Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Care and Maintenance

Comments

• strawberry5921strawberry5921 Member Posts: 15
    Hey. This is late,but I'm new. I wondered the same thing. I haul stuff in plastic bins for my small business. I came up with this idea. My sign co. always wraps the signs in this really nice thin foam i guess you call it. I always kept the stuff cause it was so nice. So I went and asked to buy some. They gave me - I tripled it for the whole back and got some to protect the seat backs too. Working good so far. The width was already perfect pretty much.
  • hondalovahondalova Member Posts: 189
    Just thought you'd all want to know that, once they installed the torque converter, not only was the juddering problem solved, but the buzz/hum at 40 mph is greatly diminished as well. So - a hassle at first but, in the end, worked out for the better. Good luck and thanks for all the help.
  • thezonethezone Member Posts: 26
    This issue started happening last week on my 2004 Honda Odyssey - When you lock the van with the remote it used to give a "honk" to indicate that it is locked, now there is no sound - though the doors lock.

Anyone had this issue before or any possible reasons?

Thanks,
    :confuse:
  • graystricklandgraystrickland Member Posts: 51
    For some reason my message (#683) is not being
    cutoff where I can't read all of it after posting. I hope
    that this posting without a picture makes all of the
    text visible.

How do you replace the lights behind the HVAC cluster? How the light in the lip over the dvd player? Or the lights behind the left and right seat heater switches? Or the lights behind the transmission selector (park, reverse, neutral, drive....)? Or the dash switches to the left of the steering wheel?

My 2005 Odyssey has 108k miles on it. I routinely drive with the lights on (day and night). Many of these lights are out on my van, but I can't find anything about this in the owner's manual or the the expensive Helm shop manual or Helm electrical system manual that I bought. It's not a fuse, because they've been going gradually. I don't relish the thought of paying the dealer to do this.
  • rbc1942rbc1942 Member Posts: 4
    We had the same problem. Eventually the driver's side door would not unlock and we had the door lock system replaced. Costly!
  • petras2petras2 Member Posts: 104
    my '06 odyssey has only 29,000 mi. I know that certain coolants have a max age life in addition to mileage life..having no real guidance,(mileage/age), in the maint. manual, any thoughts on when this coolant should be replaced?
  • johnuserjohnuser Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 started that wierd behavior too. I lock the van and the horn does not sound and there is not blinking lights whatsoever, suddenly it starts working again for no reason. One thing I can tell and it seems this behavior started when the outside temperature is low...
  • frank126frank126 Member Posts: 2
    Folks,

My 2006 Honda Odyssey at 37000 miles had the maintenance minder come on with Code B but there was no sub item code displayed (such as 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5). Have you seen that before? If yes what was the fix? According to manual a sub item code should appear.

Thanks
  • heukenheuken Member Posts: 11
    That seems kind of strange. I would try resetting it like you would after an oil change. Change the oil while your at it!
    If that don't work, call service at a Honda dealer, they may help.
    Write back if you figure it out.
    Thanks Karl
  • frank126frank126 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I did the oil change, reset the service minder and the service code reset to 100% as normal. I guess I have to wait to next service minder. I called the Honda dealer about it and they said it is strange too! I will wait to next service minder before I take it in in case it happened again.

Thanks
    On my 2007 Ody-Ex, when I close the power sliding door on the driver's side - it will close and latch. But 5 seconds later, it will make a small electric motor sound and pop loose again (i.e. back of door pops out like its about to open and there is a visible gap in the front of the door big enough to actuate the interior light and the door ajar sensor on the dash).

I have checked the track for debris/obstructions/loose rubber trim, etc. and can find nothing visibly out of place or different from it working sibling on the passenger side.

Any ideas of what's causing this? If you have a TSB all the better. Thanks!

-FS :cry:
  • obrien040362obrien040362 Member Posts: 134
    edited March 2010
    There is a service bulletin for all 2005- 2007 and some 2008 models. The bulletin indicates the power steering fluid reservoir cap is faulty (a $14 part). If you don't get it fixed containments will leak into the fluid and your transmission pump will fail and the repair will be $500+. A service bulletin is not a recall, but a solution to a problem, In this case the problem is power steering noise, but once the noise is noticeable the pump is most likely bad. I would suggest the next time you have you vehicle in for service have the dealership perform this service bulletin. It will be covered under warranty if you are under the warranty max mileage (60,000?).
    Dealer replaced door latch and the sensor in the sliding door - all under Honda Cares extended warranty. No Charge = Happy Camper! :)
    Does anyone have this recall notice and, if so, can you post it on this thread so those of us with covered vehicles can read it? It's interesting that this just came out - as I just took my Ody to my mechanic about a month ago complaining that my brakes did not seem to be stopping the vehicle as quickly as they should. If anyone has any info. on this, I would be grateful. Thanks!
  • ben70ben70 Member Posts: 16
    My 2006 Odyssey radio just began changing frequency by itself. I sprayed the TUNE control with CRC QD Contact Cleaner (available at Home Depot). Don't spray too much since the chemical is known to attack plastic and don't use anything else. One application is fine. In the olden days we used it to clean TV tuners. It was called "tuner tonic" in those days. So far - so good; the radio is staying on the set frequency.
  • cache22cache22 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2007 Odyssey with only 15000 miles. After I have driven on the freeway for about an hour and then exit off I get a whining sound when I turn the steering wheel in either direction. I'm going at a much slower speed on a city street and the sound is distinctly a whine/air sound. Now if the van is parked for 5 or 10 minutes there is no more whining sound coming from turning the steering wheel. Does anyone know what the problem is? Or is this a common thing with the Odyssey?
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Have you checked the power steering fluid level??
  • confused32confused32 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem. What did you do to fix the problem?
    Took it to the dealer and had the door latch replaced. Problem has not recurred since then. :shades:
  • asf0asf0 Member Posts: 1
    I just took the my car to the dealer to get the needed maintenance (oil change and tire rotation). The service advisor recommended 3 additional maintenance procedures:

1) PCV valve replacement $119 (don't remember why)

2) Power Steering fluid change $89.95 (said the fluid was dark and should be lighter. Also said power steering was an issue with 2007 Odyssey's)

3) Throttle body service $79.95 (saw carbon build-up on the throttle body plate).

My car seems to be running fine. Are these items needed maintenance?

Thanks in advance.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,511
    edited October 2010
    Need help here. I think I am missing something obvious.

Got new pollen (cabin) filters for my accord and odyssey. Accord, dropped glove box and popped it right in.

Odyssey, for the life of me, I can't get the lower glove box to drop (and I know that I have replaced tis myself, almost positive).

Took the little arm on the left side off the peg. Then, squeezed the sides in as much as I could, but it would not budge. I was at the point where I thought I was going to rip the darned thing out of the car or snap it if I pushed any harder.

Is there some magic step I am missing? Cause I really hate to pay the dealer to do this, when I have one sitting in the garage!

###############################
    UPDATE: OK, figured it out (thanks to the miracle of google). I did not realize that you had to pry the clips out of the side of the glove box. I guess those stops make it glide better, but really seem to be overkill!

But, as with most projects, now that I fiugred it out, I could do another one in about 30 seconds.

And man, that filter was nasty full of crap and dirt. Going on 6 years old (the car) and just turned 60K, and this is probably the 2nd replacement? Unless I missed one, but I am thinking yearly might be a little better idea!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• azkid2azkid2 Member Posts: 47
    I have an '08 ODY with the same mileage and just had my oil changed. None of these items were trying to be "sold" to me. Click and Clack, the tappett brothers, from NPR radio would probably call those items "wallet flushes", your wallet.. If you are concerned try a different dealer and if they wouldn't recommend it, then I would change dealers. BTW some service people treat females a lot different from males.
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    edited October 2010
    Just got a notice for the PCM Update for my '10 Odyssey. A little annoyed the dealer didn't say anything about it last week when I took it in for the first oil change. Anyone else just receive the letter?
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    No, I haven't. Do you know if this is for all 2010s?
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    Yes, I did. Already had it fixed.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    I was told I needed new door hinges. It will cost $500 inlcuding paint. My 2002 Odyssey has 267,000 kms on it. Anybody else done this?
    edited December 2010
    I have an 07 Odyssey EX with 83,000 miles. I also have a 5 yr./100k mile HondCares warranty.

While at the local mechanic for an oil change last week, he pointed out that my front motor mount is starting to go. He powerbraked it (no more than 1500 rpm) and each time he stepped on the throttle from idle, I could see the engine move what appeared to be about 7-10 degrees of motion.

Is this normal for this car? Do you think it would be covered by the HondaCares warranty? It seems like it's pretty clearly a powertrain issue.

Thanks in advance!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The best thing to do is ask the dealer. IMHO, a motor mount isn't part of the the powertrain.
  • hondaoddityhondaoddity Member Posts: 25
    edited December 2010
    Even if it's not, it should be covered under the stated warranty. And, a motor mount in a vehicle this new, even with the mileage, should never fail.
    motor mounts and rear shocks are another know trouble area with the Odyssey. While you would think that the mounts should last, they often go early. Just another downside to trying to get to fancy with technology (why use a $20 solid mount, when a $500 electronic gizmo prone to failure can be used instead?)

In some ways, the Japanese makers are going down the same road the Euros did. Increasingly complex (and failure prone) technology for minimal if any noticable gain.

the shocks, IMO they are just way undersized for the loads a minivan tends to carry. Only car I ever had where both rear shocks were shot (leaking and blown, not just wearing out from use) in under 40K.

Oh, and while it is true the Honda powertrain warranty probably would not include motor mounts, the Honda care most likely will. And they are not particularly cheap to replace.

• longwayslongways Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the tip as to how to get the glove compartment off. My car is almost three years old and this is the first time I changed the cabin filter and I think I'll change this every year from now on. The filter looked horrible!!!
  • fbc2009fbc2009 Member Posts: 7
    Hello every one, I am new at this forum so maybe some else asked my question. I purchased an used 2007 Odyssey with 54k on it. I noticed that in the user manual Honda didn't put the scheduled maintenance program like it had on the previous Odyssey generation. Do you know where I could find one? Thank you for your help
    the intent is that you wait for the maintenance minder lights up, and then the dealer will translate the codes. And most likely try to sell you a bunch of other stuff.

I am not sure if you can find an actual schedule now, but you may be able to find one from an earlier model (not sure if my 2005 manual has anything, and I don't have it handy).

I do have a 2005 Accord also, so I tend to look at that for reference.

At that mileage, at minimum you would have been due for a brake fluid flush, cabin filter, and the usual oil changes.

Me, I would replace the engine air filter and for sure do a tranny fluid chance (drain/fill) just to be cautious. Timing belt is due at 105K or 7 years. Coolant and plugs probably also around that time. So really, not much for you to deal with now.

You can ask the dealer if they can trace any service records, and if not, IMO assume the fluids were never done and just check the 2 air filters. if they were never changed, they will be filthy.

edited January 2011
    FYI - front motor mount was shot and steering was getting stiffer. Dealer confirmed my local guy's diagnosis and replace motor mount under HondaCares warranty. Also replaced Power Steering Fluid Reservoir Bottle under TSB and did Master Brake Cylinder Recall update. All at zero cost to me. I LIKE these guys...!

Unrelated question: I need to replace the cloth inserts on the inside door pulls for the front doors. They've gotten disgustingly black with grime and dirt and can no longer be cleaned anymore. Can I get a replacement for just the cloth part (and how is it removed/installed) or do I have to by an entire inside door handle assembly (with the window switch and related switchgear)?

Thanks! :shades:
  • pachiefmanpachiefman Member Posts: 20
    I would do it at least every 60,000 miles. Honda recommends changing the timing belt at 60,000. I didn't do it until 85,000 but at that point, I replaced the water pump and coolant as well. Since the engine is already torn down to a degree, this is a no-brainer for an extra $200.00. I always use distilled water as well. It has no minerals to add to corrosion issues.
    edited January 2011
    My wife's 2007 Ody EX has a 6 disc CD changer. Recently, it just plumb quit - no sound, no LED readout - no ejection - no disc rotation or selection. Radio works - just the CD is busted.

Dealer says that they have to remove the player and send it out for repair. Dealer also says that, HondaCares warrantly notwithstanding, if the CD(s) stuck inside have adhesive labels on them, and that is the cause of the repair, we will have to pay for it and the warranty won't cover it.

I think this is unfair - I do not recall reading anything or being notified by Honda that putting a home burned CD or a CD-RW with an adhesive label on it into one of these devices is either ill-advised or a potential warranty voider.

Does anybody have any info. on this? I'm particularly interested in:
    - any TSB's or recalls
    - your thoughts on the warranty issue, and
    - anticipate cost of repair and/or alternatives to same

Thanks!

-FS :sick:
  • kaynine1kaynine1 Member Posts: 1
    yes i still have mine. what is it that you want to know??
  • karlh2karlh2 Member Posts: 2
    You got about 4 years use out of it, It probably will be under warranty, but do your self and your wife a favor and go to Crutchfield's website and get a better radio with MP3 and bluetooth. You can pay a professional to install it, takes about an hour. Throw the stock one in the trash where it belongs.
  • karlh2karlh2 Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention that if you wont to really splurge, you can get a radio with with satellite programing.
  • sshanaiahsshanaiah Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I h'v a 2010 odyssey EX-L that has done 4000 miles. I'm planning on a road trip that require me to drive over 1200miles. The oil range is aruond 80%. I would like to know if it is okay to do "maintenance A" before i start?

-SG
  • imoimo Member Posts: 16
    Oil change interval is around 7500 miles. I don't know how long your oil has been at the 80% mark, so let's say it's really at 85%.
    That means the oil can go for another 1125 miles (15% of 7500 miles).
    I think you can just take your trip and change the oil when you get back.
    you have it backwards. It starts at 100%, and when it hits 15% you are supposed to go in for service. so if he got 4K out of 20%, he won't be prompted to go in for quite a while yet, so no problem at all with doing a 1200 mile jaunt.

• steve1ellis2steve1ellis2 Member Posts: 1
    hi my name is steve
    i have 2005 honda odyssey and i bought the vehicle back in january.
    i bought used certified vehicle with the extra cover warranty.
    which they they told me its bumper to bumper cover warranty. i paid extra
    $2000 for it and soon as we sign and finish the paper work. we left the tomwood honda
    dealership. we stopped the vehicle at the traffic and we find there is problem with the
    vehicle and when we drive the vehicle there is shaking problem. and we called dealership right away. and they told me that we can get that fix anywhere in U.S cover with the warranty.
    because we were had to New Jersey right next day.
    so we went to local honda service in new jersey. and they dynostic the vehicle they couldn't find
    anything wrong. they told that there is somthing wrong with the tires.
    but i knew that there no big problem with the tires.
    and right next day. the vehicle steeling wheel were to hard to turn. and i took it back to the honda service. and they told me that steeling wheel oil pump need replace.
    in 3days since i bought the used certified vehicle cost me that problem. and even better honda care won't cover with that warranty. because its used certified vehicle before "Tomwood Honda"
    should fix the problem before they sold the vehicle because its certified.
    but they actually reanverse the invoice to me 2weeks later.
    but they still didn't find the main problem. and now almost 3months later. my brake pad went out.
    and before that van was still shaking. and one day i took at get it oil change and they find out there somthing wrong with caliber on the brake that's why it cause that problem, shaking problem.
    honda service they actually test the van 3time they never could find the problem. in 10 min oil change guy find out that caliber its went out that why lock the brake system cause the shaking.

so now i took it back to honda service and i told them that there is problem with caliber on the right hand side front passenger.
    and guy call me back in 5hours later they did find out caliber its went out. so they gonna fix it with the warranty and also they told me that my brake pad is also need to replaced.
    but i told them that the reason brake pads went out is because caliber. so honda should replace everthing. but they denied that. but i said its ok than just fix caliber for me.
    and guy told me that they get that ready in 2days.
    but rgiht next day they call me honda's not gonna cover with that warranty. because caliber went out because that brake pads.
    so what they trying to do here. is make customer pay everthing for it.
    and before i want a ask question we almost got in to big accident because that problem.

and my question is Tom Wood honda fiance maneger actully lie to us that warranty is cover bumper to bumper.
    what should i do with this situation?
    should i sue the dealership and honda care?
  • hondaoddityhondaoddity Member Posts: 25
    Wear parts aren't usually covered by "warranties" of any kind. Brakes, tires, alignments, light bulbs and the like are normally exempt from secondary warranties.

However, if you've had this only 3 months and appear to have a brake issue in such a short time, then this defect should have been caught if this was a HONDA CERTIFIED USED CAR. If this was a HONDA CERTIFIED USED CAR, then you need to contact Honda directly to get this resolved.

You should remain polite with the whole thing or else you won't get anywhere. Collect all of your paperwork, make records of all phone conversations, and copies of all letters.

You need to actually read all of your contracts and warranties to understand what your rights are.

Are you sure you have a Honda Extended warranty? I've never heard of Honda denying a claim when a Honda Dealer submits the repair.

Good luck.
  • crandocrando Member Posts: 1
    I have a V6 Accord and I believe it is at 105,000 miles for changing a timing belt.
    I just bought a 2007 Odyssey EX-L-RES with 68,800 miles. I went to https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com
    and developed a service record profile. As you have noticed, Honda is not forthcoming with the schedule. I found the following schedule at this location that states that for years 2000 and newer, change belt every 90k. The 60k statement from what I have found is for extreme conditions.
    http://www.thisoldhonda.org/maintenanceschedule.php

The previous owner did an outstanding job maintaining this vehicle and I hope to do the same since I plan on keeping it a while. My 1999 V6 Accord has 228k miles and gets about 24.5 mpg. I have a 2003 Pilot that has 185k miles that I will be selling soon. We have three little kids and the interior of the pilot has been put through the ringer. About 4 hours of scrubbing and detailing should brighten it up.
  • dougmgdougmg Member Posts: 13
    Recently my Odyssey has had a host of problems. The catalytic converter failed, cd player failed, it leaks. Now both of the sliding doors will not remain open. This is an intermittant problem. They fail to catch the latch mechanisms I guess. Anyone have this problem? Any recommendations? It has 31K on it, so is still under warranty.
    I need to replace the OEM Michelins on my '07 Ody EX. Good tires, but they get noisier as they wear.

Several of you have recommended Yoko Avid Tourings in the past. I see there is also a Yoko Avid TRZ. Is there much difference between the two? I'm looking for a good all-season tire. I put snow tires on the front in the winter (please don't start yelling at me about the 2 vs. 4 tires thing - already been there/done that on this site).

Any other recommendations?

Thanks! :-)

-FS
  • jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    Bought it new and it has only 17k miles. The first battery was dead 3 months ago with lots of blue residue around the + terminal. Bought a new battery from Pepboys and they cleaned the terminal.

Lots of the blue residue is now back on the + terminal. The battery is down to 11.5V, with battery connected and all devices shut. Turn the engine on, the voltage is 13.5V. So I assume the alternator is good and the battery is fair.

So I tried to figure out what caused the damage to the battery. I suspected there is current leakage. So I park the van overnight with all devices shut, remove the cable from the - terminal, and insert my multimeter inline. It's over 100mA (my multimeter maxout at 100mA). So my questions are:

1. Is this the correct procedure to test the leakage?
    2. What's the normal current reading? I think >100mA is way way too high. Shall it be 0 when all devices are shut?
    3. Do you think my battery is damaged by this current leakage?

I took my van to a shop with very good reputation. They claimed they found nothing wrong with my van, even though they admitted there's leakage.
    3+ years ago I think the TRZ was all that was available in the size/load range.

they are similar I believe, but the TRZ is T rated, and I believe a higher load range (the ody is about a 103 IIRC). basically a heavier duty tire.

they may have the avid tourings now in the right size and load range though. Thankfully, my TRZs are going to last 2x what the crappy OEM michelins did.