Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Care and Maintenance

Comments

• aaa_edgar_poeaaa_edgar_poe Member Posts: 24
    Oil is oil -- the length of the carbon chain. If you live in a warm climate, but not real hot, then use may lower numbers, the more mileage; at least the better mileage before the oils warms up -- if you drive far over 2 miles, then no difference after that (what one could do is change the oil by season, and event, such as a long drive in the heat, and keep on optimizing from then on -- but for the most part 10W-30 is good for most every one driving within 2 std dev. of the average). Also use this for cold climates. For how climates, or heavy dirving, use bigger numbers.

Read this for good info:

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/ford5w20.htm

Remember, the oil wight numbers are just an average of whats in the oil -- all oil has some loag and short carbon chains (synthetic oil just has carbon chains more concentrated of a specific lenght than non-synthetic). People give this about 20 times more worry then they should: (1) if it s really really cold use 0W-20; if its really really hot and you drive far, then use 10W-40; otherwise use any grade in between these two and stop worring yourself to death.

• athom504athom504 Member Posts: 1
    The backlight on my dash clock went out. Does anyone know how to remove to panel to get to the light bulb?
  • gunturguntur Member Posts: 19
    Rhino ramps as suggested by Ericam worked fine and there was no problem with body hitting the ramp before the tires did. Went underneath but failed to locate oil filter ? Is there a panel or something that needs to be removed to access or even be able to see oil filter and the drain plug ? Please advise. Thanks,
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    is visible if you remove the front right (passenger side) tire. It is up high and not easily seen from beneath the vehicle.

Steve
  • mablacksvmablacksv Member Posts: 5
    I need to replace the tires on my '01 EX. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

JP
  • djludjlu Member Posts: 3
    I took out the two screws behind the back door, but apparently there's a third screw somewhere which I am unable to find. Anyone have any thoughts where I should look?

Thanks.
  • hondabobhondabob Member Posts: 4
    I think it's time to give the Oddy a new coat - I just don't know what to use. Any recommendations? Polish or wax? Liquid or paste? Name brand? Is there anything special I need to know about the original finish? (it's an 02)

Thanks!
    Bob
  • lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    I am a rookie into this cult that I just found. We all seem to be attracted to this product called Zaino. To me at least it is worth every penny I spent. Let me warn you that the first day is a back breaker, but the outcome will make you very very happy.

Over at the maintenance forum, here is the link.
    lapvn "Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences (Part 2)" May 12, 2003 11:14am

I just started with this stuff about a month ago. It all depends on how much time, effort and money you want to spend in the beginning.
  • scruplekscruplek Member Posts: 33
    I have a 99 Odyssey approaching 105,000 miles. Manual recommends changing timing beltat 100,000 miles but it costs $800. Is it necessary to get this done ASAP?
    Thanks,
    Scruple k
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    $800??? That seems high for this service. Have you checked the Edmund's Maintenance Guide? It will list the parts and labor costs in your area. Click on the link in the left side bar to go to the Guide.
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    scruplek:

$800 Where do you live? Timing belt for 99 and up Odyseey is $269,95 in So California. If you add water pump and other stuffs price will go up. But not $800.-

Good luck!

bjk
  • chien1chien1 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have a suggestion for repairing a scratch on the 3rd row beach seat of my 2003 Ody ?
    It is so bad luck that a piece of sharp metal rubs through the top surface to create a 4 inch long line on the surface. Fortunately, it does not break through the whole layer, but only on the top surface. However, it looks really bad.
    I heared something before such as a repair kit or repair glue (adhesive), which can be used to fix this problem. In fact, if I push both sides together it look just fine, but I definetly need something to do so. I've looked for leather repair kits on the web and haven't come up with anything close to this, only find a repair kit to fix holes or cuts through the whole layer (so backing patch is used), but I do not think it is what I need.
  • gucci3gucci3 Member Posts: 8
    Honda's maintenance manual insists that genuine Honda coolant be used in my 2000 Odyssey. It even says if I have to use a different brand in an emergency to flush it out ASAP and replace with Honda coolant.
    Is Honda coolant that much different from others? Has anyone had any bad experience by not sticking to Honda coolant?
    gucci3:

Honda specified their own coolant and transmission fluid. Honda coolant probably is the same as others, but big question is warranty. Would you like to take the risk if Honda void their warrany due to aftremarket coolant?

bjk
  • scruplekscruplek Member Posts: 33
    I called the dealership back and got more info. They say it is a package deal: 750 bucks plus tax includes changing two belts and new water pump. Should I go to a private mechanic instead?
    Scruple k
    scruplek:
    For 99 Odyssey you pay $34.60 for Timing belt and $86.70 for new water pump check out www.ahmotor.com website price. In oder to get to timing belt you have to remove water pump. So to replace water pump with timing belt should just add water pump cost plus shop supply not double labor. Should be around $400 bucks my estimate. They are taking you to cleaners. Go to other dealers or call your local independant shop.
    Good luck!

bjk
  • sbpceapsbpceap Member Posts: 67
    I don't yet have a repair manual for my 2003 Odyssey. Does anyone know where the proper front and rear jacking points are if you are using a floor jack? Thanks.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Your owner's manual should show jack points - don't have to buy shop manual.
    Jack points are on rocker panels, about 6 inches behind front wheels, and 6 inches in front of rear wheels. Unfortunately, these rocker panel jack points conform to the head of the Honda supplied jack, you've gotta be careful with floor jack so you don't crush them.
       There are also two jack points on front and rear of van, basically on centerline of vehicle. They're about 3/4" thick pieces of steel bar that're bent into a "v" shape and welded to structural part of subframe. I use that with floor jack to raise both wheels and then place jack stands under rocker panel jack points.
  • sbpceapsbpceap Member Posts: 67
    Thanks for your help regarding safe jacking points. It seems that service manuals are not yet available for '03 Odysseys.
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    If your dealer doesn't have an '03 Ody shop manual in stock. Go to same place they buy it from:

http://www.helminc.com

By the way '04 literature is already there.
  • self_mechanicself_mechanic Member Posts: 95
    No where in the owner's manual mentions about the capacity of the transmission fluid for the automatic transmission. Does anyone know?

Alland
    9 QTS
    I just passed 30k, so am preparing for some scheduled & preventive maintanence. I placed an order with HandA-Accessories for the following:
    Oil filter & drain plug gasket
    Air filter
    Cabin HVAC filter
    Shin-Etsu grease for the door seals

I figure that I will drain the tranny & possibly flush the brakes while I am at it.

One item I cannot find, and hope someone will enlighten me - where is the fuel filter on this beast? I could not find it during a cursory look last night. I found some fuel lines coming up the firewall connected to what looks like a fuel regulator partially hidden under the engine shroud, then they appear to run directly to the fuel injector rails. Is the filter buried under the shroud, or maybe back by the gas tank???

Steve
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    why replace the brake fluid when you're probably due for a brake job in 10-20k miles? I'm guessing the tranny fluid should be good to 50k, although I have read the manual. My '02 is only on 19k.

no clue where the fuel filter is.
    Steve,

I live in a fairly rural area of NY's Hudson Valley. At 24 months we are at 31k miles. When I put on the snows, I was surprised at how much meat was left on the pads. I should have no problems getting another 1.5-2 years (maybe 50-60k miles) out of the brakes, and I feel that this length of time is really pushing it for brake fluid contamination. It might be a waste of my time and money, or it might pay dividends by reducing the chances of caliper piston bore pitting and corrosion. A tough call, but I am conservative (automotive speaking, not politically!).

Same with the tranny fluid. As delicate as these units seem to be, why wait? For $10 worth of fluid and an hour of my time, I might avoid headaches two years out???

Our weather extremes are enough for me to want to split the difference between the normal and severe service schedule.
    Anyhow, if anybody knows where that darn filter is, please let me know!

Thanks,

Steve
  • kilzokkilzok Member Posts: 2
    Hi, this may have been broached before but I could'nt find anything on it. I changed the oil on my '04 Oddessey at 3700 miles. I purchased the oil and filter at the dealer. The filter that I was sold is about 50%smaller than the one that was on the engine. The dealer parts person states that the same filter is being used on most of the Honda models. Is it o.k. to use an aftermarket filter thats rated for an earlier Oddessey? Is H. picking up on the great American engineering philosophy used in the 70s called "planned obsolescence"? Twenty weight oil seems to point to it also. Maybe Hondas werent wearing out fast enough?
    The claim is that the new smaller filter meets requirements for the engine. While I too equate 'big' with 'more', a change to better filtering media can indeed allow the same capacity and surface area in a smaller package.

Steve
  • anikaanika Member Posts: 1
    Hi, can anyone tell me where the pcv valve is located on my '00 ody. I bought a new one, but can't find anything that looks similar on the valve covers.
    On my '02, it looks to be on the rear bank cover, pretty much opposite where the oil filler is on the front bank. But when I looked at a diagram of the '00 (earlier engine), it appears to be somewhere else. I cannot make sense of the drawing.... Sorry.

Steve
  • buddyzunigabuddyzuniga Member Posts: 63
    I have Ivory leather interior. I clean the leather once a week. I have four kids 14,13,10,2. Even with the light colored seats you should not have a problem as long as you clean them regularly. Honestly when I do clean them they are not noticably dirty or anything. At the time of purchase I had Auto Armor applied to the paint and interior of my van. With Fern or beige? In my opinion the Ivory interior has a more luxurious look to it. Don't worry about the dirtyness with regular cleaning you'll be fine. Get the color you prefer and be happy. P.S Maguires leather hand wipes are what I use. They clean quickly and without any mess. Use one for the bottom portion of the seat and one for the back supporting portion, turning over at least once for each section. Good Luck.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    My goodness! In all my years of auto ownership, most with cloth seats, I doubt if I've averaged once a YEAR in cleaning the seats! I'd brush off any crumbs, of course, and spot clean when necessary (let's see, I can think of four or five instances in 35 years!). Then, I would vacuum the seats when time to sell. But, never once have I had any noticeable decline in appearance of the seats -- except the Toyota Corolla in which the vinyl interior basically began to disintegrate after 7 years in Hawaii (mostly out in the sun).

With my 3 and 5 year old children I've done nothing differently, yet our F150 we owned for 3 years (from when they were 1+ and almost-3)was immaculate inside and out when Carmax snapped it up for 2 Grand more than the GMC dealer would offer in trade. I will say that we don't tend to give them sticky, sweet things in the car. A little discipline (self and otherwise), taught early, goes a long way in many respects.

Yep, I guess I'd better rush out and buy leather seats so I can get more exercise and use up all that spare time I have every weekend! ;-)

Oh, and I almost forgot, I also get to pay a premium price for the privilege.
  • edinbelgiumedinbelgium Member Posts: 3
    We have a 04 Odyssey EX. My son knocked over his milk cup onto the floor between the two front seat. Of course he missed the mats. I soaked up the milk as best as I can with a shop vac. Now that the days are warm it smells like sour milk in a new van. Any suggestion on how to get it out????

Ed
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    Well, I Googled "sour milk smell"+carpet and did not find much in the way of good news. One question was almost exactly like yours on a forum, but it was still unanswered. The solution (sort of) was found at http://www.howtocleananything.com/tipdetails.asp?tid=1135

It may be small comfort, but I spilled a quart or more of milk down through the back seat of my '69 Camaro in late winter once. As I recall, it was late Summer before the little gooblers of things organic had sufficiently consumed the milk, then other gooblers had consumed the first ones' still-smelly byproducts, and then finally the smell subsided (or was it that I simply got used to it?)....
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This product is primarily used for pet odors/stains, but as this is an organic issue, I'd give it a shot. Go to your local pet store and pick up some Nature's Miracle. Follow the directions on the bottle. This stuff is amazing.
  • buddyzunigabuddyzuniga Member Posts: 63
    My two year old duaghter vomited on my O4' Ody's second row carpet. I used warm water and dish soap for initial clean up, and followed up with a couple of pumps of febreze. Pump it on the affected area and just let it set there. No oder left over. Hope it works for you. Good luck.
  • ub24982ub24982 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 odyssey EX with 63K miles. The van has been trouble free until today. As soon as I start my odyssey van, the engine idles at 2000 rpm for 3-5 seconds and drops to 1200 rpm and with in 2-3 seconds it jumps to 2000 rpm and the cycle repeates. Could someone please post a solution to my problem. Thank you
  • jovertjovert Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody tried cleaning their own fuel injection? How and what type of cleaner should i buy. I was offered by honda dealer for 119.95 to do this service for a 45k mile ody. I posted this to other site and advice me that its not worth it and just do it when i reached 65k or 100k mileage.

I need more advice thanks
    If your problems aren't too bad, I would try some of the 'over the counter' stuff. One of the better gas additives is supposed to be Techron, mfg'ed by Chevron. I believe it is the basic detergent additive in their gasoline, but is also available by the bottle in autoparts stores. Perfect for when you feel the need for a megadose of heavy duty solvents!

Steve
  • roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    I found Haynes has the book but it is hard to find. Honda of course has the best service manual but it costs $90. If you have one, which book you have? Thanks.
  • daisydavidaisydavi Member Posts: 5
    My dealer in Alpharetta GA is charging me $780 for the 105K mile service for my 2000 Ody, that includes everything, belt, new water pump, seals, fluids, spark plugs. I shopped around to independent shops and the price was only about $100 less to $100 more. Most of the area dealers are the same price.

I been happy with my dealer's service from the beginning, so I am still having the work done by them. I plan to drive my van another 50k miles.

I'm getting the job done this week while my car is still under warranty at 98K just in case anything else goes wrong.
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    On a regular basis, I run Marvel oil in the fuel of my Honda vehicles, as a fuel system cleaner & top cylinder lubricant. This is part of a preventive maintenance process. (4 ounces to each 10 gallons of fuel). I have run this product in all my land and water based vehicles. I have never had a fuel related problem, and my engines run very quiet and smooth. The product can be purchased at K-Mart or Pep Boys. Yes, it is safe for o2 sensors and cat converters.
  • paulc6661paulc6661 Member Posts: 16
    Can anyone tell what the dealer will do in the 7,500 mile maintenance for Odyssey04? How much does it usually cost (I'm in NJ)? Is it worth it? Do I still get the warranty if I skip it or do it by myself? I heard that dealer only does a oil change and rotating the tires for this kind of maintenance job but charge a premium. Of course they do lots of "free" checkings. Please give you input! Thanks!
  • sseell1sseell1 Member Posts: 5
    I recently moved to Salt Lake City and need to replace the tires on my '02 Ody. I plan to take the van into the mnts - should I buy all-season or snow tires? Any recommendations for specific brands or models would be appreciated.
    IIRC, it ran me about $75 at my dealership for the first checkup. $30 for the oil change, which included a multipoint check, and
    $35 or so for rotation and balancing of the tires. Throw in tax, 'disposal fees', 'shop supplies', etc. and you get the picture. I also had a piece of loose trim fixed, and had them check into a few odd sounds. Overall, I think it was worth it if the total tab remains under $100.

While it is indisputable if you have the dealer do it, your warrantee is protected as long as you can show that someone (even yourself) did the basics. Just keep some records....

Steve
    The decision on buying 'real' snow tires is one of need, cost, and putting up with the inconvenience of storage and tire changing. I do need to pull out onto unplowed / poorly plowed roads (plus my own 500ft, uphill driveway), so I did it for my '02 Ody. Ran around $700 for Dunlop Wintersport M2's on steel rims with covers from TireRack. I love them in any kind of bad weather. Plus it provides an excuse for me to check the brakes, boots and lithium grease lube all of the suspension bushings twice per year!

Steve
  • kjokjo Member Posts: 24
    This might sound really stupid, but I have a 2000 and my left rear brake light is out. First one ever and I have 77,000 miles. Anyway, I can't figure out how to get to the bulb. Has anyone ever replaced this bulb, and how?
  • bleasdellbleasdell Member Posts: 1
    I have an '02 which started doing nearly the same thing at about 75k miles. Did you ever get any response to this problem? I really want to avoid taking the van into the dealer.

Thanks in advance...
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    the owners manual will tell you how to get to the bulbs. Depending on which one it is, you either have to take off the plastic housing, or there will be an access panel from the interior of the car. Bulb replacement itself is simple, once you can get to it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kjokjo Member Posts: 24
    Thanks stickguy. It's on page 274 of the owners manual, bulb number is 7443, never saw one like this before, not your normal 1157 bulb.