Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....I was the one who suggested this week's topic for a chat. BUT, I was joking! Is it my fault that the boss took it seriously???? :-) When I heard that it was chosen to be the first topic for the new N&V chat, I also suggested that Bruno the Bouncer be hired to help monitor the chat. ;-)

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    ...Todd and Steve? LOL
  • vkWingvkWing Member Posts: 1
    I just got my new MPG Model es - the top of the line, in silver, for only $25,600 which includes delivery charge, leather, rear TV entertainment (offered free thru April), dual a/c, light packages, roof rack, and much more. Great deal! I owned it for one month now and accumulated close to 1,000 miles. Rides nice, quiet, and comfortable. Power is adequate. I get 19 mpg city driving and 23 mpg highway. Third row seats folds away flat like the Honda Odyssey, second row seats removes very easily.

Only complaints: the auto transmission sometimes hesitates from low speed, the second row does not go forward or backwards for taller passengers.

No need for any warranty repairs for first month. Knock wood.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    "the second row does not go forward or backwards"

They don't? My 2000 LX does. Look for a lever on the front of the seat below the cushion. I would be very surprised if it was deleted.

:)
    Welcome to our happy little group. Glad you took the plunge and I hope you enjoy your van as much as many others are.

I think that the seats do have fore/aft motion, but I believe they are defaulted to the full-back position, if I'm describing that correctly. So, basically, you could push them forward. Like Maltb said, there's a lever below the cushion that you should be able to lift and then slide the seats. Works on the 2000s anyhow.

--javadoc
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Congratulations on your new van! Pity it isn't Sand Mica, though; that's the color the truly tasteful ALWAYS get. ;)

About the hesitation: mine does the same thing on occasion, but it's such a minor glitch that most of the time I don't notice it. Seems to happen most frequently at about 5-10 mph when I put a sudden demand on it. I think I've noticed it getting better as the tranny and engine break in. But as I said, it's not something that bothers me either very often or very much.

Happy miles in your van.

RJ
    That was shameless. :-) I applaud you!

Since this is our unofficial off-topic thread...myself and the java-clan have our bags packed and are ready to head to sunny SoCal (where we can chew our air, lol) on a red-eye tonight. I've been forced to "compromise" (which means I lost the carry-on space) and leave the laptop @ home, but I'm taking my Handspring (and it's modem), so I won't be in total techy-withdrawls.

We're renting an MPV, so life will be good. I'll have to post some pix in the "Road Trip" forum when we return in a couple of weeks.

Play nice while I'm lying on the beach kids!

--java
    RU the owner of that board?

--java
    What? post a link to a board? why I would never! oops, looks like I did.

No, it's alexv1's board that he just created. I don't know how useful it will be, but I'm willing to hang around and try it for a while.

P.S. the weather is great although there may be some am.. overcast at the beach.
    Dang, overcast at the beach? The house we got is *on* the beach (12 steps to the sand). I guess more time in the hot tub, . I saw it was in/around 90 yesterday. I like, I like. Mrs. Javadoc has been going to bed every night saying, "If there's snow on the lawn when I wake up, I'm staying in bed until we leave for the airport."

Um, er, MPV content...I'm actually getting to drive MochaVan today!!! Traded w/the missus so I could get one of the remote starter's keyfobs fixed, which is not a prob w/the van, just a dead fob-battery. Rides so much better then Rolf on our roads, so nice. Maybe I'll wash it and clean it out, since I'm such a nice guy.

I subscribed, but since I spoof/forward my email addy, not sure if it'll register me...will see.

--java
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    So this is where everyone went.

Check out the new vanity plate for the MPV.

http://tlcc2000.dyndns.org/Automotive/MPV/Images/tlcc-mpv.jpg

Cheers,

TB

• blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    Where is everyone? Did everyone leave with Java or what?
    Sorry...was sleeping.....

• nash5nash5 Member Posts: 2
    I just confirmed the order of my Elmerald Mica LX with rear air and I can not wait. I ordered it online and it's being delivered to my door for a total cost of 21,275. This is the first new car I have ever purchased and reading these posts helps relieve some of my anxiety. I am a minivan driver - it's a new identity! I seem to be alone in my color choice - I love green! I do get a chance to turn down the van if something is wrong with it. Any suggestions of things to look out for are appreciated.
  • blacklxblacklx Member Posts: 60
    Java must really be the star of the place.

I've been getting my gall bladder removed and while I came home the same day, I haven't been doing much lately. The worst part is that I didn't get to drive the MPV for a week. I don't think vicodin and driving mix too well. My husband was home so if we did go anyplace, he drove. It sure felt good to get behind the wheel again though.
    All better now? Glad to hear that you are back home. And yes, I think java does add that dimension of fun to this board. Amazing how quirkiness can be such a welcome thing. Maybe we should toast to the man with a cup-o-joe when he returns.

I'm glad to get rid of that thing. I'm kind of like a car, you take them in for regular servicing, I hit the OR every spring. (2 c-sections and now this.)
    Maybe it's time to kick that springtime habbit, eh?

Ouch on the gall bladder! Glad you're feeling better. I've been the c-section route twice myself, so I know the feeling.

Btw, a friend of mine just purchased a MPV! She made her decision after I told her how happy the MPV owners on Edmunds.com were with their choice. That was good enough for her! :-)

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    We love you even more now!

Tell her to join us in "happy owner land."

We're thinking of having #3 (another probably visit to the OR next spring) For people with 3 car seats, it is bothersome putting a child in a car seat in the 3rd row? My oldest would only be 3. I almost think it would be better to put two car seats in the third row in order to leave better access to the back. Just curious what others have found works the best.
    We keep a forward facing carseat in the middle row behind the driver and the rest are boosters that use the vehicles shoulder belt. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain, but until they make a van with 3 doors on each side I don't see another option.

• maryholmesmaryholmes Member Posts: 15
    I was just reading in the owners manual, (yes, it is my lunch time reading material) that there is only a tether for the middle position of the third row. So, it might depend on your carseats, if you'll be able to put two in the third row.
    I was thinking that it would be easier to put two in back. Maryholmes, I have no tethers in back, I had to have the two in the middle row installed. I would certainly miss havine the fold down seat but with 3 car seats, that would definitely happen. We're still "discussing it." He says no, I say yes.

I hope everyone has a great weekend zooming around.
    Uh-huh uh-huh uh-huh. Me and my sunburned self are back (wife and kidz too)! I'll be spending the next week prolly catching up on all my correspondence (500+ posts, countless emails), but thought I'd say "hi" to everyone!

--javadoc
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Finally the lazy silence in MPV forums is going to end. Java is back. [Beware coffee shops!] :-)
    Yes, I literally had to pack an extra box for the Starbucks paraphanalia I purchased (we don't have Starbucks :-S). But, 3.5 days of work this week, 3 days next week makes it easy to get back into the office grind, and wearing long pants again.

--j
    Did you get all that horrible smog out of your lungs yet?

...I bought a wire brush from a street vendor to scrub them clean. He was selling those, "California Brown-out Sensors" and maps to the Star's houses, your's included. We were the ones pounding on your door at 3am, lol. We didn't rent any kayaks, but rented paddle boats and some tandem bikes, but the kids really just wanted to ride the Balboa ferry...back and forth, back and forth.

For MPV content, to my disappointment, we weren't able to rent an MPV, as promised by Hertz, but were blessed with a new DC G-Caravan (w/3.3L motor). I'll have to do a complete debrief on that, prolly on my site, comparing it to the MPV. The short of it...Mrs. Javadoc sighed when we got in our van this morning(3:30am) and said, "Home Sweet MochaVan," so she missed the van sorely. :-)

It was especially nice to get on the freeway this morning and have only about six cars within sight, instead of six cars within ten feet of me like on any given freeway down there (405/55/5/134/60/etc) although I really dug the uncongested toll roads.

--j.
    but when you have the option of free vs. toll and you pay to take the toll road, you get really pissed when you are stuck in traffic on them.

Was that you at my door? Lucky for you I couldn't find the ammo; must have been in the baby's play pen.

WHAT? our 150ft ferry is a big deal for your kids? I guess they aren't impressed with your 150 mile(uneducated guess) ferrys to Juno. I must say my kids(really, I) get a kick out of it also.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, come back anytime to support the local economy.

MPV content: I said MPV didn't I?

...was that it was a 70 mile (or so) trip from the house to Universal Studios, and I never left urbania behind. Now, that's alot of sprawl, albeit we viewed it at 80+mph. Borrowed a portable dvd player (w/screen) from a friend for the trip...total sanity saver.

--j
    of Southern California: One big suburb. You never know when you've left one town and gone to the next.

It's been too quiet around here. None of us can keep it going like you do.
    Welcome home, javadoc!

Vinegar will take the sting out of that sunburn, and aloe gel prevents it from peeling.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    thx blacklx, Karen. This place resembles the Volvo threads lately...slow. Hopefully everyone is out enjoying the spring weather in your areas. I'll have to be sure to take the laptop out to the back yard after lunch to do my work.

Dang SPF15 sunscreen did nothing for me when we went to Seaworld, but it was well worth it. I used Noxzema (sp) for the sting and aloe for the peeling, so far I'm not making like an onion. One more reason Alaska is a better place to live...you save money by not needing sunscreen.

Busily compiling a comparo of the MPV and our DC Van rental. Details to follow. Oh, btw, there's a 2000 MPV LX on ebay...24,000 miles, located near Seattle, if anyone's interested. It's auction #591573964.

--java
    Alrighty, my little blurb comparo of the DC van we rented is HERE in order to not annoy disinterested parties.

--javadoc

...I apologize entirely up front for posting this horribly off-topic post, but this guy was on the front page of our Sports section. Here's some pics...yes, it's a rocket-powered street luge. This one has not one, not 2, but TWENTY-FOUR rockets!

Quoted from the article: "

Copeland planned to ignite his two dozen rockets with six triggers, but he only managed to fire 16... 'I couldn't get to the other buttons, which was probably a good thing,' said Copeland."

I'm thinking he'll be on the Darwin Awards soon. So, enjoy...

--java

• dkfnewsdkfnews Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,

My wife and I will be purchasing an MPV soon. However, we are wondering if it was possible to find out what next year's color selections will be. Obviously I'm guessing the dealer won't volunteer this information, as they have many MPVs on the lot and would like to sell one *now*. :-)

Knowing factory, brochure printing and other lead times, I'm guessing somebody already knows... Any thoughts on how to find out?

Thanks!
    Jon Lane
    dkfnews@aol.com
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    glad to hear you will be a MPV owner. Currently, there are nine color choices for the 01 MPV. I believe, Pure White and Sunlight Silver were new for 01. I don't think there will be major color changes for 02, IMHO. You might want to call Mazda North America at 800-222-5500 and see if they have any knowledge of new colors. We have a Sand Mica 01 LX and just love our van. Sand Mica seems to be the most popular color in our part of the Midwest(Ohio). Hope this helps, good luck and zoom zoom:)

Pete
  • ajl3ajl3 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

We are getting ready to buy a 2001 MPG DX here in the Port land/Vancouver area, and wonder whether the Rear AC is worth paying for. Or, will the standard front AC cool the entire vehicle adequately? I understand that the duct work sends cool (or hot in winter) air to the rear of the vehicle, but the Rear AC option allows the back AC to be "controlled." Any advice? Thanks.
  • maryholmesmaryholmes Member Posts: 15
    As I understand it, the rear air is actually a separate unit, not just the controls. Personally, I use mine even when there is no one back there, to get the vehical to cool down faster and then I turn it off. I think it would be a mistake not to buy it. There was one poster who said they actually sold their 2000 and bought a 2001 because they had thought they wouldn't need the rear air, but found out they did.
  • whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    Highly recommended if you will have passengers on the 3rd row regularly. Without it, they will complain too hot in summer, too cold in winter.

The unit worked very well, in a recent heat wave (+30C), with both units at full blast, the interior is nice and cool within 5 minutes. The unit is so powerful I needed to lower the fan speed to 2 afterward.

Caveat: Extra maintenance cost as all pipes are underneath the car
    As Mary said, I had a 2000 DX with single air thinking that it would cool the vehicle sufficiently. Boy was I wrong and the kids made sure I knew it. Now that I have rear air we are back on speaking terms. It may depend on where you are, but I can say that you don't want to be stuck in Southern California without the dual air.

• billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    I'm on the other end of the street from Maltb's position. I did not want the dual air, but got it foisted on me when I bought the car. Now I'm glad it was. We've been through a heat wave here in western Pa--temps in the 90's, high humidity. After venting the van for a few minutes with the air on full, front and back, I button it up. Within a few more minutes, I find myself backing off on the controls. I usually end up running the rear AC at 1--or OFF-- and the front a 1 or two. And the car is totally comfortable front and back. So my advice, FWIW, is to go for the dual air. It's worth it.

Good luck--

RJ
  • ajl3ajl3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all for the advice on the rear AC option. My first post must have been garbled, because we are looking at an LX, not a DX. BTW, our neighbor just bought a new 2001 Ody last week. We'll get a first-hand chance to see how they stack up, I guess...
    I live near Salem so similar climate. We have an LX with rear air. Since our van is black and vans are full of windows, they get really hot quickly. With the rear air, it definitely cools down quicker. We don't regularly have people in the 3rd row but I still like the rear air. I'd say go for it unless it's totally out of your budget.
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Sorry to be repetitive since I did post on the general board,but I am a 44 yr old male,married with 2 kids (10&15),and I just bought a 2001 LX with rear air and security package. I think I made the right choice,but only time will tell. I do hope that come resale time,I don't get burned for not having the Sienna or Ody.This would really tick me off. My wife loves the van even though we have only had it 2 days.Before,she drove a 94 Villager. I miss the engine,and no payments,but I do not miss those stupid motorized seat belts,nor the non working rear wiper,and a few other things. I think I am having second thoughts and I don't know why. Should I have kept the old van? Should I have waited endlessly for a Honda,paid the $2500 more for the Sienna? Is there anyway to check the resale values compared to original msrp? Does anyone else feel like me,or am I just weird?
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Your hesitation will wear off as you fall in love with the van. Last night while watching the fireworks, I flipped the rear seat and removed the second row. Everyone was in lawn chairs and I was in a leather recliner! Besides, isn't your wifes happiness the most important thing in your life? Imagine your life if she didn't love the van? That alone is worth the lost capital of resale. Sometimes the happiness a vehicle brings offsets the cost at resale. You still purchased a consumer best buy. So "Don't worry, Be Happy".
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    This cannot be true! Please see my comment in the general comments section comparing MPV and Sienna.
This discussion has been closed.