Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• annejoe1668annejoe1668 Member Posts: 9
    That's great. Thanks!
  • aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    I've got a 2" hitch already installed for carry a bike rack, but recently purchased a tent trailer - it weighs about 1,500lbs.

Can anyone comment on installing the wiring and/or the tranny cooler? how much can I expect to pay for this?
  • wmesserwmesser Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the EX-RES and I have not been able to play DVD +R's. It gives me an "ERR" message. What program did you use to back up your movies? I wonder if that makes a difference? Also, what brand and speed of DVD +R are you using? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • mdowensmdowens Member Posts: 4
    I have purchased movies on DVDs, then had them edited and placed on a DVD+R by a company called CleanFlicks. I don't know what brand or speed of DVD+R that they use, nor what software that they use. These DVD+R copies from CleanFlick work just find in my Odyssey. Perhaps CleanFlicks could answer these questions for you.
  • vvvvvv Member Posts: 2
    Is the the standard security system in EX Odyssey equal to an alarm system? The sale person try to sell me the alarm system for 595 and said that EX does not come with alarm. Can anyone verify that?
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    The online parts stores don't list alarm addons for the EX.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/e/

I am not sure if the stock alarm has a glass breakage sensor though.

They already lied to you about the EX not having an alarm based upon your post in the Ody forum.
  • nlmtwonlmtwo Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone

We're looking at an 04 Odyssey EX and wondering if the center flip-up tray can be removed. Would like to add a better console. Has anyone done this?

Thanks
    sure it can be removed
    right from the hinge that it's attached to

at least you can on an '02 oddy

I think it's the same on the '04
    I've seen new Oddysey's being equipted with a self dimming rear view mirror with a digital compas and thermomoter.

Anyone had this installed?
    know how much it costs and if it's worth it.

I really wish I had a reading of the outside temperature - can't understand why the '02 didn't include this simple common feature.

thanks
  • dj55dj55 Member Posts: 6
    I installed the Donnelly self dimminig mirror with compass and outside temperature.

The OEM mirror is made by Donnelly and it is a pretty easy install.
    It took me about 45 minutes to install myself. The mirror costs about $185.

Contact rtamirrors@triton.net if interested.

Do a search on Honda Odyssey Donnelly mirror installation. I would post the link to the forum with the instruction but guess that is not allowed as my earlier post was deleted.
    where do you run the wire to for measuring the outside temp?
  • dj55dj55 Member Posts: 6
    Installing the mirror is pretty simple. Took me about 45 minutes the first time.

1. Grab the base of the old mirror and twist clockwise. You now should be able to slide it off the base. Slide the new Donnelly mirror on the base and twist to lock.
    2. Run the temperature thru the firewall and into the engine bay. The sensor should be mounted in the lower part of the grill next to the left foglight hole. If you open the hood you can see the solid rubber gasket close to the brake fluid tank. You will need to make a slit in the gasket to push the wire through. The wire should come out on the inside close to you gas pedal.
    3. You will need to pull the molding off on the left windshild side and run you cords under the molding and under the edge of the headliner.
    4. You will need to tap a wire or find a blank in the fuse box for power.
    5. There are detailed instructions and pictures on another odyssey forum but I am not allowed to post the link here.

You can send me an e-mail and I will send you the link or you can do a Google search on Honda Odyssey Donnelly Mirror install and you should be able to find the instructions and pictures.
  • wolfensteinwolfenstein Member Posts: 11
    Anyone do a comparison between the two? Which would you recommend? Of course, the Honda air deflector is twice as expensive. Is there any drilling required for the Lund?

But then again, after spending 25K, an extra $60 bucks isn't going to matter.

I made my email public, just in case you'd rather respond directly, as opposed to this public forum.
  • nard1977nard1977 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know whether or not it's possible to install an aftermarket power moonroof on an Odyssey? My wife and I bought an '04.
  • chopper1chopper1 Member Posts: 4
    nard1977
    Try American Sunroof Company site.Back in 1975 I had one installed in a new Volvo.( It was electric; all Volvo had at the time were manual windbacks.)
    They also install original type leather seats.
    Don't know what the prices are. My guess is that they have dealerships throughout the U.S.

chopper1
  • briancalgarybriancalgary Member Posts: 10
    Hi, Dennis,

What's your email, and where did you get the mirror? Is Donnelly better than Gentex's?

Thanks.

Brian
  • rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    Dennis,

I cannot get your e-mail address in your profile. Please check my profile and send me the link you mention to my e-mail. I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
    anyone heard anything official about how much you can tow behind an Oddysey ('02) WITHOUT the transmission cooler?

My local Honda mechanic said pulling a 1,700 lb tent trailer would not require the tranny cooler.

with that said, the car pulled the trailer, family, including dog and gear up to the Sierras better than my V8 truck and I still got over 20 MPG. Incredible performance with the 240 horse power engine that Honda has designed.
  • minivandriverminivandriver Member Posts: 13
    One of my complaints about the new 05 odyssey is that you don't get an auto dim mirror except in the the touring. You also don't get a trip computer. There is however an outside temp measurement in the dash on the EX-L. Anyone know a good autodim mirror I could install on the 05? or a trip computer for that matter.
  • mikem19mikem19 Member Posts: 1
    Considering an EX-L-can anyone comment on how useful the back-up sensors which are optional are?
    They seem like a good idea but would like commentsif possible.
    I was in a parking lot yesterday and someone's SUV was actually talking to the driver as he backed up it was giving a danger warning - funny to hear but I imagine annoying after a while. Thanks for any replies.
  • justmadebalejustmadebale Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2005 Ody exl with nav\dvd and was going to put a auto day/night mirror. Well to my supprise the only auto d\n mirror dealer had was the integrated one with compass and outside temp. The Ody already has outside temp on dash and the compass on nav so I was only looking for plain auto d/n mirror which I saw a picture of in one of their mini broshure. Sales person claims that the integrated mirror is the only option. With little research I find that Acura has just the mirror I'm looking for but they couldn't tell me if that can be installed on the 2005 Ody.......WTH!! somebody help !......
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    With little research I find that Acura has just the mirror I'm looking for but they couldn't tell me if that can be installed on the 2005 Ody.......WTH!! somebody help !......

Don't take this the wrong way but did you really expect a definitive answer if a part designed for another brand/model would fit in your car? I realize it's Honda/Acura but there are differences in the designs. The only way to find out is to experiment on your own.
  • observer2observer2 Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought Odyssey Touring with NAV/RES and love it!

Now I need to buy all-season floor mats and cargo tray. It is available with many dealers. But the available color is BLACK. My Odyssey has GRAY interior.

All the pictures online show a nice GRAY color. Should I wait for a GRAY? Or does Honda only may BLACK mats????!?!?!!

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/interior_accessories.asp?Mode- lName=Odyssey
  • billiebirdbilliebird Member Posts: 5
    I hear PIE is coming out with an aux input harness for hooking up an iPod to the '05 Odyssey EXL 6 disc player. Anyone get it installed yet?
  • hobbes4401hobbes4401 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Odyssey in need of an 8th seat. Does anyone know if the new PlusOne Seat can be used with the 2001 Odyssey? Or any other options?
  • elaineelaine Member Posts: 17
    Even if it physically fit, which is doubtful, you would not have a seatbelt. The seatbelt for the plus one comes down from the ceiling of the '05.
  • moo1moo1 Member Posts: 7
    I just bought an 05 Odyssey. I purchased the factory cross bars over the internet for the roof rack. Now that I am trying to install them, I seem to be missing a trick. Has anyone done this (I would assume that recent year models would probably work the same way)? You need to be able to slide an insert into the side rails but I can't figure out how to get the isnert in because of the end caps on the rails. Ideas?
  • odyhusbandodyhusband Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone bought a pet barrier for an '05? There's a big range in price and style - I'd like to get one I know will fit the first time, if anyone has any suggestions.
    thanks
  • atlodyatlody Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if you can buy/install a plus one seat after market into the touring model? I know it will just fit into the existing space. The problem maybe getting the color (mine is black leather interior which I dont think is available on any other models) and somehow getting a seatbelt installed.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
  • bamaptbamapt Member Posts: 25
    I have a EX-L and I am trying to decide what I need to get for the rear area (Cargo mat or tray). I found one web site that states that the cargo mat can be used with the 3rd row seat up or down. Does anyone have any further knowledge about these. I like the mat since it will cover the seats when hauling cargo with the seats down. However, I need it to be a good fit in the cargo area when the seats are up as well. I have a feeling Honda has them made where you will pretty much have to have both, but here's hoping not.
  • dollardollar Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Does anyone know how to get an aftermarket RES system to work with the Radios AUX input of the 2005 Odyssey EX? I am in the process of getting one installed and really do not want to use an FM Modulator.

Thanks in Advance.
  • macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    I installed a Lund Interceptor in my 04 Ody. It looks great and is less bulky than the Honda model. The Lund also installs with a half inch space from the hood to eliminate any paint damage caused when installed in contact with the hood.

Yes Lund does suggest drilling ones under the hood to screw/secure the deflector but I believe that by wedging the inserts between the rubber gasket and the hood itself may be tight enough.

Good Luck with your choice!
    I purchased a new 2004 Ody this past August to replace my failure prone 1996 Windstar. Happy to get rid of that POS and great to enjoy the performance and quality of the Ody.

However I wish that there was an Auto door lock feature when you accelerate from stop like there is in the Windstar and other vehicles.

Is there such an aftermarket kit available?
    Why did Honda not offer this feature in the first place?
    Are there any issues (safety or otherwise) that must be overcome?

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    This has been asked a few times before, but so far the answer from the Honda shop guys on the board has been no. I would love to have it also, but doesn't sound like either Honda or the aftermarket has stepped up to the challenge.

Steve
  • pkapka Member Posts: 56
    I am sure this is possible...I have a 93 accord...installed a alarm system for $149 many years ago and was offered by the installer this function of auto lock after starting the engine. I am sure it can be programmed into the circuitry....by a repair shop if not the dealer.
  • bbug1bbug1 Member Posts: 76
    We have an 05 EXL Nav/RES and are considering getting the subwoofer that Honda offers. Has anyone else added this and do you like the added sound and placement?
    I am wondering if I should shop around and get a better brand/quality sub.
    Any words of wisdom?
    as with any after market item
    I would almost always recommend going with a third party i.e. a car sound dealer/installer. You'll pay alot less and likely wind up with something that is comprible or better.
  • binbobinbo Member Posts: 6
    I'm about of getting the touring model as well, but my wife love the 8th seater. I think you can purchase a plus one seat at the part dealer but a problem is the seat belt
  • ctbuyer1ctbuyer1 Member Posts: 17
    Anyone install the mudguards on an ODY themselves?

I have a new O5 EX and would like to buy OEM mud guards and install them myself to save a few $.

Is it easy to do? Just a bolt or two on each, or more involved?

Thanks.
  • jeffinrtpjeffinrtp Member Posts: 21
    I'm expecting my factory splash guards to arrive Friday, so I don't have first hand experience. But, I have attached a link to the factory installation instuctions. Looks pretty easy - no drilling required. Hope this helps.
    http://www.cheapesthondaparts.com/instructions/ody/odysplash.pdf
  • bbug1bbug1 Member Posts: 76
    Big Problem! If safety is important (big reason why we bought a Honda) then do not install any seat that doesn't have a factory seatbelt. Just my opinion here.
  • usefulengineusefulengine Member Posts: 5
    I installed mudguards on our 2005 Ody last weekend. It is definitely a do-it-yourself job. No drilling required. You have to cut off a plastic snap-in nut for each of the rears, but it's not bad. There is one screw on each of the rears that is difficult to reach (not much room to get your hands in close enough). I thought I might have to remove the rear wheels to get enough room to reinstall the screw. But, I kept trying and finally got it. You'll know which screw I'm talking about. I ended up standing next to the wheel and reaching in with both hands (palms-up) to reach back and get the screw started. You'll need a very short screwdriver. A little ratchet with a phillips driver bit worked well. handaaccessories.com has instructions you can print. instructions did not come in the box with the guards
  • usefulengineusefulengine Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone bought the trailer towing package for the '05 Ody or know about its availability? I didn't see it listed as an accessory on the honda.com web site today. I thought I saw it there a few weeks ago.
  • minivan561minivan561 Member Posts: 23
    Hi All,

Are the wheel locks for a 2005 Ody EX the same as the ones for a 2004 Ody EX? Thanks.
  • deymayordeymayor Member Posts: 13
    I spoke with some Bestbuy/Circuit City installation guys and they said that the 2005 Ody EXL cannot accomodate any overhead RES because of the moonroof and the fact that the radio has a different antenna to put in an FM modulator. does one have any experience on this matter? dealer says they can install one but for $1300 (Audiovox 10.2 in.) but can't even give me the model number.
  • ctbuyer1ctbuyer1 Member Posts: 17
    I spoke with Honda USA directly (consumer line from their website) about the towing package, as I was told by my dealer that it was not available yet.

According to Honda, the towing package for the 05 Ody is now available; it became available as of December 1. However it may be another week or two before dealerships have them in stock. Several of the dealerships I visited had the tow package (hitch, harness, and coolers) on their accessories price lists back in early November.

You are correct, the tow package is not showing up on the Honda.com site.
    I agreed with you that it is a relatively easy do it yourself job as I did the same mud guard installation on my new 2004 Ody 3 months ago. i experienced the same as you described.

I also installed a genuine Honda leather steering wheel cover as well. This is worth the $42 cost from some web sites and was relatively easy to install as well. The steering wheel becomes much more substantial and made the Ody much more enjoyable and comfortable to drive.
    I believe that the wheel locks are different.
    If you go to www.handa-accessories.com, and compare the prices for the wheel locks for the 2004 vs the 2005, the price is $29 vs $58 which seems to imply that they are different.

Why are the 2004 cheaper? Because there are many more 2004 to 1999 models out there. The 2005 is new and over time as volume increases, price will drop.
  • pkapka Member Posts: 56
    Anybody who has the cargo board installed please comment....

Can the 3rd row seats fold into the cargo area with only the boards removed without removing the whole right and left assembly to which the boards attach?

Is it worth the cost?
  • frustr8dbuyerfrustr8dbuyer Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a EXL w/ RES and see that it is supposed to be XM Satellite Radio Ready. Does anyone have experience with getting the XM to work? Rumor has it this is not an inexpensive undertaking ($600 or so).

Thanks for your input.
This discussion has been closed.