Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Welcome to our band of merry MPV owners! Please be sure to visit the other MPV forums in the Mazda MPV Owners section. These threads can answer alot of questions you might have about the van. The locals are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable (just don't feed the Californians).

/Javadoc

• pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    welcome! I'm glad to hear your enjoying your MPV. We have had our 01 LX MPV since April, 9500 flawless miles. My Wife doesn't let me drive it much, you women are all alike:) Good luck and post often.

Pjd58
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    As javadoc says, "don't feed the Californians," otherwise we might throw sunshine your way and ruin a perfectly misseable winter.

However, it brings me sadness to report that it will be cold for turkey day tomorrow: a frigid 72 (brrrr). Sorry, the pool party has been canceled.

Doc, why is this package ticking?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    2002 Mazda MPV

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • chowchow2chowchow2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I am new to this website. What a good idea. We are looking for new wipers: both front and back. Any suggestions.

Ken
    Welcome to the MPV clubs! I assume your handle is because you like/have chow chows? Great dogs.

Anyway, I'd suggest Bosche Micro-Edge Excel blades. Part no. 40924 for the fronts, and 40916 for the rear. They work great, imho. I've never found a wiper blade that worked great forever, so I replace these about twice a year.

Again, welcome... check out our other "Club" forums for the MPV. I think you'll find we're a great bunch of folks that love our MPV vans.

happy motoring/

javadoc
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • ftlftl Member Posts: 11
    I just bought my 2001 LX last weekend and am really enjoying it. Today I was able to my 8 ft. wood panels and they actually fit in the van!!!! I used to have a Saturn wagon. My only complaint is that when I have the van in drive the gear handle(?) is my way. I cannot see the stereo buttons to chose my channels.
  • blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    Just thought I'd drop a note to say hi to all of my old friends, Java, Karen, Maltb, pjd, billmc, and everyone else I know I'm forgeting, and hello to all of you lucky new owners. I've just been reading for about 15 min. or so, but I'm glad to hear everyone still seems to be liking their vans.

Update on my wonderful ride... will turn over 65,000 miles later today, with no major problems, only a couple of small nagging things. My one rear window is rattling, and I think I need a realignment 'cause the steering wheel is shaking a little at lower speeds. Other than that, nothing is wrong.(other than it needs a wash desperately) But I do think I still have the highest mileage here, if not the country. At this rate, my extended warranty will only extend me to about 3 and a half years! :( Oh well.

Have any of you driven a 2002 yet? I'm planning to go drive one, but with no intentions on trading. My emerald beauty has been more than adequate, and I still love her, stains, dings and scratches included. BTW, java, thanks for the wiper blade info. I'm still on my original front pair (for real) but think it's getting to be time for something new. Talk to you all soon!

Linda
    Long time no read! A few of us were wondering about you recently, but I know your hectic schedule. 65k miles, wow, and the van's holding up well? That's great! It's good to hear the the wipers worked out for you... my wife was just bugging me to replace them on our van, but those Bosche blades work great.

D.W. and I are discussing whether or not to trade in our '00 Emerald LX in for a 2002... only 24k on the clock so far after 2.5yrs... but we may hold out for an AWD option, if Mazda wises up and imports it in the next couple of years.

It's great to hear from you again... don't be a stranger, eh?

/javadoc
    Hey-hey! Great to see you!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Great to see you back again, and congrats on the 65k. May you do 65 more(k).

RJ
    No wonder you don't have time to stop in here often. All the best to you... :-)
    Great to hear from you! Nice to hear the MPV is going strong at 65K.

Pjd58
  • otishotish Member Posts: 59
    Hi - I just read your post and noticed your comment about the rattle that you thought was the rear window. We had a rattle back there too and thought it might be the window but it turned out to be the speaker. Something had popped out of place and my husband was able to push it back in just by pressing the speaker cover (like a tab or something came out). Just a thought that maybe it was your rattle too.
  • dmarzo1dmarzo1 Member Posts: 37
    Hi,

Just thought I would stop by and say hello. The Mrs and I have a 2000 MPV DX and have enjoyed it so far. (18K miles and going well)

I want to pass this along to whomever is interested...We have been in the market for a car video system but cannot afford one of these $1800+ custom install jobs. I came across the back seat theater system (manufactured by TMI) and I am pretty impressed with it. It has an overhead flip-down screen (6.8 inches) and a VCR. You run the wires from the screen (over the headliner) and tap into either one of the wires feeding the overhead lights or run a wire down to the fuse box. Unfortunately, I am not much of a tech and could not do the wiring myself and got pro help but outside of that I managed the installation pretty well. The VCR is plugged into the cig lighter and sends signals to the monitor through a wireless transmission box. The total system was $600 so it is a good deal for a good system.

Figured I would mention it to anyone who is interested--I am not "spamming" for the product--I did a fair amount of research but was surprised there is not a lot of message traffic on these boards about video systems. (There was one thread a year ago about this particular system)

Look forward to stopping in more often--I spend most of my time here on the Elantra boards ( a new purchase I love) but thought I would see what is happening in MPV land

Dave
  • bobaranbobaran Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to thank everyone for posting so much information about the MPV. We have been searching and researching for over a year now for a van and edmunds.com was the best site for what we wanted to know. I still find it odd and encouraging that on the MPV problems board rarely are there any problems discussed. Thats one of the major reasons we are now very proud owners of a '02 MPV LX silver as of a week ago. We initially went to the lot to check out the deals they were having in order to sell off the '01. They didn't give us the deal we wanted, but my wife asked about that 0% apr sign on a '02. We preferred the '02 for obvious reasons and were pleasantly surprised by their offer. 0%apr and dealer invoice. I still can't believe that we are driving our dream van. One of our friends who just bought a '01 Grand Caravan last year was so disappointed that they didn't wait and buy an MPV too. Our other friends driving Odyssey, Sienna, and Windstar are also very impressed with the way the MPV looks and drives. We have noticed that our friends who are not minivan people (yet) really like the way the MPV looks, saying it looks like a cross between a van, an SUV and a sports car. We couldn't agree more, and we are loving every minute we drive it.
    MPV seems to be a well kept secret.
    Glad you're so delighted with your purchase. I've had mine for a year and couldn't be happier with it. Hang around these boards and join the fun.

Happy Miles!

RJ
    Here's to many happy miles!

/javadoc
  • dbs2001dbs2001 Member Posts: 46
    Our '01 ES is 14 mo young with 10k miles & nary a problem! We love it!

Dennis
  • husker92husker92 Member Posts: 44
    That is really what it is, it is not a minivan.

Got the Sunlight Silver LX with luxury, roof rack, step guard and rear A/C. Would have gotten 17" rims if it were an option, but the 16" will do (for now).

Also wanted a spoiler, but couldn't find any. Is it very hard to add one/have one added on later?

Anyway, used the s-plan and feel like we got a good deal ($22,840 + $69 delivery). Glad to be part of the club!!!
    Glad to see you bought! Although I haven't sold the 'boss' on the idea of the rear spoiler (yet), it's really an easy install, and you can order it in your van's color code, iirc. Imo, a worthwhile accessory, as is the rear step plate. Looks like you got a good price too (S-plan, right?)!

/javadoc
    Welcome! Many happy and safe miles.

Pjd58
  • scarter7719scarter7719 Member Posts: 89
    If you decide to dump those 16" rims, give me a shout and we'll work a deal ;)

Enjoy your new MPV!

SC
    That new members tend to be welcomed like royal heirs around here? I like being part of such a friendly group. And to think, that new poll says that Americans are rude. Not on this site.

Anyway, welcome aboard Husker92. Happy Miles!

RJ
    Just so you aren't forgotten, welcome back from your sabbatical.
    Actually I wasn't gone. I just wasn't posting a lot. I was spending my time immersing myself in the dubious pleasures of my kids' Senior Research Projects. Golly, what fun!

;>

RJ
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Americans are rude? I don't know, maybe. But us Canucks are here to stir the mood up. lol :-)
  • d_r_dan_cd_r_dan_c Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,

We just bought a 2000 MPV LX ( silver; manufactured 9/1999 ) with 37K on it. Everything seems to fine, except it takes a while to start. Many thanks for Alex Vakulenko for posting TSBs on his site! My Mazda dealer's service department had no clue what it was, so I had to fax the bulletin to them in order to get it fixed. The part is expected to come in about two weeks.

Has anybody else on this board had this problem before? Did replacing the fuel pressure regulator fix it? I am also looking to replace my tires, so I'd like to get more Mazda-specific feedback.

Thanks a lot.
  • bharrellbharrell Member Posts: 21
    Hello all, I am the proud owner of my 2nd MPV-a 2002 LX w/luxury, security, roof rack, rear air, and cassette for 22,830 + TTL. We traded in a 2000 LX and are thrilled with the new one.

After much research and agonizing over the other choices, it simply came down to the fact that the MPV is a minivan that isn't too "van-like" and handles like a car. We love the fold into the floor third seat and just couldn't justify going to a larger vehicle that didn't have that feature. My husband and I have been married 16 years have 2 kids (14 and 12) and 2 mini schnauzers that travel with us crated, so sometimes we need the cargo space and sometimes we need the 3rd seat. The Odyssey was too expensive and just plain ugly in my opinion. WE had very few problems with the 2000 through 48,500 miles and expect as few with this one. It is a van that my teenage daughter says she won't mind driving when the time comes in a couple of years so that is high praise indeed!
    Congrats! I believe you will be the first of many repeat buyers.

Pjd58
  • diad98diad98 Member Posts: 5
    say hi to everyone,

just bought my 2002 shimmering sand MPV ES+fog light+roof rack+cargo net+spoiler+bumper plate, out of door for $28350 (8.25% tax in CA) for 2yr 0% financing, spending most of time in dealership to cut down $50
    Congratulations! You're gonna be one happy driver.

Happy Miles!

RJ
  • dick_jamesdick_james Member Posts: 2
    Hi, everyone,

I am trying to bargain with Mazda dealer on the 2002 Mazda MPV LX. I read the message #282 posted by bharrell about her new 2002 Mazda MPV LX. I have some questions for bharrell. Did you have luxury package included? Could you please give pices you paid in detail? Including the base price, the price for the options. I was wondering how you got the new van with $22,830.

Thank you, have a nice day,
  • m1tommym1tommy Member Posts: 29
    Well Hello, We (me, wife 2 munchkins) are shopping for minivans nowadays, as the '96 Corolla wagon seems to have shrunken on us. The wife and I drove a Montana and Sienna this morning. This afternoon I took the 5 year old out to test drive an Oddessey. On a whim, we walked to the Mazda dealership about 200 yards up the road. I drove one about 15 miles and was impressed. It had much less of that ponderous, "feels like driving a tunnel" sensation than some other vans had.

The dealer has a white LX with leather upholstery by "Soft Trim", a "1LX" package, DVD/TV tuner setup (DVD under the driver's seat, screen that drops down and swivels), a radio/CD player (didn't think to look for details there), roof rack, dual A/C all listing for $25,010. Per my ciphers from a Kelley's Blue Book print out, that is just barely over invoice, not including the leather. Am I missing something here? Should we take the salesman up on his offer to drive it a day or two? Also, the salesman seemed very eager to "talk" about he pricing for the van. I can tell he wants my Toyota, but unless he makes a great offer, I'll sell it myself. The MPV van (now) has 22 miles on its odometer.

Oh, there seems to be an "extra" antenna, across the interior, upper edge of the windshield. Is this for the TV tuner, and is it ever a problem of any kind?

Am I on the wrong forum? If so, my apologies. Please direct em to an appropriate site. I've only recently found "Edmunds", and am suffering a bit of sleep deprivation because of it.

Opinions and/or advice are appreciated.
    Tommy
  • owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    The price I am figuring up is an LX, lux pkg, 4 seasons, rear A/C, roof rack and destination for $23336. The DVD player appears to be a dealer add-on since Mazda will not put them in the 2002 models until late this month or next. An installed entertainment system goes for $900 to 1200. The leather seats are also a dealer add-on because Mazda only puts leather in the ES model.

As with most dealer installed options, there is probably quite a bit of padding on the price. Also, I would make sure all the seats function properly - are they recovered Mazda or OEM? Does the 3rd seat function as advertised? How much did they want for the leather? I am leery about the dealer installed leather seats and what type of warranty they have if you move away from the dealer.

If you are not sold on the leather seats, I would look for an LX with the luxury, security (Traction control, side impact airbags, alarm and foglights) and 4 season packages. If you want leather, get an ES.

You should be able to get a lower price. Don't forget about the $1000 Mazda to dealer incentive money (expires at the end of the month).

Take your time looking at MPVs. Go to www.mazdausa.com and use the dealer locator to check dealer inventories in your area. If you don't find one in your immediate area, put in another zip code further down the road.

Also, there are quite a few more MPV discussion groups here at Edmunds that contain a lot of info.

RBB
    RBB,

are they recovered Mazda or OEM?
    They are recovered by "Classic Soft Trim", who has a shop nearby. This company seems pretty well respected in this work, per my internet dredgings. I went over the leather pretty thoroughly and it seems well done, with a heavy grade covering and nice stitching.

Does the 3rd seat function as advertised? Yes,
    I tried everything I could think of, with everything working well.

How much did they want for the leather?
    It was not listed on the window sticker.

I am leery about the dealer installed leather seats and what type of warranty they have if you move away from the dealer.
    The leather is warranted by "Classic Soft Trim" for 3 years after vehicle purchase. They have shope nationwide.

Thanks for the reply,
    Tommy
    A good list to have when you check out the vehicle can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mpv2000/files/Checklist.txt I downladed the all the stats on the MPV from Edmunds directly to my Palm along with the checklist.

RBB

Thanks for the checklist. I'll use it next test drive.

While my wife was driving an MPV this evening, it was pointed out that the "Entertainment Center" and leather upholstery is not included in the window sticker "list price". A bit of awkward quiet followed. The TV is not a big item to us, and wifey doesn't really "need" the leather like I think we "need" it.

My company gets me an "S price" via Ford. I left the folks at the dealership with some homework, to give the "S price" for several different configurations. It's in their court now.

Also, they have a loaner with 6k miles, a 2000 ES with many bells and whistles in an, umm, interesting electric blue that the wife strangely likes. We may look at it closer. My only concern is the engine.

Thank you for the reply,
    Tommy
    My wife was not sold on the leather either, but she really wanted the power doors, which are not available on the LX. The doors won out and we got an ES (I also feel the ES with the 17" tires handles better than the 16" or 15" tires).

If you want an LX decked out as close as you can to an ES, get one with the 4 seasons, luxury pkg, and security pkg.

As for the 2000 ES - to make sure you will be happy with it, take a test drive through a section that has a few hills, accceleration (freeway on ramps) and stop and go. Then take a 2002 for a drive on the same route. Make mental notes about the rpms, engine noise and shifting. My wife's observations (mine don't count since she will be the primary driver ;^) was that the 2002 had less engine noise (less revving the engine to hit a shift point), shifting was smoother (5 spd vs. 4 spd), and it can accelerate much faster. YMMV.

As for the S-Plan - you may get a better deal on your own. Take the numbers from the http://www.edmunds.com/new/2002/mazda/mpv/van/minivan/index.html figure out your invoice price, subtract off $500 to $750 (remember they are getting $1000 back from Mazda as an incentive and a holdback of 2% of the base price). Add back in the sales tax (make sure you get the right rate - VA does 3% on cars and 4.5 on everything else...), destination $520, and license, etc. Use that as a starting point. Tell them that is the price you want to pay total - out the door - no other costs. No need to break it down for them - they can figure out what their profit will be. Know your upper limit and when to just walk away. It helps to have the spouse clued in so on cue, they can say "No, we don't need the car. Let's go."

RBB

Sir, Has your family been happy with the power doors? We've looked at two different minivans, with very different sales "pitches". The Honda dealer demonstrated their doors' closing mechanism safety by putting a couple fingers in its way, showing how gentle it was. I did it myself, to see if per chance he was a "tough dude". A certain Pontiac salesman bluntly warned us that, "this door can break a child's arm if it is caught in it...". That concluded our consideration of Pontiac's Montana.

There are no hills close by, but plenty of challenging interstates!
    Tommy
    My wife loves the power doors. They make it so much easier to load our 1 and 3 year olds into their seats. She can pop the doors from inside the house when she has the kids under control rather than trying to unlock them with a key.

I have tested them myself, and while they do exert some force, the safety override does work. I doubt it is enough to break a child's arm. I would worry more about someone slamming an unpowered door on a child than a power door. The chances of one of our kids being caught in the door is very unlikely. Both are always buckled in before the doors are closed.

RBB
    Sir, Our 2 boys are always buckled and checked before the doors close. I've been a bit of seat belt proponent ever since the dust setled one afternoon in 2000 and I found myself still suspended from the lap and shoulder belts of my Rabbit.

Thanks for the reply. I have a question about a 2000 model ES on the "Minivan shopper" forum.
    Tommy
    We bought an '02 model LX, white, with just the items we (well, wifey) really wanted. The sales folks were great, putting up with 5 or 6 test drives and my repeated visits over a 10 day period. The dealer gave me a voucher, so that I can buy an upgrade to leather through "Classic Soft Trim" for a substantial discount, if within the next year.

All seem pleased with the MPV.

Thanks to all who replied to my posts.
    Tommy
  • marti77marti77 Member Posts: 22
    hi guys: i'm back again after a long absence!!! this time with a brand spankin' new 02 sage green LX loaded with everything but the kitchen sink!!! i'm initially "blown away" with the improvement in acceleration and performance over my "old" 00 DX model!!! this, plus the fact that they've been able to make what was a great "machine" even greater leads me to believe that i've once again bought into something i'm really "gonna" enjoy!!!
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Fine just tease us, make us jealous and then leave. No details no information on how your deal went etc, etc, etc,

You should have kissed us too!! LOL
    Where have you been all these months? Missed you.

RJ
  • marti77marti77 Member Posts: 22
    It was indeed a sad day when i gave up my "endeared" 00 DX as trade in on a new 02 LX loaded!!! it was like saying good buy to a good friend who had never failed me!!! yes, i did indeed take my share of verbal "abuse" from all the "Ody" owners for being underpowered and second best, but i simply kept my foot in it and went about my way thinking, at least, i didn't have to wait in line and then pay sticker or above to own one!!!
    It's the ................................ across the suject line that brought it all back. Welcome back Marti!
This discussion has been closed.