Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Care & Maintenance

Comments

• mlokrenmlokren Member Posts: 1
    I have this same issue. What is the fix? How much is the cost?

The blower doesn't work on 1, 2 and 3 speeds...but the A/C compressor engages! On speed 4, the blower activates, but the A/C compressor disengages! What the ????
  • stouiestouie Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 2000 LX and took it to a dealer and they removed the whole box,I guess there a couple of bolts beneath it that let you take the box out of the car and then you can access the bottom of the screws you cant get ahold of
  • vera5vera5 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for this.This is exactly what has happened to me.I will be back at the dealership tomorrow. They need to do a better job first time!! :sick:
  • jdog29jdog29 Member Posts: 1
    I Just had the same problem on my 2002 focus SE, and also in simalar situation. I drove round trip from Dallas to MT in July 2006. My car had 60,000 miles on it when I returned to Dallas. Once back in Dallas, I changed the brakes, oil, and did a radiator flush using the prestone radiator flush. I then drove all the way back to Montana w/ no problems. 2 days after arriving in MT I noticed a puddle in the driveway. It doesn't leak while the engine is warm, but if left to sit cold it will lose almost a liter/day. I searched and searched and finally found the source (thermostat). That is how I found your message. I bought the "melenium platinum" warranty from the dealership, but i still have to take the car in to see if it is an approved repair. Even then there is a $100 deductable on my plan. I'm thinking about just replacing it my self. I do still refill and drive my car w/ no problems, I just wanna get it fixed before the freezing weather sets in.
  • 0311vn0311vn Member Posts: 47
    We bought it two weeks after Sept 11th when the American car companies rolled out the zero financing offers. We just made the last payment this week. Our Focus SE wagon has 71K on it.

For a small car I appreciate the utility of its interior with the back seats down. Most SUV have little utility in this regard as witnessed in my son's SUV.

Friends of mine bought an 01 Focus, the first year they came out, I think, and had numerous problems with it and recalls. I have had the trans casing replaced when it was fairly new due to a hairline crack, at no cost. In my previous post I pointed out the two cooling system problems I had in June.

We paid 17K for the car. I got a $600. discount through a retired Ford worker buddy on the X Plan or whatever it's called. I'm a bit puzzled at the price of the car in 01 as the Focus seems to be selling at a lower price now.

I tend not to get very ego involved with my cars, so I believe I can give an honest appraisal of it, as I do with places I visit. I would probably give my Focus wagon a C plus. I give it a higher grade for its fuel milage; I got as high as 34 to several tanks driving through the SW. I clock most of the fill ups to have an idea if there is a problem by noting a drop in fuel milage. I give it a B plus on the highway and B minus in the city for fule milage. Actually, any vehicle that can get in the mid 30s on the highway probably should rate an A minus.

I doubt if I would buy another Focus, not so much that I am disappointed with the car but that I prefer something larger for highway driving, even a mini van. I had a 86 Honda Accord that I put 200K on with major repairs beginning at 90K (alternator, water pump, trans replacement) to 140K. The AC system on the Accord went out when it was five years old; too early in my book.

If I went with another new Ford I might pick a Fusion. Click and Clack on NPR say the Ford 500 is a solid car, but they really killed the styling from the original design I saw at the Detroit Auto Show around five years ago.

Grade C on the Focus, as I said.
  • y2kfocusy2kfocus Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 ZX3 (automatic) with 45,000 miles has developed a miss so I replaced the spark plugs now it runs without the miss. But a recent check of MPG shows only about 21 MPG, when new the MPG was 25. I suspect the throttle body; has anyone had a similar experience?
  • kcnnc1kcnnc1 Member Posts: 1
    In the past three weeks I've heard a "rumbling" noise under the hood whenever I start the car in the morning. In PARK and REVERSE I notice it the worst and only when the engine is cold. First, I thought it was bad tires since I first noticed the rumbling after I got out on the road. But then I noticed it just sitting still. As soon as the engine warms up though, the noise goes away. Anyone have a clue on this one? I'm trying to decide whether to repair or just trade my car for a Honda or Toyota. After my Focus had a lot of major repairs (under warranty, thank goodness and too numerous to count) it has runs wonderfully, but now...this. Thanks!
  • geviriyahgeviriyah Member Posts: 1
    i just have a quick question how do you take the stereo out?
  • 0311vn0311vn Member Posts: 47
    My 01 Focus has 72K on it. I'm wondering if it is time to change the struts as it sometimes seems to have a bit of a wobble at high speed.

Does the Focus have struts or shocks?

I also notice that it has a squeak in the suspension when I get in and out.

If I need struts/shocks should all four be replaced together. What am I looking at to replace two or all four?
  • michaelhendermichaelhender Member Posts: 2
    Hope you found info before now, but am having the same problem. I understand that the solution is to open up fuse panel cover, see two hold down screws on the fuse block itself. Remove these two screws and flip the fuse block over! There is one 20 amp fuse located on the back of the fuse block! Replace blown fuse, replace fuse block if you can still find the two screws, and... viola! My dealer wanted to rewire the system for $1,500! Go figure...hope this helps.
  • michaelhendermichaelhender Member Posts: 2
    Hope you found info before now, but am having the same problem. I understand that the solution is to open up fuse panel cover, see two hold down screws on the fuse block itself. Remove these two screws and flip the fuse block over! There is one 20 amp fuse located on the back of the fuse block! Replace blown fuse, replace fuse block if you can still find the two screws, and... viola! My dealer wanted to rewire the system for $1,500! Go figure...hope this helps.
  • nickyd186nickyd186 Member Posts: 4
    i noticed today that a metal sheet is hanging down underneath my car (Ford focus V reg)it seems to go from the passenger side underneath the exhaust box and stops ends underneath the drivers side where its hanging down any help with what it is would be grateful as i've looked through my maintenance books and cant find what it may be.
  • roushroush Member Posts: 1
    I want to know if anyone can help i have a 2000 focus zx3 and when i turn the key the electrical sounds like there is a short i changed the battery now the starter is making clicking noises and the electrical didn't change anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it if it would be better to take it to a shop
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    reset itself to 0.0 and stays that way. ?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Hi all. I have a 2001 ZX3 with "alloy" wheels. These things looked very cool for the first couple of years, but now have a bunch of whiteish salt stains that I think are impossible to remove. Any thoughts as to what or how to get these wheels looking good again? Thanks.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The alloys are clear coated, you can try using a cleaner wax such as Nu-Finish, just don't get any on the brake discs.

Mark.
  • rwgreenbergrwgreenberg Member Posts: 154
    Thanks for the response, Mark. It seems a pitty that the wheels have this clear coat stuff on them. How could this hold up? It would seem like clearcoating wouldn't last very long when put on wheels. Maybe I can strip it off with something and leave the nice pure metal (assuming it is a nice pure metal) left.
    that would be a big mistake. the clearcoat is what hwlps the wheels look so good. i would clean the wheels and follow mark's advice.
  • 3screwsloose3screwsloose Member Posts: 116
    The purpose of the clear coat is protection of the alloy ( aluminum ) wheels from corrosion due to salt, dirt, etc. I f you strip it off you will be in a big canoe without a paddle.
    NOT PRETTY!

Mark.
  • likeitornotlikeitornot Member Posts: 42
    I have an Focus Sedan 2005 Zx4

Twice this month when I've started it, it kind of hesitated and wouldn't completely start. I had to turn off and turn the key again and then it was fine.
    Both times were after it's been cold and it's been a few days since I started it. So I don't know if that's normal.

The other thing is my lights. I brought it to be fixed for something else and they said the lights were fine. For some reason the lights do not stay on. If I do get them to stay on and then use the directionals, they go off and not back on. To keep them on, I have to hold the stupid switch thing down which of course is really hard while driving. It doesnt click or stay in place for some reason.

Anyone ever have these problems?:blush:
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    sounds like you need to drive your vehicle a bit more often when it's cold, and drive for a while so the vehicle both has time to get to temperature and re-charge the battery. when it's really cold, just short trips are gonna not be good for the vehicle or the battery.

i presume you mean the stalk mounted switch for the lights. sounds like it needs replacement. any chance the vehicle is still under warranty? explain very clearly what the problem is with the lights (you mean head lights right?). you move the switch to the on position and it doesn't stay? or they come on, but when you use your directionals, thy turn off?

not familiar with your car and how, where the switches for directional and lights are mounted, but it seems like you may have a mechanical and electrical issue in the steering column.
    I would go to Advanced Autoparts or the local equivalent, they will let you borrow their hand held battery tester.

You could always consider investing in a trickle charger, they are very inexpensive.

With the Secur-loc anti theft device, you are always drawing a small amount of charge.

Mark.
  • stewharrstewharr Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 Ford Focus SE Sport with 87566 miles from the original owner. The car is great except that when you first start driving it, or when in heavy traffic, and you have the heater on, you smell burnt oil. I have seen that there are some TSB's that this problem may fall into. I was wondering if anyone else in this forum has had this problem and how much I can expect to pay, if anything, to get it fixed. Here are the TSB's. Thanks.

* TSB #15343 -- CONCERNS WITH OIL SMELL IN PASSENGER COMPARTMENT. *TT (NHTSA ID #630262, OCTOBER 01 2001)
    * TSB #15163 -- SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT AN OIL SMELL IN PASSENGER COMPARTMENT. *YH (NHTSA ID #624624, AUGUST 01 2001)
    * TSB #14846 -- SOME VEHICLES WITH 2.0L SPI ENGINE ONLY, MAY EXHIBITA BURNING OIL SMELL NOTED FROM OUTSIDE OR FROM WITHIN THE PASSENGER COMPARTMENT. *TT (NHTSA ID #619329, APRIL 01 2001)
  • dball1dball1 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a used 2005 Focus ST. I'm wondering what dealer in the northern part of DFW you all would recommend for service or warranty issues. I don't have any issues, just want to know.. Thanks!
  • shirotorishirotori Member Posts: 51
    I thought this survey from Top Gear was pretty interesting.

http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/024-cant-get-no-satisfaction/
  • focusowner2focusowner2 Member Posts: 9
    4/8/2002 21800 0 Ignition Lock Tumblers
    2/4/2003 47113 406.64 Four Tires
    2/12/2003 51009 332.25 Brakes
    5/24/2003 60293 431.44 Oil Change, Balance tires, Fuel Filter, Pollen Filter, Transmission Fluid Change, PCV Valve, Cooling System Flush
    4/9/2004 87015 420.06 Oil Change, four tires
    8/6/2004 95800 133.27 Warrant Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, Cooling System Service (radiator), wheel bearing
    10/21/2004 101695 627.48 Spark plugs, Trasmission fluid changed, Front and Rear brakes,
    11/2/2004 102437 305.78 Thermostat Housing and Assembly
    12/15/2004 105500 119.31 Battery
    4/4/2005 113674 258.36 Replace Timing Belt
    5/10/2005 116407 314.01 Two tires, Four wheel alignment
    8/27/2005 125993 264.04 Two New tires
    9/10/2005 126578 120.81 One Tire (hole in sidewall)
    10/15/2005 128549 17.57 Cooling System Service (radiator), self
    10/16/2006 137256 802.62 Throttle cable, right wheel bearing, fuel filter, pcv valve
    1/13/2007 139795 35.04 Transmission fluid change,self $4.60/qt (< 3 qts)
  • barpbarp Member Posts: 1
    What does the light indicate? I checked the trans fluid-OK, and the manual suggest having vehicle serviced, for what ? !
  • egutinegutin Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I used to read these boards back in 2000 when I decided to buy my ZX3 - the advice was priceless.

I am now at 128K miles, and still going strong. Ive had a few repairs along the way, but nothing that convinced me to look elsewhere. Knock-on-wood a lot of the non-recall issues affecting this first MY have not affected me.

I am having two weird things going on which may or may not be related:

1 - In higher gears I have to depress the gas more than usual in order for anything to happen (higher RMPs, more power). It makes it hard to maintain a regular speed. There is a slight jump when the gas kicks in.

2 - Sometimes when sitting at a stop sign or red light after downshifting to neutral the engine races up to 3K before settling down to a normal idle.

Any ideas? Any questions?

Thanks in advance

- E
  • jbconnjbconn Member Posts: 1
    2001 ZX3 with 142,000 miles. Hatchback won't open. Remote switch does not engage solenoid but the key will no longer open door either. What gives? The key unlocks but will not release door to open.
  • john181john181 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Focus Sw with 140k miles. Mine developed the oil smell after about 50K miles. Turned out to be the valve cover gasket. I replaced it and have had no further odor. By the way, it is a Zetec engine

John
  • dupes01dupes01 Member Posts: 13
    Anybody out there have a focus that makes a clunking noise when going over bumpy roads? Noise is louder when the temperature is cold. Seems to be coming from the front end.

I have a 2003 ZX3 with 100K miles. Thought I'd ask since most problems I had so far have been experienced by many owners.
  • blackbjablackbja Member Posts: 1
    Hello all-
    It's time to trade my big SUV for a more fuel-efficient vechicle. I like the Focus for its price and efficency, and am strongly considering a 2007 ZX4 S, then probably trading it after a year or so if I don't like it. After reading this board, I see a lot of problems with the 2000 model year, but is there anthing I should be concerned about with the new ones?
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    Welcome to these boards. I contribute from time to time over the last 3 years or so. At that time I bought a 2004 FOCUS zts based upon several factors including favorable comments that NEWER FOCI were receiving on these boards. I still have many strongly favorable views about the car, but if economy (Maximum mpg's) were the only consideration, then I would not recommend it over other choices, either new or used in this category.
    The strong points of the Focus are vehicle dynamics, and fun to drive type factors. If you are a person who has a "feel for the road", you will get this in the Focus and appreciate that there are very few cars in any price range that are its equal in this "Driver Oriented" factor. These factors, btw, make for a safer car as you may stay alert enough to avoid an accident.
    If you have an environmental consideration,(perhaps that is why you are switching from the SUV), then Focus' PZEV rating is about as clean as you get without going to the Hybrid.
    i just had a couple of tsb's done on my '04 focus. there are plastic/rubber insulators that wrap around the front coil springs. i had a metal on metal rubbing noise and a whap/whap noise when turning. replacing them took care of that tightened the steering/suspension feel over bumps.
    you can look at them and see if they are bad.
    also, i had a creaking noise from the back of the car when i would get in or out. the sway bars links were replaced and that noise is gone, also.
  • focustwopointofocustwopointo Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone replaced their timing belt yet on a 2000 focus with the DOHC motor? I have 109,000 miles and I think the car would benefit from a set a struts and shocks? thanks.
    No Focus motor has a timing belt.

Mark.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    Are you sure? :confuse: I thought the Chains came in only with the 2.3 and maybe the other Duratech motors?
    The 2.0 SPI did have a timing belt.

Here is the wikipedia link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_CVH_engine

According to www.fleet.ford.com. Timing belt should be changed every 120k miles.
  • pigloverpiglover Member Posts: 25
    About a week ago, the automatic door locks and trunk release stopped working. So I suspected a blown fuse. I have been following the posts (#166, 195 and 202) about fuse 63 being so inaccessible. However, I am hesitant to monkey with the fuse panel and I was going to go to the dealer.
    Now I notice the red light door ajar signal is on when I am driving; and I found out why. When I press on the brake pedal the trunk unlocks and the indicator light goes on. This is weird. Fortunately, the lid doesn't pop open. Any ideas? Is there a short. How can the locking mechanism be related to the brake light?
    Up until now I had nothing but praise for the Ford Focus. But to place fuse 63 behind the fuse panel under some wires is plain dumb.
    Louie
  • mylespangmylespang Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this!. I found the fuse (63 for the door locks) and sure enough it was blown. At first I thought this was a prank posting to be honest. I couldn't believe it. Even though there are spare fuse spots on the front of the fuse box they (Ford) chose to place a lone fuse on the back hidden underneath the wiring harness. There is absolutely no technical or logical reason for this. I can only assume it is to rip off the customer... Not impressed. I really have nothing against Ford and have been generally happy with the car but this is not cool.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    maybe it was an afterthought. those things happen.
  • pigloverpiglover Member Posts: 25
    Re: post 226,trunk unlocks when brake pedal depressed. Well, the dealer said it was a short in a wire in the rear quarter panel. It took several hours of labor to find it. The dealer's bill said that fuse 63 blew a few times, so there was a short. Well it cost me $430. I still can't believe the location of fuse 63.
    Piglover
  • p0werp0wer Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 ZX3 ford focus that is leaking some fluid on my clutch pedal. It seems to be some kind of oil or grease? What is it and how do I make it stop. Thanks :)
  • randomnessrandomness Member Posts: 10
    I ran over a curb trying to avoid an accident. As I was going over and the back went down my seatbelt tightened, left a nice mark in my neck and then the car smelled like rubber and the back tire was smoking. It stopped and I was able to drive it home. On the way home I noticed the airbag light on..the one that shows a stickfigure with an airbag in his face.

I called the Ford Service place where I got it to get their opinion and they said it should be looked at. They said it should only come out on "Impact" and I asked if running over a curb was considered an "impact" and the guy was like.."uhhh guess not but still should be looked at". The "uhhh" makes me wonder if he just wanted money or he was serious. lol

What's the real deal with the airbag light? Is the only concern that if I get in an accident it won't come out? Or will it randomally pop out as I'm driving?

Airbag issues common with fords or something? My mother smashed into a small car with her Explorer and her airbag didn't even come out. We got the cars from different places too. :confuse:
    You may have tripped the seat belt auto tentioner, get it looked at.

The tech you spoke to was technically incorrect, it is not impact that sets off the air bags, its rate of deceleration.

Your mom may have hit something, but the rate of deceleration was not enough to trip the air bag. This makes sense if you are correct that your mom hit a smaller car and you remember from high school physics that the vehicle with lower mass absorbs more of the energy of the crash.
  • vtbobvtbob Member Posts: 3
    The 2.0L dual overhead cam Zetec-E engine DOES have a timing BELT!
  • dj2bigdj2big Member Posts: 9
    i traded my suv and i can say im not looking back.
    since i was going into a smaller more inexpensive to drive car i opted for a loaded ses version minus the leather and yes its true 30mpg!!!
  • sue31sue31 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Piglover, for your help (message #65 under Electrical Problems, see also #226-229 here). The neighborhood mechanic was able to fix the power locks/trunk quickly and it cost half of what the dealer wanted just to diagnose the problem. My trunk hasn't popped open when the headlights are turned on since I took the trunk light out (it wouldn't turn off) but I will put it back in and try now. Thanks again!
  • mrsdonimrsdoni Member Posts: 4
    Hello all. This forum seems very informative and I am hoping it will suggest a fix to my problem.
    I bought my adorable 2005 Ford Focus SES brand new. It now has about 45,000 miles on it. It is a super fun car to drive and gets great gas mileage!
    However, it is eating tires very quickly. I replaced the first set of tires at 22k and now I need new tires again. The problem is that the car will NOT stay aligned. I have had it 4-wheel aligned 3 times in the past two years (each time all four tires were out of alignment, ESPECIALLY the back tires). I take it to the dealership for all work. They only suggested that I get it realligned every 6 months. GAAAD!! They must be joking!
    Is there a recall or a replacement kit I can get to fix this problem? I can not continue to buy a set of tires every year. :(