and part of that system is an onboard GPS. Does anyone know where the unit is located in the car and if it might have an output jack that I could use to feed a location signal to a laptop? Thanks.
  • pdhenrypdhenry Member Posts: 8
    Just a short note to introduce myself.

I'm Pete Henry. I'm a System/Electrical/Software Engineer at a defense company in Pennsylvania. Bought a used 2001 LS V8 Sport from the Lincoln dealer in November 2001 (the original owner got swayed by 0% financing and traded this (leased) car in for a new V6 manual). Aside from some radio issues and a year's worth of gentle use no major problems with the car so far.

So far good experience with the dealer (VERY good price negotiation), although the salesperson was very new at the job and not particularly knowledgeable. Dealer service is typically shabby (why do they try to charge you for complimentary scheduled service anyway?!?) but I plan to stick it out at least until the service runs out at 36K.

Not many really interesting cars in my past history. Most notable a 1984 Mustang SVO (4 cyl turbo) bought new. Had to sell it as a precautionary measure after the son turned 15. You know how that goes...

Current fleet:
    1990 Plymouth Voyager (past its prime, barely worth the cost of a new paint job, but a convenient everyday car & hauler when the seats are out)
    1993 Subaru Legacy (among the last of a breed - a 2WD Subaru)
    1994 Mazda Miata (bought used in 1997 after aforementioned son graduated from college - time to spend some money on ME).
    2001 LS V8 Sport

The wife seems to have abandoned the Subaru in favor of the LS as a daily commuter...

One other note - the son is now enjoying life as a Jaguar technician. The S-Type was one of the first Jags he didn't have disparaging comments about mechanically, and he vouches for the commonality between the S-Type and the LS.
  • 1badmk81badmk8 Member Posts: 1
    How do you start a new thread ?
    Thanks in advance.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I assume you mean a new forum? Click on the "Town Hall" link on this page and select the appropriate category (sedans, convertibles, etc.). There you will see a button to create a new discussion in that category.
  • chartrandchartrand Member Posts: 139
    My name is Ray and I'm a cowboy wannabee. I was born and lived most of my life in Montreal (home of snow and rust belt). I've lived in the DFW area of Texas since 93 and can I tell you I don't miss snow and rust!
    Although Rene Leblanc is older than I, I've owned older cars than him.
    My first car purchased as a basket case for $10 when I was 12 was a 1930 Marquette. Quite rare as they were only built the one year as a poor man's Buick.
    Next came a 35 Chevy pickup. Given to me if I could get it to run - which I did. Put a rod through the block as it consumed gallons of oil per day. Eventually stuffed a 332 Buick V8 into it.
    57 Ford Fairlane convertible next. 312 - 4BBL with 3 on the floor and Austin Healy bucket seats
    63 Pontiac Parisenne Custom Sport Convertible. 327 - 4bbl buckets, stick etc.
    66 Ford Galaxie 500 2 dr with 7 litre option. A pig but talk about torque - would melt the tires!
    69 Pontiac Beaumont (Canadian Chevelle)1st new car.Paid $3200 and
    ordered as a drag strip special. 350/350, 4spd, posi, police package etc. 165 K trouble free miles and 3 seasons of drag racing
    72 Mercury Montego - Boss 351 4 spd trac lock, police package etc. Big mistake. Compression down from 10.5:1 to 8.50. With standard steering and wide ovals it took 3 car lenghts to park. Clutch was a killer as well. Rusted out before my eyes.
    74 Grand Torino Elite. Pimp mobile but that style was in back then. Also rusted out in one winter.
    76 Olds Cutlass Supreme 2 dr. Extremely popular then. I owened 4 of them. 350 Olds engine was bullet proof.
    80 Chevy Malibu sports coupe. Bought from the neighbor as a winter driver wih a V6. In the spring I replaced it with a 350 and then 2 more of progressively higher horsepower. Rust set in and I couldn't keep windshields in her. The unit body with all the torque and lack of metal(rust) flexed the body and cracked them.
    82 Mustang coupe. 2.3 four banger was a dog but got decent gas mileage. Zero trunk space.
    88 Pontiac Bonneville. Was exciting to see someone try and spiff up the four door family sedan. 3.8 V6 is still used today by GM.
    93 Pontiac Transport. Family and pets to haul around. No justice. Now there'e no snow or rust and I own a plastic car!
    96 Olds 88 LSS. Excellent car. Had more features than my LS at a fraction of the price. Sorry to see it discontinued.
    2000 Lincoln LS. V8 non sport with every option but RESCU. Had wood kit installed, pin striped, gold kit (a Texas thing)and a cargo net.Talking to the Lincoln engineers my particular option combination no longer exits due to CAFE.Example full rear head rests and audiophile system, moon roof, chrome wheels etc.
    This is the first car I've owned that I feel confident in at 140 mph.
    Charter member of LLSOC.
  • msilverstein2msilverstein2 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2000 Lincoln LS (Sport Package) and have been experiencing problems with my power windows. If anyone else has experienced similar problems, I would appreciate your comments.

The problem is that the regulator / motor that drives the power windows on three of my four windows have failed. The first failure was within the warranty period, so it was covered. The last two have costing me $300+ per.

Have any of you experiences similar problems?
  • robbrixeyrobbrixey Member Posts: 1
    Here's how it works.
    1. You spend $38000 on a car and a Lincoln Commitment.
    2. The Power Window fails in the down position.
    3. The dealer and Lincoln won't pay.
    4. You "commit" to buy a Lexus.
  • v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    Not much activity on this board, but I figure I'll chime in. Just purchased a 2001 LS V8. Autumn red with medium parchment interior, sport package, and pretty much every available option except RESCUE. Car only has 25K on it and appears to be a lease turn in. As for me, I'm 28 years old, single, college grad, working in the telecom sector. This is my first Ford product and thus far, I am impressed. Prerviously had owned mostly GM cars and my most recent(and also my first ever brand new car) was a 2001 Olds Intrigue that proved to be a real lemon. Traded it for the Lincoln. Here's hoping the Lincoln gives me better service.
  • rfdevil1rfdevil1 Member Posts: 43
    You're right that there's not much activity over here. Anyway, since you jumped in I thought I'd add that I purchased a 2003 V8 Sport in late August. It's black on black (just like the one in the web site), only two options are a roof and rear park assist. Just the way I like it. Only other option I would like to have had is the HID headlamps. I had been driving a 97 Taurus for 6+ years and have been looking at new cars since last fall. I was very hot on the CTS, especially when the '04s came out with the higher hp motor and I also was very high on the LS. I looked at many other cars like IS300, Audi A4, VW Passat -W8, Acura TL, Maurauder and Volvo S60. I kept coming back to the LS ad the CTS. It came down to $$ when I went to buy because the CTS I wanted was the '04 w/ 1SC sport pckg and that stickered for $40+ but the dealer wasn't discounting much at all and there was only $1,000 of conquest cash. So w/ rebates and incentives on the '03 LS I got the V8 for a lot less and 0.0% financing. I love the look of the LS (especially the front end) so I just did it. I love the car so far.

As for me, Im 37, doing the family thing hence the need for 4 doors, but I wanted something sporty and fast. I've had several Mustangs and Trans Ams in the past and have a love of the V8 engine and the sounds it produces. It was killing me to drive the Taurus for so long but my wife and I don't see eye to eye when it comes to cars. I think she likes this car but doesn't readily admit it. I got her an Expedition two years ago (with the 5.4 V8).

What made you decide on the LS? I used to see your posts on the CTS board under your old name and you were hot on a used STS for a while.
  • v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    I came across the LS by chance sort of. While I was really wanting an 04 CTS with the new motor, they are just really a bit out of my price range right now. Especially if I got one with some options. For some strange reason I started to get on an SUV kick and was looking at Explorers. I had originally visited the dealer where I bought the LS looking at Explorers. The salesman said he had a couple of late model trades that had "just come in" and they were around back so we got in the LS and drove it around there. I've read reviews of the LS and always thought it a decent sedan, but after sitting in it and just hearing how smooth and refined it's V8 engine sounded at idle, I quickly lost interest in the Explorer and starting thinking hmmm. When I started researching prices on 2-3 year old LSs, the obvious choice became clear. Went back a couple of days later and test drove the car and was pretty much sold. After seeing how badly my previous car had depreciated and also seeing how the Lincoln did as well(considering my fully loaded 01 probably stickered for 40K and I got it for 22.9K) I'm not sure I'll ever buy new again. I might do a lease, but the way cars take such a big hit in depreciation in the first few years, I'm not sure I'll buy one brand new again. As for an STS, they are nice cars as well, but after driving a CTS and now owning a Lincoln LS, I'm sold on RWD. Both the CTS and LS achieve a very good balance between smooth ride and sharp handling. I'm glad to see Cadillac realizes that and is going to RWD on many of their future cars.
  • phase90phase90 Member Posts: 3
    I've had my 2001 LS8 for 2 months now and love it. It is the base model with 6 disc indash changer, moonroof, and (just added) 17" chrome rims. Color is black.

It had 26K miles on it when I bought it and I've put 2K more on it.
  • rgnmstrrgnmstr Member Posts: 226
    Hi kids. Just took delivery of a new 2003 V8 Sport. Black/black with THX/NAV, park assist, moonroof, etc. Bargain of the century. MSRP $45.8K, paid $33.8K. We will also be keeping our 2002 Silver V8 Sport. Don't know why anybody would buy a 3 Series.
  • russerusse Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

My name is Russ Engs and I just recently discovered the Edmunds Town Hall. I own a black 2001 LS V6 Sport with manual trans that I bought in 2002 from a small dealership in Caledonia, Ontario. The car had been driven for a year by a Ford executive and was essentially showroom new (eg. back seats and trunk never used and not a scratch on it). The car came with advance trac, upgraded Alpine stereo, and 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. I recently installed Silverstar headlights and 60W foglights and purchased a set of Goodyear Ultragrip Ice tires on 16" American Racing (Touring) alloy rims for winter driving (usually we get lots of snow here in Ontario).

I was not really in the market for a new car and test drove this car just to see what it was like. I was so impressed with this LS that I made an offer on it when I got back from the test drive and then had to go home and break the news to my wife that I'd bought another car (to add to the 4 cars, 1 motorcycle, and 1 boat that we already own!). Once she saw and drove the Lincoln, however, she agreed with my decision and now loves it too. The car handles like a dream and, although a little short on brute power, is still a lot of fun to drive. We plan to make some exhaust and intake modifications to increase the car's power and then hope to keep it for a long time. So far, except for one rear window regulator, the car has been 100% reliable and the only money spent on it has been for oil changes and wiper blades (touch wood).

I live in the city of Cambrdge, Ontario (about 50 miles west of Toronto). I am 51 years old and I work as the senior physics teacher at a local high school where I also run the school jazz band. I have many interests that include motorcycling, offshore power boating, music, photography, investing, weight lifting and physical fitness, travelling, automotive mechanics, high performance and collector cars, and for a while I operated an automotive specialty repair shop and dabbled in other entrepreneurial activities.

Cars have been a lifelong passion of mine and over the years I have owned many. Some of my high performance and sporty cars that I remember fondly include the following:

1965 Corvair Corsa 140
    1973 Firebird Esprit 350
    1973 Firebird Formula 455
    1973 Trans Am SD-455 (black)
    1973 Trans Am SD-455 (white) - still own
    1974 Trans Am SD-455 (red)
    1975 Bricklin SV-1
    1977 Corvette L82
    1979 Mazda RX-7
    1980 Porsche 928
    1982 Porsche 928S
    1983 Mercedes SL convertible
    1984 BMW 533i 5 sp manual - still own
    1984 Pontiac 6000 STE
    1994 BMW 740i - still own
    2001 Lincoln LS V6 Sport - still own

Out of all the above cars, the Lincoln LS has to rank as one of my favorites. My wife and I fight over who is going to drive it and after mastering its manual trans, my eldest daughter now wants her first car to have a stick. I just wish that Ford had not decided to drop the manual transmission as an option. I would love to have owned a manual LS V8 or supercharged/turbocharged high performance V6! Oh well, perhaps at some point in the future they will reconsider.

I am glad I discovered this web site and look forward to communicating with all of you in the forum.

Russ
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,498
    the furious activity in this and other boards relating to the LS.

A real enthusiast's vehicle, eh what?

I arrived here via a link in a much older post, and found the thread interesting.

"Back in the day," the LS enthusiasts were willing to share lots of information. Either there are fewer of them/us now, or there is less information.

You pick.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • tapasintapasin Member Posts: 12
    Hi, My name is Mike. I just bought a used 2002 Linc LS V6. I don't have much experience for this luxery sport seden. I choosed it because its safety.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Congratulations on your purchase. You got a real bargain there - a highly engineered car, for a great price.
  • jlesnikjlesnik Member Posts: 3
    I'm the original owner of a 2000 LS early production model with a 5-speed. I have about 58,000 miles on it. It has a bad bearing in the transmission that cannot be repaired by the dealer. A replacement will be $2,000 plus. The dealer and Lincoln refuse any warranty coverage citing the mileage. This is an obvious manufacturing defect in my mind as a typical manual transmission should last the life of the car if it is not abused and is properly maintained.

The car still has the original clutch and the factory back brakes, so it has not been abused. The gears and synchronizers are fine. Only a bearing is shot.

Has anyone heard about problems with these units?

I think 4 of my last 5 cars and trucks have been from Ford. That said, I'll never buy another Ford / Lincoln or other Ford product as this kind of failure is inexcusable and Lincoln's attitude to me has been to "drop dead". I plan to buy two new cars and a new pickup in the next six months. I think I'll go Japanese (Lexus and Toyota Tundra) for the first time in my life.

John in NC
    I have almost 75K miles on my '00 with a manual and (knocks on wood) no problems so far. Also have the original clutch, w/ 4.5 years of Phoenix rush-hour commuting.

This is supposed to be the same transmission (Getrag) used in the BMW, but one never knows. Since only a few hundred were ever sold, it'll take forever to figure out if this is a prevalent issue. Except for one, every vehicle I've owned has been a manual, and the only transmission issue I had was with one of my Miatas, later traced to (wait for it) a Ford-induced defect.

Just to add to the misery, when you do get the transmission fixed, you can be secure in the knowledge that the mechanic doing it has never done it before and will probably never do it again.

Oh boy.

You might want to post your message in the regular "Lincoln LS" board and the "Lincoln LS, Problems & Solutions" board as well. This one gets a fraction of the traffic those do, and of course none of them gets anything like they used to.

I've owned a number of Asian vehicles in the past, and will most likely go back when the LS is used up. I think you'll be pleased if you do. Anyway, good luck, and keep us posted.
  • kokerkoker Member Posts: 23
    Isn't the transmission part of the "powertrain" and therefor covered by the 10yr/100000 mile part of the warrenty?
    Which 10 yr - 100,000 powertrain warranty would that be?
  • kokerkoker Member Posts: 23
    I guess I must be remembering wrong, but I thought the 2000 ls had a 4y/50k bumper to bumper and a 10yr powertrain warrenty. I just sold mine (never had a problem with the manual tranny) so I can't check the paperwork.
    Yeah, not aware of any powertrain warranty beyond the 50,000 on a Ford product unless it's a certified product, or has a purchased extended warranty on it.
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize so few were sold. I guess if I get it fixed and keep it for 30 years it will be a collectors items some day? Just got my 1st small scratch on it yesterday.
    It's 50K for obvious reasons based on my experience. Actually, I drove my Ford Ranger for almost 300,000 miles with the original transmission, but that's a Mazda isn't it?
    The 5 speed in the Ranger was a Mazda transmission, yes, which was a real knock on the truck for some people. Personally, I liked it, and mine, though not in my hands anymore, is approaching 200,000 as well, and the rest of the truck is holding up fine as well, thank you...

I think the manual gearbox in the LS is a Getrag gearbox, isn't it?
  • insp2750insp2750 Member Posts: 1
    Just traded in my Lincoln LS 2002 to a new Lincoln LS 2005, with Navigation.
    I placed about 20 site address into the navigator. However, I dont know how to recall the destination, other than by the address. This does NOT seem right. You should be able to refer to a name relating to the address for recall.
    Any suggestions?
  • asemaasema Member Posts: 33
    Thats what I have a problem with as well. This is not really an address book feature where you can store addresses by name, but rather a mechanism to just store addresses. I hate it. I have used several Nav products, this is probably the first that doesn't store the address by name.
    And while I'm at it,..i also hate the fact that I can't enter destinations while driving..(yes yes..I heard it before...its for safety ...)
  • dlh2002lsedlh2002lse Member Posts: 1
    Hello, my nam is Dan Hucklebridge and I just bought a 2002 LSE premium/sport and I am a mechanic w/ 24 years experence. It has 55K miles and is silver and clean as a pin. I love the way the 5 speed auto trans performs but I am very much into fluid changing and we don't have one one those fancy fluid exchangers. I tried to read the print on the bottom of the pan but it did not make a lot of sense. I know there is a plug on the tail shaft but have not touched it yet. Just like spark plugs, I don't think trans fluid should be left in for 100K miles. Pleaase respond, Thanks, Dan
    I'm not sure when our automatic transmission guru will have a chance to get back to you, but he used to recommend ~30K change intervals.

As I imagine you're aware, if you don't use one of the in-line exchange devices, there's quite a lot of fluid left in the torque converter, lines, cooler & etc. that'll still be in there when you think you're finished draining it. I suppose you could do it two or three times in a row, with a good long run in between each change, and come out at about the same place, but with quite a lot more work involved.

FWIW.
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Call me Tom, a driver of a 2004 Lincoln LS, the first American car I’ve owned. I am quintessential middle management, in a position requiring a lot of travel, most of it in my car.

My family was an early adopter of foreign cars, with a Renault Dauphine, a Volkswagon Beetle, and a Datsun B210 in the bunch. However, if not buying foreign, my parents typically bought GM. In college I drove a 1982 Honda Accord, and my family have bought foreign since. Cars I’ve owned include the following: a diesel Volkswagon Jetta, 2 Honda Accords, a Volvo 240, and a 1995 Volvo 850, which I still have. My wife drives a Volvo S70.

I spend a lot of time behind the wheel as part of my job, and after 10 years it was time to move into something newer than my Volvo 850. A spate of patriotism prompted me to focus on buying American. I did cross shop the Lexus ES330 and the Acura TL, but each had characteristics I didn’t like. The Chrysler 300 Limited carried a $5000 “regional economic adjustment,” and in my mind the interior wasn’t worth that, nor was the Caddy CTS’ interior worth the asking price. The Lincoln was a good compromise between what I didn’t like in the other cars.

Never having owned Ford products, I wasn’t familiar with Lincoln’s history until I read up on it. Lincoln really has some high points in its history: the prewar KB cars, the original Continental, the Continental Mark II (yes, I’ll go ahead and consider it a Lincoln), the 1961 Continental, the 2000 LS. Lincoln seems to have lost its way as of late, but I certainly hope the marquee turns things around, and I look forward to spending quality time with my LS.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome, Tom! Enjoy the Forums. :)
    You should really enjoy that car, displacedtexan. You know, it's a Jaguar S-Type under there, so you still sort of have a foreign car, owned by an American Company, with an American nameplate on it. Best of both worlds, maybe. Either way, it's an engineering marvel, possibly the best car on the road in it's class, IMO, matched by only the BMW 5 series, which is far less reliable. Welcome to the club.
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    I'm new to this board but wanted to give some insight on the build quality and NHTSB real-life results. The car did NOT have stability control. It spun out on ice and hit both front end and rear corner. The rear passenger wheel absorbed full energy and the axle broke. Damage included front bumper and grill work up to the hood and rear bumper and the wheel. All windows, doors and trunk worked but hood, no. The interior held together and air bag did NOT deploy! This was a really strong build design.

Still, insurance company totalled it.
  • eanneann Member Posts: 3
    I have a beautiful 1995 Lincoln Continental (beige). The other morning, it wouldn't start. Up to then it ran perfectly. My mechanic suspects it's the Timing Chain. I want to sell it.

I recently replaced the air suspension system with the coil suspension system, guaranteed for life of the car.

The body is in beautiful condition. (some paint peeled off the rubber front bumper). Inside, there is a ripe in driver's seat upholstery, and the headliner is coming down in the back above the rear window. The passenger window works intermittently (tho it is up, it has never stuck when down)

I have done all scheduled maintenance, and kept records of that. Emissions passed easily.

What i want to find is a Lincoln Enthusiast, who would love to own and work on the car, and restore it to its day-before-yesterday top-running condition.

If anyone knows such a person, Please let me know!

Thanks so much, You all !
  • rmcmahonrmcmahon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Lincoln LS

The transmission is shifting roughly and sometimes the check transmission message flashes with an "E" displayed in the drive indicator area. You then have to turn the car off and restart to get this to go away.

Some say to change the solonoids in the transmission, which will cost about 1,000
    Anyone have any views on this as several people report a long expensive process of back and forth to the Lincoln garage to figure out the problem and try to solve it
    I guess I should admire your positive attitude, in that you're replying to a message posted over six years ago. Mark, a transmission specialist at FLM has probably had three projects since then, and I'd be stunned if he has looked at Edmunds at all in the past three years.

Six years is a long time, in the LS world. The team that put it together & got it to market in '99 most assuredly no longer exists. I'm going to go out on a limb here & assume that you bought the thing for a song.

The car no longer exists, in terms of what you can buy/lease at a dealer.

The LS auto transmission has always given me lots of fodder for my discussions, the points of which are that: 1) the only way to achieve reliability is to have a manual (the LS did that for a few years) & 2) the LS auto appears to offer a number of "opportunities for improvement," some of which were executed. The LS automatic has been problematic since day one. Many work well for a long time. Enough don't that I've become even more convinced that a manual is the only way to go.

Automatic transmissions demand expensive service when they fail. Get several opinions from several shops (dealers & independents), then bring your wallet.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Steve - you might be surprised to know that Mark left Ford a few weeks ago and is now working for Getrag.
    Wow! He went to the dark side (along with me).

Good to know. Thanks.

My LS will hit 110K in the next few weeks, & I'm planning a journey way north in July which should add another 6-7K.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    "Mark left Ford a few weeks ago and is now working for Getrag."

A prime example of what is happening at Ford. THe good people who can get good work elsewhere have taken the buyouts. 70% of the rest dont have a good thing to say about the company. Any wonder pessimism rules?
  • rbardrbard Member Posts: 3
    I recently had this issue with my '01 LS. Mine would not shift into overdrive and the engine light and "E" appeared. The dealer changed the solenoid pack and the valve body. The solenoid pack replacement did not solve the problem as I went and drove the car after the solenoid pack was replaced. The valve body actually fixed the problem. Who knows for how long, as I am sure there is probably other wear in the transmission. The repairs were going to total about $1600.00 but since we had only recently purchased the car from the dealer and they sold it when it was new, they agreed to do the repairs for free. If we were going to pay the $1600.00, I would have replaced the entire transmission. I did not want to patch something for that amount of money and then later have to replace the entire transmission and total expenditures total around $4600.00. I have driven the car about 250 miles since the repair and everything is doing fine at this point.
This discussion has been closed.